- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

The title of this chapter is also my theme song for the year 2018. I've never been one to apologize for my thoughts, views, opinions, my work... ANYTHING that I may think or feel, so this song is just a testament to the way I live my life. I hope you all ENJOY it!  

So here's to hoping that you all will become the BEST, UNAPOLOGETICALLY YOU that you can be. Love you all and HAPPY NEW YEAR, FOLKS! 

HUGS, KISSES and WELL WISHES!

~Nichelle

 

CHAPTER 37: SORRY, NOT SORRY


*Payback is a bad bitch/ And baby, I'm the baddest


Now I'm out here looking like revenge/ Feelin' like a 10, the best I ever been/ And yeah, I know how bad it must hurt To see me like this, but it gets worse (wait a minute)


Now you're out here looking like regret/ Ain't too proud to beg, second chance you'll never get/ And yeah, I know how bad it must hurt to see me like this/ But it gets worse (wait a minute)


Now payback is a bad bitch And baby, I'm the baddest

You're fuckin' with a savage Can't have this, can't have this (ah)

And it'd be nice of me to take it easy on ya, but nah


Baby, I'm sorry (I'm not sorry)/ Baby, I'm sorry (I'm not sorry)

Being so bad got me feelin' so good/ Showing you up like I knew that I would

Baby, I'm sorry (I'm not sorry)/ Baby, I'm sorry (I'm not sorry)

Feeling inspired 'cause the tables have turned/ Yeah, I'm on fire and I know that it burns


Baby, fineness is the way to kill/ Tell me how it feel, bet it's such a bitter pill/ And yeah, I know you thought you had bigger, better things/ Bet right now this stings (wait a minute)


'Cause the grass is greener under me/ Bright as technicolor, I can tell that you can see/ And yeah, I know how bad it must hurt to see me like this/ But it gets worse (wait a minute)


Now payback is a bad bitch/ And baby, I'm the baddest

You fuckin' with a savage/ Can't have this, can't have this (ah)

And it'd be nice of me to take it easy on ya, but nah


Baby, I'm sorry (I'm not sorry)/ Baby, I'm sorry (I'm not sorry)

Being so bad got me feelin' so good/ Showing you up like I knew that I would

Baby, I'm sorry (I'm not sorry)/ Baby, I'm sorry (I'm not sorry)

Feeling inspired 'cause the tables have turned/ Yeah, I'm on fire and I know that it burns


Talk that talk, baby Better walk, better walk that walk, baby

If you talk, if you talk that talk, baby Better walk, better walk that walk, baby

Better walk, better walk that walk, baby


Baby, I'm sorry (I'm not sorry)/ Baby, I'm sorry (I'm not sorry)

Being so bad got me feelin' so good/ Showing you up like I knew that I would

Baby, I'm sorry (I'm not sorry)/ Baby, I'm sorry (I'm not sorry)

Feeling inspired 'cause the tables have turned/ Yeah, I'm on fire and I know that it burns


Payback is a bad bitch/ And baby, I'm the baddest

I'm the baddest, I'm the baddest*


ALLEGHENY COUNTY LOCK-UP

ANNETTE


I’m standing here damn near peeing in my pants while watching Novotny and Peterson’s faces. I had no idea that she would come visit the nimrod today, but I couldn’t have timed it more perfectly if I did. Although Judge Roy is facing criminal charges for racketeering and bribery, I can’t re-try Hobbs again for simple assault. However, I can and will try him for the breaking and entering charges, as well as vandalism, coercion, and conspiracy. I asked to have an outside mediator to look into the former case regarding Justin Taylor, as I no longer trust that one of Roy’s golfing buddies won’t try to cover up the Stockwell and Roy connection that Justin suspects there is.

 

I also don’t trust Lindsay not to interfere, or more accurately influence, the investigation in her usual way. I swear that woman has more mileage on her twat than the Belt Parkway in Brooklyn, seen more traffic than the George Washington Bridge and the Lincoln Tunnel combined, and has had more trains run on her than the Long Island Railroad has routes to and from NYC! Anyway, Judge Malachi Jones from the Supreme Court in Philadelphia is reviewing the Hobbs assault case to see exactly what happened, since he really should have been charged with attempted murder. Should certainly be interesting to see what he finds.


I watch them whispering, frantically back and forth, while still staring at Hobbs as he talks to his defense attorney. By now, the deal should be on the table: testimony in exchange for a lighter sentence in reference to the vandalism, coercion, and conspiracy charges only. The B&E is a separate issue altogether, since that was done to a private residence. But what happened at St. James was not only public knowledge, it also put the entire population of St. James Academy at risk. With their permission, I’m offering him a sentence of seven years to be served consecutively to any other sentence he gets for his other cases.

 

If he’s smart, he’ll take it and concentrate solely on the other trial coming up for him. But then again, if he was smart he never would have gotten mixed up with the modern day whining Pinocchio and his long-haired, snake-tongued puppet mistress to begin with. He certainly gives new meaning to the phrase ‘Dumb Jock.’


“He’s asking to speak with you,” Garrett whispers in my ear, as I continue to watch Novotny and Peterson.


“Who is, exactly?”


“Hobbs. He has questions about the offer.”


“Pity. I was hoping that it was Novotny, but I’m sure that’ll be forthcoming as soon as his master leaves.”

 

The shrill tones of Peterson reaches my ears, even while I watch her stand up from the table. I can see the smug look in her eyes, as she looks down at him from her upright position. His eyes narrow at her, as she orders him to fix the shit his negligence in hiring the doofus has caused. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out which doofus she is speaking of, since he’s clearly one of the others in this situation. Greasy Doofus is currently beginning his sentence upstate. So that only leaves Dopey Doofus upstairs, since Dumbass Doofus is being ordered around by Graspy Doofus in the expensive suit. I snicker, as before he can respond, she flounces off towards the exit. “I suspect the request to see me won’t be long in coming now.”


“No, it won’t. What do you want me to tell him?”


“Tell him… tell him I am away from my office, until late next week. Let’s see what he’s like when he can’t follow through with her order. I’m sure that he’s expected to call her when he has news. So the fact that she won’t hear from him will bring her back here, sooner rather than later. Has the recording been closed out?”


“I gave orders to wait until five minutes after she left, or until the guards removed him from the area- whichever came first.”


“Good, Garrett. With what we know about little mumbling Michael, that recording should prove very interesting and informative indeed.”


With that, we leave the area to go speak with Hobbs. Hopefully, the conversation will be brief. Because honestly, being in his presence makes me contemplate what I will look like in an orange jumpsuit of my own. In short, it’s not a good career move!


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ADLS


KINNETIK JTD

BRIAN


Is it wrong that I want to call Lindsay and gloat right now? Probably, and it is taking great restraint on my part to stop myself from doing so. We just received a call from the D.A. to give us an update on the case against Michael, and to request that we come down and make the official statement. As much as it saddens me that it has come to this, what Michael did should be paid for. If it was anyone else, I would say they were getting what they deserve. Knowing what I know now about both Michael and Lindsay, I feel like they are still getting off a bit too easy.


I turn to Brandon, who I still can’t believe introduced himself as my brother. My brother! So that long-ago innuendo wasn’t an assumption at all. I know that he and I have to talk, but right now Justin and I have to get to the station. As I look around, the only one not seeming surprised is Cynthia.


“You knew about this?”


“I met him yesterday, along with Lynette and Claire. She had come by to see you.”


“What the fuck does she want? I’m not…”


“Calm down, Brian. There is more to that situation than you understand at the moment. But I can honestly say, it’s nothing like what you’re thinking. She actually came to impart some news that you will be interested in.”


“I highly doubt that,” I snark.


“Regardless of what you say, I know you will be. I’ll call her and Lynette and have them meet us at the restaurant as well.”


“But…”


“Nope. That’s what’s going to happen, and I’m not fucking around on this, Brian. If you would like my resignation now, I’ll give it. Otherwise, stick a dick in it and just keep an open mind.”


I know that my look registers the shock I feel right now. I have never heard my assistant, and closest female friend, speak to me in such a manner. But I know that I would be a fool to call her on it. No one, other than Justin, has ever had solely my best interests at heart, even when I am as obstinate as I want to be right now. I know that I can trust her implicitly, and that she would have found out the whole story before being so willing to stand toe-to-toe with me like this.

 

So why am I having this kind of reaction? “You’ve been spending too much time with Mel, I see.”


She smiles, knowing that she won the battle of wills between us this time. “And so what if I have? She’s but another woman who isn’t afraid to tell you what she thinks, even if her reasons for doing so have changed a bit. It’s about time you accept that, and I’m here to see that you do.”


I sigh and roll my eyes. “Fine. You win, but don’t expect it to happen again.”


“Don’t you mean, too often? I’m never going to bite my tongue or bow to the King of Liberty, Brian. And you wouldn’t want me to, now would you?” Cyn smirks.


“So, meeting at the restaurant? I suppose it will give you, Brett and Connor, a chance to secure a hotel, since it appears that a weekend in the Pitts is in your immediate futures. I can’t believe you’re skipping out on the premiere,” Justin says. He knows Cyn and I have come to another understanding, even if the rest are left wondering.


“That works for us. Besides, you know how those things go, Justin. Boring, boring, boring, schmooze, and by the end of it, snoring. I’m already having a lot more fun here, and we haven’t even done anything yet. Brian and Cynthia’s repartee is enough to keep us entertained,” Brett answers for the two of them.


“Ah, you should have heard Justin a little while ago. Remind me to tell you about it, when we get to the restaurant. If you think Mel’s thundercunt comment was funny, you should hear Justin’s take on Ball-Gag-Quick Tricks. It’s very enlightening.” Cynthia snickers. “In the meantime, Brandon, if you have any other business to conduct…”


“Just a phone call home, and to check on a few clients.”


“Clients?” I ask. It just dawned on me that I don’t even know if this guy is on the up and up. With Justin and I hitting the mainstream in our businesses, and with this merger happening, we can’t be too careful about who we let into our lives now. And that especially includes gold-digging family members.


“Yeah. I’m a Corporate Attorney representing five businesses, including my father’s. I’m also the private attorney on retainer for a few high-profile clients as well.”


“Wait though... you said you’re his brother. How is that? There is only him and Claire that I know of. I knew you were making inquiries about Brian’s whereabouts but...” Mel queries. I could see her bull-dyke lawyer wheels turning.


“Mel, it’s a long story. And although I’ve told Justin, I’ll tell everyone else of the Kinney-inbreeding family tree over lunch... or should we just call it dinner? I don’t know how long we’re going to be at the station, although I don’t expect that should take too long. But this is a conversation best had with a lot of liquor, privacy, and at least a semblance of comfort involved.” I turn to Brandon then. “Are you sure? I mean...”


“I know what you mean. When Daddy J told me…”


“Daddy J?”


“I have two fathers- John and Robert. John is my bio-dad, while my brother Garrett's bio-dad is Robert. Garrett works here in the DA’s office.”


“Wait, Garrett Dickerson is your brother?” Justin asks, as shocked as the rest of us. What are the odds that one of the people working the cases is in some way linked by blood to me?


“Yeah, technically he’s my half brother. We have the same mom, but different fathers. But my dad adopted him and vice versa. So that’s why my name is officially Kinney-Dickerson whereas his is Dickerson-Kinney, although he rarely uses the latter when working. He tends to worry how people will react to the news that he has two dads. He’s not ashamed of it; just feels that the less questions asked the better. It also keeps him from punching someone’s lights out- his words, not mine. As for the use of both my names, I really don’t give a flying fart what people think in any area of my life.”


“Yep Kinney, I do believe we’ve found your kinfolk,” Mel snarks. “That ‘If I’m not fucking you, it isn’t your business’ mentality must be an inherited trait.”


Brandon laughs. “I guess in the most fundamental way, it is. Daddy J says a much more vivid variation of that all the time, involving tabs and slots. In fact, I was going to try to catch up to him, while you guys were off taking care of your business,” Brandon answers.


“Then you might as well tag along with us. I’m fairly certain he’ll be at the station along with Annette Peters, the D.A. trying the cases.”


“Cases?”


“Yes. You wouldn’t believe the mess these two have going right now,” Mel says, pointing at Justin and me.


“Well, if you guys don’t mind, I’d really like to see Garrett. It’s been awhile since he’s been back home to Chicago. I need to update him on Daddy J’s condition.”


“Condition? Is Uncle John sick?” I ask.


“He was, but thankfully he’s getting better and stronger everyday. If he had taken care of his heart last year when the doctor told him to, he wouldn’t have given us a big time scare. But no, he couldn’t stop working long enough to do that even though he has a very capable staff.”


“Sounds like micromanaging also runs in the family,” Cynthia said dryly, still unintimidated when I cut my eyes at her. “That said, Connor and Brett, I’ll help get you both settled. And you four, go and take care of everything. Oh, Ted and Tory, I’d like you both to stay behind for a few moments regarding Monday’s meetings, if you don’t mind.”


“Seems like the micromanaging almost is caught through osmosis,” I snark at her. Cynthia laughs, but she knows that I trust her. She’ll see that everything is taken care of even though Justin and I haven’t even begun to work on the campaigns for Eyeconics and Balmain yet. It doesn’t matter that we’ll be pulling an all-nighter to get things done. Which reminds me… “Justin, do you have the original specs and notes of the work you did on the Balmain account?”


“Yeah, I do. Tory, can you get them to Cyn as soon as possible?”


“It’s definitely a small world,” Brandon says, amazement clear in his voice.


“Why do you say that?” Justin asks, looking over to him.


“I was one of three attorneys that helped Harrison Balmain during his very lucrative divorce from Jasmine Parks. I take care of his business interests.”


“Then it’s fortuitous that you’re here anyway, even if it is for personal reasons,” Justin pointed out. “Cynthia, if you could get him a copy of Kinnetik JTD’s standard contract so he can go over it while he’s here, that would be great.”


“I can do that, but isn’t there a legal cooling off period when dealing with a merger?”


“Yes and no,” Brandon answers.


“He’s right in this case, although the terms tend to vary from state-to-state. It helps that Brian and Justin were already listed as a secondary proprietor on each other’s business. It’s now a matter of just changing the paperwork to reflect the change to co-owners, instead of a sole proprietorship. Basically, it will be listed as the Taylor-Kinney Corporation. Are you guys okay with that? I mean, if…”


“I’m fine with that. If anything, Brian and I will just have to buy each other out, or split everything evenly before separating the businesses once again.” Justin says.


“But that’s not an option,” I state firmly.


“Brian, we have to at least prepare for the possibility.”


“No, we don’t,” I say, and even I hear the surety in my voice. I’m not letting him go in any form this time, and that extends to the business as well. I can tell by the look on Mel’s, Ted’s, and Tory’s faces that they understand exactly what I’m saying, even if Justin doesn’t right now. “Justin, this is something that we’ve always played around with when I was with Ryder. I didn’t even know that you still thought about it after... while you were recuperating. I can’t think of anyone I would rather be in business with. So no, we don’t have to worry about splitting the business in half. Whether everything else works out or not, I know that I can trust you with this.”


I can see the moment what I just said registers with him, and I know that he feels the same way. There will be no splitting assets down the middle. “This time we’re playing by our own rules in all facets,” he whispers, so that only I can hear.


“Yeah, we are. So Kinnetik JTD is here to stay. Cyn, I trust that you and Tory can work on joining the contract terms to mirror each other,” I tell them.


“That shouldn’t be a problem at all, Brian,” Mel interjects. “It seems that both you and Justin are experts at reading each other. The contracts for both Kinnetik and JT Designs read the same way, and the contractual conditions fully spelled out. Since I wrote both of them, I would know. The only things that need to be changed now are the names and fees to reflect of the cost of campaigns as a whole, instead of as separate entities.”


I nod. “I would ask you to stay behind and work on this, Mel, but…”


“Say no more, Brian. Besides, I’m sure Ted has it covered. He knows the fees and all of that. Teddy, just be sure to send me the contract for final proof before you print it up. I can check it all from the phone, and edit accordingly.”


“No problem. Nice that you finally upgraded your phone from the stone ages. Be sure to forward me the receipt for the write-off, since it counts as a business expense,” Ted advises her.


“It does?” Brett and Connor asks. I just smile at their response.


“Yes, as long as you can prove that it’s mainly used for business purposes. I’m surprised that your accountants didn’t tell you that,” Ted answers.


“No, he didn’t. We use the same one. I’m sure it was just an oversight,” Brett says.


“HA! Bullshit, Brett. Besides, look what happened to Wesley when he trusted his accountant to tell him the truth of things. That five years for tax evasion is still eating his career alive, and it wasn’t even his fault! Ted, are you taking on new clients?”

 

“Oh, um... I haven’t really considered taking on a client-base beyond Kinnetik, JT Designs, and those I consider family,” Ted stammers.


“Well perhaps you should. I think you, me, and Brett have some things to talk about after we get settled, if that’s alright with you and your boss?”


They all look at me for permission. I know why Ted is feeling a little apprehensive. I swear he needs to get his fucking confidence back, and quickly! “It’s fine with me, Schmidt. And just what the hell are you looking at me for? You’re your own man, and this is your field of expertise. As long as you put Justin and I first, you won’t have a problem out of me. I named you CFO of this company for a reason, and I know Justin trusts you implicitly. So fuck the fuck-ups, get your head out of your ass and make your money!”


“Well in that case, Brett and Connor, as soon as I take care of Kinnetik JTD business, I’ll be happy to talk to both of you about your accounting needs,” Ted says, and I just roll my eyes at his politeness. Justin elbows me in the ribs causing me to chuckle a bit.


“Let’s get going, guys. The sooner you get this shit done, the sooner I can eat,” Mel says.


“Where’s Gussie today?” Justin asks.


“He’s with Dusty and Marie again today. They decided to extend their stay at Marie’s mom’s house. Lindsay has been calling and leaving messages on their phones so much, they are considering getting new numbers.”


“So that means you’re free for the weekend, huh?” Justin asks slyly, and I know where he’s going with this.


“Looks like… wait a minute, why are you asking?”


“No reason,” he smiles. She narrows her eyes at him, but decides to let it go for now.


I notice the quick look exchanged by Brett and Connor, while Ted just snickers. Yep, it’s definitely the right time to set Mel up. Since Lindsay has been out of the picture, I’ve noticed exactly what Ron and Nancy meant when they spoke of the problem they had with Mel and Lindsay’s relationship. Even though she’s getting back to the person I’d met over ten years ago, I can still see the way Lindsay had emotionally beaten her down. It’s something that only a person who has been emotionally abused would notice.

 

She and I have that in common. Although I was physically abused by Jack and Joan, it’s the bruises that can’t be seen which hurt worse. They’ve hindered me in so many ways; the most important one being when I lost Justin. I can’t allow Mel to continue down the emotionally stilted road she’s been on for so long. And what the fuck??!! I’ve turned into a damn lezzy, thinking all this shit!!!


“Justin, can you check my balls to make sure I still have them?” I whisper to him.


“What the hell are you talking about?”


“I just compared myself to Mel in my head. Something is seriously wrong with that. I think my balls shriveled to create a labia.”


He laughs, and turns around to me. He stands on his tip-toes, while bringing our heads together. As soon as his lips graze mine, I feel my dick stir. Apparently, he noticed, too. “Still wondering where your balls are?”


“Hm... I can do with a bit more convincing that they’re still there.” He brings his lips to mine fully then, and it doesn’t take but five seconds of the contact to have me breathless and aching with need. But it is short-lived as the excessive throat clearing brings us both back into focus.


“Um, Justin, if you could give Brian back his tonsils, we can get going,” Mel orders, causing the others to laugh.


“Later,” Justin whispers against my lips.


“Hell yeah,” I whisper back, and plant a single sensual kiss against his smiling lips.


We say our goodbyes, and lead the way out with Brandon and Mel in tow. This day has been interesting so far, and I doubt that it’s about to slow down. But first, we have to get through the shit at the police station. Part of me feels bad that we have to do this… I mean, who in a million years would’ve guessed that my partner would have to file official charges against my former best friend? But when I think of all Michael has done to the young man sitting behind me while I’m in the passenger seat of Mel’s car, I realize that there really isn’t another choice if I’m going to hold on to my own morals and ideals in this. I’m a little sad that it has to come to this, but Michael and Lindsay forced me to choose between them and myself. And for the first time, I’m choosing me.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ADLS  



LINDSAY


I am internally screaming right now! The whole trip to see Michael was a pointless waste of my fucking time! Instead of being helpful, the little ingrate was ungracious and as demanding as always. Is that any way to treat me, the ONLY friend he has left?! Then to see Chris Hobbs enter the prison… I feel like all of my carefully laid plans are going to shit!


My thoughts are interrupted by the cellphone ringing in the seat next to me. A fucking prepaid cellphone, and yet another thing that’s chapping my ass right now! I asked Daddy to put me on his plan, and he said that I had to ask my mother. So I did and she told me that until I got a fucking job, then the answer was going to be no. She then continued to throw it in my face that right now, I am on their mercy since they are the only people willing to give me free room and board until I become self-sufficient.

 

Well fuck that shit! I'm not looking to kowtow again to some innane idiot, who I have to regard as my boss. I'm only biding my time until Clarence gets his head out of his ass, and realizes that what I want is the only thing that should truly matter. What part of I don’t want to work is hard to understand?! What part of 'I should be taken care of in the same manner that she is,' has not registered?! What part of 'I should be treated as an equal to the pampered princess, Lynette,' is not clear?! I take a calming breath before answering the phone.


“This is Lindsay.”


“Yes, I know, as it should be. Where are you?” Clarence asks me.


“On my way back to the house.”


“That’s not what I meant, but I’ll let that go for now. Look, I’ve arranged a luncheon with some people I would like for you to meet. Are you due back this way soon?”


“I should be back at my parents’ house in about half an hour.”


“No problem, but since it’s going to be at Le Mont, perhaps you should just come straight there.”


I look at the Donna Karan suit I’m wearing from yesterday, and once again, curse whomever it was that stole my new clothes. “I’m really not dressed appropriately, Clarence. I had a few errands to run this morning. I’ll just go back to the house, change, then meet you there.”


“You misunderstand, Lindsay. It wasn’t a request. Since I am hosting, it is imperative that we be on time, and together, when greeting my guests. Now if this is a problem for you, we can call this entire arrangement off right now with no hard feelings.”


“NO!” I project, involuntarily. That would ruin all of my reformulated plans, and I can’t have that! Taking another calming breath, I speak again, trying for my wheedling tone. “No, Clarence. That’s not necessary. It’s just... well I know it’s silly, but I would feel better meeting your friends in a dress as opposed to the pantsuit I’m wearing.” Perhaps if I appeal to his semi-old world ideals, I can get my way in this.


“No need to stand on such formality, Lindsay. These people are pretty forward-thinking individuals. Although all are successful in their own rights, they are far less stodgy than some of my other business associates. So I will see you in about twenty minutes then. Don’t be late,” he orders, hanging up before I have a chance to get another word in edgewise.


I hate fucking being controlled! But really, what choice do I have if I’m going to succeed in my revenge against all those who hurt me, beginning with Justin? Brian and Mel never would have rebelled against me if it wasn’t for him! They would have never seen through my motives enough to even begin having second thoughts about following my carefully-worded edicts. So for now, I’ll submit to Clarence’s wishes and play my part, as the doting fiancee.

 

But as soon as I’ve secured my position by his side, I will make the rest of THEM pay, and pay dearly!


I arrive at the restaurant a few minutes before he asked. That’s another thing he and I need to get straight, forthwith. Lately, when he is addressing me, he sounds dictatorial, and I don’t like it at all! He needs to learn what’s acceptable to me, and most certainly, what isn’t. I am not a child, and he will NOT speak to me as such!

 

I take a few minutes to reapply my makeup, and run the brush smoothly through my hair until it gleams. Taking a brief glance at the clock, I smile at my little act of autonomy. It reads two minutes past the time I was ordered to be inside. Smoothing down the red pantsuit, I grab my purse and head into the restaurant. As I look around the place, I have to say that I am extremely impressed by the atmosphere alone.


Although I have passed by many times, I’ve never been inside. Sure, many of the men I’ve fucked could have afforded to bring me here for lunch, but our lunch dates were never about eating food. Even now, I see many of them almost cringing as I join Clarence at the table, while their wives sit oblivious to the reason they have each gone white as a ghost. I inwardly chuckle at the power I hold over each of them; knowing that all it would take is one well-placed innuendo to have their entire world as they've known it to come crashing down around their ears. It’s a heady feeling!


“You should at least try not to look so smug, Lindsay. Whereas, they and you may feel as if you all have pulled the proverbial wool over the eyes of their better halves, I’m willing to bet that the wives know exactly what you have been up to.”


“I have no idea what you’re talking about, Clarence.”


He snickers. “Of course, you do. It doesn’t take a genius to know why any of them would associate with you.”


“Well if I’m such a low-bred hussy, then why do you?” I ask, losing all pretense of patience with him.


“Call me a sucker for charitable works. It isn’t easy trying to turn a whore into a housewife, or in your case, a legally working one. Now, let’s have a pleasant lunch, shall we?” I gasp, affronted at his retort, even as he holds out my chair.


Instead of slapping his face and storming out as I long to do, I sit down. It wouldn’t do to cause an additional scene, no matter how much I long to do it. But I’m trying to regain my former status within this set, before I had my unfortunate misstep with Melanie. So I know I have to bide my time. It’s then that I notice our exchange wasn’t entirely private, as sitting at the table is his partner, Paul Harris.

 

Fucking hell, what is he doing here?!


“Paul, what a nice surprise,” I say, pasting on a smile. “I was under the impression that this was a business dinner.”


“It is. But since Clarence and I share several interests, including business dealings, it makes my presence here a bit expected.”


“Oh? So can you tell me about who else will be in attendance?” I ask, just as the waiter comes upon us, and I order a white wine spritzer. I have to constantly remind myself that I’m driving, as I would like nothing better than to ask for an entire bottle of Captain Morgan, to drown out my sudden sorrows. Something has to fucking give!


“Just a few of our associates, many of whom you met the other night at the Carnivale. Ah, here they come now.”


Both Clarence and Paul stand to greet their guests, as I remain seated. I’m feeling quite superfluous as Clarence seems to finally remember that I am sitting here, and reintroduces me. I watch as all of them laugh and joke with the easy familiarity born of long friendships, and I’m once again reminded of what I used to have. This is yet another thing that fucking little upstart has stolen from me! It doesn’t help that as the others take their seats, they are rehashing all of the highlights of Carnivale... and the subsequent drama.


“So Lindsay, Clarence tells us that the little brunet man was a good friend of yours,” Haley Mills asks me. She and I seemed to hit it off rather well after being introduced the other night, and have a lot in common. Like me, she was trapped in a loveless alliance for a number of years.


“I guess you could say that. I’ve known Michael for a long time. He’s usually so mild-mannered. I don’t know what caused him to engage in such an unseemly display.”


“I heard that it could be because he was caught red-handed in a bit of conjecture. A friend of mine at the police station told me that Justin Taylor is supposed to come in this afternoon, and make his official statement regarding the embezzlement charges,” her husband, Stephen, interjects.


“Oh? I hadn’t heard that,” I hedge.


“No, you wouldn’t have, as it’s not public knowledge. There is so much more to that case than just what happened the other night, between the three men. I heard that Ethan Gold has already given his statement, and made a deal. If you ask me, it was the smart thing to do; the right thing. It’s sad that while Justin’s star is certainly on the rise, the sun hasn’t even had a chance to shine on that talented young man.”


My ears perked up then. “What do you mean about Justin’s star rising? I mean, I know that Carnivale was a success, especially with some influential art critics in attendance.”


“Oh, that’s right, Clarence did mention that you were an assistant within the Bloom Gallery awhile ago,” Haley, once again, interjects.


“Pardon? I was never just an assistant. I was the gallery manager. And yes, I am well-versed in the who’s who of the art world. But what of Justin? I mean, sure he’s talented, even after his unfortunate mishap a couple of years ago…”


Paul frowned at me, before adding his thoughts. “I think being the victim of attempted murder constitutes much more than a mere mishap, don’t you think? I still can’t believe that Hobbs kid just got off with a Simple Assault charge. I mean to only get five-hundred hours of community service...”


“I agree,” I interrupt the beginning of Paul’s tirade. The last thing I want to do is listen to the ongoing praises of the Justin Taylor Appreciation Society. But I have to admit, I am curious about what’s happened since the other night. “I’m glad that I was able to help him over that situation. When he didn’t think he was ever going to be able to draw again, I used my position to introduce him to Adrienne Bennett. She’s an artist, that even as a quadriplegic, still creates and sells her work internationally. She’s a true inspiration, and it gave me great joy to be able to introduce her to Justin.”


“I’m familiar with Adrienne, and she speaks very highly of Justin. Do you know that he still goes to see her every chance he gets?” Paul states to everyone at the table, much to my annoyance.


“No, I wasn’t aware. I know that Justin has been traveling recently, so he and I haven’t had a chance to catch up.”


“Honestly, after that display you were involved in the other night, I doubt that he will be running over anytime soon.”


“What exactly is that supposed to mean, Paul? It was a simple misunderstanding that I was trying to diffuse.”

 

He smiles knowingly at me. And I know right then that he and Clarence have been talking about the situation. It was NOT Clarence's place to say anything about what I've told him, before or after Carnivale. And it is certainly NOT Paul's place to question me, or spew out any sly innuendos about my circumstances! My wayward fiance and I will have words about him spreading my business around, even if it’s during pillow talk.


Paul addressed me, yet again, and I don't like his condescending tone while doing so. “Be that as it may, Lindsay, it seems that Justin is moving ahead with his life, and leaving the little people- or should I say people who attempted to belittle him- behind. Did any of you happen to catch the article in the Arts and Leisure section of the paper today?”


“I never had you pegged as someone who would be interested in that section of the newspaper, Paul. You seem much more of a stock market kind of guy to me,” I imply in response. To me, he's as boring and nondescript as Ted is. I really can't understand the attraction between him and Clarence, although money does indeed change the look of a person.


Everyone at the table laughs, and I can tell it's at my expense. I don’t get it; I just called it as I see it. “That’s true, too, Lindsay. But my stepbrother is an avid art collector, even though he’s only twenty. Though I’m a number of years older than he is, his love of art and my willingness to read up on the upcoming artists and current trends, is what keeps us close. Family, despite my current relationship with my parents, is incredibly important to me. Anyway, Justin was featured in the paper this morning.”


“Really?" I ask, in shock, but then I shrug. "Then again, I suspect it's because of the success of the GLC's Carnivale this year. I heard it was the most lucrative one to date. I'd imagine he would be featured in the local paper, alongside Brian, for the work he’s done.”


“No, you misunderstand. He was featured in the local paper, of course. But this morning, he was also in the New York Times, which as you know is national. It appears that while he was here in Pittsburgh for Carnivale, he was also featured as one of the Emerging Artists during a show in Los Angeles last night. He sold out, with one of his paintings going for $150K, which is an unheard of sum for a young artist. I suppose his work on Rage helped his notoriety. But still, to go for that amount as a newcomer into the fine arts arena is certainly a major accomplishment. To do it while in absence proves that Justin Taylor is not just a ‘trend’ of the moment; that young man has staying power.”


I can feel every brain cell within my head throbbing to the point of explosion as I listen to him impart everything the art critic for the Times has written about Justin. This shit is just un-fucking-believable! That fucker has just become the new darling of the art world, and he didn’t even have to leave Pittsburgh to do it?! How in fucking hell did that happen?! The expression on my face must have shown my displeasure, because while Paul continues to speak, Clarence leans over to me.


“Lindsay, are you alright?”


“Of course, I’m fine. Just feeling a little claustrophobic suddenly. Do you have a cigarette handy?”


“I thought you didn’t smoke.”


“I normally don’t. But every now and again, when I’m feeling a little overtaxed, it helps to calm me. After the last few days, and now the news regarding Justin’s career, I’m feeling a little like an out of control seesaw.”


“Why? Aren’t you happy for your protege? That is what you meant to imply, when you told the story of introducing Adrienne and Justin, didn’t you?”


“Of course, I’m happy for Justin,” I say, disregarding the other part of his statement. Although he is spot on in his assessment of why I mentioned it, I refuse to give him the satisfaction of admitting the truth. “I… Look Clarence, please if you have a smoke, just give it to me. Even before I got here, it has been a very trying day.” Whatever he saw in my eyes just then must have sealed his decision to hand me his pack, with a slight nod of his head. “Excuse me, everyone. I’ll be back in a few moments.” I say, but none of them, except Clarence acknowledges my departure.


As I walk outside towards the side of the building, I look through the windows and spot the last person I thought I would see here. I narrow my eyes and think What the fuck are they doing here? Both fortunately and unfortunately, my answer isn’t long in coming as Brian, Justin, Mel, my parents, Bill, Claire and her sons, as well as Lynette and some men I don’t know, join Jennifer and some young woman I assume is her daughter at the large table. I can’t help but wonder what the fuck that is all about. Or, more accurately, what the fuck is happening in the air, since it seems to have a hard-on for fucking me over today!

 

And with the arrival of the next patrons of this establishment, I can feel a major storm brewing on the horizon of my life once again.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ADLS


LE MONT RESTAURANT

JENNIFER


I try not to laugh as I see Lindsay, storming towards the entrance. As soon as she exits the building, I watch as she inhales a deep breath and lights a cigarette. I can only deduce that she’s just received word of Justin’s success in a world where she could never succeed. My son also just proved to her how full of shit she is, in reference to needing to leave Pittsburgh to become a major player with his art. Yes, I know all about Lindsay’s suggestions that Justin should leave, so he can make something of himself.

 

The truth was that she wished for Justin to leave before she was exposed for the conniving conch-cooch she is! Yeah, I can thank Molly for that one. It’s amazing what teenagers come up with nowadays. But then again, I sat shocked speechless in a therapist’s office only a few years ago, when my son gave me the rundown of what he likes about dick. I officially think that there is nothing else that could surprise me regarding my children.

 

All illusions of my children’s innocence is long gone; I’m not sure they ever had any to begin with.

 

As they all enter, Molly hunches me and I smile. I can’t help but notice how at ease Brian and Justin are with each other now. I suppose that whatever has been said and done between them while they were both in California, and away from the prying eyes here, has done a world of good. Most importantly though, I believe it has undone a lifetime of bullshit that has been handed to them by their families- both the ones they were born into, and the one they’ve created for themselves. It’s wonderful to see!


However, my joy is short-lived, for as introductions are made even while Molly remains star-struck, I notice the arrival of Craig. Not for the first time, I wonder why the earth hasn’t just opened up and made his one way trip to hell immediate. Thankfully, I’m the only one who’s noticed his arrival so far, but from the looks of him, that’s going to be short-lived. As for Lindsay, she’s still standing outside and is arguing with another woman. Probably some other wife whose husband she’s fucked the sense out of.

 

I will never understand what they see in her since, if one bothered to look closely, her avarice and hardness of features reveal so much about her motives. There is a reason I’ve always avoided speaking with her as much as possible during dinners at Deb’s. Just like a court of law, anything you say can and will be used against you when dealing with her. It’s just too bad that Mel and Brian didn’t realize that until it was too late. But I suppose the saying, 'better late than never' is especially true in this case.


“Connor, Brett, and Brandon,” I interrupt, softly. “I’m sorry to inform you all of this, but you are about to witness some family drama.”


“What?” Justin asks, and I can see the moment he realized who I was speaking about as Craig’s eyes zeroed in on the rest of us.


“Justin, be as calm as you can. You know your father…”


“I don’t have a father…”


“I know you wish that you could pull the strand of his DNA out and stomp on it, son. But that’s just not possible, unfortunately. So both you and Brian, remember to channel your inner-WASP.”


“I don’t have an inner-WASP,” Brian says, and I laugh.


“Sure, you do. You got it from Justin… through osmosis.” I raise my eyebrow at his tell-tale blush. It still tickles me that I’m now able to make him do that. He would run screaming if he knew just how adorable he is, with that bashful look just at this moment.


“Show time, guys,” Mel whispers as Craig approaches.


“Molly, you are to come with me right now! It’s my weekend and your mother will end up in a world of trouble if she doesn’t release you from the company of these… people immediately,” he sneers.


“Well that’s too bad, because I have no intention of going anywhere with you, Dad,” Molly snarks back and I have to say, I’m proud of her. “And before you utter another word, I think you should be aware that I already told her exactly why I am not going. If you want your own dirty laundry aired, I’ll have no problem showing the world just how imperfect you are as a human being, let alone as a father. So please, continue with your undue threats.”


I can see the moment he decides to try another tactic. Adopting the wheedling tone that used to work on all of us, he says, “But sweetheart, please…”


“Your sweetheart is over at your table. But then again, perhaps I’m wrong since your trollop is still outside,” Molly points out. We all look over to the window, noticing Lindsay with her head hung, a grimace gracing her features. “I think it’s time that you finally pick a side, Mr. Taylor, although there’s absolutely nothing wrong with liking both sexes, just not at the same time.” She smirks at her own quip.


“I remember hearing that from somewhere before,” Ted snickers. “Ah, Brian, isn’t the same advice you gave the trollop?” The rest of us join in the laughter, much to the chagrin of Craig. He turns his venom upon Justin.


“This is all your fault! If you hadn’t rebelled, your impressionable sister would never think to speak to me this way!”


“You know, Craig, I have to thank you,” My son, all poise and poison, says.


“What the hell are you babbling about now, Justin?! And the name is ‘Dad’ to you.”


“Well that’s debatable, since you’ve stated to anyone who would listen that you have no son. But that’s no longer important, Craig. What is important, and worthy of a modicum of gratitude on my part, is that in the presence of all these witnesses, I don’t have to say anything to defend myself. You are doing a wonderful job of proving yourself the inept idiot, which I’ve thought of you as for many years, even shortly before I came out.”

 

Craig gasps, before turning purple with rage. It just occurred to me how much his color resembles Barney the purple Dinosaur when he’s upset, and I barely am able to suppress my chuckle at the side-by-side comparison going on inside my mind.


“You’re nothing! You’re never going to amount to anything! You, nor your molester!” Craig rants, even as Justin and Brian burst out laughing.


“Now, see that’s where you’re wrong, Craig. Take note of the company I’m keeping. Brett Keller and Connor James, this is the man you’ve heard me refer to as my sperm donor many times. In addition to that, you’ll be happy to know that Brian and I have decided to merge our businesses, and between us have at least six multi-million dollar clients; even a few multi-billion dollar clients as well. What do you have?

 

"Not only that- and allow me just a little leeway to brag about my underachieving ass- but since my brief stay in California, which I’m due to go back to very soon in order to finish up a lucrative commission, I had my first art show last night while I was here in Pittsburgh. I sold out, with one of my paintings selling for one-hundred fifty thousand dollars. Pretty good for someone who will never amount to anything, don’t you think?”

 

Justin smiles that million-dollar smile at Craig, who now not only looks like Barney but also Sebastian, the crab from The Little Mermaid. This is what happens when I spend time with Mel while she’s in ‘mommy mode,’ but I wouldn’t trade a moment of it, as Gus is an adorable little boy. Lindsay is a twit for doing anything to lose him!


“And you think that really means something?” Craig spews.


“Sure, it does. It means there’s nothing left for you here. No family. No glory. No money. No power. How does it feel, Craig, to know that the same proverbial ditch you tried to dig for me is the one you’re currently residing in?” And Justin's whipsharp retort, finally stuns Craig to silence.


“I think it’s time for you to be going, Mr. Taylor” Vic says. “Umberto, I think I can speak for all here when I ask that the next time any of us have reservations, Mr. Taylor not be given one at the same time.”


“Surely, Mr. Grassi. I will alert my staff to double check,” he says.


“That won’t work, since the reservation tonight wasn’t even under my name,” Craig says, smugly.


“A situation easily remedied, Craig, I assure you. Umberto, are you still looking for investors in this fine dining establishment?” Brian asks, shark smile firmly in place.


“Always, Mr. Kinney. We are doing well, it’s true. But there’s always room for improvement. And in order to remain on top of our little corner in the world, that also means welcoming fresh ideas attached to a healthy wallet.”


“As always, Umberto, you have an excellent grasp of what it takes to succeed. My partners in HoneyGrass Elegant Creations would like to be those investors. I’m sure Emmett and Vic would enjoy partnership, to include use of the staff for their catering events. Although they are still a bit new, they already have a strong client base which is only going to get stronger after the high-profile nuptials of George Schickle and Malcolm McGregor.”


Umberto’s ears perked up even further, with Brian’s pronouncement. “So you’re the caterers for their very special occasion scheduled to happen very soon?”


“Indeed we are,” Emmett confirms with that wide, easy grin he has. “And Brian is right. We would certainly love to go into business with you, Umberto. I think I can safely say that it is always a pleasure when we come to Le Mont. Tonight was the first less than stellar experience we’ve had, but that has more to do with the attendance of certain customers rather than the service. As partners with Le Mont, would that also give us the right to deny service to those less desirable customers?”


“Of course, it does. As long as it doesn’t violate anyone’s civil rights. We here at Le Mont pride ourselves on treating everyone equal regardless of their race, nationality, sexuality, or creed. But riffraff... well that's another matter altogether,” Umberto answers.


“Well that’s just fabulous, Honey. And if you are willing to accept a few suggestions in that regard now, we can talk further about the partnership a little later, or on Monday, since it’s a regular business day for us all.”


“What suggestions do you have in mind?” He asks, but I can see that Umberto is not fooled at all. It’s then that I recollect the times when Craig and I visited here, for either lunch or dinner. As usual, Craig was less than gracious to those he considered the ‘hired help,’ which included Umberto. On more than one occasion, I’ve had to apologize for his boorish behavior, even when the staff either thanked me or waved the apology away.


“Well I was thinking that to ensure we don’t have the problem of any Sneaky Petes, making their way into the restaurant that not only will the hostess ask for the name of the reservation on the phone, but also the names of their companions attending with them. Is everything already computerized?”


“Yes, Mr. Honeycutt. We had the system updated at the beginning of the year. It seems to be working well so far.”


“Good, good. Then all we need to do is to take a look at the program, which hopefully will make keeping track of the unwelcome set a little easier. Not only that, but it will be much more official. Now smile pretty for the camera, Craig…” Emmett requests, as he whips out the camera and takes Craig's scowling picture, before deftly putting the phone away.


“Welcome to the 21st century, Craig. That picture will be put into an electronic file. So short of a face transplant, you won’t be welcome within these glass walls again. Have a good evening,” Justin dismisses him, before turning his back. Damn I’m so proud of him!


“This isn’t over, Justin!” Craig threatens, but Justin just snickers.


“Actually, it is. And since there are witnesses to this little contretemps, if anything should happen to any company of which one of us own, operate, or are a silent partner in, you’ll be the first one looked at. I’ll assure you right now that your life will become increasingly uncomfortable, if it happens. You’ve forgotten one of the major tenets within this particular WASP nest; money and acquisition trumps all. So congratulations, Craig. You taught me that lesson very well.”


As Craig finally takes the hint and leaves the table, he is met with a very distraught Clay Mayweather. The argument- for that is what it was, no matter how quiet- is being regarded by the entire restaurant. Since it’s filled with people who know of the contemptuous history between my son and his father, it isn’t hard to know what words were exchanged between the two of them. Nor is it difficult to discern how pissed off Mayweather is with Craig right at this moment.


“I’m proud of you,” I hear Brian whisper to Justin, and the smile on my son’s face… well there aren’t adequate words to describe it. Even the term ‘sunshine’ seems too mundane. But it’s Justin’s verbal response that has me both amused, and confused all at the same time.


“I’m still learning how to be the best homosexual I can be.” Whatever that means, it seems that Brian understands completely. And that’s exactly how it should be.

 

LEDA


The last time I was in Pittsburgh, I left heartbroken. I vowed that I would never come here again without a valid reason, one that had to do with my career only. So it’s with great confusion that I’m back here to see the very woman who broke my heart for the second time. But somehow, I’m not sorry I came.


When Connor called me this morning- or rather afternoon, EST- I was wondering what fuckery he was up to. I mean, the only one who really knew the extent of mine and Mel’s relationship was my brother. Hell, he’d told me I was a fool enough times throughout the years that by the time I really began to believe him, I was too late to reclaim Melanie. By that time she had met Lindsay and then they had their son, Gus. I tried to accept that, but anyone watching Mel and I interact could see the attraction. It was like a fire burning me from the inside, and I would have settled for anything she chose to give me, even if it was only her friendship.

 

But during my last stay here, opportunity knocked in the form of LBD. I just couldn’t pass up the chance to remind Mel of what we were together, despite that Lindsay would have to join in the activity for it not to be considered cheating. However, something happened during that entire episode; something that I thought should have been troubling, but it wasn't. I'd never had a problem fucking a chick before, regardless of who it was. Mel was more discriminatory, but for me it was just about getting off; not the source which made me cum.

 

But that night, no matter what we were doing, I just couldn’t bring myself to touch Lindsay, even though I let her touch and kiss me in all the right places. I knew she wanted me to, and even made several attempts to force my hands where she wanted them. But it didn't work. Instead, I was consumed with Mel’s smell, her taste; obsessed with pulling the sounds only I could inspire, from her. And Lindsay heard each and every one.

 

The look on Mel’s face after she had her full-body orgasm told the story of what Mel and I were really like between the sheets, before her wife appeared within Mel’s life. And in that moment, Lindsay became a trick. She was just a human object, which enhanced the sex between partners in the moment, but was never meant to stay there. Mel and I didn’t have any sexual relations after that night, but the feelings didn’t dissipate. We simply silently vowed not to act on them.

 

So I left them to be the couple they were before I got there, while completing the construction job on the attic. I also got around to setting up my photography business, which was the real reason I was in the Pitts in the first place. But somehow, Lindsay convinced Mel that I was hitting on her while she was at work. Nevermind that I wasn’t even in the house long, when Mel wasn’t there after that night. Or the fact that I had virtually no attraction to Lindsay, beyond that singular moment in time when I had to include her in my dream come true. I know that Mel didn’t believe that of me, but she was torn between our wishes, and peace within her household.

 

I can honestly say that although I was hurt, I understood, and I left at the end of the week.


But now I’m back, and here is where I intend to stay if Mel will have me. Lindsay is a dumb bitch! She had it all in Melanie: ambition, intelligence, loyalty. Even if there were some small indiscretions, Mel wouldn’t have left her if Lindsay didn’t force her to act as she had for self-preservation. Well that stupid chick’s loss is, once again, MY gain.

 

Smoothing the red Donna Karan suit, I see one of the objects of my thoughts, standing outside of Le Mont in suit identical to my own. “Fancy meeting you here, Lindsay. Nice suit.”


“Thank you, Leda,” she says offhandedly at first, before realizing what she just said. “Leda?! What the fuck are you doing here?! I thought I made myself clear the last time you were in Pittsburgh. There isn’t anything left for you here!”


I smile at her attempt to intimidate me. “Yeah, you marked your territory, and Mel respected your wishes. But now, well she’s no longer yours in any capacity, now is she?”


“I don’t know what you’ve been told, but Mel will always belong to me. In fact, after she gets over her latest fit of pique, things will return to normal. So you should crawl back under the rock you’ve been hiding yourself, and leave before you get hurt… again.”


I would have to admire Lindsay, if I didn’t loathe her so much. She has the ability to be convincing, even within her own delusions. She would make one helluva a screenwriter in Hollywood. But this is real life, not another episode of Lindsay’s World. Things are going to be different this time.

 

She’s about to meet the ‘Leda’ that got Mel in the first place, but she hasn’t met the ‘me’ that is willing to do anything to keep Melanie Marcus this time. Smirk in place, I address her idiotic innuendo. “Lindsay, I’m not sure if you know this, but you don’t figure anymore. Mel considered your feelings once, and you disregarded hers. She’s not coming back to you, especially as you have proven yourself to be everything she despises.”


“You don’t know my wife!”


“You’re right, I don’t, since you don’t have one. But the former shell of Melanie Marcus- the woman whom your avaricious and cunty nature sucked the life out of- is gone! In her place is the woman I met before you were even a blip on her radar. That Melanie would never have downgraded to the likes of you; that Melanie would have seen through all that Maybelline caked on your face, straight through to the stone-cold and bitter bitch you are underneath. But I guess it’s better late than never that she’s finally gotten the measure of you, and has remembered that she is much better than you, and even better off without you.

 

"So do yourself a favor, dear... See a fucking shrink about that delusion disorder you have. It’s not cute or pretty, and frankly, you’re too old to play childish high school games. Grow up already, in more ways than just your overused body. It’s time to mature in your mind!”


I leave her standing there open-mouthed, trying to think of a response. I refuse to hear anything she has to say. And I’ve already wasted enough time talking! It’s time for another childish game played my way: Show and Tell. Walking purposefully into the restaurant, it doesn’t take long for the hostess to point me in the direction of the Kinney party that I am looking for.

 

I’m almost side-swiped by an angry man who is just coming from that direction. Based on the look of him, I would say that he’s a relative of Justin’s or something. But I don’t have the time to get the whole story right now. I’m on a mission! And while I have Lindsay’s undivided attention, I want to drive my own point home to the bitch.

 

I wave briefly at Connor and Brett, both of whom are suddenly grinning while elbowing Brian. It’s good to see Kinney looking so relaxed, but I’ll address that in a moment. I’m too busy approaching the object of my affection from behind. I can tell the exact moment she feels the charge in the air, which always seems to sizzle whenever we are in the same room. She gasps as she turns around and I take the opportunity to seal my lips to hers.

 

I kiss her possessively, ferociously; stealing her breath and giving her mine in exchange. I feel my hands pull at her hair, even as I feel her nails digging into my back. I long to feel them scratching down my naked skin, leaving her marks of passion and satisfaction on me, but I’m barely remembering that we are in a public place. It’s taking everything within me not to clear the table of all dishes and lay her down to make a meal out of her. The several subtle throat-clearings bring me back into focus, and I release Mel’s lips with a soft ‘pop.’

 

The dazed and glazed look in her eyes tells me that she’s in a similar state to mine. I smile widely, still holding Melanie’s lithe form to mine. “Hello, Sugar Lips.”


Melanie moves into me and hugs me tightly, while trembling as the arousal is still wracking her body. I look up at the window, enjoying the feel of her lips pressed against the side of my neck as she tightens her hold, and nearly laugh aloud at the pinched look on Lindsay’s face. Apparently, I’m not the only one who’s noticed either, and as I wink at her, Justin blows her a kiss, followed by a bright sunshine smile while Brian wraps his long arms around Justin’s waist. If these actions from Brian and I aren’t clear to the harridan with her nose out of joint still staring in the window, I don’t know what could be. Emmett whispers a few words to the man, whom I assume is the owner of the restaurant, and within minutes Lindsay is approached by said gentleman and the same hostess who checked me in, along with a sturdy looking busboy.


“What’s going on?” I ask, still holding Mel even though she has also turned to watch the scene folding outside. It’s obvious that the cold resolve with which Lindsay usually comports herself, is officially gone and has been replaced by her inner-two year old.


“Wow! She’s obviously been hanging out with Michael far too long; she’s even adopted his petulant pout and folded arms. Anyway, to answer your question, Darling Leda, Vic, Brian, Justin, and I have just decided a bit ago to invest in Le Mont. Although the paperwork and official business won’t be solidified until Monday, Umberto has been gracious enough to take our immediate suggestions into account and have a certain couple of patrons banned for the evening, as well as the immediate future. So everyone, wave goodbye to Lindsay now.”


And we all stand there, watching as she is bodily escorted to her car by the busboy. And when she looks back, all of us are waving and smiling, knowing that the bitch’s life just changed again… for the worse.

 

“Well deserved and well played, guys. Well played indeed!” I laugh and kiss Mel again.   

 

 

*sung by Demi Lovato/ Written by Demitria Lovato, Sean Douglas, Trevor W. Brown, Warren Felder, William Simmons • Copyright © Universal Music Publishing Group, Ole Media Management Lp