- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Eric and Brian travel up to Toronto for Mel's birthday to make an announcement.

“Stop vibrating.”

 

Eric turns to send a playful glare his husband’s way.

 

“And stop waiting at the door like a puppy waiting for its owner to come home.”

 

Rolling his eyes at the sarcastic comment, Eric bounds over to the couch and jumps on Brian, “How would you know? We’ve never had a dog.”

 

Brian looks at him with raised eyebrows but says nothing more. Eric lets himself smile.

 

“I’m just excited to tell her,” he admits as he lies down, head in Brian’s lap, to stare at the ceiling.

 

“I can tell,” Brian murmurs, amused, as he runs his fingers through Eric’s curls, “I doubt she will be able to keep it a secret until we tell everyone tomorrow though. Lily is not known for her silence. Especially when she’s excited about something. She told me everything she and Margaret were going to do this morning. Four times.”

 

“But she also knows when something’s important. It will make her feel grown up and responsible if we trust her with that information and tell her first.”

 

Eric feels Brian shift in his seat before turning his head to look up at him.

 

“She will be the first one to know, right?”

 

Brian winces ever so slightly, “Almost.”

 

Eric sits up and looks Brian in the eye, “Who did you tell?”

 

Brian looks away and lets out a sigh, “I told Justin when we met for lunch. And before you get pissy about it, I mainly told him because he’s been upset about the whole starting a family situation. Or not starting a family. Whatever. Regardless, I didn’t want him to get upset or jealous or depressed about it when we made the announcement.”

 

Eric thinks on it. On the one hand, he is a little pissed about it. Brian should have at least told him he was going to tell Justin. And there is a part of him that might be a little pissed at Brian because it’s Justin. Eric likes Justin. He likes him a lot. But it’s Justin. If it had been Emmett or Michael that Brian had told, he would just roll his eyes, call Brian a blabber mouth, and that would be that.

 

But then Eric has to roll his eyes at himself. He’s being dumb and probably a little jealous. Brian’s become close with Justin but Justin seems to respect their relationship greatly and Eric knows Brian loves him. So he forces himself to get over it.

 

“You know, I get it,” Eric admits, “I get that he’s having a rough time and might not deal with that kind of surprise well, even if he would most likely keep it to himself. I guess I’m just disappointed that you got to tell someone when I’ve been dying to tell Rick.”

 

“You can,” Brian tells him, “You can call him right now. I don’t mind.”

 

But Eric shakes his head, “Nope. I can contain my unbearable excitement better than you can.”

 

Eric winks at his husband and Brian scoffs, “Yeah, okay. I wasn’t waiting by the door practically dancing in place but I’m the one who is unbearably excited.”

 

“Of course you are. We’re having a baby,” Eric says simply.

 

Brian’s eyes unexpectedly soften as he presses a kiss against Eric’s lips, “Why did you want to tell Lily first so badly?”

 

“Because she’s our best friend. Our short, annoying, sassy, spoiled, strange, and adorable best friend.”

 

Brian laughs at that, “One Michael is enough, thanks.”

 

Eric thinks on the description then laughs, “She’s so much better than Michael and you know it.”

 

“Shhh, don’t tell him.”

 

“Yes, we wouldn’t want to make him jealous,” Eric agrees good-naturedly then sobers up, “I want her to know because she is the one who will be around the baby as much as we will. She deserves to know before we make a huge announcement. As cute as it would be for them to see her initial reaction, they don’t get to. That’s for us.”

 

“Always the selfish one, aren’t you?” Brian smirks.

 

Before Eric can reply, they hear the front door unlocking. Eric jumps up, standing, as they wait for Jess to open the door.

 

“-and Margaret got grape juice all over her so her daddy had to change her clothes,” Lily told Jess in a serious but excited voice, “It was crazy!”

 

“That Margaret,” Jess tsks, playing along, “Looks like someone decided to come home early to see you.

 

Lily turns to look in the living room and gasps with glee.

 

“Papa!!!” Lily calls out as she runs over into his arms, “You’re home!”

 

“I am home!” He confirms, putting his hands on her little shoulders in an attempt to get her to stop hopping.

 

“I’m home too,” Brian points out.

 

“Yes, you’re home but you were here this morning when I got up,” Lily explains offhandedly before directing her attention back to Eric.

 

“I feel so loved,” Brian sighs sadly, looking off into the distance.

 

“What are we gonna do today?” Lily asks as she starts to brainstorm, “Are we gonna go to the zoo or the pool or the park or the-”

 

“We’re both back early because we’re going to Toronto tomorrow.”

 

Lily gasps and jumps up and down, “We’re going to see JR?!”

 

“Yes,” Eric answers.

 

“We’re going to see Gus?! He was just here not that long ago!” Lily exclaims, as if she were shocked that they would go up and see him when he just finished up his two week stay not even a week before.

 

“Yes, he’ll be there too,” Eric confirms, amused, all while Brian is whispering something in Jess’s ear and seeing her out the door.

 

“And we’ll see-”

 

“Go sit down on the couch,” Brian interrupts as he reaches down to put a hand on her back, “We need to talk to you about something.”

 

Lily turns her head to quickly look back and forth between her fathers and gets wide-eyed.

 

Then she asks in a small voice, “Am I in trouble?”

 

Brian snorts as he pulls her over to sit down next to him, “Why? Did you do something you should be in trouble for?”

 

Lily looks up at him with her worried dark brown eyes.

 

“No! I swear! I’ve been good all day!”

 

Lily turns, quickly sits on her feet, and brushes her curls out of her face, quickly getting down to business, “Now...what did you need to talk to me about?”

 

Eric narrows his eyes at her suspiciously, “Lily…”

 

“What, Papa?” Lily asks innocently.

 

Eric studies her for a few seconds before picking her up so she’s sitting properly once more, “You’re wearing the nice shoes Daddy bought you. It was muddy this morning. You know what I’ve said about wearing your nicer shoes outside.”

 

“But Papa!” Lily explodes, ditching her innocent demeanor, “They are so beautiful and I had to show them to Margaret! Just look at them!”

 

Lily pops her feet into Eric’s lap to show him her beautiful purple dress sandals, complete with pearls lining the straps. Brian had taken Lily to work two days ago because she had been begging to come with him to help for at least a month. His husband had waited for a day with no meetings scheduled to bring her in and she had been so good that Brian felt she should be rewarded with a shopping trip at some children’s boutique where he spent way too much on her as a result. Eric told Brian he was spoiling her but Brian had just shrugged and said he wanted his daughter to be on top of the trends.

 

As soon as Eric finishes staring down at his daughter’s feet, he closes his eyes and shakes his head as he hears Brian stifling a laugh. Lily had to have gotten her stubborn and ornery behavior from his husband because Eric doesn’t remember being like her when he was four. Granted, he doesn’t remember a lot from that age. Mainly he remembers George breaking his model train set and Eric had thrown a fit because, at the time, it felt like the end of the world as he knew it.

 

“-and that’s why I had to wear these shoes!” Lily finishes passionately as Eric catches the last half of her sentence.

 

“Yeah, Eric. You don’t want her to not be the most fashionable four year old on the playground,” Brian insists as Lily nods vigorously, crawling over to Brian’s arms as if she feels like it’ll be two against one that way.

 

“Well...they’re clean. You didn’t get them dirty so I guess it’s fine. But those are only for certain days, like when we go out to dinner or something, okay?”

 

Lily purses her lips and nods grimly, “...Okay.”

 

“But that wasn’t what we wanted to talk to you about,” Eric tells her, changing the subject.

 

He and Brian make eye contact over Lily’s head and Brian nudges Lily so that she’s off his lap and sitting back in between them.

 

“Well, I didn’t do any other things that are bad,” Lily huffs.

 

“It’s not about you being in any kind of trouble,” Brian asks, amused, “It’ about something more permanent.”

 

“Perman-en? What’s that mean?” Lily asks curiously.

 

“Permanent.” Brian enunciates slowly, “It means forever.”

 

“Oh. Okay. What’s going to be happening for forever?”

 

He and Eric glance at each other again and Brian nods to let Eric to take over.

 

“Daddy and I made some arrangements. We decided that we wanted to add to our family.”

 

“We’re getting a puppy?!?!” Lily squeals as she hops up to her feet and jumps up and down.

 

“Not quite,” Brian tells her as he shakes his head, “You’re getting a brother or sister. Congratulations.”

 

Brian winks at her as Lily’s eyes go wide and she stands absolutely still.

 

“...Lily?” Eric asks, slightly concerned at his daughter’s frozen state.

 

Then, in a delayed reaction, Lily makes the highest and loudest excited scream that either of them have ever heard from her.

 

Eric sees Brian wince at the sound as they both cover their ears until she stops.

 

“I’m so excited!!!! I’m-I’m-I’m-”

 

“Going to be a big sister,” Eric finishes with a smile.

 

“But is it a boy or a girl?” Lily asks eagerly as she starts to pace the floor, “I really think it should be a girl, Papa. I think Daddy thinks so too. It should be a girl ‘cause I can talk to her about stuff better and dress her up.”

 

“We don’t know if it is going to be a boy or a girl yet,” Brian admits, “We won’t know for another couple of weeks.”

 

“Actually, it’ll be longer because your Daddy is waiting to find out until I get back from New Orleans,” Eric says pointedly as he looks at Brian, “Seriously, no finding out without me.”

 

“And if I do?” Brian challenges good-naturedly.

 

“Papa, he can just send you an email,” Lily points outs, exasperated, “We have to find out as soon as we can. We just HAVE to.”

 

Eric chuckles and takes Lily’s hand to bring her over closer, “Maybe I’ll reschedule some things so that I can fly back for a couple of days and we can find out sooner.”

 

Lily nods her head vigorously, “Yes, you must do that. You just must.”

 

Soon enough, Lily is dancing around the room, calling it her excited big sister dance, and Brian and Eric just watch the energetic oddball move at lightening speed.

 

“She’s so weird,” Eric mutters to Brian as Lily does a somersault.

 

“I just want to know who told her that was dancing. So much for the classes.”

 

Eric lightly smacks his husband on the arm, “Stop it. She can dance. She’s just too excited to right now.”

 

Lily suddenly stops dancing and turns around. For a second, Eric’s worried that she heard the potentially insulting banter but then she exclaims, “I have to call Duncan and tell him! Daddy, you call Emmett so that I can talk to Duncan on FaceTime. I have to tell him right now.”

 

“No telling Duncan,” Brian tells her, “No telling anyone.”

 

Lily’s eyes go wide and her lip wobbles, “But...But why not?”

 

Eric sighs and goes over to kneel down in front of her, “Because no one else knows yet. You’re the first person we’ve told. We wanted you to know first because you are about to be a big sister and that’s a huge responsibility. So that’s why we are all going to Toronto this weekend. It’s Aunt Mel’s birthday so everyone is coming in and that will be a good time to make the announcement and maybe you and I can go see Uncle Rick and Aunt Sally in DC to tell them after I’m back home. Think you can hold out for a day or two and keep it a secret?”

 

Lily holds her head up high and nods with purpose, “Yes, Papa. I can keep a secret. Better than anyone.”

 

As Brian snickers at Lily’s solemn statement, Eric nods back, “I trust you, baby.”

 

“I’m not a baby,” Lily reminds him, “I’m a big sister now.”

 

Eric smiles and feels his eyes crinkle, “That you are.”

 

“And I’ll be the best big sister in the whole wide world!” Lily exclaims, “But I will keep it a secret because I’m a big girl and I know how.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------

“I can’t tell you,” Lily says to Duncan with pursed lips and bright and excited eyes, “But it rhymes with schmaybe.”

 

“Lily,” Eric warns her quietly as they step forward in line to check in their luggage. Glancing ahead, he can see that Brian, Emmett, and Drew didn’t hear the exchange between the four year olds. Not that it would be the end of the world if they did. But he just wanted to make one announcement to everyone at the right time.

 

“What? I didn’t even tell him!” Lily insists as she puts her hands on her hips.

 

“Just zip it, alright? No hints and no talking about it. Once everyone knows you can talk about it to your heart’s content.”

 

Lily groans and throws herself against her papa’s leg, “But it’s so hard to zip it when I want to shout it at the whole airport!”

 

Eric sighs and pets her hair as she moans her disappointment into his hip.

 

“I guess we’ll have to put you between me and Daddy on the plane ride so you aren’t tempted then.”

 

Lily looks up at him in pain, “But Duncan-”

 

“Will be there all weekend and around when you get home.”

 

Lily shakes her head, looks at him with heartbroken and honest eyes, and takes a step back, “This is going to be the boringest time of my life.”

 

Eric stifles a laugh, “Sorry to hear that sitting next to your parents is such torture.”

 

Lily looks away from him and stares longingly at Duncan, who is currently unzipping his backpack to take out his stuffed bear, “Fine. But you owe me for this.”

 

Lily stomps back to her friend to spend the precious amount of time she has left with him as Eric stares at her in wonder. He really doesn’t know where half of the shit that comes out of her mouth comes from.

 

“Remember to zip your bag back up, baby!” Emmett calls out to his son after he turns his head to check on him, “Is he behaving, Eric?”

 

“He’s a little angel. The other one? Not so much,” Eric drawls.

 

“Oh honey, what did you expect? Half of the influence in her life comes from Brian Kinney,” Emmett says, as if he is softly breaking the news of something Eric didn’t know.

 

Brian comes back to his side to usher Duncan back to his parents when they are close to the front of the line. As a group, they step forward and get their luggage checked in.

 

“You sure that is enough for a month?” Brian asks sarcastically as they start to load Eric’s many bags onto the scale.

 

“Probably not. I may have you send me a few things.”

 

Brian’s annoyed expression when he realizes that Eric isn’t joking is priceless but there is a hint of worry there.

 

“You going to miss me?” Eric asks as they make their way through first class security.

 

“Don’t see why I would. We’re going to the same place,” Brian tells him, looking straight ahead.

 

“I mean when we part ways for a month at the end of the weekend.”

 

Brian says nothing before he shrugs, “Figure I’ll see you eventually.”

 

Eric rolls his eyes at Brian’s faked nonchalance, “Well, I am going to try to book a flight back for the sixteen week checkup. It’ll be a short visit but I think I can swing a couple of days away.”

 

Brian shrugs but somehow seems a little lighter as they go through the checkpoint to board the plane. Then he turns to him, as if he is remembering something.

 

“You are still good on the sitter for Lily while she goes down there for a week?”

 

“Yeah, Marcus’s daughters don’t start the new semester until September 8th and decided to take the opportunity to explore New Orleans. They’ll be watching her in the morning and afternoon. They’re 20 so they’re both old enough to take Lily around to different places to get her out of the condo until I’m finished for the day.”

 

Brian nods, “Sounds like you’re all set then.”

 

Eric suppresses a frustrated sigh. As much as Brian has opened up over the years, it was still impossible for the man to say he would miss someone, save for maybe Lily and Gus. Eric knew how to read the detached demeanor. He didn’t need to hear it. Brian’s actions were worth more than the words. But it wouldn’t be completely unwelcome to hear.

 

But then Brian does lace his fingers with his. Just briefly but for enough time to know that the sentimental and yearning feelings are mutual, despite knowing that there will be short visits and that a month isn’t long amount of time when they have the rest of their lives.

 

They board the plane and Lily wiggles in her seat with disappointment as she glances two rows up and to the left to try to catch glances at Duncan. Once they take off, Eric gives up on having a good conversation with her to take her mind off things and gets her kiddie tablet and headphones out of her bag so that she can watch one of the few movies he’s downloaded for her on it.

 

“Using technology as a babysitter?” Brian tsks as soon as he sees what Eric is doing.

 

“Shut up,” Eric shoots back as Lily plugs in and watches Coraline, which is one of the creepiest kids movies he’s seen but Lily loves it so who is he to judge?

 

The movie does the trick and Lily stays quiet for most of the flight. Brian and Eric talk over her head, staying away from the important subjects such as babies and New Orleans and focus on Eric’s plans to renovate the bathroom connected to their bedroom to put a larger shower in and Lily’s preference for Flamenco over Ballet and wondering if they should ask if she wants to quit Ballet once the season is over with in the fall so that she can take on Flamenco twice a week. Domestic shit. Talk that Brian usually likes to keep to a minimum yet seems tolerable to right now. Maybe it’s the fact that they know they need to plan while they’re mostly separated for a month or maybe it’s just the new baby coming along kicking Brian’s responsible instincts into a higher gear but Eric’s always been the type to at least like what direction different aspects of their lives are going in so he isn’t going to complain.

 

The pilot announces over the intercom that the plane is about to land and Eric sees Brian rolling his eyes over something.

 

“What?”

 

Brian snorts and gives him a glance, “I just realized I spent the whole flight talking about flamenco and kitchen appliances when I could have been dragging you to the bathroom to-”

 

Eric quickly moves to shush him by leaning over their daughter to kiss Brian on the mouth before he hears a woman pointedly clear her throat.

 

“You need to put your seatbelt on, sir,” the stewardess tells him with an icy tone.

 

Eric ignores Brian’s glare at her as he musters up the brightest smile possible, “Sorry, ma’am. Newlywed syndrome.”

 

The stewardess stares at him for a second before walking down the aisle to check and see if the rest of the passengers aren’t as rebellious as Eric is.

 

“Bitch,” Brian mutters as soon as the woman is out of earshot.

 

Lily takes her headphones off and perks up, “Who’s a bit-”

 

Eric lightly but quickly puts a hand over her mouth and shakes his head. And as he glares at Brian over Lily’s head, all Brian can do is look at him with such mischievous humor in his eyes. Brian needs to learn how to shut his mouth. The fact that Lily seems to know what a bitch is pisses him off.

 

“No derogatory words about women in front of our daughter,” Eric hisses, “She even knew to say who and not what. Not a good sign.”

 

Brian raises a brow, “I don’t know what you’re talking about. That just proves that her understanding of speech is as sharp as ever.”

 

As Brian keeps smirking at him and his daughter looks triumphant at the praise she may or may not understand, Eric has to wonder how he’ll survive with another troublemaker added to their household.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The six of them are greeted with hugs from Michael and Lindsay when they arrive at the airport. Michael and Brian hold onto each other tight and share a brief kiss, one that used to make Eric do a double take the first few months he was with Brian but is now something that he takes in stride, glad that his husband has someone who loves him so much. Lily takes Lindsay’s hand and talks to her seriously about needing to sit next to Duncan on the ride to her house because her Papa kept her from doing so on the plane. All Lindsay can do is nod and listen as she sends amused glances Eric and Brian’s way.

 

“We’re best friends,” Lily tells her with an innocent sadness, “Best friends are supposed to sit with each other all the time and that didn’t happen today.”

 

“I’m sorry to hear that,” Lindsay tells her, “You’ll be sharing a room this weekend though. You’ll probably get sick of each other by Sunday.”

 

“I could NEVER get sick of Duncan,” Lily informs her, leaving no room for argument, “I just get sick of Gus.”

 

Lindsay bursts into laughter at that, “I understand, Sweetheart.”

 

“What has my sonny boy done now?” Brian drawls as he throws an arm around Lindsay’s shoulders.

 

“Nothing he hasn’t done before,” Lindsay mutters, “I just wish he wasn’t growing up so fast.”

 

Eric sees Brian’s eyes become tender as he looks away.

 

“Same.”

 

“He’s already looking up colleges,” Lindsay sighs as Brian scoffs.

 

“He’s only a sophomore!”

 

Lindsay shrugs, “He wants to know the best programs and start a few intro classes by the summer before his senior year so that he’ll be a good pick for the New York schools. He’s trying to set his path now. He’s too excited to grow up, if you ask me.”

 

Brian and Lindsay continue their conversation until they reach the car and Eric can’t help but feel a small pain in his chest over it. He’s sure that it isn’t nearly as close to what Brian, Lindsay, and Mel feel over Gus growing up, but he’s been a part of the kid’s life since he was about 8. He loves him so much and Gus is his stepson, now officially so. But seeing Brian deal with the inevitable trials that came with parenting a teenager always made him dread Lily growing up. Part of him couldn’t wait. He wants to see the person she becomes, what she likes and dislikes, know her favorite subjects in school, see who her friends are. But then that comes with meeting her first boyfriend or girlfriend, making sure she’s safe, finding out things he really would never want to hear about, and her eventually moving away.

 

And he’s going to be putting himself through that twice. So strange.

 

“I can take the kids and ride in your car, Linds,” Emmett tells her, “We should discuss the party plans anyway and I’m afraid Lily and Duncan are going to suffer premature heart palpitations if we keep them apart again.”

 

Lily nods her head vigorously, “He’s right. That’s gonna happen. Don’t let it happen, Aunt Lindsay.”

 

“Do you even know what a heart palpitation is?” Eric has to ask her.

 

Lily nods again with solemn seriousness and gives them her definition.

 

“A heart pulpilatmation is when your heart hurts really bad. So bad that it rips up inside you and makes blood go everywhere.”

 

All of the adults stare at her in bewilderment as Duncan seems to completely accept his best friend’s definition before Brian breaks the silence.

 

“Close enough. We’ll see you later then.”

 

Emmett and Drew part ways with a ridiculously tender kiss, as if they will be separated for the weekend rather than just twenty minutes. It makes Brian yell out, “Get a room, Honeycutt!” But Eric can’t help but think it’s sweet. Emmett had immediately been lonely when Drew spent most of June and the beginning of July in Africa, even though Emmett and Duncan had joined them the last week. Emmett had been over a lot to hang out with them and Brian had even spent the night there when they both got a little too tipsy one Friday night. Eric’s sure that Emmett appreciated the company seemed so much lighter and at peace when he had his small family complete again.

 

Michael leads him, along with Brian and Drew, to his car and opens his trunk to let them put their bags inside as he goes around to start the ignition. Eric urges Brian to sit up front with his friend as Drew and Eric sit in the back. Immediately, Eric can tell Michael is chipper. He’s more talkative than ever and smiling as if he can’t help it.

 

“-and you know how well the first two copies of the reboot sold. Our feedback email address is overflooded with emails from old fans and new ones. Most seem to really love the direction and embrace the new characters. There are a few that can’t get past the original storyline and I get that but I like that Justin and I took our time to really develop everyone new so that people had more characters to get to know and like,” Michael continues as he drives.

 

“It did attract a lot of new readers, didn’t it?” Brian comments, “Pretty soon you and Zen Ben will be swimming in cash.”

 

Michael shrugs but smiles, “It’s helped us both out a lot financially and, if Ben keeps moving up at the college, that will help us out too. We’re going to need all we can get.”

 

Eric tilts his head in question at that and looks to Drew to see if he caught it but he’s pretty sure Drew is texting Emmett and isn’t even listening. You wouldn’t guess it at first glance but Drew is head over heels when it comes to his partner.

 

“You two have any plans this weekend outside of Mel’s party?” Eric asks. Usually there was one night where Brian and Michael would go off and do their own thing.

 

Michael shrugs, “I’m not sure if we can fit it in. Linds and Mel are hosting dinner and everyone is going to that. I'm excited for it. Ben and I have an announcement to make.

 

“Ben’s finally leaving your ass and moving to Tibet to become one with the monks? About time,” Brian comments as Eric gives a light kick to his seat.

 

“Ha ha, very funny,” Michael says as he rolls his eyes, “No, this news is better. Much better. You’ll find out, don’t worry.”

 

The rest of the ride goes quickly and without incident. Michael pulls up in front of Lindsay’s and Brian calls the guest bedroom before Drew and Emmett can even think of it.

 

“Brian, Drewsie just got back,” Emmett sighs, “We need alone time.”

 

Brian snorts, “Bullshit. You two have been all over each other ever since you guys got back. And besides, Eric’s leaving for New Orleans Sunday morning and we need to fu-”

 

“Fine,” Emmett interrupts with a glance to the kids, “You win. Drew and I will take the couch.”

 

Brian smirks triumphantly at the win. Eric rolls his eyes and grabs a couple of his bags while Brian gets his own and one of Eric’s. They head inside and take their things to the guest room. Just as Eric is about to head out the door Brian stops him, turns him around, and gives him a once over. Eric studies the man’s face for a few seconds before scoffing.

 

“Now?”

 

“As good of a time as any,” Brian shrugs as he reaches down to unzip Eric’s pants.

 

Eric really has to think on it before sighing, “Brian...we just got-”

 

“Shhh…”

 

Brian kisses him, nips at his lower lip before going down to his knees to pull Eric’s cock out of his pants.

 

“I want to make you feel good. Just relax.”

 

If Eric thought about objecting any further, those objections die down as Brian puts his lips around his cock and starts to suck. Brian had once told him that giving oral was only something he did when he was a twink and, after that phase of his life passed, when he was either high or really into the guy. Eric felt lucky that Brian was willing to do it so often now because, fuck, the guy is good. He knew just where to trace and swirl his tongue, how fast and how slow to go.

 

Eric gasps as Brian starts to speed up his pace. He can’t stop his hips from moving as he runs his fingers through Brian’s hair, trying not to grip too hard.

 

“Fuck, Brian! I’m...fuck,” Eric moans as he tosses his head back.

 

Brian works him, fondling his balls, as Eric lets go and cums. Brian swallows, not even a flinch in sight, before licking him clean and standing back up, wincing and looking down at his knees.

 

“Your knees hurt?” Eric asks, a little concerned.

 

“Guess it comes with age,” Brian sighs, a little bitter.

 

“Or kneeling down on a hard floor to give a spectacular blowjob,” Eric purrs as presses kisses against Brian’s jaw, “Just shows how far you will go to show how much you’ll miss me.”

 

Brian rolls his eyes before kissing him.

 

Eric looks down at Brian’s groin before shaking his head and unzipping his husband’s pants to return the favor. He may want to get back downstairs but it’s also his duty to make sure his man is taken care of. Who could blame him for doing just that?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Brian stays mostly quiet while his friends and husband talk and visit in the living room, opting to mostly watch Duncan and Lily run around instead. While he would rather be fucking Eric up in the guest room, he knows that, socially, playing nice is the polite thing to do. Whatever. The main thing from keeping him getting aggravated is the fact that Gus will be home soon. Brian can’t help but want him to know before almost everyone else, besides Lily and Justin. It’s only fair his kid is let in on the little secret too.

 

“Lily,” Brian says quietly as soon as she is close enough.

 

Lily takes a few steps forward when Brian takes her hand and waits expectedly.

 

“You haven’t told anyone, have you?”

 

Lily shakes her head no enthusiastically, confirming that she has kept her promise.

 

“Not even Duncan?”

 

Lily gives him a disappointed look, “No, Daddy. I promised.”

 

Brian nods, smiles a little, and kisses her forehead, “Good girl.”

 

Lily rubs at her forehead with a scowl before running over to argue with Duncan, something that happens all too often even though they are best friends. But she is distracted from the debate she’s having when JR and Gus walk through the door. She’s the first to greet them, giving them the biggest and tightest hugs she can manage before looking at them, almost offended.

 

“Where were you guys?” Lily exclaims, staring up at them, “I have been here all day!”

 

“It was Free Friday at the pool,” Gus shrugs as he picks her up, just to piss her off, “We went to have fun all day without you.”

 

Lily’s eyes fill with tears and her voice cracks, “B-But...But I love the pool too!”

 

“Gus,” Brian warns. Lily’s complete meltdowns don’t come too terribly often but he’s not going to condone Gus getting her worked up, as fun as his son might think it is.

 

Gus rolls his eyes in response. Dick.

 

“Was Penny there?” Lily presses, using her nickname for Gus’s girlfriend, “Penny loves me and would want me there. Not you.”

 

Lily glares at her older brother and Gus raises his eyebrows in response before sighing and kissing her on the cheek.

 

“Yeah, she was there and missed you. Next time you can come, alright? And you’ll see Penny tomorrow.”

 

Lily finally looks somewhat satisfied and demands to be let down.

 

Gus comes and sits next to him, smelling of chlorine, and Brian ruffles his hair to get him a little riled up in retaliation for doing the same to Lily. Gus gives him a glare but Brian just gives him a small (fake) innocent smile in return all while Lily takes JR by the hand and drags her across the room.

 

“Gus?” Brian says softly once people aren’t paying direct attention to the older kids, “Eric and I need to talk to you. In private.”

 

Gus sighs, already seemingly dreading whatever the conversation will be about and Brian can’t help but bite back a laugh. He can’t blame the kid, really. Last time he told him he needed to talk to him in private was when he found out Gus was screwing his girlfriend. Brian feels like the conversation went mostly okay but Gus probably thinks it was one of the most embarrassing things he’s ever gone through.

 

But Gus nods before standing up to head for the stairs. Brian nudges Eric so that they can head up with him. Gus is in his room by the time they make it up there, sitting on his bed, nervous and waiting to hear what needs to be said.

 

“It’s not about anything uncomfortable. Chill out,” Brian comments as he studies his son’s uncomfortable demeanor.

 

Gus’s form suddenly becomes a lot less tense as he lets a breath out, “Then why do you guys need to speak to me in private?”

 

Eric is the one who goes over and sits next to Gus first. Gus looks at his stepfather expectantly and Eric glances over to Brian with an expression that says, “Get over here.”

 

Brian nods and sits on the other side of Gus and all of the sudden Gus starts to panic.

 

“Are one of you sick?” he asks, alarmed, “Fuck, just tell me-”

 

“What? No. Neither of us are sick,” Eric answers.

 

“You’re getting a divorce then?”

 

Eric looks taken aback and Brian barks out a laugh.

 

“You really think I would have gone through all that planning and heteronormativity if I planned on getting divorced three and a half months later?”

 

Gus flushes, “How am I supposed to know? You brought me up here to talk in private. What else could it be besides something sucky?”

 

Brian sighs and puts his hand on the back of his son’s neck, “It’s not something sucky.”

 

Brian looks at Eric, silently telling him that he can say the words this time. Eric puts his arm around Gus’s shoulders and pulls him in.

 

“We thought you and Lily deserved to this know first. We told her at home so she wouldn’t make a scene here because we want to make an announcement at dinner tonight. But here it is. You’re going to be a big brother again in January.”

 

Both men wait for Gus’s reaction as the boy gets an odd look on his face. He looks at Eric before he looks at Brian. He then gives his father a once over and asks, “Aren’t you kind of old?”

 

Brian glares at his son and bites back a rude retort that no parent should probably say before Eric runs interference.

 

“Your dad isn’t THAT old, Gus,” Eric says with humor before sobering up, “But...how do you feel about it? About the baby?”

 

Gus shrugs, “What’s done is done, right? Better get used to it.”

 

Brian can’t help but scoff a little at Gus’s forced nonchalance. If anything, he would expect the jealousy in Lily. She’s the one who wanted a sibling in the first place but she’s still a four year old with two parents who bow down to more of her wants and desires than necessary. But Gus...Gus has always been a loving and doting older brother. Sure, he teased Lily and JR a little but it was pretty much always good natured and that was normal anyway. It wasn’t like the girls were all that innocent either. Just over the summer, Lily got whipped cream out of the refrigerator and sprayed it up Gus’s nose while he slept. Where in the hell she had gotten the idea from, Brian doesn’t know. But he had almost been too proud of that moment of creativity to sit her in time out.

 

“It does up the chances of you getting whipped cream sprayed up your nose again,” Brian comments, “I can see why you might not be all that excited about it.”

 

Gus rolls his eyes, “You better make sure Lily doesn’t pull that with the new baby. She could suffocate it.”

 

Brian almost laughs when Eric gets a worried and paranoid look on his face at the images of Lily climbing into a crib with a Reddi Whip bottle undoubtedly flooding through his mind.

 

The two older men remain quiet and wait for Gus to say something. When Gus realizes that, he lets out a sigh.

 

“I guess...I guess another baby will be okay,” Gus shrugs, “If you keep it up, you won’t have room for me to visit though.”

 

Brian’s brows furrow as he studies Gus’s guarded expression.

 

“Of course we will. Why would you say that?”

 

“Forget it.”

 

“No, Gus. I’m not going to ‘forget it.’ Is this upsetting you?”

 

“No. Not...not really.”

 

“Then what is it?” Eric asks him quietly.

 

Gus swallows, “You guys have your own family in New York. Sometimes it’s hard to feel like I’m a part of it when I’m here and you’re there.”

 

Brian feels a pain in his chest at that, “Of course you are part of our family. Don’t...don’t say that, Gus.”

 

Gus shrugs, “It’s just how I feel sometimes.”

 

Brian sighs. It isn’t the first time Gus has brought something like this up. There were times where Gus wanted to spend more time with Brian. The kid never outright asked to live with him, although he had hinted on occasion when Linds and Mel were fighting. Brian couldn’t help but feel grateful for that. He’d take his son in a heartbeat but he knows it might strain his relationship with women he shares him with. But, as much as Gus might complain about his moms, Brian also knew the kid loved them.

 

“We have a six bedroom house,” is all Brian tells him, “You were there to decorate your room and I promise that you will always have your own space there and that it will never be filled by another kid.”

 

“Exactly,” Eric reiterates, “And would we even have another kid after this one? Gus is right. You are getting kind of old, Brian.”

 

Brian would feel like his age is under attack, but Gus laughs and seems more secure again.

 

“Okay. I’m...I’m excited for you,” Gus admits.

 

“For us,” Eric reminds him, “You’re going to have a new family member too.”

 

“Do you know if it’s a boy or a girl yet?” Gus asks.

 

“Not for another few weeks,” Brian answers, “But when we find out, you’ll be the first person we call.”

 

Gus smiles then asks, “So, who does it belong to?”

 

Brian and Eric look at each other before Eric says, “Both of us.”

 

Gus rolls his eyes, “I know. I meant biologically.”

 

“We don’t know,” Brian admits before smirking, “We decided to let the best sperm win.”

 

Gus gets a grossed out look on his face and Brian brings Gus closer to kiss him on top of his head.

 

“So you’re okay with it?” Brian asks softly.

 

“Yeah,” Gus answers, “I think it’ll be great.”

 

“And you’ll keep your mouth shut until dinner?”

 

“Yeah, but I can’t believe you got Lily to agree to that,” Gus tells him, surprised, “She never shuts up.”

 

“We’ve had a few close calls but she seems to want to witness the excitement of one big announcement too,” Eric says, “Speaking of which, we better get downstairs to make sure she hasn’t changed her mind on that.”

 

Gus agrees and Brian follows the two out the door and down the stairs. He’s on his way to the living room when the doorbell rings.

 

“I’ll get it,” Brian calls out as he takes the few steps needed to reach the door.

 

When he opens it, he finds himself face to face with Justin.

 

“Hey,” Brian greets, standing there to take the appearance of Justin in. Last he saw him was almost a month ago and his ex-lover had looked tired and sad and just fucking down. He looks a lot better than he did before. His skin is a bit more tanned, so he must have gotten out and walked around in Portugal at least one day. His eyes are a little brighter. They’re still tired but he hopes it means that Justin has been coming to terms with things and is doing a little better.

 

“Hey, Brian,” Justin smiles. And it’s a good smile. It isn’t forced or polite. It’s genuine and it makes the worry that Brian has felt over the kid lift a little and surprisingly makes him stop Justin by taking hold of his wrist and drawing him into a hug. Justin lets out a surprised chuckle and pats Brian on the back.

 

“Sorry, that was unexpected,” Justin admits but keeps his hands on Brian’s shoulders.

 

“How have you been?” Brian asks him.

 

“I’ve been…” Justin hesitates, “I’ve been getting there. Things are looking up.”

 

“You have a good time in Portugal?”

 

Justin thought about it before nodding, “It was...enlightening, I guess.”

 

Whatever the fuck that means. But then Brian smirks.

 

“What, did you get laid?”

 

Justin laughs a little, “Of course. I was about to explode if I didn’t. That wasn’t what made things better though.”

 

Before Brian can interrogate any further Ben and Michael come up behind Justin, carrying a few wrapped gifts.

 

“Isn’t the party tomorrow?” Brian points out as he looks down at the gifts.

 

Michael shrugs, “Yeah, but the party is here and the cat kept knocking them off the table.”

 

“I told you that you needed to kick her out, Mikey,” Brian sighs.

 

“She means well,” Michael says to his friend, playfully offended, before lowering his voice, “And besides, that would break JR’s heart. Lindsay didn’t know how allergic to cats she really was when she agreed to let JR get a kitten.”

 

“Sometimes you just have to be tough,” Brian shrugs.

 

“Says the man who has two pet rats in his house,” Michael smirks.

 

“That wasn’t my decision,” Brian scoffs, “That was Eric’s.”

 

“So he’s the decision maker,” Michael replies.

 

Brian rolls his eyes. Why Michael had to leave his hero worshipping behind, he’ll never know.

 

They go into the living room as Lindsay goes to start dinner while Eric offers to help. Brian’s not sure why. Besides the fact that Eric likes to cook and generally be a helpful person, he also knows Lindsay sort of overstepped pretty early and it kind of rubbed Eric the wrong way. While things have been patched up for years and Eric respected Lindsay as Gus’s mother, you could even call them friends, he also never made a move to become as close with her as he now is with the rest of the gang. But hell, if Eric is going out of his way to spend quality time with Lindsay by cooking a meal with her then fine by him.

 

“What time are Ted and Blake getting here?” Brian asks, directing the question to Mel.

 

“Ted texted me a few minutes ago,” Mel answers, “He and Blake will be here by 5 and dinner should be around 6. We offered to go pick them up but Ted said he got a rental car and was staying until Wednesday.”

 

Brian nods, “I’m sending him to meet with CARGO Cosmetics. I couldn’t be bothered.”

 

Mel snorts, “God forbid you work on a campaign aimed at women.”

 

“Fuck you, I did Tampax,” Brian retorts.

 

“Kids,” Justin reminds him quietly as he nods over to Lily, Duncan, and JR.

 

“I have to tell Teddy to send me some samples!” Emmett exclaims as he claps his hands before sighing dramatically, “It’s been ages since I’ve done drag or makeup.”

 

“Finally going butch then?” Brian asks lightly with a smirk.

 

Emmett, the mature man that he is, sticks his tongue out at him before turning to Justin.

 

“Baby, how are you doing? Just as I was coming back, you were leaving. I haven’t seen you in weeks! What did you do in Portugal?”

 

Justin shrugs, “Mostly work related stuff. I spent a lot of time at the gallery but got a little sightseeing in.”

 

“That’s great. Did you have a good time? Were there a lot of cute guys there?”

 

Emmett leans in for the gossip and Justin rolls his eyes.

 

“Sure, Em. Plenty of cute guys.”

 

Emmett sighs longingly, “You know that I love my Drewsie and he’s it for me through and through. But sometimes I just like to look when we’re out, you know? And sometimes...god, there are some cute ones out there.”

 

“I’m still in the room, Emmett,” Drew says from across the room, yet doesn’t stop playing with the kids.

 

Emmett purses his lips and waves his partner off before turning back to Justin.

 

“You look better. I mean, you look at little happier. You always look scrumptious but I’ve been worried.”

 

Justin shrugs and looks away, “I’m doing okay. Better, I guess.”

 

Emmett smiles, almost hesitant to be relieved, “That’s great, baby. I really mean that.”

 

It’s Michael, of all people, who changes the subject to a safer topic.

 

“Justin’s staying at our place until Sunday. He just got in last night but we’ve done a lot of work on the new issue already and brainstormed so much. His work looks better than ever.”

 

“Oooh, I can’t wait!” Emmett replies, “The last issue was left on a cliffhanger.”

 

Ah yes. That had been the Nathan issue. Or the Phoenix issue. Whichever. Even though Brian had moments where he would roll his eyes at the storylines in Rage, he does think the last issue had a compelling storyline. And, knowing Justin and Michael’s tendency to borrow heavily from real life, it does make him wonder what Nathan had gone through outside of the Rage universe.

 

“But Decimus,” Emmett swoons, “He’s beautiful. Those green eyes, black curls, and tan skin. He looks like he would be so good with his hands-”

 

“Oh, he is,” Brian interrupts pointedly, “Too bad you’ll never know for sure.”

 

“Possessiveness doesn’t suit you, Brian,” Emmett tells him with a humorous smile.

 

Brian is about to retort but Eric comes into the living room with Ted and Blake in tow then glances around to figure out what is going on.

 

“We are just talking about Decimus, the new hot character in Rage,” Emmett explains after hugging Ted in a death grip, “He’s my new crush.”

 

Eric holds back a laugh, “He is hot, isn’t he? Justin and Michael outdid themselves.”

 

“So full of yourself,” Brian tsks, “Dinner ready?”

 

Eric nods and everyone starts getting up to head into the dining room. Brian has to snap his fingers a couple of times in front of Gus’s face to get him to look up from his phone.

 

“I don’t get you,” Brian tells him once he looks at Gus’s annoyed expression, “I don’t care how good Eric looks. I can’t even talk to him 24/7.”

 

“Penelope must be better,” Gus shrugs as he gets up. Little shit.

 

They all sit down for dinner and start to dig in. Some Mediterranean style dish. It’s pretty good and a little spicier than what Lindsay usually makes. He probably has Eric to thank for that. His man knows him so well.

 

Eric excuses himself for a few minutes before coming back to sit back down beside him and nudge him about halfway through dinner. It doesn’t take more than a second to realize what Eric wants to do. Excited twat. Brian smirks and then shrugs before silently making a gesture to let Eric know he can take over the conversation whenever he wants.

 

“So Brian and I have an announcement to make,” Eric states as soon as there’s a moment to cut in, “Emmett, I sort of stole an idea from you. It’s not as tasteful as gold envelopes on top of fine china but it will have to do.”

 

Brian doesn’t know how Eric kept them hidden from him, but his husband passes the small stack of envelopes to Emmett, who is already buzzing because the fucker has probably already guessed what this is about, and tells him to pass them down. Everyone stares at their envelopes like they’ve never seen one in their lives before Eric rolls his eyes.

 

“You can open them now,” Eric says good-naturedly.

 

Brian doesn’t know why he suddenly feels nervous. But he can’t help but put his hand over his eyes while he waits. He feels Lily tapping him on the arm, almost bursting at the seams with excitement, as she whispers a ecstatic, “Daddy!”

 

Brian shifts his fingers to peak at her then puts his hand down and smiles, running his fingers through her curls as Debbie lets out the first shriek.

 

“Oh my god! OH MY GOD!”

 

Debbie stands up so quickly that Carl has to save her from knocking her plate on the floor. She doesn’t seem to care. Dashing to the other side of the table, Brian soon finds himself with his head pressed in her chest.

 

“A new baby?!” she asks, happy tears coming down her face, “Oh, sweetheart. I’m so excited for you!”

 

“Congratulations, you guys!” Ted tells them sincerely, “I would have never guessed it but I think it’s great.”

 

“Yeah, yeah,” Brian mumbles, “Hey, Theodore. Maybe you and Blake will be next.”

 

Both Ted and Blake shake their heads immediately.

 

“Absolutely not,” Blake answers.

 

“No kids,” Ted adds, “We’re focused on taking care of each other.”

 

“Aw,” Blake grins before pulling Ted in for a kiss.

 

Disgusting.

 

“I’m gonna be a big sister, Grandma Debbie!” Lily squeals as she gets up from her seat to bounce in front of Debbie.

 

“That’s so exciting, honey. You are going to be a great big sister,” Debbie tells her enthusiastically.

 

“I’ve been wanting to tell everyone for at least one trillion years,” Lily explains, talking so quickly that it’s hard to keep up, “But Daddy and Papa made me PROMISE not to tell. It’s been inside me this whole time and I couldn’t tell anyone. It was the worst thing ever but now it’s the best thing ever!”

 

Debbie nods and Brian guesses that she caught about half of what Lily said. Living with Lily did have its advantages. If anyone could understand her fast speech, he could.

 

“Baby, you’ve only known about it for one day,” Eric laughs.

 

Lily purses her lips, “But it feels like I’ve known for one trillion years!”

 

“This is...this is a huge surprise, Brian!” Lindsay exclaims, looking down at the ultrasound photo, “I never expected…”

 

Brian waits for her to finish her sentence, which doesn’t happen, so of course he sighs, “I have a convincing husband, what can I say?”

 

“You’re the one who brought it up again on our honeymoon,” Eric taddles.

 

“Are you kidding me?”

 

The whole table turns to look at Michael in shock. The aggravation filling the man’s voice is obvious and it makes a pit form in Brian’s stomach. Biting his lip, he holds back a dickish remark and tries to stay rational.

 

“Care to share with the class what the big deal is, Mikey?” Brian asks as he grits his teeth.

 

Brian glances at the professor to see if he is going to make a move to keep his husband in check. He usually is the peacekeeper, after all. But no. Ben’s sitting there laughing. Fucking laughing.

 

“I told you that I had a damn announcement to make,” Michael growls, “And you didn’t say one word about having one yourself. I would have made mine first.”

 

Brian gestures to the table, “The floor is yours then. Go on.”

 

Michael scoffs, “Okay, fine. As you know, Ben and I have been saving up as much as we could for some time now. Since we aren’t millionaires and Ben has HIV, this didn’t come as easily for us. But with Rage, we have come more financially comfortable and we made it work.”

 

Ben huffs out a laugh and holds a picture up, “We should have made copies too. You have us beat there, Eric. Excuse Michael’s hissy fit.”

 

Everyone in the room stares at the picture in confusion. Except for Brian. God, it makes so much sense now that he can’t help but burst into uncontrollable laughter as Michael glares at him. What a fucking princess. It doesn’t take long for Debbie to snap out of it as she clears her throat.

 

“Sweetie, I’m confused-”

 

“We’re having a baby too, Ma,” Michael tells her, annoyed, “Ben and I are having a baby. Brian and Eric are having a baby. This was a big deal for us but it turns out everyone is having a baby.”

 

“I was excited when you told me, Dad,” JR tells her father sweetly, which gets him to melt a little as he puts his arm around her and presses a kiss to her head.

 

Debbie blinks a few times before letting out another screech.

 

“Oh my god! Oh, honey! You’re making me a grandma again?!”

 

“And Michael was mad at us for taking away his spotlight,” Eric whispers into Brian’s ear.

 

Brian chuckles and watches Michael and Ben get smothered in kisses. In all honesty, he’s not that torn up about it.

 

He risks a glance at Justin across the table and, shit, the kid looks kind of bummed. Brian won’t draw attention to it now but, when he gets the chance, he’ll talk to him later about it. He can’t help but feel a little guilty over Justin being here for, not one, but two baby announcements.

 

But Justin does manage to put on a convincing enough smile and congratulate Michael and Ben. They are both so happy and Brian’s happy for them too. Fuck, he knows they’ve wanted this for at least a few years. So he goes over, puts his arms around his best friend’s neck, and kisses him on the cheek.

 

“Sorry for ruining your announcement, Mikey,” Brian tells him.

 

Michael turns his head and gives him a smile, “It couldn’t be helped. Your announcement had to be said too.”

 

Brian shrugs, “Not necessarily. We could have waited and then had you all over during the kids’ spring break. Answered the door with a fussy two month old baby and acted like it wasn’t a big deal.”

 

“Maybe next time,” Michael laughs.

 

“Gus told me I was too old to have anymore kids,” Brian informs him, reaching over to swat the back of his son’s head on impulse.

 

“I didn’t mean it,” Gus sighs, “I said I was excited too.”

 

“I’m really excited too, Gussy,” Lily dives in, “I think Daddy and Papa should have lots and lots of babies so that I can be a big sister to lots and lots of-”

 

“Lily, go help Justin take the dishes into the kitchen,” Brian interrupts, using Justin gathering plates as an excuse to get her to shut up.

 

Lily huffs at the obvious dismissal and takes Duncan’s hand to get him to hop down from his chair, “Come on, Duncan. Daddy doesn’t want me here.”

 

Such a drama princess.

 

Despite not helping with dinner, he gets out of cleaning up after too. It had been an eventful hour. He has accepted that there is a baby coming along, but telling his family made it more real. So he goes and sits out on the deck for a while. It’s a decent view and there’s a nice yard. It’s a quiet, more suburban section of the city so it’s relatively peaceful. It’d be the perfect time for a cigarette if he hadn’t given up the damn things.

 

He needs to do something. Just to get some energy out of his system. Glancing around, he looks for something that might distract him. He’s not going to grill anything. That’s more of an Eric thing to do and he just fucking ate. He’s not going to read Linds’s chick lit she left lying on the patio table.

 

Then he spots Gus’s soccer ball.

 

Brian shakes his head at himself. Fuck, it’s been awhile since he kicked a ball around. He had with Gus from time to time but Gus wanted instruction. His kid had tried out for the high school soccer team and made it. Brian came up for a few matches last fall to cheer him on and he planned to do the same this year whenever he got the chance. He’s proud that Gus took up the same sport he played. Soccer had been an escape for him. He got the aggression, worries, and stress he felt about his home and his life out on the field. His freshman year almost took his love for playing the game out of it. It was awkward at best to be coached by the man who took your virginity over the desk in the boys’ locker room office. Luckily Coach Roanes quit and Coach Levy had taken over the football team instead.

 

Walking down the steps and out into the back yard, Brian approaches the soccer ball, positions his foot, and kicks the ball right into the net. Then he retrieves it to bounce on top of his foot and his knee before kicking it around the yard and making another unguarded goal.

 

“Having fun?”

 

Brian turns at the sound of Justin’s voice. Sitting there for god knows how long, the man is perched up on the railing and dangling his feet in mid-air.

 

“How long have you been sitting there?”

 

Justin shrugs, “Long enough to see that you play a pretty good game. By yourself.”

 

Brian flushes a little at that but keeps it cool, “I played in high school and college. You know that.”

 

“I do recall.”

 

The two men stare at each other for a few seconds, in the dim light of the sunset, each wanting to say something but neither know what that something is. Well, Brian knows he’s at a loss right now. Justin could just want to watch him kick a fucking ball around.

 

“Come down here,” Brian tells him, gesturing his head in invitation.

 

Justin scoffs a little, “I can’t play, Brian.”

 

“I’ll teach you.”

 

Justin gives him a weird look before jumping off the porch onto the grass flawlessly, no stumble in sight.

 

“Alright, Master,” Justin says sarcastically, “Teach me your ways.”

 

“Haven’t I always?” Brian smirks.

 

And Brian does. He teaches a grown man how to kick around a soccer ball while running, how to angle his foot for a powerful kick, how to manipulate the ball with his feet, knees, and head. It’s not how he planned on spending almost an hour but that’s what they do, no more than suggestions and questions between them.

 

“So is it a baby frenzy in there?” Brian asks as he blocks Justin’s attempted goal.

 

“Pretty much,” Justin confirms as he kicks his leg back to try again.

 

Brian nods then clears his throat, “How are you taking it?”

 

Justin kicks harder than the time before, “As well as I can, I guess. I expected your announcement but not Michael and Ben’s.”

 

“I know. But they’ve been wanting this for a few years.”

 

Justin’s eyes soften, “I know. And I’m really happy for them. And for you and Eric. It’s just difficult. I’m coping. I’m thinking about my options and know that I can make things happen. I just wish that I had...you know, a partner to share that kind of stuff with.”

 

Brian feels a pang in his chest as he bites his lip.

 

“...You will, Justin. I don’t know anyone who deserves it more.”

 

Justin looks away, “Right.”

 

Before Brian can say anything else, the sliding door opens yet Brian can’t see anyone come out. It isn’t until he sees Lily and Duncan come into view when they go down the stairs that he realizes why.

 

“Daddy, what are you doing out here?” Lily asks as she crosses the yard.

 

“Playing,” Brian answers simply as he steals the ball from Justin.

 

“What are you playin’?” Lily asks as she watches him score a goal.

 

“Soccer.”

 

Lily nods her head in understanding, “I wanna play too!”

 

Duncan nods enthusiastically in agreement and Brian sighs dramatically.

 

“It takes a lot of willpower to play soccer,” he tells her with mock seriousness, “A lot of sweat and tears and blood go into the game.”

 

Lily shrugs, “I have all that. I wanna play.”

 

Brian nods before pulling her over, “If you have all that then you’re on my team. Duncan needs to help Justin.”

 

Lily nods and glances at Justin sympathetically, “Yes, Justin needs help.”

 

Brian holds back a laugh and sees that Justin does the same.

 

Even though Brian keeps having to remind Lily that she can’t pick up the ball with her hands and run onto the porch with it or get offended when Duncan kicks the ball away from her feet, they have a pretty great time. And by the time the four of them head into the house, Justin looks a lot more carefree.

 

Even after all these years, his method of stress relief still works.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Mel’s birthday party plays out without any issues. A few of Mel and Lindsay’s friends from work and the neighborhood come over. JR has one of her friends from school over while Gus has Penelope over. You’d never guess that Penelope was seducing his son. She comes in, all polite and sweet and a little shy. Calls him ‘Mr. Kinney’ and holds out her hand for a handshake. He’s sure it’s genuine. She’s a nice girl and she’s good for Gus. Lindsay gave him the assignment of keeping them from sneaking upstairs. He stopped them about three times, which caused Gus to scowl and Penelope to blush beet red, before letting the issue go.

 

“Just don’t hang out up there too long. And don’t let your mothers catch you. And be careful,” Brian tells his son quietly before letting go of his arm.

 

“We’re...we’re not-,” Penelope stammers before Gus ushers her up the stairs, effectively stopping her denials.

 

Brian goes back to Eric, who asks where Gus is and all Brian can do is shrug and say he doesn’t know. Because he technically doesn’t. They didn’t necessarily go to Gus’s bedroom. They could have gone to the bathroom or the attic or the roof for all he knows.

 

Time passes and he tries to mingle. Eric and Justin talk about some library in Portugal. Brian briefly talks business with Ted and tries to get him nervous for fun but running the Pittsburgh branch of Kinnetik really gave his friend a lot of confidence, unfortunately. He tracks down Lily, who he finds eating leftover icing with Duncan, hands and face messy with yellow stickiness.

 

“Thanks a lot,” Brian mutters as he glares at Emmett.

 

“They asked so sweetly though,” Emmett explains before he starts writing ‘Happy 25th Birthday, Melanie!’ on the cake

 

Brian looks down at the cake, “Just because you write it doesn’t mean it’s true.”

 

“The 5 is right,” Emmett reasons, “I just split the first number in half. Sometimes we all need a little pick me up.”

 

“It’s really good icing, Daddy!” Duncan compliments.

 

“So SO good!” Lily confirms enthusiastically.

 

“Both of you, over there,” Brian orders, pointing near the sink.

 

Lily huffs, “I don’t see why you are so mad! The icing is the same color as my dress!”

 

“It’ll still stain. Now stand still.”

 

Brian wipes both of the kids clean with wet paper towels and checks them both over to make sure their clothes don’t need to be changed.

 

“You both look dashing,” Brian says with a nod, “Go tell Lindsay the cake is about ready.”

 

Lily and Duncan dash out of the kitchen and Brian bites back a groan.

 

“What is it?” Emmett asks, concerned.

 

“I need to go upstairs and get Gus and Penelope down here without anyone noticing.”

 

Emmett widens his eyes, “You let them go upstairs?”

 

“I tried to stop them three times. But, unlike his mothers, I just don’t care that much.”

 

“You let them go upstairs alone?”

 

Brian sighs, “Gus was a man on a mission. He would have snuck past me eventually.”

 

“...Brian…” Emmett admonishes, holding back a laugh and shaking his head.

 

Brian growls and heads upstairs, preparing himself to humiliate his son. But hey, Gus should have known the risks by coming up here. He knew there would be cake and ice cream. His lack of presence would be noticed. So really, the kid deserves it.

 

But Brian can’t help but be a little relieved when the two lovebirds come out into the hall right when he reaches the top of the steps.

 

“You’re lucky I’m not someone else,” Brian points out as he takes in their deer in the headlights stares, “Emmett’s about to bring the cake out.”

 

“Yeah, that’s why we were about to come downstairs,” Gus shrugs before Brian stops him.

 

“You both might want to fix your bed hair first.”

 

Brian rolls his eyes and heads down the steps as they start patting down their hair frantically to hide the evidence.

 

Kids.

------------------------------------------------------------------

“I’m going to miss you,” Eric admits as he traces patterns onto Brian’s pecs.

 

Brian looks down and kisses Eric on top of his head.

 

“We’ll see each other in a couple of weeks. You arranged a flight to New York for the 18 week check up and you can’t back out of it.”

 

“Because you want to find out as badly as I do?” Eric guesses.

 

Brian shrugs, “I don’t mind waiting to find out...but I’m not a fan of the idea of waiting a month to see you.”

 

Eric sits up to look down at him and grins, his eyes crinkling, “Then you will miss me.”

 

Brian holds back the extent of his smile but gives in, “Of course.”

 

Eric bends down and kisses him on the lips, sweet and soft, before moving his leg to straddle him.

 

“I want to ride you,” Eric whispers into his ear, grinding his hardening dick against his.

 

Brian thrusts his hips upwards for more friction.

 

“This will be the third time in a little over an hour,” Brian smirks.

 

“But it will only be the second time that you’ve fucked me tonight.”

 

True.

 

Eric lifts his hips and strokes Brian’s cock to make it fully erect. Then with a sigh, he lets himself sink down on it.

 

And it only stays slow for a minute or two before it becomes fast and dirty, quiet but filled with whispered words of filth. Eric marks Brian’s chest with his cum and Brian takes a hold of Eric’s hips to force him down to the hilt as he comes deeply inside him. It’s fucking, through and through, and Brian loves it.

 

And, later on, when Eric lifts Brian’s legs on his shoulders and presses kisses against his face as he bites back moans of pleasure...well, Brian loves that too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Eric’s flight leaves two hours before his. The goodbye ends up being harder than Brian expected. He doesn’t cry over it. It’s a fucking month and he’s not a woman. But Lily does and he’s always found it hard to watch Lily cry with heartbreak. Eric obviously finds it hard as well as he sniffles to hold back tears and holds her close.

 

“It’s only going to be a couple of weeks until I come for a visit and then Daddy’s going to bring you down to spend the last week with me. It will go by faster than you’re thinking,” Eric tells her with a strained voice.

 

“I don’t w-want you to leave me and D-Daddy,” Lily cries, sobs wracking her body and her face wet with tears.

 

“Honey…” Eric sighs as he rubs her back, “I’ll be back. Remember that. Whenever I have to leave, I will always come back to you and Daddy.”

 

“And my new b-baby sister,” Lily hiccups.

 

Eric smiles and presses his forehead against hers, “And your new baby sister. Or new baby brother.”

 

Lily nods and lets out another sob before reaching out to Brian for him to hold her. Brian takes the little girl and hugs her close, trying to will her to calm down.

 

“Let me know you get to the hotel okay,” Brian tells him softly right before he kisses Eric on the lips, “Love you.”

 

“Love you too,” Eric sniffles.

 

Brian gives him a look, “Don’t start.”

 

“I can’t help it. She’s contagious.”

 

Brian smiles and Eric pulls Brian in for a more powerful kiss, or as powerful as a kiss can get with Brian holding their crying daughter.

 

“See you later,” Eric says softly as his flight is called for boarding.

 

“Later.”

 

Brian rubs his daughter’s back until Eric is through the passage and out of sight.

 

“Want to see Papa’s plane take off?” he asks her, trying to think of a way to calm her down.

 

“I d-don’t wanna see Papa leave,” Lily tells him, distressed, “T-That’s why I couldn’t l-look when he said goodbye!”

 

That sends Lily into a fresh round of tears and Brian just holds her tighter.

 

“I’ll miss him a lot too,” Brian tells her sadly, “But he’ll be back soon.”

 

Brian carries her back over to where Drew, Emmett, Duncan, and Justin are sitting and sits down back in his seat, Lily in his lap with her face glued to his neck.

 

“Oh, sweetie,” Emmett sighs, reaching over to rub the girl’s back.

 

“Lily?” Duncan asks, coming over slowly to sit down next to Brian in order hold her hand, “Don’t cry. It’s okay.”

 

Lily lets out a heartbreaking whine and puts her arms around Brian’s neck again.

 

“She’s just tired and upset,” he tells the group as he rocks her slowly, “It’s early and watching Eric leave set her off.”

 

“You think something to eat or drink might distract her?” Justin asks him.

 

Brian shrugs, “Maybe. She didn’t really eat her breakfast this morning. She was too tired.”

 

I’ll go get her something,” Justin says and waves his hand in refusal when Brian starts to reach for his wallet, “Don’t worry about it.”

 

Justin heads in the next room where the food court is located while Brian tries to keep Lily calm by making shushing noises and rocking her in place.

 

“Duncan was heartbroken to see Drew leave for Africa,” Emmett tells Brian softly, “God, Drew and I both felt so guilty. We met up with him for the last week he was there but it’s harder for kids to judge time.”

 

Emmett turns to Lily and strokes her hair.

 

“I know you’ll miss your Papa. But the happiness and excitement you feel when you see him again in a couple of weeks will be more than worth it. And it will make your Papa the happiest man in the world.”

 

Lily lets out a whimper but her little heart beating against Brian’s chest seems to calm at Emmett’s statement.

 

“Thank you,” Brian mouths to him before Emmett smiles graciously.

 

Justin comes back with breakfast sandwiches and coffee for all of the adults, hands Emmett a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit, hash brown bites, and cup of orange juice for Duncan, then squats down next to Lily.

 

“I got some breakfast for you,” he tells her softly, “You might feel a little better if you eat something.”

 

Lily hiccups but turns around in Brian’s lap to display her splotchy face to Justin.

 

“I-It won’t,” she tells him, a few more tears falling, “My Papa went away a-and I won’t see him f-for a long time. It makes me hurt here and h-here.”

 

Lily points to her stomach and her chest then sniffles. Justin bites his lip and gives her a sad smile.

 

“Food doesn’t fix everything, I know. But I remember this one time I went to lunch with your papa and your daddy. They took me to that really yummy place down the street from your house. Park Plaza? My sister loves it too.”

 

“It’s really yummy,” Lily confirms in a wobbly voice as she wipes her eyes, “M-my Papa takes me there a lot. Rocko is really nice. He runs the place and s-says I’m his favorite cust-mer.”

 

“Who can blame him? Just look at you.”

 

Justin grins at Lily’s tearful giggle before getting something out of the breakfast bag.

 

“Your papa boasted your breakfast habits to me when we went there. He told me that your taste in bagel toppings was fancy and refined and that, twice a week, he will take you to get a whole grain toasted bagel with cream cheese, tomato, and spinach and cranberry and orange juice, mixed.”

 

Brian bites his lip to hold back a laugh at his daughter’s breakfast tastes. Lunch and dinner were all about Lunchables and spaghetti whenever she could get those meals out of them but, twice a week for breakfast, she becomes a pod person.

 

“I know it’s probably not nearly as good as Park Plaza’s, but I have my comfort foods that make me feel better,” Justin continues, “Maybe taking a few bites will help you feel better too.”

 

Lily nods and wipes at her face, “I am kind of hungry.”

 

“I got your juice too,” Justin reminds her, handing it to Brian for him to hold, "About two-thirds cranberry and the rest orange. I hope I got the measurements right.”

 

Lily leans over to take a sip from the straw then gives Justin a thumbs up.

 

“It’s how I like it,” Lily confirms.

 

Justin smiles, relieved, “Good. Now chow down.”

 

Lily smiles and lets out another giggle and Brian sits her in his seat so that she can eat her food without spilling it. Brian takes the seat next to her and Justin takes the seat next to Brian and takes out his own meal.

 

“How did you remember that?” Brian has to ask glancing at Lily’s breakfast.

 

Justin shrugs, “It’s just a fact that got stuck in my head, I guess. I remember how surprised I was by it and how funny Eric thought it was. When I thought about what she would want, I had to think really hard on what she had eaten in front of me before but then that conversation popped up in my head.”

 

Brian nods, surprised, then glances back at Lily who is taking small bites from her bagel sandwich.

 

“Thanks,” he tells him, “It’s...It’s hard to see her so upset.”

 

Justin nods, “It really is. She’ll be okay with you there though.”

 

Brian smiles at his ex gratefully and pats his hand. Even though Brian logically knows that to be true, sometimes it’s nice to hear.

 

It’s by coincidence that Justin gets the aisle seat across from theirs in first class. Even though Lily calmed down after getting some food in her, the kid’s exhausted. So Brian lets her take the window seat and he talks to Justin pretty much the whole way back. It’s the first time he’s gotten to say more than a few friendly words to him since they played soccer at sunset with two four year olds.

 

And it’s nice. It’s really nice. It makes him wish that he had tried harder to be Justin’s friend back when they were together. It makes him wish that he would have tried harder to mend bridges and form a friendship sooner.

 

But, even though it took over seven years to say hello again, Brian’s glad that Justin is his friend now. He’s a pretty great one.

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading!