- Text Size +

 

 

*We are getting closer to the two of them alone at Britin! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Nurse Helen

My shift started about an hour ago and so far only two patients had decided to try my patience.  Dr. Shelton had already stopped by and left me a list of orders two miles long and Shirley the new CNA was dragging her feet and did not want to finish her rotation.  So, needless to say, I was irritated and ready to snap. 

I was swiftly walking to my next destination when I was nearly knocked down by a man child with dark hair and furrowed eyebrows. If you asked me he could have done with a trip to Marcy, my local beautician, to sculpt those wayward caterpillars that sat above his eyes, back into some semblance of order. Anyway, that is about the only thought I could assemble before he opened his mouth.

"Excuse me, why don't ya watch where you're going?" His tone was biting as much as it was sarcastic.  I could tell that he was one of those types that typically thought the world should revolve around them and that their problems were the only ones that mattered.

He kept looking at me like I owed him an apology, so I let him have it, "Look little man..." he cut me off with "My name is Michael."  I just shrugged, "I have no clue what your problem is today, but let's get something straight.  You need to have your attitude adjusted, and while it will not be by me, Lord knows I wish it were, someday someone is going to fix that problem for you."  He just rolled his eyes and stomped off.  Oh well, it's not like I don't have more important things to do anyway.

About an hour later I was down to my last patient, one Justin Taylor.  That name sounds familiar, but I don't know why.  I quietly knock on the door and slide it open.  Laying tangled together is the patient and another man.  They had this quiet beauty about them that was hard to deny.  I know that hospital policy forbids this type of behavior, but for the life of me, I could not separate them.

I walked quietly over to the bed to check Mr. Taylor's vitals and was surprised to find hazel eyes staring up at me.  I could see the protectiveness in them, so I approached the entangled pair with caution.  Hazel Eyes leaned slightly away so that I could reach the arm band to scan for Mr. Taylor's meds.

"He's looking a lot better today." I whispered so that I wouldn't wake the sleeping patient.  "The doctor said that he might get to go home tomorrow."  The brunette nodded his head although his eyes were on the blonde resting beside him.  I gave him his dose of vitamins as well as a light pain killer.

"I will check on him again in a couple of hours, but I will make sure to keep it quiet for him." Again he nodded in acknowledgement of what I said. 

"Thanks, he really needs the rest.  I will be glad when we get home, he will probably sleep better without all of the family visitors popping in."  I nodded completely understanding that sentiment.  I had pneumonia 2 years ago and while family thought they were being thoughtful, all I could think was that I wished they would just go away.

I gave them both another smile and walked away to finish my shift.

 

~Ted

I sat up startled from my sleep not knowing what had originally woke me. That's when I notice the phone beside my bed buzzing from text messages and missed calls.  There was one from Brian stating that he was at the hospital, one from Cynthia letting me know that Michael was driving her up the wall (a heads up she said) and of course 13 texts and 7 missed calls from Michael himself.

Blake looked over at me from his side of the bed.  "What is it?" His blue eyes glowed in the small light from the hallway.  "It's mostly Michael."  Blake rolled his eyes.  See, Blake came into the "family" with no preconceptions as to how anyone should be.  While I still carried some feelings for Michael, especially since he was one of my closest friends, Blake was the one to help me see how childish and self-absorbed Michael could be.

"What does he want?" Blake asked.  He wasn't being sarcastic but understandingly to my plight.  "Well, it seems that Justin is in the hospital and Michael has been kept from seeing Brian, who of course is with Justin."

"Well good.  He has never really cared for Justin and is a little too obsessed with Brian.  Neither of which can be good for the couple right now."  I could totally see where Blake was coming from.  I had seen the desolation in Brian's face those few months before he left for Chicago.  It didn't help that Michael seemed to think that the answer to all of it was for Brian to go back to the immature playboy that he had been.

"Yeah, I know.  I am going to text Brian and see if he needs anything."  I started to type out my text.  I turned back to Blake, "Did you know that Brian asked me to fix up the house for some business retreat a few days ago?"  Blake propped his head on his arm and asked, "Why did he do that?  Do you think he knew that Justin was sick?"

I thought about it for a minute, and then, "No, I really don't think he did.  In fact, it was Gwen's idea to open the house up."  Talk about fate and whatnot.  I had seen those two together and it never ceased to amaze me at how strong the connection was between them.  It was no wonder that Brian turned into a practical zombie when Justin left.

"I think I am going to try to do some damage control.  I need to go kick the business party out of the house so that they have a quiet place to stay.  If I know the "family" they are not going to leave them alone unless they can't find them.  Thank God no one knows about the house."  I stood up and went to go take a nice long shower, because there was no way I was going to get any peace until the dust settled from this fiasco.

 

~Gwen

With our business meetings concluded, most of the party had already started to leave.   The cleaning crew, sent by Ted, had arrived about an hour ago and I was packing my things to leave as well.  This week had been an eye opening experience about one Brian Kinney.  I honestly hoped that Brian realized that self-sacrifice rarely was as noble as it sounded.

I really don't know why I had listened when the girl he called Daphne showed up, I just knew that Brian could not continue to operate the way he had been.  I had lived through the pain and loneliness of not being with the person I loved.  There was not a day that went by that I did not think about my time with Lilith.  She had given me so much and I just couldn't let go of my past long enough to stay with her.  I forever regret the day that I turned away from her and moved to Chicago.  It had been 7 years, but the pain was the same as it had been all those years ago.

Watching Brian reach out to the person that he loved gave me the resolve to find Lilith, if only to let her know the impact that she had on my life.  With renewed determination, I finished packing, loaded my car and drove back to Chicago to start my search.

 

~Brian

The day had come for Justin to be released and I was ready to get him to the house and away from the constant traffic in the hospital.  So far I had not had to confront Michael about his dramatic behavior that through hospital staff gossip had made it to my ears.  But I knew it was coming.  I thought about it for a minute and decided it would be best for me to find him before he found me.  I looked up at Justin.  He was watching some show about serial killers and the people that went after them. 

He must have felt my eyes on him because he looked over at me and gave me a small smile.  "Hey."  His voice was stronger than the other day, but he still sounded tired.

"Hey," I felt the corners of my lips turn up in answer, "I'm going downstairs to get rid of some of your groupies.  Maybe we won't get mauled on our way out."  I could tell by the relieved expression and by his knowing look that was he grateful that he wouldn't have to talk to anyone for a little while longer.

We had talked a little the night before and he had been very open about the fact that he didn't think he could handle talking with anyone right now.   I had to agree with him, he would talk to me, but as soon as Jennifer stepped in the room, he became silent again.  He did tell her he loved her and was sorry, but most of the time he was quiet.

He reached for my hand and I grabbed his.  He gave me a small squeeze and said, "I'll be ok, you go and do what you need to."  I stood up and leaned over his bed.  I let my fingers trail over jawline.  It never ceased to amaze me at how soft his skin was.  I bent over him and softly kissed his forehead.   His lips never moved but I could see the smile in his eyes.  I turned and walked to the door.  As I placed my hand on the handle I heard him call my name.  "Brian?"  I turned back to him.  "Love you."  I smiled back at him, "Love you too, Sunshine."  With those four words the smile that had previously been absent was there in all its shining glory.  With one last long look I turned the handle and walked from the room.  I had a mission to complete.

 

~Michael

Sitting in this lobby for the last few hours was starting to get on my nerves.  I had gone home the night before still without talking to Brian.  It seemed like every time I got close to the room that old nurse, Helen or Helga or something like that, would come up with some reason for me to have to go back to the lobby.

Just then Brian walked in the room.  He looked tired but determined.  He gave a brief nod to Jennifer and Molly and the walked over to me.  I smiled at him and reached to give him a hug, but he put his hand out in halting motion.  He looked me in the eyes and said "With me."  His voice was monotone and for the life of me, I didn't know why he seemed so pissed.  We walked along the halls of the hospital with a grim countenance.  I was starting to get a little nervous.  Brian and I have not been that close in recent years and it hard to read him right now.

We stepped outside and he turned to me.  "Michael," oh no, he used my full name, "I am going to only say what I have to say one time.  If I have to ever repeat it, our friendship will have to end."  I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes.  So this is what is up.  Boy Wonder must have finally gotten to him.  His eyes were serious as he continued, "I don't know what is in your head, but know this, I love Justin...I am going to be with Justin.  I need you to leave and let us be alone for a while."

"Brian, are you fucking crazy?!  He is going to leave and hurt you again.  What are you going to do then?  Run back to Chicago?  Or maybe yet open an office in Alaska!"  I stepped closer to him, "Every time poor little Justin gets hurt, sick, or upset you go running like a faithful little lap dog.  Is that what you are now!?  Justin's little lap bitch!"  Wow, I cannot believe I just yelled at him.

"MICHAEL!!!"  Brian's shout had gotten not only my attention, but that of everyone around us.  The security guard looked at us warily, but remained seated at his podium when Brian backed up a step.  "Look, we are leaving and the best thing you can do is just shut your fucking mouth and leave us alone.  For now and until I say otherwise, stay the hell away from me or there might be a repeat of the munchers' party."  I watched as he pushed past me and went back into the hospital without a backward glance.

 

~Brian

That little whiney shit!  I can't believe he said that.  Well, maybe I can.  Anyway, I need to calm down before I get back to Justin's room.  He really doesn't need this shit right now.  Walking along the corridors of the hospital, I had time to think.  I was hurt over Mikey's words and actions.  It was just as Ted had said some time ago, Michael hated or was jealous of Justin that's the only explanation as to why he would act that way, especially to me.  I didn't want to believe it.  At the time it hadn't really mattered, at least in the sense that Justin was in New York, I was in Chicago and Mikey was in the Pitts.  But now, Justin was home and if I had my say he would be from now on.  Mikey was either going to have to accept that or, as much as it would pain me, get out of my life.

 

~Justin

Gahhh!  I am so ready to go home.  Brian said something about going to deal with everyone, but I know what he was really doing.  We talked and both came to the conclusion that Mikey needed to be told how things were going to be.  It was kind of the first test in seeing if this new Brian was the real deal.  I hate that it has to be that way.  I know that it is going to hurt Brian, because let's face it, Michael is never going to be ok with me, or my relationship with him.

Brian walked back in the room and I could tell by the look on his face that the talk had not gone well.  "Things didn't go so well."  The fact that Brian was the first to initiate the conversation allowed me to say something about the situation that I wouldn't have dared to otherwise.  "I'm sorry, Brian."  He nodded his head and I held out my hand.  He swiftly walked across the room and took it in his.  He leaned down and brushed his lips across mine.  As they lingered, I let out a small moan.  He lifted his head and smirked down at me.

"Hey! No fair."  I ran my hands up behind his neck and pulled him back down.  This time as we kissed I opened my mouth and his tongue pressed inside.  The kiss soon turned a little heated until a throat was cleared at the foot of the bed.  Dr. Shelton was standing there with a somewhat amused look on his face.  "Mr. Taylor, I was just stopping by to give you your discharge papers and some instructions for your release."   He handed the papers to Brian and continued, "I have given you a prescription for some multivitamins as well as some antibiotics.  The vitamins will help you with the anemia and other deficiencies that showed up in your last lab results.  The antibiotics will help prevent infections that could happen due to your weakened immune system."

"Dr. Shelton, should any of his physical activities be limited?"  Brian asked.  I could see the mirth building behind the doctor's eyes.  "Mr. Kinney, I don't see that he would have any problems with ummm...physical activities as long as he is very careful about not tiring himself too much."  I quickly intervened,  "Thanks doctor, I think we've got it."  Dr. Shelton gave me a nod and a smile as he left the room.

Brian looked over at me, "You know that I was joking with you right?  We don't have to do anything until you are feeling better."  I had to stop that thinking very quick, "Brian, I know that, but I have been without you for too long."  I looked at him from under my eyelashes, "I want you inside me, I want to feel you moving above me, I want to taste you as you come down my throat."  I reached over and grabbed his hand.  I moved it over my half erect cock.  "I maybe weak in some areas, but not that."  His moan was answer enough.

He looked over at me, "Then home it is, and then to bed."  He extracted his hand from mine and kissed me again.  There was no doubt about it, I was as still drawn to him and him to me, as we always had been.  I couldn't wait to have him inside me again. 

The young orderly brought my wheelchair around.  I looked at it in disgust, but I had been around hospitals enough to know that getting out of here without it was an impossibility.  As I was being wheeled out of that godforsaken hospital, I said a silent thank you to Vic, wherever he might be. 

Brian helped me out of the chair and into the passenger seat of a Mercedes Saloon.  Once I was seat belted in, I looked over at him with a raised eyebrow.  He looked back at me and said "It's a rental.  Although, it has kind of grown on me."  He smiled and put his sunglasses on. 

As Brian put the car into gear, I was filled with an anticipatory excitement.  We were headed back to Britin, only this time I would not be alone.  

 

 

Chapter End Notes: