- Text Size +

JUSTIN 

 

Brian and I made the decision to move into Britin permanently. With Ben and Michael fighting, and Deb and Michael not talking, it just made sense to stay out of the line of fire. I had Emmett help me with filling the house. Brian only had a few non-negotiables; modern design for his office and nothing that came from discount retail anywhere in the house. Emmett begged to stay at the house because the Novotny World War was invading Emmett’s apartment. 

 

“I don’t get why Deb finally getting a little ‘Dick Tracy’ is causing Michael to have an aneurysm.” Emmett asks me. 

 

“Carl wasn’t homophobic but didn't get the whole gay thing. Michael and Deb are locked into a battle over Ben, so Michael is being shitty to Deb about Carl. Originally a night in jail and Carl showing up to get Brian, Ted, and Michael out of trouble, gets Michael to see Carl as not the worst person his mother could date. Deb realizes she can’t tell Michael who to see if Michael can’t tell her. So what you're now seeing is the result of Brian not hanging out with Michael and fixing everything.” I tell Emmett.

 

“I swear it’s like Antarctica around them now. Neither of them is willing to budge.” Emmett tells me.

 

“Ben gets sick and Deb starts to treat him better. But unless Michael sees Carl as a man who is just uncomfortable with the whole gay lifestyle, and not as someone who hates us for being gay, well then, that is going to be long fight between Deb and Michael.” I tell him.

 

“Unfortunately, they have been coming to my place trying to get me to agree that one or the other is right. Vic and I are at our wits end with them.” Emmett tells me.

 

“Good luck with that, I promised Brian that they could handle it themselves.” I tell him. 

 

I stop to look at some towels, we didn’t really need them but Brian wanted all new things for the house. We were keeping the loft for when we wanted to stay in town, so a lot of everyday items were staying there. Emmett was really just going around with me to stay away from his place.

 

“Justin turn around and look to your left.” Emmett tells me. 

 

“Why?” I ask him. 

 

“I think that's Blake over by the store to the left.” He tells me. 

 

I turn to see a cleaned up Blake looking through some clothing.

 

“The timing is right, Blake was going to school to become a drug abuse counselor around now. You and Ted would have started dating by now.” I tell him.

 

“That still seems strange, because I love Teddy, but as my friend, how did that change?” Emmett ask me.

 

“He convinces you that you two should try. I wasn’t around for a lot of it, I was with Ethan at the time. I just know that you two seemed like you were trying too hard to make it work. Ted’s self esteem took a nose dive when he found out you cheated with someone from the gym. Then Stockwell tried to have Ted jailed. You had a really hard time forgiving Ted for the shit he put you through, and end up living with Deb and Carl.” I tell him.

 

“Where was Vic?” He asks me.

 

“He moved.” I didn’t want to tell him that Vic died.

 

“Want to go talk to Blake? Ted isn’t going to go to rehab, so meeting Blake there isn’t going to happen.” Emmett tells me.

 

“Couldn’t hurt, Ted needs to stop making Kinnetik his life. Who knows, without the whole counselor/patient thing, they could make a go of it.” I tell him.

 

Emmett and I start following Blake around to see if we could accidently bump into him. He turned around to come in our direction and passed by without looking at us. We turn and follow him.

 

“He might not remember us, he was always high when he was around us.” Emmett tells me.

 

“He always seemed to remember us. Why don’t we just go up to him.” I tell him.

 

Blake stops by the music store and is looking through CD’s. I walk over to him.

 

“Hey Blake, how have you been?” I ask him.

 

He turns and looks at me and Emmett. He seemed surprised we were talking to him.

 

“Oh hi, it’s Justin and Emmett right?” He asks us.

 

“Yes, we saw you and wanted to see how you’ve been.” Emmett tells him.

 

“Good, I got cleaned up and I'm working at the drug abuse center for credits towards my degree. He tells us.

 

“That’s really great, congratulations on getting your life together.” I tell him.

 

“It wasn’t easy but I wanted live, not OD, so in the end I did on my own, what Ted tried to help me do.” He tells us.

 

“Ted would be glad that you were able to turn your life around.” Emmett tells him.

 

“He was worried when you disappeared, but at least now we can tell him you're doing well.” I tell him. 

 

“Is he…? I hope he's doing well.” Blake tells us. 

 

“He quit his old job and is working with Brian now, they started a new company, Kinnetik, together.” I tell him. 

 

“I'm glad for him. I know he wasn't thrilled with his job.” Blake tells us. 

“Justin and I we're going to meet them for lunch. If you're not busy you could come with us.” Emmett couldn’t hint any clearer if he tried.

 

“I doubt Ted is going to want to see me.” He tells us. 

 

“You got your life on track, he would be glad that you did. If nothing else you could use friends, right? We can cancel with the guys and get to know you. Either way it could be fun.” I tell him. Maybe he wasn't ready for Ted yet.

 

“I want to see him. I just don’t want it to be awkward. You might want to make sure he wants to see me.” He tells us.

 

I agree to call Ted first, since we didn’t plan to meet them for lunch. Walking away because I doubt Blake would believe us if I'm having to explain the new lunch idea to Brian.

 

“It’s Justin, is Brian busy?” I ask Cynthia. 

 

“Justin you might want to come here, Lindsay is causing some trouble.” She tells me.

 

“What's going on?” I ask her. 

 

“She showed up here and looks like she high or at least very drunk. The stuff she's saying sounds all kinds of crazy.” She tells me. 

 

“Emmett and I are on our way.” I tell her. 

 

I have to wonder if it was fortuitous that Blake was here today, because a future drug abuse counselor could only help us.

 

“Hey, the lunch is going to have to wait. Lindsay is at Kinnetik, lit off her ass and causing problems. It might be a good idea if you come with us Blake. Maybe you could see if one of the other counselors could meet us at Kinnetik and help talk her down.” I tell him.

 

“I can call the counselor who I work under, anything if you think she needs help.” Blake tells us.

 

“Trust me, the chick needs help.” Emmett tells him.

 

Blake agreed to call and the counselor, Brad, said he would meet us at Kinnetik. Brad told Blake it would be good for him to see how to talk someone down. I was just glad Blake didn’t have an excuse to not come with us.

 

BRIAN

 

Ted and I were working with the art team when Lindsay walked in the building. The receptionist at the downstairs lobby must have asked her if she had an appointment, because the dressing down she recieved via stoned Lindsay was in answer to that.

 

“I don’t have to fucking have an appointment to see my son’s father. So instead of asking me if I have an appointment, get the hell out of my way.” She swayed and held onto the desk.

 

“I’m sorry Ma'am but no one sees anyone in this building without an appointment.” She tells Lindsay.

 

“I’m not anyone, I’m the mother of the owner’s son, and you want to keep your job, then you better fucking get out of my way.” She tells the receptionist.

 

“I can call security and have you removed Ma’am, because like I just said, no one gets upstairs without being on the list to be here.” She tells Lindsay.

 

Lindsay looked up and saw me at the window to the art department. She started trying to figure out how to get past the receptionist to get to the stairs. I was glad when Emmett suggested that we put wall with a door you had to get through to come up the stairs. His clients were coming up to Kinnetik by mistake, so Emmett suggested that we make the stairs less accessible.

 

“Brian, I need you to come down here and tell this woman to let me see you. I need to convince you that everything I did was so that you wouldn’t keep running after Justin. I only changed the future because you and I should have been together, not you and him.” She yells.

 

I wonder if she realizes how crazy she sounds to all these people. The sad thing is they think she’s nuts and she really isn’t, just high as a kite and not using her normal filter. 

 

“We might want to contain her.” Ted whispers to me.

 

 “Why? The only thing anyone is going to think is she needs a night in the drunk tank.” I tell him.

 

“Or that you were an idiot to let this woman have your kid.” He tells me, rolling his eyes.

 

“I couldn’t and wouldn’t stop Gus from being born. He turns out to be one of my best creations, the mother, not so much.” I tell him.

 

I signal to the girl to let her up the stairs. Lindsay was ranting all the way up the stairs, so everyone could hear her sounding like a crazy woman. I lead the ranting Lindsay to my office so we could at least deal with her in private. Of course before we got in she was making sure that Ted and I had enough witnesses to say she was insane.

 

“I'll fucking burn this building down before I let Justin have it all. It’s not fair that he gets everything. He rises to the top in a world that so few people ever make it in and doesn't have to sacrifice anything for it. Then he has your perfect little girl and you. It happens every lifetime, and nothing I do makes a difference. Even when I was born a man, you still didn’t want me. I tried everything to get you to want me, I even put up with that idiot Michael. Maybe that was my mistake, I should have killed him just so you wouldn’t ever meet Justin. You know Michael is the reason you were always running towards Justin in every life. It’s like God put the idiot there so that you would always want Justin.” She tells me. 

 

“Lindsay, do you realize how crazy you sound?” Ted asks her.

 

“You don’t understand, Brian and I were always close and would have had a relationship if given a chance, that is if Justin would just leave him alone.” She tells Ted.

 

“Lindsay, they were always going to be together, if you would get your shit together you could have done something other than chasing a dream that you will never have.” Ted tells her.

 

“No, she’s fighting the unchangeable, because Justin will always be the person I end up with.” I tell them.

 

“Why? He could go on and still have a great life without you. If you would just give me the chance, my life would be what I want, not some boring life where I never achieve anything.” She tells me.

 

“I couldn’t go on without him, Lindsay. My life was spent just waiting to die, because he is my other half, not you.” I tell her.

 

“You had Gus and would have had me if you wanted. I gave you a reason to go on in our son, don’t I get some credit for that?” She tells us.

 

“You are the reason I lost Justin, so no you don’t get any credit. Gus became a good, no, a great man without you, so no credit there either. Mel was the one who took care of Gus, while you plotted ways to erase Justin from our lives.” I tell her.

 

“I wanted my chance, and when I was given it, I grabbed it with both hands. You would have done the same, so don’t condemn me for wanting better than to become Mel’s bitch in every life.” She yells.

 

Cynthia comes to the door and tells me that Justin is on his way here. I was hoping to get Lindsay out before she saw Justin.

 

“Good because I need to explain to him that he needs to fucking go away, it’s my turn.” Lindsay tells us. She grabs a bottle of water and takes some pills and drinks it down. 

 

“It’s never going to be your turn Lindsay. You will never be Justin for me, just like Ethan was never going to be me for Justin.” I tell her, because I know that is why she took Justin to meet the fucker.

 

“Did you ever think that maybe you were using Justin because of me, as a way to replace me?” She asks me.

 

“What the hell has that crazy mind of yours come up with this time?” I have to say I’m confused.

 

“Blond, country club upbringing, artist, any of that remind you of someone?” She asks me.

 

“Justin, you just described him.” I’m not going to let her tell me that I chose Justin because he was as close to her as I could get.

 

“I was all the same things, but you always ran after him. Think about it Brian, I could introduce you to all those people my parents know, the clients you could get alone would… well something. I could have another baby and if you want we can name it after that girl. Don’t you see, with all the things we know about the future I could be ruling at your side.” She tells us. 

 

“Cult Kinney.” Ted whispers.

 

“God, it’s hot in here, do you think we could turn on some air?” Lindsay starts taking off her shirt, which is wonderful now that Justin and his merry men are walking in. I wonder why Blake is with him.

 

“Hey Lindsay, how have you been?” Emmett asks her.

 

“I… Justin, can’t you just leave Brian alone, it’s not fair that you don’t let anyone else have a chance.” She tells him.

 

“Does anyone know what she’s on?” A guy who came in with Justin asks.

 

“She took some pills, but she smells like she’s been drinking.” Ted tells him, but is looking at a cleaned up Blake.

 

“Lindsay, what were you taking a minute ago?” Ted asks her.

 

“Um, could be Xanax or uppers, who knows, whatever helps me forget that Brian and Justin are together.” She tells us and then promptly passes out.

 

The guy goes over to her and checks her pulse and breathing. He opens her purse and starts pulling out the pills, to see what she was taking.

 

“Brad works at the drug abuse center with me.” Blake tells us.

 

“I’m not a doctor, but if she’s drinking and taking all this stuff, she is going to need some care.” Brad tells us.

 

Emmett was calling 911, and requesting an ambulance. When they got there Lindsay was awake but not lucid. Brad handed them the pills she had and informed them that Ted and I saw her take some of them but we couldn’t tell them which ones. They asked if there was a relative here for her, and Ted gave them her parents information. None of us were going to be there for her.

 

Blake thanked his boss and stood there looking at Ted. Ted seemed to wonder if he should stay with us or grab his life. I voted for Blake, and looked Ted in the eye. “I got my life, go make yours.” I tell him.

 

“Thanks boss.” He tells me. 

 

Emmett and Justin are giggling like twats when Ted walks over and asks Blake to lunch. Yeah, I was proud of Ted, he didn’t do his usual, where he acts grateful for attention. Ted simply asked Blake to lunch, and held out his hand. Blake took it.