- Text Size +

TED

 

I quit my job, without any notice, because I believe Brian is going to make Kinnetik into one of the top firms in the business. Mel told me she would have been scared shitless doing what I did, but if Brian delivers, it was the smartest thing I ever did. I decided to have faith in a man who only ever succeeded in life. 

 

I was always jealous of Brian because it seemed like everything came so easy for him. Guys throw themselves at him, and he was a success at a great job. It was worse when I found out he and Justin were connected through every life. How lucky can you get to have the love of your life born to find you? 

 

What I never considered is that he works his ass off; for the body men lust over, and the job he is successful at. I also never thought about how much he cares about the people in his life. Instead of just setting himself up, he is running his ass off for all of us. I know I’ve never had to work this hard before.

 

 

So here I am in a vacant building watching Brian bring his company to life. He got Cynthia to follow him, which says a lot. Cynthia knows the Brian we've never seen, the businessman. I noticed that in the short time we worked together, he looks at what's more important to the business. We weren't decorating his office first, he wanted the actual parts of the business that were important ready, before an office for him to sit in was even thought about

 

“I want the art department set to go, without them here, I can’t deliver. Ted and I can make do with a couple tables and computers for now.” He tells Cynthia. He’s right, we aren't having to create the visuals. 

 

“Murph gave me a list of must haves, if we expect him to start working next week.” Cynthia tells us. 

 

That’s the other thing, people are following Brian into the unknown. He has applications coming in from all over the place. I'm in awe of the trust people have with putting their futures in Brian’s hands.

 

“Ted, I want those items in house. We can worry about renovations after they’re set up.” Brian tells me. 

 

“I had an idea about the renovations.” I tell him. Shit, I'm actually nervous about what Brian is going to think of my idea. I’ve heard Brian when you say something stupid, he tells you what he really thinks.

 

“Spit it out.” He tells me. Please don’t let him think I'm an idiot.

 

“Understand this is a combination of watching Justin when he comes here and listening to you complain all these years.” I tell him.

 

“Some time this year, Ted.” Brian tells me.

 

“Instead of enclosing the space for the art department, leave it open air, let clients see the art being created. Clients like to know your artists are good, but if they can meet the people who are going to sell their product, that gives it a personal feel. Watching Justin paint I noticed he seems to enjoy working in an area where natural lighting is always available. These people are artists too, you shut them in a room and their creative side is in an enclosed space, nothing to fire their senses. Justin seems to need to look around when he working, like he needs stimulus. It also makes it so you don’t have to go through a door to see what everyone is doing. It’s something you always complained about, having to walk in and seeing everyone scramble to do the things that they should have been working on, but we're able to slack off, because they had so much privacy. This way, not only you, but Cynthia are able to see what they are doing, without it seeming like you're watching.” I wait for him to shoot me down.

 

“Basically, clear the area and add the desks and equipment?” Brian asks me.

 

“It’s not me trying to be cheap, it’s just, look at where Justin put an easel.” I tell him. “It’s where he doesn’t have to move as the sun changes position.”

 

“What about adding a skylight overhead? With that, and the open air suggestion, they won’t feel like we put them in a box.” Cynthia tells us.

 

“Good idea, Ted. Get with Murph and make sure he thinks it will work for him.” Brian tells me. That was all, no telling me I need to stick to the numbers.

 

“Ted, Justin is about to turn eighteen, I need him on payroll so he keeps medical coverage.” Brian tells me.

 

“His parents can cover him until he gets out of college.” I tell him.

 

“His father is going to drop Justin out of his life, so I doubt he cares if Justin is covered.” Brian tells me.

 

“What title do you want to give him?” Cynthia asks.

 

“Just have him as one of the artists, Murph will have to make the decision on how much he uses Justin. I just don’t want him slinging burgers at the diner.” Brian tells her.

 

I respect that about Brian, he didn’t just put Justin in charge of a department. I doubt Justin would have taken the job, he seems like the kind of person who wants to earn what he gets.

 

“Ted, did Emmett and Vic go see about a business loan? I want to have their area done, so Kinnetik clients don’t have to see the kitchen renovations.” Brian tells me.

 

“With you signing that they already have a guaranteed client base, they were given the loan as soon as the paperwork was filled out. Vic didn’t want to remodel to much, he said the kitchen was brand new.” I tell him.

 

“They need to have an area where they can display their offerings. I want them to be able to buy me out within a year. We are going to have clients coming in within a week, and if they have to walk by HoneyGrass, I want them to like what they are seeing. It could get them clients outside of Kinnetik. Tell Emmett to get with Justin to create pamphlets with the services they are going to provide, it’s something the clients can look at while waiting for appointments. We can put them on the reception desk.” Brian tells me.

 

“I’ll handle talking to Emmett. Ted, I need to know what kind of furniture you want for your office.” Cynthia tells him. 

 

“A desk, chair and computer. I’m an accountant, we tend to be in the back of the building.” I tell her.

 

“Ted, you’re not an accountant, you’re CFO. You do understand that you're not going to hide in your office?” Brian asks me.

 

“I thought you just wanted me to do the numbers.” It’s all I ever did.

 

“You're going to be in all my meetings, and be the person the clients see to arrange for additional services. Which reminds me, go to an actual tailor, you are not representing me in a suit an undertaker wears.” He tells me.

 

I suddenly realize Brian wasn’t using me to keep his company out of the red. He was grooming me to work in the business. Clearing my throat, I tell him, “I’ll go this afternoon.”

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian tried to convince me to get a car, but I never had one. I told him the reason I never bothered was because, I like to people watch. The real reason was because I knew Brian would have bought one for me, instead of letting me do it on my own. Brian and I had problems with me wanting to do things for myself, I know it’s because everyone expected Brian to handle their problems. I didn’t want to be another person using him, even if he didn’t see it that way. I did take the Jeep today because with Lindsay MIA, Mel needed us to help with Gus. 

 

Brian was going to be at Kinnetik until late tonight and I told him with homework and Gus, it was easier for me to be at the loft. He didn’t fight me too much, but I think it’s because we tend to distract each other, and right now he has to put all his concentration on Kinnetik. 

 

Going to the daycare, I run in to pick up Gus. Brian wasn’t thrilled with him having to stay in the place but with everyone’s schedule, it was the only option right now. Mel and Brian are going to start looking for a nanny, because Brian doesn’t like that all the kids trade colds and diseases with each other.

 

Gus was napping when someone buzzed the loft, so I hurried to let them in and keep him from waking up. I checked on Gus, then went to see who it was. Crap, I guess it was time for Jack to tell Brian about the cancer. I never actually meet Jack, so this is my first time dealing with the asshole.

 

“Can I help you?” I ask him.

 

“I’m looking for my son, Brian.” He tells me.

 

“He’s working, did you want to leave a message?” I ask him.

 

“Is he coming back soon?” He asks me.

 

“I’m not sure what time he’s coming home. If you want to wait, you can come in, but his son is sleeping so don’t make too much noise.” Brian was going to tell his dad about Gus. I’d hoped the shock of hearing about would kill the bastard. To bad, he’s still breathing.

 

“Brian has a son? Why didn’t he tell me or the warden?” Jack asks me.

 

“Do you or your wife even care? I got the impression the only thing he was good for was giving you money and listening to your wife bitch about all the sacrifices she made staying with you.” I just can’t be nice to someone who beat Brian.

 

“Who the fuck are you?” He asks me.

 

“His name is Justin, he’s my partner. If you say or do one thing to piss him off, you can fucking leave.” Brian tells him. 

 

“I came over to tell you I’m dying and I have to find out you’re a fucking faggot?” He yells at Brian and wakes Gus up.

 

“You keep your goddamn voice down. My son isn’t going to be raised thinking that yelling and having your ass beat is normal.” Brian tells him. Brian comes to get Gus and smiles at him to calm Gus.

 

“Where is his mother?” He asks Brian.

 

“She ran off the minute she realized I wasn’t going to be trapped because she spit out my kid.” Brian tells his father.

 

“In my day you knocked them up, you married them.” He tells me.

 

“Look how well that went. No, I think my son is going to grow up knowing I want him.” Brian tells him.

 

“So you and that kid are going to raise the boy? Hope he doesn’t turn into a faggot.” Jack is trying to see Gus.

 

“If he does, be glad you’ll already be dead and don’t have to worry about it. You’re dying, and your son’s a faggot, life is just one big disappointment isn’t it?” Brain sneers at him.

 

“You should be the one dying, instead of me.” Jack turns to go out the door and great, Craig is standing there.

 

“Hi Dad, want to meet your future? Jack Kinney, meet another father who hates his queer son. You want to tell me I should be dead too Dad? It seems to be what all you homophobic assholes believe. Maybe you two should go out for a drink, you can try to convince yourselves that if Jack had beaten Brian more he would have been straight. I mean breaking his arm and ribs didn’t work. Dad, you can get tips on how to treat your gay son.” I tell him.

 

“Justin, I wanted to talk to you.” My Dad tells me.

 

“I’m still gay, will always be gay. It’s not going to change, so why not go hang out with Jack so he can give you tips on how to hate your kid for being born. Then you can tell him how my being gay is such an inconvenience to your plans for me to be a breeder, like you. I'm  going to be too busy being happy without you in my life.” I tell him. 

 

“I don’t hate you.” Craig tells me.

 

“You don’t love me if my being gay is the reason you cut me off.” I tell him.

 

“You could come home…” Craig starts to say, but Brian cuts him off,

 

“If he never mentions he’s gay, and changes who he is to suit you, right?” Brian asks him.

 

“Dad, just pretend I died, it’s what I plan to do about you. Jack is doing it for Brian, guess he’s really taking one for his son.” I hurt, I thought I was over this.

 

“Just get the fuck out, tell the warden to call me when you kick the bucket, I’ll pay for everything as usual. Craig don't come here again, you're not welcome.” Brian tells Jack and Craig.

 

I walk over to get Gus, I need to hold him. I need to know that Gus is loved, even if my father can’t love me. I hear Brian slam the door, and just want to curl in bed with him and Gus. I don't want to talk about Craig. I just need to feel Brian’s unconditional love for me and Gus. Brian climbs on the bed and holds me and Gus. I finally start to feel better, but I need him to hear something from me.

 

“You know all those times you thought you were a shitty father?” I look in his eyes. “You were wrong, because it wouldn’t have mattered to you what Gus turned out to be, you love without limits. It's why I would walk thru fire for you.” 

 

“That’s how I love you.” Brian tells me.