- Text Size +

BRIAN 

 

Justin and I arrive early, I wanted a chance to talk to Deb alone. She stood at the counter and glared at me, which means I have to kiss her ass for forgiveness. I almost did it, but I promised myself no more groveling to the Novotny clan. I lead Justin to a booth and decided to let Deb come to me. 

 

“Brian let me handle this, Deb will be less bitchy with me.”Justin tells me.

 

“I wasn’t going to make a big issue out of this, I just refuse to let her use me going to her as a power play.” I tell him.

 

“You do realize we’re dealing with Deb. Everything is a power play. I just think she would listen to me. She doesn’t know any weak points about me, so she can’t use them.” Justin tells me.

 

“Just don’t make it worse.” I tell him. Deb walks over to us and I can see she is waiting for me to make the first move. 

 

“Morning Sunshine, I see you’re still with Asshole.” Deb expects me to apologize after that greeting? Justin starts looking around the diner. The twat gets up and looks behind him, at the counter and then all the other tables.

 

“What are you looking for Sunshine?” Deb asks him.

 

“The person you called asshole.” Justin gives her a confused look.

 

“You're sitting next to him.” She tells him. 

 

“You mean Brian, because when you say asshole, you imply a broad range of people. Yes, I'm still with Brian, if that was to whom you were referring. Wait, is that what the ‘A’ in your name stands for? I thought you told me it was for Aiden. It’s what Brian told my mom, or did you not want to offend her ears, with such a rudely unfortunate name? If Asshole is your middle name, then I can promise you my mom wouldn't use it, she would respect you not wanting to be called by it. If it isn’t, then why can’t Deb get your name right? She must not love you the way she told my mom, or she would use your name. Unless you call everyone else other names, like the one you gave me.” Justin watches a confused Deb, but continues. “What's Michael’s pet name? If you don’t have one Deb, I thought of a few. Needy, self absorbed, whining, foot in mouth, dick head, but we probably should shorten it to something like Captain Shithead, easier to say. Since I was raised as a WASP, we tend to just say he’s SPECIAL and leave out all the insults. What was your question again?” Justin smiling through the whole thing made it harder for Deb to say anything. 

 

“Brian needs to apologize for the way he acted. He should have come to me, not walked to the booth.” Deb looks so confused. “I don’t appreciate you insulting Michael.” She glares at Justin. 

 

“Before he does, can I ask you what wonderful enlightened things you were planning on telling my mom? That way Brian can also apologize for thinking it would go something like, ‘The asshole is too selfish give your son what he wants’. Because if that's what you were going to say, Brian should get an apology for all the years he gave in to your son and you.” Justin tells her. 

 

“Sunshine, if you knew Brian the way I did…” Justin cuts her off.

 

“Here’s the thing Deb, what I know is that you seem to think cleaning up a few scrapes and bruises gives you the right to pass judgement on anything Brian does. I always thought if you profess to love someone like a son, you want the best for them and try to help them. That the way you treat them is the same. I always hated the way the other parents in my parents circle always treated one child like they walked on water, and expected the other kids to do everything for the ‘SPECIAL CHILD’. You wouldn’t be that kind of parent, everyone is saying how you love them all equally. To me, it makes you super mom, that you wouldn't do something so petty. I would be so disappointed in myself for thinking you weren’t like the crappy parents I’ve been raised around.” Justin tells her. 

 

“I do love Brian like my own.” Deb defends herself.

 

“Then show it, and understand that meeting my mother wouldn’t be easy for Brian. He wanted to be able to show her he wasn't an evil asshole, someone who stole her son, but a man who loves me. Having you there, telling her he fucks all of Pittsburgh, might not sound very encouraging to a woman that still has trouble saying I’m gay. Give Brian the leeway you give to your son. You wouldn’t walk up to Michael with someone new and tell the guy you hope your son is getting some. I mean, how embarrassing would that be for Michael? Not to mention it doesn’t make a great impression of you.” Justin is really laying it on thick.

 

“Sunshine, don't mistake fucking for love. Brian has only ever told my Michael he loves him.” Deb tells him. 

 

“Wow, I get to be the only other person he’s told that to. Aww Brian, I love you too. It means so much to me that you don't toss it out like other people do. It becomes meaningless when people say it, yet treat the words so carelessly. Don’t you agree Deb?” Justin asks her.

 

Deb just stands there, I think that Justin has just rendered her speechless. I really need to stop him before he gives Deb her whole history of mistakes. I was just having too much fun watching my genius at work.

 

“Brian, I know I would have probably said some of the things that Justin just mentioned. I just don’t want his mother to think…” Deb stopped and I could see her trying to word it to sound less like I’m a selfish man who will screw over Justin.

 

“Deb, can we just say neither of us were on our best behavior and let it go. Before you answer, you need to know, I love Justin. I’m not playing at this, he means more than anything in my life to me. The only person who will come first before Justin is Gus. I won’t sit back and have Jen think I’m going to hurt him.” I tell her. 

 

“Oh Brian, you really told him.” She starts crying.

 

“Yes, I told him. I love the twat.” I tell her.

 

“Sunshine, I hope you know I was only looking out for both of you. Let me get your order before I flood the place.” Deb wipes her eyes and waits for us to order.

 

“I think I’ll have four eggs, bacon, toast and a large orange Juice. Wait, can I get hashbrowns with chili… no gravy, and pancakes.” Justin tells her. I can only stare at him.

 

“Oatmeal, Brian?” Deb asks me.

 

“I almost want to take Justin to the hospital and get his cholesterol tested. I think I’ll have two egg whites and toast.” I tell her.

 

“Brian, he’s still growing. You should be thrilled, he could be growing where you want him to.” Deb smirks at me.

 

“He’s grown well in that area.” I smirk back.

 

“Lucky you, I’ll go get my sons some food.” Deb tells us and walks to the window.

 

“I just realized neither of us had to apologize. How did that happen?” I ask him.

 

“Genius power, we talk so much and say so little, that by the time you realize we have just said something over and over in a different way, you give up. Which you know, Mr 1510.” Justin tells me. I will never get to use his score against him again. Wait, he’s going to score higher, I just have to wait then.

 

Justin and I look at the door when the bell rings and see a very bright Emmett coming in with Ted. I know Emmett likes to show his flame, but did he have to flick the lighter up to blowtorch?

 

“Um, what do you think pissed Emmett off?” Justin asks me.

 

“He always dresses like that.” I tell Justin. 

 

“I have never, in all the years of knowing Emmett seen him in hot pink shorts and a neon yellow top. I really want to steal your sunglasses.” Justin tells me.

 

Emmett turns and waves to Deb. No Emmett, just no. We are too old for our asses to hang out of shorts. Justin is right, something pissed off our Queen. I watch as he sashays over to us. He is putting a little too much sway in it, if there were lamps on the tables, he’d be knocking them off. At least we won’t have to ask, Emmett is bound to tell us.

 

“Morning Baby, Brian, don’t you just love my new outfit?” He asks us.

 

You know when even Deb is looking at Emmett’s outfit and thinks it’s out there, it’s out there. Deb walks over just in time to hear the rest of Emmett's speech.

 

“I mean I guess the reason men don’t ask me out is because I don’t dress like Michael, and I tend to flame to much. I mean he told me I’m a great guy but men don’t want to be embarrassed to date a girl like me.” Emmett says. I see Michael entering and heading to us. If he knew what was going on he would run for the hills.

 

“At least I’m not boring like Ted, who only dated Blake because he’s desperate enough to take anyone. According to you Michael, Ted and I aren’t as lucky as you. I mean you were able to finally find a date at almost thirty that Brian didn’t have to arrange. Too bad Brian is so busy with, what did you call Justin? Oh I remember ‘Adopt a Trick’. I should thank you for your advice, I mean you’ve been dating someone all of what, two dates? Hell you even got upset because David didn’t want to fuck you on the first date. Was it the guy you fucked in the…” I cut him off before he says something in front of my salvation. David walked up behind Michael.

 

“Emmett, you know Michael. He reads something or does something new and suddenly he wants to help all of us.” I tell everyone.

 

“Maybe David and I should sit by the door. Emmett, I didn’t mean it the way it sounded.” Michael tells Emmett.

 

“Michael, it doesn’t excuse your words.” Deb tells him.

 

“Emmett just took it wrong.” He tells his mother.

 

“Why don’t you take David to the other side of the diner. I wouldn’t want you to have to explain to him why you’re friends with us.” Emmett tells him. 

 

“Emmett, come on. You know I wasn’t saying I believe that.” Michael tells him.

 

“Do yourself a favor Michael, don’t say something if you're going to put your foot in it.” Ted tells him.

 

“What is this, pick on Michael day? I was hoping to introduce you to David. David, I’d like you to meet the guys Brian, Emmett and Ted. Guys, David.” Michael is so clueless.

 

We all just stare at them, I figure David is smart enough to know we aren’t thrilled with Michael.

 

“It’s nice to meet you. I didn’t catch your name.” David looks at Justin.

 

“Justin, Sunshine and Baby, if you're Emmett.” Justin tells him. 

 

“He’s just the kid hanging around Brian.” Michael tells David.

 

“Actually David, Justin is Brian’s live-in partner. Michael just can’t stand that Justin won Brian’s heart.” Emmett wasn’t going to let Michael off.

 

“When you're ready to forgive me, David and I will be over by the door.” Michael informs Emmett.

 

“I would have had to have heard a real apology, not the oops, I didn’t mean it.” Emmett put a little whine in it.

 

Maybe I should just let my friends do all the talking, less shit for me to deal with. Mel comes in and walks around Michael, completely ignoring him.

 

“Mel, maybe you should sit with us, these guys are cranky.” Michael tells her.

 

“I just came in to invite all you guys to Brunch on Sunday. I wanted to celebrate Justin selling out at the GLC and finishing his SATs.” Mel tells us.

 

“That would be great, I could bring David. You could have a welcome party for David. Hopefully everyone will be in a better mood.” Michael walks away. David shrugs and follows him.

 

“Let me go take care of my son, Emmett, he shouldn’t talk to you like that. I’m sorry he did that to you.” Deb tells us.

 

“Deb, you shouldn’t be the one apologizing. If Michael digs a hole, he needs to dig himself out without you trying to make it easier for him to get away with being an asshole.” Mel tells her.

 

“He’s my son…” Mel cuts her off.

 

“I hope one day that if he grows up, he will be willing to be my child’s father. I just don’t think someone who can’t take responsibility for his actions would be a good father.” Mel tells her.

 

“You want Michael to do what Brian did?” Deb asks her.

 

“I think having you in my child’s life would make up for my family not caring. Michael would be a great father if he just learned to think about how what he says sounds. I want my child to understand that you’re responsible for your actions, and with Michael constantly having everyone smoothing his path, he wouldn’t be able teach our child to stand on it’s own feet.” I get why Mel is a lawyer now.

 

“You keep Michael in mind, I’ll make sure you want him when you're ready.” Deb runs off to Michael’s table. 

 

“Interesting way to get sperm Mel. I got the ‘great genes and immortality’ speech. Deb gets you want her to be a grandmother. Like she is going to pass that up.” I tell her.

 

“Would you have fallen for that?” She asked me.

 

“You win that one. Are we going to turn this into a David party, you know, instead of anything to do with Justin?” I ask her.

 

“Noticed that did you? I wonder what he’ll think when we tell everyone you and I signed these papers.” Mel hands me a folder.

 

“Working fast Mel.” I tell her.

 

“After you sign everything, we need to have these filed today, but it won’t be official till Monday morning. My partner is rushing it through a judge he knows. Can you get your lawyer to look these over today?” Mel must have stayed up all night to get this done.

 

“I’ll get him to look it over today, and have it sent to you by lunch.” I tell her.

 

“I had to keep the smile off my face as I got her to sign it. She didn’t even bother to read it, or ask me what it was.” Mel tells me.

 

“You sure it will stand up?” I don’t want to do this and find out Lindsay will still have a stranglehold on us.

 

“Ignorance isn’t an excuse. After staying up all night with one of the other lawyers, Kelly, to get this done. She wanted to come over and watch Lindsay sign it. Kelly told me it keeps Lindsay from trying to say she didn’t sign it in front of a notary.” Mel tells me.

 

“You got someone to agree to do this?” Ted asks her.

 

“Kelly doesn’t like Lindsay. I told Kelly about not wanting Brian as the father. Kelly asked me if it was me, would I pick someone Lindsay didn’t like to father my child. She thought it was a shitty thing to do to someone you are supposed to love. When I called to tell her what I want to do, she was on board with it.” Mel tells us.

 

“What is the real plan at Brunch?” Emmett asks her.

 

“I told her what I told you. I just thought we would mention that Brian, Lindsay and I wanted to co-parent Gus, so we signed to make Brian and I legal guardians to Gus. Lindsay can’t sue Brian because he is the actual father, who has already paid child support. She can try to remove me. I made sure to include the cost of your policy for Gus as child support. Just so you know.” Mel tells me.

 

“What does that mean?” Justin asks her.

 

“That Brian paying two thousand a month on the life insurance policy, is taken out of any child support he is expected to pay. Lindsay implied that Brian was supporting Gus in that way. Lindsay can’t recoup that money unless she pays the payments. So either way Brian doesn’t have to pay Lindsay any support because two thousand is more than Brian would be expected to pay.” Mel tells us.

 

“Mel, I want Gus provided for, I won’t let him suffer because of Lindsay.” I tell her.

 

“Brian, I can handle that for you. As your accountant, she will need to go through me for anything she can’t prove directly affects Gus.” Ted tells me.

 

“That is the reason you become my right hand, Ted.” I tell him. Ted looks down at the table.

 

“Ted, look at me. You need to stop that voice in your head that believes you’re less than you are. Blake isn’t ready for you yet, but the first chance he gets he is always running to you. He did that because you're worth it. Unlike Michael who treats relationships as a way to pass time in hopes that I’ll wake up and suddenly want him. Blake took a step back to become a man you would be proud of. Blake wouldn’t have done that if he thought you were settling for him.” I tell him.

 

“Take Pride Teddy, it’s who we are.” Emmett tells him.

 

“Just don’t wave a flag and say ‘Happy Pride’.” I tell him. Justin laughs and leans across the table and kisses Ted. Ted doesn’t need to smile that much, or start looking at Justin like that.