- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 Disclaimer: This is a fanfic Any references to Queer as Folk are for non profit purposes only. No copyright infringement is intended

Intro: OK! Holy Writer’s Block, Batman! This one was hard. Re-writes and re-rewrites and editions abounded. Mostly the fictional storylines attempted to resolve themselves and deviations from the fairy tale abounded but I tried desperately to keep on track. More romantic stuff next chapter I promise.

 

Warning: Some violence. No blood.

 

 

CINDERFELLA

Chapter 5

The Search

 

 

Justin awoke early. After years of practice, it was easy. He got up off his simple, straw mat and stretched.

He went upstairs and very quietly repeated his bathing ritual. Fortunately, he didn't need to take as long as last time and in no time he was scrubbed shiny and his hair was like shining, spun gold.

Dressing in his rags again, he went out into the garden and quickly picked a bowl of strawberries.

Then he went back inside and rummaged around in a cupboard. He found an apron with a deep pocket. He slipped the apron over his head and tied it around his back. Then he went to prepare breakfast for the three most grateful men on Earth.

He stirred and whipped cream, mixed and baked and soon all was in readiness. He started the coffee. He braced himself.

One minute. Two. Three. And....

THUMP! THUMP! THUMP! Here they came.

"Good Morning!" said Justin pleasantly, as he did every morning. He turned. He was scrubbed and bright and his apron read KISS THE COOK! HE'S GAY!

"What the HELL are you doing here?!" yelled Craig.

"Good morning, stepfather. Charming, as always, I see. I'm making breakfast."

"I mean what are you doing out of the basement? Who the HELL let you out?"

"I let myself out," said Justin as if it were the most reasonable answer in the world, "Who else was going to make breakfast? Speaking of which, this morning, I have made coffee, orange juice..." here he looked at Michael meaningfully and placed the OJ carafe on the table. "...and pancakes with fresh whipped cream and sliced strawberries."

With amusement, Justin noticed a line of drool run out of the side of Ethan's mouth and down his chin.

"I don't care if you made a breakfast fit for a Prince! You're supposed to be locked in the basement!" Craig snarled.

"Ohhh, I see. Well, that's too bad." Justin picked up Ethan's plate again just at Ethan was about to spear some pancake. His fork hit the tablecloth. "If I'm supposed to be down in the basement, then I'm not really here. And if I'm not really here, then I didn't make this breakfast. If I didn't make this breakfast, then I guess it doesn't really exist..." He held the plate of four pancakes topped with fluffy whipped cream and strawberries over the garbage can.

There was a kind of blur and the plate vanished out of his hand as if...by magic.

And then Ethan was back at the table, forking in pancakes as if his life depended on it. (After a day of nothing but sandwiches and cereal, perhaps it did) "Omm mogg na waaa naaaa," he said, his mouth full.

"What was that? Ethan, don't talk with your mouth full!" Craig yelled. He seemed to have two volumes lately, loud and louder.

Ethan swallowed. "I said, leave him alone Dad."

Michael dug in and poured some OJ. "Thank you, Justin," he said meekly.

"You're welcome, Michael," he said sincerely.

"Uh, ‘eah...anks, ustin..." said Ethan, his mouth full again.

Craig looked ready to explode. Justin ignored him and just continued serving breakfast. "You know, I really would think about changing your tone stepfather. After all, I turn 18 in a week and I can see 2 possibilities happening. One...I'm kicked out...or I leave...and you three are going to be left here alone to either fend for yourselves or hire someone to replace me. And believe me, if you're planning on treating them the way you treat me, you'll have to pay them...A LOT. Or Two...I kick YOU out of MY house. And we both know this house is really mine...Don't we stepfather?" Justin looked him square in his beady little eyes.

Craig looked back at him and snarled, "Oh yeah? Why don't you prove it?"

Justin smiled pleasantly in a way Craig didn't like and sat down to eat. "Where there's a will, there's a way," he said.

Craig's face went from red to white.

BJBJBJBJBJBJ

Brian awoke late. After years of practice, it was easy. He sat up and swung his legs over his king-size feather bed. He stretched the kinks out.

The loafer was still on his bedside table. Only now, it was sitting atop a yellow file folder.

Brian picked up the shoe and traced a finger up and down the length of it a few times. He thought fondly of the last few nights and he thought hard about what he was going to do. He sighed.

Then he slowly put the shoe back on the folder. He went into the bathroom to shower and dress.

About a half hour later, he emerged again, feeling refreshed. He sat down at his desk with the folder and opened it up.

The Taylor Condom Company was the leading condom supplier for the Loft. Profits were fairly good. They supplied a lot of people with jobs. Because of the epidemic, they were currently under quality investigation. Results were still pending. Hmmmm. We'll see about that.

There were a few legal and technical documents and a floor plan of the factory. Brian gave these a cursory glance before turning them over. He'd have his lawyer look those over.

Next were four headshots and the vital statistics of the family members of this dynasty.

Craig Taylor. Widowed and single. 55 years old. Brian winced. Ughhh! What a troll! CEO of Taylor Condoms. Blue eyes. Brown hair. Blah! Blah! Blah! An address.

Michael Taylor. 28 years old. Single. Brown hair. Green eyes. Boy next door good looks. Kinda cute. Vice President. Same address.

Ethan Taylor. 18 years old. Single. Holy Shit! It was the guy on the spanking bench; the one Ash had paddled pink! Vice-vice President. Hmmmm, kinda young for that. Brian smelled the stench of nepotism. Same address.

Brian turned over Ethan's picture and gasped.

There he was. Justin Taylor. 17 years old. Single. Brian noted the birth date and was satisfied to note he would be legal in a week. Blond hair. Blue eyes. Thin. Cast down eyes. Look of.... Supreme...sadness. What was going on here? The damned picture looked like a mug shot. He looked for his position in the company. Varied and indeterminate. What the FUCK did that mean? Same address.

Bingo. His boy-o had a name-o.

Brian slammed the folder closed.

He put on a few chains including an impressive one with a large ruby in a gold setting and one of his more impressive coronets and went to go see his parents.

BJBJBJBJBJ

"So, my son, we are told that you have made a decision regarding your choice in a mate. Is this true?"

"It is, father," Brian replied.

"Who is it? Where is he? Can we meet him?" his parents eagerly asked.

"Not yet. There are...complications."

"What are these complications, my son?"

"The man I met at the festivals came in disguise. Every time I pressed him for his name he was evasive and then he fled. The last time he did, he dropped this." He showed them the shoe. "The man who fits this shoe, it is he who I will marry."

"His parents looked at each other. They tried very hard not to laugh and did an admirable job.

Brian winced. It sounded ridiculous out loud, even to his own ears.

"Uh, son? Are you sure you kept these events...uh...drug free?"

"Yes, dammit! He was real! Especially last night! I've never had a more magical night."

"OK. But even if he does exist, that's a pretty blanket statement. That shoe could belong to anybody. Fit any number of men."

"No. It is my belief that it is a custom fit. It will fit only one man."

"But then who? Why was he disguised? Do you have anything to go on?"

"I believe he disguised himself to hide from his family who are abusing him. During the last Ball he...told me some things about the Taylor Condom Co. They might be causing or at least spreading FADES."

"They are a large business, my son. That is a serious accusation. Do you have any proof?"

"Not yet. But I plan to get it. And to visit the Taylors. It is my belief that when I do I will find my groom. Also, in the meantime, it might be a good idea to institute a Loft-wide recall of Taylor Condoms."

""That's a very serious move, Brian. Without the proper proof, this could have very serious..."

"Dammit, father, this IS serious. I will get you proof. But in the meantime people could be fu - using faulty condoms right now and getting FADES! This is no time for bureaucracy!"

"Very well Brian! I'll issue the recall decree! But you better be right about this! Keep us informed. If you find...him...bring him along to meet us. I'd like to meet this young man who has captured my son's heart and still remains such a mystery."

"So would I, Dad. So would I. I'll be in touch!"

Brian strode out of the throne room.

BJBJBJBJBJBJ

Brian's first stop was the condom factory. An oily, obsequious, PR man met him and gave him a tour of the factory. Everything seemed to be in order but Brian got the feeling that everything was a little too perfect. He demanded to see the quality control and inspection rooms and found everything to be in order. Dammit.

"Where are the Taylors today? Didn't they come in to work?" he asked brusquely.

"They all went to the Prom last night and decided to take the day off," the oily man said, "Is anything wrong?"

"No. Thank you for your time."

Brian left and got into his limo. "Take me here," he told his driver, giving him the address.

The oily man watched him drive off through the window. He picked up the phone.

BJBJBJBJBJBJ

"Oh, shit!" Craig said, slamming down the phone. "You are never going to guess who's on his way over here! Prince Brian!"

Michael and Ethan gasped. Justin's insides did flip-flops but at the same time, he just had a deep, warm, gooey sense of relief. He was coming. He was coming for him at last.

"Who was that Dad?" Ethan asked.

"It was Mr. Gonzales at the factory. The Prince came looking for us there. Strange, he sounded a little upset. Like we should be worried or something. But I can't imagine why. OH...MY...GOD!!"

"What, Dad?"

"One of you must have impressed him somehow at his Balls!!"

Justin bit his tongue to keep silent. He just kept polishing, polishing.

"But Dad, he was with a different man every night! He didn't even see me at the White Party and then I spent the Leather Ball and the Prom with Ben!" protested Michael.

"Yeah! And he told me he totally wasn't into me at the Leather Ball!" said Ethan.

"Well, one of you must have done something! Michael! Go upstairs, and get changed into something nice!"

Justin just kept polishing, polishing.

"But Dad, I don't want to marry the Prince anymore! I'm with Ben now!"

"Nonsense! A Prince and a kingdom beats a knight any day! Besides, that zero has FADES! He might as already be in the ground!"

Michael's face contorted in rage. But there were no words to match his feelings so he just turned and stalked upstairs.

"ETHAN!!!

"I'm right here Dad!"

"Oh, right! Before you get dressed I need your help with a little....problem."

Justin felt the sudden silence before he heard it. Uh oh.

He turned to face Craig and Ethan standing there with their arms crossed. "Hi guys...what's going on?"

"You don't think we're actually going to let you embarrass us in front of the Prince, do you Cinderfella?" said Craig, "Now get your ass and rags down to the basement."

Justin took a step back. "Why don't you just let me dress in something decent?" suggested Justin, then turned and bolted. They gave chase. Justin managed to lead them around the house twice before they cut him off. Craig grabbed him in a bear hug from behind and Ethan gave him a tap to the solar plexus. Justin collapsed.

"Shit, he's here! Hurry up!" Craig carried him over to the basement and threw him down the stairs like a sack of garbage. The door slammed and locked just as the doorbell rang.

Justin rolled over and over down the stairs. He landed and lay gasping for breath on the floor. It was a few minutes before he could move. The incinerator belched out a bit of ash and soot, highlighting his hair with darkness and coating the upper half of his face with soot.

It was another few minutes before he made his way back up the stairs. He reached into the pocket of his apron and plucked out a golden card.

As he reached the door, he paused for a minute to hear what was going on.

"Look!" Prince Brian was saying, "What is wrong with you? I am not here for either of these two men! Besides the shoe did not even fit Michael! Doesn't that clue you in!?"

"Try it on me, Prince Brian," simpered Ethan, "Do you like music? If I had my violin, I'd play something for you!"

"Oh? Where is it?"

"Oh...uh...well, it fell. It broke."

"What a shame," Brian said mechanically, "Oh, very well! Here! Try it!"

Scuffling and grunting noises.

"All right! That's enough! Your heel definitely won't go in. Your foot's too big! And I hate fuckin' fiddle music! Now, for the last time, I'm here because I heard some serious allegations about your condoms being prone to break and spreading FADES! I want to talk to Justin Taylor!"

"Who? There's no -"

Justin slid the card and turned the knob. CLICK! It seemed to spring open twice as easy as before.

Justin threw open the door in a big TA-DAH! type reveal. "Did I hear someone call my name?" he called innocently.

There he was. Wow, Prince Brian just got more gorgeous every time Justin saw him. He wore a black suit with a white shirt and a maroon tie. He wore a few golden chains including one with a large red ruby in it. On his head he wore a 5-inch thick gold coronet with a ring of rubies, sapphires, and emeralds set into it in an alternate pattern.

There he was. He had dirt on his face and soot in his hair but he knew those blue, blue eyes anywhere. He was wearing (what the hell was that anyway, sackcloth?) a tunic and wooden shoes and he was still the most beautiful man on Earth.

"I did, if you are Justin Taylor," Brian said, knowing very well he was."

"I-"

"Your Majesty, forgive me. This is my idiot stepson. We kept him down in the basement because he's a halfwit and we didn't want to cause a-"

"Prince Brian! Welcome to my home," Justin interrupted smoothly, "Would you like to sit down? Let me show you to our best chair. It is, of course, nothing like what you are used to at the palace, but it's the best we have. Can I get you anything to drink? Scotch? Jim Beam perhaps?"

"I love Jim Beam. But I'd rather keep a clear head right now, thank you. He doesn't sound half witted," he said to Craig.

"Well, I-I-I-I-I-"

"Do you know the penalty for lying to royalty?" asked Brian softly, dangerously.

"I-I-I-I-I-I-"

"Severe." Craig was sufficiently frightened into silence.

"I don't want to sit down," Brian growled, towering over Justin.

Justin gulped. "Yes sir."

"I like your apron message. It's hot."

"What?" (KISS THE COOK! HE'S GAY!) Justin blushed. "Oh yeah! Heh heh! It's just supposed to be - "

"Don't mind if I do," Brian moved in for a hard, closed mouth kiss.

"Oh, well, I was just wearing it for - mmmmphhhh -" The kiss was longer and the Prince's tongue flicked his lips before pulling back.

"Well, you are the Prince...mmmph...mmmmmmm..." A deep, consuming, killer kiss.

And then there was about a minute where time stopped.

"Just what the HELL is going on here!?" Craig yelled.

"Is he always like this?" Brian asked.

"Worse. Mostly," answered Justin.

"You three. Sit down and SHUT UP!" yelled Brian.

They sat down and shut up.

"So. Now you know. This is what I am. What I really am. As I said, a son...no, a stepson scorned and made a slave by his family. These are the only clothes I have to wear. Is it any wonder I accepted...outside help to go to your festival?"

"You did what?" Craig yelled.

Justin ignored him.

"I'm sorry Brian. I'm sorry I made you do a repeat. I'm sorry I had to knock you out for a few minutes. But I couldn't let you see me turn back into...into this. And most of all, I'm sorry I am ME!! I'm sorry I'm just a silly, cindered out, Cinderfella! You deserve the best."

"You're right. I do deserve the best!" Brian said.

Justin nodded miserably. He turned and began to walk back towards the dark maw of misery and despair that was the basement and his destiny.

He felt a pair of large, strong hands grip his shoulders. Justin froze and his heart stopped.

The large, strong hands turned him around. One hand snaked around his waist and mashed their crotches together. The other hand lifted his chin with a forefinger until he was looking into a pair of golden eyes.

Justin was hypnotized.

"The man I deserve gave me the three most amazing nights of my life. A night of beauty and purity. A night of dark and erotic kink. And a night of romance that I was looking for but would never let myself feel before. The man I seek, left a most distinctive shoe behind. I believe it will fit only him."

He held up the soft, leather loafer. "I believe this is yours."

"There's only one way to find out," said Justin softly.

"YAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! AND YOU'LL NEVER FIND OUT!!" With a burst of adrenaline and pure insanity, Craig burst up like an evil jack in the box. He broke between them, pushing them apart and off balance. He grabbed the loafer.

Michael jumped onto his father's back and tried to stop him. "No, Dad! It's over! Stop it! Stop it right now! "I'm not going to let you..."

But no one found out what he was not going to let him do because Craig threw him off and gave him a good roundhouse punch. Michael was thrown back. His head hit a wooden globe on the bottom of the banister. He was knocked unconscious.

Craig gave a shriek of triumph and threw the shoe into the fireplace..

"NOOO!" Brian grabbed the tongs and grabbed the flaming shoe. He carried it into the kitchen, threw it into the sink, and pumped water over it. But it was too late. With the combined fire and water damage, the shoe was a sodden misshapen lump.

"Why!? Why!? For once in your miserable life tell me why? Why are you so determined to make my life miserable! Why did you never show me the love and attention you show your own sons? Shouldn't the love and the memory of my mother be enough for you to at least let me be happy?"

"Why should it? I never loved your mother! I married her for her money, you idiot!"

"I knew it!" Justin screamed.

"And then she up and got FADES, so I knew she'd been unfaithful. I knew she'd gone outside our marriage. So I hated her all the more and you along with her. And then she died, and I was saddled with you even though you're not mine. How could I love you? Does a horse love a burr under his saddle? Can you love a rock that gets in your shoe?"

Justin nodded and ignored the knife of pain ripping through his gut.

"Wait a minute! FADES wasn't found to be an STD until after my mother died. How would you know if she got it that way unless...OH...MY...GOD! YOU KNEW! You knew FADES was sexually transmitted! You knew and you never told anybody! But how!?"

"I'd like to know that myself, said Brian.

"Please! You don't work in a condom factory without finding out a few things," was all that Craig would say.

"You...unmitigated...bastard! You'll come up on charges for this! And THIS!" he growled, holding up the shoe.

"For what! Ruining your outfit?" Craig laughed snidely.

"I am going to BREAK...YOUR...FACE!" growled Brian, pulling his fist back.

"Brian, wait! There's no need for that!"

"Oh yes there is! That shoe was the only physical proof as to who you are! Besides, this is going to make me feel sooo much better!"

"Granted. But you have my confession. And anyway, you don't need that shoe!"

Brian released Craig...for now. "And why not?"

"Because I have the other one here in my pocket," he said, reaching into the apron and producing it.

Rage. Stupefaction. Radiant joy. Guess which faces showed which emotion. Go on...guess.

BJBJBJBJBJBJ

It was a few minutes later. Michael had come to and was lying on his back with an icepack and a cushion under his head. He had a headache and a massive goose egg.

Justin sat in a chair and Brian knelt before him and put the shoe on him. It fit perfectly.

There whooshing sound and a rush of wind. Justin's rags blew away; the soot vanished and was replaced with his tux. Both shoes were rematerialized. He was Sunshine once more.

He still wore the apron. It looked a little strange but there was a reason.

"Before I came back up from the basement, I took a few minutes to retrieve some items I had hidden there. If you like, you may have them back."

He reached into the apron pocket. "Here. Here is the white gold ring you gave me when I was Starshine." He handed it to Brian. "It's too big for me anyway."

His relatives goggled.

"Here is the armband you gave me when I was Ash." He handed it to him. Brian took it numbly.

"And here is the scarf, you gave me last night when I was Sunshine." Justin hung it around the back of Brian's neck. "My, you're handsome in it. There, you see, I told you, if you found me again, you would find Starshine, Ash, and Sunshine, all together."

"Why would you hide these in the basement?" asked Brian.

"Because that's where I sleep and stay. I knew they'd be safe there."

"You make him sleep in the basement!?" Brian asked them incredulously.

Craig suddenly found a curtain fascinating.

Brian stood and drew off a plain gold chain from around his neck. He undid the clasp and slipped the ring onto it. He redid the clasp. He put the chain around Justin's neck. "You can wear this here until I have another made in your size," he said.

He fit the leather band around his left wrist. "You can wear this in bed when the time is right...and you top me," he said.

Justin gasped in excitement.

Brian hung the scarf around his neck. "This looks handsome on you too." He pulled on the ends, pulling Justin up and kissing him hard. "Wear it while you marry me."

"We'll have to wait a week. But yes. Yes, I'll marry you."

They kissed hard again in celebration and great joy. Craig just sat there. Michael still lay there on the floor.

"That's great, Justin! Now let's get out of here and get your brother some help!" Brian turned to look at Michael.

"Just tell me you love me," Justin said softly.

Brian froze. "What did you say?"

"Look Brian, I'll come with you, I'll even live with you. Or I can travel and wander the world if that doesn't work out. But I can't marry someone, bind myself forever, to a person who doesn't love me and can't tell me."

"Justin, you know I love you! Don't you?"

A tear ran down his Sunshine cheek. "Yes. I know. Today. But what about in a week? Or a month. Or in a few years? If you never tell me, I'll never really know."

"But they're just words. I can't...I just can't say it. Not yet. Please understand."

"All right Brian. You have a week anyway. I'll wait till then. Agreed?"

"Agreed."

"I may throw up! So, is this part of a sadistic punishment cause if it is I demand to know the charges!"

"OH, SHUT UP!!" they both yelled.

"Uh, guys...would you please take me with you? I don't want to be here anymore either. Could you take me to Sir Ben? He'll take care of me," said Michael.

"Sure, Mikey, no prob. You ready to go, Sunshine?"

"Oh yes! Oh, I do have to get a few things I left in the basement. Then we can get going."

Justin moved toward the basement door. At the same time Brian turned away and faced Craig. "OK, old man, GET UP! I'm placing you under arrest for withholding vital inform..." His gaze fell into a mirror on the wall. In horror, he saw Ethan appear out of nowhere with a large chunk of firewood.

"JUSTIN, LOOK OUT!" he yelled and turned.

Justin turned just as Ethan bashed him in the head with the chunk of wood. Justin was knocked right out his loafers and down through the basement door. There was a strange backlash and Ethan was thrown back into the coffee table, which broke under his weight.

"NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" screamed Brian.

Craig saw his chance and bolted up and punched Brian in the stomach. Brian collapsed and Craig kicked him in the stomach 4 times. "Ethan! Grab him!"

Together they dragged Brian over to the basement and threw him down before he could recover. "Since you looooove him so much, you can starve and die with him down there!" The door slammed and locked.

"Come on Ethan! Pack some things for you and your brother! We're leaving here forever and going to Ibiza!"

"Ibiza? What the hell's that?"

"Never mind! Will you shut up and get moving!"

"I don't want to go with you! I'm not leaving Ben!"

"I'm not leaving you here to turn against us! You're coming with us!"

"Justin! Brian, help me!"

"Shut up, or I'll kick you in the other side of your head!"

But Brian had stopped listening. He was staring down in horror into the basement.

Justin was lying face down at the bottom of the stairs. He was back in his rags and bare feet, having been knocked out of his loafers. He looked so small as he lay there unmoving, as still as death.

 

TBC