- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Another long chapter, but it had to be done.  I hope to wrap this up in 2/3 chapters.

CHAPTER 14 – GREEN EYES ONLY LOOK GOOD ON BRIAN KINNEY

 

DINER – TUESDAY MID MORNING

 

MICHAEL

 

                “I can’t believe how ill I felt.”  I moan to Ma.

 

I notice Carl look away in what seems to be amusement.

 

                “Well honey why’d you take the ziti in the first place, you knew that Zee was cooking.”

 

I shrug but before I can answer Brian and Justin come in, they grab the empty booth and Kiki takes their order.   Justin is on one side and Brian is stretched out on the other but before I could sit down ma reminds me to take my water and mint tea.  By the time I turn back Emmett has arrived and is sitting next to Brian who has his head resting against the wall.

 

                “Hey, how you feeling Mikey?”  Brian asks tiredly without opening his eyes.

 

                “Not great, a bit like you, bit late for you isn’t it?”  I ask sitting next to Justin.

 

                “Late night and someone needs the food that only this place serves.”  He replies his eyes still closed.

 

                “Hard night you mean?”  Emmett asks.

 

Justin giggles and beams at Brian who smirks back again without opening his eyes, I try not to roll my mine

 

                “You could say that.  Emmy Lou you could definitely say that.” 

 

                “Can we get the dish back?”  Ma asks squeezing in next to me.

 

                “That’s what I meant to ask you why you would bring the ziti in the first place, you missed out on some excellent food.  Seriously my girl can cook!  Shame about the truffled eggs and the main courses, Faal is firm on that and when he speaks people…”  Emmett starts

 

                “What does it have to do with him?”  I ask.

 

                “He’s her husband and…”  Justin starts to explain

 

                “Husband not master if she wants to give Emmett…” 

 

Emmett cuts me off.

 

                “No, again you misunderstand, he doesn’t want to share them with the whole world because they are special for them.  Do you know that’s his “you’re forgiven egg”.  Oh those wings and the oxtail…all that rich luscious meat was from the tail?  Did she say when she’s going to show you how to do the stew, Deb, I want to watch.” 

 

                “Can we not talk about food?  My stomach is still a bit delicate.”

 

And besides I would rather not hear how great Zee and Faal are right now.

 

                “You’re in a diner.  Not a place I would be if I was feeling food phobic.”  Justin smirks.

 

Just then Kiki arrives with their order.  And whilst Brian has just a coffee, Justin has ordered bacon, hash browns and an egg sunny side up and seems to take great pleasure in cracking into the yolk.

 

                “Excuse me ma, I need air!” 

 

I practically shove her out the booth and run out of the diner, I breathe deeply and wait for the queasiness to settle.

 

BRIAN

 

“Sheath those claws little tiger.”  I chide Justin

 

He looks at me like butter wouldn’t melt and swirls his hash brown into the yolk, offering it to me and I slowly lick the yolk off my lips, he blinks at me and replicates the action…I shift in my seat.

 

                “So what you boys up to today?”  Debbie asks coming back with coffee and water.

 

                “Have to do some work on my perspective and since Emmett is catering it we thought we would meet to brainstorm before I head back to the studio.”  Justin explains

 

I tap Emmett to get him to move and after sneaking the last hash brown off his plate and winking at his pout I head out.

 

                “Where you going Brian?”  Michael calls.

 

I am surprised he was still there.

 

                “Work Michael, I have to keep Justin in the manner to which he has become accustomed.”

 

MICHAEL

 

I’ll bet you do I think to myself.  I head back inside and retake my seat.

 

                “So what time’s your flight baby?”  Emmett asks.

 

                “At five.”  Justin mumbles sipping his coffee.  “The joys of NYC call.”  He explains to Ma.

 

                “Oh you going to be gone long?” 

 

                “Only a couple of days.  Look I have to go, Emmett, we’ll have to talk later okay.”

 

He kisses ma and Emmett and then is gone.  Suddenly I feel much better.

 

ZEE & FAAL’S NEW HOUSE – AKA THE TREE HOUSE

 

FAAL

 

I can’t believe how beautiful my home is.  We still have a shit load of unpacking to do but that is mostly clothes, she’s left the brownstone furnished.

 

                “Boys stop making out and come have a drink!”  I bellow up the stairs.

 

There is a significant pause before they come downstairs grinning.

 

                “Try not to christen anything until we are out of the house yes.”  I tease them

 

                “You are not fucking in my kitchen!”  Zee calls out.  “Seriously will nail your nuts with a knife!”

 

She comes into the lounge with a tray with champagne, beer and glasses.

 

                “Help yourselves boys.  Ben, Steve come on have a drink with us you’ve earned it!”  She calls out.

 

They come in and take a beer each, Matt and Steve reach for champagne…of course.

 

                “Seriously this place is just beautiful.  What made you do that to the trees?”  Steve asks

 

                “I don’t know.  But I think they work.”  She replies stroking the rug absentmindedly.

 

                “You think it works!  Mom are you kidding this place is gorgeous!” 

 

She smiles then seems to drift off a bit.

 

                “What is it?  You don’t seem as excited as the rest of us?”  I ask.

 

                “Oh nothing, it’s nothing don’t worry.  I am excited, maybe a little tired.”  She replies

 

The boys exchange looks and Matt casts his eyes upwards, taking their cue Ben and Steve say their goodbyes and it is just the two of us.

 

                “Come on what is it, you have been looking forward to moving in here for months and now we are here, you can barely raise a smile.”

 

                “I know I shouldn’t bring him up now but we are missing something about Cameron and it’s bugging the shit out of me!  It’s like an unreachable itch!  She grouses.

 

                “Let me put in some calls.  I’m with you we are missing something.”

 

                “Thanks sweetheart.”  She snuggles into my chest.  “I think we should light a fire don’t you?”

 

                “Literally or figuratively?”  I ask.

 

                “Both.”  She replies.

 

RED CAPE COMICS – EARLY EVENING

 

MICHAEL

 

Finally the last customer has gone and I make the call, I get his voicemail.

 

                “Hey Brian it’s me.   Are you ready for some best friend time?  I know you are going to be by yourself now that Bo... Justin has gone to NYC so let me know what time to get there.”

 

I lock up the store and head upstairs to wait for the call.  After about an hour I decide to head to Woody’s and am surprised to see Brian and Justin, I sit down and Brian is ignoring me.

 

                “What are you guys doing here?  I thought you were in NYC?  Didn’t you get my message Brian?  Brian?”

 

                “Having a drink, not until next Thursday and Brian is on the phone Michael and has been for the last hour or so.”  Justin sighs looking ruefully at Ted who was also on the phone speaking rapidly.

 

                “Thank fuck that’s over, well done Ted nice negotiating!  Oh hey Mikey is your stomach feeling better?”  He asks.

 

                “Oh yeah much thanks.  Want a drink?”

 

He shake his head at me and pulls Justin up from his seat.

 

                “I’m beat, Justin you’re driving tonight in every sense of the word.  Good night Mikey.”

 

                “But Brian I…”

 

And they are gone. 

 

                “Why do you look like someone’s kicked your puppy?”  Ted’s voice interrupts my thoughts.

 

                “I was hoping to spend some time with Brian but he doesn’t seem to have time for me anymore.” 

 

Ted snorts into his drink.

 

                “Why the snort?”  I demand.

 

                “Michael ever since David came back on the scene you been off radar and now he’s gone back to Portland you suddenly remember us.  You don’t get to play the abandoned friend card.”

 

                “That’s not true!”  I protest.

 

                “Yes it is.”  Ted replies calmly.  “And another thing, I thought you were rude…”

 

                “Rude when was I rude to you?  I haven’t even…”

 

                “Spoken to me, yeah I know.  That’s not what I meant, you were rude to bring the food on Saturday so it serves you right that you got a karmic ass kicking.”

 

                “Ted!  Where’s this coming from?”

 

                “You really don’t see the hurt you cause do you?” 

 

                “What hurt, when have I hurt you, is this because I am with David, are you jealous of that?”

 

                “I watched you dry hump David at the dinner, you didn’t care that Ben and Hunter were sitting there having to watch that display.”

 

                “He’s with Steve now!”

 

                “You really need to concentrate when people talk about stuff other than you, comics and Brian.  Steve is not with Ben he’s bisexual and the only relationship they have is friendship!”

 

                “Ted, why are you ripping me a new asshole for fuck sake?”  I growl.

 

                “Because you deserve it especially the way you treated Debbie after she fainted.”

 

                “I didn’t do anything to ma…”

 

                “Exactly, no flowers, no checking up on her, you did nothing!”

 

                “If you keep talking to me like that Ted we are going to fall out!”  I warn him.

 

                “Too late!”  He snaps and turns and leaves.

 

TED

 

Well I feel so much better for saying that.  I can’t believe how blinkered I have been to Michael’s actions and comments, the things he said about Justin and Hunter were hideously cruel.  I don’t think I can ever see him in the same light again and it makes me wonder what he would’ve said if Ben hadn’t stopped him in Woody’s the last time but it looks like I never have to listen to the whining asshole ever again. 

 

EMMETT

 

Wow just wow, how long has Teddy being storing that ass whipping up for?  Michael looks shell-shocked but I don’t have a jot of sympathy for him.  I am praying that he hasn’t seen me and just goes home.  Seems that my prayers are not to be answered.

 

                “Hey Ems, did you hear Ted?  Can you believe how he just spoke to me?”  He whines.

 

                “What do you want me to say Michael?  He’s right you were rude to bring the food, you were uncaring to Debbie and unnecessarily demonstrative in front of Ben and Hunter…and before you say that Ben and Steve are together trust me they are not.  Now I have to go.”

 

I pat him on the shoulder and leave.

 

MICHAEL

 

I head back to the store and notice the Vette is parked by the loft and someone is coming out the door, I just about manage to catch it before it closes.

 

                “Excuse me sir?” 

 

I look up in surprise at a desk clerk.

 

                “Can I help you?” 

 

                “No thanks I’m fine.” 

 

I head to the lift and push the button to call the lift, nothing happens.

 

                “You need a lift key sir do you have one?” 

 

        “Oh, no I don’t.  I’ll take the stairs then.”

 

        “I’m sorry sir but I can’t allow you to do that.  Unless you have a key to the building and the lift you can’t take the stairs…”

 

        “Look Brian…”

 

        “There is no resident called Brian that lives here sir; I’m afraid I am going to have to ask you to leave.”

 

I glower at him and hold my ground.

 

        “Brian Kinney owns the top loft and I’m his best friend!  I am going up there, now excuse me!”

 

        “As I said he’s not a resident here, but if you give me your name I can see if you’re on the approved visitors list.” 

 

        “Michael Novotny Bruckner.”  I drum my fingers on the desk.

 

He shakes his head.

 

                “Sorry sir, your name is not on there.  So if you please?”

 

He stands and comes round the desk then takes me firmly by the elbow escorts me out.  I am furious and immediately call Brian and of course Justin picks up.

 

                “Justin put Brian on!”  I demand.

 

                “Can’t he’s in the shower.  Will get him to call you back Michael.”

 

                “Can you at least let me in I need to talk to him!”  I snap.

 

                “Let you in?”  He sighs and after a beat says “I can’t see you.”

 

                “I’m outside Justin just open the fucking door!”

 

                “Not the way to gain entry Michael.”  He snarks.

 

I grimace and take a deep breath.

 

                “What is it Michael?”  Brian’s asks.

 

                “Finally can you let me in I need to talk to you.  Brian are you listening…hello?”

 

I can hear laughing, the sounds of hands being slapped away and a squeal.

 

                “Brian can you just let me in.  You can fuck Justin later!”  I yell.

 

                “Actually, he’s the one going to be doing the fucking…”

 

Again more giggling and the sound of kissing.  A wave of white anger flashes over me and I storm across the street and start leaning on the buzzer.

 

                “I am not going away until you answer the door!  Let me in Brian!  I have to talk to you!” 

 

Suddenly a voice booms from the intercom.

 

                “This isn’t Brian’s fucking loft, now get your hand of my bell or I call the police!”

 

The desk clerk comes to the door and I back off.  I stare at the phone and become aware of the groaning coming from the other end.  I can’t believe they’re fucking whilst he’s on the phone to me.  How dare he?  How dare he disrespect me like that?!

 

DINER – NEXT DAY – MID-MORNING

 

                “Morning Kiki”

 

                “Morning Michael, what will it be?”

 

                “Just coffee.”

 

                “Just coffee what?”  She asks.

 

I look up in confusion.

 

                “How about please and thank you?”  She asks tapping her notepad.

 

                “What is it pick on Michael week?  Please may I have a cup of coffee thanks, is that better?”

 

She shakes her head and turns away. 

 

                “Hi Brian, what no Sunshine today?”

 

                “Nope he’s painting.  Good morning Michael, so what was so important last night?”

 

I look at him coldly as he joins me at the counter.

 

                “Are you actually kidding me with that question?” 

 

                “Nope.  One minute you were desperate to speak to me the next you’d gone.”

 

                “I was gone!  I wanted to talk to you about the way Ted had behaved earlier and you thought fucking was more important!”  I whisper harshly and fold my arms.  “Well?”

 

                “Well what?”  He asks.

 

Before I could answer Emmett and Ted arrive and grab a booth, on spotting them Brian joins them.

 

                “Are you joining us Michael?”  Emmett asks whilst Ted says nothing.

 

I join them ending up sitting next to Emmett and I glower at both Brian and Ted.

 

                “Good morning, how are we all?” 

 

Faal plonks down next to Ted and signals coffee to Kiki and then orders a mint tea.

 

                “For Zee, she will be here soon, give the tea about 5 minutes yes Miss K?”  He asks

 

Kiki nods and flutters off smiling.

 

                “Morning all, how are – what’s wrong?”  Zee slides in next to me and looks round the booth.

 

                “No idea ask Michael.”  Brian sighs

 

She turns and looks at me and cocks an eyebrow and nudges me.

 

                “The quicker you say the quicker we can resolve the problem.”

 

I see Ted roll his eyes.

 

                “Well let’s start with I had a terrible evening thanks to Ted and wanted to speak to my best friend, who thought that fucking was more important than helping me…”

 

                “Helping you with what?”  She asks.

 

                “Trying to work out why Ted felt it was necessary to rip me a new asshole in Woody’s!”

 

                “You needed a new one ripped.”  Ted replies calmly.  “And I gave you my reasons for doing so.  Like I said last night if we have fallen out so be it, my life will go on.”

 

I see the looks exchanged between Zee, Faal and Brian.  Emmett was staring at Ted in amazement.

 

                “Okay, um thanks uh Ted.  So why are you mad at Brian then?”  Faal for once looks confused.

 

                “He thought fucking was more important than letting me in and talking this through!”

 

                “I can’t let in someone who is not outside!”  Brian snaps

 

                “I was outside!”  I snap back

 

                “No you weren’t, Justin couldn’t see you and when I checked you weren’t there…”

 

I ball my fists and take deep breaths.

 

                “I was! I was screaming and shouting outside!  I even had the supreme joy of listening to you go at it for 10 minutes, how could you disrespect me like that, it was bad enough that the fucking desk clerk wouldn’t let me take the stairs but for you to just…”

 

                “Desk…Michael where were you last night?”  Brian is beginning to smirk and I hate him right now.

 

                “The loft.  I saw the Vette…”

 

                “We were at Britin last night.” 

 

                “No you didn’t and you were disrespectful.”  Zee retorts

 

                “What, wait, you said that Justin was driving…”

 

                “His car.  I left mine at the loft to collect this morning.  Justin had canvases.”  He explains.

 

I could feel the blush creeping up my neck and Ted shakes his head.

 

                “What do you mean I was disrespectful?”  I ask her.

 

                “Isn’t it obvious?  You didn’t have to listen to them going at it as you say.  Clearly they got distracted and you were forgotten, the question is why didn’t you hang up when you realised?  Surely you’ve watched enough porn and are aware of his passion for Justin?  Seriously to listen for 10 minutes is just plain creepy.”  Faal shudders.

 

                “I-I…”  I stammer

 

Ted wipes his mouth and puts some money down.

 

                “See you at work Bri, excuse me Faal.” 

 

                “Actually Ted wait up.”  Brian calls out and they are gone.

 

BRIAN

 

                “So asshole ripping needs to be added to your resume then?”

 

Ted smiles and shrugs.

 

                “Had to be done.  After what he said and did I just can’t…”  He trails off.  “You know he was spouting off about me in Woody’s and if it hadn’t been for Ben…”

 

                “You’re a good man Theodore, and I am proud of you.” 

 

He stops walking and I turn to face him.

 

                “Come Ted our…”

 

                “But you don’t trust me enough do you?”  He asks

 

I am momentarily thrown by his question and pause.

 

                “Of course I do, we do, for fuck sake you’re our personal accountant what wrong; I would advise against ripping me a new asshole though…”

 

                “On Saturday it felt like I was missing out on something and…”

 

                “I see, let’s walk and talk.”  I reply

 

DINER

 

EMMETT

 

                “You what Michael?  What possible excuse do you have?” 

 

                “I thought they were in the loft and was trying to get in, which is where the 10 minutes came in.  I didn’t mean I was listening to them for 10 minutes.”

 

                “Uh huh.  Screaming and shouting but still able to hear your best friend fucking.”  Faal mumbles

 

Michael is fiddling with his cutlery with a mutinous expression on his face, this does not bode well.  He’s going to do something stupid again I can feel it.

 

FAAL

 

Zee and I exchange looks and then finish off our drinks. 

 

                “Well things to do and all that.  Coming my lig?”

 

She nods and follows me out, I loop my arm over her shoulder and she tucks her hand into my back pocket and gives my ass a squeeze. 

 

                “So you going to make the calls?”  She asks squinting up at me

 

                “Yeah.  What is it that we’re missing though?  He seems so sad about his boy I mean, 2nd time he has brought him up.”

 

She shrugs and suddenly stops and whistles hard, I wince as my ears ring, Matt and Hunter cross the road hand in hand.

 

                “Where you going?  She asks.  “Don’t you look spiffy?”

 

                “Spiff…that’s an actual word?”  Hunter snorts.

 

                “He’s got an interview at the gallery uptown so thought I would go for moral support.”  Matt explains

 

I turn Hunter to face me and immediately undo his tie and redo it.

 

                “Much better.” 

 

He shakes his head and smiles.

 

                “Just what the world needs another guy who is anal about ties.”

 

                “Who…oh Brian, well he’s right a tie has to be tied perfectly.”

 

                “This from the man who doesn’t actually wear one.”  Hunter cocks his head cheekily at me.

 

                “But when I do they are perfect.  What time is your interview do you need a lift?”  I ask.

 

                “In an hour and yeah please.”  He replies.

 

I kiss Zee goodbye and shepherd them to the car. 

 

RED CAPE COMICS

 

MICHAEL

 

I am so fucking pissed.  The way they insinuated I was like some peeping Tom last night was just so wrong.  Who the hell does Ted think he is embarrassing me like that!  How can my day get any worse?  Ah in comes Ben.  Great just great.

 

                “Morning Michael.  Have you spoken to Jenny?”

 

                “I haven’t got round to it yet.”  I mutter.

 

                “Haven’t got…”

 

He takes a deep breath and then hands me an envelope.

 

                “Maybe this will speed things along.”    He leans against one of the racks and waits.

 

I open the envelope and it is the divorce papers.

 

                “You didn’t waste any time…” 

 

                “What are you talking about?  You have moved on to David as you blatantly demonstrated.  So this is the next step.”

 

                “So this is jealousy because I can do stuff with David that I can’t do with you.”  I sneer

 

He shakes his head and looks and me with what could only be described as pity.

 

                “I was jealous…”

 

                “Because David is everything that I can get in a man…”

 

He sighs and holds up his hand.

 

                “Let me know when you’ve spoken to Jenny.”

 

And with that he is gone.

 

COFFEE SHOP

 

BEN

 

I am so glad that’s over and done with, I wonder what he’s going to say to Jenny, I must give Mel a heads up about the papers.  I am musing about life in general when my phone goes and it’s Ted, who wants to meet up with me as soon as possible.  I tell him where I am and wait.

 

                “Ben, how are you?  Right have you served the divorce papers?  Have you told Jenny or are you relying on Michael to do that, I wouldn’t rely on the latter being a good reflection on you.  The payments you agreed to make to Jenny’s college fund was that a written or verbal agreement?

 

                “Verbal, I said I would do the same as him and I told Jenny face to face after Michael said he would tell her and well he’s not done so far…”

 

He nods vigorously and smiles.

 

                “Even better.  Right the payments for Jenny they came through your account yes?  I need a list of all the financials you and Michael hold jointly together, anything that could be proven he contributed, how much you contributed to the store – I assume you did – and copies of your POA, your wills everything.”

 

I look at him stunned.

 

                “Uh Ted…”

 

                “Contain your twink was the beginning of the end for me.”  He answers grimly.

 

THE TREE HOUSE

 

ZEE

 

                “Zaden Stark.  Oh hey Chris, no he’s not he’s on duty so they roll to me.  Oh right, no let me have it, it’s for me anyway.  What?  No repeat that what?!”

 

I sit down and just stare at the phone for a while, that cannot be right.  I need to put some calls in.

 

BRITIN – JUSTIN’S STUDIO

 

JUSTIN

 

Are you kidding me!  I am officially creeped out!  I can’t wait for the end of the Brian and Mikey Show so we are finally rid of the fucker.

 

UPTOWN GALLERY

 

HUNTER

 

                “I can’t believe it, they offered it to me on the spot!” 

 

                “And you turned it down right?”  Matt teases.

 

                “I can start putting back into my college fund!  I can’t believe it!”

 

                “Let’s celebrate!  Drinks tonight, let’s call the family!  To the Brownstone!”

 

He yells swinging me round.  When he puts me down I shake my head and think what a geek, but he’s my geek.

 

THE BROWNSTONE

 

Twenty minutes later, we are at the brownstone and making calls.  Grandma and Nana both burst into tears and Grandpa says he’s so proud of me.  I ask them to call round and we should go to Woody’s meeting there about seven.  Then I take his hand and lead him upstairs.  An hour later we hear the door open and head downstairs.

 

FAAL

 

                “Hey boys how are you…so how’d it go?”

 

I am faced with 2 very miserable looking boys and hear Zee come charging in.

 

                “What’s happened?”  She skitters to a halt and immediately does the mom check, finding nothing she looks at me and I shrug.

 

                “The job interview.”  Hunter mumbles looking at the ground.

 

                “Don’t even you little swine, you got it didn’t you?  Didn’t you!” 

 

I pull his chin up and we are greeted by a megawatt smile and I immediately pulls him into my arms.

 

                “Faal, can’t breathe, seriously crushing me…”  Hunter gasps.

 

“So where are we going to celebrate?!  Son I am so proud of you!”  Zee cries and hugs him tightly. 

 

Hunter just nods and mumbles something about Woody’s, then leaves with Matt leads.

 

                “Is he okay?”  She whispers to me.  “Did they just call or something, he seems a little shell-shocked.”

 

                “You called him son.”  I whisper back.

 

WOODY’S – EARLY EVENING

 

MATT

 

                “Um are you okay?”

 

                “Son.  She called me son.”  Hunter mumbles.

 

                “Is that a bad thing?”  I am nervous

 

                “No, it just made the day better.”  He smiles and kisses me.

 

                “Here’s the soon to be working boy!”  I hear the voice of Debs.

 

I grin and soon I lose Hunter to hugs and congratulations.  I head back to our table and mom and dad are in deep conversation.

 

                “Look Matt, I am sorry if…”

 

                “You made a good day better mom don’t worry about it.”

 

She smiles and snuggles deeper into dad’s arms.  I really hope that I can have the same thing in love that they have.  Brian sits opposite looking at his watch and then the door, it doesn’t take a genius to work out who he is looking for and when he arrives he slides into Brian’s arms like he hasn’t seen him for a year.

 

                “How’d it go today Bluey?”

 

                “Bluey?  Why Bluey?”  He finishes off the rest of Brian’s beam.

 

He starts to pick out bits of blue paint out of his hair and show it to him and he giggles.  Brian indicates to the barman and he nods and soon we are joined by some of the family laughing and joking and teasing my boyfriend.  Ben comes in with Steve and heads our way and immediately engulfs Hunter in a hug as does Steve and Brian orders champagne.

 

                “To Hunter and his new ventures!” 

 

We all cry and he slinks down deeper into his seat in embarrassment.

 

                “Oh dinner is officially at ours this weekend, Saturday overnighting leave Sunday.”  Mom says.

 

                “It’s really cold.”  Justin says.  “Isn’t it Emmy Lou?” 

 

                “No it’s okay for this time of year in fact this is one of the warmest…ouch what was that for?!” 

 

Mom is chortling into dad’s side and dad is shaking his head.

 

                “Rubbish aren’t they?”  He asks Brian who just shrugs.

 

                “So Debs, Emmy Lou and Justin, bring your biggest stewing pots and some containers so we can split the oxtail into family size portions for the freezer.”  Mom says after collecting herself.

 

Justin is wriggling with happiness and Emmett is grinning.

 

                “Oh what herbs etc do we need to bring?”  Emmett asks notebook in hand.

 

                “None, it’s all set; one Italian, one Asian and one Mexican and then split it between the three…”

 

                “You bastard, you mother fucking bastard!”  The shout stills the bar.

 

Across from us a couple of men are squaring up and it is set to get ugly.

 

                “Gentlemen please take this outside.”  One of the barmen shouts.

 

And then it happened and it happened so fast.  Within seconds of one of the guys trying to hit the other, mom had him in an arm lock and bent down at the waist and dad had the other guy in a similar position, she was patting him down and dad was doing the same.

 

                “Clear.” 

 

                “Clear.”

 

                “Will you keep still?  And stop calling me names!” 

 

Mom growls at her guy but he keeps trying to struggle out of her hold and is calling her every name under the sun and then he says that word.

 

                “Aaargh fuck!”  He yells.

 

                “Nobody calls me that understand?”  She growls again

 

He nods furiously trying to breathe through the pain of her holding very tightly onto a nipple…not the most obvious of places I have to admit but when you have a nipple ring.

 

                “Clear a path!”  Dad yells

 

Soon the men are taken outside and pinned against the building wall.  Then they were nodding, then apologising and shaking hands and the guy who catcalled mom gives her a kiss on the cheek.

 

Mom and dad come back and to raucous applause and a silent table.

 

                “It’s what we do guys please relax.”  Dad says reassuringly.

 

                “Wow!”  Justin is squirming in his seat.

 

                “You have got to teach me how to do that!”  Debs begs.  “Will come in handy during the late shift!”

 

                “And me!  And definitely Molly!” Jennifer is awestruck.

 

                “Um Brian…”  Justin murmurs and looks at him.

 

                “Yeah Sun…oh.  Excuse us for a minute.” 

 

He pushes Justin out of the seat and they head to the bathroom.  Ten minutes later they come back looking very pleased with themselves.

 

                “What just happened?”  I ask Hunter who is chuckling.

 

                “Oh they had to get off.”  He replies casually.

 

I stare incredulously at him and then at them.

 

                “It’s true we did.  More drinks everyone?”  Brian asks as Justin giggles.

 

JUSTIN

 

                “So you were saying.”  I prompt Zee

 

                “Oh yes.  For the freezer and I will give you the recipe for the dumplings both…”

 

                “Dumplings?”  I think I am starting to drool

 

                “Yeah for both hard fried and soft dough.  And that is all I am telling you okay?”

 

I settle back in my seat and nod, I cannot wait for Saturday.  We spend another hour or so in Woody’s before everyone starts to make their way home.

 

                “What do you think their home is like?” 

 

I snuggle into Brian’s coat wishing I had worn a warmer one but not minding this alternative.  Brian shrugs and squeezes me tighter.

 

                “No idea but I am looking forward to finding out.”

 

RED CAPE COMICS – THURSDAY AFTERNOON

 

MICHAEL

 

                “Hi Mel, its Michael how are you?  Good that’s great um is Jenny there, I need to talk to her.”

 

There is a pause before Jenny comes on the line.

 

                “Hi dad how are you?”

 

                “I’m fine Honeybun but there is something you and I need to talk about.  You see the thing is that papa and I have…what?  You do?  Oh I see, well how do you feel about it?  He did?  I-I’m glad he said that, I would hate that you feel that he’s abandon…no I am not saying he would of course not!   As long as you are okay with it, we will talk properly the next time you are down in the Pitts okay bye.”

 

Speechless I am speechless! 

 

THE TREE HOUSE

 

FAAL

 

Speechless I am speechless.  It takes a full minute for me to take on board what she has just told me.

 

                “Brian, I have news, can you meet us at the Brownstone and bring the rest of them.” 

 

She ends the call.

 

                “I have checked three times.”

 

I shake my head and grab my coat and we head out to meet the rest of them, Emmett, Ben and Justin couldn’t make it but I am surprised to find Ted is there as well.

 

                “Why is Ted, not that it’s not nice to see you, here?”  I ask Brian.

 

                “Would you rather have Emmett?”  Brian asks.

 

Before I can answer the door knocks and as I open it, Carl strides in.

 

                “So what is it that you guys have found out?”

 

                “When he was first fined he had to liquidate all his assets and that included his son’s college fund…”

 

                “Explains why his son is pissed at him but why this big meet up?”  He cuts her off.

 

                “And…if you had let me finish.  He’s being sued for child support.”

 

                “Huh why his son is surely Gus’s age if not Hunter’s.”  Ted points out

 

                “But his daughter isn’t.”  She replies.

 

                “Yeah that was my reaction too.”  I say to the astonished faces.

 

                “It would seem that Dr Dave went swimming in our end of the pool in about 2010 but didn’t know about his kid until 2012, when the papers were issued.”  She tops our coffee up with brandy.

 

                “Holy fuck!”  Ted breathes.

 

                “Was this before or after the got the money from Michael?”  Carl asks

 

                “After.”  I tell him.

 

                “So now what?”  Ted asks.

 

                “Look after Jenny’s future.  Michael’s latest round of behaviour has sealed it for me, after this as far as I’m concerned he is on his own.”  Brian replies.

 

BEN & HUNTER’S HOUSE – FRIDAY AFTERNOON

 

BEN

 

I grit my teeth and sigh, the incessant knocking only means one thing.

 

                “Michael.  What do you want?”

 

                “How could you?”  He shouts as he tries to barge in but I block him.               “You told Jenny!”

 

                “And that is a problem how?”  I ask.

 

                “You knew I was going to tell her.  Can we at least discuss this indoors people are staring.”

 

I let him inside the front porch but stop him from going in the house.

 

                “This is as far as you go now get to the point.”  I tell him.

 

His face is a picture of pinched fury and frustration.  And with his fists are balled up he looks like he’s 5, I fight the urge to laugh.

 

                “Well is this because of your jealousy of David and me is that why you told her!”

 

                “No Michael, I told her because she had the right to know and I am not jealous of you and David.  In fact I feel sorry for David as he seems a decent guy.”

 

He scoffs and rolls his eyes.

 

                “Brian.  Brian was the one I was jealous of.  And I still am in a way.”

 

He is stunned by that.

 

                “But you’ve slept with him…twice!  And…”

 

                “That’s just fucking Michael, you really don’t get it do you?  He had your attention, whenever he called you ran to him, no matter how much it hurt our relationship!  And then there’s Justin.  For the Stud of Liberty Avenue to get the love of his life on his first time out and still have him, despite everything they went through just seemed so fucking unfair.”

 

                “Justin!  Justin’s not…”

 

                “He is Michael.  Justin is it for him.  Nobody will match that.  I hoped I found that with you but it wasn’t to be, now if you excuse me.”

 

I pull the door open and he leaves and as the door shuts I finally mourn the death of my marriage.

 

THE TREE HOUSE – SATURDAY LATE AFTERNOON

 

FAAL

 

                “Please, please, please, please!”  I beg

 

                “For the last time no, I have too much to do, now go!” 

 

I hold my ground, fold my arms, and glower.

 

                “I’ve put you on your ass more than once and I haven’t lost my touch.”  She squares up to me.

 

I try pouting.

 

                “Please?”

 

                “Oh for fuck sake!  When they come and not before deal?”

 

                “Deal!”

 

                “And don’t do the happy dance!”  She chides me from inside the fridge.

 

Twenty minutes later they start arriving and they are gobsmacked by the beauty of the house.

 

                “Oh my God it is gorgeous, wait you have a lake, an actual lake!”  Emmett cries out.

 

                “No that’s the outside pool.”  I tell him.  “I cannot wait for summer.” 

 

                “So you have an inside pool?”  Drew asks

 

                “Basement, fully heated length of the house.” 

 

                “Nice, who did the work?”  He asks, taking out his phone.

 

                “Lig, where is the home file?  Drew wants the pool deets.”

 

                “Office.  And you have 15 minutes you know how soggy they get.”

 

                “In that case we wait, come all we have bubbles and eggy bread sandwiches and then I show you the rest of the house, which my beautiful lig has done for us.”

 

I guide the rest of them back to the kitchen where she has set Debs, Emmy Lou and Justin on the sandwiches.   In 15 minutes they are done.  Egg soaked sourdough bread is perfectly crisp and not greasy same for the roasted bacon.

 

                “Oh my God, this is heavenly.”  Ted sighs.  “Okay when I am sick, I want these!”

 

Zee is chuckling watching Brian use his height and long arms to keep Justin away from his plate.

 

                “Justin, try the oven.” 

 

Brian mouths his thanks as Justin inhales the sandwich.

 

                “Okay those who are not cooking out!”  Zee demands.

 

Two hours later, they come out of the kitchen looking pleased. 

 

                “Why does he have dumplings?”  I demand

 

                “Chef’s perk.  Geliefde here are yours.” 

 

She hands me a plate as Justin settles in Brian’s lap, feeding him bits of dumpling dipped in gravy. 

 

The next two hours pass quickly and happily with talk about the house and life in general.

 

                “Uh Brian can you give me a hand?”  Zee asks as she stands up.

 

                “Um I am not the greatest cook.”  He mutters.

 

                “Come on Mr K.”  She drags him up and winks at Carl.

 

ZEE

 

                “So what do you think of the house, honestly?” 

 

                “It truly is beautiful.” 

 

                “It’s not the same though is it?”  I ask him as I open the door to the back kitchen.

 

                “Huh?”  He replies fiddling with his glass.

 

                “Family dinner or lunch it’s not the same…without her I mean?”  I reply.

 

He shrugs and then takes a deep breath.

               

                “I’ve got used to her you know, when we are all at Britin it’s just…”

 

                “Brian, look at me.”  I command.

 

And the smile on his face was worth it. 

 

BRIAN

 

                “Lilah.”  I breathe and immediately she’s in my arms winding herself round my neck.

 

                “How?”  I begin.

 

                “Well Carl spoke to me and then Alice and I got together.  She’s been bringing her over during the day to get her used to the place.  Now I do believe there is a fire she needs to be curled up in front of, be off with you.”

 

She shoos me out of the kitchen and I make my way to the lounge pausing briefly to squeeze Carl’s arm and retake my seat next to Justin.  Moments later she’s between us purring loudly.

 

                “That’s better.”  Carl whispers.

 

ZEE

 

We spend another hour waiting for dinner to cook and after leaving Lilah on the rug for all of two seconds before she’s trotting after her favourite humans we head to the dining room to eat.  Before they start, I clear my throat.

 

                “Forks will only go so far with oxtail just saying.  Now come on let’s eat.”

 

                “I think I am officially stuffed.”  Justin groans about 30 minutes later, loosening his pants.

 

                “Oh my God I do believe, yes there is actually a food baby in there!”  Emmett teases.

 

Everyone laughs but Brian.

 

                “What’s wrong?  It was kind of funny?”  Justin nudges him

 

                “Nothing.  I’m fine honest.”  He replies.

 

                “Look I know it’s early but it’s been a fuck of a long day for me, you guys are welcome to stay up.  So I bid you all goodnight, but Brian and Justin can you come with me?”

 

                “What about Lilah?”  Justin asks.

 

                “She’ll be fine, now come on.”

 

 JUSTIN

 

We follow her to the 3rd floor and into a room that has glass walls.  There is a fire already stoked and blazing and we can see clear across the city.  In the nest of branches there is a love seat covered with sheep skin and fluffy cushions.  The canopied bed is huge and also covered with sumptuous fluffy blankets and draped in silks in deep greys and blues and I hear a low whistle as Brian checks out the bathroom. 

 

                “Good?”  I ask.

 

                “Yeah you might have a problem getting me out of that tub.  And don’t be surprised if that coffee machine turns up missing.”

 

                “Good night boys, sleep well.”  She kisses us both on the cheek and is gone.

 

                “Wow just wow.”  I sigh

 

                “Come on let’s have coffee.” 

 

He pulls me to the love seat and then goes to get coffee.  We snuggle under the blanket and finish our coffee in silence.

 

                “So what was the matter earlier?”  I ask him.

 

                “She thought of Lilah.”

 

                “Ah.  I think she’s going to be sleeping off that food baby for a bit.”

 

He chuckles and pulls me tighter into his embrace.  We hear the door knock and call come in.  Zee pokes her head round.

 

                “Sorry I forgot.”  She puts a tray down a carafe of brandy and a smoker gun and glasses and leaves.

 

                “Shower o…”

 

He covers my mouth with his and buries his fingers in my hair and pushes me onto my back.  Instinctually I wrap my legs round him and bury my hands in his hair.  He groans and starts rutting against me, which sets the seat in motion, I tug on his hair hard enough for him to stop kissing me.

 

                “Wh-what what’s wrong?”

 

                “Can we go to bed?” 

 

                “You cold?”

 

                “No it’s the swinging.”  I whimper.

 

                “Baby you’ve been in a sling with me before.”  He goes back to nibbling my neck and working his hands up my shirt.

 

                “Yes, that, umm wait, was oh please, oh God, diff-different mo-momentum.”  I manage to pant out as his fingers run across my nipple twisting it gently into hardness.

 

                “Really are you serious?  Bed?”

 

                “Please.”

 

He gently picks me up and carries me to the canopied bed.

 

                “Brandy?”

 

I nod and strip and pull back the bedding and am surprised to find another fluffy blanket underneath, I lie down and practically purr as the softness rubs against my skin.

 

                “God you look so gorgeous like that.”  He whispers.

 

                “Put that down and feel this.”  I murmur tugging at his free hand.

 

He climbs into bed with me and sighs.

 

                “I have got to find out where she got these sheets from.”  He mumbles.

 

As we clink glasses he looks up and nudges me.

 

                “Holy fuck.”  I sigh as I look up and see nothing but stars.

 

He pulls up the blankets when I shiver a bit.

 

                “We can always push them down later.”  He waggles his eyebrows at me.

 

There is no later as within 10 minutes we are both sound asleep.

 

SUNDAY MORNING

 

FAAL

 

                “Come little one time to wake your favourite humans!” 

 

Lilah trots after me and I make a mental note to ask Zee to consider a lift, I knock on the door and after a while I hear shuffling and Brian opens the door.

 

                “Furball delivery.  Did you sleep well?” 

 

He nods and scoops Lilah up. 

 

                “Well see you downstairs when you are ready, Ben, Drew and I are going to do some laps if you wish to join us.”

 

                “Give me 10 minutes and I’ll be there.”

 

True to his word he’s down and we end up swimming for an hour.  By the time we have our showers everyone is in the kitchen chatting and helping.

 

BEN

 

                “I hate to bring a bit of a downer on this weekend because it has been excellent, but I served the papers to Michael this week.”

 

                “How’d he take it?”  Blake asks.  “Actually on the MNRS how’d he take it?”

 

                “The MN what?”  Carl asks.

 

                “MNRS…Michael Novotny Richter Scale.  Oh sorry Debs I didn’t…”

 

                “Oh don’t worry honey, I have called his temper tantrums much worse than that.  So how’d he take it.?”

 

                “About a 7 but it climbed to 9 when he found out I had already told Jenny.”  I reply.

 

                “I’ll bet.  How’d you tell her?”  Brian asks.

 

                “Flew to Toronto and did it face to face.  She was okay about it, but Lindz seemed more upset about the college fund for Hunter than that.”

 

                “Ah explains the phone calls.”  Brian sighs.

 

And if as on cue his phone rings.  He takes one look at it and shoves it towards Justin shaking his head, who shoves it towards Emmett before finally rolling his eyes Hunter picks it up.

 

                “Brian Kinney’s phone.  Oh it’s you.  Because I didn’t look at the caller ID.  He’s busy at the moment.  No not at either.  Well it isn’t his place to invite random people.  I’ll get him to call you back.”

 

He hangs up and sighs as I bring him in for a hug and Carl rubs his back.

 

                “Perhaps I could’ve handled that better.”  He mumbles.

 

Brian’s phone goes again and this time he picks it up.

 

                “Lindz is Gus okay?  Why should I have told you?  It has nothing to do with you Lindz!  Now it’s Sunday and I am having a great day with the family, goodbye Lindz!”

 

                “Seriously Brian between the two of them how have you not ended up in prison?”  Faal asks.

 

                “NFI.”  He sighs.

 

Faal looks confused.

 

                “No fucking idea.”  I explain.

 

                “Right enough of them…bubbles!!”  Emmett hollers swinging a bottle.

 

RED CAPE COMICS

 

MICHAEL

 

How dare he speak to me like that!  He seems to forget that I am still his father and I deserve respect.  I need to talk to someone who’s going to be on my side for a change.

 

                “Hi David, how are you?  I’m fine, a little upset with the way my so called friends have been treating…oh you are that’s great, okay see you when you get back.”

 

I am feeling much better now, although I know I need to speak to Mel about the visitation schedule for Jenny, she’s up next weekend.

 

DINER – THURSDAY MORNING

 

DEBS

 

                “No Carl.  Now stop with the hangdog expression and get to work.”

 

I shoo him out and shake my head, ever since we had those sandwiches he’s wanted one for breakfast every day and is trying to persuade me to get them put on the menu at the diner as well.  The bell rings and Michael comes in looking very chipper.

 

                “Hey Michael long time no…”

 

And behind him comes the reason why.

 

                “David, how nice to see you again, didn’t realise you were back in town.”

 

                “Debbie, you’re looking well.  Yes I got back Sunday evening.  May I have a coffee?”

 

I nod and go get it just as Ted, Brian and Justin come in, I indicate the booth at the back and they settle down and are soon joined by Ben.

 

                “Be right with you boys!”  I call out.

 

                “Come on let’s join them.”  Michael suggests to David who shrugs and gets up.

 

                “Mind if we join you?”  He asks and sits down before they can answer.

 

Brian reaches into his wallet and pulls out a $50 and hands it to Ted, who smirks.

 

                “What will it be boys?”  I ask hoping to forestall any arguments.

 

They put in their order and I keep a safe distance so that I can pop my son in the head in needs be.

 

                “So what time are they coming?”  I hear Michael ask.

 

                “What time is who coming?”  Brian replies.

 

                “Gus and Jenny.  What time do they land?”  He asks.

 

Brian looks confused.

 

                “Gus isn’t up here this weekend Michael, he’s coming to New York wi…shit!”

 

                “You’re coming to New York?  When?”  Justin is beaming.

 

                “Well now the cat is out of the bag, I’m on the same flight as you and Gus is going to meet us at the condo, we come back on Sunday evening.”  Brian kisses his temple.

 

                “But what about Jenny?”  Michael asks.

 

Oh no this is not good, I think my son’s entitlement is starting to show, time to butt in

 

                “What about her?  She’s coming to see you, Ben and Hunter?  Us and maybe meet David…” 

 

                “No she’s not seeing Ben and Hunter.”  Michael states.

 

There is a stunned silence.

 

                “Um why not Michael?  I promised her that it would be her choice if she sees us or not.  Give me one good reason that she can’t.”  Ben is beginning again to be less Zen.

 

                “We’re not together anymore.” 

 

He says it like it’s the most obvious thing in the world.

 

                “Michael you can’t be serious?”  David is looking horrified.

 

Michael shifts on his seat

 

                “All I am saying is as her bio…”

 

                “When we split up we agreed that the one thing we would not do is hurt Hank, by not letting her see them can’t you see how hurtful this is going to be?  They are still her family, he’s still her papa, is it papa, and Hunter is still her brother being divorced won’t change that.  I can’t believe you would contemplate such a thing!”

 

                “I am as much her father as you are, I have been there since birth too.”  Ben retorts.

 

                “Okay fine, but I want to stay in the house or maybe we can stay at Britin.”  Michael looks smug.

 

Ben sighs heavily and rolls his eyes and both Brian and Justin go to speak.

 

                “No I think I have a better idea.”  I call out.

 

I pick up my phone and swiftly dial the one person I think can help.

 

                “Zee, it’s Debs, I have a problem that I think your Brownstone will solve.”

 

Once I explain the situation and get the okay I call Jennifer.

 

                “Right, have spoken to Zee, Jenny can stay at her Brownstone.  So Hunter and Matt, me and Carl will be there too, Ben you stay at your house and the problem has been solved.  Right Michael?”

 

                “Okay, but where are Zee and Faal going to be?”  He asks.

 

                “At their house in the country.  So beautiful.”  I sigh wistfully.

 

                “When did you see it?”  Michael asks.

 

                “Last weekend.”  Ted answers and tries not to smirk at the resulting jaw clenching from Michael.

 

The rest of their stay is, mercifully, drama free but I can see Michael is annoyed but not as annoyed as David.

 

BROWNSTONE – FRIDAY EVENING

 

CARL

 

                “You gotta admit Red it is a beautiful place.”

 

There is a knock at the door and Michael comes in with an exuberant Jenny who is immediately shouting for Hunter and Matt.

 

                “Jeez J volume!”  Matt chides her sweeping her into a hug.

 

                “We’re meeting everyone else right?  Gus sends a fist bump to you both!  Where’s Hunter?”

 

                “Here…oof seriously J!  And yes we are.  Come on let’s get you settled.”

 

He takes her bag without acknowledging Michael and heads upstairs. 

 

                “Well we’ll see you later Michael, dinner should be around seven.”  I start to lead him out.

 

                “Wait I thought I was staying here too.”  He objects

 

                “Oh fuck no!  No way are you staying here!”  Matt snarls from behind me.

 

                “You’re staying at ours but you are out by Sunday understand?  Under your own steam or mine.” 

 

I tell him and with a not so gentle push he’s out the door.

 

Red is in her element cooking up a storm with Jenny’s help.  The door goes and when she hears her papa she races to the hall.

 

                “Papa!” 

 

                “Are you too old to be picked up?”

 

                “Never papa never!” 

 

He comes into the kitchen with her wrapped round him in a vice like grip.

 

                “Oh God roller derby is paying off – care to loosen up a bit?” 

 

She giggles and slithers down.

 

                “We’re making, what are we making grandma?” 

 

                “Southern fried jerk chicken.  I have decided to expand my repertoire!” 

 

                “How long will it be Red, will it be long enough…”

 

                “No.  I know where you are going Carl, you can have it in the morning, think of your cholesterol.”

 

                “Morning, you promise?”

 

She nods and swats me with the towel as I go to answer the door its Michael and David.

 

                “Ben nice to see you again and you must be Jenny?”

 

Jenny nods shyly.

 

                “I’m David, a friend of your father’s he’s told me a lot about you.”

 

Hunter snorts and is nudged in the side by Matt.

 

                “Can you cook?”  She asks him and he nods and she drags him over to the stove.

 

The rest of the dinner is slightly tense, mainly because Michael is pouting as not only are Jenny and David getting on but he’s talking to Hunter and Matt like the young adults they are.

 

                “So Matt how did you and Hunter meet?  If you don’t mind sharing the story?”  He asks.

 

                “At motocross for Gus’s birthday.  J was there too.  I spotted him the moment he came through the doors and…”

 

                “You did?”  Hunter sounds surprised.

 

                “What did you think I randomly picked a guy to talk to?  Anyway, I gave the guy $20 to tune into their channel and invited them to join our group…”

 

                “Wait what?”  Hunter looks stunned.

 

                “Oh so it was love at first sight was it?”  I tease him.

 

                “Yep.” 

 

                “I-I didn’t know that.  Any of that.”  Hunter whispers in awe.

 

                “Well now you do.”  He replies and kisses him on the cheek.

 

Ben chuckles and smiles and then is grabbed by Jenny.

 

                “You promised to help with dessert papa.  Grandma you know where the cookies are?”

 

                “I’ll get them.  I have been given strict instructions by Faal.  Now out everyone.” 

 

I order and shut the door.  I find the cookies and the instructions for them.  I holler at them to come back.

 

                “Yes, honeycomb crunch, my favourite!”  Jenny cries.

 

                “Favourite?”  Michael is woken from his pout.

 

                “Yep, Zee always sends a box up with Gus or Hunter and Matt when they visit.  I have been halving them for the last few weeks.  Grandma where’s the scoop oh thanks.  I tried to make them myself but it’s not the same.”

 

        “No I agree I have tried to recreate the toasted caramelised pecan but can’t quite get it right.”

 

        “It’s the oldest trick in the book.”  Red chuckles as does David.

 

        “What?”  Ben and Jenny say together.

 

        “Give them the recipe but not all of it.”  David answers.  “Leave out the one thing that makes it perfect.”

 

        “Except for the peanut butter almond ones, Justin recreates them perfectly.  But I think that’s more to do with Brian than anything else.”  Red remarks.

 

        “Why Brian?”  Michael asks

 

        “They’re his favourites although I think it took two hours of pouting and begging to get the whole recipe.”  She laughs and busies herself plating up.

 

We eat the ice cream cookies happily and Red makes coffee.  I am surprised when David volunteers him and Michael for clean-up duty, something I suspect Michael is not happy with.  The evening ends without any drama and a rousing boxing game on the Wii and Matt being firm that he would never get on the wrong side of Red after she whipped him 4 to zero.

 

DEB & CARL’S HOUSE

 

DAVID

 

                “Michael, what was wrong with you tonight?”

 

                “Nothing, I was just tired I suppose.”

 

                “No, you know what I think you are jealous.”

 

                “Jealous of what?”

 

                “I don’t know but it was coming off you in waves!”

 

He says nothing just glowers at the blank TV screen.

 

                “Look, I didn’t know there was this side of you and I have to say I am disappointed.  I need to think.”

 

                “David.  I was just having a bad day, I’ll be fine after a good night’s sleep.” 

 

He goes to put his arms round me but I move away from his embrace.

 

                “No Michael I can’t.  I can’t do this.  I’ll call you.”

 

MICHAEL

 

I stare at the door he’s just gone through in disbelief.  What the hell just happened?

 

 

TBC…

Chapter End Notes:

Hope you enjoyed.  I really struggled a bit with this.  Please be constructive and kind.