- Text Size +

BRIAN

 

You know one of the things that always bothered me in this life. Well a lot of things did, but this one was the one I still can’t figure out. I was suppose to sign my rights away, right. Why did I need to provide life insurance on a kid that wasn’t supposed to be my responsibility? I look back now and see it was a power play, but who was the power behind it? I always wanted to believe it was Mel, but you know, to her it would be telling me Gus was my child, not hers. I guess Wendy was pulling the strings and we were the puppets. Well they aren’t going to like the new string I’m going to add.

 

“A million dollars, why do I have to provide the insurance policy?” I look at Lindsay. By the way Big Guy, this isn’t going to go as planned.

 

“We want to make sure our son is provided for.” Lindsay tells me.

 

“Our child? You mean yours and Mel’s or am I now a father, you know, with visitation and privileges?” I ask them.

 

“Brian, we are the parents.” Mel tells me.

 

“Then what am I?” I ask her.

 

“The sperm donor.” Mel tells me.

 

“The donor with rights?” I ask again. 

 

“Brian we are going to be the custodial parents, we are the ones responsible for Gus.” Mel spells out.

 

“Good to know, then explain to me again why am I providing life insurance for your child?” I figure I’ll keep asking till they can give me a real answer.

 

“You told me you wanted to help us.” Lindsay tells me. Seems like Wendy thought this up.

 

“I don’t have a problem with providing Gus with his needs. What I want to know is why is it my responsibility to provide life insurance on a child that you and Mel are supposed to fully support? One that I have absolutely no rights to?” I ask again. Jesus, it’s like Michael is here and not on his hetero date, which I made love sick Ted drive him to.

 

“Brian, I wanted to make sure if something happened to you, Gus isn’t left out.” Lindsay tells me. Guess I found out who was behind this.

 

“I can agree to a policy, but I want to change the person who holds it for Gus until he’s eighteen.” I tell them. I have a feeling Lindsay isn’t going to like this.

 

“Who, Michael? Brian he isn’t the person you want holding onto Gus’s money.” Lindsay tells me.

 

“I wouldn’t do that to either of you. It’s not like Michael is going to be the father figure, after I’m gone. I have someone else in mind. I just need to talk to him about it.” I tell them.

 

“What is wrong with me being the one?” Lindsay asks me.

 

“Nothing, I just don’t see why you need to be the one. I plan to live a long life, so most likely Gus won’t need a trustee.” I tell them.

 

“You're willing to do it?” Mel asks me.

 

“Of course, it’s Gus who’s important. You’re providing him with policies too, right?” I ask them.

 

“With your policy he will be provided for, why would he need us to have policies?” Lindsay asks me.

 

“Because as Gus’s mommies, should you be the ones with the policies. I mean Mel loves to point out that I’m nothing but the sperm that hit the egg. You told me that you and Mel were going to be his parents, where exactly does that relieve you of your financial responsibility?” I really love knowing things.

 

“We’ll be supporting him, while he grows up.” Mel tells me.

 

“So you're not going to provide your child with a life insurance policy Mel?” I ask her.

 

“I can’t, my policy goes to my family, they don’t allow me to put Lindsay on it.” Mel tells me. I know better than that, I had one for Justin, in case I died before him.

 

“Mel, it’s a beneficiary, anybody can be named, including Lindsay and Gus. It doesn’t have to be your family, try again and this time make it more believable.” I tell her.

 

“Lindsay felt it was something you would want to do for Gus.” Mel tells me. Glad to know who started this shit.

 

“You and Lindsay need to show me policies where you name Gus, and I’ll sign on the dotted line.” I tell them.

 

“Brian, we couldn’t get policies for that much.” Lindsay, or should I say the greedy bitch, tells me.

 

“We either all get policies for Gus, or you two are shit out of luck. If I sign that policy, and you don’t have one, I don’t sign my rights over to you.” I’m not going to anyway.

 

“I can’t believe what a selfish asshole you can be. He’s your son.” Mel sneers at me.

 

“I guess he’s my son when it’s convenient for you two. How am I being selfish, by asking you two to get policies too?” This is actually kind of fun.

 

“You're making a big deal out of taking care of Gus, what if you get sick?” Mel pulled that one out. Didn’t know if I would hear it, since I didn’t follow the last time.

 

“I’m just asking for us to be equal, why are you so resistant to it?” I ask Mel.

 

“I DON’T HAVE ANY RIGHTS TO GUS.” Mel yells. Gus starts to cry, I want to snatch him from Lindsay, she’s just staring at us. She needs to calm him.

 

“When I don’t sign this, is your next step baking cookies and trying to convince me to give up my rights?” I ask them. I know it was the trip to the hospital, but Mel isn’t going to keep holding this policy over me, when I want something.

 

“Brian, you already agreed to give up your rights to Mel.” Lindsay says it so sweetly.

 

“I did, but if I’m going to be the only person to have a policy, we need to change the agreement. I mean you know me, future AIDs patient.” I look at Mel.

 

“Look at your life Brian, it’s only a matter of time. You trick every night, with people you don’t even know. You're bound to fuck up.” Mel tells me.

 

“I’m always careful, and truthfully, I don’t think I’ll be doing that as much anymore.” I tell them.

 

“Please tell me you aren’t talking about that kid Justin.” Lindsay tells me.

 

“Why not, I think he’s the one.” I tell them.

 

“You mean the one right now.” Mel tells me. 

 

“No, I think he’s the one. I can see us buying a country manor, and getting away from this lifestyle.” I didn’t think Lindsay could turn that red.

 

“Brian, he’s a kid. If you're trying to distract us from the subject, knock it off.” Lindsay tells me.

 

“Brian, if you think Justin can be the trustee, he can’t, he is only seventeen.” Mel points out. Can you say pissed off munchers?

 

“No, I want Emmett in charge of the policy.” I tell them.

 

“Why Emmett, Brian are you trying to say you don’t trust us?” Lindsay asks me.

 

“I’m saying that if I take out the policy, I choose the trustee. It’s not like either of you are going to name me on your policies.” I tell them.

 

“We’re not planning on getting policies, yours will take care of him.” Mel tells me.

 

“Well, I guess you two better come up with another plan. I will provide a policy but with the person I want on it. You two can do the same. I also want to talk to my lawyer about the adoption. I want to retain rights to MY SON.” I tell them.

 

“Brian, we need to think about this, can we talk about it this weekend?” Lindsay asks me.

 

“Nope, I have a date for the weekend. I want to take Justin on a trip.” I just wanted to see Lindsay freak out.

 

“Brian, what the hell are you doing? You just met him.” Lindsey is staring at me, like she wants to read my mind.

 

“Guys are different, we meet, we fuck, and we move in eventually. We don’t need to throw parties to tell everyone.” I tell them.

 

“He isn’t moving in with you. Do you understand me?” Lindsay commands me.

 

“Why do you think you get an opinion on this?” I ask her.

 

“Brian go fuck someone and get this stupid idea out of your system.” Lindsay gets up and leaves the room with Gus. She was almost running out of the room. Mel and I watch her.

 

“Brian, I have to go check on her, can we do this another day?” Mel asks me.

 

I shrug and turn to walk out of the living room. I get to the door and hear Mel say, “Brian Kinney in a relationship, didn’t think I would ever live to see that.” 

 

“Brian Kinney isn’t going to play Peter to Wendy anymore either.” I tell her. She nods and I walk out of the house. I think Mel and I just came to an understanding.

 

I look at the time, shit, I missed Woody’s. I guess I can go home and wait for him. My phone rings and Michael is calling me.

 

“Where are you, that kid is here.” Michael tells me.

 

“Just left Mel and Lindsay’s, tell him to come to the loft.” I tell him.

 

“Fuck, I’ll handle it for you.” Michael tells me and hangs up. What does he think he’s going to do? I tried calling him back and he didn’t answer. I don’t know what they did after I left that night. I just know Justin ended up coming to my loft. I guess I can wait for him. I also want to know what Michael said to him.

 

I waited a couple hours, then finally there was a knock on the door. I open it to see him standing there. He looks nervous, I grab his arm and drag him in. 

 

“Hey, I just wanted to see you.” Justin tells me.

 

“Can we fuck and then talk?” I ask him.

 

Justin smiles and we head to the bedroom.