- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Towards the end of this story there is a scene that depicts RAPE.   I ask that you please continue reading this story once you get there, because things are not what it seems and this is important for the plot, but that's like 20 chapters in so no worries.   To all my old readers I hope enjoy reading this, and to my new readers welcome to the Recovery Universe.

Chapter One
Everything Changes

“You’re not paying attention you need to follow my feet like this.” Justin stated as he showed Brian the steps of the new waltz.

“I assure you that I’m capable of pulling this off, I mean don’t you remember the prom.” Brian asked with a smile.

It was good being able to talk about the prom, an event for the longest time that Justin was unable to remember but he did now and now he didn’t know why he could have ever doubted that Brian loved him. If he would have had that memory a long time ago how things could have been so different. That didn’t matter now though. They were finally comfortable with each other, their anniversary was approaching and everything was finally right with the world.

“Why are you filming this?” Brian asked to his sixteen year old son Gus who was standing off to the side with the video camera.

“Justin says that you can learn the small mistakes that you are making, or that you can see how much you fidget when you’re nervous.”

“I do not!” Brian stated and did exactly what his son had just accused him of.

“Okay maybe a little, okay enough practice for now, I have got to meet Michael. I’ll see you later.” He said as he leaned in and gave Justin a kiss.

“Now for you, you are to drop me off at the club. You are to go and meet your friend who I have yet to meet, and then the two of you are to do whatever it is that kids do these days. Do not drink, do not drug, and return my baby in one piece.” Brian stated as he handed his keys over to his son.

“Are you sure he’s ready?” Justin teased.

“Justin.” Gus whined

“Oh yes he’s ready he’s got that Kinney whine down. I’ll see you later. As for you peanut, you be good for your daddy.” Brian said to his five year old daughter Isabella.

“I will daddy I promise.” She said with a smile.

Justin couldn’t help but smile at this situation. He and Brian had a daughter. One that they shared, they had no idea which of them father her but that didn’t matter she was loved. Sometimes he felt himself so happy that he knew that something was going to happen. Things had been quiet for too long. Brian had way passed forty and he didn’t even flinch, he was approaching fifty and he seemed happy. Oh yes the apocalypse had to be around the corner.

Michael would admit he was nervous about tonight. He was a young 45 and he was still nervous about talking to his best friend. Brian was his best friend still after everything that he had done to him. Their life had its ups and downs but in the end they could always count on each other. He thought back to two years ago when he had lost Ben. Brian had been there for him, had seen him through wanting to die. Now when he told him what he wanted to would he think he was foolish? No he wouldn’t he was Brian he was his best friend.

Gus sat in the back booth of the diner looking around cautiously. He didn’t want anyone to see him there, that’s why he had picked this place it was way out of the way of anything. Chris hadn’t met his parents yet and well that was going to be interesting. Telling Chris things about him slowly was the way to do things. When Chris met his father well that would be another story.

“Hey have you been waiting long?” Chris asked sliding into the booth.

“No I just got here, did you see it I told you my dad had a vintage “Vette I tell you sometimes it’s like he loves that thing more than me.” Gus said dejectedly.

Chris looked at Gus and knew that he was stressed. He did that thing with the pinch of his nose, and the rolling of his tongue in his mouth. He was nervous about something, had something on his mind. What she couldn’t possibly know but whatever it was it was worrying the hell out of him.

“Okay so I know how the rest of this little dinner is going to go, why don’t you tell me what’s bothering you so I can help you over it so I can enjoy the time with you that I have.” Chris stated.

“We’ve been seeing each other about for a while now Chris and I think that it’s time for us to take the next step. When I get home tonight I’m telling my parents and I thought maybe this weekend you come over and have dinner with us.” Gus said all in one breath before he chickened out.

“Really?” You mean I’m actually going to get to meet Brian Kinney. Without seeing on the cover of magazines or watching him on my television, I’m going to be able to be in the same room with him and carry on a conversation?” Chris asked unable to believe what was being said.

“Yea so I’ll talk to them tonight after I drop you off, and by the end of tonight they will know everything.” Gus said unable to keep the shiver from his voice.

Leaning in close Chris kissed him on the mouth sending him the reassurance that he needed.

“Gus it’s not the end of the world. You just look them directly in the face and you say dad, Justin I have something to say to you. I’m straight. It’s not the end of the world.” She said as she gave him one more squeeze as she looked at her menu to decide what she wanted to eat.


“And you’re not upset?” Michael asked as he and Brian walked down Liberty Avenue.

“Why would I be Mikey? I think it’s fucking fantastic. Brendan is a good guy, he’s no Ben. No one can compare to that guy, but he made you smile and brought the light back to your eyes so if can get a better position at the hospital in Detroit then I say pack your bags and go. Long term relationships blow and not in a good way. You would spend your time on our couch crying over your “brerry bear” or whatever the two of you are calling each other this week. So yea go, planes, emails, and phone calls can’t break us apart you know that.” Brian stated as he threw his arm around his old friend.

“Are you sure?” Michael asked for what had to be the fifth time.

“Yes I am sure, Christ you’re such a baby. We are approaching fifty Michael it’s time you get off my tit and put on your big boy pants.” Brian stated sarcastically.

“You’re right we are growing up aren’t we?” Michael asked pulling his friend even closer.

“Yea, who would have thought it you and I in a stable relationship? You’ve got a marriage under your belt now you’re the attractive widower with the hunky piece of eye candy on his arm, and well I’ve got Justin.”

“Yea you do, and when do you think you’re going to make an honest man out of him?” Michael asked seriously.

“The last time I tried to give him the picket fence he said I was a pod person, and he ran all the way to New York. You know what that did to me. How long it took me to even put up the courage to go and bring him back. When I did he still wasn’t sure. I don’t think he was sure until I told him I wanted Izzy. She made us a family. He believes in us now. We’ve got an anniversary coming up, maybe then we’ll take those rings from around our necks and place them on our fingers.” He stated referring to the fact that he and Justin wore their wedding bands around their necks on a black chord.

“Really?” Michael asked hoping his friend wasn’t pulling his leg.

“Let’s just say Emmett is planning one hell of a party, now let’s find a cab.”

Michael couldn’t keep the smile that was coming over his face on hearing that his friend was finally going to tie the knot with Justin. He would admit that in the old days he would have never wanted the two of them together but now they fit like had to glove. Brian had gotten all the way to the step of marriage before but he knew that in the end they would come to their senses. They were together and in love but must of that were brought on about fear of losing each other. They were both scared that something was going to break them apart. They had grown. Brian still was beautiful, he had aged gorgeously. He looked up at his friend standing there hailing a cab, he thought how much he was going to miss this. He didn’t even see that truck that struck Brian down when they rounded the corner.

Justin looked at his watch again, it was approaching two. Michael must really have a lot to talk about. He hoped that he and Brendan hadn’t broken up. He liked him; he was sort of like the male Daphne. After saying that he wondered if that was an insult or a compliment? He definitely meant for it to be a compliment. He would spend the next few moments picking up the family room Izzy really could tear a room to bits if given the chance. He’d pick up and then turn in. Gone were the days of worrying if Brian was out with someone else, although they still weren’t monogamous Brian tricked. He didn’t less often now and Justin had high hopes that he would be done with it completely soon. He was about to head upstairs when there was a knock on the door.

When he opened the door his blood ran cold. Captain Carl Horvath, Debbie, and Mel stood there all looking shell-shocked. He didn’t know what to say, but he knew this meant something was wrong.

“Is he dead?” he manage to croak out before holding on to the door frame after feeling lightheaded.

“Justin there was an accident an hour or so ago. Brian was involved in it, and well we think you better come with us down to the hospital as soon as you can.” Deb stated as she took him in her arms.

Justin clung to Debbie. He needed this comfort, he would have preferred his own mother but she wasn’t in any condition to be coming to him this late, and of course he would rather be with Brian but well you know why that was impossible. He needed to make sure Gus watched Izzy but he remembered where Brian was that night.

“Is Michael okay?” he asked concerned.

“My baby is doing good Justin thanks for asking. Apparently Brian and Michael were leaving Babylon and a truck came out of nowhere and struck Brian while he was hailing a cab. They can tell you more when you get there.” She said.

“Okay I just need to tell Gus what’s going.” He stated as he went back inside the house leaving them all still standing on the steps.


Justin didn’t have to go far, as soon as he spun around Gus stood there with a very sleepy Isabella in his arms.

“What’s the matter dad?” Gus asked.

Justin loved when Gus called him dad. He had known him sense the day that he was born and he had two moms and he was thrilled the day that Gus had decided that he was his second dad instead of Michael but right now he just didn’t need to see him standing there looking so much like his father holding their daughter asking him a question that he couldn’t answer.

“There’s been an accident. You’re grandma and grandpa are here to take me to the hospital.”

“Grandma and Grandpa!” Izzy shouted getting excited.

“Yes sweetheart, but they can’t play right now I have to go to the hospital to take care of your daddy okay, so what I need is for you to be a big girl and stay here an take care of Gus until I get back. Can you do that?”

“Yes daddy I’ll keep Gus in line.” Izzy stated in her strong voice which was meant for you to realize that she meant business.

Justin turned and got his PDA and important papers. He had to turn away from her before he broke down. He didn’t want his little girl to see how worried he was. He knew with Deb, Melanie, and Carl there that it was bad it was real bad. He didn’t tell Gus his mother was outside or she would know that things were bad too. He gently kissed them both and left the house praying to God that everything was alright. Little did he know from now on everything changes.