- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Lorie added the cat scene, it was great.

JUSTIN 

 

Emmett arrived with the boys, he told me about Lindsay and Michael. He said Ted called while they were on the way home and said that other than the car being full of water, neither of the two were hurt. I looked at Gus to see if he was okay. He shrugged and asked if Jackson wanted to take Yum Yum upstairs and play. Gus told me that he has practice tomorrow and Alex wanted to know if I was coming. I nodded and the boys grabbed the kitten and ran off. I told them not to feed her any more.

 

“Do you think I should turn one of the rooms into a room for Gus? I want him to feel like he has a place here that’s his.” I ask Emmett. 

 

“Gus and Jackson probably like sharing a room.” Emmett tells me.

 

“I could turn the room that shares a bathroom into a playroom and the bedroom already has bunk beds so it would just be moving the stuff they play with into the other room and adding a dresser and desk for Gus in the bedroom for the boys.” I tell him.

 

“Thinking about moving in father Kinney too?” Emmett asks me.

 

“I was just thinking that with a crazy mother Gus needs stability. If Brian wants to stay, I won’t object.” I tell Emmett.

 

“I don’t think I would object either Mr Screamer.” Emmett smiles.

 

“I thought I imagined how good it was, it was my first time and I always thought it was great. You know, like you build up something in your head and it seems to get better every time you think about it. I thought maybe I made it more than it was, but last night proved I was underestimating what I remembered.” I tell Emmett.

 

“If you and Brian decide on another marathon, you should soundproof your room. Do you know how hard it is to find a reason for the moaning and thumping that would explain it to two little boys.” Emmett tells me. 

 

“We weren’t that loud were we?” I ask.

 

“I finally had to move us out to the pool room. I need details.” Emmett is hopping in his seat.

 

“We were just finished the first time and he was still hard. I jokingly told him he better not plan on sleeping and then he just started …” I look up to see Brian standing there, smirking. “Hey Brian, Emmett and I were talking about changing Jackson’s room so Gus and Jackson could share.

 

“And soundproofing ours so Honeycutt doesn’t have to be jealous,” Brian tells us, “Or maybe you could go back to living at your apartment, Emmett.”

 

“I’m not the only one spending time here, Kinney.” Emmett tells him. Brian looks around and asks what I did to Yum Yum.

 

“The boys wanted to play with her.” I tell him.

 

“YumYum is a boy.” Brian tells me, while Emmett nods his head in agreement like a bobble-head doll.

 

“I would think that with you both being fags you would have noticed, the cat has NO balls, which would make HIM a HER.” I tell the two of them.

 

“But we were calling him a good boy.” Emmett tells me.

 

“I don’t think she understands enough English for it to matter Emmett, so I don’t think she really cares. Now, could you bring in the stuff you bought, and I hope you remembered a litter box.”

 

Emmett and Brian go out to bring in the things they bought for the cat. Brian hands me four bags and tells me it’s the food. I start pulling out can after can of cat food. I hope this cat lives a long life. I look up to see them bringing in a climbing pole, a scratching mat, and a couple bags with sweaters- good luck dressing a cat. They tell me they got the litter box that self-cleans and Brian ordered the kitten jungle gym too. I look at my grown children and decide that as long as my house doesn’t become like a hoarders from 'shopaholic’s are us', I’ll let them have fun.

 

The boys come down with the cat and they are all trying to get the cat to play with the toys, I wanted to point out until the cat was able to digest the ten pounds of food it has already been fed, it probably wouldn’t play with anything but the litterbox.

 

LINDSAY

 

I told the police that they could take the car to the junkyard, I was through with it. It felt liberating to destroy Sam’s car and to be able to tell Michael what I really think of him. Michael was trying to accuse me of wanting to kill him. The cop told him he could file charges but no one was going to believe him since he could have gotten out and walked away. I told them Michael has always been touched in the head. I called a cab and think I owe it to Sam to make the house ready for sale. 

 

Sitting in the cab, I wanted to be angry at JJ for having Brian’s child, but I think I would get further by trying to befriend the little boy. With Sam gone I could try to convince Gus to come home more often, maybe invite his new brother. I called my mother and she offered to let me stay at their guest house until Sam’s done playing. That's how my mother sees affairs. 

 

I owe Michael though, for being a dick, so I make a call.

 

“Hello Lindsay, to what do I owe the pleasure of your call.” Mel sneers.

 

“You owe it to Michael for pissing me off. Michael didn’t get a lawyer or file for custody. He’s too busy using the money Ben gave him for a lawyer buying toys and hustlers.” I hang up and smile. Mel deserves to know, she really tried to be a good wife.

 

BRIAN

 

Justin invited Ted to stay for dinner, Ted told me that he found out that Ben put their house on the market. 

 

“Do you know why?” I ask Ted.

 

“Haven’t got a clue what he’s up to. Maybe they are looking for a new place. You still want me to buy it?” Ted asks me.

 

“I just don’t see what we could do with it, if they are moving we wouldn’t hurt them, we’d be helping them.” I tell Ted.

 

“Why not buy the house and the one next to it and build a halfway house for single fathers and to help get hustlers off the street.” Justin suggest.

 

“Why a halfway house?” I ask.

 

“You guys don’t like the people in the neighborhood right, because they try to be pillars of society but look down on people. Imagine what they would think of having a halfway house built in the neighborhood. They can’t openly say anything but they can quietly seethe when their house value drops.” Justin tell us, “Plus, you can get Deb to be the house mother and live there.”

 

“Could you see the look on Monty’s face if he had to say good morning to Deb everyday.” Emmett tells Ted.

 

“I still want to know why Ben is selling the house. Have Cynthia look into that. Go ahead and put in an offer for the house.” I tell Ted.

 

Justin mentions that Gus has practice and he wanted go to see his brother and Gus play. I asked Ted if we had anything urgent, he told me we were clear unless we sign more clients. I told him I would meet them at the field. Justin told me his mother was coming this weekend, if I wanted to meet her. I’m not big on the whole concept but I already know Jen, as a realtor, might as well meet her as my son’s grandmother. 

 

After the boys went to bed, Justin told us he was going too. I watched as he walked up the stairs and turn to see Emmett and Debbie staring at me.

 

“Brian just go, it’s not like you aren’t going to find a way into his room anyway, or has he worn you out?” Emmett asks me.

 

“Just keep the volume down. I don’t want to camp out in the pool house again.” Deb tells me. 

 

I get up and walk up the stairs to Justin’s room. I didn’t bother to knock, just walked in. He was in the shower, I stood and watched as the soap suds traveled down his body. He bent over to wash his legs and I decided he needs me to help with all those hard to reach places.

 

 

JUSTIN

 

I was on my way to the practice field with Jackson. I carried the cooler and had Jackson bring the sandwiches from the deli for me. Alex and Gus come running to help, Alex told me his mom was up in the bleachers and wanted to meet me. I get everything situated and asked the coach if Jackson could sit and watch with the boys, in case this doesn't go well. He agrees. I walk up to the woman who married Craig.

 

“Hi, I'm Anne. You have to be Justin.” She smiles at me. 

 

“It's really nice to meet you. Alex is a nice kid.” I tell her. 

 

“He was so excited to meet you. He came home and told me you were at the school with your son.” She tells me. 

 

“How did he connect me to Craig?” It was the thing I was trying to figure out.

 

“Molly talks about you. I think she wanted to rub it in Craig's face that even with being abandoned by him, you became successful. Molly constantly brings new pictures of Jackson over and tells Craig all about him and you.” Anne tells me.

 

“You know he’s going to demand you keep Alex away from me.”  I tell her. 

 

“I honestly only care what Alex wants. Craig is only interested in Alex when Alex does something he approves of, otherwise he’s too busy trying to impress people at the country club. I want Alex to grow up being able to accept people, not discriminate against people for things they can't and don’t need to change.” Anne tells me. 

 

“Don’t take this the wrong way, but why did you marry Craig?” I ask her.

 

“We seemed to want the same things. A family life, a home, and to raise Alex with both parents. Until we got married, Craig seemed like a great guy. If you were brought up in conversation, he made it sound like you ran away and went wild. Like you rejected him. I fell for it. My mother told me I should have talked to Jen and found out the truth. I was too busy believing Craig was a good man to pay attention.” Anne tells me.

 

“He wasn’t a bad father, until he found out about Jackson and that I was gay. If I had gotten a girl pregnant, he'd have probably been thrilled. I don’t want Alex to lose Craig because of me.” I tell her.

 

“Craig is losing Alex all on his own. Alex lost respect for Craig when he kicked my brother out of our house for being gay. He told Alex that my brother, Simon, was a bad example for him. Simon helped raise Alex, he was the one who showed up for all of Alex’s events and listened when Alex needed to talk. Simon became the father Craig wasn’t. I refuse to let Craig take away the person who loved my son, just because he's gay. If my son wants you in his life, then Craig accepts it, or he won’t be in Alex’s life. I want Alex to make up his own mind about people, not be a clone of Craig” Anne tells me. 

 

“Alex told me you were planning on divorcing Craig.” I tell her. 

 

“Not planning on it, I already filed. I shouldn't have married him in the first place. He lied to me from the beginning, I didn’t know he was married or even had kids. I broke it off when I found out. I wasn’t going to be a homewrecker. I found out I was pregnant with Alex a couple months later, and told Craig he could be a part of Alex’s life. Craig showed back up when he divorced your mom, and I gave him another chance. Craig wants a mindless doll, not a wife. My mother and father raised me to think for myself, not let a bigoted man tell me how to think.” Anne tells me.

 

“If Craig cuts you off, like he did to me and my mom, call me and I’ll help you any way you need.” I tell her. 

 

“I don’t need Craig for anything. My brother and I design gaming software together and I came into the marriage with more money than Craig has ever made. My mother told me to keep Craig out of my accounts. She hates him. Thank God I listened to her. She’s probably laughing that I finally kicked his ass out yesterday. Craig already has a mistress, I hope he enjoys her.” She tells me.

 

We talk about my life with Jackson and I tell her about Brian. She tells me if Brian doesn’t work out, her brother is always available. At my horrified look, she laughs and tells me Simon is ten years younger. I told her it wasn’t his age, it was imagining if Simon and I worked out. I would be my father’s brother-in-law. We were laughing so hard that everyone was looking at us. 

 

Brian showed up to the two of us still trying to stop laughing but failing miserably. He asked what us girls were laughing about, and I told him about her suggestion for a future boyfriend. 

 

“Why is everyone trying to get you a date?” Brian says.

 

“I’ve never had a date last more than half an hour, it would be nice to go on one.” I tell him.

 

“I can take you out, but we’d just end up getting drunk and making redneck dating jokes.” Anne jokes.

 

“I could go out with Simon and call Craig and tell him I might be his brother slash son.” I tell her. 

 

“I have an uncle who would do it just to piss off Craig, then you could be your father’s uncle.” She tells us.

 

“How about we skip all the incest and I take you out.” Brian offers. 

 

Anne nudges me to answer. I couldn’t. I mean we’ve only been around each other a few days. I don't want him to feel he has to do anything he doesn’t believe in. 

 

“Justin would love to go out with you, right Justin?” Anne tells Brian, and nudges me again.

 

“Sure, but I thought you didn’t date.” I tell him.

 

“I figured we already got the sex, and the kid, what harm would dating do at this point?” Brian asks me.

 

“Brian, since I’m Justin’s stepmother, I’m telling you to find a better way to ask my son on a date. I’ll tell Jen if you don’t.” Anne warns Brian.

 

“Justin would you like to join me on a date, where we will eat and carry on a conversation? Then I can take you to my place and fuck you silly.” Brian smirks at Anne as he says the last part.

 

“Justin, as your stepmother I’m ordering you to tell him yes, and give me details.” Anne tells me.