- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Some mistakes are just too big to fix… Brian and Justin comfort each other after a very stressful day…

Title: The Offer Still Stands…
Story Type: AU
Word Count: 6817
Rating: R, Porn…
Warnings: Anti-Michael, Passion and Lust…
Beta Queen: bigj52


Summary: Some mistakes are just too big to fix… Brian and Justin comfort each other after a very stressful day…

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, plot, etc. are property of their respective owners, including, but not limited to Russell T. Davies, Cowlip, and Showtime. The author of this story is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended…


The Offer Still Stands…

Chapter 24 ~ Hell to Pay…

Lindsay is waiting in a long line at the international terminal. She’s on her way to Monte Carlo with Fran and Leslie. They had a great time at the gallery opening last night, but they had to get up early to catch their plane. Two policemen walk right up to Lindsay, asking her to step out of line. She, of course, thinks it has something to do with being an international flight, knowing that they check some passengers more thoroughly.

What she didn’t expect was to be handcuffed and read her rights. Then informed that she was being arrested on charges of manslaughter and leaving the scene of an accident. She looks shocked, like a deer in the headlights as they take her away. Leslie and Fran get out of line and start questioning the police. They’re told that she’s being transported by the Pittsburgh police back to Pennsylvania where they have jurisdiction.

They’ll have to go to Pittsburgh to be able to talk with Lindsay, and get her a lawyer. It’s unlikely that she’ll be allowed out on bond, since she is being arrested trying to leave the country. Leslie may have been her friend but she doesn’t want to be dragged into whatever mess Lindsay has gotten herself into. So she says good-bye, and wishes her luck, but then gets back in line to go to Monte Carlo.

Lindsay’s embarrassed and humiliated by being arrested, crying as she’s put into the back of the police car. She’s told to settle down, that it’s a long ride back to Pittsburgh. She’s shocked. She really thought that her plan was so smart. She thought she’d be able to leave the country without the authorities finding out.

She contemplates who she should call once she’s back and allowed her phone call. Mel would be the smartest choice. After all, she is an attorney. Mel could possibly get her released until her hearing, or court case or whatever it is she’ll be going to. Manslaughter - that sounds so bad. She can’t believe that she’s being charged with that. It’s practically murder. Did she really kill those children? Tears start to well up in her eyes again, as she leans back into the seat, feeling sorry for herself.

Maybe Brian would be a better choice. After all he’s more understanding, and he loves her. He’d be able to afford to pay for an expensive lawyer, one that would be able to get her off without having to do jail time. She just hopes that he’s not too upset with her after breaking her promise and leaving town the way she did. Besides, her Peter could never stay mad at his Wendy for very long. No, she’s sure all will be forgiven.

She’d like to think that Carl could somehow get the charges reduced or dropped. But she knows he’s a straight arrow, and it’s unlikely that he’d go out of his way to help clear her name. The last person she wants to call is her father, even though he could easily afford to hire her an attorney. He’s a spineless, weak, little man who’s never once stood up to his rude and overbearing bitch of a wife.

No, she didn’t have many choices. It seems that everyone she knows she’s burnt in one way or another. The only other person left is her husband Sam. Sure, he still loves her, but he won’t be happy hearing about her run-in with the law. He’ll hate having his name trashed in the newspapers over her blatant and senseless behavior. She doesn’t really have anyone at this point; she’s feeling lonely and abandoned. It seems her life is spinning out of control, and she has no idea how she got here.

~~~

Justin is holding Gus’s hand while they walk from the parking lot into the toy store. He’s skipping and singing, he’s so happy he didn’t have any cavities. Though he didn’t like the loud spinning instrument that polished his teeth, he was a good boy and didn’t cry. Not like the other children when they came out from the dentist’s office with the high-pitched drill, or even the ones who were just waiting for their appointments.

Once they enter the store Justin could tell this might take hours, he should have known better and just picked out something for Gus himself. Needless to say, Gus is completely overwhelmed with all the toys, wanting to play with all of them. It’s obvious that Mel and Lindsay have never brought him into a toy store before. He can’t get over the fact that they only sell toys.

While searching for the perfect toy Justin decides that maybe it would be a good idea to also get some Disney DVDs. Of course Gus reviews all the DVDs, wanting Cinderella, The Princess and the Frog, Pocahontas, Tinkerbell, Alice in Wonderland and, of course, Tangled. Justin can’t help noticing that there is a princess theme in all his selections.

Obviously Gus is going through a phase, and he can’t help wondering how Brian will react. He just hopes that he won’t make a big deal out of it. Gus shows him the toy he selected, and Justin knows that Brian would have something to say. Gus is so happy, skipping and twirling around, holding his new Rapunzel doll and her ‘Book of Secrets.’ Gus looks so happy Justin can’t possibly try and talk him out of it. So he just hopes for the best when Brian gets home.

Later that evening Gus is laying on the floor with Thor and Zeek, watching Tangled and playing with his new Rapunzel doll. He keeps changing her outfits from one ball gown to another, loving the way they look. Justin, of course, conceded to his begging, after hearing him say he needs more clothes for her to wear. Brian comes in and sets his briefcase on the table in the hallway. He sees Gus and bends down, kissing the top of his head. Gus is excited as he shows him Rapunzel and her ‘Book of Secrets’.

“I though you wanted a new GI Joe?”

“Oh daddy, Justy took me to a store and all they sold was toys, a whole store full of toys. It was great! I just love Rapunzel! Isn’t she beautiful? And look how long her hair is.”

“I see…”

“Yeah, daddy, and I have lots of new dresses that she can change into. Do you want me to change her into the wedding gown? It’s so pretty!”

Brian doesn’t know what to say, but he smiles, seeing how happy Gus is.

“Sure thing!”

Brian comes up behind Justin as he’s stirring the Bolognese sauce. It smells great and he knows it will taste even better, although he knows he’ll have to run a few extra miles to burn off the calories. He’s stopped complaining about Justin’s high-carb dinners. Justin’s always trying out new recipes and Brian really does love his cooking.

“Want a taste?”

Justin holds his spoon up for Brian as he tastes the sauce, savoring all the flavors as his taste buds dance and his stomach growls.

“I’m going to gain twenty pounds if you keep cooking like this.”

Even though Brian teases him he knows that Brian loves it. Long gone are the days of only pizza and Thai food, they eat much healthier now. Besides, Gus needs to eat a more balanced diet and while takeout may be convenient it’s loaded with fat and preservatives.

“So, Rapunzel?”

“Yeah, he found the princess aisle and there was no turning back.”

“Geez, Justin, why not just buy him a Barbie?”

He didn’t know that Gus was already behind him, waiting to show him the sparkling bridal gown.

“Oh daddy! Can I really get a Barbie too?”

Justin can’t help the smirk that spreads across his face as Brian looks dumbfounded.

“We’ll see. Now why don’t you pick up your toys before dinner?”

“You knew he was standing behind me, yet you didn’t say anything.”

“How was I to know you were going to say that?”

“Justin!”

“Don’t worry. I’m sure it’s just a phase.”

“Yeah… But…”

“But what?”

“How long will it last? I mean, look at Em. He’s still in that phase.”

Justin can’t help laughing, and laughing. Brian looks mystified by this whole situation.

“I’m sure if you don’t act like it’s a big deal he’ll grow out of it.”

“You’re sure?”

“Yep. He’ll be a total label queen in no time, just like his daddy.”

Brian pulls Justin into his chest and kisses the top of his head.

“I’m so glad you know how to handle these situations. I have to idea how to react.”

“You’re a great dad, Brian. Gus loves you.”

“Thanks. I’m going to change and go for a run before dinner.”


Justin’s POV

Brian started running after work recently. Zeek and Thor trot alongside him into the wooded acres behind the house. They’re still young but manage to keep up with him so by the time Brian reaches the forest he’s sprinting. God, he looks beautiful. His muscles are so taut and he now has a soft sheen of perspiration, making his skin glow.

He used to run track back in high school, then there was the treadmill at the loft he used. But mostly he would meet the guys and work out at the gym. I thought that he might miss hanging out with them once we moved into the house. But he tells me that he’s more focused working out here; there’s no distraction while he’s trying to stay in shape.

I know he used to hook up at the gym practically every time he went, so I guess it’s a good thing. But I also know that Ted and Emmett miss spending time with him. I think he used to push them to actually break a sweat, while working out. Then there was their ritual of having breakfast at the diner afterwards.

I know he now stops by several mornings a week to meet up with them and to see Deb. Some traditions are just meant to be. It’s good for him to keep a routine, otherwise he might not ever see Emmett or Deb except on the occasional Sunday dinner, or drinks at Woody’s.

I was worried that he might regret moving into the suburbs, miss the city life and all the conveniences. But much to my surprise, Brian seems to like living here, actually likes getting away from all the drama. He loves our huge yard. He runs in the evenings, and likes to get up early and walk the wooded path as the sun comes up. I sometimes wake up early to see him and the dogs trotting off into the woods. It’s almost like they’re patrolling the grounds.

I hear Brian come back into the house, peeling off his sweat-drenched clothes, tossing them in the washer then he gets into the shower. When we remodeled the house we added a mud room/bathroom and shower, complete with a washer and dryer. Brian moved a dresser in there so he’d have workout clothes, as well as jeans and t-shirts to put on without traipsing his dirty smelly clothes through the house. It’s one of those conveniences of having a huge house, and a huge bank account.

After setting the table, I drain the penne in the colander, letting it stand for a few minutes. I start grating fresh parmesan cheese that Brian loves on his pasta, even though he’ll never admit it.

“You made garlic bread, right?”

“Yes, just for you… So you can complain about all the carbs, while enjoying each and every bite.”

He grins at me. “How thoughtful of you.”

Then he does that thing with his tongue in his cheek. God, this man makes me weak in the knees sometimes. He grabs the salad from the counter, placing it on the table, and I motion for him to bring the small plate of sliced mini cucumbers, grape tomatoes and baby carrots. He looks at me questioningly and I tell him Gus won’t eat salad, but he loves raw veggies.

Gus runs back into the kitchen after finishing playing with his new toys, and cleaning up for dinner. He’s excited as he starts telling Brian what a good boy he was at the dentist. He’s so proud because he didn’t even cry, and the dental assistant gave him a new toothbrush with Spiderman on it. I smile, knowing that he’s already brushed his teeth three times since we got home a few hours ago.

~~~

Carl finally gets home to find Deb slightly annoyed that he didn’t even call to let her know he’d be late; it’s a casualty of being a policeman. He’s usually good about checking in with her so he bends down to kiss her. She can’t help showing her frustration by snarking that dinner is probably all dried out and tasteless by now, although she knows it’s not his fault.

“I’m sorry, Deb. It couldn’t be helped. The officers had just gotten back from New York. I wanted to interrogate Lindsay while she was still stressed out and agitated from her long ride back home. Suspects are much more likely to slip up when they’re in that state of mind, before they have time to relax and make up a story that they think will shine a better light on their perspective of the events.”

“Well? What did she say? Why did she do it? Did she really think she’d get away with it?”

“Deb, honey. You know I can’t tell you that. But I can tell you that once she’s given her statement, she’ll be held overnight at the station. Then she’ll be booked on formal charges, printed and photographed then sent for arraignment. They’ll most likely hold her without bond, considering that she tried to leave the country already.”

“I don’t know if I should be mad or worried. I just can’t understand why she did this. Especially after Brian went out of his way to help her after her ordeal in court.”

“It’s hard to say what makes people do the things they do.”

“She’s obviously not thinking straight.”

“That’s for sure.”

“But why? This just isn’t the Lindsay I know.”

“I think it’s safe to say she has a drinking problem. People often do things that seem out of character when they’re suffering from substance abuse.”

“I wouldn’t go that far.”

“Deb, you really don’t know what she’s been through since she left Pittsburgh and married that artist. She’s been acting out for a long time now.”

“But Lindsay? She’s such a good person. She’s a good mother and she comes from a good home.”

“Do you know how cliché that sounds?”

Carl hugs her and tells her not to worry, that the important thing is she’s back. Deb smiles at him, and then she serves him her baked ziti, that’s more than just baked at this point.

~~~

Ted and Emmett are at Woody’s, having drinks when the rumor mill makes its way around Liberty Avenue. It seems that Lindsay is now back and safely locked away in her holding cell. They won’t know anymore until her hearing tomorrow, both Ted and Emmett think that’s exactly where she belongs. They’re still in shock that she hit those children, killing them and then fleeing the scene of an accident. They don’t have much sympathy as they don’t really know who she’s become these days. They order another round of drinks while they wait for Ben. He’s teaching an evening class, then they’re all headed off to Babylon.

~~~

Mel just put JR down for the night as she comes and sits with Leda, sharing a glass of wine. They look around at all the boxes surrounding them. It almost feels like they’re tucked into a cocoon, but they’re also excited as they love their new house. They can hardly believe that they’ve moved into this upscale neighborhood. Of course, it wouldn’t have been possible if not for Brian. Mel’s still shocked by Brian’s generosity and how much he’s changed.

She cringes every time the phone rings, praying that it’s not Lindsay. She just doesn’t know what to say to her and there’s no way she’ll ever consider representing her. Leda tells her not to worry, she’s sure Mel is the last person she will call, knowing how protective she is of Gus. Just the mention of Gus makes her smile, he’s so happy living with Brian and Justin. She was worried when he first went to live with them, but he’s adjusted to the change and now tells everyone that he has two daddy’s who love him.

Leda eyes the stacks of boxes, but then decides that they aren’t going anywhere. She suggests that what they need to do is try out that old claw-foot bathtub. That brings a smile to Mel’s face, remembering the old days when they lived together, and the long baths they enjoyed. She is amazed at how easy everything is with Leda, it always was. With Lindsay everything was always strained, always a power struggle. They never really learned to just relax and enjoy each other.

~~~

Justin is reading Gus ‘The Book of Secrets’ before he tucks him in for the night. Brian is reviewing his presentation for ‘Eye on the Ball,’ Leo Brown’s new sports line for teens. He’s just about to shut down his laptop when his cell rings; he answers it without checking the caller ID.

“Brian? I’m so glad you answered. I really need your help.”

“Lindsay! I can’t believe you’re looking to me to get you out of this mess.”

“Oh Peter. I know you’ll always come to my rescue.”

“Not this time, you’ve gone too far. Call someone who cares.”

“Brian. You don’t mean that. You’re the only one I have.”

“You still have a husband, don’t you?”

“Brian. It’s you that I need. I know you still care about me.”

“I care about Gus whom you seem to have shut out of your life. I don’t want him finding out I supported you, after everything you’ve done. Because I don’t, Lindsay! I don’t understand you, and I won’t be part of all your schemes.”

“Brian. I was drunk. I didn’t even know anyone was injured.”

“Drunk? That’s your excuse? Maybe a little jail time will do you some good. Help you gain some perspective on your behavior.”

“I… I can’t go to jail like a common criminal. So I made a mistake. Everybody makes mistakes.”

“You’ve been making mistakes since you started back up with Sam Auerbach. I’m still furious at the way you walked out of Gus’s life. I won’t be a part of your manipulations and deceit. I don’t even know you anymore!”

“Brian! Please! Don’t shut me out. I really need you right now.”

“I was willing to give you a second chance, Lindsay, and you threw it away… But that was my mistake, I won’t make another one.”

“Brian! Brian! Please don’t hang up!”

“Why not? I have nothing to say to you anymore…”

“Brian, please. I only get one phone call. If you hang up no one will be coming to help me.”

“That’s not my problem, Lindsay. I won’t be made a chump twice in a row.”

“Brian, please, please. At least call Sam for me, he doesn’t know what’s happened. I don’t want him finding out in the tabloids.”

Brian hesitates, thinking about it; he finally agrees to call Sam even though he doesn’t want to. He’s angry and resentful, hating that she’s once again pulled him into the middle of her spider web. He just knows he’s about to be used once again, and he can’t help wondering why he has such a hard time saying no to her.

He’s now in a sour mood and feels like drinking, but he knows that Justin is waiting for him. Besides it’s best not to let his bad mood fester, getting the best of him. So he foregoes the whisky and rolls a joint. It will help him unwind, and Justin always loves to smoke pot before they make love.

When he finally makes it upstairs he finds a very lustful Justin, sprawled across the duvet, grinning at him with hooded eyes. He’s lying naked with one knee bent, his legs spread wide and his arms over his head. Brian wasn’t feeling very romantic after Lindsay’s phone call, but just seeing his husband lying there, ready and waiting, is enough to rectify his grumpy disposition.

Justin leans forward, beckoning Brian to him, determined to vanish Brian’s somber expression. Brian naturally welcomes Justin’s arms as he feels them encompass him, pulling him down on top of Justin. Justin has a way of lifting his mood with just a look, or a gesture; he’s always been able to read him so well. Justin knows not to ask, Brian will tell him when he’s ready. He just hopes that whatever it is, isn’t too serious and can wait until morning. Tonight he wants his undivided attention.

Brian moans as Justin’s fingers knead his tense shoulder muscles. “That feels great!”

Justin continues working his way across his shoulders and neck as Brian seems to carry so much stress in his upper back. Brian relaxes to his touch, as he sinks into the mattress, loving the deep muscle massage. Once he unwinds a little, he suddenly feels overdressed and he can’t wait to feel his husband’s warm pale skin against his. Brian rolls over so he’s now on top of Justin; his lips come crashing down on his as they start to devour each other.

When they finally break for air, Justin’s hands are already pulling on the fabric of Brian’s wife-beater until he has pulled it off. Brian makes quick work of his blue jeans, kicking them off and onto the floor. Justin’s eyes have now turned an intense deep blue, showing his longing. Brian covers Justin’s body with his as he continues kissing him. A shiver runs through Justin, making him arch his back, rubbing their groins together.

Feeling their bodies caress one another sends them both into overdrive. Justin’s legs naturally circle Brian’s waist, as Brian licks and nips across his neck. Brian pulls his legs up onto his shoulders, then coats his rosebud with his lubed fingers. Moments later he penetrates him in one long smooth motion. Justin pushes down, taking more of Brian into him. They both moan as the familiar rhythm takes hold, gently increasing until they’re both panting.

They know each other’s bodies so well, knowing just what they need and want. Brian loses himself in their sexual dance as they both sway and dip, loving each and every vibration that hums throughout them. Soon they’re both being pulled closer and closer to their climax as waves of pleasure pulsate from within. Justin feels himself falling over the edge, as his prostate spasms and he chants, “Brian, Brian, Brian.”

Brian loves watching his husband as he cums, loves knowing that he has the power to make him quiver and shake. It isn’t long before Justin’s slick walls clench and release him, triggering his own orgasm as he shoots deep within him. Brian collapses down onto Justin’s chest, as Justin runs his hands through his damp hair while he catches his breath.

“Aaa-mazing!”

Shortly after, Brian has rolled onto his back and Justin is fast asleep with his head on Brian’s stomach. Now it’s Brian who’s running his hands through Justin’s hair as he listens to his faint snore, although Justin will deny it. He’s so sure he doesn’t snore. But Brian doesn’t mind, he loves listening to the little squeals, sighs and sounds that his husbands makes. Soon Brian himself has drifted off to sleep, releasing all his tension and anxiety, at least for now.

~~~


Justin’s POV

The next morning I get Gus ready for school and Brian drops him off on the way to Kinnetik. He has a busy day ahead of him, with Leo coming into town for the new teen line of sportswear. I find myself roaming the yard, sipping my coffee. It’s a warm spring morning and I decide to paint out in the rose garden. They’re beautiful and smell so fragrant. I want to capture the subtle hues of the Peace roses while they’re in full bloom. After changing into my painting clothes and gathering my art supplies, I sit on the ornate bench, smoking the joint Brian left on the dresser last night.

I love being stoned, along with drinking strong coffee in the morning. I love the combination of both highs, it sparks my creativity. Soon I’m mixing paints, trying to capture just the right shades of creamy pink and peach to reflect the soft petals. My paint brush flows across the canvas, leaving a spiral of colors that flow from a sunny rose into a very soft pink. When you first look at the canvas you only see a whirling pattern, but once you stare at it a few minutes you’re able to see the gentle folds of the delicate petals, looking like a nautilus as it scrolls to form the rosebuds.

I continue to paint them over and over again across different size canvases - some larger and some smaller, varying shades and depth of colors. I’m loving the different intensities of each of the swirls as they form and flow across the canvas. As they dry they seem to take on even more color variation, making them almost jump off the page. As I set the canvases aside, my stomach is growling, begging to be fed. I know that I need to eat something before I leave for class. Looking down at my work, I think I have several masterpieces. I love the way they look. I can just imagine them hanging as a group on a wall.

~~~

After lunch I rush and take a shower then I’m off to the city. I’m running a little late as I grab a large latte from the Starbucks’ kiosk then head to class. Matthew runs to catch up with me, telling me he waited in the student lounge but I never showed up. I like the kid and everything, but I thought I made it clear that I’m not interested, that I’m married. He hands me three white chocolate macadamia nut cookies, grinning as he says, “I hope you enjoy them. By the way, I asked around about you and Mr. Kinney.”

“Oh?”

“You two have quite the reputation down on Liberty Avenue. I understand that you have an open relationship. I find that absolutely fascinating.”

I just glare at him. I don’t like where this conversation is going, and I don’t much care for our relationship being the talk of the town. But he just ignores my irritated look and continues.

“I know you’re not interested in dating, but how about hooking up? I just know it would be great, and I’m really attracted to you.”

“Whatever you’ve heard isn’t quite accurate. You really shouldn’t believe all the rumors and innuendos around Liberty Avenue. The gossip mill isn’t always true.”

Thank God we’ve made it to class. I quickly take a seat in the back of the room where there aren’t any other seats. But good old Matthew actually asks the girl next to me to move, so we can sit together. Again I glare at him as he’s still oblivious to my displeasure. He’s doing that grinning thing again, and my stomach is now doing somersaults. Please God, don’t let him continue this conversation. The last thing I want is to have the back of the class hearing his lewd comments and propositions.

I hand him back his cookies, it’s really not a good idea to accept his sweet treats. I feel like I’m somehow leading him on, and I want this behavior to stop. Even if I love all the confections he seems to lavish on me, I can afford to buy my own baked goods. Smiling, I tell him I’m trying to cut back on my carbs; God, I’m sounding more like Brian every day. He frowns and refuses to take them, so to prove my point I offer them to the girls in front of us. They eagerly accept, turning and smiling a little too broadly. I hope like hell I don’t now have more admirers.

During class I stare at the professor, and take lots of notes even though I already know today’s class lecture. Matthew keeps making comments, and asking questions about the class materials being presented. Finally I snap and tell him if he paid more attention to the professor, he would already know the answers. It almost seems like time is ticking backwards, and class will never end. Finally I stand, ready to make a beeline to the door, but Matthew grabs my arm, smiling, and says, “So how about it?”

“I have to pick up my son from school.”

There. That should but the nail in the coffin and end all this pining, but no such luck. He hands me a scrap of paper with his phone number. “Call me. I’ll be waiting.” I can only imagine this is how Brian feels when guys just won’t take a hint. But he’d probably toss the phone number in the trash right in front of them. I just don’t have the audacity to do that.

I find myself walking towards the administration building, and soon I’m sitting in front of a student counselor, trying to explain why I need to switch my class to another time. I know the professor teaches this class a couple different times a week. After much hemming and hawing I find myself lying, saying that my son’s schedule has a conflict and he must be my top priority. I’m now signed up for a different day, and now I truly do have a conflict with Gus’s schedule. I just hope my mom can help out and pick him up on Thursdays. I’m so stressed out now, I do need some gooey confection to drown my feelings of guilt.

~~~

Brian’s presentation with Leo took forever, but they worked together and came up with exactly what Leo is looking for. After a long lunch, and several drinks to celebrate their new venture, Brian’s phone rings. It’s Sam Auerbach, of all people. Last night Brian had to leave a message, because with the time difference and their busy schedules, they didn’t get a chance to discuss Lindsay’s incarceration.

Brian’s actually never met Sam, but he already doesn’t like him, doesn’t like the way he’s influenced Lindsay. But he has to admit that it’s the best thing that’s happened to Mel. She and Leda are a much better fit, and they seem to get along much better. Maybe the new munchers will turn out to be friends. Of course it helps that Leda is now employed at Kinnetik, and Brian likes her work ethic.

“Sam! Sam, she’s not my problem. She’s your wife, and I really don’t want to get involved in all her problems.”

They argue for several minutes and then Sam hangs up on Brian. Brian’s shocked. Sam refuses to come and help her. Now Brian’s in the position of having to deal with her once again. He can’t help thinking it would do her some good to actually have to sit in jail until her trial. But he’s not that cruel, and he seems to have a soft spot for her, even if he doesn’t want to.

Finally he calls Mel and listens to her rant and rave about how Lindsay made her own bed… Blah, blah, blah…


Brian’s POV

“I know, I know, Mel… But the least I can do is call her an attorney, then she’s on her own. I know… I’m not getting involved. I can’t just leave her in jail. Okay, thanks. I’ll expect his call, and thanks, Mel. I know how hard this is for you. Later.”

I’m stressed. I need a drink, but when I get home I head straight out back for a long run. This seems to clear my head and improve my mood. By the time I’m out of my shower and in my trusted old blue jeans, I’m feeling better. Justin hands me a beer and we sit out back, watching Gus run around the yard, chasing the dogs. Or are Thor and Zeek chasing him? It isn’t really clear. We wait for the pizza delivery guy and Justin assures me he’s ordered me a large Greek salad. I’ve yet to understand how a salad with peperoni and Greek olives is low fat, but I don’t complain.

Halfway through our second beer and with Gus way across the yard I tell Justin about my phone calls with Lindsay, Sam and Mel. I can tell he wishes that I wasn’t getting involved in this tragic mess. He’s really protective of Gus and the implications it might have on him. I feel proud of how much he loves and shelters Gus from all the harsh truths of life. I know he’s still a young boy and he doesn’t know about the cold realities of our cruel world.

To break the tension he tells me all about Matthew and his insistent prying and pushing. I can’t help laughing, remembering another young lad who pushed himself into my life. He hits me across my chest, saying that was different but I’m glad he can laugh about it. This Matthew situation could be a problem, but I hope not. He seems to have found a solution, although I’ll have to leave early on Thursdays to pick Gus up. Jennifer has a standing realtors’ meeting on Thursday afternoons. But I don’t mind, it will give Gus and me a little bonding time, just the two of us.

As if the day couldn’t get any worse, my cell starts ringing halfway through dinner. It’s Claire. It seems my mother has been in a car accident, and she’s now in the emergency room. The police are there asking lots of questions, and she’s refusing to take a breathalyzer test. Why is it I seem to be the only one who can fix everyone’s problems? We finish dinner and I head out to the hospital, wishing I was the one to give Gus his bath and read him bedtime stories.

When I get there my mother is in full Kinney mode, snarky and bitching, being totally belligerent with the police, nurses and even her precious priest. Now I know where I get this from. I’m surprised that it isn’t Father Thom, but it’s someone new - Father Benedict. He’s holding her hand and talking quietly with her. This seems to calm her down and the police finally agree to give her a ticket and a summons to appear in court. I’m beginning to think I need to have a lawyer on call. I’m spending a lot of time these days dealing with the justice system.

God, I feel a headache coming on and I want a cigarette, but of course you can’t smoke in the hospital. Besides, I promised Justin I would try and quit. The little twat has it in his pretty blond head that I’m going to get lung cancer and die. Clare’s in full drama queen mode and I’m just letting her squawk, letting her get it out of her system. I kind of space out, until I catch her ranting about how dear old mom should live with me and Justin.

“NO FUCKING WAY! You can’t be serious! We’d kill each other in the first twenty-four hours! Besides she hates me, and my queer husband.”

“She’s not coming to live with me! I’m under enough stress, taking care of the boys and working two jobs.”

We’re in a staring contest, both determined to get our own way. Stubbornness is another Kinney trait, and we’re now both in drama queen mode.

“Brian, maybe it’s time to put her in a home?”

“I thought that’s what we were talking about, just not my home.”

“Brian! You know what I mean!”

“Claire. She’s only sixty-five, not eighty. Besides they’d probably kick her out. She can be such a bitch.”

“Well then, what? What are we going to do? She can’t continue to live by herself… Well?”

“I’m thinking! Okay, maybe we can get someone to come and live with her, take care of her?”

“That’s not a bad idea.”

“I don’t really have bad ideas!”

“God! You are such an asshole!”

Just then the doctor comes over to talk with us. They’ve calmed her down and admitted her to the hospital for observation. It’s his opinion that she shouldn’t be driving anymore. Or at least until her alcoholism is addressed, and hopefully she can go into a treatment center. I’m thinking that’s a great idea, but he’ll have to be the one to prescribe it. There’s no way she’ll go if me or Claire suggest it, she’d be totally in denial.

He tells us because this is her first offence that the police might not charge her, if she agrees to treatment. She’ll have to be admitted to a program that’s anywhere from thirty to ninety days. Of course, Claire’s looking to me to pay for this, and of course, I will. Besides, it will give us time to resolve the living situation, and maybe find someone to be a caregiver. He leaves and Claire insists that I come with her to visit mom in her hospital room.

As soon as we’re through the door she starts right in on me, and here I thought he said she was drugged. No such luck.

“I want to go home!”

“That’s not going to happen.”

Claire glares at me, and then she turns on her sickeningly sweet voice. “Oh mom. How are you? I’m so worried about you.”

Oh brother, now I’m going to be sick. She is such a phony. She’s never had the backbone to stand up to her. I’m about to walk out, disgusted by the whole situation, but my mother’s voice pulls me back in.

“I’m surprised to see you here, Brian.”

I grin, trying not to snap at her. She’s so curt and condescending.

“Why mother, where else would I be?”

Two can play this game.

“Did you hear me? I want to go home! Now!”

“Did you hear me? That’s not going to happen! You’ve been in an accident. You’re drunk and you need medical attention.”

“I am not drunk. That’s absurd. It was just a little fender bender, hardly a scratch.”

Thank God the nurse is here, and she’s not one of those pansy nurses like the one in the ER. She’s a killer. She gives my mother the death glare. I like her already. She starts to take her blood pressure, and then starts an IV. Mom starts to balk, but Nurse Ratched twists her arm, and jabs her with the needle. I’m liking her better by the minute. Maybe we can get her to babysit dear old mom.

“Mrs. Kinney, if you don’t hold still and do as you’re told, it’s only going to hurt more.”

Claire looks on in awe as she’s never seen anyone be able to put my mother in her place. Nurse Ratched informs us that visiting hours are over and we’ll have to come back tomorrow. Thank God, she doesn’t have to ask me twice. I’m out of here.

“Brian! Brian! Wait up… What are we going to do about mom?”

“Send her off to boot camp. You heard the doctor.”

“But what if she won’t go?”

“Maybe a few nights in jail might change her mind.”

Maybe she can share a cell with Lindsay… Hee, hee, hee… I’m evil…

“Brian!”

“Claire, I have to go. I’m sure we’ll talk tomorrow.”

By the time I get back to the house it’s dark, and I find both my boys sound asleep in Gus’s bed, surrounded by several books, Rapunzel and multiple evening gowns. God, I really hope this is just a phase. I pour myself a few fingers of Jim Beam and sit at my desk, looking at treatment centers on the internet. A couple hours later, and several glasses of Beam and I’m ready for bed.

I gently lift Justin off the bed without waking him or Gus. He sinks down into our big mattress as he snuggles up to his pillow. Once I’m in bed he instinctually rolls over and snuggles up to me. I wish he’d wake up and help me relieve some of my stress, but he’s already snoring sweetly so I’ll have to wait until morning.

TBC…