- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, plot, etc. are property of their respective owners, including, but not limited to Russell T. Davies, Cowlip, and Showtime. The authors of this story is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended...    

 

 

 

Justin Taylor was tired. He was just plain tired. After more than a year on the streets of Pittsburgh, he knew there was no way he could keep up this pace and find a full-time job. A decent job. One where he didn't have to use his body to get by.

 

While the other occupants of the diner were discussing their latest tricks, Justin combed through the Want Ads in 'Pittsburgh Out' newspaper. He was a loner and was sometimes teased for it, but he didn't mind that. While those teasing him returned to their home in Vaseline Tower, Justin lived wherever he could lay his head for a few hours. Sometimes his tricks were nice enough to let him shower and stay the night, other times... Well, he wouldn't think about that.

 

It was a far cry from the life he used to live in the Highland Park suburbs, his hometown- located on the outskirts of the place where he now prowled the streets looking for what equated to lunch money to feed himself. He needed a real job and FAST! Needed to be able to rest his exhausted bones in a bed with a soft pillow and not have to worry about someone trying to steal the money he made or trying to rape him as he slept. It was the primary reason he stayed to himself and out of the back alleys most of the other boys frequented. Justin continued to study the paper, wishing and hoping that he could find something that wouldn't require a background check.

 

Sure he could clean and act as a janitor, but the only position available was at his little sister's school and his father had made sure to blackball him to anyone within their social caste who would have given him a hand up from the gutter he was currently inhabiting. Instead of being honest with his country club cronies, Craig Taylor chose to lie and say that his reason for throwing Justin out of the house was because he touched his younger sister inappropriately. The sad thing was that he had lied to Jennifer, and instead of believing the son whom she had birthed and reared to manhood, she chose to believe her husband. The irony was that Justin had caught his father fucking his secretary numerous times and had never given his father up, but at the first opportunity, Craig had disowned his son. Justin being gay was the tool that the unfaithful fucker needed to get rid of the only person who knew the truth of what really went on inside the back offices of Taylor Electronics- a place his mother was NEVER allowed to go.

 

Shaking thoughts of the past from his head, he focused once more on the section of the paper that mattered to him the most. He looked up briefly, to check the wall clock in the corner. Four a.m. The owner of the diner and the head waitress didn't mind the boys coming in during the middle of the night to get a bite to eat and dawdle a bit, but the rule was that they had to be gone by the time the breakfast rush came in. They were not allowed to accost customers coming in from their late-night jaunts at Babylon or ply their trades in the restroom. They could sit and rest but they couldn't flout the rules of the paying, semi-well-established public.

 

Nevermind that said public often used the restroom to fuck for free, but that was yet another line drawn between hustlers and ‘them'. Releasing a yawn into the air, Justin rubbed his eyes to remove the sudden spring of tears- part from exhaustion, the other from sadness. There was no use crying since it didn't change a fucking thing. It was time to find someplace to sleep for a few hours before the lunch regulars came, seeking a man to fuck them before they returned to their illusion of heterosexuality. Businessmen much like his own father, who breathed respectability while being the most amoral bastards to walk the face of the earth; men who lie to their wives about their fidelity while saying that it doesn't count if a man fucks them since they aren't gay, all the while riding his dick like they invented the Salami Express. It was all bullshit and he was tired of it.  

 

Looking back down at the table, he was about to close the paper when he noticed the very last ad on the page. It was for a local advertising company with which he was fairly familiar. Prior to the company being started, the building that now housed it used to be the Liberty Baths- the place where he'd taken his first trick up against the wall in the old shower room and the place where all his best tricks were found. Justin remembered when he had made five-hundred dollars on ‘No Towels Night', after being on the street for three months. That money was supposed to help him get a room for a few months while searching for a job. The money he had when he left home was stolen not long after he had been on the street.

 

Consequently, it was also the same night that he learned NOT to sleep heavily, or with his back anywhere but up against a wall while napping under a bridge. A hard lesson but one well-learned. So, seeing the ad for Kinnetik was both a blessing and curse... or perhaps it was a sign for a new beginning since they were holding open interviews later that morning. He didn't have a degree- his father ruined that for him too- but he could do many other things. If he could just get his foot in the door, he didn't care if he had to be the janitor, errand boy, or the personal slave to either one, he just wanted a job. A real job. And he was going after it.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Brian Kinney was restless. He should be content with his life; he was thirty years old and had built his own business from the ground up. Kinnetik was the top advertising agency in Pittsburgh. He could, and did, get any man he wanted. He now owned the whole building that housed his loft, preferring to keep the building mostly empty, except for the occasional out of town client who he would put up in one of the small studio apartments on the lower floors. But he knew without a doubt that there was something substantial missing from his life, he just didn't know exactly what it was.

 

Brian spent his days working on making his business the best it could be. He only hired the best and would accept nothing less than their best efforts. He had no patience or time to put up with mediocre work. He prided himself on being a fair man and rewarded his employees handsomely for their efforts. He worked long hours because he wanted... no, he needed, to be the best. Growing up with indifferent, abusive parents had taught Brian that you need to rely on yourself if you want acceptance.

 

Another way Brian sought acceptance was in the backroom of Babylon; the best dance club in town, and the place where he was undeniably the king and top stud. He had carefully built his reputation in the last twelve years, getting into the club the first time when he was just eighteen with a fake ID, balls of steel, and an attitude to match. He still went there a few nights a week, most of the time alone, just to get his needs met. Occasionally Ted, Emmett, and/or Michael would be there too. Although these days Michael would often be home with his husband Ben. However, on the nights Michael did want to go out he could be rather insistent about Brian dropping whatever he was doing and meeting him, whether Brian had plans or not.

 

Michael still considered himself Brian's ‘best friend', but Brian was growing tired of having to keep up appearances, and especially having to put up with Michael's ‘now I'm better than you' attitude when many days Brian would rather have stayed home and enjoyed a quiet evening reading or listening to music. Brian knew he was ready for a change in his life, he was just hoping that fate would intervene soon and show him what to do.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Brian was walking through the lobby on his way to Ted's office when he saw a familiar blond head. He knew that he has seen the kid around but couldn't recall where. It wasn't until the kid looked up and blue eyes connected with his own hazel ones that Brian realized where it was he had seen the kid. Out of all the hustlers on Liberty Avenue, day and night, this kid always looked out of place. He remembered coming out of the Liberty Diner one day with his friends, bumping into the blond and nearly knocking the slight frame over.

 

Michael had made some crack about checking his wallet, which he often kept in the front lapel of whatever suit he wore. He had known instinctively that although the opportunity had presented itself for the young blond to take his money and run, he had done the opposite. The young hustler had picked the wallet up off the ground and handed it back to Brian intact when their eyes had connected for the first time. When he offered the blond a reward for being so honest he had turned Brian down, saying ‘I might hustle, but I'm not a thief' while throwing a look of barely-disguised contempt to Michael, who was standing much too close. Brian had never found out his name, even though he had seen him walking alone many times at night outside of Babylon. But he'd often wondered what this kid's story was.

 

After looking up into the hazel eyes, Justin had bent his head back down, wondering what he was supposed to put down where it said name and address. The name was the easy part; it was the bold letters of ‘address' that was the killer. He couldn't very well say Liberty Diner, or beneath the Liberty, 31st Street, or Andy Warhol bridges. He definitely couldn't say Vaseline Tower even if he really did live there, which he did not. Justin sucked his lip into his mouth still pondering over the question when the clipboard was unceremoniously snatched off his lap.

 

His first instinct was to argue, until he looked into the sparkling hazel eyes just beyond the clipboard. Justin was mesmerized as those eyes assessed and studied him. It was almost as if the man was looking for something unidentifiable within his own blue depths. Justin sat rigidly, letting the brunet stranger look his fill. He had nothing to hide except the fact that he was homeless, never worked an honest job in his life, and needed a place to sleep that didn't include the next john trying to top him. He needed someplace that allowed him to sleep deeply, a luxury which he had come to find out was not safe to do on the streets.

 

All he needed was a chance to prove his own worth, but not at the expense of his pride.

 

Justin watched as the tall brunet took out a pen and a scrap of paper from his pocket, writing something on the paper, folding it, and attaching it to his application. Was he trying to give me his fucking phone number for a later date? I can't even fill out a simple job application without my past following me like a fucking black cloud hanging over my goddamn head! Justin thought as he started to gather his meager belongings, getting ready to leave, when he felt the stranger's hand on his arm. He looked down at it briefly, before looking up at the man who stayed his quick exit.

 

"I'm Brian Kinney, the owner of Kinnetik," the man told him, handing him back the clipboard. "Take this down the hall," Brian told the blond, pointing to the hallway on his right, "and make a sharp left. You will find the Chief Financial Operator- a really dorky looking guy by the name of Ted Schmidt. Hand him that note on your application and he'll give you what you need," the husky voice told him. Justin must have looked at him as if he was nuts because Brian asked him, "Were those words particularly hard to understand?"

 

Justin shook his head in the negative, not only as an answer but also to clear his clouded thoughts. The words 'I have a job', kept ricocheting around his brain like a volley between two skilled tennis players. Finally, brought out of his momentary stupor, Justin answered, "No, they aren't hard to understand. Thank you for the opportunity, Mr. Kinney. I won't let you down."

 

Brian nodded at him. "See that you don't. Now run along so Ted can earn his pay for once."

 

And with that Justin walked- or a better term would be floated- down the hall, unaware of the man that still watched him from the lobby with a slight smile on his face.

 

When Justin arrived at the door Brian had sent him to he knocked and waited. Ted got up and answered the door, wondering who would be knocking, most people just walked into his office.

 

"Yes, may I help you?" Ted said to the young man that looked vaguely familiar.

 

"Mr. Kinney sent me here and asked me to give you this," Justin answered, handing Ted the clipboard with the note that Brian had written attached.

 

Opening the note Ted read,

 

Ted,

Give Justin the key and the code for the first-floor apartment in the loft building. Let him know it's fully furnished and the rent is free for the first three months. Cut him a check for two thousand, (check that he has ID so he can cash it, if not give him cash). If he does have an ID, let me know and I'll call the bank so they don't give him a hard time. Tell him to use the money to get food and clothes. Tell him he is to move in today and that he starts work next Monday morning. Call and arrange for him to have a company cell phone and tell him to go pick that up today too. Make sure he has the phone numbers in case he needs to get in touch with us and ask him to call with his number once he gets it.

Thanks,

B.

 

Ted asked Justin about his ID, and then relayed all the rest of the information within Brian's note. The more Ted told him, the more confused Justin looked. Finally, Ted asked if he was alright.

 

"I'm fine, Mr. Schmidt. I just don't understand all of this," Justin answered. He just came here hoping for a job... any job, really. He didn't care if they wanted him to clean the bathrooms and empty the garbage. But not only was he acquiring the job he sought, but was getting money and a place to live before he even started work! He was having a very hard time wrapping his mind around all of this.

 

"First of all, my name is Ted. Second, there is something you need to know about Brian Kinney. If he decides you are worth his time and effort, he will do anything in the world to help you. All he asks in return are your effort and your loyalty," Ted answered the young man with a smile. The smile he got in return could have lit up the darkest night.

 

Justin left Ted's office and headed for the lobby. He had not felt this elated since before he was forced out of the only home he had ever known. As he left the building he saw Brian smoking a cigarette near the entrance. Justin smiled at him, not wanting to interrupt him taking a break, but Brian called him over.

 

"Did Ted give you everything you need?"

 

"Yes Sir, he did, and I don't know how to thank you. This is all so great, so unexpected," Justin answered.

 

"Just work hard and do your best. That's all I ask. Now, I would like to suggest that you open a checking account and not carry all that around in cash. If you open an account at the bank Kinnetik uses they will give you a debit card when you open the account. It's much safer to carry around, plus you can start using it immediately. Also, the apartment has sheets, towels, and pretty much everything else you will need except for food and clothes. If you need more money before you get your first paycheck, let me know. This should be the only job you need. Now, you should go to the bank and then get your phone and some food before you go home. Please call and give us your phone number as soon as you get it. Welcome to Kinnetik, Justin. I hope you'll be happy here," Brian told the blond before reaching out to shake his hand.

 

When their hands touched, Brian felt a jolt like he had been hit by lightning. Schooling his features, he wondered if Justin had felt the same thing. Justin had felt the exact same thing when their hands touched, but he certainly wasn't going to mention it to his boss. He didn't want to lose this job before it even started. He also understood exactly what Brian had meant when he said this should be the only job Justin needed. That was one thing his boss would never need to worry about. He never wanted to be a hustler in the first place! So he was more than willing to never do it again.

 

The next time I have sex with anyone, it will be because I want to, and not because I need food, a shower, or a place to sleep.    

 

After Justin left, Brian went back into the building, heading straight for Ted's office. When he entered, he crossed over to the window Ted was staring out of. They both saw Justin fist-pump the air, before crossing the street heading towards Torso. Before Brian had a chance to speak, Ted did. "It's a good thing you are doing, Bri. But I can't help but wonder why."

 

Brian folded his lips inward, before deciding how to answer Ted's comment. In a rare moment of blatant honesty with the accountant, Brian answered, "Perhaps it is because, without a twist of fate, I could have been ‘him'. Or to put it simply, I owe him one."

 

Ted turned to look at Brian, then. He watched his boss- a man he had known for years- regard the rapidly disappearing form of Justin Taylor as he made his way past the furniture store towards First National Bank, which held Kinnetik's and Brian's personal accounts. "Owe him? For what? You just met him."

 

Brian shook his head. "No. We've met before, but I didn't know his name." As Ted wracked his brain to remember where Brian could have possibly met the young blond, Brian recited the line that had stuck with him since that day many months prior. "I may hustle, but I'm not a thief."

 

Ted's eyes widened, as the realization dawned on him of just who Justin Taylor was. He had been with Brian the day that his boss had run into the slight frame, knocking him back but managing to steady the younger man in what could have been a very ugly incident. He and Brian were in a rush, they were on their way to snatch up another lucrative account from one of Brian's major competitors. Michael was determined to talk their ears off about the latest episodes of his life, while Brian and Ted were trying to prepare the last-minute details of the meeting to come. The young man had picked up Brian's wallet from the ground and handed it back to him.

 

Ted remembered hearing Michael, sneeringly, remind Brian to check his wallet. But the young man- even clearly downtrodden as he was- responded with dignity and class, saying that he may hustle but he wasn't a thief while leveling a scathing glance at Michael. The stance of inbred hauteur was what had struck Ted the most. Brian had offered him money for being so honest, knowing that if it was any other hustler, his wallet would have vanished like Houdini and Brian wouldn't have been the wiser until after their meeting. The young man had declined and went about his way, head held high, never looking back.

 

Like Brian, Ted knew that Justin Taylor was no ordinary street urchin. Of course, that reality was lost on Michael, who continued to complain about the boy's nerve and how he was overstepping his boundaries. Brian had remarked that Michael had forgotten where he came from in thinking that people like the young man were beneath him. He and Brian had left Michael standing there, saying that he would meet up with them later. Ted and Brian had long ago realized that there was no use arguing with Michael Novotny-Bruckner when his mind was made up, regardless of the subject.

 

From then on, both Brian and Ted had limited their contact with Michael. Sure, they were still friends with him. But after that the times they hung out with him were few and far between. Besides the fact that Michael was engrossed in his activities within a different world than Liberty Avenue, Kinnetik was growing by leaps and bounds every day and neither Brian nor Ted had time for petty bullshit. Ted honestly couldn't say that he missed Michael... well at least not the Michael that he was today, and he didn't think that Brian did either.

 

"In that case Brian, I think he will make an excellent addition to Kinnetik's staff."

 

"Well, I really don't make bad decisions," Brian said sarcastically, causing both men to snicker. "But we do have another account to prepare for Theodore. So let's cut the idle chit-chat, and get the fuck back to work."

 

Justin headed into the bank with the check Ted had given him. Once he got to the window, he handed the teller the check along with his ID. She glanced at it and then asked him to wait. Soon after, a well-dressed man in a suit came up beside Justin and asked that he follow him into his office. Once there Justin started to tell the man that he was sent there and that the check was real, only to be silenced by the man holding up his hand.

 

"Mr Taylor, my name is Clarke Morgan, and I'm the bank president. Mr Kinney called and asked that I take care of you personally. He asked that I open a checking account for you and make sure you have your debit card and anything else you need," the older man told him.

 

Justin smiled. He had been sure they were calling security on him for trying to cash the check. He couldn't really blame them. His clothes were worn, but it was the neatest thing he had left to wear. He certainly didn't look like someone who had a home.

 

"I just thought..." Justin started, although he wasn't sure what he should say to the man.

 

Holding up his hand again he said, "Mr Taylor, I have known Mr Kinney for many years. If he trusts you and believes in you, he will also expect you to believe in yourself. To him, your past doesn't matter. Your eyes are in the front for a reason. They are there for you to always look ahead, so that your future will be what you make of it. Make it bright, young Justin, just like that smile of yours. Now let's get you what you need so that you can start spending some of this money. Another thing, if you ever have a problem here at the bank, come straight to me and I will take care of you personally."

 

"Thank you very much, Mr. Morgan. I'll remember that."

 

When Justin was finished at the bank, he headed to the store to get his phone. Once that was accomplished, he called Kinnetik as Brian had asked him to, so he could give them the number. He was surprised when Brian answered the phone, as he thought he had gotten the number for the front desk.

 

"Uhh, Mr. Kinney... uh, sir,... you wanted me to call when I got the phone," Justin stammered.

 

"Justin, relax. I don't bite. There is no need to be nervous when you speak to me. Now, did everything go alright at the bank? Did you get everything you needed there?"

 

"Yes, Sir. Mr. Morgan took care of me himself."

 

"Good. Now, I'm going to text you my cell number in case you have any problems, or questions about the apartment. Do you have any questions about anything else?"

 

"Um, no... Well yes, Sir, I do have one question. Is it alright if I use some of this money to get books or other stuff to use?" Justin questioned.

 

"Justin, that was a sign-on bonus. That money is yours, do with it whatever you want. The reason I said to use it for food and clothes was that you will need clothes for work, and relaxing. Also, there is no food in the apartment, and you may actually want to eat. Don't forget to let me know if you need anything. Be safe and go shopping," Brian answered and hung up with a smile.

 

Justin headed to the store to get a new pair of jeans and a few dressier outfits for work. He wasn't exactly sure what he would be doing, so he picked up some casual pants and a few pairs of khakis, plus some button-down shirts in several colors. He didn't want to stand out but still wanted to look decent. The last thing he wanted to do was make Brian sorry that he took a chance on him. Once he had finished getting some clothes, he stopped at the grocery store.

 

He didn't get a lot there, because he wasn't sure how much room he had in the apartment as of yet. He chuckled while realizing that he probably should have stopped there first. But he figured he would just pick up a couple of staples, and a few other things. He decided to have everything delivered in a couple of hours, that way he could stop at the art store to pick up a sketch pad and some pencils.

 

It had been so long since he had been able to draw that he was silently hoping he hadn't lost the ability. Before his life had taken this turn he was in the top of his art class and had dreams of going to school for it after high school. But his father throwing him out of the house, then having him banned from finishing the last month of high school, had derailed all the plans he had for his future. That was a moment in his life he would never forget.

 

His father had come home unexpectedly and walked in on him kissing his boyfriend Jim. He was given only 15 minutes to grab what he wanted, before being forced to leave the house forever. He had been informed later by his best friend, Daphne- the one and only time he dared to call her- that Craig had told his mother he had caught Justin touching his sister while she slept and threw him out. There was no way he could even defend himself, as Craig had successfully isolated him from everyone and everything he had ever known. And so began Justin's life as a street hustler, while life undoubtedly went on as it should have for everyone else. 

 

After Justin had gotten a few things at the art supply store, he finally headed to what he hoped would be a decent place to live. When he first saw the building, it didn't look like much from the outside. But it did have a security door, so at least it looked like he would be safe, and the area was clean, much like an upscale neighborhood, even though it was near Liberty Avenue. He pulled out the paper with the door code and punched it in, 9-4-6-2-4. Wondering if there was a way he could make it easier to remember the code, he pulled out his phone and looked at it, laughing to himself when he realized that it spelled out ‘9-inch'.

 

Well, at least I won't forget how to get in the building.

 

Once inside, he went to the door of the first-floor apartment, taking a deep breath before unlocking and pulling back the door and entering his first real home in over a year. When Justin opened the door, he couldn't help the tears that fell so fast he could barely see. There had to be some mistake. What Ted had described as a ‘small studio apartment' was an amazingly furnished, open concept, thirty by forty space. Justin was expecting something tiny; a place with an old pull out couch, a hot plate, and an efficiency bathroom.

 

Instead, what Justin saw in front of him was a truly magnificent apartment! He decided he would take his time looking around. If he was expected to live there, he needed to know where everything was. The first thing he perused was the small, but elegant kitchen. Rather than just the simple hot plate Justin envisioned, there was a full-sized, fully equipped space: granite countertops, top of the line stainless steel appliances, and solid wood cabinets.

 

Looking through the cabinets, Justin found expensive pots and pans and all the best small appliances he could ever imagine wanting. The dishes and silverware were also quality items. This kitchen truly was fully stocked! Justin couldn't wait to start cooking meals here. When he finished his inspection of the rest of the apartment, he was going to make a list of groceries he needed to pick up.

 

Past the kitchen was a wall of folding doors. Pulling them back, Justin was shocked to see a full-size washer and dryer, iron, and an ironing board. In the last section were even an exercise bike and a treadmill. On the opposite wall was a linen closet, filled almost to bursting with neatly folded sheets, blankets, and pillows. Next to that was a very large closed pocket door, which led to what Justin assumed was the bedroom.

 

Opening the door, he discovered the most inviting bedroom he had ever seen. In the center of the room was a king-sized four-poster bed, covered with a puff quilt in jewel tones of amethyst, sapphire, ruby, and emerald. In addition to the four huge bed pillows, there were decorative throw pillows in the same jewel tones placed randomly on the bed. There was also a dresser with a mirror, chest of drawers, and night tables with lamps on either side of the bed. All the furniture matched the wood of the bed.

 

In the corner of the room was a chaise covered in sapphire ultra suede with a jewel-toned throw tossed across the back and next to the chaise was a small table to hold a drink or a book. On the other side of the chaise was a walk-in closet, with a clothing rod, shelves, drawers, and a large shoe rack. Next to that was yet another pocket door. It was evident that although the apartment looked small from the outside, the inside of it had many hidden depths. He was having the most wonderful time just exploring his new surroundings.

 

When Justin opened the door, he just stood there with his mouth hanging open. Inside was the most amazing bathroom he had ever seen! The walls were covered in tiny sapphire blue glass prism tiles. Behind the vanity was an enormous mirror. There was a huge shower that had clear glass on three sides and a jetted tub that was big enough for two. The toilet was behind a half wall, which was covered in the same blue glass tiles.

 

But the most luxurious thing to Justin's eyes was that the tub, toilet, and sink, while also sapphire blue, had what looked like silver veins running through them. Where the hell had he found marble this color? he thought as he continued in his explorations. Almost hidden in the corner of the room was a linen closet filled with the softest towels he had ever felt, in the same jewel tones found in the bedroom. There was also an assortment of soaps, shampoos, and other toiletries. Justin couldn't wait until he could take a relaxing bath and then climb in that bed.

 

Walking out of the bedroom, he turned to his left and saw the living room. An overstuffed sofa and an extra-wide chair, both covered in caramel-colored Ultrasuede with peacock blue throw pillows, were placed at right angles to each other facing a large screen television. At the side of the room were massive bay windows, with a comfortable looking window seat that was covered in the same caramel Ultrasuede and adorned with more peacock blue pillows. On the opposite side of the room were shelves with a stereo system on top. Looking around the room, Justin was concerned that somehow Ted had given him the wrong key. This place looked as if it was designed with him in mind but...

 

He decided to call and check before he got too comfortable. Ted answered on the second ring.

 

"Ted Schmidt..."

 

"Ted, this is Justin Taylor. I'm... I'm at the apartment you sent me to. Are you sure this is the right place? I was prepared for a simple pull out couch and a hot plate, but this place is a veritable palace compared to my expectations," Justin stated.

 

"Brown sofa, blue pillows, black sparkly granite counters, stainless steel appliances, sparkly blue bathroom, hardwood floors, colorful puff quilt on the bed?"

 

"Yes, all of that and more!" replied the incredulous blond.

 

"Yep, that's the place. Anything else you need?"

 

"No, not at all," Justin responded in awe.

 

"Okay then. Settle in and enjoy," Ted answered before hanging up.

 

Justin hung up his phone and just stared, unbelieving of his luck in having all of this for himself. He was just hoping that after the three months were up, he would be able to afford whatever the rent was on this amazing apartment. A few minutes later, the buzzer rang with his groceries. He tipped the guy and started putting everything away. He hadn't gotten anything that really needed cooking since he hadn't known what he had in the apartment. So he made himself a sandwich and sat down at the bar. While he was eating, he made a list of things to pick up the next day so he could cook himself a nice meal.

 

When he finished, he cleaned up and decided to go soak in the tub. Justin hadn't had a tub to soak in for so long and now he had a huge one, with jets! He had downloaded some songs onto his new phone and set it on the vanity to be safe while he bathed and listened to music. After soaking for an hour and almost falling asleep in the tub, Justin got out and wrapped himself in one of the soft towels, before deciding to relax on the sofa and watch TV for a while before going to bed.

 

As he was heading to the sofa, he saw an envelope on the floor by the door. Picking it up he saw his name written on the front. "What the hell is this?" he said into the open area. Unfolding the paper he started reading:

 

Justin,

Forgot to mention a couple of things. Cable and internet are all included and installed. Cleaning service comes on Mondays. She will clean the kitchen and bathroom, change the bed, wash any laundry in the hamper, dust everything, wash all the floors, and empty the trash. If there is anything you do or don't want her to do, just leave a post-it on the kitchen counter. All of this is included in the rent.

P.S. Take out menus are in the kitchen drawer, closest to the door.

 

The note was signed with a smiley face, but no name. Justin thought the handwriting looked familiar, but couldn't remember where he'd seen it before. He figured it must be from Ted. After all, he knew the code to the door, since he had given it to Justin along with the key. He must have come by when Justin was in the tub.

 

"I really hope I make enough to keep living here after the three months is up," Justin said aloud, hoping that whatever miracle had gotten him this far would keep happening. He would try to remember to ask Ted on Monday what the rent for this apartment would be.

 

Once he had everything straightened up and he was a lot more relaxed, Justin decided to see how comfortable the bed was. Moving most of the pillows to the chaise, Justin pulled back the comforter and very expensive sheets, then slid into the bed. His last thought before quickly succumbing to sleep was that this was the most comfortable and safe he had felt in his life.

 

Justin awoke Saturday morning feeling restored, having safely slept deeply for the first time since being homeless, more than a year before. He felt refreshed and totally relaxed. Lounging in the wonderfully comfortable bed, he contemplated what he would do today. He decided the first thing he would do is head to the grocery store for the ingredients to make some delicious dinners. On second thought, he should probably go get a haircut first. He didn't want to look like a bum on his first day of work.

 

As he was leaving his apartment, he noticed a box next to the door with a note on the top. Opening the note, he saw that it was in the same handwriting as the note that had been slipped under his door the previous night.

 

Justin,

Thought you might be able to use this. It's an older model, but the software has been updated and the hard drive is new. The sign-on code for the internet is DickCockPenisShlong.

 

He laughed at the sign-on code for the internet. It was signed with the same smiley face as the previous note. Looking inside the box, he found a computer and monitor. He wanted time to be able to play around with it, so he put the box inside his apartment and left for the store before he could get sidetracked.

 

Since he had a full-sized fridge and freezer, so he also picked up some containers so he could freeze meals so he could take lunch to work. He wasn't going to spend money on eating out when he loved cooking and wanted to save up so that he would be able to afford the palace of an apartment when the time came to start paying.  

 

After chopping vegetables and seasoning the meat, Justin had put the pot roast together and set it going to simmer for a few hours. He set the alarm on his phone so he wouldn't forget to check on the food, then decided to sketch the rooms of the apartment to pass the time. Justin hadn't had the tools needed to draw in so long, he thought he would be rusty. But once he started to sketch, it all came together and looked great. There were times he got so engrossed in his art that he would not notice anything else. When the alarm went off Justin decided that he would make popovers to go with the pot roast.

 

After he had finished eating and cleaned up the kitchen, he decided to set up the computer. He had found a small desk and chair tucked away in the corner alcove that he hadn't noticed when he first looked around the apartment. Once the computer was set up, Justin typed in the code for the internet and started searching around for recipes.   


Brian was heading out to meet his friends on Saturday night. As he walked out of the elevator and headed to the front door of the building, he caught a whiff of something and paused. Damn, he thought to himself, I wonder if he cooked that, or ordered from somewhere?