- Text Size +

TED

 

When I walked into the kitchen, I knew why Deb wanted to talk to Brian alone. Brian’s genes must overpower anyone else's. Seeing the little boy sitting at the counter, I almost asked how Gus got here. If it wasn't for the hair and eyes, he could be Gus.

 

“Hi again, Ted.” Justin says.

 

“I didn’t expect to be meeting so soon.” I look at the kid then to Justin.

 

 

“Ted this is Jackson, Jackson this is Ted. Ted works for... Brian.” Justin tells Jackson. I hope he told the kid the truth about Brian.

 

“You know my other father?” Jackson asks me.

 

“I've known him for a long time.” I tell him.

 

“Is he nice?” Jackson asks me.

 

“Only to people he likes.” I tell him. The kid starts to fidget. “And to anybody he considers family he’s the nicest guy in the world, so you don't have to worry.”

 

Deb comes in and tells Justin to just tell him, don’t play games. Justin nods to her and walks out of the kitchen.

 

“Well kiddo, I hope you’re ready to meet your father. If I know him, he’s going to be in here the minute your dad tells him about you.” Deb tells Jackson.

 

“Would that make you my grandmother?” Jackson asks her.

 

“I would be honored to be your grandmother.” She tells him, tearing up.

 

We sit and wait to see how it went outside. I hear the door open and there is Brian, staring at Jackson. The poor kid is talking a mile a minute. Brian finally talks to him and Jackson didn’t have anything to worry about. Brian takes Jackson out of the room, but on his way out he tells me to get Blake to bring Gus.

 

“This is turning out to be one hell of a day.” I tell Justin.

 

“Dad, does the rule apply if other adults curse?” Jackson yells from the living room.

 

“Let’s worry about that later. Talk to your father.” Justin yells back.

 

“Justin, how did you meet Brian?” I ask him.

 

“I was on Liberty Avenue, he came out of a club.” I tell Ted.

 

“You're the kid he took to the hospital with him when Gus was born.” I knew I’d seen him before.

 

“Are you one of the guys we left on the street that night?” Justin asks.

 

“Yeah, it was me, Emmett, and Michael. Look, normally I would stay out of Brian’s personal life but he’s going to want to see Jackson. He had to fight for Gus and he will fight for Jackson if he has to.” I hope Justin won’t make this harder for Brian.

 

“As long as he treats Jackson right, he can see him anytime. Jackson will want to spend time with Brian too, and I want him to have more family. We already love Deb.” Justin smiles at her.

 

“Thank you Sunshine.” Deb smiles.

 

“The only condition I have is that Michael isn’t allowed around Jackson. I don’t care if they’re friends, but I don’t want anyone like that around my son.” I tell them.

 

“You don’t need to worry about that, none of us want anything to do with him.” I tell him. “I wish for Deb’s sake it wasn’t true, but we can’t change the way we feel about Michael.”

 

“What are we going to do about Michael? I really want to buy his house and up the interest rate.” Justin smirks at me.

 

“Well, first we are going to try to get Deb’s house back, if we can’t, then I’ll help you.” He tells us.

 

“No, you need to meet my agent. I like to call her when people piss me off. She likes to make people wish they weren’t born.” Justin is kind of scary.

 

“It’s my fault for trusting my son.” Deb tells us.

 

“No, it’s his fault that he’s a total douchebag.” Justin tells her.

 

Justin tells me he is going to call Natalie and his friend Daphne. I wonder what he is going to do. Blake calls and tells me he’s here. I walk outside to get him and Gus. Emmett came with them. Justin comes outside and Gus is yelling hello to him. Guess they met already.

 

GUS

 

Blake told me my Dad wanted me to come to where Deb is. I hope she’s okay. Emmett decided he wasn’t going to be left behind, so we all get in the car and head to the house Dad went to. Emmett was asking Blake why we were going to this guy Justin’s house.

 

“Brian wants Gus to meet someone.” Blake tells us.

 

“Did Teddy tell you anything else?” Emmett asks Blake.

 

“Yes, but I think I’ll let Brian tell you.” Blake tells Emmett. Emmett starts to pester Blake, he only stops when we reach the house thirty minutes later.

 

“Hey, it’s the kid Brian took home eight years ago. It was the night you were born Gus.” Uncle Em always amazes me, he can’t remember directions, but remembers anyone he’s ever seen.

 

“That’s Cole Taylor, he wrote the books I like.” I tell him and get out to see Cole.

 

“Hey Cole, I’m already halfway through your book.” I’m excited to see him again.

 

“I’m glad you like it. We need to go inside. Gus, normally people call me Justin, so don’t get confused when you hear it okay.” Justin tells me.

 

“Do you know why my Dad wanted me here?” I ask him.

 

“I do. How about we talk about it first and then it might make it easier.” Justin suggests.

 

Justin takes me to the kitchen and tells me about him and my dad. Then he tells me I was the baby he named Gus. I don’t mind the name Gus anymore, in fact I love it. He asks if I understood about men being able to have babies and I told him Liberty Avenue had a lot of that happening.

 

“Well, I’m one of those people, and I had a son, Jackson. He’s your Dad’s son too.” Justin tells me.

 

“Why haven’t I met you and Jackson before?” I ask him.

 

“I moved away and didn’t return till a couple weeks ago. I didn’t know your Dad’s last name, so he didn’t know either.” Justin tells me.

 

“Are you going to let my Dad see him? I don’t want him to have to fight for rights, like he had to with me.” I want to make sure Justin treats my dad well.

 

“You and he can both see Jackson as much as you like.” Justin tells me. I guess I still like him then.

 

Dad comes into the kitchen with the kid I saw at the smart kid school. Jackson smiles at me. I hope we like each other.

 

“I hope you don’t mind but I explained to Gus about Jackson.” Justin tells my dad.

 

“Jackson this is your brother Gus. Gus meet Jackson.” Dad introduces us.

 

“You want to see my room. Dad bought me a new game, if you'd like to play.” Jackson asks me.

 

“Can I Dad?” I ask.

 

“If you two want to, but we need to get dinner and I would like to spend time with you both.” Dad tells us, smiling more than I have seen in a long time.

 

“If you don’t mind eating here, I can cook us dinner.” Justin offers.

 

Everyone agrees to stay and Jackson takes me to his room. I see a copy of book three and decide Jackson and I need to talk.

 

BRIAN

 

I want to make sure Justin understands that I will be in my son’s life. If it’s another fight, I’ll do it. I ask Justin if we can talk in private. Deb and Emmett volunteer to make dinner. We walk to his study down the hall.

 

“Would you like a drink?” Justin asks.

 

“Beam, if you have it.” I need a drink. Justin pours me one and sits down.

 

“I guess we need to decide how to share a kid. It will be strange to have another person to help.” Justin tells me.

 

“Didn’t your parents help you?” I never thought about how he managed so young with a baby.

 

“They did until they found out. My friend Daphne stayed with me, but she had school. So for the most part it was just me. My mom is more involved now since she divorced my dad.” Justin tells me.

 

“Do I need to get a lawyer?” I need him to spell it out for me.

 

“If you want something on paper, sure. I just thought we could work it out between us. You can see Jackson all you want. Here or at your house. I was going to put a condition on his being with you, but Ted told me Michael isn’t a part of your lives.” Justin tells me.

 

“You remember Michael?” I ask him.

 

“No. But I got to meet the fucker when he accosted Deb. I think he’s pissed because I told him I was going to drop kick him into oncoming traffic.” Justin tells me.

 

“I wish you had. Michael isn’t a friend, and you can trust me that I don’t want either of my kids anywhere near him, or Lindsay. Although with Gus I have to make an exception because Lindsay’s his mother.” I make sure he knows not to let Jackson near Lindsay.

 

“Does she work at the Bloom Gallery?” Justin asks.

 

“I know she does at present, why?” I tell him.

 

“I didn’t recognize her. I mean I remember seeing her at the hospital, but she wasn’t all made up like she was at the gallery. Usually, I’m better with remembering faces, but she was really annoying and I just wanted to get away from her.” Justin tells me.

 

“Did she offer to be your muse?” I jokingly ask him.

 

“No, thank God. And well, even if I was into women it still wouldn’t work, she’s married to skeevy Sam. I call him that because he’s always trying to get into some young girl’s pants.” Justin laughs.

 

“We can talk about that later. Tell me about Jackson.” I didn’t get a lot of information out of Jackson. He was busy interrogating me. He even offered to let me move in.

 

“I really sheltered Jackson from people. First it was because he’s a child from two men, then it’s because Jackson is special. When he tells you he’s smart, he’s actually being modest. Jackson is genius level. I tried to keep him in normal school but he get’s bored and you don’t want him bored. He isn’t kidding when he said he could blow a crater in the yard. He’s outgoing and will talk to anyone. If he’s with you, make sure you set ground rules. He will obey them, while he figures out ways to get around them. Love him, because he already loves you.” Justin tells me.

 

“We’re going to share him and I hope you’ll allow Gus to hang out with him. I had a long fight over Gus and I don’t want to alienate them from each other if we don’t have to.” I tell him. I can’t believe he’s being this accommodating.

 

“I won’t use my son, and I expect the same from you.” Justin tells me.

 

I get a call and tell Justin to give me a minute. The tenant upstairs from me tells me Michael is harassing everyone who comes to the building. I tell her to call the police and have him removed. She tells me she will, with pleasure. Is Michael really that stupid?

 

“Sorry about that. Michael seems to be at my loft, trying to get in.” I tell him.

 

“You and Gus are welcome to stay here if you want. You can get to know Jackson and I would really like to know Gus better.” Justin offers.

 

“It might be better for me and Gus, if you're sure.” I really want to be able to stay.

 

“The house has eight bedrooms, so space isn’t a problem.” Justin tells me.

 

We go up to tell the boys, and find them reading a book and playing games. I’m amazed at their multitasking skills.

 

“Gus, Justin invited us to stay tonight, do you want to?” I think I already know the answer.

 

“Could we? Jackson and I go to the schools next to each other, so we could get dropped off together and picked up at the same place.” Gus needs to slow down. I think the boys are getting along.

 

“Dad, is it okay if Gus sleeps in here on the top bunk.” Jackson asks.

 

“Yes.” Justin and I both answer.

 

“Maybe you could call me Papa. That way we know who you're talking to, Jackson.” I tell him.

 

Deb yells that it’s time for dinner and we follow the boys to the kitchen. Justin tells me he wants to buy Deb’s house from Michael. I tell him I’ll do it. Justin told me it would please him to tell Michael that the freeloader bought it.