- Text Size +

 

Monday morning

Monday morning brought about several changes. The first was Brian's impromptu meeting with Ted, Cynthia, Murph, and Clarice Williamson, who was the Head of Human Resources. Justin was included in the meeting. Upon submitting the boards for the campaign Kinnetik would be presenting later that afternoon, Justin was given full credit for the campaign and received a promotion, which took him from hourly employee to salaried. Although Justin had been expecting a raise, what he wasn't expecting was to be making only a little less than the current Art Director or his assistant.

 

Justin's new job title of Executive Artistic Liaison, was a specialized position created for him. He would have his own assistant, as well as an office just outside of Brian's. His main focus and purpose would be to sketch ideas put forth in the initial meetings and build the boards needed for presentations, especially those that Brian worked on directly. While Murph was still to be included in those meetings, he would be there as a representative for the Art Department; gathering information to get Justin the tools he needed to complete those campaigns. Murph knew that his position within the department wasn't threatened.

 

However, he did expect pandamonium to break out amongst the other artists. Once word got out that there had been a special position created for Justin Taylor- an unknown artist, who just last week run errands for the entire office- there would be no shortage of drama within the art department. As it was, there was discontent, through no fault of Brian's or his own; just a few people who thought they knew better than what the boss wanted. Murph voiced these thoughts to Brian aloud, and received a very curt answer in reply.

 

"I think you and I both know Murph, that if they had all done their jobs correctly the first time, there would have been no need for me to do this. In fact, I probably still wouldn't know that Justin was this good. So feel free to fire anyone who questions this change in the hierarchy. You don't owe any of them an explanation, and I'll be damned if I'll give them one."

 

Murph simply nodded his head. Brian had always been a hard, but fair employer. So, for him to take this type of stance wasn't necessarily unusual. Granted, the quality of artwork displayed shouldn't cause an uproar, and Brian was absolutely correct in saying that if they had done their jobs the first time there wouldn't be an issue. It was just that he was loathe to have to deal with the temperamental artist who had worked on this particular campaign.

 

He had been having trouble with Laura Wright since the very beginning. She always wanted to do what she wanted to do, instead of what was asked. As a result, the campaign was now Justin's. Laura wasn't going to take that easily or well. "I'll let them know that when I make the announcement, Brian. I just wanted you to be prepared."

 

Brian smirked. "Don't worry, Murph, I am. Now Justin, I need you to sit at the computer and pick out furniture. Remember you not only have carte blanche, but that will be your office. So pick the things which will inspire you to create. Cynthia, I want you to stay with Justin and walk him through the showrooms that we use. Have the contractors, if necessary, come in during the off hours tonight and tomorrow night to get the office done to Justin's specifications. I don't foresee a problem with the lighting, but I'm not an artist so I'll leave that to him. Also, I need you to order two drafting tables; one for his office and the other one portable.

 

"Ted, your job is to get the latest software in here, immediately. Justin will tell you what is needed. I won't have outdated materials being the reason that the art department hands me shit like they did on Friday night. I want all of the programs updated by no later than six pm on Thursday. Brown is due for another campaign, as are Iconix and Remson. Meanwhile, we still have twenty-three other campaigns going on at the same time, and all of the artwork needs to run on the same network so that Justin can do his job properly. As for you Clarice, I need you to call the agency to have qualified applicants for Personal Assistant sent over. Cynthia can help Justin choose the one that would best suit his needs."

 

"I would kind of like another Cynthia, or we could just share her," Justin piped up.

 

Brian laughed. "I don't share my toys or my woman, Blondie. You have to get your own." His comment caused everyone in the conference room to laugh, since many times Cynthia had been termed as Brian's work-wife or his hetero main-squeeze. Like it or not, she was his and had been since the days of Ryder Advertising, where they both started. He wasn't ever giving her up.

 

"Oh fine, Brian. Since you're not willing to share, will you at least allow Cynthia to train the newcomer?"

 

"Sure, as long as it doesn't interfere with what she does for me."

 

"Then you have a deal, Sir."

 

The room became still in that moment. Although brief, the silent communication happening between Brian and Justin was not lost on any of the conference room occupants. No one said anything, but there was a distinct crackle in the air following the word ‘Sir,' regardless of how professional Justin made the word sound.

 

"We've talked about this, Justin," Brian scolded gently. "I'm just Brian. No need for formality. You'll get used to it."

 

Having a little difficulty breathing as Brian's voice slid over his nerve endings, Justin shivered a little. What the fuck is happening to me? he thought. Swallowing hard before speaking, he said, "No problem... Brian... I'm just used to saying ‘Sir' or ‘Madam' when the situation warrants it. I'll do better, I promise."

 

"Don't worry about it. I'm sure it will become natural to you the more you call me Brian. In the meantime, I think that it's time that you really take a look at your new office. The rest of you, get to work. Time is money, which is exactly why you're broke."

 

They all rolled back from the large white table in the center of the room, intent on beginning their day. As the others exited the room, Brian remained seated, willing his sudden erection to decrease. He had never heard the word ‘Sir' sound so erotic in all his jaded life. There were times and instances where Brian had heard the word, both spoken or screamed in ecstasy, but nothing prepared him for the way he felt after Justin said it. It had been happening more and more frequently since last week. He wasn't sure if he liked it or not. But he had to put a stop to it before he did something to embarrass himself... and Justin.

 

Justin and Cynthia spent the next hour selecting and ordering furniture for Justin's new office. Every once in a while she had to tap his arm to get an answer to her questions. Justin was having a difficult time wrapping his head around the fact that, in just one week, he had gone from being a homeless hustler to being Executive Artistic Liaison at the best advertising agency on the east coast. When the furniture ordering was complete, Justin looked at his office space with a critical eye, deciding exactly what needed to be done for him to work and live up to the position Brian had created for him. He was determined to live up to, and hopefully even exceed, the faith Brian had in his abilities. As Justin was finishing up his sketches for the contractors for the few minor changes he wanted in his office, Cynthia came in and told him that they would begin interviewing for his assistant in the morning.

 

When he was finished for the day Justin headed out to the bus stop, happy at all he had accomplished. He was sitting on the bench waiting for the bus when Brian's jeep pulled up and the door was thrown open. Behind the jeep an annoyed bus driver was laying on his horn.

 

"Get in, before I get in a fight with a pissed off bus driver," Brian shouted over the blaring horn.

 

Justin quickly got up and climbed into the jeep, barely getting the door closed before his boss pulled out into traffic.

 

"Do you like Italian? We're celebrating your new job. I would have told you earlier, but I was in meetings and then you left before I could find you," Brian told the stunned blond.

 

"Yes, I like Italian, but you don't have to do this Brian. You have already done so much for me. I can barely get my head around all the changes in my life in just the last week. I've gone from being a homeless hustler to having a beautiful apartment and an amazing job, all because of you."

 

Brian didn't know why, but he really enjoyed spending time with Justin. The younger man was funny, charming, intelligent, and not afraid to give his opinion. He had his own mind, and wouldn't just agree to placate someone else, even his boss. Brian admired that. Driving across town, Brian took Justin to a small, family run Italian restaurant he had found one day when he was looking to be alone. He was really hoping to find out more about the young man he had hired.

 

The place was pretty full for a weeknight, and Brian decided that due to there being so many people there he would wait to ask about Justin's past when there was more privacy. The last thing he wanted to do was embarrass or upset the young man. Dinner was enjoyable; the conversation interesting, and at times, lively. They talked about books they had read, current events, and their likes and dislikes. After dinner, Justin refused dessert. But Brian had seen Justin's face when the next table had ordered a cheesecake. So when he paid the check, he asked the waiter to wrap up a cheesecake to go. The drive home was made in comfortable silence with Justin occasionally humming along to the radio.

 

Brian parked the car around the back of the building, and showed Justin where the back door was. He said, "Just in case you need to avoid the front door for any reason," Brian didn't elaborate and Justin didn't ask.

 

When they were inside the vestibule Brian held up the box and asked, "So how about some coffee and cheesecake?"

 

"Sure. Come on in. I just picked up an assortment of pods for the coffee maker. I figured I'd try different ones to see what I like," Justin answered, not sure why he was so happy that Brian didn't seem to want their evening to end either.

 

Once inside, Brian took off his jacket and tie, making himself comfortable on the sofa, just wanting to relax. He felt surprisingly comfortable with Justin, and was more than happy to continue their evening. Justin turned on the coffee maker and asked Brian if he had a preference in coffee.

 

"Something strong, but different. Surprise me," He told Justin with a smile, trusting that his favorite ‘coffee fetcher' would get it right.

 

While he was waiting, Brian saw a sketchpad on the table and asked Justin if he could look at it. Justin nodded and Brian began to peruse the sketches.

 

"These are amazing, Justin! Damn, you really are very talented."

 

"Thanks. It's just something I do to relax. I just draw whatever pops into my head."

 

Brian had seen a couple of sketches of himself in there, and had to refrain from asking Justin how often he popped into the blond's head.

 

A few minutes later, Justin came into the living room, with two steaming mugs of coffee and two slices of cheesecake on a tray. Setting it down on the coffee table, Justin handed Brian his mug.

 

"I hope I got the sugar right, Boss," Justin smiled.

 

Taking a sip of the steaming liquid, Brian groaned. "This is heaven, and the sugar is just perfect. What kind of coffee is this?"

 

"It's called Mahogany, and one of my favorites," the blond told him. Just as he was settling himself to take a sip, Justin's intercom buzzed as if someone was intentionally leaning on it.

 

"Are you expecting someone?" Brian asked, hoping for a negative answer.

 

"No one knows I live here, so no," Justin said, getting up to answer and stop the annoying noise.

 

"Yes, may I help you?" Justin said into the intercom.

 

"My best friend lives on the top floor. Let me in," was the whining reply he got.

 

Glancing at Brian, who was trying not to wince at the voice from device, Justin answered, "Well then, ring his bell, and not mine,"

 

"He's not answering! So let me in!"

 

"No. I don't know you, and if he's not answering, then he's probably not at home,"

 

"Let me in and I'll wait for him,"

 

"Like I said, NO. Now go away, I'm not letting you in." With that Justin turned off the volume on his intercom, and rejoined Brian on the sofa. "Did I put enough sugar in your coffee?" Justin asked as if the last few minutes hadn't even happened.

 

"Yes, it's perfect, thank you," Brian smiled, before continuing. "Justin, I'm not trying to intrude and you don't have to answer if you don't want to, but you seem like you grew up in a good place. How did you end up where you did?"

 

Knowing instinctively that he could trust Brian, Justin decided to open up about his past. He had never told anyone before- not even his best friend, who he had been warned to stay away from- even though he knew that she would have supported him throughout it all. But he had done as Craig commanded, except for that one call, and had not seen or spoken to her in over a year. He often wondered how she was doing. But still, he just couldn't take the chance of her getting into trouble because of him.

 

"Well, a little over a year ago I was at home after school studying with a guy I liked, while everyone was out. We started making out and all, but I didn't know that my father had arrived home early. We were in my room and my door was shut, when all of a sudden, my door flew open and my father was standing there. When he saw us, his face turned red and he was beyond furious. He screamed at Jim to get the fuck out, and told him that if he ever saw him again, he would tell his parents what he had seen. Needless to say, Jim ran out of there like his hair was on fire. Then my father got real quiet, and began breathing really deep. He looked at me like I was the most vile and disgusting thing he'd ever seen. He took out his phone and told me to give him my bank card with my pin number. He put the info in and changed the pin. Then he told me I had fifteen minutes to pack whatever I could carry, and disappear. He said he was going to tell my mother that he caught me touching my little sister while she slept; that if he ever saw me again, he would call the police and have me arrested for molesting her. Then he slammed my door and went downstairs," Justin stated sadly, taking a deep breath before continuing.

"I grabbed what I could and put it in my backpack and the duffel bag I'd always carried with me. Luckily, I had about three thousand dollars in cash hidden my room so at least I would have something. I knew it wouldn't last long, but at least I wouldn't starve. I walked down the stairs, and he said that if I dared to contact anyone he knew, I would be arrested. That also included my best friend, Daphne. He told me that he would have people watching to be sure I did what he wanted, and then he said that I was dead to him. I walked out and that's the last time I saw my home. After that, I slept in the park, or the bus station; wherever I could. A few months later, I fell asleep too deeply and when I woke up all the rest of my money and most of my possessions were gone. I learned to never go all the way to sleep after that. A couple of days later, some old guy in the park said he would pay me if I let him blow me. And well, I hadn't eaten in a few days so I said okay. I felt so disgusted with myself after that. I only did that kind of stuff when I was desperate. The only thing I never did was let anyone fuck me. I didn't care about anything else, but I wasn't doing that. It was the only thing I had left," Justin told the last part while looking down at his lap and clenching his hands, feeling disgusted with himself all over again. "Are you sorry you hired me now?"

 

"No, Justin. Not at all. In fact, I'm proud of you. You are a good person. What you did, you did as a means of survival. All I wish is that I'd hired you sooner," Brian answered, amazed at the resilience of this young man. Many of the adults he knew wouldn't have been able to survive the streets for two hours, let alone a year. It spoke a lot about Justin's character. "Well now, on to more pleasant subjects. Did you find everything you needed for your office? And did you also let Cynthia know what changes need to be made?" Brian asked, smiling at the young man who seemed more amazing to him every day.

 

"Yes, I found everything I need, and I left sketches and measurements for the contractors. There were only a few minor changes I needed made. I also gave Ted a detailed list of the new programs needed for the art department," Justin answered, grateful for the easy change of subject. "This cheesecake is delicious, I think I'll try making one this weekend to see if I can do as well. I hope you'll try it, and give me your opinion,"

 

"Sounds like a plan. You'll have to be really good though, since they make the best cheesecake in this whole town," Brian said with a grin.

 

"Challenge accepted, Boss," Justin answered Brian with a smile.

 

Random conversation followed as they each finished their cheesecake and coffee. Finally, Brian realized it was getting late, and they both had early meetings in the morning.

 

"Well Justin, I should get going. I have an early meeting scheduled tomorrow. What time is your first interview?"

 

"Eight-thirty, and thanks for reminding me. I need to check the bus schedule, it would be very bad form for me to be late to the interview,"

 

"I'm going in at the same time. So I'll meet you at the jeep at eight o'clock,"

 

"You don't have to do that, Brian. I don't want to put you out,"

 

"Justin, we are going to the same place at the same time. How would you be putting me out? Be at the jeep at eight. Boss' order," Brian told him with a smile as he headed for the door.

 

The next morning Justin made sure he was already waiting when Brian came out. He certainly didn't want to take advantage of the man's kindness by making him wait.  

 

"Wow, you almost look like you have a real job, Taylor," Brian teased as he saw Justin waiting by the jeep.

 

Justin dressed up with a jacket and tie because he and Cynthia would be interviewing candidates today for the position of Justin's assistant. He wanted to look professional. "Do you think it's too much?" Justin questioned, now worried that he should have stuck to his previous casual attire.

 

"Not at all. I was just teasing. You look very nice in a jacket and tie," Brian complimented.

 

The ride to the office was quiet with Justin humming along to the radio. Once inside, both men went to their offices to prepare for the day. Cynthia came in about ten minutes later and asked Justin where he would like to do the interviews.

 

"Use my office. I will be in meetings until at least noon," Brian interrupted.

 

"Thank you, Brian," Justin said as he looked at his watch. "I'll be right back." The blond said as he quickly exited the building.

 

Brian and Cynthia just looked at each other and shrugged, each getting started with their normal morning routines. Five minutes later, Justin came rushing back into Brian's office with an extra large coffee.

 

"I figured you could use this, and I don't know when I'll have time to go get it once the interviews start," Justin said, slightly out of breath.

 

"You do know that you no longer have to get coffee for me Justin, don't you?" Brian told him, smiling and thankful for Justin's thoughtfulness.

 

"But you never said that I couldn't. And I figured with your meetings this morning, you could probably use a cup,"

 

Justin hadn't told Brian, but one of the things he had ordered when he ordered his office furniture was a pod coffee maker, the same model he had at home, and an assortment of coffees to go with it.

 

Brian headed to the board room to begin his meetings, as Cynthia and Justin made themselves comfortable within Brian's office.

 

Meanwhile, Murph had called a meeting of the Art Department staff to announce the changes that would be made, both in staffing and in the advanced programs that they would be getting, which would hopefully make everyone's job easier. The first one to show up for the meeting, unfortunately for Murph, was Laura Wright, the artist who had submitted the wholly unusable boards for the new account. Walking in and sitting down like she owned the place, Laura sulked until the others had joined the meeting before she groused, "Where the hell is that useless gopher that was hired? The least he could do is to go get coffee, if we have to sit here through another pointless meeting,"

 

"Well Laura, since you asked, Justin has been promoted. He is now the Executive Artistic Liaison. At Mr. Kinney's request, he redid the boards that were wholly unacceptable. And had them finished and perfect within only an hour of seeing them. So now, Mr Kinney has promoted him,"

 

"What the fuck is this shit?!" Laura slammed her sketch pad down on the table, startling everyone at the meeting. "How could some position be created within Kinnetik for an unknown wannabe when the rest of us have been working our asses off here for years?"

 

Murph rolled his eyes at her outburst. When Laura said ‘us' she was really talking about herself. In her mind, she should have advanced far enough to have his job, which, in lieu of the mediocre work she produced, was absolute bullshit. "Look, I know that you are upset, Laura. But the fact remains that Mr. Kinney has made his decision, as is his right as the owner of the company. And unlike all of you, Mr. Taylor has the ability to sketch on the fly. You, as well as the rest of us- myself included- prefer to have time to develop our ideas into a comprehensive presentation. Justin has the same capabilities we all have, but with that something extra which will continue to advance Kinnetik as a leader in the industry.

 

"Now if any... and I mean ANY of you have a problem with how management has decided to utilize Justin Taylor's talents, then I will happily call security to have you escorted from the building, and your severance check will be mailed to you. This particular discussion is over!" Murph announced.

 

He watched with satisfaction as many of the staff sunk down into their chairs, never having heard their low-keyed Art Director raise his voice in anger. But Laura Wright was just as determined to make her point. "You don't have the authority to fire any of us. If you did, you would have utilized it by now. So stop with the theatrics, and tell me when the meeting for my campaign is,"

 

Murph smiled at the haughty tone emitting from the mouth that never shut the fuck up. With Laura it was always some complaint or argument, in which she thought that if she whined enough or yelled, she would automatically get her way. As far as he was concerned, this was a distinct disadvantage to being in an upper-class family, even if she hadn't been born into it. They felt that everything should be handed to them on a silver fucking platter! Well, he would now take great pleasure in disabusing her notions of entitlement.

 

"You don't have to worry about that meeting Laura, or the meeting with the Bartiers. You deliberately did what you wanted to do on a campaign worth millions. Using your mediocre designs could have cost us that very lucrative contract. So Brian had the campaign redone in its entirety. That is what got Justin Taylor promoted. And Justin will also be doing the artwork for Bartier Modular Homes."

 

"What are you talking about?! I brought the Bartiers into this company! Without my endorsement, Kinnetik wouldn't even be a blip on their radar,"

 

"Whatever your thoughts and opinions about your own self-importance, they have no bearing on the fact that you're out. Had you followed the specific instructions on the campaign, this conversation either wouldn't be happening, nor would it be a moot point. Our Executive Artistic Liaison will be sitting in on that meeting because he actually did the artwork, using the specs given and he made it much better than your ‘original' design. Any further issue and you can take it up with the Boss. I warn you though... while you are meeting with Brian, I will be having your things packed and they will be waiting for you at the security desk when you are finished. I will also make sure to have every code and low-level clearance you have within the database wiped clean. Am I understood, Laura?"

 

Murph watched her as she weighed her options carefully. He knew all about her supposed influence with the Bartier family. She was the fiance of their son and heir. But there was also another piece of that puzzle which she didn't think anyone knew. While she was keeping Glenn Bartier at bay, lauding that she was a virgin and wanted to wait until marriage to have sex, she was fucking up a storm with his father, Harlan. If she wasn't careful, that bit of news could destroy all her dreams and schemes to improve her own status within the WASP nest. He knew when she had reached the same conclusions that he had. 

 

"Yeah Murph, you're understood. But this isn't over," Laura sneered. And to her, it wasn't. She would find out everything she could about this Justin Taylor, and then little-by-little discredit him. There is no way he's... no that's not possible, or is it? she thought. But no matter, by the time she was through with him, no one would even allow him to sell bubblegum for a living! In the meantime, it was in her best interest to keep quiet, but most of all, be watchful. Yes...Blondie's days at the top are certainly numbered.

 

********************************

 

By Tuesday morning, Michael was at his wits end. Every single thing he had tried to get in touch with Brian had been for nothing! Michael had even gone so far as to lean on the buzzer of a stranger's door in an effort to be let into the building. He really missed the days when there was an actual physical key, which would afford him unlimited access to Brian's loft regardless of whether he was home or not. He fondly remembered the days of walking into Brian's loft and waiting for many minutes while watching him finish off a trick; remembered his own body's response to seeing and hearing the free porno in the form of Brian Kinney's sex life.

 

But more than that, he missed being able to come and go as he pleased, missed being a part of Brian's everyday existence. Sure, Michael had moved on from Liberty Avenue and all its limitations, or fanciful notions of freedom to be gay without reservation. Being in a different area- a more affluent neighborhood of fellow LGBT people- had shown Michael that the world was bigger than Liberty Avenue, and that the place where he grew up was a hinderance to their cause of equality as a whole. Liberty Avenue was just about celebrating the stereotypes that all heteros thought of gays. Nevermind that his own mother had grown up in an era where ‘free love' was lauded, regardless of the gender.

 

That wasn't what was important. According to Tannis, Monty, Eli, and a new member of their group, gay people had to be better than the stereotypes. They had to work harder, and play less. They had to fight for their rights, while denying what society has labeled them as. Michael believed them, and he wanted to share all of his newfound ‘enlightenment' with his best friend.

 

But Brian was always too busy- or so it seemed.

 

There were many times that Brian had insulted his new friends, calling them pretentious and anal-retentive, or the ‘happy homos with a hard-on for heteronormative ideals'. In other words, Brian was being his normal sarcastic self while in the presence of powerful people. And the others, including his own mother, had agreed with Brian. They just didn't understand why Michael had wanted to become a part of their group so badly that he started changing to suit them... or so he had been told. But Michael didn't see it that way.

 

He saw it as him and Ben moving toward the future they wanted. Making the right connections that would enhance their lives and Ben's career. Finally, he had friends, and even though most of the issues they talked about went over his head sometimes, they still tried to include him. It was just what Michael had needed when he and Ben had decided that Liberty Avenue couldn't be their home any longer. Based on Brian's point of view, it was Michael who had made the decision to stop inviting his old friends to mix with his new friends. It was obvious that they all didn't get along, and Brian didn't even try to pretend for Michael's sake.

 

In turn, life on Liberty Avenue had seemed to go on without him, as well. They never really called him to go out with them, or to see how he was doing anymore. Granted, he was busy a lot when they would call, having a dinner party to give or to go to, or being active with some fundraiser or another. There were also faculty functions that Ben had that Michael needed to be a part of as Ben's partner. He really was busy, but he never thought that he and Brian would lose touch. Michael still expected Brian to be there whenever he wanted to go out, and it annoyed him to no end when he wasn't. He missed his best friend!

 

Originally, Michael had thought that Brian would fit in nicely with the group of successful and educated gays Ben had introduced him to. When Michael had brought it up to Brian, Kinnetik was still pretty much a start-up company, and from Michael's perspective wasn't making much money. Also, Brian's lifestyle choices were not the best in Michael's eyes, and he thought that the best way to lure Brian into the fold was to set him up on a few dates with the affluent men he was meeting through Ben. There were two that Michael thought would have been perfect for Brian, if only he would give them a chance. In Michael's mind, he could have the best of both worlds.

 

He wouldn't have to sacrifice his friendship with Brian if the man would change and grow up. Brian had told Michael to stop trying to run his life when he wasn't even running his own; Ben was. Of course, Michael thought that Brian was kidding and decided that if he could lead by example, Brian would follow suit so that they could remain friends. All Brian needed was guidance, and Michael could give him that, at least that's what Monty and Eli had told him. Tannis told Michael that he was better off ditching the likes of Brian Kinney regardless of the man's financial success.

 

To her, Brian was still an embarrassment to the gay community, and should be shunned as such. Michael decided to keep trying, deciding that Tannis didn't really know Brian, so she couldn't see what an asset he would be to have on their side of gay rights. He had also hoped that by returning to Liberty Avenue occasionally, and modeling the way gays were supposed to act in public, would have made Brian want to emulate him and Ben. He envisioned that it would cause his best friend to desire to finally fit in, instead of standing out all the time. But first, he had to actually find Brian and then talk with him to make him see what he had decided was the best for him.

 

Michael rang the bell at Mel and Lindsay's, hoping they were home and would know something about why Brian had been acting differently. Brian hardly wanted to go out to Woody's and Babylon lately... well, that is, when Michael had decided he had time to go. Then there was the situation that when Michael went by the loft on several occasions, Brian was either not at home, or he just didn't answer the bell. He had tried the first floor apartment a few times, but the guy who answered had refused to let him into the building. No one answered any of the other bells.

 

"Michael, what are you doing here?" Lindsay questioned.

 

"I wanted to know if you've talked to Brian recently? I know he has been to the club a few times, because I've asked the bartenders. But lately when I call to tell him I want to go out, he either doesn't answer his phone, or the door, or he says he's busy with work. Then I've gone by the loft and he's not there. The only one who ever answers the bell is whoever lives on the first floor, and he refuses to let me into the building. I have to find a way to get the code to get into the building. I don't know why the owner changed it from a regular lock."

 

"Well, how about we head over there Saturday? If Brian doesn't answer, maybe I can get whoever it is to let me in. Or at least, maybe we'll be able to find out something about where Brian has been. Does he still head to the gym on Saturdays?" Lindsay asked.

 

"Yeah, that he always does,"


"Okay, I'll borrow a car and wait near the loft. If he goes out, I'll follow him. If not, then we'll get him to answer the door,"