- Text Size +

JUSTIN 

 

Daphne and I were at the diner, waiting on Emmett to get here. Brian was working on a campaign for Brown Athletics, and told me to go play with my friends. Apparently, I'm a distraction. Emmett wanted us to try some of Vic’s creations, before their first party at David’s house. Deb had come by the table and told us Michael was dating David again, she seemed happy about it. I waited till Deb was gone to ask about the principal’s office.  

 

“So what happened with Chris?” I ask her. 

 

“Chris tried to act like Ms. Roker blew it out of proportion.” She tells me. 

 

“Did it work?” I ask her. 

 

“No, because Ms. Roker made him tell all our parents exactly what he said. The principal tried to let Chris slide with detention. My mom wanted to know if the school thought telling me I needed to have sex with a real man was something the school thought detention would solve. She lit into the principal, asking if St. James  had different punishments for bullies than the rest of the education system, because most bullies get suspended, if not expelled. The principal tried to say Chris had assured him and Chris’ parents that he was just kidding around. My mother told him to her it sounded like Chris was willing to show me what he thought a real man would do to me, and she asked what he would do if Chris said that to his daughter. Then she asked Chris’s parents if they thought their son’s behavior was appropriate. Chris’s dad tried to tell my mom that she needed to worry about the people I hang around. My father, who had been silent through the whole thing, asked if the school was going to take any action, because he agreed with my mother, that this was an act of bullying. The principal tried to add that Chris would have to sit out a couple of games. My mom told him that when she attends the next school board meeting, she was going to see what other parents, especially the ones who had young girls, thought of the school letting Chris sit out a couple of games and receiving detention for two days. She then asked what will it take for Chris to get a week of detention, raping a girl, or will that only be three days. Chris’s dad told my mom she was blowing this up to be more than it was, Chris was just running his mouth. My mother then asked if Chris was joking, or running his mouth, because maybe if they could establish what Chris was actually doing, maybe the school principal could find the correct punishment, or was detention the school's idea of a joke. When no one said anything, Mom told them not to worry, let Chris sit in detention, because she has a great lawyer on speed dial, and would let him decide what he feels the law would say about a boy who came up to a young girl and called her a ‘fag loving bitch’ and told her that she needed a real man. The principal tried to ask my mom to consider Chris’s future, saying that they would keep an eye on him, and keep him from being disruptive. My mom told him that if that was what he wanted to do, go ahead, but Chris, and the school, would be hearing from our lawyer. When the principal tried to stop her from leaving, she called Thomas Gabriel, who told my mother and father to give the principal his number and that we should leave.” She tells me. 

 

“Um, where did your mom get Thomas Gabriel’s number?” I ask her.

 

“Your mom, she told my mom that if she ever needed a lawyer who would fight dirty Thomas Gabriel was the guy to call.” She tells me.

 

“Did Chris get more than detention?” I ask her.

 

“The school is trying to backpedal and tell Mr. Gabriel they hadn’t figured out the punishment yet.” She tells me.

 

“Is that why Chris has been staying away from us?” I ask her.

 

“The principal promised my parents that if Chris came near us, he would be expelled, my mom thinks the school is hoping she will let this go. They don't know my mom.” She smirks at me.

 

It’s not like anything changed after I was bashed, but it's about a girl, not a gay boy. The news doesn’t take that as lightly and the school knows it. Maybe St James will have to do something this time, because letting someone who tried to kill me, graduate with everyone else, was fucked up.  

 

BRIAN

 

Ted and I were finishing up with Leo Brown, when Cynthia tells me Michael is here. He better not be here to lecture me on Justin. 

 

“I need some help.” Of course he does, why else would he be here.

 

“Dr David couldn’t help you?” I ask him. 

 

“He wants us to have a dinner party with his friends. It’s really formal, and they are all really educated and proper. Emmett is throwing it, but when I went by to see what Vic was serving, he asked about table settings and stuff. He told me there would be more than one fork.” He tells us.

 

“And the problem?” I ask him. 

 

“Brian, this isn’t a dinner at Ma’s. Emmett told me I needed to brush up on my dinner etiquette. You should come to the dinner and help me.” Michael tells me. I wasn’t aware that he had any etiquette, dinner or otherwise.

 

“Why would I want to sit around with people who, as your mother would put it, ‘have sticks up their asses’?” I ask him. 

 

“Well, David thought we should invite you, Ted, and Emmett. Ted and Emmett were apparently hanging out with David when I wasn’t around.” Michael is acting like Ted and Emmett did something to him by accepting dinner invitations from David.

 

“I’ll have to check with Justin, but I don’t see us coming. Not really our thing.” I tell him.

 

“I wasn’t inviting Justin. This is a dinner for adults.” He tells me.

 

“Then my answer is no.” I tell him.

 

“Brian, I don’t know what I’m supposed to do or say in front of his friends. I was hoping you guys would be willing to help me.” He tells me.

 

“Just serve like a good little housewife, and defer to your man. I doubt David really wants you to tell everyone about Captain Astro and Big Q.” I tell him.

 

“Can’t you guys help me with what to do, since you would rather hang out with Justin than come to my dinner.” Michael tells us.

 

“Justin could probably tell you everything you need to know, he was born in that world.” Ted tell Michael.

 

“Look, how about I come to the loft and you guys coach me.” He tells us. Ignoring Ted.

 

“Emmett was going to get Justin and Daphne to taste test the food Vic is making for the dinner party. We could just get everyone together and teach Michael how to act.” Ted tells us.

 

“I’ll be over at seven, and Brian you really should reconsider, it would be nice for my friends to support me.” He gets up and walks out of the office.

 

“I would kick your ass Theodore, but having Justin and Daphne together to correct Michael might be fun.” I tell him with a smirk.

 

“Think they could show him how to hold a fork, and wait till he’s finished swallowing before talking with his mouth full?” Ted asks me.

 

“Ted, he was still doing that when he was a grandfather.” I tell him.

 

EMMETT

 

Ted called to let me know that we were going to the loft, to teach Michael how to behave at a dinner party. You know, most people would just know how to act, but I remind myself this is Michael. Brian told me to make sure Justin and Daphne came, he thought that two country club kids were better equipped to explain formal parties to Michael. I got Justin to pick up Vic and I, because his Jeep had room to hold the food we were bringing.

 

“Why does Brian want me to help the whiny brat?” Daphne asks us.

 

“I think he just likes when you put Michael in his place.” I tell her.

 

“Well this won’t take long, I can do that in the first two minutes.” She tells us.

 

“My nephew has never eaten anywhere without placemats and bibs.” Vic tells her.

 

“Can you explain to me how Michael ties his shoes in the morning, because it seems like unless someone is holding his hand, he can’t do anything on his own.” Daphne asks him.

 

“Brian is probably hoping you’ll entertain us, while Michael pisses and whines about how hard it will be to remember which fork to use.” I tell her.

 

We get to the loft early and I watch as Daphne and Justin start setting the table. They set out all the dishes and silverware. I wonder if Michael realizes we are going to let Daphne explain it to him.

 

“Maybe we should give him a cheat sheet?” I ask them.

 

“Justin would have to draw it, because according to you Michael only understands pictures.” Daphne tells us.

 

Brian and Ted come in and Brian grabs Justin and they disappear into the bathroom. Hopefully they won’t just leave us alone here with Michael. Michael shows up and complains about having to be let in, saying that if he had his key, he could have just come up. I thought we were through with that argument.

 

“If you had a key, Brian and Justin would have to move, because your whiny ass would try to live here.” Daphne tells him.

 

“I thought I told Brian I wanted you guys to help me.” He tells us, glaring at Daphne. 

 

“I thought you were going to a dinner party with people like my parents.” Daphne tells him.

 

“David’s friends are doctors, lawyers, and business professionals.” He tells Daphne.

 

“My mother and father are doctors, so like I said, people like my parents. If you want help sit your ass down.” She tells him.

 

Michael actually sat down, go Daphne.

 

“Michael, let’s start with the silverware. I made you a list of how it’s arranged and what each item is for.” I tell him.

 

“This would be easier if you had pictures of it. David is expecting me to arrange the table.” He whines. 

 

“Told you.” Daphne tells me. 

 

Brian comes out of the bedroom looking very relaxed, at least someone is having a good time.

 

“Why do we need so many forks?” Michael asks.

 

“Each one is for a different course.” Daphne rolls her eyes.

 

“What’s with all the different glasses?” He grips.

 

“You have different glasses for water and wine, and if the host is going to serve different dishes you need more that one wine to compliment each dish.” Justin tells him.

 

“Why not just use one wine glass?” He asks us.

 

“Michael, if I pour red wine in a glass, and you drink it all, the glass still contains remnants of the red wine. By separating the glasses, you don’t end up with red and white mixing.” I tell him.

 

“Can’t they just rinse it out?” He asks us.

 

“This is Deb and my fault, Michael has only seen wine from a jug.” Vic jokes.

 

“No Michael, your guests assume you know to supply different glasses.” Justin tells him. 

 

“Why is it so complicated?” Michael asks Daphne.

 

“Maybe if we sit and eat while we coach him, it will be easier.” I tell everyone. 

 

I bring the appetizers out first. Vic wanted something Michael couldn't make a mess with.

 

“What is that?” Michael asks.

 

“Grilled eggplant with marinated sliced tomatoes and smoked gouda.” I tell him.

 

Michael picks up his fork to stab one. Daphne grabs his hand and pulls the fork out of if.

 

“See the serving spoons? You use those to put them on your plate.” She tell him.

 

We watch as Daphne makes Michael use the spoons to put it on his plate. He starts to pick it up with his hands, when Daphne smacks his hand and hands him the fork and knife, then shows him to cut it into smaller bites. At this point we all just stop helping Michael, because he is paying attention to Daphne. He picked up his shovel, I mean fork, only to have Justin snatch it out of his hand.

 

“Who taught you how to hold a fork?” Daphne asks him. 

 

“No one, it’s a fork, not that complicated.” He tells her.

 

“Yes it’s a fork, but why are you treating it like a shovel?” She asks him.

 

She takes the fork from Justin and puts it correctly in Michael’s hand, then shows him how to hold it.

 

“Now, when you go to use the fork, not shovel, you don’t stab the food but press the fork into the food.” She tells him.

 

We watch as Michael seems to have a problem figuring out how to do what she told him.

 

“Here Michael, I’m going to put my hand over yours,” Daphne tells him as she holds his hand like he is a two year old, “You press with the fork and lift it to your mouth.” She tells him, still holding on and guiding him.

 

Michael manages to get it in his mouth and starts chewing.

 

“I don’t under…” Michael starts to say, only for Justin to interrupt.

 

“Don’t talk until there is nothing in your mouth.” He tells Michael.

 

Michael swallows.

 

“What am I supposed to talk about?” He asks us.

 

“Current events, movies or books are always good. Stay away from political areas, because not everyone agrees with everyone else’s views.” Justin tells him. 

 

“I'm not really up on current events and the only movies I watch are action movies.” He tells us. 

 

“Maybe you could pick up a newspaper and try reading it.” Daphne tells him. 

 

 “Why would I do that?” Michael asks her. 

 

“So you don't sound like an idiot, talking about your comic collection.”  She tells him. 

 

Michael rolls his eyes but keeps his mouth shut. He didn’t like being told to close his mouth or being told comics weren’t the only things in the world. I guess having to learn how to eat and converse from teens was just too much for him, because he tells us he has to go. Without a goodbye he walks out of the loft.

 

“Has he always eaten like that?” Daphne asks.