- Text Size +

BRIAN 

 

Ted and Ben settled on an amount for the sale for the house, Ben told us the two houses beside his were vacant. Justin and Natalie told Ted they're buying those houses. Deb was worried about the money they were spending.

 

“Deb, it’s pocket change to us. Justin could buy half the neighborhood before he would have to worry.” Natalie tells her.

 

“I also like the idea of helping someone who wasn't as lucky as I was. I had a friend who stuck by me, and I was able to find a way to support Jackson without doing things other people have had to do. By having a place to go, so a hustler can get his life back together, or a pregnant teen can give their baby a better life than the streets, is worth any amount of money.” Justin tells her. 

 

Deb tells them she wants to be a part of it and is willing to sell her house to help. Natalie tells her to keep the house, she would be paying her part with mothering. She could rent out her house if she wants.

 

I laid in bed this morning watching Justin sleep, and wonder why I care about helping Ben. He could have walked away and started his life over without all this bullshit about revenge. When I don’t want someone in my life, they no longer exist for me. I don’t care if they suffer, or if they live happily ever after. The only reason I’m doing any of this is because Deb deserved better. I want Michael gone from my life, but he just keeps popping back in. Justin, Jackson, and Gus are the only people who matter to me. I look at Justin and I see Michael’s opposite in every way. Justin cares for people, they could be a beggar on the street and Justin would look and see a wounded vet that we all pass by. Michael would tell the guy to get a job and stop begging. Justin stayed with Gus that first day because he worried that a child was upset. Michael wouldn’t even have noticed. Justin is my future, so I need to get up and deal with the past one last time, both of them.

 

I got to my office and called my lawyer. I decide it’s time to use all the information we collected over the years on Lindsay. I thought I was doing the right thing letting Lindsay stay in Gus’s life, but watching Jackson, I know Lindsay is doing more harm than good. Gus told me she was interested in Jackson and keeps trying to get Gus to introduce them. I promised Justin that nothing would taint Jackson, and it’s time to keep my word. 

 

“Gabe, I want Lindsay out of Gus’s life,” I tell him.

 

“I told you the last time it was going to take using the information we have. I told you from the beginning it was better to lay it all out.” Gabe tells me.

 

“The judge wanted Gus to be able to still have contact with Lindsay. They still believe it’s better for Gus to be in contact with his mother.” I tell him.

 

“You didn’t let me tell them about her leaving him with some drugged out groupie of Sam’s so she could scream like a fishwife when Sam was screwing some woman at his show. If it hadn’t been for the gallery owner stopping the girl, she could have fed your son ecstasy. If we plan to go back to court, you agree to let me do my job and let the court hear how Lindsay worried more about herself then Gus.” Gabe tells me.

 

“I’m giving you permission to use anything that keeps her away from my children.” I tell him.

 

“Children? Brian is there something you didn’t tell me.” Gabe asks.

 

“I just found out, I have another child. And now Lindsay is trying to play mommy dearest to him.” I tell Gabe.

 

“I’m going to ask, and you need to not be an ass, are you sure the kid is yours? You're worth a lot of money Brian.” Gabe asks me.

 

“His father doesn’t need my money, he’s probably richer than me.” I tell Gabe.

 

“I’ll file today, I’ll send copies to Cynthia for you.” Gabe hangs up and I sit wondering if I’m doing the right thing.

 

“Brian, I wanted to come over early and see if you wanted to take a long lunch. We haven’t been able to talk without everyone around in a long time.” Michael tells me as he walks into my office. I almost called Cynthia and told her to fire whoever let him in. 

 

“Sure, you want to go to the diner, or do you think someone might kick your ass for what you did to Deb?” I smirk at him. I said I would try to be nice, not that I wasn’t going to take a few shots.

 

“I think we should look for a new place you and I can turn it into a new tradition. The ‘Brian and Mikey Show, a new beginning'.” Michael tells me. God he’s such an idiot.

 

“We should include Emmett and Ted, make it like a reunion.” I tell him.

 

“Brian, I think it’s time we dump the baggage. I think if you gave Monty, Eli, and Paul a chance, you’d see there is more to life that tricking and hanging out at clubs.” Michael tells me.

 

“I guess we’ll see tonight, when I meet all your new improved friends.” I say sarcastically. Michael nods and smiles, I guess he only heard what he wanted.

 

We leave and head to some high end deli, where Michael orders a meatball sub and makes a mess. I wanted to take pictures. This is Michael, the sophisticated gay man. Michael talks about Eli and Paul like they’re the second coming. All I can see is Michael with a tail and the nasally scream when he came on Eli. I shiver and want to spit the food out. Michael asked if I was cold. I told him I had to get back but would meet them at the restaurant tonight with Justin. Michael tells me if everyone hadn’t wanted to meet Justin, he would have suggested just he and I go out with them tonight. I left before I could tell Michael ‘not in this lifetime’.

 

MICHAEL

 

It was so great to hang out with Brian today. I made sure to talk up Paul, and told Paul to look his best tonight. I asked Ben to please be nice to Brian, we were trying to work on our friendship. Ben told me he was just there as arm candy. I laughed and told him that was Justin’s job tonight. Monty and Eli wanted to ride to the restaurant together. I let Monty sit in the front with Ben. I wanted to fuck around with Eli right in front of them, not that they would figure it out. Ben pulled up and told us to go in and he would park the car. We arrived in time to meet Paul with the hostess. I pulled Paul to the side.

 

“When Brian gets here, try to get him away from Justin.” I told him.

 

“Michael, let's just go in and I promise to flirt with him. I don’t want to piss him off the minute he gets here.” Paul tells me.

 

“Just make sure Brian get’s your number before he leaves, and try to arrange a date.” I tell him. Ben comes in and I walk to him. The hostess tells us Brian and Justin are already at the table. She leads us to the table and I want to run ahead and push Justin off Brian. They’re kissing each other. Brian looks up and welcomes us to the table.

 

I get seated on the other side of the table from Brian. I tried to get Monty to change seats with me, but Ben told me to sit down. I waited for Brian to say something but he just started introducing Justin to everyone. 

 

“Justin, I wanted to tell you, my children love your books. They just started reading the new young adult books.” Monty gushes. I want to smack him.

 

“My editor and I are thinking of putting in a ‘children to young adults’ category. I recently signed books for eight to fourteen year olds, it seems that I hit a younger market than we targeted.” Justin tells everyone. 

 

“Michael said you're a painter too. I was trying to find out if I’d seen your work.” Monty the suck up says.

 

“I paint under the name JJ Taylor. I was trying to separate my work. I wanted to be taken seriously as a painter.” Justin tells them.

 

“I think I own one of your paintings, it was called 'The Face of God'.” Paul, the traitor, puts in.

 

“That was one of my favorites, it was youthful folly. I thought I saw the face of God my first time venturing into the gay world.” Justin tells us. Brian starts smiling at Justin.

 

“What made you write children’s books?” Eli asks. What the fuck, Brian and I were suppose to talk, not these idiots. I start to get pissed, Justin isn’t that big a deal.

 

“Brian and I have a son together; Jackson is highly intelligent and normal children's books couldn’t keep his interest. I wanted something that helped kids learn faster than ‘see Dick and Jane run’, those books are great but I wanted something that challenged our children’s minds.” Justin tells us.

 

“We have a community gathering where we like to discuss ways to help our children and social issues, it would be great if you would agree to speak at one.” Monty tells Justin. I want to start screaming for them to shut up.

 

“My agent and I are hosting a charity event at Babylon Friday. Brian and I want to raise awareness of the young gay men on the street, and teens who find themselves abandoned by family when they find themselves pregnant. Brian wanted to show the people of Liberty Avenue that Babylon was more than a club that promotes promiscuity.” Justin tells all of them.

 

“Brian, I’m glad that you finally see that there is more to life than the backroom.” Monty tells him.

 

“Well Eli, Justin asked and really, could you say no to him? I figure whatever keeps me out of the dog house with the ball and chain works for me. You know what that’s like, since you and Monty never stray.” Brian tells Monty.

 

“Brian, I’m Monty, this man to my left is Eli.” Monty tells him.

 

“Sorry, you must just look alike because of your long monogamous marriage.” Brian jokes.

 

“I wanted to invite everyone here to the event on Friday. Feel free to invite all your friends, we want to make it successful. I plan on auctioning off a painting to raise money. Ben is working with a friend of mine, Brett Keller. Brett loved Ben’s movie and wanted to show it at the event.” Justin tells everyone.

 

Everyone starts talking to Ben, telling them they can’t wait to see it. I play the proud husband. I told Ben he should have introduced me to his new famous friends. Ben told me he was going to when we went to the event this Friday. 

 

Justin had everyone eating out of his hands and I wanted to tell them he was nothing but a trick that got knocked up. Brian was practically up his ass all night. I was so glad when everyone wanted to leave. I tried to catch up with Brian and get him to go for a drink with me. Ben kept talking to me and by the time I turned around Brian was gone. I didn’t even get to talk to him.

 

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian and I left the restaurant, both of glad to get out of there finally. I love playing WASP. It reminds me of my life growing up. Brian told me we were going to stay away from the morality police until Friday. I was fine with that. We spent the rest of the week taking care of the boys and leaving the planning to Natalie and the thirty people she brought to town. Natalie rented a hotel for everyone, after Brian told her he wanted to be able to have monkey sex without tripping over everyone.

 

I woke up this morning and almost told Brian he could go tonight by himself. The video of Michael and the crazy shit he does made me want to hurl. I told Natalie I would be there to help get it started but they could fill me in on the rest. I got up and just about fell back in bed. I need to start eating more, Brian and I seem to forget food when we look at each other. I get up slower and everything is normal again. 

 

Emmett was downstairs cooking breakfast for the boys. I walked in and kissed them on top of their heads. Emmett asks me if I want bacon. I looked at the greasy bacon and ran past Brian out of the room. The bacon smelled bad, I barely made it to the bathroom in time to throw up. I finally felt better and went back to get some toast. Brian told me he’d take the kids with him this morning, it was on his way. The boys told Brian they wanted me to take them. We stop for donuts on the way, it’s our secret. Brian told them he’d get them a donut, guess it wasn’t that big a secret. They grab their things and follow Brian out the door. I really wanted a donut. I tell Emmett we need to go get a couple dozen for the troops.

 

LINDSAY

 

I got papers from Brian’s lawyer, Brian is trying to make it so I can’t see Gus. I start reading the documents and can’t believe the things they listed. I mean it happened, but I didn’t know they had someone watching and photographing it. I ask my mother if I could talk to her lawyer, Stan, about the paperwork. 

 

Stan read the papers and told me that supervised visitation is the most I could hope for, even that could be challenged. I asked about the prenup that Sam and I have. He told me it would hold up, unless we could prove Sam was abusive. I told him Sam was emotionally abusive, he told me I needed witnesses and people who were willing to testify. That would be a total bust, I don’t have anyone who would do that. 

 

I left Stan and drove to the house Sam and I shared. I walked around the empty rooms, Sam had the house cleared out while I was staying with my mother. It was as empty as my life, maybe it’s time to let go of Brian and find my own place in the world. I sat on the floor of the bedroom and thought about the stupid decisions I made and wondered if you get redemption.

 

“Ever wonder why everything went to shit?” Sam asks me.

 

I turn and look at him, “No. It happened because instead of doing the right thing, I chased a dream. Sorry about your car, I just got mad.” I tell him.

 

“I can buy a new one. I only told you it was my favorite to see if you’d destroy it.” Sam tells me.

 

“Figures, I couldn’t even get that right.” I tell him. Sam sits next to me.

 

“We could try again, I miss the woman who would laugh at a joke.” He tells me.

 

“I miss the man who treated me like I was his muse.” I tell him.

 

“We should go to Paris.” Sam tells me.

 

“Why not, but I have to do one thing first.” I tell him.

 

I leave the house and drive to Brian’s office. I owe it to him to do this in person. I walk into his office and he looks like he would rather eat ground glass that speak to me.

 

“Brian, please listen. I know you don’t owe me anything, but listen. I need to apologize for everything. I wanted you, it didn’t matter who I hurt. I want to do one last thing and hope one day Gus will want to see me again.” I tell him. I hand him the agreement to stay out of Gus’s life until he turns eighteen.

 

“Why?” Brian asks me.

 

“To give Gus a good life, to say I’m sorry for everything and maybe one day Peter and Wendy can visit again. I’m going back to Sam, but this time I don’t want your ghost in our marriage. We’ll probably last till the next fight, but I made this bed.” I tell him.

 

“Good luck Lindsay.” That is all he said as I walked out the door. I whispered ‘Good-bye Peter’ under my breath.