- Text Size +

BRIAN 

 

It was hard to sleep. I kept wanting to wake Justin up, to make sure he stayed, but instead I waited for him to wake up. One look and I knew he was still there. My Justin.

 

We were back in sync with each other. Justin wandered into the shower and waited for me. We had our morning shower sex and started getting ready for the day. It was hard to drop him off at St James, I know what happens to him in that school. Justin assured me he could handle it. It helped that he knew what he was walking into, this time.

 

Michael texted instead of calling, guess he's still trying to think of a way out of what he said. Justin was going to go home from school, he said his mother was starting to realize he was gay, so they were going to be dealing with her inability to understand Craig was a dick, one who didn't want a gay son. I decided that Michael could meet me at the diner tonight, if he still thinks I care what he thinks. I texted it to him, he asked if we could meet at Deb’s house. Guess he is staging an intervention. Good luck, if he thinks I care. Well, I guess I’ll be taking Justin with me to the meeting.

 

MICHAEL 

 

I got to my apartment and everything felt wrong. Brian letting the trick’s friend mouth off, and then telling ME to leave. What's with all the changes lately? I wanted to talk to Ma, but I had to wait till this morning. 

 

“Baby, what's crawled up your ass this morning?” She asks me. “or should I say what did Brian do now?”

 

“I just don’t understand him lately. First he is acting like an asshole, all last month. Instead of spending time with me, he was always busy. Then he started acting like himself again, until he met that kid.” I tell her.

 

“What kid, Sunshine?” She asks me.

 

“Yeah, he took him home with him the night Gus was born and he’s actually been seeing him. I found out they’re planning a trip to Vermont this weekend. What the hell, Brian doesn’t do that.” I tell her.

 

“Maybe he really likes the kid. He’s young, but he seemed really sweet.” She tells me.

 

“He changed his locks and codes, if I want to go over there, I have to be let in.” I complain to Ma.

 

“Michael, why do you need a key? I never understood that. I mean you don’t go over there unless he’s home, so he can let you in.” Ma doesn’t get it. Brian would have wanted me to have the key.

 

 

“It’s just something he always let me and Lindsay have. Ma, he acts like he’s in love with the kid.” I tell her.

 

“If he is, that’s his business Michael.” Uncle Vic tells me as he sits down.

 

“Brian doesn’t do boyfriends, Vic.” I tell him.

 

“Michael, it’s time for you to face the fact that Brian might be ready for a relationship. This kid might be who he wants. It’s not about you.” Vic tells me.

 

“Vic, Brian always takes care of Michael. Even if he’s in a relationship with someone else at the moment, he still needs to be there for Michael.” Ma tells Vic.

 

“Why, aren’t you old enough to start running your own life Michael?” Uncle Vic asks me.

 

“It doesn’t mean my best friend can abandon our friendship.” I tell him.

 

“It also doesn’t mean he has to live his life according to you and your mother.” Uncle Vic tells me.

 

“He told me we could talk today. He’d better be ready to explain to me why he is acting like this kid is more important to him than I am.” I tell them.

 

“Brian shouldn’t have to explain his choices to you. You need to understand that being his best friend doesn’t make you the keeper of his soul.” Uncle Vic tells me.

 

“Maybe we should all talk to him.” Ma tells us. Uncle Vic rolls his eyes at Ma. 

 

“You know we should call everyone and have them meet at Ma’s. Brian can’t ignore everyone.” I decide that’s what we’re going to do. I get up and start calling everyone. 

 

VIC

 

I can’t figure out why all these people think they get to voice their opinion on Brian’s life. If I was him, I’d turn around and leave the minute he see them sitting there waiting. I only stayed to try to be the voice of reason, but I think that left the building as soon as Michael and Lindsay started talking to each other. Emmett seems to be staying out of it. Ted would, but he’s still pining for Michael, hopefully that will end soon. Listening to Lindsay and Michael, you would think they were Brian’s partner, not this kid everyone is talking about.

 

“Brian let this kid’s friend talk to me like I was in the wrong.” Michael tells Lindsay. I look to see how Deb is taking this. Shit this is going to be a mess. Deb is in ‘Michael can do no wrong mode.’

 

“Emmett, did he tell you he ordered Mel not to have the Bris?” Lindsay looks at Emmett.

 

“We talked about it.” Emmett tells her.

 

“Did you tell him, he shouldn’t be telling us how to raise Gus?” Lindsay asks Emmett. It sounds more like she is trying to tell him what to think.

 

“No, but I did wonder why you and Mel asked him to get a life insurance policy.” Emmett tells her.

 

“Brian told them he would help them. It’s not like it’s a big deal.” Michael tells Emmett.

 

“I just think if Lindsay and Mel are so insistent that Brian isn’t going to have any say in Gus’s life, then they shouldn’t be asking for financial support.” Emmett looks at the girls. Interesting they did that, I have to agree with Emmett.

 

“Look we’re here to talk to Brian about the kid he is suddenly running around with.” Lindsay tells us. Mel seems to be looking anywhere but Lindsay.

 

“Brian should explain to Michael why he’s treating him badly. Vic, he kicked Michael out last night.” Deb tells me. I had so much hope when she agreed Michael didn’t need a key to Brian’s loft.

 

“He also needs to explain why he wants Emmett on the policy.” Lindsay tells us. Why does that matter to her? Didn’t she just say we weren’t here to talk about that?

 

“I just want my best friend to stop acting like he’s been abducted by Morphisto.” Michael tells us. 

 

“Did you say my fist?” Deb asks Michael.

 

“No MORPHISTO, the villain from Captain Astro.” Michael tells her. I can’t believe they think they can talk sense into anyone.

 

I hear the Jeep pull up and wait for the group to descend on Brian like locusts. We sit and wait for him to come in, and wait. I hear Brian whispering to someone. Deb gets impatient and opens the door. I have to say from behind the kid has my attention. 

 

“Can you at least come in the house before you fuck Sunshine?” Deb asks Brian.

 

“I think we’d have a better time out here Deb.” Brian tells her.

 

“Get your ass in the house.” Deb pulls Sunshine in, knowing Brian will have to follow if he wants Sunshine.

 

“Hi Deb, nice to see you again.” The kid tells her. Maybe someone will tell us his name.

 

“You too sweetie, everyone this is Sunshine.” Deb smiles at him. 

 

“Most people call me Justin.” Justin tells us. 

 

“Isn’t he adorable? Don’t let Brian treat you like shit.” Deb tells Justin.

 

“Justin can handle me.” Brian tells her.

 

“Brian, can we talk in the back?” Lindsay asks Brian.

 

“No, I think it’s time everyone talks in front of the whole group. I don’t want to have any misunderstanding about what was said.” Brian tells her.

 

“Emmett, maybe you can take Justin outside.” Michael tells Emmett.

 

“No, I told you just two seconds ago, if you want to say something you say it in front of everyone. You can tell Justin I’m a selfish prick, but you can say it in front of me.” Brian tells them.

 

“Michael, why would you say that?” Deb asks him.

 

“I was just trying to help the kid. Brian is going to dump him, no matter what Brian thinks right now.” Michael tells everyone.

 

“Brian you shouldn’t lead him on. I’m sorry Justin but Michael is right, Brian isn’t someone you want a relationship with.” Lindsay tells Justin.

 

I watch Justin, he seems almost amused by them. He hasn’t said a word, he’s just watching them.

 

“Brian, you should be here this weekend, not on some trip with the kid. Mel and Lindsay were planning a party to celebrate Gus.” Michael tells Brian.

 

“You mean the Bris. Do you know what a Bris is?” Brian asks Michael.

 

“Isn’t it like a baby welcoming party?” Michael needs to read something other than comics.

 

“No, it’s a party where all the adults stand around and we watch a Rabbi cut Gus’s dick.” Brian tells Michael.

 

“Why the hell are you two inviting people to see that?” Michael looks horrified.

 

“We aren’t now. God Kinney has spoken and we aren’t allowed to do anything unless he agrees to let us.” Mel bitches.

 

“Brian, why are you trying to ruin the party?” Lindsay turns on her charm. Justin stares at her like she is an amazing exhibit.

 

“Why are you all here? I came to listen to Michael tell me how to run my life. I planned on telling him to get a life. You can party all you want, just leave out the circumcision.” Brian tells them.

 

“Brian you really need to think about what you're doing. Justin might think you want more than you do.” Lindsay tells him.

 

“Hi, Lindsay, since we haven’t actually been properly introduced, I’m Justin Taylor. I just wanted to ask, why do you care what happens to me? I don’t know you and you don’t know me. You are acting like Brian is your husband and cheating on you. You do realize he’s gay, right?  Brian wanted me to meet you, since I like to paint, but if this is what I have to look forward to, I doubt you can get past my age and I couldn’t get past your entitlement issues.” Justin turns to Mel, “I assumed with being a lawyer, Mel, you could see this from all sides and help to come to a solution, one that is best for Gus. Do you think Brian wanting to protect a child, the one you three share, is a bad thing? I hope you’re a better person that that.” He turns to Michael and looks confused as he asks, “Michael, why are we here tonight?”  

 

I love the kid already. The three of them close their mouths, I think history has just been made. He needs to teach us all how to do that.

 

MICHAEL

 

Why is the kid talking? This is about my best friend treating me like he doesn’t care about me. I had to sit there trying to come up with why Brian needs to be here. Damn it, I had all these reasons but none that are going to sound like a reason. I decided to go with what I know.

 

“I wanted to know why Brian is acting like we aren’t friends. Brian and I have always been there for each other. You come along and suddenly he changes his locks and wants to run off for the weekend.” I tell Justin.

 

“I think the idea of you busting in on us is the reason Michael. I would hope if you were fucking someone you lock your doors.” Justin tells me. What do I say to that, I turn to Brian and Lindsay. I don’t have time to try to think of something the kid won’t argue with.

 

“You changed your locks? I hope you made extra keys.” Lindsay tells Brian.

 

“I did, the people who get them already have them.” Brian tells us.

 

“I didn’t get one.” Lindsay and I say at the same time.

 

“Why do you need one?” Brian asks Lindsay. Justin tilts his head and looks at me. Fuck, I’ll wait till I can speak to Brian alone.

 

“Because of Gus.” Lindsay tells him.

 

“Sorry to interrupt again, but because of Gus? I don’t understand.” Why is the kid talking, this is about us, not him.

 

“If I need to talk... to Brian... about Gus.” Lindsay stutters through that. 

 

“Then call him, no need for a key.” Emmett tells her. Why is Emmett helping Brian?

 

“What if Brian needs us to do something for him.” I point out. Emmett looks at me like he’s disappointed in me.

 

“Since Justin will probably be moving in soon, I’ll just call him.” Brian tells us.

 

“Brian he’s seventeen, he needs to live with his parents.” Ma tells Brian. Thank you Ma.

 

“His parents are going to kick him out for being gay, Deb.” Brian tells her.

 

“Is that true Sunshine?” Ma asks, when Justin nods. Ma offers, “He can live with me.” 

 

“Deb, he’s about to turn eighteen and I want him to live with me.” Brian tells her. 

 

“Where would he stay anyway? He’s not staying in my room.” I say to Ma.

 

“As entertaining as this has been, I have things to do to Justin tonight. Unless you have anything to add that would make this intervention make sense, we’re leaving.” Brian tells us.

 

“Brian, maybe we should all go with you guys this weekend.” I tell him. We could keep an eye on Brian.

 

“Later, and no don’t think about coming. Any of you.” Brian tells us.

 

They turn and walk out of the house holding hands, Lindsay gets up and runs after them. 

 

LINDSAY

 

He is not going to get away with this, he needs to explain to me why he’s taking a kid on a romantic getaway. I follow them out the door.

 

“Brian, we need to talk.” I tell him.

 

“Didn’t I just sit in a room and let you do that?” Brian asks me.

 

“You weren’t listening, or we would have resolved this.” I tell him.

 

“Resolved what? All I heard in there was you and Michael are butt hurt because I won’t do what you two decided was the right thing.” Brian tells me. Brian closes his door and starts the Jeep, I try to say something but he rolls up the window and leaves me standing there.

 

BRIAN

 

Justin is laughing like a hyena. “Calm down twat.” I tell him.

 

“Do you ever feel your IQ points dropping when they want to make a point.” He asks me.

 

“Was there even a point to that?” I ask him.

 

“I think they wanted you to assure them they were still important to you.” Justin tells me.

 

“I think we need to get the hell away from them.” I tell him.

 

“We leave tomorrow, you can deal with them for one more day.” Justin tells me.

 

“You enjoy the fact that they still don’t know you, don’t you?” I tell the twat.

 

“I have to say, watching them, knowing them the way I do, makes it more fun.” Justin smiles.

 

“You're still pissed at Lindsay, because unlike Mel and Michael, you practically wrote her off.” I tell him.

 

“Yes, but because no matter what way I look at it she was the catalyst. It all started with her. I just don’t know why.” Justin tells me. It’s something we can talk to Marilyn about, but we can wait till we get back.