- Text Size +

 

4 - THE WHISPER OF DEATH

 

The New Year's party was a great success, with Michael behaving himself, well as much as he could. He's still smarting over his lack of key, he and Linds get together to bitch about the injustice of it all when they can. He's determined to get one for himself no matter what anybody says, he just needs to come up with the perfect reason, although the friendship is back on, it's not what it was, but of course, Michael doesn't see that.

 

Winter was brutal in the Pitts but that means one thing for Hunter, ice skating, he's always wanted to try it and after a bit of badgering and eyelash batting, he persuades Ben to give it a go and to their surprise not only is Ben good at it but he likes it too. So every Saturday they go to the rink or if it is safe enough the pond in the park. Michael never joins them, it's too cold for him and he can't skate - let's be honest, he also can't dance, as that too, requires coordination but I digress...

 

...winter hung on until late March, it was bitterly cold and of course Ben and Hunter picked up heavy colds, with Ben's taking longer to shift than Hunter's.

 

MARCH 2014

 

NOVOTNY BRUCKNER'S HOME - MID-MARCH

 

HUNTER:

 

"Do you think that dad is losing weight?" I ask Michael quietly.

 

"No not really, why would you think that? He looks fine to me."

 

Yeah, it would help if you looked at him though, I thought.

 

Just then Dad comes in and I don't care what Michael wants to say. He does look like he's lost weight and that cold is still there, in fact, it sounds worse. And he's looking really tired these days.

 

"Hey, are you good? I've got to go to work, but I will be home by three. Are you up for a skate session at the rink?"

 

Dad nods and smiles, he takes out our skates and then heads to the kitchen for some coffee. He starts coughing and almost doubles over as it rattles through his body. He waves away my concern and tells me to go to work and he'll see me later.

 

I head out although my mind keeps drifting back to how fucking awful that coughing was. I am distracted at work and making stupid mistakes, in the end, my boss calls me over to have a word.

 

"Hunter, what's going on with you, you are normally more on the ball than this?"

 

"Sorry Larry, it's just that I think my dad is sick and that's preoccupying me at the moment, he's got this cold that doesn't seem to be shifting..."

 

Larry, who knows about Ben and me, throws his hands up in a dramatic fashion and scowls.

 

"Oh for fuck sake, why didn't you say? Go home and look after him, lots of chicken soup!"

 

I smile gratefully at him and head to my locker to collect my things. I check my phone and there is a message from Michael, my heart hits my boots...

 

I'm running, running to the only person I know can help me, I burst through to reception and almost fall into Ted's arms with tears streaming down my face.

 

"Hunter, what's wrong? Bethany, can you find Brian!"

 

"But he's..."

 

"Go find him!"

 

I'm trying to breathe and speak at the same time.

 

"Slow down, take a breath, what's happened?"

 

"Dad," I manage to croak out before taking in another lungful of air. "Dad collapsed!"

 

The next twenty minutes pass in a blur, I don't even remember getting into Brian's car. We get to Allegheny and spot Carl outside.

 

"I called him, so we would know where to go," Brian explains.

 

In my haste to get out of the car, I struggle with the seatbelt, getting frustrated that I can't undo it.

 

"Hunter, Hunter stop, just stop, let me do it," Carl states, reaching to unlatch it.

 

I hadn't even heard the door open, and I tried to run inside, but he stops me.

 

"Hunter! I know you want to see him but you need to calm down okay? Okay?"

 

I nod and let him guide me to the room.

 

What I see almost makes me puke, he's connected to all kinds of things, he's pale and has a tube down his throat and there is no way in fuck that people can say he's not lost weight. He looks almost skeletal compared to how he usually looks.

 

"Jesus," Brian whispers as he comes into the room. "What the hell happened, where's Michael?"

 

"Speaking to the doctors, I think," Carl replies as he gently pushes me into the seat next to Dad's bed and goes to sit down by the door.

 

I grasp Dad's hand and it's still warm, but barely, I feel a brief squeeze, he's still here.

 

"So I guess we're not skating today, huh?" I whisper to him.

 

"Is that all you can think about?! Skating? I wouldn't be surprised if that's..."

 

"Finish that sentence, Michael, and you will be in the next bed in the ICU..." Carl snarls.

 

Michael whirls round in surprise.

 

"Carl! You scared me!"

 

"What did the doctor say?" I ask.

 

"Pneumonia, he has pneumonia." He sits on the other side grasping his other hand.

 

"Is that what caused the weight loss?" I ask.

 

"They're not sure about that, but right now they are treating him for pneumonia; all we can do is wait."

 

We sit in silence just the beeps of the machine and the occasional rattle of breath bounce off the walls.

 

JUSTIN:

 

Please don't let him die, please don't let him die. I am driving as fast as I can towards the hospital, I had to arrange flights for the girls and the kids and that took a while. Brian isn't answering his phone and my guts are churning. I reach the hospital at the same time as Em and Drew. Deb is outside waiting for us and she quickly takes us to the room, she's so quiet, it's unnerving.

 

I stagger back when I see him, luckily Carl catches me before I hit the ground.

 

"Why the hell has he lost all of that weight?" I gasp.

 

"That's what I want to know."

 

I turn and sink gratefully into Brian's arms; he kisses the top of my head and hugs me tightly.

 

"It's just pneumonia," Michael says.

 

"No, it's more than that, it's too much weight," Hunter interjects. "Something is really wrong."

 

Then all hell breaks loose, the machines start beeping and Ben starts jerking. Carl leaps and presses the alarm.

 

The next few weeks are a case of coming to the hospital every night to see Dad. I am bone tired, but I have to be there.

 

CARL:

 

Poor kid looks exhausted. A couple of times I have seen him almost hit the floor but he's pulled himself up and powered on through. Where he gets his strength from is anyone's guess but he's here every day. He's even given up his job to be here, still can't believe it's the same kid from those years back and he's my grandson.

 

"Hunter, why don't you go to grandma's and get a couple of hours sleep, you know we will call you if anything changes."

 

He shakes his head and makes his way into Ben's room once more.

 

MICHAEL:

 

These last few weeks have been horrendous but at least my friends are around me now. As I make my way to Ben's room, I spot Justin and Ma, I make my way over and sink into the seat next to her.

 

"Any change?"

 

"No, nothing."

 

"Who's in with him?"

 

"Jenny."

 

"Where's Hunter?" I demand.

 

"Getting some well-deserved sleep." Justin snaps. "He's been here every night..."

 

I stiffen at his tone, does he have any idea what I am going through right now, how selfish he is being.

 

"I'm going in."

 

As I stand, I take the coffee from Ma, she's so surprised that she just lets go of it.

 

"But..." She begins.

 

"Ma, I need this more than you."

 

I head inside and Jenny is sleeping with her head on the side of Ben's bed. I stroke her head but she doesn't stir.

 

"Don't worry Honeybun, you and I are going to be just fine, you'll see."

 

I sit down on the other side of the bed and wait, waiting for signs of life.

 

DEB & CARL'S HOUSE

 

HUNTER:

 

Shit, why can't I move, fuck I'm paralyzed, I try to move my legs but can't. I start to panic and then scream for help.

 

"What! What the fuck is going on?!" Someone bursts through the door as there is a loud thud.

 

"My legs, I can't move my legs!" I yell half-asleep struggling to get my legs to move.

 

"Hunter! Wake up, wake up please!"

 

I recognize that voice, it's Emmett.

 

"Emmett?" I croak.

 

"Yes, it's me, it was just a bad dream; you're okay, honey you're okay."

 

He rocks me and rubs my back; it feels so good to be held by someone.

 

"Emmett? Is it my fault, was it the skating?"

 

"You stop that bullshit right now!" Gus yells from the door.

 

We look stunned at Gus, who is holding a tray with milkshake and cookies, he sets it down.

 

"Gus..."

 

"No, you are going to listen to me, James Hunter Novotny Bruckner! This is not your fault! None of it! Do you understand me? Not. Your. Fault!"

 

Emmett and I look at each other still stunned and just nod.

 

"Good, now let's eat. Oh, and if anybody tells you that it is your fault, let me know and I will get dad to have them killed."

 

I smile, my best friend has my back, we hear the door open and Jenny calls up.

 

"Up here!" I shout and she comes barreling in immediately hopping into bed with us and wrapping her arms around my waist.

 

"How are you doing? You look a lot better; did you sleep well?" She snags a cookie.

 

"Do you want me to..." Emmett asks.

 

"No, no of course not. Help yourself to a cookie, Emmett."

 

"Excuse me, Auntie Em, if you please!"

 

I blink back tears and drink my shake.

 

Ben continues to deteriorate. Hunter is firm in his belief that it is something other than pneumonia that is causing this but Michael refuses to listen, saying the doctor's know best, leading to an almighty row which ends up with Michael making his way tearfully to Britin.

 

BRITIN

 

JUSTIN:

 

I cannot believe this! He's here, sitting in my home, drinking my brandy, again, crying his eyes out. Don't get me wrong, I'm as devastated about Ben, but I can't help feeling the way I feel.

 

"C... Can I stay here tonight? I can't face Hunter..." He whimpers.

 

Brian looks at me and I shrug and nod. He shoots me a grateful look.

 

"Let's go make you up a bed."

 

He stumbles into Brian's arms sobbing again.

 

Twenty minutes later, Brian comes down and takes a deep breath before running his fingers through his hair.

 

"I know, I know, thank you, baby." He brings me into his arms.

 

"Where's Hunter, did he tell you?"

 

Brian frowns and shakes his head.

 

"You mean to say he's left him at home alone?"

 

"Surely not, let me..."

 

We hear the thud of footsteps rushing down the stairs.

 

"Dad, Papa, is it okay that I go see Hunter, he's at grandma's; he's had a fight with Uncle Michael and..."

 

"Well, at least we know where he is. Sure, Gus, you go, let me call the service." Brian says.

 

Twenty minutes later, we are curled up in our usual seat, sipping on Beam and alone with our thoughts when Michael comes in.

 

"Couldn't sleep," he explains and settles down on the couch, putting his feet on the table.

 

"What was the row about?" I ask.

 

"He's suddenly an expert, reckoning that it is something more than pneumonia. I set him straight that the doctors know best, but he keeps banging on about it and in the end, I lost my temper; with all of this it was just too much."

 

He gets up and helps himself to another brandy and I grind my teeth at the amount he is pouring in... it is going to be a long night.

 

The night turns into days as Michael returns to Britin every night instead of his house claiming that he can't deal with Hunter.

 

I had just come in from setting up a show when I heard them in the lounge.

 

"No Michael, I won't do that."

 

"Why not? It saves you both from waiting up for me to come back from the hospital."

 

"I said no, Michael, just call the service like you have been doing. And besides, it is not my place to give you a key, this is Justin's house, remember? You would need to ask him."

 

I could just leap into his arms, rip his clothes off and fuck him right there! I creep back to the door and slam it announcing my arrival.

 

"What's up, guys? How's Ben doing, any change?"

 

Michael shakes his head and leaves the room saying he's going to the hospital.

 

"Next time you want to be sneaky, it would be best to duck down when you pass the mirror..."

 

I chuckle and bury myself into his chest.

 

ALLEGHENY HOSPITAL

 

HUNTER:

 

Well fuck this, I am going to speak to the doctor myself. I head to the hospital and everyone is there, this is not good.

 

This is not happening; this is not fucking happening! How can he be like this, this is not pneumonia alone, why won't people listen to me! And now they are saying we've got to say goodbye, got to say goodbye to the only guy who has given me his time and his love without wanting anything in return.

 

Brian takes my shoulder and gently steers me towards the door, I had been rooted to the spot since Emmett came out.

 

"Want me to come in with you? Or maybe Justin?" He murmurs.

 

I shake my head, Michael is comforting Jenny who has been to say her goodbyes, he calls out to me to wait.

 

"Don't take too long..."

 

"Michael!" Carl growls. "For once, can you think before you fucking speak?!"

 

He scowls at Carl and goes back to comforting Jenny.

 

Taking a deep breath, I head inside, the sight that greets me, tears at my gut and my heart. He's been unhooked from the respirator so it's just a matter of waiting for him to die. Amazingly enough for someone dying, he looks so peaceful, oh the irony, I turn back to the closing door in time to see Brian nod at me and give me a small smile, his eyes glistening.

 

"Dad. Can you hear me? Of course, you can hear me, what am I saying, what a stupid fucking question..."

 

I sit down by his side and take his hand. He's surprisingly warm; I stroke his long fingers, willing them to move, for him to do anything to show me that the strong man who saved my life is fighting to save his own, nothing, not a thing.

 

"It's funny you know, the first time I saw you and you kept harassing me, I kept thinking why the fuck is this guy bothering with me, why doesn't he just leave me be... and now that's the last thing I want, I will do anything just please don't leave me! Don't leave me to face this alone, I am only strong because of you! Come on, fight this and come back to me! You've made me this better person simply by loving me and accepting me for who I could be, not for who I was, please come back and stay with me, stay with me, Dad! Dads stay the fuck with... I will even go to your crappy uni if that's what it takes for you to come back... just..."

 

I know I am shouting but I still hear the door open and feel a strong pair of arms come around me, I know it's Brian.

 

"Do something, don't let it take him..." I shout at him.

 

"The only person that can do something is Be..."

 

"No, please Brian, please listen. I had the same pills that Ben did and they made me sicker, maybe..."

 

"Let me talk to the doctor."

 

"Please, please, I'm begging you, talk to the doctor, everyone thinks I'm..."

 

"Brian, please..." Ben croaks.

 

We whirl around to face him and watch incredulously as his eyes flicker open... Brian slams on the alarm and as the medics swarm in we are shoved out of the room but not before Brian talks to the doctor.

 

"What the fuck did you do now?" Michael snaps, trying to run into the room, but is stopped by Carl.

 

Two hours later, we are all in the hallway in shock. Justin is sobbing in Brian's arms; Michael's crying and comforting Jenny; Debbie's being held by Carl. Emmett is on the phone to Drew whirling his arms around and I am standing by the door, looking at him through the glass window, he is so still so very still.

 

I don't know how long I've been standing there, until I feel Gus' strong thin arms holding me tightly muttering something but I can't hear over the roaring in my ears and I realize I am sobbing. I knew it! I knew it was the pills. Once the doctor listened to Brian and did more tests, he ordered a flush and dad started to rally.

 

He's back; my dad is back!

 

ALLEGHENY HOSPITAL - BEN'S ROOM NEXT DAY

 

MICHAEL:

 

Ben is sleeping, I find the beep of the machine comforting, the sound of Hunter snoring less so. I understand that he wants to be here but Ben is my husband first and his father second so I take priority and I make the decisions, the first one is that when he wakes up is that he's going home. The second one, is no more skating, if they hadn't been doing that, he wouldn't have caught a fucking cold in the first place.

 

Hopefully, as long as he continues to stabilize, he won't be in this room much longer as, of course, my best friend came through for me and arranged a private suite for me.

 

The door opens and the doctor comes in, the sound jolts Hunter awake.

 

"What's happened?" He cries out.

 

"Nothing Hunter, calm down, your dad is fine." The doctor chuckles.

 

Hunter wipes his mouth, gets up and lopes to the bathroom with his toiletry bag, within seconds we hear the buzz of his toothbrush.

 

"Whts bjppnning wfhg dad nwrf?" He asks

 

The doctor's grinning and shaking his head.

 

"How about you finish brushing your teeth and then ask the question?"

 

He nods sheepishly and comes back out a minute later.

 

"What's happening with dad now - was that your question?" He nods. "Nothing his T-Cell count is coming back up and the pneumonia is receding, all in all, he's going to be fine, though he's going to have to bulk up as that's an awful lot of weight to lose on his frame."

 

"That's good to hear."

 

We all jump at Brian's voice, I get up and hug my best friend, and then Justin comes in. He heads straight to Ben and kisses him on the forehead. What the fuck?

 

"Hey, Justin."

 

"Dad!"

 

"Hunter, for crying out loud, stop yelling." I snap.

 

"Hey big guy, how are you feeling?" Justin asks.

 

"According to the doc, not so big, but I am heading in the right direction thanks to Hunter."

 

He blushes and shifts on his feet.

 

"Well, um..."

 

"Hey Littlest, take praise where it's due. If it wasn't for you, well..." Brian trails off.

 

"Littlest?" The doctor asks.

 

The doctor looks at me, and Ben and Justin smile, I shrug. I have no idea.

 

"It's a nickname he had for me from a while back, he's not called me that in a while."

 

The doctor nods in understanding and I can see Hunter is trying not to cry.

 

Brian leans towards Hunter and bumps shoulders with him. Justin is stroking the hair off of Ben's forehead, I bustle over and get between the two of them, looking meaningfully at Brian. He doesn't seem to notice.

 

"So when is he getting out of this hell hole?" Hunter clears his throat and asks.

 

"Thanks for that description. I'd say about a week, maybe ten days, but the most important thing is his diet. Sorry Ben, but you need to put on weight and quickly but carefully, so your body can heal. I will put together a diet plan and you need to be on it for at least three, maybe six months, depending on your recovery."

 

"He'll be on it, trust me doc," Hunter mutters.

 

"Yes, I will make sure of it." I assert.

 

"Obviously with the new diet, comes the exercise plan, I can recommend a physio for you..."

 

"A physio, can't I just go to the gym?"

 

"No, in your current weakened state that would be counterproductive, let me pull a list of names for you."

 

Ben nods and relaxes into his pillow.

 

"Now, gentlemen, I think it is high time that Ben got some rest, so everyone out."

 

He herds us to the door and out. Hunter rubs his face and sighs.

 

"Hunter, are you okay?" Justin asks.

 

"Just a litt..."

 

Brian manages to catch him before he hits the floor.

 

BEN:

 

What the fuck is going on out there, I can hear shouting and someone calling Hunter's name, I am so fucking tired, but I need to see what's wrong with my boy. I swing my legs out and immediately a wave of dizziness hits me; I swallow down the nausea that comes with it and steady myself. But before I could start to walk the lights went out.

 

I'm not sure how long I was out for, but when I open my eyes, they lock onto the deep brown ones of a very concerned looking Jenny.

 

"Papa!" She shrieks. "Sorry, I didn't mean to shout. How are you feeling?"

 

"Hunter?" I groan, trying to sit up.

 

"Lie back down, he's fine." She is trying to push me back down but I want to see my boy

 

"Hun..."

 

"Is right next to you, papa."

 

I look around and sure enough, Hunter is in there in the next bed sound asleep but the room is different.

 

"This is not my room, I mean it's..."

 

"Papa, you need to rest, Hunter is fine, exhausted but fine. So..."

 

"When did you get here?" I ask her.

 

"What do you mean here? You mean the hospital?"

 

I nod and immediately regret that as another wave of dizziness hits me but thankfully no nausea. I am so thirsty.

 

"Can I have some water please?"

 

She leaps to get it and gently puts the straw in my mouth.

 

"Slowly, Papa, drink slowly."

 

There is a groan and rustling from the other side of the room.

 

"What the fuck happened, why am I in here?" Hunter mumbles.

 

"Oh, thank fuck, I mean God, you are finally awake! Let me get the doctor, are you going to be okay with this, Papa?"

 

I nod as she dashes out shouting at the top of her lungs.

 

"Maybe you should've told her about the call button," Hunter says, carefully standing up.

 

I chuckle and wait for him to make it to my side.

 

"Do you have any idea how proud I am of you?"

 

He shrugs and looks away.

 

"Hey, hey look at me."

 

I wait until he does.

 

"I am here because of you..."

 

"Likewise," he mutters and kisses me on the forehead.

 

"What the hell are you doing out of bed?" Booms a voice we all know and love.

 

Deb came into the room with what smells like ziti with Carl behind her, he does not look happy.

 

"Hunter, come on, bed now," Carl orders, taking his arm and guiding him back to bed.

 

"Honestly, I'm fine."

 

"Yeah, people always faint when they are fine."

 

He grumbles hovering over him and then tucking in the sheets and then sitting down next to him. Jenny burst through the door with a mildly amused doctor behind her.

 

"Nice to see you are both awake gentlemen."

 

He comes to me first and checks my pulse and looks through my notes a bit and nods.

 

"Well, that little attempted jaunt has had no lasting effect; you can still go home next week."

 

He turns to check on Hunter.

 

"As for you young man..."

 

"What happened to him?" I ask.

 

"Well, his T-cell count has dropped a bit, but that's no cause for alarm. I suspect it was caused by dehydration exacerbated by exhaustion and I don't think he's been eating enough..."

 

"I was more concerned about..."

 

"When was the last time you ate something?" Deb demanded.

 

"A couple of days ago, there wasn't much in the house and I didn't feel like cooking for myself..."

 

"For yourself, what do you mean?" Carl demanded.

 

"In the evenings I mean, I mean after I..."

 

"After you what?" Deb demands.

 

"Michael and I had a row, and he's been staying at Britin..."

 

"What! Are you fucking kidding me? He left you alone!"

 

"Jenny, stop shouting. And calm down, it was just at night..."

 

The door opens and the man of the hour comes in all smiles with Brian and Justin behind him. Jenny rushes into Justin's arms and starts to cry. Michael is immediately by my side grasping my hand tightly.

 

"Oh, Jenny, what is it, what's happened? Doc?" Justin asks.

 

"Um, I'm not sure..."

 

"Are you not medically..."

 

"Brian!" Justin warns.

 

"Sorry Doc, but..."

 

"No problem, no problem at all, it has been a trying time for you all. Medically, they are both on the road to recovery, Ben is on schedule for discharge next week and as for Hunter, his T-cell count will come back up when he starts taking better care of himself and..."

 

"What do you mean, better care of himself, what the fuck is going on?" This time it's Jennifer.

 

"Enough! Seriously, it is like Grand Central Station in here. I'm the doctor, and I'm the only one allowed to speak for the next ten minutes. Does everyone understand!"

 

He looks around, then shakes his head.

 

"Now, as I was saying. They are both on the road to recovery, and as long as they follow my advice, they'll make a full recovery. But no nobody speaks but me, remember, Hunter needs to eat more, lots of carbs. His vitamin deficiency is also a worry but, seriously shush, again this can be helped by a good diet, and again, I will run tests and prepare a diet plan for him. As for his discharge, I think a couple of days here are needed to set him up, seriously Mrs. Horvath let me finish, so he has a solid foundation to build on. And we will be looking at both their meds and adjusting where necessary. Okay, now you can speak?"

 

And of course, nobody says a word, I think we are all too shocked about Hunter.

 

"Thanks, doctor, sorry let me introduce myself. I'm Jennifer Taylor, Justin's mother, and Hunter's grandmother. We can get a little intense sometimes as you can tell and..."

 

"Oh my God, what happened?" Emmett comes shrieking into the room. "I leave for a couple of days and you're in the hospital! Doctor, tell me immediately what is going on with my Littlest!"

 

His hands are on his hips and he has such a determined look on his face that I burst out laughing.

 

"What? What's so funny, Ben?" Michael is confused.

 

"I, oh gosh, I just had an, an image, this, Em, I mean he, just this is what Deb would look like as a gay man!"

 

"Oh, hell to the fuck, no you didn't!"

 

The entire room erupts with laughter. Once everyone calms down, the doctor leaves saying he will be back later to check on us but they can't stay any longer than ten minutes, and he will be sending someone down to check.

 

JENNIFER:

 

I look around the room and constantly marvel at the fact that this adorable and sometimes frustrating ragamuffin group are my family, yes, I said family. I never in my life thought that I would be a grandmother to three teenagers but here I am and proudly so. Hunter and I took a while to get to know each other, I suppose I came with my fears and misconceptions over HIV, but once Deb and Ben explained everything and assuaged my fears, I was fine.

 

"What happens when Hunter is discharged? He can't stay by himself at night."

 

At Jenny's question, I whip my head up. At night, what is this, at night?

 

"Maybe he can come to Britin and we can look after him?" Gus calls from the door.

 

"I think it would be better for him to stay with his grandma, Gus, after all, he needs to fatten up and nobody can feed like my ma," he says proudly. "And besides, if anything goes wrong, he'll be nearer the hospital."

 

"No Michael, he can't do that, I have double shifts all week. Kiki is out, recovering from her, well you know."

 

A collective shudder goes through the men in the room... even Carl.

 

"Dad, you are being silly! Hunter will simply go home and you look after him, that's what parents do, after all." Jenny chides him.

 

"That's true. I can whip up some stuff and fill your freezer so you don't have to cook at least. Well, that's that sorted then." Deb states.

 

"But..." Michael stammers.

 

"And speaking of eating, can someone rustle up some plates? The feeding starts now. Actually, this fucking thing is cold, wait let me sort this out." She bustles out heading to God knows where.

 

The door opens again and Mel and Linds come in loaded down with coffee and I think donuts, at least that's what it smells like, I see Hunter lick his lips.

 

"Okay everyone, back up!" I demand, channeling my inner Deb.

 

"What..." Michael begins again.

 

"Hunter and Ben get to choose first. Do you have a problem with that Michael?" I give him the gimlet eye and he's quiet.

 

"I know exactly what Hunter wants," Gus says, digging into the bag.

 

"I'll pick one for papa." Jenny joins him in the digging.

 

A few minutes later, Hunter and Ben are sighing contentedly having had a couple of donuts each, there is a low hum of conversation before Deb comes back in the smell of ziti fills the room, where the hell did she get plates and cutlery from, seriously she is one hell of a resourceful woman!

 

The doctor comes back in and shakes his head.

 

"How, just how? First, you are still here and second, there's more of you?"

 

"Welcome to our world," Justin mutters darkly.

 

"Come on doc, grab a plate and you can tell us exactly what needs to be done..."

 

Deb digs into the ziti and gives him the look... he shrugs and grabs a plate.

 

"So..." Brian drawls.

 

"Um, yeah, well. Hang on, this is good ziti. Right, ahem. So here are the diet plans and the list of physios..."

 

"Who do you recommend off that list?" I ask, taking it from him.

 

"Well, Steve Smart is good and I know for a fact that he hasn't got any clients. He can see them, yes I said them, that includes you, Hunter, straight away."

 

"Okay, I will contact him and get that sorted out, now the diet?"

 

Immediately people start to crowd the poor guy.

 

"Everyone, back the fuck off, for crying out loud!" Deb bellows.

 

He shows me the sheet and I pass it to Deb, who winces slightly, she tries to hand it to Michael but is intercepted by Justin.

 

"Ah, I see the problem." Brian drawls.

 

"Problem, what problem?" The doc asks.

 

"Practicing Buddhist and semi-vegetarian..." Justin answers.

 

"Oh, ah, I see. Well, I can recommend alternatives for the ones that are too much..."

 

"They're eating everything on there, I want my buff son and grandson back. No arguing!" Deb states fixing Ben with a stare and turns to Hunter, who is on his third donut.

 

"Are there donuts on there?" He asks hopefully. "If not, I'm getting my fill now."

 

"They will be," Carl murmurs.

 

"Right, now that this is sorted, I insist that you all leave, they need their rest," Doc says.

 

Reluctantly, people start to gather their things and we file out.

 

MEL:

 

What a fucking time this has been. I cannot believe that Hunter ended up in there too, but according to Jenny, he's been there every night, so I am not surprised that it took its toll.

 

"Okay, so where are we headed? We've got to work out a babysitting schedule for Hunter and get the fridge stocked, though some of the things on the list I have not heard of..." Deb trailed off.

 

"Why don't we go back to the loft as it's closer, and work on things there?" I suggest.

 

This is met by nods by everyone but Brian and Justin.

 

"We can't. We have a dinner with Leo Brown and his family tonight and need to prepare for that. Why don't you guys call tomorrow and let us know what's been agreed?" Justin explains.

 

I nod and they leave, I can't help the smile on my face as I watch Brian Kinney, yes the slut of Liberty Avenue, bury his fingers in Justin's hair and kiss his temple before he gets in the car, they pause and talk to each other, looking back at our motley crew, Brian nods and smiles.

 

"Right, the loft everyone..."

 

"Wait!"

 

I hear Brian call out.

 

"Why don't we take Gus and Jenny with us..."

 

"I thought you had a dinner to prepare for?" Michael sounds pissed.

 

"We do, but Leo's bringing his family, which includes his grandchildren and it might be nice to..."

 

"Give the kids a break from all this sh... stuff." Carl cuts in.

 

I look at Linds who nods and I turn to the hopeful faces of our children.

 

"What time do you need them?"

 

"We'll take them now, come on you two!"

 

And with that, they are gone.

 

Michael glowers as Brian's car speeds off into the distance, what the hell crawled up his ass?!

 

We reach the loft and I immediately pour myself a drink. Everyone settles down with Michael and Linds huddled together, I am not sure what they are talking about, but I keep hearing the word key, this is fucking annoying!

 

"Quinoa, what the hell is that?" Deb is reading the diet sheet.

 

"A grain, easily digestible and full of fiber," Jennifer explains.

 

The list is passed from person to person, eliciting chuckles from some and confusion from others.

 

"Oh, there is no way in hell you are going to get him to eat kale, unless we put it in a burger... that might work, yeah I can do that. Leave this with me, I will have them both buff in no time."

 

Emmett says, pulling out his notebook and then starts making some calls.

 

"Michael, is there anything you want to contribute to this discussion?" I'm snarking, I know.

 

"Not really, I just don't know how I'm going to afford all of this stuff..."

 

I raise my eyebrows at him, now I know he didn't just say that, clearly, he has forgotten that I know what Brian and Justin did for him.

 

"Excuse me. Say that to me again and this time think first. And what the hell are you two whispering about?"

 

Carl looks between the two of us but says nothing.

 

"Well, if you must know, Mel, since Michael is staying in Britin until Ben's..."

 

"But he's going to be going back to his place tonight to prepare for Hunter's discharge, aren't you?"

 

"Well no, I'm going back to Britin to stay the night until then..."

 

"How did Hunter get to the hospital every day?" Carl asks.

 

"Huh?" He looks a little shifty.

 

"How did my grandson get to the hospital every day if you were at Britin, and how did you get to Britin in the first place?" Carl demands.

 

"As you know, we had a row over Hunter's insistence that there was something else wrong..."

 

"Which he was right about," Jennifer interjects and is now standing.

 

"Anyway, moving on. I drove there and the car was there until now..."

 

"Well, that explains the exhaustion, poor kid having to take the bus all the time."

 

"Have you been opening the store?" Deb asks.

 

"No, of course not. I have been focused on Ben. I had to stay at ho... I mean Britin between visiting hours because I couldn't get a key, if they had given me a key, then they wouldn't have had to wait up to let me in. But Justin said no to that, I can't understand it, it makes perfect sense."

 

"I agree with Michael, it would've been easier for him to have been..." Linds begins.

 

That's it! I've had enough.

 

"No! No, it wouldn't have been easier!" I bellow the room falls silent.

 

"Let me call you back, things are getting good," Emmett mutters into his phone.

 

"Let me tell you two things. Brian is with Justin! Justin! Justin, and once more Justin! He bought the house for Justin! It is his house and he decides who comes and goes in it! You two have partners remember, me and Ben? You do not, do not, I repeat do not, need a key to Britin. In the highly unlikely event that you are not metaphorically humping his leg or up his ass, you will most likely be with Brian in the event of any emergency Michael, and believe me, you have no idea how annoying that is. And Linds, care to explain to me how you would be able to get to Britin in an emergency when you live in Toronto and the flight takes an hour, and we are forty-five minutes from the airport!"

 

"Mel!" Linds admonishes.

 

"And how could you, Michael, leave Hunter alone like that? If you had been the parent you fought to be - do you remember that because I do - I was the lawyer he hired, you would've gone home the next day but no you didn't, why is that? Your son needed you! But no, you wanted - correction needed - to be with Brian because he's your best friend! Well, I have news for you, you may think he's your best friend but he's not yours, he stopped being that years ago..."

 

"You don't know anything, Mel!" Michael shouts back.

 

"I know this! The only person in Toronto that is entitled to have a key is Gus because he is the only person that needs to get in there, and the only people in the Pitts that are entitled to have keys are Brian and Justin because they live there..."

 

"And Ted!" Michael snarks.

 

"Your memory is back then." Jennifer snipes.

 

Michael's face turns bright red. Deb shakes her head.

 

"You two best listen and know this. It stops, this key shit, stops right now. Do you understand?"

 

Reluctantly, they both nod and then we are all startled when the buzzer sounds.

 

"Hello?"

 

"Delivery for Michael Novotny Bruckner."

 

"Um, come up."

 

I turn to Michael who, for once, looks genuinely confused.

 

"What did you order?"

 

"Nothing?"

 

I open the door and the delivery guy shoves two large boxes into the room.

 

"Sign here please." I hand the machine to Michael.

 

We all look at them warily.

 

"Well open them!" Deb calls from behind Carl.

 

Michael tears open the first box and gasps.

 

"What, what's in there?" Emmett calls from the bedroom. When the hell did he come?

 

"It's, it's my stuff, all the stuff I had in Britin..."

 

Jennifer chuckles.

 

"No overnight stay for you then."

 

BRITIN

 

I watch him warily from under my lashes, he's not said a word since he packed all of Michael's stuff.

 

"Feel better?"

 

"Yes, so much better, Sunshine," he answers, sweeping me into his arms in a toe-curling kiss.

 

TBC