- Text Size +

 Disclaimer: This is fanfic any and all references to Queer as Folk and its characters are for entertainment purposes and no copyright infringement is intended.

 

CINDERFELLA

Chapter 11

Time Will Tell

 

 

The wolf was about halfway through the door when it went solid again. Suddenly there was a snarling, foaming wolf stuck halfway in and out of the door. This made the wolf even angrier. It snarled and barked furiously. It struggled mightily but it was no use.

Mikey grabbed the poker from the fire and ran to the dining table. He might have a few minutes but who knows, he could only have seconds.

The wolf continued to bark and foam and struggle.

"OK, look! I know you're used to serving me whatever you want and it's been great! But this is an emergency! If you can hear me, understand me, I need something that a wolf would love to eat! Please and thank you! Pleaseandthankyou!" He clapped twice. "I'm hungry, give me something to eat!'

The wolf Faded. He realized he could move. His voice was a low, single, sustained snarling as he slowly came the rest of the way through the door into the house. Foam dripped off his mouth in big gobs.

Michael was terrified. He picked up a chair and held the poker straight out.

Meanwhile, as if it sensed the danger, the tablecloth opened, opened, opened quickly. A huge, red, raw, bloody T-bone steak appeared.

The wolf's focus changed. Its snarling changed into a low growling as it slowly approached the table. He tensed. He pounced.

But the wolf was still Faded. He jumped right through the table and the steak.

The wolf didn't like that. He snarled and barked wildly at Michael. He slowly began to stalk Michael instead.

"Get back!" Michael cried desperately. He brandished the chair legs. It had no effect. It only enraged the wolf further. It barked harder and snapped at the chair legs which had no effect while it was Faded.

Then, in mid-snap, it solidified. Its teeth connected with the chair leg and he bit through it like a carrot stick. He lunged at the chair again. He bit more of it to smithereens and pulled and yanked. Suddenly, Michael found he was in a desperate tug of war.

The wolf barked furiously and lunged again. He bit into the chair again and pulled and pulled. This time his grip was too strong and he pulled the chair away from Michael. Snarling in triumph, the wolf pounced and leaped onto Michael. And for Michael there was only whiteness and teeth and foam and the blackness of its maw.

The wolf bit Michael in the arm and shook it. Michael screamed in pain and fear. He didn't know what else to do so he hit the wolf over the head with the poker a few times. It had no effect. Finally, having no choice, he reared back and gouged the wolf with the poker in the side, wounding it.

The wolf let go and whimpered. He had a wound in his side that was bleeding but then again so did Michael.

As soon as the wolf let go, Michael jumped up and opened the back door. He grabbed the red, raw steak and ran out onto the porch, out into the yard and shot-putted that bad boy across the yard. Thankfully, it landed near the edge of the woods.

The wolf ran/limped after Michael and the steak, its wound bleeding, leaving a trail. As Michael threw the steak, he ran past him after the meat, like a big dog playing fetch with a bone. But this was no dog. As soon as the wolf ran after the steak, Michael ran back inside the cottage, slammed the door and locked it.

He watched through the window. The wolf attacked the steak a bit, ate some, licked its wound, and worried the steak a bit more. He licked his wound some more. Then, whimpering pitifully, he picked up the steak and slunk off into the woods.

Michael breathed a huge sigh of relief. He sat down on a chair and checked out his arm. It was pretty bad. The arm of the shirt he was wearing was red with blood. He ripped off the shirt and washed off the blood as best he could but he was still bleeding pretty badly. He pumped water over it a bit more before deciding that wasn't really going to help. He wondered about the bathroom upstairs. Maybe it would help him like the wardrobe and tablecloth. The tablecloth was still spread out. It was ugly with bloodstains from the red, raw steak.

Michael went to clap his hands. His wounded arm wouldn't lift. It was dead, like a block of wood. Uh oh. Must be some kind of shock or something, he figured. He smacked his good hand into his bad one. "I'm done. Lay all away. Thank you...so much."

The blood disappeared and the cloth folded itself up.

Michael left his bloody shirt in the sink and slowly went upstairs. He was so tired, just bone-weary. He reached the top of the stairs. Every fibre of his being wanted to turn to the left and be with Ben. But his arm was still bleeding and despite being completely dead and useless, it was also throbbing with a dull pain. He put his hand on the knob of the door to the right.

"Please," he whispered, "I've been injured. If you are anything like the wardrobe or the tablecloth, help me. I need help. I am alone. I'm - I'm scared. I don't know what to do. Please help me if you can." He turned the knob and went into the bathroom.

Oh my! This really was lovely. There were fat scented candles everywhere and the sink was full of water that was just the right temperature. Along the sides of the sink were four short, fat jars filled with different colored creamy ointments and at the top right corner of the sink was a large roll of thick, wide bandage tape.

Michael dipped his arm into the sink and again washed his arm free of the blood. The water caused the blood to flow into the water a bit more but Michael didn't mind. He felt a calming and cleansing sensation. He picked up a few of the jars as his arm was soaking and saw they were all weird herbal potions to be rubbed on in sequence.

Finally, he lifted his arm out of the water. It was still bleeding slowly but now he could see the four fang puncture wounds. He slathered on the first potion, which was green. It was sucked into his skin greedily. He slathered on more. It too vanished into his skin. The bleeding stopped entirely.

Michael slathered on the blue ointment. There was an immediate cooling sensation and the throbbing pain stopped. This was instructed to be left on for ten minutes and then washed off, followed by the red ointment.

Michael waited the appropriate time and washed off the blue ointment in the sink. The skin on his forearm was now delightfully smooth.

The red ointment tingled and burned pleasantly for a bit before settling down and then being absorbed by the puncture wounds. The dead, numb feeling was decreased by half.

The yellow ointment was instructed to be dressing applied underneath the bandaging and to be re-applied every time the bandage was changed. Accordingly, Michael slathered it on liberally and then wrapped the bandaging over it, covering his entire forearm.

Finally, he was done. He blew out all the candles (just in case) and decided to take the yellow ointment and the rest of the bandages with him. He left the bathroom, telling it, "Thank you," as he left.

Ben was just as he left him. Clear as crystal, still as death...almost.

Michael turned out the light and lay beside his boyfriend. What on earth was wrong with him? Justin said he'd be cured? Why wasn't it happening? What was going on? And where was everybody? Would anybody come at all?

All these questions made Michael dizzy. No, he thought, Justin promised. He promised he'd come the day after. They just had to make it till tomorrow. Tomorrow...tomorrow...

Michael grew dizzier. He felt a little sick. He tried to get up but he grew still dizzier. He collapsed back and fell into a deep sleep beside his boyfriend.

Ben continued his hibernation in his crystal cocoon.

MBMBMBMBMBMBMBMBM

 

Justin was pacing.

"Will you just get in the fucking bed?" Brian yelled for what seemed like the umpteenth time.

"It's no use. I can't sleep." Justin said.

"I know," Brian leered suggestively.

"Brian!" Justin paced. "What if it doesn't work?"

"It'll work! It'll work! Just get over here!"

Justin paced to the bed. He sat down. He put his head in his hands.

Brian pulled a maniacal face and began to steal toward Justin from behind. His hands could feel that creamy smooth skin. He was inches away.

Brian lunged. Justin stood and paced. Brian missed him by inches. He fell ass over teakettle and landed on the floor.

Justin didn't even notice. He walked over to the window, looked at nothing, turned around again.

"What are you doing on the floor?" he asked, confused.

"Fuck if I know," answered Brian.

"Maybe I should have gone and got them," he worried, pacing across the room again.

Brian got up and went over to Justin. He put his arms around him from behind. "You're the one who wanted them to have a night together."

Justin grabbed his hands. He turned in his arms and began to sway, too hyped up with nervous energy to stand or sit still. "Maybe I was wrong."

"Wrong for them to have their last night together?" Without even thinking about it they began to dance.

They were both naked. They were in their master bedroom. And yet, they were back at the Prom. They were both in tuxes. Each one looked devastatingly handsome to each other. Brian twirled Justin across the room, one, two, three times. Justin held his arm stiff behind him in the masculine fashion, as he was wont to do.

"No, that's not wrong. But I can't stop thinking about Michael."

Brian dipped him. "Should I be jealous?"

"Of course not!"

"Good." Brian danced him around the floor again. "Cuz if I'm ever given a reason to be jealous, I'd like it not to be about your brother!"

Justin dipped Brian. "You will never have a reason to be jealous of me. I promise." Brian smiled, his devastating, shit eating, sexy grin. "I'm going to hold you to that, Sunshine."

Justin pulled Brian up...or though he did. The window called to him again. He pulled away and walked toward it. Brian was pulled three quarters of the way up and stood teetering on one foot. He pinwheeled his arms for balance. He was going to make it...he was going to make it... His fingers missed the bedpost by inches. He crashed heavily to the floor.

"I have this terrible feeling that...that...oh, I don't know what. I feel like everything could come crashing down around me."

"Somehow...I know exactly how you feel."

Justin turned. "What are you doing on the floor?" he asked.

"Fuck if I know," answered Brian.

"Something's terribly wrong."

"I quite agree."

"But I don't know what."

"I know exactly what!"

"You do!?"

"I do!!" Brian growled.

"Oh, Brian what is it? What could it be?"

"Well Justin, you see, I have a little twink, blond tempter who keeps dropping me on my ass and won't get into fucking bed! That's what's wrong!"

"Oh, Brian, I'm so sorry! Here, let me help you up!" He helped Brian to his feet, and then caught sight of the window. "No, that's not it!" He paced to the window again.

Back on his feet, Brian moved to bear hug Justin, gather him into his arms and missed him by inches. He overcompensated, twirled around and fell on his ass.

"Oh, God what if it doesn't work?" Will this night ever end? What am I going to do?! Brian, what are you doing on the floor?"

"Fuck if I know," answered Brian. He got up. "Look, Justin, we'll go first thing in the morning, OK?"

"First thing!? You promise!?"

"I promise! I will promise that and anything more if you will just get in the fucking bed!"

"Oh, that's no use. I can't sleep."

"Well that's OK, I know the perfect sleep remedy!" Brian strode over and grabbed Justin and lifted him up off the floor in a cradling position. He kissed Justin deeply, madly, passionately.

"You - you do?" Justin asked, his undivided attention caught at last.

"Yes!" Brian carried him over to the bed and threw him down. He jumped in after him. He raised Justin's legs up in the air by the ankles. "A hot beef injection!"

And whadda-y'know? That really DID do the trick!

BJBJBJBJBJBJBJBJBJBJBJBJBJ

Michael was dreaming.

It had to be a dream because in it he was entwined in the limbs of a solid, muscular, warm man and that man was entwined with his. As if they were one entity, they were joined, legs wrapped around each other, pressed groin to groin, chest to chest, arms entwined, his head on the man's hard shoulder.

The shoulder was so hard, so real. Michael ran a hand down that huge arm, feeling a pleasing bump of a bicep. He shifted, rested his head on a huge, solid pec.

Wait! That bicep was real! That chest was real. Michael jerked awake. Somehow in their sleep, Ben and Michael had shifted, found each other, and grabbed hold. Michael slowly opened his eyes.

Ben was back. He was in full, living color and he was solid, warm and real. He was hard. (In more ways than one) Michael noted in satisfaction. But more importantly his FADES was gone. Really and truly gone. He was solid and hard...and...and...and everything! He was back. He was cured!

"Ben! Ben! Wake up! Wake up!"

Ben's eyes fluttered. He stretched and awoke. He looked at Michael. "Geez Michael, what the hell happened?" he asked, his eyes wide.

"It's a long story. There was a wolf. He bit me in the arm. But Ben...look at yourself! Look! Look! Oh, I wanted to tell you last night but I never got the chance. Ben, look! You're solid...you're whole again! You're cured!"

"Why, so I am! That's fantastic! I'm so happy about that! But Michael..." he said, still staring at Michael strangely. "I think you should have a look at yourself too."

"What do you mean, Ben?" Michael asked. "What's wrong?"

MBMBMBMBMBMBMBMBMBM

A few hours later, at 9:00 AM, Justin was standing outside the gates to the forest cottage. He was fidgeting in nervousness and anxiety as the gate was being unlocked for its final time.

The instant it was, he shoved it open all the way and ran full speed down the path. Brian and a retinue of guards followed at a more sedate pace. He had dressed for the occasion in a white shirt with poofy sleeves and a tie up front, black skintight leggings made from fine silk, and thigh high leather boots.

Justin was too excited for all that. He had dressed quickly in a casual but nice blue suit with a cream colored tie.

He ran full tilt down the path to the cottage. "Brother Michael! Sir Ben! Are you there? Are you well? Michael, are you there!? I've come to take you home!"

The door to the cottage opened almost at once and Sir Ben stepped out. Justin gasped.

Ben was whole and solid as ever. It had worked. He was cured.

"Good morning, King Justin. As you can see, I'm quite well."

"That's fantastic, Ben. So, Michael has explained to you what we were trying to do?"

"Yes, Michael has explained everything to me. It's a wonderful surprise." Ben sounded glad but reserved.

Justin walked up to the porch. "Aren't you glad? Is anything wrong, Ben?"

Ben held up a hand. "Wait, King Justin. There is something you should know before you come in."

"No Ben," came a voice from within, "We might as well get it over quickly." Michael came out onto the porch and stood beside Ben.

Justin's eyes widened and he gasped again. Michael was transparent. He had FADES.

BJBJBJBJBJBJBJBJBJB

Michael walked Justin out to the back yard and showed him the trail of blood. They followed it to the edge of the yard

"I'm so sorry, Michael. I should have come for you! I had premonitions all night that something was wrong."

"No Justin. Don't blame yourself. I'd been wanting a night...a whole night with Ben since I got here. No one could have known what was going to happen on the last night." Without thinking, Michael reached for Justin's hand and again it passed right through.

"Dammit! I keep forgetting. I've pictured walking with you like this a thousand times since your letter, and now that I am, I can't even hold your hand."

"The time will come, Michael. Remember, you know the cure now. Is this where it...went?"

"Yes. Follow the trail and I suppose you will find it. I shouldn't wonder if these infected wolves are the ones who started the disease in the first place."

"Perhaps you are right, Michael. Time will tell."

He summoned a few guards. "Follow this trail and kill the wolf at the end of it. It's infected with FADES so don't let it bite you. It must be culled."

"Yes, Sire!" They ran off into the forest.

"But Justin! This is only one. Who knows how many wolves are in this forest? I assume that one slipped through the fence when it was transparent. At least, I hope it did. This has been nagging me since day one. You didn't intentionally shut me up in here with a few wolves, did you?"

"No, of course not, Michael! I'd never do something like that to anybody."

"I didn't think so," smiled Michael. But I could always hear them. "There may be a whole pack. What if they all have FADES?"

"We'll cordon off the forest and hunt through it. We'll get them all, don't worry."

"Will that be possible? I remember the day I was brought here. It seemed to take so....so long."

Justin looked uncomfortable

"Justin? What is it?"

"Well, Michael I have something to confess. The forest isn't... isn't really...that big. I just had them drive you around a lot blindfolded."

"I wondered what that was for! My God, that means...I could've..."

"No, Michael," Justin said sternly, ""You couldn't have. It's still very big. You would have gotten hopelessly lost...even fatally so. But let's just say, you'll find the trip home...a lot shorter."

They walked back to the cottage. " I see. So...you still want to take me out of here...even though I'm sick?"

"Yes! Oh, yes, Michael! I wanted you here because you were healthy! It would serve no purpose to have you here alone...like this. You'll come out of here with us as soon as the guards get back. You'll want to stay with Ben, of course."

"Of course."

"And in four months, you'll be as healthy as you once were. I meant what I said in my letter, Michael. You'll never have to be alone again."

"Oh...Oh, that sounds...so good, Justin!"

The guards soon came back. They reported that the wolf was dead when they found him.

They all went back into the cottage. Justin had a few guards carry out Michael's typewriter and extra paper etc.

"What about my clothes?" Michael asked.

"Go on up to your room. You'll find a small bag packed. Otherwise everything in the wardrobe will be transferred to Ben's castle.

Michael went on up and found suitcase and the wardrobe empty, just as Justin had predicted.

He came back down. "You're right. But I'll need someone to carry the bag now."

"I'll get it." Ben said and trotted up the stairs.

"Anything else from this place, you'd like to keep?"

"If I had one wish, I'd keep the bearskin rug."

It vanished.

"I wish I had discovered more about this cottage, when I had been staying here. How much of it is enchanted anyway?"

"Nearly all of it. I'd hoped you'd discover it on your own. You didn't think I'd leave you here unloved and unprotected, did you?"

"Michael smiled shyly. "Well...not after your letter I didn't. So where did the rug go, anyway?"

Justin smiled. "It'll be at Ben's when you get home." He picked up the tablecloth. "There! I believe that's everything."

"Wait! What do you need that for?"

"Why, Michael! Who do you think left it here for you in the first place?" Justin asked, smiling at him cheekily. "Now let's get outta here."

So they did. At the gate, Justin had another surprise for Michael. His very own car to drive home in. It was a golden Miata.

"May I drive you home, my love?" Ben asked.

"Oh yes. Please." Michael replied.

Ben threw his bag into the trunk, opened the door for Michael and then jumped into the driver's seat.

"See you back at the castle!" Ben yelled, gunning the motor. Brian and Justin laughed as gravel sprayed and the little car peeled away with a squeal.

BJMBBJMBBJMBBJMBBJMB

The next evening...

 

The four of them were at the castle, enjoying a nice port or wine and fine chocolates in Brian's very favorite study after dinner. Ben had port. Michael didn't have anything as it went right through him. Justin had a nice white wine and of course, Brian had Jim Beam.

"That was a wonderful dinner, Justin and Brian," Michael said, "Thank you. Do you think they'll accept it?"

"It may take some time," Justin said, "But they couldn't deny living proof. And once more and more people start their treatment and get healed, the more people will start hooking up. Eventually, I'm looking at a fully FADES free Loft. At long last we'll be free of my stepfather's evil legacy."

"Yes," Michael said sadly. Evil or not, he still missed his father and brother. "Justin...If Ethan had found love at one of the Balls...or repented the way I did, would you have spared him too?"

"I would have given him the same chance as you, in the better prison, to see. But don't worry Michael, they're really not that bad off. Although they don't notice it, they are fed well, and they'll never be homeless. Their only real punishment is doing the chores that I used to do. If you want, I can take you to see them, during a break. They won't see you, but at least you'll know they're all right."

"I'd like that. Thank you, Justin."

"You're welcome."

There was a comfortable silence as they enjoyed their wines and Brian copped a feel.

Justin slapped his hand away but not seriously, "Brian...we have guests!"

"No, Brian has the right idea, Ben said, running his hand up and down through Michael's palm intimately. Michael shuddered in pleasure. Even now, even though that he was Faded, Ben knew just what to do to him to drive him crazy.

Ben looked deep into Michael's eyes. "In fact, there's no one is this kingdom I'd want or trust to treat you for your FADES...except me. Let me heal you, the way you healed me."

"Of course, Ben," Michael replied.

"Well then..." Ben took a deep breath, "Would you marry me? Preferably...this Wednesday?" He produced a ring. It was gold and encrusted with tiny diamonds all the way around the band.

"Oh, Ben! Oh, yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! I've been waiting for you to ask for ages. Why didn't you?"

"I didn't - well, I didn't think you'd want to...when I was...when I was...when there was..."

"No hope? Oh, Ben...I would have loved any time we would have had together. Don't you get it, you big lug? I love you. You're stuck with me."

"And now you two will have all the time in the world," Brian said. He slowly unlaced the top of his shirt. You could now see a suggestive amount of pec. He was wearing another white, lace up the front, poofy sleeves number that drove Justin wild and he could tell by the way Sunshine's breath hitched it was having the desired effect. He flexed a pec. He moved in for a sweet, long kiss. And Justin let him since it was apparent that Ben and Mikey were busy doing the same on the opposite brown leather couch.

When they came back up for air, Justin felt a bit fogged. He took a deep breath and tried desperately to get the thread of polite conversation back on track despite his husband's erotic attempts to derail it.

"So, Mikey, how did you like your comic?"

"It was fantastic! That was a wonderful surprise Justin. I'd never thought I'd ever see it outside of my imagination. And you did such a good job! It seems you found your hobby as well!"

"Do you ever get the feeling we're just eye candy to the two of them?" Ben asked Brian over their heads.

"Yes, I love drawing!" Justin enthused, ignoring, them both completely, "I thought I'd leave out the ink and painting till you got home and had a chance to collaborate."

"Frequently," Brian answered Ben drily.

"I must admit I always envisioned Ben as Rage. But I understand why you made him Brian. It worked out wonderfully."

"What do you do about it?" asked Ben.

"Oh, usually, something like this!" Brian answered, reaching up Justin's shirt in a lightning move. The tweaked his nipples mercilessly. At the same time, he moved in with a super duper killer kiss.

Ben followed suit with his own beta turning Michael into a helpless mess of desire.

Justin was in an absolute haze of pleasure. But he finally pulled away and said, "Shame on you! You, Sir, are supposed to be charming!"

"And we are supposed to live happily ever after!" returned Brian, "Which in my book, means kissing you as much as possible and non-stop fucking!"

"MMMMMM!!" Justin dreamed in anticipation. He lifted his face to Brian's for another kiss. "Well...Time will tell."

 

THE END

 

A/N: Well, there we go. Done at last. Sorry about the weird quickie ending but after the exodus from the cottage I couldn't think of anything else and all the loose ends just sort of tied themselves up in neat bows and Boom! It was done. I'm planning a short epilogue, if that helps. Please review chapter and story in general. Cheers AND Jeers are welcome.