- Text Size +

Although it had always been Brian's goal to live his life with no regrets, he was very poor at actually accomplishing it. As he drove the half-hour home from Justin's apartment, he had several regrets flying through his head:

I should have left his apartment last night after he admitted he was a virgin... If I didn't care about the bracelet, I would have told him to keep it and wouldn't have had a reason to see him ever again... If I had told Emmett to fuck off instead of talking to him, I wouldn't have known about Justin's coming out story... If I hadn't let Justin's story get to me, I wouldn't have asked him to meet me at the club... If I hadn't seen him dancing with that guy, I wouldn't have fucked him a second time...

Driving across the MacArthur Causeway, Brian asked himself why he regretted fucking Justin. Besides the Peruvian that Lindsay had walked in on, he didn't regret any of his other past tricks, so why was he regretting this one? Justin was beautiful, the sex was amazing, and he was actually beginning to like him, on a personal level.

"Then what's stopping you from coming out and being truthful to your wife? Are you worried about hurting your wife or having your son end up with divorced parents?" he recalled Justin asking him.

Brian then realized that he only regretted fucking the mischievous blonde because the kid had opened up that can of worms. As he sat at a red light, he took his wedding ring out of the glove compartment and considered those questions as he slid it onto his finger. Now that Jack was in the ground and he had succeeded him as the chairman of Kinney Hotels and Resorts, Brian no longer had Jack's threats hanging over him. He and Lindsay were never in love or very happy together, so he doubted that she would be hurt or surprised if he left her.

As far as Gus was concerned, Brian figured that a kid deserved divorced but happy parents over married but unhappy parents. He knew that Jack and Joan had spent almost thirty-five miserable years together after their own parents arranged their marriage, which basically served as a way to unify the two families' fortunes. Brian had always wished that Joan would leave Jack because of his physical and mental abuse, but Joan's devout Catholic values wouldn't allow it.

Brian's worst fear was to end up like Jack and honoring the "'til death do us part" vow he made on his wedding day. So really, what was stopping him from leaving Lindsay and coming out?

January 1991, Debbie's House, Miami Beach

"How the fuck did you let this happen?" Michael asked as he paced the floor of his bedroom.

"I didn't let it happen... it just happened," Brian answered. He then took another hit from the joint he was holding as he reclined on Michael's twin bed. "Unfortunately, condoms fail, and they failed me."

"So I guess you're straight now?" Michael asked in a disgusted tone.

Brian exhaled the smoke and chuckled. "You'll be happy to know that I'm still a big ol' queer."

Michael stopped pacing to stare at his best friend. "Then what were you doing fucking a girl, Brian?"

"I don't know... I didn't mean for it to happen-"

"What, you tripped and landed dick-first in her snatch?" Michael asked as he took the joint from Brian to take a toke himself.

"No... I was stupid... that's the only explanation."

"Well, now your stupidity has awarded you with an appointment with the Justice of the Peace and a kid on the way, so congratulations," Michael stated, smoke puffing out of his mouth as he spoke. "I mean, I've always known you'll fuck anything with a pulse, but I at least thought that you required them to have a dick."

"I did too, Mikey. I surprised even myself."

Michael put the roach in the ashtray on his nightstand as he remembered, "And what about our trip to Puerto Vallarta during Spring Break? We won't be able to go now!"

"Oh yes, we will. The kid's not due until September, and it's not like I'll be Lindsay's prisoner once we're married. We've had this trip planned since before I met her and if she don't want me to go, that's just too fucking bad."

"Jesus... you, married. I sure as hell hope you're getting a pre-nup, cause that shit ain't gonna last."

Brian sat up and said, "Well duh, that was the only way the parents would allow it. Hers wanted to make sure she would get her cut and mine wanted to make sure she didn't take me to the cleaners. We worked it all out with the lawyers this morning: she'll be getting a monthly allowance while we're married, since she's going to quit school after this semester ends to take care of the kid and be a pretty little society wife. When we get divorced, no matter who files, she'll get half the value of any joint property we own, like houses and vehicles, and then she'll get a percentage of my monthly earnings in alimony, based on how many years we stay married. That doesn't even include child support-"

"Shit, it sounds more like a business deal than a marriage."

"That's exactly what it is, Mikey. What, you think that I actually want to marry her or fuck her for the rest of my life? Blech."

Michael sat down on the bed. "You should have told them that you weren't going to marry her and just share custody of the kid."

Brian glared at Michael. "You obviously have no idea how much my inheritance and Kinney Hotels are worth, because you wouldn't be saying that if you did."

"Money isn't that important, Brian. Especially if you have to lie about who you are and be stuck married to a woman that you don't love, only because your parents are forcing you to do it."

Brian chuckled. "Listen, Mikey... are you listening?"

"Yes, I'm listening... I'm high, not deaf."

Brian put his hand on Michael's shoulder. "For all the bullshit that I've had to put up with from my parents, Jack especially, I've earned every fucking penny that I stand to get when that bastard dies. I'll be damned if he leaves it all to Claire and that asshole husband of hers. Besides, they're only forcing us to get married so that the public images of the ‘perfect' Kinney and Peterson families aren't tainted. If people find out that I'm gay and we're having a kid out of wedlock," he faked a gasp and said, "el escándalo!"

Michael shook his head. "I don't agree with it, but you gotta do what you gotta do, I guess."

Brian kissed Michael on the lips and asked, "So, you gonna be my best man when I walk the plank next week?"

Brian looked up and found himself in the driveway at his house. He also noticed that Melanie's white BMW was still parked in the driveway, despite it being almost one in the morning. After parking his Ferrari in the garage, he walked into the living room and found Lindsay and Melanie sitting on the couch watching Runaway Bride. Richard Gere was running down the street after Julia Roberts, who had gotten a ride on a FedEx truck in her wedding dress.

"Hey," Lindsay said when she noticed that Brian had walked in. "We're at the end of a little Julia Roberts marathon; we've already watched Pretty Woman and My Best Friend's Wedding."

"Fun," Brian said sarcastically as he began to walk over to the staircase.

"Oh, Mel and I are going to take Gus up to Boca to visit my parents at their time share tomorrow. We probably won't be back ‘til dark," Lindsay called out.

Brian couldn't help but smile behind their backs. "Okay... have a good time."

********************

"If he hurts you, I swear to Judy I'll kick his ass," Emmett said he and Justin stocked the clothing displays at "All The Rage."

"With the things that man does to me in bed, I don't care if I end up hurt," Justin answered.

Emmett laughed and placed his hand on Justin's cheek. "Oh, my baby's all grown up. I'm so proud." Both men turned when they heard the bell above the door ring. "Speak of the handsome devil," Emmett whispered as Brian walked through the door looking absolutely edible in a white v-neck shirt and dark blue jean shorts.

"Hey," Justin said as he walked over to Brian. "I don't remember telling you the name of Em's store."

"You didn't. I called Debbie; she's better than the yellow pages when it comes to gay business owners," Brian replied as he took off his Gucci sunglasses and hooked them onto his shirt collar.

"Oh. Well, after my nosiness last night, I wasn't sure if you'd want to see me again."

"You didn't ask me anything I haven't been asking myself," Brian said.

"I shouldn't have, though. It's none of my business-"

Brian shut him up with a kiss. "What time do you get off today?" he asked after he pulled away.

Justin slowly opened his eyes. "Uh... since it's Sunday, we close up at five."

"Could you ask the boss if you could leave a little earlier?"

"What for?" asked Emmett, who had been shamelessly eavesdropping a few feet away.

Brian turned around and told him, "I was wanting to see if Justin would like to join me today on one of my yachts."

Emmett's eyes widened. "One of your yachts? As in, you have more than one?"

"Yep. This one sleeps six and has a Jacuzzi."

"Shit, if he doesn't, I will." He looked at Justin and said, "You can go ahead now, Sweetie."

"What about the store?" Justin asked Emmett, barely able to contain his excitement. "It's just you and me here today, and it's only noon."

"You know we're never very busy on Sundays and that I'd be more than happy to tase anyone who thinks they're gonna rob me," Emmett said as he pushed both Justin and Brian towards the door. "You kids have a great time."

"I'll have Cinderella home before midnight," Brian said as he held the door open for Justin, who was smiling ear-to-ear.

********************

"Here we are," Brian said as he indicated a sixty foot power-yacht on the right side of the dock, which had Renegade printed on the stern.

"Wow... this is really nice," Justin said as Brian stepped onto the boat.

"Well, since it's just the two of us, I thought we'd take the smaller one out," Brian said as he extended his hand to help Justin onto the boat.

Once Justin had come aboard, he asked, "This is the ‘smaller one'?"

"Yeah." He pointed to a larger boat at the end of the dock and said, "See that one over there? It's a ninety-two footer and sleeps ten. The Old Man bought it mostly to impress his golfing buddies; he named it The King. I bought this one as a twenty-fifth birthday present for myself."

As they stepped into the wheelhouse, Justin asked, "Uh... how many boats do you own?"

"Hmm," Brian said as he began counting on his fingers. "Let's see, there's this one, the Old Man's yacht over there, the cruiser docked at my house, my sport-fishing boat in Key West, the Old Man's sailboat in Key West, the sailboat in Palm Beach... oh, and the Old Man's cruiser in St. Pete. So, I now have seven."

"Holy shit," Justin said as Brian sat down in the captain's chair and fired up the engine.

"The Old Man got me into boating when I was a kid; he taught me how to sail and operate a boat before I knew how to drive a car. My mom and sister never really liked boating, so he left his boats to me. I'll probably sell them though, because I doubt I'll ever use them."

"My dad has a cruiser, but he never let me drive it." Justin sat in the passenger chair and looked out at the water as he timidly asked, "So... what it is that you do? I mean, it's now pretty obvious that you're loaded."

Brian smiled as he tinkered with the navigation system. "Ah, the elephant in the room... I own Kinney Hotels and Resorts. We currently have fifty-six properties all around south Florida and the Keys, including two in The Bahamas and three in Mexico. Now that I'm running things, I plan on expanding along the Gulf and the east coast."

"Oh... uh, cool."

Brian chuckled at Justin's poor attempt at being blasé about his fortune. "Yeah... Anyway, I have to do a few things up here before we leave, so go ahead down below and check it out," Brian said. "There's food and drinks in the fridge, if you'd like something."

"Aye aye, Cap'n," Justin said, giving him a mock salute as he turned to go down the steep staircase into the parlor. He stared in awe at the white leather furniture and made his way into the galley, which had granite countertops, mahogany cabinets, and black appliances. Beside the galley was a dining area, where six people could comfortably eat at. He then opened the refrigerator, which was stocked with a small sandwich and veggie platter, a case of bottled water, a twelve pack of Diet Coke, and a bottle of Pinot Noir.

Justin took a bottle of water and continued on to the back of the boat, where he found a small stateroom with a full-sized bed, another with two bunks, a bathroom, and the master suite, which had a queen-sized bed and its own bathroom. As Brian had promised, it included a Jacuzzi tub, along with a standup shower.

"Shit, this is nicer than our apartment," Justin said to himself. He returned up to the wheelhouse just as Brian was preparing to pull out of the slip.

"So where will we go on our voyage today, Cap'n?" Justin asked as he sat back in the passenger's chair.

"We're just gonna go out into the bay and find an empty spot to drop the anchor." Brian looked at Justin and added, "Then we'll go down below and rock the boat."