- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

A Short Chapter

Chapter Two

Obstacles Ahead



I really didn’t know what I expected when I got to the hospital. I don’t know maybe the rest of the gang that was still around in the waiting room crying or something like that but no, no one even came down. I looked at the clock and saw that it was after four. It was too early for folks to be around anyway, he couldn’t even remember if he had told anybody. Michael was right beside me holding my hand. A part of me wanted to smack him because that should be him in that bed, but I know that’s wrong of me. He had a family. A son, a daughter, a lover, it’s not fair for anyone of them to be there.


“Justin I swear to you, I didn’t even see the truck it came out of nowhere. It was one of those street sweeper things that get rid of rain or ice and stuff. It didn’t even slow down, Carl says that they’ll be an investigation. You know pop, when he puts his mind to something he’s not giving up until he has answers.” Michael said as he leaned back into his chair.


That brought a smile to Justin’s face. He liked the fact that Michael called Carl pop. They both knew that he was more than old enough when he finally married Deb for him not to call him that but after everything with Ben and Carl help Michael through it they had bonded somehow and now they were close like father and son. It gave him a warm feeling inside. That was until he saw the doctor approach.


“Justin Taylor?” he asked.


“Yes doctor that’s me, is Brian going to be okay?” I asked afraid of the answer.


“He must have had an angel on his shoulder tonight, there’s not a scratch on him. Now he did have severe trauma to his skull. Now the swelling is going down very slowly, he’s in a coma.”


“Will he wake up?” Michael asked afraid of the answer.


“I have seen nothing to indicate that Brian will have trouble with a full recovery. We just have to wait and see. As I said there was some trauma and well you know what that could entail.


“Yes. I still have some trouble holding things after all these years.” Justin said as his hand began to cramp as if it knew he was speaking about it.


“Well the question is, what kind of man was Brian Kinney before this happened to him? For a person to recover through a trauma like this even if they come out of it with no physical damage the emotional aspect of it all, he needs to have a good support system. Does he have that at home?” the doctor asked.


“I’ve loved that man since I was sixteen and he me. That’s the kind of man he was.” Justin stated bluntly. He wanted the man to realize that this was not silly love but something real.


“Well there you go, as long as he has someone that is going to be there for him, I don’t see why Brian couldn’t lead a normal life.” The doctor stated.


Justin didn’t like the way that he said that. That he could “lead a normal life.”


“Are you saying that things will be different?” Justin asked afraid of what the answer might be.


“Justin you of all people know what can happen when it comes to the brain. For now you will just have to wait and see.


“Can I see him?” Justin asked.


“They’ll be moving him soon, I’ll have someone come and escort you to his room once he’s there.


“Thanks.” He turned to go back to the waiting room with Michael.


He took a seat and took a photo of his family out of his wallet. He thought to himself how he had a family. He had a real family with Brian, Gus, and Isabella, what was all of this going to do to his kids.


Chris held Gus why he sobbed into her shoulder. She couldn’t believe she was at the famous Britin2. She had heard stories of the estate that was just off of Liberty and she had heard of the original that had burned down. Now she couldn’t wait to meet Brian and Justin but not like this. How could something like this happen? The driver of the truck was drunk and he was driving a city vehicle. She was no dummy she knew that they would be doing whatever they could to shut them up and keep quiet.


“Where’s your sister?” she asked as they took a seat on the couch.


“She went back to bed, it was easy. I told her that dad was in the hospital and she started thinking about the little shop that’s there and what’s she going to get him when she goes and see him. She’s just happy being his little “Peanut”. Oh god Christina what if he dies!” Gus stated unable to hold himself together any longer.


“It’s okay sweetheart. I’m here everything is going to be okay. Did you call your mother?” she asked gently.


Gus heart fell again he hadn’t even thought about his mother. She was going to freak when he called her. Maybe Melanie had done it. No he knew that cunt wouldn’t have done it, not when it came to Brian. She probably was passing champagne out in the waiting room.


“No.” was his one word reply.


“Give me the number; I’ll help you do it.


The wait was killing Justin. He just needed to see Brian. See him and know that everything was okay and then they would go from there. They could do anything as long as they were together right? He thought about his little family and Isabella. She loved Brian to death. He thought back to the past weekend and when he caught them when they didn’t think he was looking.


Flashback


Brian had heard her before he saw her. He wasn’t willing to let her know that he knew she was there so he just continued to get ready for his daily run. He picked his running shoes and went to sit on the bench at the foot of their bed careful not to wake Justin. He knew he liked to sleep late on the weekends unlike him and apparently his little peanut.


Brian put on his left and then right shoe, and began to stare at them. “Shit!” he said out loud causing Izzy who was standing in the doorway to jump and run inside in front of him.


“What’s wrong daddy?” she asked concerned.


“I can’t seem to remember how to tie my shoes.” Brian said seriously.


“Really?” she asked. “I have been learning all week with Justin he told me that I’m doing good.”


Brian was very proud of his daughter, she called both him and Justin daddy but if she was talking to one of them about the other she would call the other’s name. No one had taught her that, she did it on her own. She said that it was right, obviously more proof this kid was a Kinney but he didn’t dare tell Justin that. She was both there’s and of course her mother.


“Well I guess you are going to have to show me how to do it because I’ve forgotten.” He stated and couldn’t help but smile as she sat down on the floor in front of him and tied his sneakers.


“See daddy, I told ya I could do it.” She stated proudly.


“So you did. A skill like that deserves pancakes lets go see if we can eat a dozen before daddy gets up. I’ll even put chocolate chips want some Izzy.”


“Don’t call me Izzy!” she shouted at him.


“Why not isn’t that your name?” he asked seeming to be confused.


“Yes, but not for you, you never call me that.”


“I don’t.


“Daddy!” she said getting mad.


“Fine Peanut lets go and have breakfast while your dad sleeps the day away. First one to the kitchen gets to lick the spoon.”


That was all Izzy needed she ran from the room.


Brian couldn’t keep the smile off of his face. Izzy really was a beautiful young lady he was going to enjoy watching her grow up. Things were going to be different than with Gus he got to see all of this.


“The two of you are so cute together.” Justin stated breaking him from his thoughts.


“So how long have you been eavesdropping?” Brian asked.


“Long enough to see how adorable you are with your daughter.” Justin stated proudly.


“I’m not adorable.” Brian stated.


“Sure you are, I love seeing you together.”


“No lesbian moments Sunshine. Let’s go make breakfast.” Brian stated pulling his lover from the bed.


End flashback


Justin was pulled from his thoughts when the nurse came and told him that Brian was in his room now. He got up and followed her to the room. He could do this; Brian had come and saw him when his brains were bashed in he could go and see him after he had bounced off the pavement. He braced himself and opened the door to Brian’s room. He was very shocked at what he saw; there wasn’t a mark on him.