- Text Size +

CHAPTER 32: NO EASY WAY OUT

I see all the angry faces/ Afraid that could be you and me/ Talkin about what might have been/

I'm thinkin about what I used to be/ Baby, baby we can shed this skin/ We can know how we feel inside/ Instead of goin' down and endless road/ Not knowin if we're dead or alive/ Some things are worth fightin for/ Some feelings never die/ I'm not askin for another chance/ I just want to know why

There's no easy way out there's no shortcut home/ There's no easy way out givin in givin in can't be wrong

*Robert Tepper

 

KIKI

 

I wish like hell that she had taken off today! I know that Carl had originally meant to take her away today, but with the drama that unfolded last night, there was no way he could do it. Sadly, that also means that she isn’t privy to all that went down as of yet. Well, as much as I would like to not have to tell her about her offensive offspring calling from jail, I also don’t want her to be blindsided by the gossip that is sure to reach her ears. I honestly can’t say how much sympathy she will get. NOBODY likes Michael, even if they do love his mother… well, most of the time.

 

“Morning Kiki, how’s it been today?”

 

“Nothing has happened that I can’t handle. But I need to speak with you, in private, about a matter of dire importance. Just let me get Francine and Terry to cover for us, okay? Lou, I’m going on break and Deb is here but…”

 

“Yeah, Kiks. Say no more, just make it snappy. And Deb, uh… yeah, if you need to take today off, I’ll understand although I won’t like what it will mean.”

 

“Why would I need to take today off?” Deb asks, puzzled frown marring her forehead.

 

“Way to be subtle, Lou! I’ll handle it from here.” I lead Deb back to the break room, nabbing two coffees on the way. It’s times like this that I’m glad I still keep a spare pack of cigarettes in my locker, even though I’ve been trying to quit. Unfortunately, thanks to that imbecilic ingrate, I’m about to break my eighteenth day smoke-free. I light up, wishing I had something stronger than a Marlboro.

 

“I doubt you brought me back here to share a smoke Kiki, so what’s up?”

 

I could see that her patience was already wearing thin, as her curiosity was getting the better of her. She was always like that though. Bracing myself to deliver the news, I decided to just go with the unadulterated truth as I know it, since I was there. “Deb, your boy has gotten himself into some real shit this time.”

 

“I know, but I’m still hoping that Justin will drop the charges.”

 

“No, Deb, he isn’t going to. I know for a fact that there is much more to all of this than what has been told to you.” When she goes to interrupt, I hold up my hand to forestall her before taking her hand into mine. “Deb, how long have we been friends?”

 

“About twelve years now, since you first arrived on the Avenue. I remember that day as clear as yesterday when you walked in here on the heels of Emmett. You two were probably the most flamboyant men I had ever seen that weren’t dressed in drag.”

 

I chuckle at the memory for a moment. But I know I have to get this over with. “And have I ever lied to you or not looked after your best interests?”

 

“I can honestly say that you haven’t. You’re one of the few people I trust without reservations.”

 

“Glad to know that, Darling, because what I am about to tell you is going to hurt like fuck.” I sigh deeply before continuing. “Michael used Justin’s money to pay Ethan to split Brian and Justin up. Not only that but he… he made a move to hit Justin and met with the business end of Justin’s fists- three times in quick succession. According to my sources, Ethan has given his testimony in the hopes of getting a plea deal for less time in the slammer. Word on the street is that your boy and ‘Loose-labia’ Lindsay as she’s currently being called, have been playing fast and loose in a bid to get Justin out of Brian’s life for the past two years.”

 

“What does that mean, exactly?” God, she would have to ask that specific question, wouldn’t she?!

 

“The loft burglary, the attack on Justin, the break-up of Brian and Justin, and more recently, the vandalism of Justin’s car, can all be laid at Michael and Lindsay’s feet. And now there is talk of them being charged with breaking and entering Brian’s loft.”

 

“That’s ridiculous! Michael would never do something like that! I mean sure, I know about him withholding Justin’s money, but he swore he was going to give that back. As for the supposed breaking in of Brian’s loft, how can that be when they both had keys?”

 

“Unless that key was used for its intended purpose, which I know for a fact would have to be a bonafide emergency, which would have Brian incapacitated in some way, shape, or form, which he wasn't, then it is in fact, breaking and entering. Each and every time they barged into the loft, uninvited and using their keys, Brian could have- and in my opinion should have- pressed charges against the two of them. It’s the reason why he had the locks changed a few months ago.”

 

“How do you know so much about Brian changing the locks?”

 

“I recently moved, remember? I’ve been living on Tremont for the last four months. Brian’s loft is on the fourth floor while mine is on the second, but the rules are the same in reference to emergency keys, and that is written in the lease.”

 

I can tell that I shocked her with my admission. When Jose and I split up, I hadn’t told anyone, especially Deb, where I moved to so that it wouldn’t get back to him. It’s not that I didn’t trust her; it’s that I know she’s a sucker for romance and has a bleeding heart. Jose would have charmed her like he tried to charm me, and she would have given in, thinking she was saving the great American love story- Gay love style. I couldn’t bring myself to tell her that while Jose would tell his wife he was away on business, he was really in town and living with me.

 

Each of us were technically ‘the other woman’. In fact, we didn’t know it until she busted him while we were out shopping. Lucille, which is the wife’s name, wasn’t angry at me, which was a miracle. Strangely, she is one of the few hetero females that I actually like; Deb being one, and Daphne being the second. Instead, she has kicked Jose out and filed for divorce.

 

Because of her prenup, he lost his job with her company, as well as the chance for alimony. Neither of us knows where he is, and honestly, we don’t care. But I still don’t want him to be able to show up at my door, at will. However, back to the matter at hand… “Deb, I know you don’t want to hear this, but Michael is going to jail.”

 

“No! No, he isn’t! Brian and Justin owe me!”

 

“So basically, you’re going to conveniently forget that he stole from both of them; that he lied and cheated and almost MURDERED his way into Brian’s life, simply because he is your son and you helped them when they needed it?” I can’t even believe that this is the same woman I have known for all these years!

 

“You don’t understand, Kiki. He’s my son! I can’t… I… I have to go and talk to Brian. He has to get Justin to drop this shit!”

 

“It won’t work, Deb.”

 

“Yes it will! It has to!” And with that she ran out the backdoor. All I could do was pray, for her sake, that she will at last, accept the truth about her precious Michael. If ever there was a child like Damien in the ‘Omen’, that little bad seed is it!    

 

ANNETTE

 

I’m sitting here, trying so damn hard not to snicker at the man in front of me.

 

“Annette, what’s the real deal with this guy? You’ve never warned me off taking a case before. So what is it that you aren’t telling me?”

 

The thing is that most offenders of the law do not realize is that no matter what side of the law we represent, we all know each other and most of us are friends. Case in point, I’ve known Galviston Edwards since freshman year as a Penn State undergrad. In a lot of ways he became my big brother, beginning as my student advisor. He helped me get a part-time job, so that unlike many college students, I wouldn’t have to go to the selfish people whose DNA said they were my parents. It was no secret how they felt about me before attending the college of my choice.

 

They made their apathy abundantly clear when they dropped me off; told the financial aid officer of the school that I was on my own for anything my scholarships didn’t cover. That kind of disregard is why I can identify with Justin Taylor in so many ways. People always think that the WASP nest is full of people who never had to fight for the right to live their lives according to their own edicts. And they’re right, to a degree. That is unless you decide to march to a drum in the opposite direction of how they have planned out your life.

 

And when I did, Galviston was there for me every step of the way. He helped me, and guided me to become the woman I am today. If ever there was the perfect GBF for a girl to have, Gal was mine and still is.  

 

“There’s a lot that as his defense attorney, I can’t tell you, even if you are doing it pro bono as a public defender. Suffice it to say, don’t be fooled by the innocent look of your client. Although he may not be as viperous as his cohort, Lindsay Peterson, he’s just as detrimental.”

 

“WOW! A snake reference? Seriously?”

 

“As two heart attacks back-to-back. The Peterson chit has the backing of the nest behind her, at least for now, although that is fast changing. But his entitlement issues come from fuck-knows-what or where. And like a boa constrictor, even though it’s non-poisonous, he’ll squeeze the life out of you. Just talking to him is going to be exhausting, since he only hears what he wants to hear. And whereas I know that everyone has a right to a defense…”

 

“A constitutional right.”

 

“True, but you are about to offer to defend the indefensible. So here is what I am prepared to do… to save your sanity, of course.” I smile at him as he snickers. “The victim in this case has offered a plea bargain in exchange for Novotny’s testimony against his co-conspirator, Lindsay Peterson. He also wants the exclusive rights to the Rage franchise, the store known as Red Cape Comics and its contents, and the return of the house Novotny recently acquired from his mother.”

 

“He wants a house from the man’s dead mother? That’s kind of heartless, don’t you think?”

 

“Oh no, you misunderstand, Gal. Michael Novotny’s mother is very much alive. She signed the house over to him, because he was basically homeless due to his crimes- all of them- becoming known to her and his spouse. He expected her to forego her mortgage payments so that she can pay Justin Taylor back in his stead. Nevermind that Novotny expected her to do that after stealing over one-hundred thousand dollars from Justin over a period of three years. You are familiar with the franchise, aren’t you?”

 

“Hell yeah, I am! Since the first issue, it’s been the fastest growing franchise in comic history. Though I suspect it’s more popular because of the artwork rather than for the actual dialogue. Some of it was a bit too Marvel-esque to be fully appreciated.”

 

I snickered, knowing that I thought the same thing. “Well, you are about to meet the ‘writer’ of that dialogue. I will warn you though, there is a mountain of evidence against him. No matter if he accepts the plea deal or not, he is going to do jail time. How much time though, is solely dependent on him.”

 

“It’s that bad? It’s actually open and shut as far as my client is concerned?”

 

“Yeah, it is. Lindsay Peterson is a smart, very cunning, bitch. She made the suggestions and worked behind the scenes, so that when and if the shit hit the fan, her hands would be clean, so to speak. What she didn’t count on was that the other man in this equation, was more than willing to tell us what he knew of this entire mess. It didn’t just start from the creation of Rage. These attacks on Justin Taylor have been going on since the night he met Brian Kinney.”

 

“Oh my God…”

 

“What is it?” I raise an eyebrow at him.

 

“Remember that night some time back when I went to the Baths with Tom?”

 

“Yeah, still can’t believe you took the good Reverend to get his ass plugged.”

 

He snickered. “Well, due to his calling, that had to be on the downlow. And fortunately most of the time, whatever happens in the Baths is either forgotten the next day, or never spoken of again. Anyway, while Tom was being serviced by Brian Kinney…”

 

I look closely at him. After a few moments of my intense scrutiny, I see the tell-tale blush that creeps up his handsome face. “You fucked Justin.”

 

“Actually, it was the other way around.”

 

“I thought you were a top.”

 

“I am, but not when it comes to Justin Taylor. He and Brian have this rule, where no one gets into either of their asses except the other.”

 

“Well that explains why Gold cheated on Justin Taylor.”

 

“Yep. I’d imagine he would have been incredibly bitter about that, since Justin and Brian’s break-up was rather public, and left without a hope of a reconciliation.”

 

“Got news for you, buddy boy. They’ve reconciled. Although they are keeping it pretty quiet, because I understand that part of the reason they broke up in the first place was because of too many chefs in their kitchen to stir up trouble. The lead instigators as you can imagine are Lindsay Peterson and…”

 

He sighs and rolls his eyes. “Michael Novotny, the un-best best friend. I got your point. Well I guess I’d better go hear what the doofus has to say. Should I present your offer to him, and lay out the possibilities if he doesn’t accept the terms?”

 

I thought about it for a moment. It would definitely be easier to let Gal handle it. But, you see, there’s this vindictive bitch inside of me that craves to see his face, when I lay out the terms and punishments to him. “No. I’ll do that myself in a little while. I’m just waiting on a few documents that will really show him how airtight this case is against him. However, you can tell him that you have come to see me, and that there is a plea deal on the table. I want to see his reaction when he finds out just how fast Lindsay threw him under the proverbial bus.”


CLARENCE

 

I just got off the phone with Lynette and her new friend, Claire. I have to admit that I’m glad Lyn is my friend, because the shit she thinks up is just… yeah! I chuckle as I think of the little surprise for Lindsay she’s set up for after lunch. I must admit that it’s really diabolical, and will be well worth the price of admission to see the shock on the Devil-bitch’s face. Ahh… here she comes now.

 

“Sorry I’m late, Clarence. I lost track of time.”

 

“No problem. I imagine that it was something important you were doing that caused you to run late.”

 

“My mother had bought me some ill-fitting clothes, and I wanted to take them back to exchange them for the right size. The line was just long, is all. I’m really sorry since I know you have another meeting after lunch. Have you ordered yet?”

 

“Yes, I took the liberty of ordering for us already, as you’re right, I do have another meeting. But enough about that, tell me how everything else is going? Did you ever get back in touch with your friend? I would imagine that he has been able to post bail by now.” I almost laughed at the color of green she turned at the reference to the unfortunate Michael Novotny.

 

“Not yet, but I will soon, I imagine. I still can’t believe that you know Brian and Justin.”

 

“Yes, and more upstanding businessmen I’ll probably never meet.”

 

“Ha! The only business Justin knows how to conduct is on his knees or his back.”

 

“Careful, Lindsay. The same could be said about you,” I drawled, loving the fact that she froze while lifting the glass to her lying lips. “But in any event, I can honestly say that Justin’s graphics business is thriving full-tilt. I’ll be surprised if Kinnetik Enterprises and JT Designs don’t come up with a very lucrative partnership deal, sooner rather than later. Did you know that Justin redid the Eyeconics campaign?”

 

“You must be mistaken, Clarence. I know for a fact that it was Brian’s account when he was with the Vanguard Agency.” Her smugness is irritating at best.

 

Was, Lindsay. It was, as in past tense. I’m shocked your baldheaded buddy didn’t tell you. I thought you and Gardner were much closer than that.” I hear the near choked gasp that escapes, and am so hard-pressed not to laugh.

 

“I have been meaning to reach out to him, thanks for the reminder. He said that he had a potential job for me in his art department.”

 

“Well hopefully, you will get the position, so that you can stop living off of your parents all the sooner. I’m not really interested in taking care of a grown woman.”

 

“So, would it be different if I was a grown man, then?” She titters, but I can hear the falseness in the sound.

 

“No dear, that’s where Paul and I work wonderfully. He has his own businesses, in addition to the one we share together. I like it when my lovers make their own money. It’s not that I wouldn’t lend support financially, if needed. But them having their own finances gives an equality to the relationship, which makes it more honest. Don’t you agree?” Yeah, she didn’t agree with that sentiment and that’s crux of the problem, isn’t it?

 

“Oh, I don’t know. I guess I’m a bit old fashioned in my views. Melanie and I worked for a time because I was willing to follow her lead, and let her be the primary support for our household. Of course, Brian helped out by supporting Gus but…”

 

No, she isn't getting away with that thought! “You thought it your right to sit around on your ass all day when you weren’t taking care of Gus, is that it? Because you don’t strike me as much of housekeeper, if the destruction of your room I heard about this morning is anything to go by. In fact, it made me question your readiness for any adult relationship at all. If it were my house that you pulled that stunt in, I can assure you that you would have no place to sleep tonight. Ronald and Nancy are much more patient than I am in that regard, but I suppose they have to be. You’re their cross to bear, I suppose.”

 

“What is that supposed to mean, Clarence? I am not a child!”

 

“Quite simply dear, then you should stop acting like one. Instances, like last night’s fiasco and this morning’s temper tantrum will not be tolerated, if you’re planning on being with me.”

 

“Well then maybe it’s time we rethink this whole arrangement, then. I won’t be dictated to, by you or anyone else!” She gets up from the table just as the food arrives.

 

I sit there chuckling at what is about to happen. Fortunately, the table is next to the side door, making it easy for me to meet her in the parking lot, without me looking as if I’m following her. But that’s not exactly my plan. So I ask the waiter to wrap up both dishes and have them waiting for me upon my return, then head out to the corner of the lot where Lindsay is parked. Upon her reaching the car, I hear her blood-curdling scream.

 

The attendants in the valet parking area are looking at her strangely, while I’m trying my best to suppress the loud guffaw threatening to bubble up. All of the windows have been busted out. And apparently, the clothes from Lindsay's shopping spree were taken, except for a few select pieces of stringy underwear, which have been arranged to spell out the word ‘WHORE!’ on the car's hood.

 

I almost pee myself, watching her throw yet another tantrum. Only this time it's in the middle of the upper echelons of Society, with notables like Regina Davis-Moore, who is one of the leading dames. Also present are George Schickle and his fiance Malcolm, and my absolute favorite, the ex-wife of Gardner Vance, Tracy Buress, who is marching over towards Lindsay right now. Whatever brief conversation there may have been was instantly cut short by the loud crack of Tracy’s hand across Lindsay’s face, the word ‘guttersnipe’ leaving her lips as she stepped over the momentarily supine form. It was truly gratifying to see Lindsay sitting in her red pantsuit surrounded by broken glass, reminding me of the tattered shards her life has already become.

 

All in all, it has been a great day. Phase I of the WASP Shutout is complete. I head back in to collect my meal. Then wink at Regina, who smiles and waves as I walk out the door into my waiting limo. Yeah, today is indeed a good day for all… except Lindsay Peterson.

 

MEL

 

The ringing of my doorbell marks the arrival of a hurricane. Actually, more like a screaming, whirling tornado by the name of Deb. Ben, Emmett, and Ted are on their way here, so that we can discuss these latest developments. I certainly hope that whatever it is she has to say, will be quick. But with Daphne, Taryn, Jennifer, and Molly in the other room, I can’t say that it may be painless as well.

 

“WHERE THE FUCK ARE THEY?! I'VE BEEN TO THE LOFT AND THEY'RE NOT THERE!” Deb yells, by way of greeting.

 

I sigh for what’s probably the eight-hundredth time today, and it’s barely past noon. “They aren’t here either, Deb. And with the morning they’ve had, it’s probably best if you just leave them alone. Let them process this for awhile.”

 

“Fuck their processing! Michael is in jail and they owe me to get him out! Fucking Brian, this is all his fault!”

 

“How do you figure that?” I’m in shock, but still morbidly curious to hear her reasoning. “Michael is supposed to be an adult. How is it Brian’s fault that he didn’t act like one?”

 

“Don’t you open a mouth to me, Melanie Marcus! Brian led Michael around by the nose for years; always giving him these little tidbits and hopes of affection, and then yanking him around like some fucking yo-yo! And don’t even get me started on the whole Justin situation!”

 

“Yes, let’s get started on the situation regarding my son, shall we Deb?”

 

Oh fucking hell! God, take me now!

 

I turn to look at Jennifer, whom I have never seen turn that particular shade of red before. Although she is outwardly calm, the rigidity of her shoulders tells me just how close she is to pouncing. I try to guide Deb to the door to avoid the inevitable bloodshed, but she brushes me off in her quest to prove her point.

 

“If Justin had just let this go, my Michael wouldn’t be languishing away in a jail cell! Brian and Justin could afford to let Michael have the money, but nooooo... They just have to be fucking selfish! Now not only has Justin threatened to take Michael’s dream away from him, he’s threatened to take his livelihood, too!”

 

“Correct me if I’m wrong, but if someone had done the things to your Michael that your idiot ingrate of an offspring has done to my son, you would ride hellbent for leather and roughshod over anyone to get your boy justice.”

 

“You’re damn fucking right, I would! My Michael wouldn’t have done anything to deserve it!”

 

“And you’re saying that Justin has?! What pray-tell has he done that is so bad, other than fall in love with the human toy your son wanted to play with? What did he do to warrant your bastard boy going to his high school and paying the jocks, Chris Hobbs among them, to tease and torment Justin religiously? What the fuck did he do that was so fucking wrong that the manchild and the she-wolf he calls his friend, decided to make Brian and Justin miserable by fomenting their breakup and the ongoing embezzlement of Rage, a comic that Justin worked on much MORE than the imbecile, who couldn’t come up with original dialogue if it bit him on his marble-sized balls?!

 

"Do you know what it took for Justin to draw those fucking panels? NO! YOU DO NOT! Do you know how many hours he had to work with his therapist after each issue was done? NO! YOU DO NOT! Do you know how many times Brian had to massage the cramps out of Justin’s hand all because your UNGRATEFUL FUCK OF WASTED SPERM demanded, that on top of working at the damn Diner and school, that Justin keep drawing every fucking minute that he had free time?!”

 

“Jen, this doesn’t…” Deb began, but Jennifer was having none of it.

 

“SHUT UP AND LET ME FINISH! And I swear before God that if you were about to tell me that this doesn’t concern me, when you’re standing here denigrating MY SON for standing up for himself and holding that swiss cheese for brain ASSHOLE responsible for his own actions FOR ONCE, they will have to make room in a jail cell next to Michael for ME!”

 

Okay, I know I have to break up this floor show before Jen acts. Pity though! I think Jen would certainly take Debbie, even if she would be fighting a heavyweight. You don’t mess with a mother as pissed off as Jen is today… and Debbie thinks she has problems?

 

I turn to look at Justin's stalwart sentinel; a true best friend in every sense of the term. Her narrowed eyes are taking in everything, even while fury is pouring off of her in waves. I sigh. “Daphne, I know you’re aching to take your pound of flesh out of Deb’s hide, but can you please take the ladies into the kitchen to wait for Ted, Em, and Ben? Cooler heads have to prevail now; this is difficult for all of us.” 

 

“But not as difficult as it is for Justin and Brian! I’ll do what you ask, Mel, since I don’t believe in wasting my words. Come on, y’all.” And with that, Daphne left Deb and I in the foyer of my home, which has become Battleground Central.

 

“What the fuck does Jen mean talking to me like that?!” Deb screeched. “After all I did for her and her son…”

 

“Do you even hear yourself, Debbie? Do you?! You’re asking them to not only forget that Michael stole from them, but that he paid the guy who tried to kill Justin. You know what, get the fuck out of my house! There’s no question that you love Michael, but with the rest of us, it’s obvious that you ONLY love us and stand up for us when it benefits that spoiled ass brat you raised!”

 

“Melanie…”

 

“GET THE FUCK OUT NOW!!!” I opened the door and it took everything in me not to physically remove her.

 

If you were to ask me at this moment, I would say that Deb belonged in the cell with her son. The way he acts, and the fact that she never told him ‘no’ is what caused this. In trying to overcompensate for her personal fuck-ups, she created a monster. She should have to deal with that! I slammed the door behind her as she exited, after she looked daggers at me.

 

And as I stood there, pressed forehead first against the closed door and thinking about all that has happened, I cried, realizing that all of us just lost our mother.  




EMMETT

 

We arrived at the house just as Debbie was heading, or should I say marching, down the street. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know that whatever has been done, or said, has pissed her off. One could almost see the smoke coming off of her bright red wig. Ted and Ben have also noticed. And while none of us make a move or say a word to stop her progress, Ted looks incredibly annoyed while Ben looks sad. We all know that something final is about to happen… if it hasn’t already.

 

Ben is the first one to vault up the stairs leading to Melanie’s. Ted and I follow a little more sedately, but we’re in just as much of a hurry to get inside. What greets us when Melanie lets us in is even more heartbreaking that I would have imagined. She’s in tears- which is something I have rarely ever seen Mel be in- but she is also furious, like I’ve never seen her before. As Ben and Ted flank the clearly distraught woman, I head into the kitchen to put on some coffee.

 

The scene in there isn’t any better. “What’s happened? We saw Debbie leaving. Jennifer?” I ask.

 

“She’s gone?! Good, because if she had stayed I would have killed the bitch! The abject NERVE of her to blame Justin for Michael’s wrongdoings; Brian too! I swear, she would wipe Michael’s ass if she could get away with it!”

 

I choke back a laugh, thinking of the many times I’ve thought the same thing over the years. But even I realize that now’s not the time to voice that opinion aloud. “Jennifer, Sweetie, you have to calm down. Now I know that with two percent more estrogen in my DNA, I may have suffered from the high emotions that women tend to have. But you are usually much more cool and calm than I am, or any man I know, other than Brian. Now calmly tell Auntie Em what happened that’s got you near Neanderthal mode.”

 

By the time she’s finished recapping all that we have missed, I completely understand why Mel was in tears when we arrived. Ben and Ted know it too, and suddenly, I’m angrier than I have ever been in my life! I feel like we’ve all been lied to and betrayed. Lindsay and Michael’s betrayal hurts of course, but in the end, it was also expected. However, Deb’s betrayal is like losing our parents’ love all over again!

 

“How can she just expect everyone to forgive Michael and forget what he’s done?! What kind of woman- what kind of mother- would expect that of another person when her child is clearly wrong?!”

 

Ben sighs. “It’s called being willfully blind. And I guess we’re all guilty of that where Michael is concerned, in one form or another. We were blind where Lindsay was concerned, too. They present this image of what decent, loving people look like, so that we would never expect the rotten core underneath the facade. For me, it was Michael’s perceived innocence and his almost childlike view of the world that attracted me to him. I had never met someone with such a naivete that it was almost a compulsion to be with him, to protect him, to give him everything he wanted, so that he would never have to see the crappy side of life.”

 

“It was like that with Lindsay, too, in a way. She has this caring and earth-mother persona that leads a person to think that she loves you so much; that she wants nothing more than to nurture you, and protect you from the bad side of life. Little did I know that underneath that serene exterior lived a succubus. What makes it so fucking bad is that if I didn’t see her perfidy with my own eyes, I would never have believed it.”

 

“Same here in regards to Michael. If someone had told me that at the base of all this turmoil and strife laid Michael Novotny, I would have called them a liar. But here we all are, caught in the aftermath of their machinations. Even more upsetting is that by the time everything is resolved, there will be two more lives innocently affected by them. How are you feeling Taryn?” Ben asks the mother-to-be, sitting quietly and absorbing all she’s learning.

 

“I’m not sure how I feel at the moment. Sad, angry, and confused come to mind instantly. But I'm also happy that at the end of it all, the men I met this morning will have a life free of Michael and Lindsay. The children I carry undoubtedly will have the DNA of at least one of them, but whomever the father is, Brian and Justin have the chance to negate the damage Michael and Lindsay would have done to these precious children by just knowing them. However, I do understand how Michael and Lindsay have gotten away with all they’ve done for so long and I have to say, it’s not up to you all to blame yourselves for only seeing what you wanted to see.  If you think about it, each of our parents were the same way. They loved us as long as we were doing what they wanted, how they wanted, and when they wanted. But as soon as we stepped out of their box- or prison, depending on how you look at it- that they set up for us, they showed their true colors by either kicking us out, disowning us, or ignoring us until it suits them. Michael, Lindsay, and apparently, Debbie are no different.”

 

“You know Taryn, looking at the situation like that, I don’t feel so bad anymore. True, I will miss the ‘Deb’ I thought I knew, and yeah, she may apologize and realize the error of her ways when all of this is made public. But I will never trust her again, which is sad really,” Ted tells her.

 

“I think I can safely say that we all feel the same way. But despite that, the one who this is going to affect the most is Brian. He’s known and depended on her for so long, regardless of whether he thinks so or not. His shared history with the Novotnys was one born of turmoil and strife. It’s going to hurt him to find out that Debbie is just as abusive as Joan, if not worse,” Mel says.

 

“How do you figure that?” Daphne asks her, but I understand what Mel just conveyed.

 

“The scars that you can’t see hurt worse than the ones you can, Honey. Joan’s apathy may have cut Brian, but Deb’s conditional love will destroy everything he’s come to believe of himself.”

 

“That he’s a selfish prick that doesn’t care about anyone or anything? I can’t see how he will feel sorry to lose that particular opinion of himself,” Jen states, emphatically.

 

“No Jen, it’s the other things that Deb had poured into him when he was feeling low. The fact that he’s capable and worthy of love; that he’s unstoppable in every way that matters; that he’s strong. It’s sad that the only person he had to really build him up in those moments when Brian thought he was better off dead, is the same one with the ability to make him wish he really was.” I sigh deeply. “We have to call Brian to let him know exactly what is headed his way.”

 

“More than that though… You have to tell him to keep a tight rein on Justin. He’s not going to simply roll over while Deb belittles him and berates Brian. My son is simply not in the mood to be passive.”

 

“Call Vic,” Ben suggests. “He may be the only one able to control Deb and keep the pitbull Justin is when he’s angry, on a short leash.”

 

Mel picks up her phone and dials Vic. After a short explanation of what happened this morning, beginning about the meeting with the DA, she hangs up. “He’s on his way… and he is none too happy.”

 

GALVISTON

 

I sit here rubbing my temples to the point that it's a miracle they are still attached to the sides of my head. The migraine I didn't have upon entering this room, is now literally pumping through every part of my brain. I have been in here for the last hour, trying my best to reason with the most recalcitrant defendant of my acquaintance, suddenly understanding just why Annette warned me. Michael Novotny is probably the most imbecilic man on the planet. Not only that, but he has an excuse for everything!

 

“Mr. Novotny, I can’t help you if you are not honest with me. And an excuse is nothing but a dressed up lie; so if I were you, I would start being honest. Judges don’t like liars, nor people unwilling to take accountability for their actions,” I tell him, hoping against hope that I am finally getting through to him.

 

“But I’m not lying! I’m giving reasons for what I did.”

 

“Fine, what were your reasons, then?”

 

“To save my best friend from the evil clutches of the blond whore!”

 

“For the millionth time, Brian Kinney did NOT need saving as you put it. According to everyone I’ve spoken with prior to meeting you, he and Mr. Taylor were in a relationship…”

 

“Brian doesn’t do relationships!”

 

“He’s been involved with Justin Taylor, in one form or another for almost three years!”

 

“No, he hasn’t! Justin Taylor is just the trick that would not leave Brian alone. He stalked him, connived, and made our lives a living hell! I wish…”

 

The mutinous look on his face is telling me that it’s something I don’t want to hear, but need to hear nonetheless. “What is it that you wish, Mr. Novotny.”

 

I watch him swallow hard, and take a deep breath before responding. “Other than the fact that I wish I was out of here?”

 

“Yes, and don’t do that!”

 

“Do what?”

 

“Don’t try to use diversionary tactics on me. I’m a defense attorney, so I’ve seen them all. And so have the judges, so keep that in mind. Now what were you going to say, and please, the truth this time. Again, I can’t help you if you are not honest with me.”

 

“For the last time, I AM BEING HONEST! And here’s a bit more fucking honesty for you, I wish that Justin Taylor was fucking DEAD!! Everything would have been fine if Hobbs had done what he was fucking paid to do!” He suddenly freezes, and I know that he didn’t mean to say as much as he did.

 

“What was Hobbs paid to do, and how does that involve you?”

 

“Look, she said that she paid him to burgle the loft and to make Boy Wonder’s life worthless. I didn’t realize that she also fucked him to…”

 

“To...? And who is this she we are talking about? Is it a woman by the name of Lindsay Peterson?” At his gasp, I know I’m right. “Well Novotny, you need to tell me everything this Lindsay Peterson has involved you in. But first, I’m going to advise you to give Mr. Taylor the Rage franchise, the store and its contents, and the house formerly belonging to your mother. It will go a long way in lessening the embezzlement charges against you.”

 

“What?! No fucking way!”

 

“Please be reasonable, Mr. Novotny. You’re already facing several counts of conspiracy; including burglary, vandalism, attempted assault, attempted murder, bribery, and a host of other charges. The embezzlement charge alone, which I’m pretty sure you will be convicted of, carries a jail sentence of up to fifteen years in Federal prison. And you will still have to pay restitution to Mr. Taylor anyway. So why not do it sooner rather than later?”

 

“Because…” he begins and folds his arms. What are we? Three? His pouting mouth makes my fist itch! “Because, it’s about the principle, Mr. Edwards.”

 

“And what pray-tell is the principle here, Mr. Novotny? From where I sit, you violated the contract between you and Mr. Taylor knowingly and with malicious intent. You can’t plead ignorance in any of this, as the terms of the contract were quite clear. Even the fine print was spelled out in terms a five year old could understand. You did read the contract and have an outside attorney look at it, right?”

 

He furrows his brow. “No and no. The attorney who drew it up was a mutual friend, so I didn’t see the need to check behind the bitch.”

 

“Why is she a bitch now, but she wasn’t back then?”

 

“Because of what she’s doing to Lindsay and me. Melanie has taken Boy Wonder’s side in everything! She even kicked Lindsay out of the house, so that she had to go back and live with her parents. And all because Justin fucking Taylor had been paying Melanie a retainer fee that Lindsay and I didn’t know about. We should have been told!”

 

“Where he spends his money…”

 

“Brian’s money!”

 

Whoever’s money! But ahhh… I see what the real issue has been and still is, Mr. Novotny. This isn’t about some principle as you would have everyone believe; this is about jealousy, plain and simple. The fact Brian chose another man over you, his alleged best friend…”

 

“I AM his best friend!”

 

“No, you aren’t, and you never have been. You’ve been his enslaver, but never his friend. Anyway, I’d like to know where Ethan Gold fits into all of this.”

 

“That cunty chin-rat chimpanzee? If it wasn’t for him…”

 

“Again, Mr. Novotny, you have to take responsibility for your part in all of this. Now whose idea was it for you to hire Ethan Gold?”

 

“Lindsay’s.”

 

“And how was he paid?”

 

“By check, how else?”

 

I sigh again. How dense can this idiot be? “Not what method was he paid in, but from whose account?!”

 

“Oh, alright. No need to shout at me, Mr. Edwards. I’m under a lot of strain here and so I can’t think clearly.” At any fucking time, I think, but let him go on without interrupting. “Anyway, I paid him from my account.”

 

“Why didn’t Lindsay pay him from hers?”

 

“Mel kept a tight rein on the money for their household. And Brian limited all of Lindsay’s access to Gus’ support account, so she didn’t have her own money. She promised to pay me back once everything was worked out.”

 

“And how was she planning to do that?”

 

“Well, we figured that with Justin permanently out of the picture, his influence over Brian would no longer be a factor. In fact, that’s why we hired Ethan. Both of us felt that Justin needed to be with someone his own age and leave Brian alone.”

 

“So this whole mess was altruism on your part?”

 

“Altrujism… what is that? It sounds like a bad batch of cum or something.” He chuckles, but I am soooo not amused.

 

“This was some attempt to do what you thought was best for Mr. Taylor?”

 

“Of course not! I don’t care about that fucking punk, and neither does Lindsay. We just wanted him gone! But with the situation with Hobbs not running Justin off the way we planned, or the fact that Jennifer was supposed to keep Brian and Justin apart after the bashing, we figured we’d introduce Ethan and give Justin another reason to get the fuck out of Brian’s life.”

 

“Back to this Jennifer person, for a moment. Who is she?”

 

“Justin’s mother. We kept telling her that Brian didn’t want Justin around, and that he would be better off with her after the bashing. But as soon as things got too tough, she pawned him off on Brian again!”

 

I feel sick to my stomach, hearing the machinations of people who considered themselves Brian Kinney’s best friends. I wonder what he had ever done to them to make them hate him so. I couldn’t imagine Annette and I ever being like that with one another. As for Justin Taylor… WHEW!! The amount of hate he has endured in his young life, and most of it perpetrated by people who are supposed to be adults, is disgusting!

 

Well I may not be able to do much for Brian and Justin, personally. But in a reverse sense, I can get them some justice at long last.

 

“So back to the embezzlement charge… sign the agreement, and then perhaps we can get the judge hearing the case to consider it time served.”

 

“Okay, I guess. But I want you to know that I’m not happy about it! By the way, when am I getting out of here?” He asks me, as he begins to sign the papers handing over all rights to Rage, Red Cape Comics, and the Novotny family home, to Justin Taylor.

 

I watch him as, once again, he neglects to actually read the airtight contracts. Even if he wasn’t going to jail, Michael Novotny upon his release is not allowed anywhere near any of the properties. In addition to the paperwork, there is also a bank draft in the name of Justin Taylor to retrieve all of the funds still left in the account. Ethan Gold has already returned the thirteen of the fifteen grand left from when Michael Novotny had paid him. He’s been plea bargained down to serve one year in jail, of which he has to serve at least eight months. Fortunately for him, the orchestra he was going to play for has agreed to hold his spot, but he’ll no longer be a principal player; just one of the violinists in the background with a steady gig.

 

I hold off on giving my idiot client an answer until every last piece of paper is signed, and in my briefcase. Once I lock it, I turn to Novotny, looking him square in the eye and say, “You’re not. Although you’ll be arraigned this evening sometime, the DA is going to request that bail will be denied. They will honor her request because of the list of charges against you, and the fact that your cohorts in crime are still accessible. But then, it isn’t like you would have anywhere to go anyway, since you no longer have your mother’s house. I doubt very seriously that Justin will let you stay in it, especially since he’s been told the extent of your bullshit.

 

"Ethan Gold’s testimony helped the prosecution’s office tremendously. And although I can’t tell you the particulars of the deal that was struck, I can tell you that when the time is right and the DA offers you a deal just before your trial dates come, take it! Let’s be honest here, Michael… you’re going to do time. But how much will be entirely up to you. If you choose to go to trial, you will without a doubt set yourself up for the maximum penalty. However, pleading guilty from the onset may get you, at least, a little bit of leniency. It’s a lot to think about. I’ll see you later this evening.”

 

I leave him cuffed to the table, exhaling a heavy sigh of relief. I can’t help but wonder if anything I’ve said has penetrated through that thick skull of his. I have never had a client, or met someone as twisted as Michael Novotny, or the bitch called Lindsay Peterson. Good God!  

 

Chapter End Notes: