- Text Size +

JUSTIN 

 

I had to pull over. What were the chances I'd run into Brian? Apparently really good. I was looking at traffic and turned to see Brian smiling at me. It was a ‘want to meet’ smile, not a ‘Justin where have you been’ smile. I just tore out like I was in a hurry. I’ve always been honest with Jackson about Brian, and told him that if he really wants to meet Brian I would try to make it possible. Jackson told me he wasn’t interested in meeting his sperm donor. I think Jackson doesn’t want his father to reject him. I always made sure my child knew he was loved and never felt like he was to blame for my mistakes. 

 

I finally get my head together and drive to Bright Futures Academy. It’s next to my old school. Mom tried to convince me St James might be a good school, but I told her with me being Jackson’s father, it could be the worst place to put him. I left St James with only the memories of torment. I won’t let them do it to my son. Mom knew about the bullies and tried to help, but I told her to just stop. I only had a month left and learned to keep my head down. I pretended to go to prom with Daphne but we just hung out at an all night diner instead. Mom thought we missed the getting our picture taken but otherwise never figured out we just didn’t go.

 

Jackson is waiting outside for me. He has the look he gets when he’s trying to solve a problem. I hope he gets it solved soon. I can’t go through him writing on every surface until it’s solved, again.

 

“Jackson, help me carry in the books.” I tell him.

 

“Dad, did you ever seen someone who could be your twin?” Jackson asks me. Please God, let Brian still be on Liberty Avenue.

 

“I think someone said everyone has a twin somewhere.” I tell him.

 

“I was waiting for you and this kid in a soccer uniform walked by, we really look alike. Well except he has darker hair and brown eyes.” He tells me. I'm relieved, it was just a kid he saw.

 

“Well, you're a dirty blonde with blue eyes so it doesn’t sound that much alike.” I tell him.

 

“True, but he looked a lot like me. My teacher came outside and asked why he was wearing a soccer uniform.” Jackson tells me.

 

“Did he answer?” I ask.

 

“No, because the teacher saw me and told the other guy sorry, but to get to school.” Jackson tells me. Strange, but nothing to get excited about.

 

We go to his class and all the kids were excited about the new books. I had started writing young adult books. I wanted to make a book about a kid with superpowers, who was smart and solved cases. The first book started slow in sales but word of mouth caused kids to beg their parents for a copy. My agent told me to work on the second and third books so we could publish them back to back. Jackson wanted to give copies of book two to his class. My agent said we could use them to gauge if we wanted to continue the series. I just love that my son is proud of my books.

 

I hung out with the kids and answered questions about the characters. The kids wanted to know everything about it. I finally got out of the class and told Jackson I’d pick him up after school. 

 

Walking out the door, I see the soccer player sitting on the side of the front entrance. He seems really upset and I can’t just walk by.

 

“Hey, you okay?” I ask him.

 

“No.” He tells me.

 

“Anything I could help you with? I’m good at listening.” I tell him.

 

I was going to shake his hand but I had a copy of my book in my hand. I put it down and sat next to poor kid. He looks at the book and picks it up. He starts to flip to the first page.

 

“How did you get a copy of the second book?” The kid asks me.

 

“I wrote it. I’m Cole Taylor.” I tell him.

 

“Really? I mean that is so cool. I love the first one and was waiting for you to release a new one.” The kid tells me.

 

“Since you know my name, what’s yours?” Jackson was right, they do look alike.

 

“Aiden Kinney. Well that’s not my real name, but it’s the name I want.” He tells me.

 

“What’s wrong with your real name?” This kid is too young to have an identity crisis.

 

“I don’t want anything to do with my birth mother. She tries to act sweet but she uses me to make my dad talk to her.” He tells me.

 

“Maybe she wants your dad back.” I hope that is all it’s about. People who use emotional blackmail on their kids should be erased from the planet.

 

“My Dad is gay, and she knew he was when he donated sperm for me. Mom just thinks men should fall all over her.” He tells me.

 

“How’s your dad handling it?”  I hope he at least has his father to help him.

 

“My dad is great. He fought for full custody and won. I live with him. It’s just, my mom showed up at the school and tried to convince me to come over to her house tonight. She wants me to be nice to someone’s kid.” He tells me.

 

“Is that why you're here?” I ask him.

 

“Yeah, I figured I would go back when she left, I’ve been watching her car.” He points at a car way down the street. 

 

“I’m sure the school is looking for you by now.” I tell him.

 

“My teacher thinks I went to the locker room to escape my mom.” He’s smart, and St James is still lax as ever.

 

“Want me to sit here with you until you can go back?” I ask him. It’s an upscale neighborhood but you never know who is driving down the street.

 

“If you want to. Could I ask you about the book? It’s coming out soon right?” Aidan asks me.

 

“In a couple of weeks, but take that copy. Just don’t let anybody see it till it’s released, okay?” I want to see him smile.

 

“Can I tell my Dad? We read the other book together.” He asks, and there is the smile.

 

“Sure, tell your Dad, here let me sign it for you.” I offer.

 

“Can you make it out to Gus Aiden Kinney, otherwise no one will believe it was for me.” He tells me.

 

“Hey, I like the name Gus. I named my teddy bear Gus, and I also helped to pick it out for a new baby once.” I tell him.

 

“That’s kind of neat, you like my name.” He seems happy about me liking his name.

 

We get distracted by two people yelling at each other down the street. Gus tells me it’s his parents. I wanted to run down there and tell the woman that if you love your kid you don’t use them. She slams her car door and drives off clipping Gus’s dad. We both start heading towards him. He gets up and walks back towards the school. Gus tells me bye and thanks me for the book. I watch until he gets in the building. Hopefully, getting to read my book makes up for a shitty day.

 

BRIAN

 

I walk into the school to see Lindsay being her usual shitty self. She is trying to order the school to let her take Gus. I took her name off the check out list when she tried to keep Gus the last time. I told the school to let me escort Lindsay out of the building. 

 

“Brian, I have every right to take Gus with me.” Lindsay tells me.

 

“You don’t have any rights, other than the forced visitation every other week. You can’t see Gus unless I say you can any other time.” I tell her.

 

“He’s my son too. I wanted him to meet a new friend's son at my house tonight.” She tells me.

 

“If it’s a friend of yours or Sam’s, Gus doesn’t need to be anywhere near them.” I tell her.

 

“Fuck you, Brian. At least my friends aren’t club hopping, drugged out tricks. I’m sure your son loves meeting your flavor of the night.” She sneers at me.

 

“Unlike you, I don’t bring perverts into Gus’s life.” I sneer back.

 

“If you had agreed to marry me, Gus would have had a normal life.” She screeches.

 

“Go home to your cheating asshole of a husband Lindsay. I guess being able to spend his money keeps you warm while he’s cheating with his groupies.” I tell her.

 

Lindsay gets in her car and peels out, she ends up clipping me with the car. I wish this school had cameras, so I could put her ass in jail. I get up and dust off, I need to check on Gus, Lindsay’s visits cause him emotional trauma. I was just about to head to the office, when he runs up behind me.

 

“Dad, you won’t believe what I’ve got.” Gus is happy. I’m thankful for that much.

 

“Is that the Cole Taylor book?” I wonder why he’s excited about his book. He’s had it for a year now.

 

“Yes, but it’s the second one.” He tells me.

 

“Gus, that book isn’t due out for a couple weeks.” I have it preordered for him.

 

“I know but I was waiting for you over at Bright Futures Academy and Cole Taylor came outside. He was really cool and gave me the book. He even signed it for me.” I think Cole Taylor just earned my eternal gratitude.

 

“That was really nice of him.” I tell Gus.

 

“He told me Gus was his teddy bear's name when he was a kid.” Gus tell me.

 

We walked to the soccer field and I tell Gus I’ll hold the book for him. I think about the kid who helped pick Gus’s name and I realize it’s the guy I saw getting in the car this afternoon. I always wondered what happened to the kid. Justin. That’s his name. Maybe I can catch up with Justin again. I kind of regret not looking for him, but he was too young for me to keep around.