- Text Size +

BRIAN 

 

Justin thinks it's hilarious that Mark was tripping over his tongue every time I talked. I just want Daphne to take the kid home, I owe Justin some private time. Unfortunately, we're stuck babysitting the youngen. 

 

“Daph, you want to come tomorrow?” I ask her.  

 

“I planned to, Justin said it was to celebrate him selling out at the GLC.” She tells me. 

 

“I just wanted to have you there for Justin’s mom.” I tell her.

 

“Bri...an, I  was… um wondering… if you like… um have any advice about exploring my… um sexuality.” Mark really needs to learn to spit it out.

 

“Don’t run off with someone just because they offer. No drugs, if you don’t know a person enough to trust them. Always, no matter what anybody tells you, use a condom.” I tell the kid.

 

“So you and Justin use condoms?” He asks me.

 

“Yes. Not because we don’t trust each other, but because I was with other people, before Justin.” I tell him.

 

“We aren’t sure we’re ready for monogamy.” Justin tells him.

 

“So you guys still sleep with other people?” Mark asks excitedly.

 

“No, but until I have an all clear in six months, we aren’t taking chances.” I tell Mark and a surprised Justin.

 

“We need to talk.” Justin tells me.

 

I know we need to talk but up until the kid asked me that question, I hadn’t made up my mind. I don’t want to play russian roulette with our lives. We’ve had enough of other people doing that for us. I nod at him.

 

“Maybe you could take Mark here to hang out with Emmett.” I tell Daphne.

 

“Emmett will answer anything, so you can find out what you want to know.” Justin tells him.

 

“You’ll love Emmett, Mark. He is always happy and really sweet.” Daphne tells Mark.

 

“Give him a call, I think he’s at Deb’s with Vic. Vic is trying some recipes for their new business.” Justin tells Daphne.

 

“You need to go meet Deb, she is like the den mother to all gay boys.” Daphne tells Mark.

 

“Do you think they would mind us coming over?” What a good little WASP Mark is.

 

“Not at all, she loves company.  She will probably embarrass you when she talks, but she means well.” I tell the kid.

 

Daphne tells us she’ll pick up Jen and bring her tomorrow. She leans over me to kiss Justin good-bye. I pucker up, just to see her blush. Instead she kisses me too, then grabs the kid, who looks like he would have liked to join in the love fest, and drags him to the car.

 

“What do you want to do tonight?” Justin asks me.

 

“We could go to Babylon, or I could take you to the new Kinnetik. I was thinking that we haven’t christened my new place yet.” I tell him.

 

“Before we christen anything, you want to explain the earlier comment?” Justin asks me. 

 

“Can we talk somewhere else, because no matter what we think, the gay grapevine would know.” I tell him. Justin looks around and see the wait staff pretending to clean near our table.

 

“They already heard some of it.” Justin reminds me.

 

“And that is all they need to hear, it’s going to be all over the place soon.” I tell him.

 

“You were really serious?” He asks me.

 

I get up and leave the money with a tip for a way to interested Kiki. Justin takes the hint and slides out, so we can go. Before the door even closes, I hear Kiki yell, “Kinney wants to stop tricking, I think the sky is falling and the planets are changing alignment.”

 

Justin shakes his head and walks to the Jeep. I think Justin and I are going to spend the night making sure the entire Kinnetik building isn’t left untouched.

 

“We need to get supplies, I want a night where no one can find us.” I tell him.

 

“Is there really anywhere that is possible?” Justin asks me.

 

“Kinnetik, your mom gave me the keys, I haven’t returned them yet.” I tell Justin.

 

“You and me in a building no one can find us at, I think that is probably the most romantic thing you could ever do.” Justin smiles.

 

“You and me naked the rest of the day is the hottest thing we could do. Did I mention it has a kitchen, and lots of counter space?” I smirk at him.

 

MICHAEL

 

I was so ready to get out of the hospital, I wanted to see Brian face to face. It was going to be hard to contain my excitement on the ride back to Pittsburgh. David acted like he couldn’t wait to drop me off.

 

“I can bring your things to your apartment, after I drop you off.” David tells me.

 

“Are you still coming to the party tomorrow?” I ask him. I feel bad that by tomorrow he is going to see Brian and I together.

 

“I was still planning on it.” David tells me.

 

“You could just bring my bag there.” I tell him. 

 

“I was going to pick you up and take you, so it would be easier to just bring it to your apartment.” David tells me.

 

Maybe I can tell Brian to let me talk to David tomorrow? I know it’s going to be shocking when Brian and I show up at the party together. This way we can break it to David and Justin alone. Justin will probably not even want a party, then I could tell everyone we could celebrate Brian and I. 

 

“You're right, I’ll wait for you to come over. Can you drop me off at Brian’s loft? He was worried about me and I want him to know I’m okay.” I tell him.

 

“I would have thought you would want your mother to know that.” David seems a little testy.

 

“Ma would turn it into a big deal.” I tell him.

 

“Couldn’t have a Novotny making a big deal out of nothing.” He tells me.

 

“I know, she would have me in bed for the next month.” I tell him.

 

David turns to look at me for a second and I don’t understand why he is looking at me like that. He turns back to the road and turns up the radio. I leaned back and decided to sleep, I need all the energy I have for Brian tonight.

 

I was shaken awake, and looked around to see we were at the loft. David popped the trunk and didn’t even get out to help me. 

 

“Can you get your bag? I’ll see you tomorrow.” Was all he said.

 

“I guess so, I’ll call you.” I tell him.

 

As soon as I closed the trunk, David pulled out and left me on the sidewalk. I don’t get why he is acting so angry. I’ll worry about that tomorrow, it’s not like we were seeing each other that long. I walk to the buzzer and my hands were shaking, Brian was waiting for me. I buzzed and waited, but no one answered. I buzzed him a couple more times and was starting to worry that he wasn’t there. Maybe he was running late, I walk to the garage and don’t see his Jeep. Where the hell is he? Calling his number, all I got was sent straight to voicemail.

 

“Brian, I’m here at the loft. Can you call me back?” I tell him. I walked back to the front and sat on the stairs, it hurt because of the bee stings, so I got the ring out to sit on. This is why I needed a key. I could have been sitting on the sofa instead of the hard sidewalk. I keep trying Brian but his phone is off. After twenty minutes, I called Ted, because Emmett might still be pissy.

 

“Ted, hey it’s Michael. Have you seen Brian?” I ask him. I start itching all over.

 

“We had breakfast together, to talk about Kinnetik. Other than that, I don’t keep his schedule.” Ted tells me.

 

“I talked to him earlier and he said to come to the loft.” I explain to Ted, so he knows Brian wanted to see me.

 

“Like I just said, if you had listened, I haven’t got a clue where he is.” Ted tells me.

 

“Could you call him and find out where he is?” I asks, as I rub my shoulder on the side of the building.

 

“No, if you want to bother Brian, do it yourself.” Ted tells me and hangs up.

 

I wish he would get over being mad. If Emmett had keep his mouth shut, Ted wouldn’t have heard what I said. I grab my bag and take the pills the doctor prescribed me and leaned on the side of the building. I must have fallen asleep because when I open my eyes it’s day time. I call Brian’s phone again, because he owes me an answer about why he isn’t here.

 

 My back feels like it’s on fire, I start rubbing my back on the building and my arms are starting to itch too. I get his fucking voicemail again. “Brian I waited all night, where the hell are you?” I yell into the phone. 

“Um, dude you need to move along, this isn’t a homeless shelter.” A guy tells me.

 

“I was waiting for Brian Kinney.” I tell the guy.

 

“I don’t care who you’re waiting for, just get out of the doorway. I don’t want to catch what you’ve got.” The guy tells me.

 

“What?” I ask him.

 

“Your neck, and it looks like your arms are covered in welts. It looks like the side of your face is starting to get them.” The guy tells me and walks around me into the building. I should have caught the door, but I looked at my arms and see what looks like chicken pox all over my arms. I feel my neck and face and can feel it too. The doctor said something about the poison ivy but I wasn’t really listening to him. I run to the nearest place with a bathroom, so I can look in the mirror. 

 

I see these red rashes with blisters all over my neck and up the side of my face. 

 

BRIAN

 

I wake up to Justin sitting with his sketchbook and drawing something. I look at him, and can tell he likes what he’s drawing, because he has a small smile on his face. I lean over the top and look to see a beautiful little girl running around in a field of daisies.

 

“What made you draw that?” It’s not his usual.

 

“It’s for you to see your daughter. I realized that I could give you this, until you get to meet her.” He tells me.

 

“Paint it, I want to see everything.” I can’t stop looking at her.

 

“That’s my plan, but I wanted you to have this so she becomes less abstract.” He tells me.

 

“She’s beautiful.” I tell him.

 

“You couldn’t have made a child that wasn’t beautiful.” Justin tells me.

 

“Did you ever want one that was really yours?” I ask him.

 

“Gus and Kira are mine. I don’t need to provide the sperm for a child to be mine. Speaking of sperm, want to tell me about yesterday? Don’t try to distract me with sex this time.” Justin tells me.

 

“Justin, I don’t really need the tricks, my reasons for doing it aren't important to me anymore. If you still do, I’ll find a way to deal with it.” I tell him. I thought I could still do the tricking, but I’m not in the same mindset I was when we met the first time.

 

“I never really cared one way or the other. Once in awhile wouldn’t have bothered me. If you want it to just be us then I’m good with that. We wait until your next test and if you still want to be just us, then we do it.” He tells me.

 

“Do we need to talk this to death?” I ask him.

 

“No, I’m not your best friend, I get it.” He tells me.

 

“What did Mikey want yesterday?” I ask him. I just remembered he called.

 

“He fell off a cliff or hill, into water and something about woods, ivy and bees. I was distracted by a hot guy.” Justin tells me.

 

“Want me to distract you some more?” I pull him to me.

 

“Umm, I would, but we have to go, Mom and Daphne are supposed to be at the loft in an hour. How about we try to find a place at the munchers.” Justin offers.

 

“How about we get the fuck out of there after we surprise my baby mama?” I ask him.

 

Justin gets up and starts grabbing stuff so we can get out of here. I pick up my phone and realize it must've died last night. 

 

“Remind me to grab my charger, my phone is dead.” I tell Justin.

 

We lock up and head to the Jeep. Justin told me we needed to get something to eat, because lesbian vegan wasn’t on his favorite list. We grab some drive through and get to the loft as Jen and Daphne pull up. Jen smiles at Justin as he stuffs his face.

 

“Justin we are just about to go to your party. Don’t ruin your appetite.” Jen tells him.

 

“Mom, lesbians don’t like meat.” Justin tells her. Daphne and I start giggling like school girls.

 

“Justin, you can go without meat for one meal.” She tells him.

 

“Mom, if there isn’t any meat, it’s like getting you’re only getting side dishes.” He tells her.

 

“Tofu is just as good.” She tells him.

 

“I like the real thing, I’m not going to pretend a substitute is just as good.” Justin tells her.

 

I stand there with Daphne and want to tell her maybe that’s what is wrong with Lindsay, she could have the real thing and the substitute couldn’t satisfy her either. We stop laughing long enough to follow them up the stairs.

 

Daphne suggests we take separate cars so she and Jen can head home after. I figured if things get crazy it would help to have a way to get Jen out of there. We all head to the cars to see Michael standing next to my Jeep. 

 

“What the hell is with the bandages, is he trying to get sympathy?” Daphne asks.

 

“Oh my, is he alright?” Jen asks. 

 

“Brian, he’s has gunk seeping out. With my allergies I can’t get near him.” Justin tells me. 

 

I see what Justin is talking about, his hand is covered in blisters. “Go with Daphne, I'll deal with Michael.” I tell him.  

 

I yank Justin back to me before he leaves and get a kiss before I have to deal with Mikey. I look to see Michael scowling at me. I wait until Justin leaves to talk to Michael.

 

“Hey, I have to get to the party, did you need something?” I ask him. I keep my distance, I didn’t want to catch anything that could hurt Justin.

 

“I thought you wanted to see me last night.” He tells me.

 

“Weren’t you with David?” I ask him.

 

“I’m talking about when we talked yesterday. You told me to come to the loft.” He tells me.

 

“I didn’t talk to you yesterday.” I tell him.

 

“Brian, I’m not going to let you pretend that you didn’t say what you said yesterday.” He tells me. 

 

“I don’t know what your talking about.” I tell him. I know I never talked to him.

 

“You finally admitted you wanted what I want.” He starts walking to me. I back up.

 

“What did you want that you think I want too?” I ask him. It’s like speaking in codes.

 

“A relationship.” He tells me.

 

“You knew that, I’ve been telling you since I met Justin that I want him and I to be together.” I tell Michael.

 

“What about me?” Michael looks like he’s about to cry.

 

“I thought you and David were using the getaway to determine if you two wanted a relationship.” I tell him.

 

“You don’t care that I was hurt, or that David treated it like it wasn’t that bad?” Michael whines.

 

What the hell is this about? He starts reaching for me.

 

“I’m glad you're not hurt, but I need you to not touch me, Justin has allergies. What the hell is the crap leaking all over your hands?” Whatever it is, his skin is splitting and oozing.

 

“I laid in poison ivy, it’s not contagious. Can we talk about us?” He asks me.

 

“How do you lay in poison ivy? And yes Michael, it is contagious, if I touch the open sores I can get it too.” I tell him.

 

“BRIAN, I LOVE YOU. WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT HOW TO TELL JUSTIN AND DAVID.” Michael yells at me.

 

“Tell them what? That you haven’t outgrown a fucking crush. Michael get over it, and find someone who is going to love you, in a way I can’t. If you don’t, you're going to miss out on what I feel when I’m with Justin. I have to go. You should have a doctor look at you.” I tell him and get in my Jeep.

 

MICHAEL

 

I can’t believe he said that, I thought he wanted more. Oh God, I ruined things with David for Brian. I need to get home and see if I can make it up to David. I grabbed a cab, the guy looked like he didn’t want me to ride in the cab. 

 

“It’s poison ivy, just fucking drive.” I tell the guy.

 

We pulled up and the guy didn’t even wait for his money before pulling away. David is standing there at the door. 

 

“David, hey sorry to keep you waiting.” I tell him.

 

“The rashes started?” He could have told me.

 

“I’ve been itching everywhere.” I tell him.

 

“Did you take the oatmeal bath, it helps.” He tells me.

 

“I was afraid to get in the water.” I tell him.

 

“Let’s go in and I’ll take care of you.” He tells me. I hope I didn’t ruin things with him, I need someone to take care of me.

 

MEL

 

Lindsay acted like we were entertaining the president. She brought out her best dishes and cooked close to a dozen different foods. I just wish it looked like something anyone would eat. I stood with Gus in my arms and watch Martha Stewart.

 

“Lindsay, we only have about twelve people coming here, why did you cook for thirty or forty people?” I ask her.

 

“I invited all our friends and my parents agreed to come. I'm sure people will take some of it.” She tells me. I doubt the guys want sauce and noodles.

 

“It’s just a small get together, why did you turn this into a huge event? Your parents don't even know Justin.” I’m so confused.

 

“I just wanted it to be more than just about Justin.” She snaps at me.

 

“What else are you going to make this about?” I ask her.

 

“How about the fact that I had a baby, and that Brian is a father. Can we celebrate that, since he didn’t even show up for the last party?” She asks me.

 

I didn’t know what to say, she was acting unstable. The doorbell rang and I hurried to the door, to get Gus away from her.  Emmett and Deb were standing with dishes in their hands.

 

“Hey, Vic has been cooking up a storm, so we thought we would bring some of it with us. My hips can only stand so much food.” Deb tells me.

 

“Come in, want to trade.” I tell Deb. I know that Deb will protect Gus if Lindsay goes nuts.

 

“I would love to practice, maybe someday it’ll be Michael’s. Not that there is anything wrong with you, handsome.” Deb coos to Gus.

 

“Lead the way, Vic is behind me with more food.” Emmett tells me.

 

I take Emmett in the kitchen and Lindsay looks at the food we’re putting on the table.

 

“It’s sweet you guys wanted to help, but I wanted to do all the cooking, my parents expect a certain level of cuisine.” She tells Emmett.

 

 

“I doubt they’re going to complain about Crab puffs, spinach souffle and cheese tarts topped with fresh fruit.” Emmett tells her.

 

Emmett starts taking the tops off the platters and they were beautiful. Vic comes in and lays a large platter in the middle of the table.

 

“I made seafood and beef skewers with lime and cilantro glaze, the dip is peanut sauce.” Vic tells us.

 

“Lindsay what did you make?” Emmett asks her.

 

“I was hoping to keep to vegan, I made pigs in a blanket with tofu sausage, pasta salad, a vegetable platter, vegan cheese and crackers, and the vegan Lasagna and vegan meatballs with a sweet and sour sauce.” Lindsay tells them.

 

“Do your parents only like vegan?” Emmett asks her.

 

“No, I just wanted to show off my cooking.” She tells him.

 

“We can keep this in the kitchen and tell the guys the real food is in here.” Vic says as he walks out to get more food.

 

“What does he mean by that?” She glares at Emmett.

 

“What he means is that your finger foods are great if you are planning to only feed the vegans of your group.” Emmett tells her.

 

Lindsay suddenly switches from superbitch to Martha Stewart again. 

 

“I’m just nervous, my parents are coming and I wanted everything perfect, Vic’s right we can use these dishes when I run out.” She tells him. 

 

“Your parents wanted to meet Justin?” Vic asks her.

 

“I just thought Justin wouldn’t mind not having everything about him. We haven't even had everyone celebrate Gus.” She tells us.

 

“Didn’t you have a party for that already?” Deb asks as she walks in with Gus.

 

“Not everyone was here, Brian was too busy with Justin to worry about his son.” She points out.  

 

I had to get out of there before I asked why it should have mattered, because it was supposed to be us, not Brian, having a child. I also know it was never about me, it was her wanting a life with Brian. 

 

“I'm going to change Gus, and let people in.” I muttered.

 

Emmett follows me out of the kitchen. “Don’t let her get to you.” Emmett tells me. Ted walks over to us, and hugs me.

 

“I'm trying, but it hurts that I wasted my life on her.” I tell them.

 

“After today, you control how you want to live it. Don’t waste anymore time, Find what Justin and Brian have, I plan to.” Ted tells me. 

 

“You already know there is someone at the end of your wait, Ted. I feel like I’m spinning with nowhere to go.” I tell him. 

 

“Let me take this big guy and you and Ted go talk.” Emmett tells me. I hand him Gus and walk out the door. I take Ted to the side of the house so we don’t have an audience.

 

“It’s taken everything I have not to scream. I’ve been pretending I don’t hate the woman I planned on spending my life with Ted.” I tell him.

 

“Just a little longer and you can walk away. You could have said fuck it, and left when you found out. Gus must mean a lot to you, that you didn’t.” Ted tells me.

 

“He’s the only reason I stayed Ted. He’s my son.” I tell him.

 

“And that is why I trust you.” Brian tells me. Justin walks over to me and I let him hold me.

 

“Mel, we are going to get through this.” Justin whispers in my ear.

 

“I know, it’s just listening to her putting down Vic’s food, and trying to make everything about her, brings out the bitch in me.” I tell him.

 

“Use it Mel, let it out, it’s time. Let’s go in and finish this.” Brian tells us.

 

I let go of Justin and realize that I might have had to deal with Lindsay, but he and Brian lost everything because of her. Yet they are still standing here and helping me, instead of crying about not knowing what to do. It makes what I’ve been dealing with less important. Brian told me to stop thinking about myself and remember this is about our son. It’s time to grow back my spine and teach Lindsay what it feels like when someone screws with your future.

 

BRIAN

 

Now that we have Mel back in the game, I want to get this over with. We start back in the house, and end up walking in with Nancy and Ron Peterson. I look at Mel, she shakes her head. Justin runs in the door, he never liked Lindsay’s parents.

 

“Brian, Lindsay wanted us to be here to celebrate that you and she had a son.” Nancy tells me.

 

“You mean Mel, Lindsay and my son?” I ask her.

 

“Well of course, but you know without you, Lindsay wouldn’t have given us a grandchild.” She snubs Mel.

 

“Without Mel, I wouldn’t have done it.” I tell the bitch.

 

She smiles a fake smile and walks in ahead of us.

 

“Mother, I see you and Brian were talking, I'm glad you welcomed my mother Brian.” Lindsay acts like it's our house.

 

“We were all walking in together. I was telling him about you inviting us to meet your son.” Nancy tells her. Before Lindsay can say anything Deb yells.

 

“So are we going to fucking celebrate my Sunshine?” Deb yells out. I love Deb.

 

“Lindsay, something smells wonderful.” Nancy says trying to recover from Deb’s yell.

 

“I made a vegan menu.” Lindsay tells her.

 

“It smells like seafood.” She tells Lindsay.

 

“Oh, well Vic, that’s Debbie’s brother, brought some food he was experimenting with.” Lindsay tell us.

 

“Sunshine come over here.” Deb tells him. Justin pops the rest of what he is eating in his mouth and walks over.

 

“You need to meet the guest of honor, Sunshine. We are so proud of him, he sold out his art at the GLC.” She tells Nancy.

 

“GLC?” Nancy asks.

 

“Gay and Lesbian center.” Jen tells her.

 

“Why are you displaying your work there?” Nancy asks Justin.

 

“My son is gay. He wanted to display his work in a place where people not only appreciated his work but accepted him.” Jen tells Nancy. 

 

“Good for you Jen.” Deb tells her.

 

“How are you dealing with Lindsay being a lesbian.” Deb asks Nancy.

 

“How about you introduce me to my grandson, Lindsay.” Nancy tries to get as far away from answering that as she can.

 

“You wanted to see Gussy?” Emmett comes in with Gus.

 

“Who?” Nancy asks.

 

“Your grandson, you know the one your daughter had.” Deb tells her.

 

“I’m just surprised at his name. Did you pick it Mel? Lindsay you should have gotten Brian to agree to a more refined name.” Nancy says ‘Mel’ like you would say ‘shit’.

 

“No, I wanted Abraham, but was told on good authority that he wouldn’t survive a day in school with that name.” Mel tells her and smiles at Justin.

 

“Brian, you should have talked to Lindsay, between the two of you, you could have come up with a better name.” Nancy ignores Mel.

 

“Justin’s teddy bear was named Gus. You dragged that bear everywhere.” Jen says, trying to relieve the tension between mother and daughter.

 

“Nancy, you seem to think Lindsay wanted us to play Mommy and Daddy to Gussy. Lindsay wanted to play Mommy and Mommy. My job was shooting into a cup.” I tell her. I love pissing this woman off. Pissing Lindsay off is a bonus.

 

“Lindsay, I think your father and I are going to go. I’ll speak to you about this later.” She tells Lindsay.

 

We all watch as Nancy rushes out the door. Ron shrugs and follows his wife.

 

“Why did you have to run my parents off.” Lindsay spits at me and Mel.

 

“Why were they even here Lindsay? This was supposed to be a party with friends, suddenly you invite your parents, who act like they don’t know you muff dive.” Mel tells her. 

 

“Brian, I think Daphne, Justin and I will wait in the kitchen.” Jen tells me.

 

Everyone but Ted, Emmett, Mel, Lindsay and I head to the kitchen. At least we can do this without  having to worry about the others hearing.

 

“Brian, you need to start respecting my parents in Gus’s life. I haven’t made a lot of conditions, but if you continue to bully my family, you won’t get to see Gus as much.” Lindsay tells me.

 

“I’ll see him whenever I want.” I tell her.

 

“I think Mel was right, you're too selfish to think of Gus. I think until you show you can be responsible and respect Mel’s place in Gus’s life, you shouldn’t come to see Gus.” Lindsay really thinks sweet talking Mel will work.

 

“I don’t need your permission, Mel and I went ahead and got a custody agreement filed. I get my son, and I don’t need to kiss your ass to see him.” I tell her.

 

“What is he talking about Mel?” She asks Mel.

 

“He’s talking about the custody agreement you signed the other day, when Kelly came over for breakfast.” She tells Lindsay.

 

“I don’t care what you had me sign, I didn’t know what it was. No one is going to hold me responsible for whatever agreement you and Brian cooked up.” She tells us.

 

“You watched it being notarized, by another lawyer. Makes it legal, no matter what you think.” Mel tells her.

 

“You think you won, I’ll take him out of the country and you’ll never see him again.” Lindsay tells me.

 

“You go near an airport and I’ll have you for kidnapping. Unless Mel and I agree you can’t take him anywhere.” I tell her.

 

“Mel are you going to stand there and let Brian do this?” Did she not hear that Mel and I did this together.

 

“Yes, Lindsay, because after today, I’m done with you. Gus is the only thing I want to remember you by.” Mel tells her.

 

Lindsay stares at all of us, and I can see the minute she realizes that we all know what she was doing.

 

“You all know?” She says to us. We nod at her. I watch her shoulders slump and she looks at me and Mel one last time and leaves the house. We all waited for her to come back but she never did. Could it be that easy? Emmett walks to the door and looks to see if she was outside but didn’t see her. My phone rings.

 

“She’s left to lick her wounds. She can’t manipulate you if you all know.” Marilyn tells me.

 

“Is she coming back?” I ask her.

 

“Not for a long time, so go eat some fucking food.” Marilyn tells me.  

 

“You guys going to come and eat some of this fucking food, or stand there all day?” Deb asks us. Suddenly, I’m actually hungry.