- Text Size +

BRIAN

 

Emmett comes back inside and tells me that Ben wants to talk to me. He holds his phone out to me.

 

“Why the fuck would I want to talk to Ben?” I ask, loud enough so Ben can hear.

 

“Just take the phone and listen before you offer your opinion.” Emmett tells me.

 

“Ben, you have one minute to make me stay on the line.” I tell him.

 

“I thought you might want to see Stepford Haven turn into Desperate Housewives.” Ben tells me.

 

“You just earned more time, Benny.” I tell him.

 

Ben tells me his plans for Michael, he wants to give us the opportunity to witness his revenge. I told him we’d bring the popcorn. I hang up and explain the call to everyone. I think Justin’s hags were a little too excited.

 

“When is this block party?” Natalie asks.

 

“Ben told us tomorrow night.” Emmett tells her.

 

“That’s not enough time, give me Ben’s number.” Natalie tells him. “Daphne call Stuart, promise him a hundred blow jobs if he can be here tomorrow, tell him to bring his equipment. Justin can you rent somewhere with a stage and a large floor?

 

“Brian owns a club.” Emmett tells her.

 

“Can we use it? You know what Emmett, it would be better to get Ben here to explain everything, tell him to bring the video. I need to call my staff and get them here. Justin call Alan and tell him to round up the troops. Deb if I make flyers can you pass them out on Liberty Avenue? We should add a cover charge to donate to the halfway house, it will also make the night a write off for the club.” She looks at me.

 

“Can I at least ask what your up to?” I ask, thoroughly confused at this point. She and Cynthia could compete for planning on the spot.

 

“Ben thinks too small, the people would be there long enough to see the start of whatever he has, before the room erupts and other than embarrassing everyone, he really accomplishes nothing. We turn his revenge into a charity event for all the ‘pillars’ to show up at, and tease them with glimpses of what Ben wants to show them. Make the snide comments sound like joking, but build it until the end is like a fast run of clips, think Benny Hill.” Natalie tells us. Justin told us Natalie likes to fuck with people, I think we all now know not to piss her off.

 

“We could do it on Friday, it gives me time to get Stuart to edit the video and I can get Brett to help turn it into a story. Then all we have to do is convince Michael’s neighborhood to come.” She tells us.

 

“Michael would show up if Brian invited him.” Emmett adds in.

 

“Only one problem with that, I told Michael to stay out of my life.” I mention.

 

“We’re talking about Michael, you say stay out of my life, he tells himself you’ll change your mind. So make nice with Michael.” Emmett tells me.

 

“I don’t want anything to do with him.” I point out.

 

“Start by inviting them all out to dinner, tell them you want them to meet Justin. Michael always wants to impress his friends. Justin is a successful author and painter. Michael will be the bell of the ball, letting them meet a successful gay man. They’ll be so busy trying to say they met the author of “The Adventures of Jacko and Gus” and Justin can slip in he wants to use Babylon to promote charitable works, they’ll be clamoring for an invitation.” Natalie puts in.

 

I told them to get with Cynthia. I want to know about the book they just mentioned. I used to read it to Gus when he was little. I grab Justin and tell Emmett to call Ted, then let me know if Ben agrees to come. I drag Justin into his office so we can talk about his past. Justin thinks it’s an invitation and starts trying to pull off my shirt.

 

“Wait, I think we need to talk about your past.” I tell him.

 

“You fucked me, I got pregnant, had Jackson and moved back. Now can we get on with me blowing you.” Justin tells me.

 

“Why did you name one of the characters in your book Gus? I remember reading that series to Gus. I bought them because Gus thought they were about him and the character Jacko having adventures.” I tell him.

 

“It was my way of giving Jackson a life with Gus. At the time I didn’t know if they would ever meet each other. I wrote and illustrated the books for Jackson. I couldn’t afford to buy books at the time and so I made them. Jackson needed lots of stimulation throughout his childhood.” Justin tells me.

 

“How did it go from you writing it for Jackson to best seller?” I ask him.

 

“Daphne’s Aunt Mary worked for a book publisher and wanted to see if she could shop it around. They offered a small fee for the rights and commission on every book if they sold. Mary made sure I didn’t sign exclusive rights to the publisher so I could renegotiate if the book did well. I kept my rights and the publisher paid me enough to keep the series printed under his company.” Justin tells me. “To clear the air; I paint, write two children’s series, I own a graphic design company with Stuart, Daphne’s boyfriend, and on occasion work for Brett Keller, when he needs help on storyboards.” Justin tells me. I feel like such an underachiever.

 

I look at the father of my son, who, instead of relying on other people, found ways to support himself and give Jackson a happy home, and all I can think is that Michael and Lindsay are children compared to him. Staring into his eyes, I can see a home if I want one for me and Gus.

 

BEN

 

I got a call back from Emmett, he told me that Natalie wants to talk to me. Before I could even ask who the hell is Natalie, Emmett starts giving me instructions.

 

“Natalie wants you to wait till Friday, so she can help you think big. She told me to tell you to bring the video because Brett Keller wants to help edit it to make it more exciting than just showing porn to the neighborhood. Natalie wants to use it as the show ender for the charity event she has planned for Babylon. She said she’ll even let you give a speech if you want. Brian and Ted wanted to talk to you about buying your house. Oh, and Brian is going to be nice to Michael, and we need you to not be a dick to Brian if any of this is going to work. I’m texting you the address, we’ll be waiting.” Emmett hangs up.

 

I was going to call him back and ask who the hell Natalie is, but it might be easier to just go there and find out. Michael is outside talking to Monty and the rest of the neighbors about the party. I guess I need to tell them, I might have to postpone. If I don’t like what Natalie thought up, I can always go ahead.

 

“Hey Michael, I have to go to the campus and pick up some things. I also wanted to mention to everyone that the movie I was going to show needs some re-editing. I got a call that they want to include it in some event this Friday.” I tell the guys.

 

“Ben, I was looking forward to your movie on impression. It sounded so interesting.” Michael gives me a pout. He can’t even remember it was oppression. Well, I didn’t tell him what it meant, so he probably thinks the words are interchangeable.

 

“I was so looking forward to giving you my present and showing you all the hard work that went into the film. Don’t worry, it will be worth the wait. I want to make sure you and Monty are front and center for the whole event. Maybe I can dedicate it to you and Eli, Monty and I are so lucky to have such wonderful husbands who love us.” I hope I didn’t roll my eyes.

 

“Ben that is so sweet. Eli would be so thrilled that you said that. We have always wanted everyone to see gay men can be as committed as the next couple. We don’t need others sleeping in our bed to be happy.” Monty tells us. I almost wanted to ask Michael if he and Eli were happy they had to share with Monty. It was time to go so I didn’t spoil the fun for Emmett’s Natalie.

 

MICHAEL

 

It was so hard to have to listen to Monty and Ben and not want to tell them both to shut up. Monty just likes to hear himself talk, and Ben can put you to sleep with all his lectures. I ask Ben how long he’d be gone, maybe I can spend some time with Paul and Eli today. We haven’t done a threesome in a while. Ben tells me it could be late but he would call.

 

After Ben left I told Monty I need to get stuff done at the house. I just wanted to get away from all the “what a great marriage Monty has" speech. My cell rings and I hope Ben isn’t calling to say he’s coming home earlier. I look and can’t believe it, Brian is calling me.

 

“Brian, wow, it’s been forever since you called me.” I tell him.

 

“I know, but I’ve been busy with a work and I want to finally introduce you to Justin. I know I’ve been harsh lately but Lindsay was fucking with Gus and I guess I took it out on you. I thought maybe you and the friends you tried to introduce me to would like to go out to dinner and meet Justin. He has a book signing and an art exhibit coming up. I think all your new friends would love to meet Justin. Plus we could spend some time together.” Brian tells me.

 

“When do you want to have dinner?” I ask him.

 

“We could do it Monday night. We need to make it around seven, I need to get home in time to put the children to bed.” Brian tells me.

 

“I could come over now and we could hang out.” I want to spend time with Brian, it’s been so long since it was just ‘Brian and Mikey.’

 

“I have a business meeting with my top execs today but why not meet me for lunch at the diner tomorrow we can hang out like we used too.” Brian tells me.

 

“I miss being around each other. I know you didn’t want to meet my friend, but it wouldn’t hurt, can I at least invite him to dinner.” I ask him.

 

“The more the merrier Mikey.” Brian hangs up the phone.

 

“Monty, my friend Brian wanted to invite us couples to dinner tomorrow night. He knows a guy who writes books and is a painter, thought  we could welcome him to our community. I think he said his name is Justin Taylor.” I tell them.

 

“Not the guy who wrote the adventure series about two little boys? We all read that to the children when they were babies. The books were all best sellers, Michael we could try to get him to speak at one of our committee meetings of the importance of reading to children. I can’t wait to tell everyone you're friends with a famous author.” Monty tells me.

 

I was going to say something snide about Justin, but everyone seems happy they are going to meet him. Brian and I can make fun of them kissing up to Justin. It’s time to work on bringing back the “Brian and Mikey show” permanently, with no twinks allowed.