- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

The house felt so empty now, any signs of life had disappeared along with Sunshine. Justin, she reminded herself. That’s what he said his name was, Justin Taylor. It had been two days since he left. Since then Brian hadn’t been over, too upset at her for the lies. She felt so alone.

“Breathe out,” her doctor said.

In the old days, him making house calls wasn’t so odd, but now it was something only the rich could afford. It wasn’t even her cardiologist; it was her family doctor. The same man that looked after her boys when they had colds. She trusted him, and would be sad when he finally did retire.

“I want you to get more rest. You’re sounding a bit worse from last time.”

“Yes, life seems to have taken a turn again. After losing Ardan, I didn’t think it could get any worse.”

“Well, you need to not stress so much. I’m going to refill your anxiety medication. Now, anything else before I go?”

“No,” she said quietly.

“That’s good. Is your son-in-law here? I really need to speak to him.”

Tears started to run freely down her face. She found herself spilling the beans about the whole ugly ordeal. He listened and grabbed her hand sympathetically.

“I’m sorry, Joanie. But it sounds like Brian was in the right. Having someone like that in your home, you don’t know what they’re capable of. It was generous of you to take him and his son into your house. Then for him to lie and scheme. I wonder who he was going to pass the new baby off on.”

“New baby?” Joan asked, confused.

Dr. Trigg looked a little embarrassed at what he just said. It seemed to be he didn’t mean to let that little tidbit out.

“Nothing, it’s nothing you need to worry about now.”

“Paul, you better tell me now what you meant.”

She wasn’t going to let him out of the room without telling her what he was talking about. Because, the way it sounded is that Sunshine was pregnant again. But if he was…who was the father? He almost never went out. When he did it was with Brian and his friends. Brian had said they had slept together and that was when everything went to hell.

“I can’t discuss another patient’s file with you,” he said apologetically.

“You better tell me right now what you meant?” she said sternly.

“Joan, please.”

“Paul.”

“Fine, when he came in a few days ago we ran some tests on him. Yesterday, one test came back with some surprising news. He’s pregnant. If I was to make a guess by the numbers, around a month.”

It matched from when Brian and Sunshine were together. She had a grandchild on the way. She still considered Ciaran her grandchild, but even Brian couldn’t argue with this one. He’d have to let the boy come back now.

“Thank you, doctor. I’ll get that rest, I promise.” After she called her son, she thought.


Justin had finally gotten the lawn looking better. Maybe now codes would stop going after them. The house was looking much better. He had cleaned the garbage out then washed all the linens. He had all the windows open while he dusted. Ciaran’s seemed to get a little sick from the air, so he needed fresh air flowing in.

“Have you heard from Mr. Thompson yet?” his father asked as he came down the newly repaired stairs. He had to replace one step and tighten the banister.

“Yes, he said that I could have my old job back. As of tomorrow, I’ll be working midnight shift at The Tyrant.”

“That’s great news. What about the baby? I’d love to take care of him but I can barely take care of myself.”

“Oh, I know, I understand. Mrs. Gentry said that she’d love to watch Ciaran.”

Mrs. Gentry had been his mother’s best friend. She was the only reason Justin ate most of his childhood after his mom died. His father would spend most of his money on booze. Mrs. Gentry would bring food for them or ask Justin to come over.

“That’s good, she’s a nosy, old bat though, I hope you know.”

“She’s your age, Dad,” Justin said with a laugh.

“Yeah, yeah, laugh at the old man. Do you think you could take me to my appointment?”

“Of course. When is it?”

His dad checked his watch. “About two hours.”

“Good, I’ll make us a quick lunch then we’ll be on our way.”

“You don’t have to make me anything,” Craig said pitifully. This was too easy.

“Yes I do, now come sit down at the table.”

In the last two days, Craig was more sure Justin would volunteer to give him part of his liver. Now all he had to do was let Justin hear about the possibility.

After lunch they took the baby over to Mrs. Gentry, she was looking after him while they were gone. Justin didn’t want to have the baby in the hospital. He was still feeling sick from the whatever that had made him sick. The doctor said it wasn’t the flu but wouldn’t know until all his tests came back. Looked like now he would just have to guess.

“Do you want to come in with me?” his dad asked him.

“Sure, I’d like to know more about what is going on.”

Ever since he came back, it was like his dad was a different man. He was the father he had always wished he’d have. Now that he had him, he would do anything to keep him.

“Mr. Taylor, Dr. Shaman is ready for you.”

Justin followed his father down a sterile hallway and into the third door they came too. It had the word LAB on the door.

“This won’t take a minute,” his father told him.

Soon, his father was done with getting his blood drawn and they headed to another room. This room was an examination room. He sat down in one of the chairs while his father got up on the table.

“She usually doesn’t take very long.”

His father wasn’t lying, not a minute later a tall, blonde woman in a white coat came in.

“Mr. Taylor, it’s good to see you. Oh, who is this?”

“This is my son Justin. Justin, this is Dr. Shaman.”

“Oh, I’m so glad to meet you Justin.”

“You too, Doctor.”

The appointment continued and Justin tried to decide what to do to help his father out more. Something caught his attention near the end of the appointment.

“What did you just say? What’s a live donor?”

“Oh, if a family member is a match or really any volunteer that is a match they can donate a portion of their liver.”

“And that would make him better?”

“Not completely, he’d been on anti-rejection meds for life and there is a chance it wouldn’t take in the first place.”

“But I’m willing to take that risk,” his father spoke up.

“What about me? Is it possible that I’m a match?”

Craig inwardly smiled, good old predictable Justin. So much like his mother. Jennifer would have been so proud.

“We can test your compatibility if you wish,” Dr. Shaman said.

“Yes, please. I want to see if I can help him.”

“Good, I’ll set it up.”


Brian was still ignoring his mother’s calls. It had been almost a week since he left her house. She had been crying about not wanting the liar to go. They had both lied to him but he felt it was more the interloper’s fault. His mother had just gone through a traumatic loss, then this man shows up and she knew she lost all three of them. Upon learning that it wasn’t Brandon but someone named Justin, he felt like he lost his brother all over again. Ciaran hadn’t been a part of Ardan. All traces of Ardan were gone.

“Mr. Kinney, you have a visitor,” his assistant, Cynthia told him over the intercom.

“I’m busy,” he said. He wasn’t in the mood for any loud mouths today.

“It’s your mother and Vic.”

Sighing, he relented. “Fine, let them in.”

His mother was wearing a solid navy blue business dress. “What are you doing here?”

“Well, I am majority owner still. I have a business meeting with Hilliard.”

Brian rolled his eyes, Joyce Hilliard still treated him like the little boy that peed in her rose garden.

“So what do I owe the pleasure of seeing you today?”

“Well, you haven’t returned any of my phone calls. So I decided to see if you were kidnapped by aliens.”

“No, mother. I’m just rather busy.”

“Aren’t you always. I’ve got news. I’m setting up a trust for Justin and Ciaran. They will be being getting a portion of the agency when I finally kick off.”

“What are you talking about? That liar is no longer in our lives. And it’s going to stay that way.”

“What about your child?”

“What are you talking about?”

“I see you didn’t check your messages from me.”

“I just wasn’t ready to hear you defend someone that lied to all of us. It’s still hard for me to forgive you.”

“Well, if you had listened you would have known Justin was pregnant when you kicked him out.”

“Pregnant?” He was shocked then suspicious. “He was probably lying to you Mother.”

 “He didn’t tell me; Dr. Trigg told me. He ran the tests when Sunshine was in to see him. The results came in after you had kicked Justin out.”

“Whose kid is it then?” He wasn’t about to believe that it was his. They had only been together once and he used protection.

“Could it be yours?” Both of them knew it could be.

“Doubtful, probably Emmett’s.”

“Emmett Honeycutt? Why do you say that?” Now that was doubtful.

“I know they slept together. I didn’t stay and watch who fucked who though. He also went to Connor’s hotel room once. He said he didn’t have sex with him but we know how much a liar he is.”

“Connor James? Ardan’s best friend. I thought he was straight.”

“Well, I thought I could trust you. Shit happens.”

“I understand that you’re still upset. But there is a chance you are the father. Don’t lie and say you couldn’t be. I don’t believe Justin was with anyone else. So please, can’t you just let him come back?”

“No, that’s final. If he comes back, I’ll have him arrested for impersonating Brandon.”

“What happened to you, Brian?”

“You did, Mother. You let me believe he was Ardan’s husband.”

“And you slept with him. That says more about you than me.”

She turned and left without another word. The words irritated him more than he would like to admit. Was he attracted to Sunshine because he believed he was Brandon?


“Well, I have good news and bad news,” Dr. Shaman told Justin.

“What?”

“Well, you are a match, that’s the good news. Bad news is that you can’t donate at the moment.”

“What do you mean?”

“You’re pregnant.”

Everything went black at those words.