- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

Brian pulled up in front of the rundown house, he knew was Justin’s father’s place. It looked like someone had just started fixing it up. That meant his guess, that the liar was hiding at his dad’s place was right. If Justin was here, that meant he would be trying to fix up the place for Ciaran. But no matter what he did, this place still looked like a dump.

After getting out of the car he could hear yelling from inside the house. The closer he got the more he could hear.

“I’m not.” That was Sunshine’s voice.

“Do you want me to die? Was I such a horrible father.”

Brian could hear Ciaran crying from where the voices were originating from. It worried him when he heard Ciaran’s crying just get louder with the voices.

“Of course not. This isn’t about that. I can’t terminate this pregnancy. Please, Dad, you have to understand.”

“You don’t tell me what to do; you’re worthless just like your mother. That thing is a bastard, nothing good can come from a bastard. You will get rid of it.”

“I told you, I’m keeping this baby. It’s mine, just as much as Ciaran. And unlike Ciaran, this baby has a grandmother that would love him.”

“Not likely. I’m guessing you have no idea who the other father is.”

“Ciaran is just fine with only me, so will this baby.”

“Right. I didn’t want a fag as a son, but if I had to have one you wouldn’t be the one I would choose.”

“What does that mean?” The baby in the background started to settle. Brian guessed that meant Sunshine picked him up.

“Let’s just say, they’d never get pregnant. Even if they were a freak like you.”

“Oh, so they would never bottom is that? I could tell you things that would make your head explode. Instead, I’m just going to pack my things and go.”

“You can’t.” There was panic in the voice.

“I don’t want to fight with you, Dad. But I’m not terminating this pregnancy. We can find another donor for you.”

There was a noise before Brian clearly heard a smack. The baby then started to cry, hard.

“You will get rid of that thing. And you will get rid of the one that’s already here. I’m sure there are lots of people would pay a pretty penny for a healthy, white baby.”

“Just because I don’t want you to die doesn’t mean I have to stay here for this,” Justin yelled.

“Where do you think you’ll go? You don’t have anywhere else. You’re pathetic. You’ve always been pathetic.”

Brian had heard enough. He tried the door, and was unsurprised when the doorknob turned. As he opened the door he saw Justin holding the baby to his chest while glaring at his father. Brian could see Justin’s face had a red hand print on it, explaining the hit he had heard.

“He does have a place to go,” Brian said, shocking both men.

“Brian?” Justin asked, his face showed his surprise.

“Who is this?” the older man asked.

“I’m the father of Ciaran and the baby he’s pregnant with.”

Justin felt his own jaw drop. Brian must had heard about what they were arguing about, but why was he there in the first place? And why had he said he was Ciaran’s father?

“You can’t be; he doesn’t even know who the father is. He’s a slut, just like his mother.”

Justin watched in horror as Brian swung at his father. Brian’s fist connected with his dad’s jaw, dropping the man to the floor with the impact. Looking down, Justin could see it knocked his dad out. When it looked like Brian was going to hit him again, Justin grabbed his arm. It was a dangerous move since he was holding Ciaran, but he couldn’t let Brian kill his dad. The man might be a first class jerk but he was still his dad.

“Stop, please,” he begged, yanking on Brian’s arm.

Brian rounded on him, and for a split second Justin thought he might take a swing at him. But then Brian’s eyes cleared and he looked down at Ciaran. It had been two months since he saw Brian. Two months since he found out that he was pregnant. Ever since then, it had been a never-ending fight with his dad. He’d been telling the man that he couldn’t abort the baby, finally it seemed he was getting desperate. Maybe because Justin was only four days away from his second trimester.

“Get your things, we’re getting out of here.”

That tone bothered Justin, he was tired of being told what to do. First his dad, then Ethan, then his dad again. He wanted to stand on his own two feet, after all he’d have two children soon.

“No,” he said, hoping he sounded stronger than he felt.

Brian couldn’t believe what he was hearing. This little twat was giving him a hard time. His temper was rising just looking at the little liar. It had taken him a while to calm down enough to come and see him. First, he just wanted to question him about the baby. That was until he heard the fight between Justin and his father. When his mother told him that Justin was pregnant, at first he accepted that he was his. Then the doubt settled in, that was until he confronted Emmett. Emmett told him about the fake tattoo Justin had helped him with. That explained Emmett but Brian didn’t know if Justin had really slept with Connor or not. He hoped the younger man had better taste.

“Is that baby you’re carrying mine?”

“Of course it is. You’re the only one I’ve slept with since Ciaran’s father, Ethan.”

That was something else he wanted to talk to Justin about. “What about Ciaran’s father? This Ethan, where is he?”

A groan sounded from the floor, Justin’s father was starting to come back around.

“Where do you want to take us?” Justin asked.

“Back home…to my mother’s,” he cleared up.

Justin decided he needed to be fully truthful with Brian. Secrets and lies only cause pain and anger. If he was going to have any kind of civil relationship with his unborn child’s father, then he needed to tell him everything.

His father groaned again. “I think we really should get out of here,” Justin said.

“Yeah, I’ll take Ciaran while you grab your things.”

Justin quickly ran up the stairs, packing mostly Ciaran’s things. He could deal with leaving most of his things behind. What mattered most was Ciaran. In a few months Justin’s clothes would be useless anyway. But he could say the same about Ciaran, at six months he was growing quickly out of his clothes.

Before he left the room he called Mrs. Gentry, so she could come and make sure his dad was alright. He felt bad about leaving after Brian hit him, but his dad had really scared him before Brian came in.

They left with his father glaring at them from the same spot he fell. Justin knew his father was no longer an option, he just hoped that they could find him a donor. Justin just didn’t want to have anything to do with him any longer. It was clear what his father really thought of him. There was no way he could let his children be around the man.

Once Ciaran was safely strapped into Brian’s fancy sedan, they set off. The car looked like it was brand new. For all Justin knew it was, maybe Brian buys a new car every week. He knew about the ‘Vette and the Jeep. But he could have a full garage of cars. Actually, that sounded about right.

“I need to tell you the truth,” he said quietly.

“That would be nice.”

“I met Ethan the first day I moved to New York. He was sweet, kind and more experienced, at least that’s what he made me think. He was also a musician, just starting his career. It didn’t take long for me to realize that I was just a warm body to him. He didn’t like when people paid me any attention though, he liked to be the center of attention. After I found out I was pregnant, he kicked me out. That’s when I got mixed up and got on the train that night. Ardan befriended me on the train, and then introduced me to Brandon. I only knew them for a little while before the accident. When I woke up, I really didn’t know who I was. I would have never gone to your mother’s if I had. But that first night my memory started to come back. I had nowhere else to go, and a baby to think about. So I kept quiet. Then you took me out and I met Connor.”

Justin saw Brian’s knuckles turn white as he gripped the steering wheel. “So you did have sex with him.”

“No, I told you I didn’t. But when I was in his hotel room, I saw someone I hoped never to see again.”

“Who?”

“Ethan.”

Brian looked over to him before looking back at the road in front of him. “Why was he there?”

“Apparently, he was Connor’s childhood friend.”

“Bull, we didn’t have any friend named Ethan. There was Ethan Renaldo but he wasn’t anyone’s friend.”

“Connor called him Patrick, I still don’t really understand it.”

“Patrick Carter?” Brian asked in disbelief. Ciaran couldn’t be that little weasel’s son. There was no way.

“I don’t know his real last name. I knew him as Ethan Gold, violinist and grade A snob.”

“That’s Patrick alright. What happened then?”

Justin hesitated, this was the time Brian kicks him out again. He decided to rush through it.

“Connor knew I wasn’t Brandon, he had seen a photo. When he found out Ethan was Ciaran’s father, he came up with a scheme. I agreed to it but wasn’t going to act on it, I have until Christmas to figure a way out.”

“What was the scheme?”

“To get you to marry me and pay off Ethan.”

Brian barked out a laugh. “You have to be joking.”

“I didn’t say it was a good scheme. Connor seems to really want you to hurt. He said you seduced him then told Ardan.”

“That’s a lie. He had this kink that he wanted to bed twins. He already had Ardan following him like a puppy dog. I made sure Ardan saw him for the scum he was. It ended their relationship. It was stupid of him to think I would marry you just because you batted those baby blues in my direction”

“Why did you sleep with me?”

“What?” Brian really didn’t want to get into it.

“Why did you fuck me? They said it was because you couldn’t stand Ardan having something you didn’t.”

“Are you asking me if I fucked you because I thought you were Ardan’s husband?”

“Yes, I’m asking that.”

“Fine, yes that’s why I did it.”

Even though that’s what he suspected, it still hurt to hear it. Ethan didn’t really want him, just kept him around because he was easy. Brian only slept with him because he thought he was his late brother’s husband. It was like a big cosmic joke on him. Every time he saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it would turn out to be a dying candle.

The drive back to Joan’s was quiet. He could tell Brian was thinking deeply about something.

“I think we should beat them at their own game.”

“What are you talking about?” Justin asked.

“I’m sure there was a threat in this scheme by Connor.” It wasn’t a question.

“He said Ethan would sue me for custody. He said as soon as you found out you’d kick me out, not off base there. He also pointed out what the truth would do to Joan’s heart.”

“I’m sure he did. This is the plan. We’re getting married.”

Justin sputtered.” “What in the hell are you talking about?”

“Well it’s like this, you are pregnant with my child. I won’t just write a check and be done with it. I have an appearance to uphold. Also my mother wants,” he said, gesturing between the two of them. “us to happen.”

“Wait, I thought she thought you were straight?”

“I told her the truth after you left. The old man is dead and gone, I don’t have to live in secret anymore, most everyone knew anyway. If you really think about it, it’s a perfect solution. You get a roof over your head, a great place to raise your children. You’ll have a beautiful home with just you and the kids.”

“Wait, where will you be?” Not that he was considering marrying Brian.

“At my loft, of course.”

“I thought you wanted to get married.”

“Well, yeah but only in name. We both will still have our own lives. I’ll still have the loft and my life. You can, I don’t know, maybe get a tennis instructor or gardner.”

Tears started to run down Justin’s face. He usually wasn’t so emotional, he blamed it on the hormones. In truth, he knew it was the best chance at a good life he would get. After all the lies and deceit, he knew he didn’t even deserve half of this.

“Can I still live with Joan? I don’t want to be in a big empty house with just the kids,” he asked quietly.

“Sure, I don’t care where you live. The only thing I ask is for you to pretend to be the happy husband at social functions.”

“Sure,” Justin whispered. Who needed love and devotion anyway?