- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This one is dedicated to Lorie. Happy Birthday.

MICHAEL

 

I kept calling Brian so we could talk. Ted told me Brian wanted talk to me, but every time I call they hang up on me. I tried to tell the woman answering the phone that I’d already called and could they learn to push hold, but she just ignored me. I was heading to Brian’s office, but on the way I see a hustler that reminds me of Brian a little. I still have some of the money Ben gave me, so I get the guy to agree to a blow job for fifty bucks and since no one is at Ma’s house I take him there. We get in the door and he tells me that he wants the money upfront. I hate that, it's like he wanted to remind me he's only doing it to get paid. I handed him the fifty and pull down my pants.

 

“You think you can handle it.” I ask him.

 

“Yeah. Can I get this over with?” He asks me.

 

It was over too fast. I wanted to demand he do more, but I hear Emmett talking to someone outside and want to know why Emmett is here. I told the guy to wait and turn to the backdoor. The twink from the diner and Emmett are talking outside and I hear Emmett repeating what the twink said. Something about Brian giving the twink a blow job.

 

The kid has to be lying. Brian receives, he does not give. I wanted to go out there and call the twink a liar, but then the granny squad is with them. Betty will probably get rid of them, she hates men. I watch as the old biddy invites them over. She always tells me to go away.

 

I have to see Brian. He usually picks up Gus at school. I'll just meet him there to tell him about the lying little shit. I don’t want the shit lying about my best friend. People might actually believe him, and I can’t let him ruin Brian’s reputation like that.

 

JUSTIN

 

Emmett tells me he’s going to see Deb, and it was time for me to go to the schools. Jackson was hopping up and down ready to go watch Gus. We walk over to St James and see Gus standing there with a group of boys.

 

“Hey Cole, want to meet some of my friends?” Now I know why he said to bring a pen. “Guys, this is my brother Jackson, and his father Cole Taylor.”

 

All the kids have one of my books, Gus seems a little worried I’d be mad. I think it's great he wants to tell everyone about me and Jackson. I smile and tell the kids to bring their books out to the field and I'll sign each one. Gus smiles and tells them he knew I wouldn't mind. Jackson rolled his eyes.

 

“Gus, Dad always makes time for kids.” Jackson whispers to him.

 

“Gus, I need to get my messenger bag, I'll be right back. We’ll meet everyone out at the field.” I tell him. I ask the two older kids to come and help bring the cooler, I hope I didn't go overboard on the snacks and drinks.

 

Jackson and I run to the car and get my bag and a box out of the trunk. The boys take the cooler.

 

“If you guys want to take the cooler out to the field, it's full of drinks and things.” I tell them.

 

“Normally we get our own, but thank you sir.” One of the boys tells me.

 

 

“I usually bring stuff for school events, I hope that's okay.” I tell him.

 

“Everyone will be thrilled. My parents don't even show up. My dad will come for my games, but that's it.” He tells me.

 

“I can't imagine not showing up for Jackson’s things, but most people have to work.” I tell him.

 

“My dad just likes to show up for games, he said practice doesn't interest him.” He tells me.

 

We carry all the stuff to the field and the coach told me I could sign books at the table on the field. I smile and look to see half the school is out here. I need to call Natalie and tell her it's time to write book four, if kids are lining up with the first book. Jackson asks the coach if he could watch on the field, then Gus asks the coach if he and Jackson can kick the ball around until the team got their books signed. The coach said they could. I told the coach the team could go first. I feel bad about interrupting practice.

 

I was signing books when a teen comes up and tells me she loves my books. I ask if she brought a copy.

 

“I didn’t expect you to be here today. It sucks cause it's my birthday and it you could have written Happy Birthday in it.” She tells me.

 

I get book two out and ask for her name.

 

Lorie,

 

Thank you for enjoying my writing and I hope you have a great birthday.

 

Cole Taylor

 

“Happy Birthday.” I tell her.

 

“Wait, this is the second book.” She tells me.

 

“Everyone deserves to get a present on their birthday.” I tell her.

 

She runs off to show her friends, I get back to signing.

 

“Make it out to Michael.” I look up to see Michael standing there.

 

“I’m sorry, but I only sign for people who aren't assholes to their parents.” I smile at him, “plus, you don't want anything from a free loader.”

 

“What the hell are you doing here?” Michael sneers.

 

“I'm signing my books for the kids who attend the schools here. Why are you here?” I ask him.

 

“I came to tell my best friend about you lying.” Michael tells me.

 

“You came here to tell on me, for what?” Seriously, how old is this guy?

 

“You told Emmett that Brian blew you. I think he should know you're spreading lies.” Michael tells me.

 

“You know, you should tell Brian. And while you’re at it you can tell him why you felt the need to discuss something like that in front of kids. I'm sure the parents and coaches would love that, with your loud whiny voice nobody will miss a word.” I tell him.

 

“Fuck you. I want everyone to know you're a fucking lying twink.” Michael tells everyone.

 

I see the coach coming. I figure Michael can try to explain his need to talk about blow jobs in front of eight to twelve year olds.

 

“You should leave. No one talks to my Dad like that. Maybe if your mom had taught you better manners you wouldn't have kicked her out of her house yesterday. I told Dad no one should have to worry about being homeless when they have kids. He told me people like you don't care that she took care of you. You're a bad person and you need to stop threatening people all the time.” Jackson tells Michael.

 

Crap, I didn't want Michael to interact with Jackson.

 

“Gus, when your Dad gets here, he is going to be pissed at this guy. You need to stay with me.” He tells Jackson.

 

“My Dad is sitting right in front of you.” Jackson tells him.

 

Michael finally looks at Jackson, then he sees Gus coming up behind Jackson. Michael turns to look at me.

 

“You’d better not be trying to pass your brat off as Brian’s. I can't believe you would involve Gus in your scheme. Brian is going to make you wish you kept your lying ass away from his kid.” Michael tells me.

 

“Sir, do you have a child at this school?” The coach asks.

 

“No. But I'm here to keep him away from my friend's kid.” Michael says, pointing at Gus. “You need to worry about my friend Brian finding out you let this guy near Gus.” Michael tells him.

 

“My Dad called and told the school Justin could come. Coach, my dad doesn’t want Michael near me or my brother.” Gus tells the coach.

 

“Gus, don't believe what this guy is telling you. You don't have a brother.” Michael tells him.

 

“Yes I do. Jackson is my brother. He’s Dad’s kid with Justin.” Gus tells him. I want to stop this train wreck.

 

Michael starts yelling at Gus and telling the parents that we’re all liars. I've had it. I get up to tell Michael off. The security guys ask me to let them handle it. Michael tries to tell them he is protecting Gus from me, and when Brian finds out they kicked him off school grounds Brian will sue them. He is finally led off school property. The coach tells me they'll give him a no trespassing order.

 

I guess Jackson isn't going to be a secret.

 

BRIAN

 

I had just shown my last client out and told Cynthia I was going to finish for the day, when I hear Michael whiny voice yelling at the front desk.

 

“I don’t give a fuck if he told you not to disturb him, it’s important.” Michael tells the receptionist.

 

“Unless you have an appointment, you don't get in, SIR.” She tells him. Michael sees me and runs past the receptionist. She tries to stop him. I shake my head and decided to see what Michael ‘thinks’ is important.

 

“Brian you have to get to the school. There's a guy telling Gus that his kid is yours. I tried to get the coaches to listen, but they kicked me out. I came straight here to tell you. We need to go and tell them that the twink is a liar. You should have heard the crap he was telling Emmett earlier. Well, are we going?” Michael asks me.

 

“First, why were you at Gus’s school? I’ve already told you to stay away from my son. Second, you need to understand the meaning of ‘GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY LIFE’. I hope for your sake you didn’t scare the boys, if you did anything to upset Jackson or Gus, I’ll fucking end you, Michael. My children are off limits to you and your group. Now do me a favor and disappear before I start in about what you did to your mother.” I tell him. Michael stands there and absorbs what I just said.

 

“I don’t care what the twink told you, you need to tell him to stay away from you. He could be some deranged guy after your money and using Gus to get it.” Michael seems to have missed the ‘stay away from my kids’ part of the conversation.

 

“Listen to me Michael, are you listening? I told you before and this will be the last time I tell you. I don’t want to be your friend. I don’t want you trying to get involved in my life. And I don’t want you near my kids, either one of them. You’re a worthless piece of shit who treated his mother like crap. She was always defending you until you started treating everyone like they were beneath you. Everything you touch turns to shit and I don’t want to chance my family being tainted by you. You need to go home to your husband and pretend we were never friends. No one wants you around, you whiny piece of shit. Do I need to make it any clearer?” I tell him.

 

“You don’t mean that, I was the one who took care of you, all of our lives. You can’t turn your back on me. You need to remember what I did for you. You owe me.” Michael tells me.

 

“Michael, watch this.” I turn my back on him and go to my office. Cynthia called security and told them Michael is not welcome in the building.

 

“Think he’ll get it?” Ted asks me.

 

“Find out if we can buy Michael’s house. I want to make him understand I wasn’t playing games with him.” I tell Ted.

 

Jackson and Gus are going to be protected from both Michael and Lindsay.