- Text Size +

BRIAN

 

Part of me wants to say fuck it, let Michael deal with his own shit for once, but he’d just screw it up. The last few weeks since Emmett moved out, Michael has barely been around. To me it was like he moved already. He even managed to get the promotion to store manager. The only problem was, he was hanging around that chick Tracy, and acting straight. Deb was about to come unglued, she wasn’t going to let Michael mess with the poor girl's emotions. That’s how I ended up sitting here, with Deb in my new office ranting.

 

“Brian, that poor girl is going to think she has a future with my son.” She tells me.

 

“Maybe Michael can make a go of it.” I tell her.

 

“Brian be serious, my son is more woman than me.” Deb tells me.

 

“Then go tell Tracy the truth.” I tell her.

 

“That she is dating a gay man?” She asks me.

 

“It happens, look at David, he married his beard.” I tell her.

 

“You don’t think Michael would take it that far, do you?” She asks me.

 

“Well, if he starts going to a support group for queers called ‘See the Light’, we need to worry.” I tell her.

 

“Brian stop fucking around, we have to stop him from hurting the girl.” Deb must be remembering Michael’s dad.

 

“It’s his life to fuck up, what do you want me to do?” I ask her. I hope she isn’t going to tell me I owe it to them.

 

“Get the gang together and think of something. This isn’t about Michael, it’s about Tracy. She doesn’t deserve to be led on like that. I almost died when I ran into them at the grocery store, they were shopping together.” She tells me.

 

“Look, his birthday is coming up, we can make sure Tracy see’s the truth.” I tell her.

 

“Let me know if you need help.” She kisses my cheek and leaves.

 

I think David is going to help this time. He’s been hanging around us lately, it started with him coming to Woody’s for a drink with a guy. I had to rein in my inner asshole, because David isn’t being the dick he was before. He was inviting us out with him and his friends, Emmett and Ted went to one of his dinners, where Ted was a hit because he could talk investments, and the women were interested in getting Emmett’s thoughts on parties. Ted told me David asked about Michael. So there is still interest there. 

 

I wanted to let Michael keep pretending to be straight, it kept him away from us, which is what we were trying to accomplish anyway. Then Marilyn told me it was about Jenny. If Michael stayed with Tracy, no Jenny. By moving to Portland and coming back when he screwed up with David, Michael started questioning his life. He ends up opening the comic book store and meets Ben. Which gives Michael a reason to want a child, because he and Ben weren’t going to be able to have one. She went on to explain that if Michael stays with Tracy, they would have children and Michael wouldn’t be willing to give to Mel. I stopped listening when she told me no Jenny. 

 

I went to David’s office, hoping he hadn’t given up on Michael.

 

“Brian, what brings you here?” David asks me.

 

“I was hoping you would want to help me plan Michael’s birthday party.” I tell him. This really sucks, David was willing to jump through hoops for Michael the last time.

 

“I doubt Michael would want me there, he stopped calling me.” He tells me. At least it’s not a no.

 

“I think Michael thinks you don’t want him around anymore.” I suck at this, Justin or Emmett would have done this without wanting to barf.

 

“I'm just not sure it's in my best interest.” There's the David I know.

 

“Why did you ask him out in the first place?” I ask him. 

 

“He interested me, I haven’t been out that long. I wanted a relationship, not a series of one night stands. He seemed like he was looking for the same thing. It’s just that we spent practically every date talking about you. I don’t want to waste time on him, if he is in love with you.” He tells me. 

 

“Michael has a hard time with change, he isn't in love with me, he just thinks he is. I'm safe, because we've been friends most of our lives.” I tell him. 

 

“Does he know that? Because he seems to think differently.” David tells me.

 

I guess it’s time to be the ad man I am. 

 

“He needs someone who is willing to take time with him. Michael wants a relationship, but is scared that no one will love him for himself. What you saw is him trying to hold on to the people in his life. He wasn’t trying to cause a scene at dinner, he just wanted to impress you, and we were the ones dominating your time.” And that is how you sell things, make them think it’s about them.

 

“If you're right, I’d be willing to give him another chance. Okay, I’m in, just let me know what you need and when.” David tells me. 

 

“I’ll have Emmett call you.” I tell him.

 

MEL

 

Jen called me and asked if I wanted help with Gus, I wasn’t sure what to make of that. She was going to meet with Brian and me tonight to talk about her suggestion. 

 

“Justin, why is your mom offering to help?” I ask.

 

“She and my father started divorce proceedings and he is trying to say she can’t afford to take care of Molly, so he should get custody. She didn’t want Molly shuffled off to babysitters while she is going to school. This way it looks like family is helping.” He tells me.

 

“Is she having any problems with her case?” I would be more than willing to help her.

 

“Brian, got her to hire this shark lawyer, Thomas Gabriel. He told my mom to stop thinking a divorce is civilized and take care of herself.” Justin tells me.

 

“Going for the big guns, Brian?” I ask him.

 

“She was screwed over the last time. She ended up living in a small condo and losing everything. I respected her for not depending on Craig to support her, but I’m not going to watch my Mother-in-Law get screwed over again.” Brian said Mother-in-Law, without choking over the words.

 

“What’s she really like, if I’m going to trust my son with someone, I need to know.” I tell them.

 

“When she was trying to save her family, I’ll be honest I didn’t care a lot for her. She let Justin be shuffled off and stood by Craig. It was after… the prom… that I finally saw what kind of mother she was. Justin was having problems and instead of trying to solve something she couldn’t, she did what Justin needed. She gave him back to me.” Brian tells me.

 

“She abandoned Justin and you think that makes her a good mom?” I’m trying to wrap my head around how he see that as a good thing.

 

“She didn’t abandon Justin, she just knew he needed me. She realized that I was the only one Justin fully trusted. She did the most unselfish thing I’ve ever experienced, she let her son go to get better. After that, she and I were able to be around each other without her making me into the monster who stole her baby.” He tells me.

 

“You love her. Sorry, it’s just surprising.” I tell him.

 

“Yes, because that woman never wanted Justin hurt. In the end, everything she did, she did trying to save her family. I understand her better, but I also have the benefit of already knowing who she became.” Brian tells me.

 

I decide to wait and hear Jen out, I want Gus out of daycare, but the nannies we interviewed so far didn’t impress Brian or me. Jen came in with Molly, who was happy to see her brother.

 

“Where have you been Jester?” She asks him, and jumps into his arms. I watched Justin breathe in his sister.

 

“I’ve been living with Brian, Mollusk. Did you miss me?” He asks the armful, who had a strangle hold on him.

 

“Are you Brian?” She asks and pulls away from her brother.

 

“Yes, and you must be the bratty sister Justin tells me about.” Brian smiles at her.

 

“He’s the brat, I’m perfect.” She tells Brian.

 

“Yes, you are.” Brian tells her.

 

“Justin why don’t you show Molly, Gus? I wanted to talk to Mel and Brian.” Jen asks him. Justin takes Molly into the bedroom, where Gus is sleeping.

 

BRIAN

 

“I’m ready to kill Craig, he wanted to get custody of Molly. He claimed that I let Justin run off. I doubt he is going to fight me, since Thomas mentioned that Justin could claim Craig was trying to kidnap and imprison him in the conversion therapy camp.” Jen tells me.

 

“Most courts tend to shy away from getting involved in that, because the parents consent to it.” Mel tells us.

 

“In court if Thomas proved why it’s abuse, they wouldn’t shy away from it.” Jen tells Mel.

 

“What did Thomas do?” Mel asks her.

 

“He got the kids who went there to give sworn statements that they were not only physically abused, but were made to have sex with adults. One of the boys was only fifteen when his parents sent him to the same place Craig was trying to send Justin. Thomas found the prostitute who got pregnant by the kid, and had her give a statement. The boy, who is now a man, told her he would help with the child if she did. Craig’s lawyer told him to sign the papers giving me spousal support and a generous amount for Molly. So with all that, I don’t need Justin’s money.” She tells us.

 

“Jen, Justin isn’t going to need it.” I tell her.

 

“I don’t care, it was for him. So suck it up and help him decide what he wants to do with the money.” Jen tells me.

 

“Now for the reason I came here. I wanted to see if you would like me to help with Gus?” Jen asks Mel.

 

“Don’t get me wrong but are you sure you want to take care of a baby all day, then go to school all night?” Mel asks her.

 

“I just think you would rather Gus have one-on-one attention. Also, you could keep Molly on nights I have school, so I don’t have to let Craig take her.” Jen tells Mel.

 

“I’d rather have Jen take care of Gus then the part time daycare worker who is doing it now.” I tell Mel.

 

“If you’re sure.” Mel can see the advantages to this.

 

“He’s as close to a grandson as I’m going to get from Justin.” She tells us.