- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I want to thank everyone for reviewing again. It was my mistake deleting this, the page asked me twice and like Mikey, I just hit yes. 

 

Also in this chapter it's Justin birthday. In season one it happened around Michael’s but I was never sure of the date, because it was winter. But in season two it's changed to the same day as Ben. I figured I'd stick with the first one.

BRIAN 

 

I wanted to do something for Justin’s birthday. After the only attempt I made to do something, which I'll admit was fucked up, I wanted to get it right. The problem I have is that Justin doesn’t ask for things, or even acknowledge he has a birthday. We just did things together, without calling it a birthday. So what do you do for someone conditioned by you to ignore celebrating the day they were born? I had everyone working on Michael’s birthday, but not on Justin’s, the only one I really cared about.

 

I sat in my office trying to come up with something. Ted was going over financials, so I decided to see what he thought.

 

“I've been racking my brain trying to think of something to do for Justin’s birthday, any ideas?” I ask him. 

 

“What did you do before?” He asks me.

 

“Acted like it was just another day, and… remember I was an ass… I once got him a… hustler.” I tell him. 

 

“Seriously?” He asks me. 

 

 “I wasn’t going to do anything, but Mel was crawling all over my ass, so I hired a guy.” I tell him. 

 

“Um, did Justin seem happy about it?” He asks me. 

 

“No, but he has never been one to complain about anything to me. I know he wasn’t thrilled with it, because our relationship went downhill pretty quickly after that.” I tell him. 

 

“You know, I used to be jealous of your life, but at least I wouldn't have hired a hustler.” He tells me. 

 

“Not my best idea. Got anything better?” I ask him. 

 

“I don’t think he really cares, he just wanted you to acknowledge it. That’s what I got from what he told you, that night at Marilynn's place.” He tells me. 

 

“Look at what I'm doing for Michael’s birthday, shouldn’t I at least do more then get him a card?” I ask him. 

 

“Think of something he did, or he wanted to do, that you blew off. Recreate it, but this time you do it with all the bells and whistles.” Ted tells me. 

 

“You're a genius Ted.” I tell him. 

 

“What did I say?” He asks me. 

 

JUSTIN 

 

Daphne brought cupcakes for my birthday, we sat with my art club, and Mark, munching away at lunch period. 

 

“Any plans with Brian?” Daphne asks me.

 

“Not that I am aware of.” I tell her.

 

“Maybe he wants to surprise you.” She tells me. 

 

I sincerely hope he doesn't, the last one really sucked. Not that I can tell Daphne that.

 

“I mean it's your first birthday together.” She tells me. 

 

How about my sixth, we kind of missed forty others.

 

“I would just be happy that he was my boyfriend.”  Mark tells us. 

 

“Mark, it’s time to find you someone else to drool about.” Daphne tells him. 

 

“Yeah, Brian is a little annoyed that you can't seem to talk in complete sentences around him.” I tell him. 

 

“How did you not completely dork out, when you first met him?” Mark asks me. 

 

“He did, but I think the fact that Brian dorks out over Justin makes them even.” She tells him. 

 

“You are so lucky, every guy I've met sucks compared to Brian.” Mark tells us. I'm sure they do, but it's hard to find someone who could outshine Brian.

 

“Mark, you've got to stop comparing them to Brian, or you'll never find a guy.” Daphne tells him. 

 

“Couldn’t find a real man Daphne, or do faggots turn you on?” Chris asks her. Guess he's still around, after the hallway, he left me alone.

 

“Gotta say, it's better than dating you.” She tells him. 

 

“Like you'd have a chance.” He sneers at her. His group snickers.

 

“I thank God everyday that I'm not someone you would date. It would lower my IQ to have to even say hi to you. Plus, what would we even talk about, other than you stalking Justin all over campus.” She tells him. 

 

“Daph, just ignore him.” Mark tells her.

 

“I would, but for some reason, Chris can’t seem to ignore us.” She stares at him.

 

“I just don't get what a girl thinks a bunch of queers can do for her.” Chris smirks. I notice the group behind him aren’t sure what to do.

 

“Help me avoid narrow minded assholes like you. I mean what do you have to offer, other than working construction in your future. You can't even get higher than a low C in any classes. Even if you get a football scholarship, someone is going to have to do your homework, because you're barely passing high school. Maybe you should have asked someone other than Bimbette to write your essays. She got a D in english.” Daphne tells him. 

 

“Fag lover.” He comes back with.

 

“That’s all you’ve got? Guess it just shows I'm right, Daddy is going to have to get Chrissy a job.” She challenges him.

 

“Maybe if you got fucked by a real man, you'd stop being a queer loving bitch.” He says loud enough for everyone to hear.

 

“Maybe if you paid attention in my class, you would learn proper English.” Ms. Roker tells him. 

 

I know she was around, but never this much. Chris starts looking around, probably for that asshole Dixon, to get him out of this.

 

“Mr Hobbs is there some reason you think it's okay to harass and bully other students?” She asks him. 

 

“We were just kidding around.” He tells her. 

 

“I think your parents and Miss Chandler's parents should hear your idea of kidding around, I doubt they are going to think your use of that word to describe Miss Chandler, and the veiled threat you made, would be considered just kidding around.” She tells him. 

 

“I'll apologize to her, we don't have to involve our parents.” He tells her. 

 

“I think that after the hallway and now this, it's a little too late to think an apology is all you need to do. Chris head to the principal's office, I'll be right behind you.” She tells him. 

 

Chris turns, but gives Daphne a dirty look, and heads to the office.

 

“Justin, Mark, if you want I can get your parents too. I think Chris has been getting away with too much.” She tells us. 

 

“I don’t live with my parents, so don't worry about me.” I tell her. 

 

I really don't want Brian to be in the same room with Chris.

 

“He wasn’t really talking to anyone but me.” Daphne tells her.

 

“Let’s at least get your parents here then.” She tells Daphne. 

 

I watch my best friend go with Ms Roker, and wonder what caused Chris to attack Daphne. 

 

EMMETT 

 

Brian called me and told me to arrange Baby’s surprise. I told him that we should have thrown a big bash. Turning eighteen is a big deal to most of us.

 

“Emmett, other than buying cigarettes and voting, name something that makes it a big deal.” Mr party pooper tells me. 

 

“Well, how about the fact that you're no longer corrupting a minor?” I tell him. 

 

“See, even you can’t come up with something.” He tells me. 

 

“I left home, because I was finally considered an adult.” I tell him. 

 

“Explain to me why you moved to the Pitts. Justin already left home, by the way. So he’s already ahead of you, but seriously, why here?” He asks me.

 

“I ran out of money and the bus stopped here.” I tell him.

 

“Yet you stayed.” He tells me.

 

“You better be happy that I did. Otherwise you would be throwing your BEST FRIEND’S party.” I tell him.

 

“Look, it’s just something I know Justin would understand. So can you just do it without all the crap.” He tells me.

 

“I’m already done, how are you keeping Justin from coming here first?” I ask the smartass.

 

“I’m taking him to get his present first, and pray he doesn’t queen out better than you. I swear, why can’t he just accept a present without acting like it’s a big deal.” He gripes.

 

“What are you getting him?” I ask.

 

“His own Jeep, but Justin will turn it into me not letting him do things on his own. I had to fall in love with an independent shit.” Brian tells me.

 

“If he bitches, tell him he can give it to me. I mean really, if my boyfriend wanted to do that for me, I’d be making him very happy tonight.” I tell him.

 

“You don’t know Justin. He wants to do things on his own. I’m just glad we aren’t going to have to watch him dance on the bar at Babylon this time.” He tells me.

 

“You know how guys get to dance on the bar, right?” I can’t believe my baby would let Sap blow him.

 

“Yes, and trust me, I wasn’t happy about it. Are we done having this conversation, because I need to go get the twat.” He tells me.

 

“Give him a little tongue from me for his birthday, and tell him I have a present for him.” I tell him.

 

“Emmett, if you ever kiss Justin, HIDE, permanently.” Brian tells me, before hanging up.

 

BRIAN

 

I called the dealership last week, to see if they had a Jeep with more storage space. I was at least planning this much. The guy I bought this Jeep from told me he could have it ready when we arrive. I figure Justin can’t really bitch if it’s bought and paid for. Of course, Justin could find a way to try to return it, but I can argue, that with us having Gus, he needs a way to get around. Maybe he’ll fall for that.

 

I pull up to the school and no books everywhere, but Mark and Justin are standing there watching the school.

 

“Ready Justin?” I don’t have time to listen to Mark stutter today.

 

“We’re waiting on Daphne.” Mark tells me without tripping over every word.

 

“Where is she?” I ask them.

 

“Chris came to our lunch table and started harassing her. One of the teacher’s overheard and now Chris, Daphne and their parents are meeting in the office.” Mark tells me.

 

“Do you need to stay for this? She’s just going to call later and tell you.” I want to get his birthday started.

 

“It’s Daphne.” Justin tells me.

 

“I’ll call, go with Brian. Hopefully, he has plans for your, you know.” Mark tells him.

 

I wonder if Justin still thinks I wouldn’t do anything. 

 

“Do we have plans?” Justin asks. I guess he does think that.

 

“I need to take the Jeep to the dealership, I was hoping you would want to keep me from running it into the showroom window.” I tell him. 

 

“Mark, call me.” Justin hurries into the Jeep.

 

“He’s kidding, isn’t he?” Mark asks.

 

“He would, just to make a point.” Justin tells him from the passenger side.

 

I get us out of here before Mark offers to help Justin keep me from killing that window.

 

“I was going to surprise you, but let’s get the queening out shit out of the way before we get to the car dealership. I bought you a Jeep.” I tell him.

 

“I guess I need it, with having Gus around.” He tells me. I wait to see if he is going to add anything else.

 

“Your good with it?” I ask him. I expected him to try and talk me out of it.

 

“I’ll make you a deal, you don’t buy the corvette and I’ll gracefully accept the Jeep.” He tells me.

 

I was debating the corvette, but with Gus going places with us, it wouldn’t be convenient. 

 

“I wasn’t going to get it anyway.” I tell him.

 

“That’s why you keep looking for it online?” The twat asks.

 

We get to the dealership and Justin tells me to park away from the window. We walk in and I head for Jim, the dealer. I look around and see the asshole from before, but it’s Justin’s birthday, so I’ll be good. Jim didn’t bat an eyelash at selling a car to queers, guess the commission he makes on the sale makes us all equals. 

 

Justin hopped in and asked where we were headed. I needed to get there first, so I asked him to pick up some juice and bread. Could I get anymore domestic? Justin took off out of the parking lot, barely stopping for the stop sign. Maybe I should have let him drive in the past, because that was scary as shit.

 

I realize that I don’t have time to worry, if I want to beat him back. I grab the paperwork for Ted and race home. 

 

Emmett was waiting for me when I got there.

 

“I set it up on the floor, but are you sure you don’t want to do more?” Emmett asks me.

 

“No, this was something he did once and I shit all over it.” I tell Emmett.

 

“OKAY, but if you need me, call.” Emmett tells me and walks out.

 

I look around and pray he likes this, because it’s the one thing I always wondered, if I had stayed would things have been different. I go change into jeans and a tee-shirt and light all the candles Emmett put around the area.

 

“Brian, can you grab one of the…” Justin stares at the picnic, surrounded by candles.

 

“Happy Birthday, Justin.” I tell him.

 

Justin leaves the bags by the door and walks through the path of candles to me. He just looks around but isn’t saying anything.

 

“I wanted to have that picnic, finally.” I tell him, biting my lips.

 

Justin smiles at me and lunges.