- Text Size +

BRIAN

 

We got up in the morning and headed to the diner, Justin wanted a lumberjack special. I almost hope he has to fight his weight later in life. We walked in to Deb commenting,

 

“I’ve been trying to call you all weekend. Couldn’t get your dick out of Sunshine’s ass long enough to answer the phone?” Deb smiles and pinches Justin’s cheeks.

 

“Hey Deb, we’ve been dealing with your son and Lindsay the last two days.” Justin tells her.

 

“Sweetie, they come with Brian.” She tells him.

 

“Not if I have anything to say about it. I will not put Justin through the shit those two spew all over everyone.” I tell her.

 

“Just be prepared for them to fight you on it. I told them all this shit is going to stop.” Deb tells us.

 

“Maybe we’ll get lucky and Mikey will find a date.” I tell her.

 

“From your lips to God’s ears, maybe then he’ll quit chasing after you.” Deb tells us.

 

“I need to feed Sunshine or he’ll go to school hungry.” I tell her.

 

“Have a seat, one lumberjack special coming up. You want your usual?” She ask me.

 

“How did you know I wanted a lumberjack Deb?” Justin asks her.

 

“You’re with Brian, he tends to suck all the energy out of his tricks.” She tells Justin. 

 

“Deb, Justin isn’t a trick.” I tell her.

 

“Didn’t say he was, I just know what a night with you does to a guy. They all end up here and eat like they haven’t had food in days.” Deb tells me. 

 

I drag a giggling Justin to a booth and he gets up and goes to get the coffee. Can take the kid out of the diner but can’t take the diner out of the kid.

 

“Sunshine, I’ll do that.” She tells him.

 

“I don’t mind, you're going to have your hands full in a couple minutes.” He tells her.

 

“You need a job?” She tells him as he wanders around taking care of everyone. 

 

“I probably will, because my parents aren’t going to support me soon.” He tells her.

 

“Come by after school and I’ll get you started.” She tells him.

 

Justin finally puts down the coffee and sits with me. “Why are you trying to get a job?” I ask him.

 

“I’m going to contribute as much as I can.” He tells me.

 

“Justin, I never minded taking care of you.” I tell him.

 

“I don’t want everyone accusing me of sponging off of you.” He tells me.

 

“Why do you care what they think?” He never seem to care before.

 

“It’s just one more strike against me, I won’t let Michael accuse me of using you for your money.” He tells me.

 

“I’m not going to take your money.” I tell him. I want him to concentrate on school. Maybe he can graduate this time.

 

“Then put it in an account to stop Stockwell. It should be at least ten thousand of the hundred thousand you're going to spend.” Justin tells me.

 

“Who’s Stockwell?” Ted asks as he and Blake sit down. 

 

Guess Ted is keeping Blake around. I hope he enjoys trying to clean up the mess that is Blake right now. 

 

“Just some prick.” I tell them.

 

“Hey guys.” Emmett tells us as he scoots me over.

 

“Emmett, this is Blake.” Ted introduces them.

 

“Sweetie, you really need to lay off the crystal.” Emmett tells Blake.

 

“Emmett, what the hell?” Ted asks him.

 

“I’m trying to get help, Ted and I talked about it.” Blake tells Emmett.

 

“Where’s Michael?” I ask Emmett.

 

“He went to work, he told me it’s going to be a late night. Inventory I think.” Emmett tells us.

 

“Here you go boys, I’ll get yours in a sec, Emmett.” Deb tells us.

 

I look at the door and see Jen walking in. Guess it’s time to meet the parents. I nudge Justin. He looks at his mother and waits as she tries to get to the table. Poor Jen isn’t used to this scene.

 

“Justin, can we talk?” She asks him. Justin climbs over me and gets out of the booth.

 

“Who’s that?” Deb asks us.

 

“Justin’s mother.” I tell her. Jen looks at me and I can see her trying to place me.

 

“If you want to talk Mom, let’s go outside.” Justin tells her.

 

Justin turns and walks out the door, his mother stands there for a second, then turns to catch Justin.

 

JUSTIN

 

I almost wanted to ask how she found me, but she probably came in here to see if anyone had seen me. I want her to be the mom she became, but it’s going to take her time. I also don’t want to be the jackass I was to her. I want to try to make this easier on her.

 

“Justin, you need to come home. We need to talk as a family.” She tells me.

 

“I’ll come home, but when Dad does what I already told you he would, don’t expect me to come back. Mom, I love you, I just want you to know that.” I tell her.

 

“Justin I love you too.” She tells me. I let her hug me.

 

“Mom, maybe it would help you to talk to someone who went through this.” I whisper in her ear.

 

“Who would I talk to, nobody would admit to it in our circle.” She tells me.

 

“Deb, the waitress in the diner, her son Michael is gay.” I tell her.

 

“I don’t know if it will help.” She squeezes me tighter.

 

“You could come to the art show at the GLC, someone wants to hang my art in the show.” I offer her. I can’t help it, she tried so hard to keep our family from falling apart. I want to try to make this easier for her.

 

“Mom, just tell Dad. It’s going to get ugly, and just be happy that I’m not going to say anything that is going to make it worse.” I tell her.

 

“Justin, you want me to wrap up your breakfast?” Deb comes out and asks.

 

“Yes, but come and meet my mom. Mom this is Deb, the woman I was telling you about.” I tell my mom.

 

“It’s nice to meet you.” Deb tells her.

 

“Justin told me you have a son that’s…” Mom still can’t say it.

 

“Is gay, yes. Sweetheart if you don’t say it, it doesn’t make it any less true.” Deb always knew how to throw it in your face.

 

“I don’t care, he’s my son and I love him, no matter what.” Mom tells me. I smile because she proved that later.

 

“Love him and you’ll never lose him. If you ever need to talk, I’m here. Sunshine, I’ll get your food packed up. Let your mother take you to school. I’ll make sure Brian understands.” Deb tells me.

 

“Is Brian your…” Mom is trying.

 

“Yes, but maybe you could meet him when it won’t freak you out.” I tell her.

 

“I hope he’s not that man you were sitting with, he’s too old for you.” She tells me. I wanted to ask her about stud boy Tucker, but right now she won’t have a clue what I’m talking about. 

 

“He’s not that old.” I tell her.

 

“You know what, I think you're right, I’m not ready for that yet.” She tells me.

 

I wait for Deb to bring my food, Mom keeps staring at Brian, I look at him. If I was her, would I have been able to get past his age? I really can’t say I could, shit this sucks. Brian comes outside, he wasn’t going to hide, it went against everything he believes in.

 

“Mrs. Taylor, I wanted to introduce myself, Brian Kinney.” Brian says, extending his hand to my mom.What is Brian up to?

 

“Jennifer, if you're going to be in my son’s life, it’s Jennifer. You fucking hurt my son and I’ll make sure you regret it.” Mom tells Brian, shaking his hand.

 

“I love your son, if that helps at all.” Brian tells her.

 

“I’ll reserve judgement on that. I think it would be better not to mention your boyfriend to your father.” Mom tells me.

 

“I’m not going to talk to him.” I tell her.

 

“Justin’s going to be late for school, and I have to get to work.” Brian leans over and pecks me on the lips. He’s being awfully reserved for Brian.

 

“I loved your mother, she accepted me.” He whispers to me.

 

“Jennifer, maybe we could have dinner one night?” Brian offers.

 

“Let’s hope my husband takes this conversation well, but I’ll take you up on that.” She tells him.

 

I get my breakfast from Brian and drag my mother to the car. She keeps looking at him.

 

“I swear I’ve seen him somewhere.” She tells me.

 

“He lives here, so you most likely have.” I tell her. 

 

“Justin, I don’t know if I can approve of you dating a grown man.” She tells me.

 

“I turn eighteen soon, so it won’t matter if you approve or not.” I tell her.

 

“How long have you known this man?” She asks me.

 

“A while, but we just recently started a relationship.” I would love to tell her a century or two, but I doubt she’d believe me.

 

“I don’t understand what he would see in a child…” Mom stops then says, “I can’t not judge him for this.” 

 

“You're my mom, you’ll never really approve of anyone. He takes care of me, does that help?” I ask her.

 

We arrive in front of the school. One of the assholes yells faggot at me. Mom jumped out of the car and wanted him to repeat what he just said. The guy rolls his eyes and walks into the school.

 

“Are you being bullied?” She asks me.

 

“Mom, it’s been going on for years. I’m almost done, then I won’t have to put up with this anymore.” I tell her.

 

“I should talk to your principal.” She tells me.

 

“They are all homophobic assholes Mom, it won’t help.” I tell her.

 

“Justin.” She wants to do something.

 

“Trust me, I can deal with this. Go home and wait for Dad. Call me if you need me.” I tell her. 

 

She gets back in the car and I can tell she wants to go into the school, but nothing got better, so it was just a useless exercise. She pulls away and I hope she isn’t too disappointed when Craig acts like I predicted.