- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This is the run up to Lindz's cocktail party, which gets it own chapter.

CHAPTER 10 – MAKING PLANS AND ALMOST MAKING A ROOKIE MISTAKE…

 

BROWNSTONE

 

SUNDAY MORNING AFTER BOXING DAY

 

LINDZ

 

I can’t wait to host my cocktail party in Emmett’s place!  I’m so looking forward to planning and decorating, though I am not sure what kind of style is in there house as we’ve never been, we’ve either been at Britin, Debs or the loft.  Ideally I had hoped to host it at Britin, I am hoping it’s not too football themed.  Michael told me that the poolhouse was fully kitted out so we could use that for something.  I wonder what menus he’s coming up with.

 

I can hear the movement from upstairs.  I’m not sure what time Hunter and Matt are coming over if at all but I don’t care what Zee says, this is our home and they will abide by my rules.

 

                “Mom.”  Gus mutters

 

He’s been snippy since Christmas Day, I had hoped he gotten over this by now.

 

                “Gus, are you still sulking about that telling off?”

 

                “What the totally unnecessary one you gave me, yeah I am still annoyed about it, but that’s not why I’m as you say, sulking.  I don’t understand why we had to come home last night.  We were supposed to spend the night and then come home later today.”

 

I chuckle and then smile at him, he doesn’t smile back.

 

                “Lamb…Gus, you remind me so much of your father.  I’m going to be hosting a cocktail party for New Year’s Eve and everyone is invited.  I had so many ideas that I had to come home and think about them…”

 

                “That explains how you had to come home but not how we did.  You and momma could’ve come…wait a party you’re hosting a party for everyone, who’s everyone and where are you hosting it, surely not here, it’s too small.  When Jenny came here when Uncle Justin was in NYC it was just comfortable for 6…”

 

                “Yes I know that.  We’re hosting it at Emmett’s place.  And it’s for the family and maybe some friends that we can reconnect with now that we’re back in Pittsburgh, it’s going to be so much fun!”

 

He frowns and shakes his head before grabbing some juice leaving, presumably to sulk in his room.

 

                “What’s up with Gus?”  Mel asks.

 

                “He’s still sulking about the telling off I gave him on Christmas Day for embarrassing me over breakfast.  And he’s now pouting over having to come home last night instead of this morning.” 

 

I reply putting the coffee on and pouring some juice.  When she doesn’t say anything I turn round and she’s looking incredulously at me.

 

                “What on earth did you do that for?  Don’t you realise what a mixed message that sends?  And he’s right they didn’t have to come home last night, you did kind of ruin their evening for them.” 

 

                “What!  I did no such thing!  And how is there a mixed message!”

 

                “He called you out on your rudeness, yes it was rudeness Lindz.  You’ve always told the kids that they should speak their minds when they see something that isn’t right.  Well what you were going to do wasn’t right and he spoke his mind, you apologised and then you tell him off.  The message you are sending is that you can condemn bad behaviour unless it’s mine.”

 

                “That’s ridiculous!”  I snap.

 

                “And you were lucky that Gus got there first as it was a lot nicer than I was going to put it.  Now that we are home, we need to sit down and look at the listings that Jennifer left us and you need to seriously start checking the galleries…”

 

                “We don’t need to look at them right this minute we have time and the galleries…”

 

                “No we don’t have time Lindz.  We’ve already been here two weeks, we’ve only got a month left and those places will go very quickly.  The kids are already registered in their schools so it has to be round here.  I have to prepare to start work on the 10th, there is a shitload of cases I need to read up on before then.  And then there’s getting the kids to school, though thank goodness they don’t start until the 10th either.  So really, Lindz, I’m am relying on you to do this…”

 

                “So what am I now the housewife?  Would you like me to greet you with a G&T when you come through the door and then have dinner ready for you, the kids with freshly scrubbed faces and waiting for you to grace them with your presence?!”

 

                “Tell me Lindsay.  Why does you finding us a family home to live in seem to be such a hardship?  Please don’t tell me you are using delaying tactics in the hope that Brian will come to our rescue and let us stay in Britin?  ”

 

                “Don’t be ridiculous!” 

 

                “Then why not just get off your ass and do it.  Hell you managed to find somewhere for Michael to live without a problem why not us?!”

 

                “That’s not fair!  He was in a real bind…”

 

                “Of his own making!” 

 

                “For fuck sake!”  Gus shouts and grabs the folder of listings.  “Here this one!  Just shut the fuck up about this already!”

 

SHADYSIDE RESIDENCE

 

MICHAEL

 

I can’t believe ma, why does she always have to embarrass me in front of the guys, especially that jerk, Steve.  

 

I don’t see what was wrong with the gifts I got them.  At least I got them something unlike Brian who didn’t get Lindsay anything. 

 

BROWNSTONE

 

MEL

 

                “Actually it’s not bad.” 

 

I say to Gus sitting down next to him on the sofa with the listing.  He’s really trying very hard to ignore me and not smile.

 

                “Shall I put the call in to Jennifer so we can go and have a look?” 

 

                “If you want.”  He mumbles fiddling with his phone.

 

                “Expecting a call from a secret admirer?”  Lindz comes in and sits down next to him.

 

                “Grandpa.”

 

                “Oh.”

 

                “Yeah we’re going to look at the car dad got me see how much work needs to be done on it.”

 

Lindz and I exchange glances, before either of us could speak his phone rang.

 

                “Hi grandpa.  You are that’s great, can you pick me up and J too, sure how long.  Okay see you soon.  J wanna come see my car?!”  

 

He runs upstairs yelling.

 

Twenty minutes later they are gone. 

 

                “Look Mel, we’re just stressed over the move and starting a new job and everything.  I think that the cocktail party will be just what we need and having our old network of friends back will also be great.”

 

I sigh and nod, let her think she’s won.

 

SHADYSIDE RESIDENCE

 

MICHAEL

 

I have spent the morning going through my paperwork so I can prepare the room for when Honeybun visits, which I hope will be soon. 

 

I really don’t see how them going to school round here is a hardship.  In fact I am going to prove that it not.

 

                “Hi Mel it’s me Michael.”

 

BROWNSTONE

 

MEL

 

I hang up and stare at my phone in shock.

 

                “Mel?  Mel what’s the matter?  Who was that?”  Lindz’s concerned voice eventually reaches me.

 

                “That was Michael.  He, uh, he wants to take Jenny for the first week of school.  Said he would take care of everything.”

 

                “Well that’s great isn’t it right?  You and she wanted him to be involved more so this is the perfect time for him to do this.  This is a win-win for all of us.  You can start your first week knowing that Jenny is with her dad and taken care of and I can use that time focusing full time on looking at galleries and putting in my resume.”

 

I nod slowly head to the wine rack but I manage to stop myself whilst thinking this is the worst idea since in forever!  How the fuck do I get out of this!

 

TREEHOUSE – LATE MORNING

 

JENNIFER

 

                “Emmy Lou and Daph, may I have a word?”

 

They follow me to the back kitchen.

 

                “Whatever you are planning, you cannot do it without the help of me, well you can but I can make sure she doesn’t see it coming and besides I want in so spill!”

 

                “On one condition?”  Daph grins at me.

 

                “Go ahead?”  I’m wary I can always leave them to it.

 

                “You tell us what the bet was with Tucker?”  Daph narrows her eyes playfully at me.

 

                “How did…did Zee?”

 

                “No, do you know you can see the office atrium from here.  Faal was watching and starting laughing but wouldn’t tell us why.  You want in we want to know.”  Emmy Lou was bouncing.

 

                “Oh to hell with it.  I’ve seen the backroom of Babylon this is nothing. The loser in the Christmas tree decorating has to be cast in glass.” 

 

I hope they will leave it there and for a few brief minutes I think I am safe.

 

                “Oh.  My.  God!  You mean to tell me if he won you would’ve had to have your…”

 

                “No Daphne, no!  He happens to prefer my uh…”

 

                “Tatas?”  Emmy Lou suggests.

 

I just nod.

 

                “So you get your own little Tucker for those nights when you’re lonesome.”  Emmy Lou teases me

 

                “Or I feel like fucking him for a change, now am I in or not?”

 

They grin and then nod.

 

MATT’S ROOM

 

HUNTER

 

                “Do you think Brian will let us stay in the loft for the entire time they are in the Brownstone?”

 

                “I’m sure he would but I think mom and dad would prefer us to be there sometimes, to stop the nesting instinct that Lindsay seems to be harbouring.   Especially for my dad or Brian, it’s kinda creepy.  Did I tell you that mom told her that we had more right to fuck in there than she does?”

 

I look incredulously at him and snicker.  He nods and slides back into bed having stoked the fire

 

                “She is the coolest lady.”  I murmur sliding into his embrace.

 

                “Yep.”

 

CARL’S LOCK UP

 

JENNY

 

                “For a pile of junk it is a cool pile of junk.”  I decide

 

                “What is it exactly?”  Papa asks

 

                “It is a 1948 Lincoln Coupe and I think it was burgundy, this is what it’s going to look like*.”

 

                “You have got to be kidding me!”  I squeal.  “Okay so let’s get to work that way I can fully justify begging to borrow it!”

 

                “How long do you think it would take us to get it done?”  Gus asks

 

                “If we do weekends and can find the parts about six months.  Why?”  Grandpa asks.

 

                “They are going to need a wedding car and this is going to be it.”  Gus states firmly

 

And it’s official, I have one of the best brothers in the world!

 

RED CAPE COMICS – MONDAY MORNING

 

MICHAEL

 

                “Can I help you sir?”

 

                “Seems pretty quiet in here.”  I can’t keep the smugness out of my voice.

 

                “This is the browsing hour, we don’t open officially until 1100 on a Monday.  Are you here for the class?  Or are you interested in the collectibles or a specific comic.”

 

                “Browsing hour?  Class?”  I look at him confused.

 

                “Yes, my name is Stuart and I’m the new manager here.  Are you new to the area?  On Monday we do a swap meet, well it’s like a mini auction really where other comic book aficionados come in with their collections.  It was an idea of the design director of the shop and it just blew up very quickly.  If you want to join the class I’m afraid we are fully booked for the next six months, we can put you down on the waiting list.”

 

                “And the class what’s that about?”

 

                “Mr Taylor, one of the co-owners thought it would be good for those who love comics to learn to draw them.  It’s such a shame that Rage the Movie never got made, it would’ve been awesome.”

 

I stare incredulously at him. 

 

                “You know about Rage the Comic book?”

 

                “Yeah.  Loved the art work but some of the dialogue I thought was a bit clunky and immature.  The only character I didn’t quite understand was Zephyr, he just didn’t seem to fit in with the dynamic of Rage, I mean I got it from the point of view that he was the side kick but once JT arrived he just didn’t seem necessary after a while.”

 

I could feel my face getting redder and redder.  Immature, clunky and unnecessary, how dare he!  I was about to tell him exactly who I was when another customer came in.  None other than David with Hank, I move to behind the computers so they can’t see me.

 

                “I shall leave you to browse sir.  Good morning gentlemen, my name is Stuart how may I help you?”

 

                “We’re here for the swap meet.”   David tells him.

 

                “Sure gents, what do you have to offer?  Oh my goodness, is that Scorpion Head Issue 34, that’s not a swap that’s definitely an auction, it will create a lot of interest.  May I?”

 

                “How much do you reckon I could get for it, I’ve no interest in it anymore?”

 

                “Hmm, depends if it goes to a private bidder or not.  But in this condition, I would put a reserve at $7K, as it’s a little battered but there will be huge interest.”

 

                “Great, when does the swap I mean auction start?” 

 

                “1200, and it’s online, that way it doesn’t disturb the class upstairs or the get in the way of customers, but all items have to be brought here first that way at least we know they’re genuine.  So are you sure about this?”

 

                “Yep want rid of it.  I want to buy my little sister something.”

 

David practically beams with pride, how sickening you hypocrite, I think to myself.

 

                “Right here’s your pack and hope you get a good price.”

 

                “Thanks.”

 

Once they leave the shop I come out having had an idea.

 

                “Stuart, you mentioned Rage, what if I told you that I have a first edition copy?”

 

                “I would say keep it for a few more years unless you can get it signed by Justin Taylor.  We had a few come in and they went for about $70 or so but the one that he signed went for $11K.”

 

                “And what about the script for Rage…”

 

                “This is a comic book store there’s no point in the words without pictures.  Is there anything else I can help you with?”

 

I shake my head and decide to head to the diner.

 

DINER

 

DEBS

 

Great just great the two maelstroms of misery, as Faal has taken to calling them, are coming from opposite directions and no doubt shit is about to go down in here.

 

                “Lindz how are you and Michael what a coincidence.”

 

                “Ma you okay?”  He’s frowning at me.

 

                “Yes of course, what can I get you both?”  I ask

 

                “Coffee for me and Michael?”

 

                “Me too.”

 

They take a table and start to chat and of course, of fucking course Justin is coming in, seriously why just why when you need Brian to be fucking Justin’s brains out he’s not!

 

                “Hey Deb!  Hey Miss K!” 

 

                “Sunshine!”  Kiki calls out and ushers him into her section, which is a bit of a relief.

 

Lindz and Michael stop whatever they were talking about and look up.  Michael goes up to him and it looks like Lindz is not happy about that.

 

                “Hey Justin.”

 

Justin looks up and says nothing and goes back to checking his phone

 

                “So I was thinking about Rage…”

 

At this Justin looks up.

 

                “I went to my comic book store today and…”

 

                “Our comic book store, it is ours not yours.  Now if you don’t mind I would like to order and then eat my meal in peace.”

 

                “Look we don’t have to like each other…”

 

        “We don’t.”

 

        “But I think we should bring Rage back, there’s a great demand for him.” 

 

        “From whom?”

 

This question throws him and he looks puzzled.

 

                “You said there is a great demand for Rage and I am asking you from whom, because nobody has contacted me about resurrecting him.”

 

                “Why would they contact you and not me, I wrote the dialogue?”

 

                “And I drew him, the stories were from our lives and I don’t want to bring him back.”

 

                “Well I do.”

 

                “Well tough shit you can’t.”

 

                “Yes I can we have a partnership for this!” 

 

                “Had.  It was dissolved when I bought you out of said partnership Michael or don’t you remember the $20K you were paid for it?  Which was more than generous.”

 

                “I will just someone else to draw him then!”

 

                “And I will sue you for breach of copyright.” 

               

                “I’ll take you to...”

 

I hear a groan followed by ‘for fuck sake’ as one of the leather bears looks at Michael.  Lindz takes this opportunity to intervene.

 

                “Michael this is too public a forum to discuss money, why don’t you and Justin set up an appointment to discuss this hmm?”

 

And she starts to tug him away, with one last glower at Justin he follows her out.

 

LINDZ

 

                “Michael what on earth were you thinking approaching Justin like that!”

 

                “Like what.  You heard him Lindz he was being unreasonable over Rage.”

 

                “When and why did you dissolve the partnership?”

 

                “Whilst he was in New York he didn’t have time to draw him and I couldn’t think of another story line so when he offered me the money I took it.  It was just before he came back for good.”

 

                “Let’s go in here.”

 

I spy a quaint little coffee shop and we are seated quickly.

 

                “So what happened to that money?”  I ask him.

 

                “Oh that’s long gone.  I bought some collectibles and some things for the house.  Ben and I even went on holiday with some of it.”

 

                “Why was Ben so against you getting the money from Brian and Justin in the first place, I have never understood that?”

 

                “He didn’t want me to be using Brian as my and I quote ‘personal banking service’ every time I need money.  I told him that he didn’t mind but he wanted to remortgage the house and the store and put both our names on the deeds but I didn’t want to do that and then Boy Wonder had to come back that day and interfere and here we are.”

 

                “Michael, I’m sorry to have upset you over this.  Let’s talk about something else, like my cocktail party.  You are obviously coming right?”

 

He nods and then scowls and I look behind me and spot David.

 

                “Oh my goodness, David?  David what are you doing here?” 

 

I get up to greet him and at first he seems hesitant because but then he breaks into a smile.

 

                “Lindsay!  How lovely to see you, I heard you were back in Pittsburgh.” 

 

        “Yes.  Mel was made partner at Chase Harold and Draper so here we are.  Oh what are you doing for New Year’s Eve?”

 

        “Nothing presently why?”

 

        “I’m hosting a little cocktail party at a friend’s house, our Brownstone is a little small for what I had in mind and I would be delighted if you could join us?”

 

He looks surprised but nods his acceptance.

 

        “Look if we can swap numbers and I will send you the details and if you have a guest you wish to bring do feel free to do so.”

 

        “Thanks Lindsay, I look forward to it.  Now if you excuse me I have to get my order to go.  I’ve got some Christmas presents to return.  Teenagers can be a bit picky.”

 

I rejoin Michael who is looking more mutinous than usual.

 

        “Why did you have to invite him to the party?” 

 

        “I don’t know it just slipped out before I could stop myself.  I’m sorry Michael but it’s too late to uninvited him.  I’ll make sure that you two are kept apart the entire evening okay.”  I promise him.

 

He looks cheerful at that.

 

                “And I bet that was Boy Wonder’s idea too because Brian wouldn’t do that to you.”  He grumbles.

 

                “What was Boy…Justin’s idea?”

 

                “You not getting a Christmas present.”

 

Fuck I had forgotten that! 

 

BROWNSTONE – LATE AFTERNOON

 

MEL

 

It has been lovely to have the house to myself.  Jenny called and said that she’s being a grease monkey with Gus and they will stay at Debs for dinner.  It’s given me time to gather my thoughts and book an appointment for my fittings.  I’m still in shock over that, it was so generous of them.  I hear the front door go and check to see who it is and it’s Hunter and Matt.

 

                “Hey guys I didn’t expect you until much later in the day.  Have you eaten?”

 

                “But I could eat something else?”  Hunter looks hopeful.

 

I smile at him and rifle in the fridge.

 

                “Can you get that?”  I ask him as the doorbell goes.

 

I hear Lindz’s voice and grimace slightly.

 

                “Mel you forgot to give me your key this morning.  Actually, come think of it why don’t I just get a set cut from Hunter, which would…”

 

Her sentence is cut off by the door going again. 

 

                “Hi Nana Jen, what you doing here?”

 

                “Mel called about the viewing and I’m glad she did as we can see it in 40 minutes and I must apologise to you Lindsay.”

 

                “To me, why?” 

 

                “In my haste to let you have alone time when you moved in here I forgot to give you a key, to here as well, my apologies.”

 

                “Oh…that’s alright…thank you.  Fortunately, I hadn’t had to go out much.  I was just going to get Hunter to cut me a set of his, but you’ve saved him the trouble.  Let me just freshen up, won’t be long.”

 

She dashes upstairs.

 

                “I bet I’ve saved him the trouble.”  She mutters.

 

                “Uh Jennifer, not sure what…”

 

                “Hunter, promise me you won’t leave your keys to the loft or the Treehouse here?”

 

He shrugs and nods and then kisses her on the cheek and goes to join Matt upstairs.

 

                “Okay what was that about?”  I ask her.

 

                “Do you really think she would just have got copies of the keys to here?” 

 

                “Oh you are so much the better WASP!”  I giggle.

 

                “I almost missed it, it wasn’t until Emmy Lou said about keys to his place for her.  And then I remembered about you saying you were the only one with keys, I realised what she might do.”

 

                “What who might do?”  Lindz comes in on the end of the sentence.

 

                “The lady who is renting out her property.  She might allow you to move in immediately.” 

 

                “I hope not, we’ve only just moved in here!”  She gasps.  “I don’t think I could do another move that quickly could you Mel?”

 

                “No for once, Lindz is right, we need to be looking at moving at the end of this tenancy.”

 

Jennifer nods and smiles and follows us out.  I try not to smirk at the irritation that flicked across Lindz’s face, was it for the “for once” comment or that Jennifer out buzzed her.

 

TUESDAY MORNING

 

TREEHOUSE

 

FAAL

 

                “Lig?”

 

                “Mmm what’s up?”

 

She looks up from her pot, she’s doing recipe testing for Emmy Lou and it smells divine.

 

                “I still don’t understand what she’s up to.  Michael just wants back in Brian and I think incredibly back in Ben’s life.  But Lindz’s motives I don’t get.”

 

                “Apart from trying to get into your pants you mean?”

 

                “Well that’s not happening…ugh, I wouldn’t touch her with, what’s the phrase…”

 

                “Wouldn’t touch her with someone else’s dick?”

 

                “Yes that’s it.  No I mean for Brian she seems hellbent in getting into Britin but doesn’t seem too bothered about him and Justin getting married, unlike Michael who is a mass of shrewish resentment.  I have been tossing ideas around and they are just not making sense to me.  Like could she be cheating on Mel?  Is there something in Britin itself that she’s after?  Is there…”

 

All this time she’s let me ramble and is now looking at me bemusedly.

 

                “Overthinking?”  I ask.

 

                “Just a tad.  Look whatever it is she’s after clearly isn’t available now, though I suspect it something more to do with Gus than anything else.  Now come taste the stew.”

 

WEDNESDAY

 

BROWNSTONE – EARLY AFTERNOON

 

LINDZ

 

I am so excited for Friday, I have over a list of 25 people coming and today I finally get to go over to the house to see how I want things and to talk menus with Emmett, he’s been out of town for the last few days on business. 

 

BOYD HONEYCUTT RESIDENCE

 

DREW

 

                “So how was your business trip dear?  You owe me big for leaving me to deal with her histrionics, whilst cackling into a cushion.  She sounds like a rabid snake when she’s shrill.”  I mumble into Ems’s neck and give him a quick nip.

 

                “Ouch.   I know sweetie, but when I told Daph what she almost did with that snowball she was furious and rightly so, I still have a bruise!”

 

                “Do I want to know what you two have planned?” 

 

                “Three, Jen’s in as well.  And no I think its best that the less people who know the better, especially you.  Ah she’s here now, now go be gorgeous elsewhere sweetie.”

 

I shake my head and go down to the den, as I pass Mitchell he grins at me and lets her in.

 

EMMETT

 

                “Lindz how lovely to see you, you are looking uh…radiant.”  I kiss her on both cheeks.

 

She looks round in awe.

 

                “Oh Emmett, it’s gorgeous.  Right let’s get down to business.  Where would be the best place to host it?”

 

I lead her to the upper lounge, it looks over the pool and is large and airy.

 

                “How many people can fit in here standing?”

 

                “Up to 60.  So what’s the theme Madam Hostess?”

 

                “Well I was thinking of going gothic or maybe ethereal like Swan Lake…what do you think?”

 

                “Maybe something different, more avant-garde.  You said you are doing a cocktail party why not like a masquerade ball, remember the Carnivale that Brian did for the GLC something like that…well not quite like that but you get the gist!  Have people wearing masques and the like.”

 

                “Oh that’s marvellous!  I knew I could rely on you!  Now food what kind of food do you have in mind?”

 

                “Did I have in mind?  I’m not sure what you mean?”

 

                “Well you’re a caterer…”

 

                “Yes I know that.  But Lindz I am lending you my house not my talent.  I assumed you realised that.  I can give you some people to contact but I have no intention of working that night for anyone, it’s the first New Year’s Eve I’ve had off in 3 years.”

 

She looks at me.

 

                “But it’s Wednesday.”

 

                “And I know that too.  So I suppose I can help you out.  Here’s the best people to contact, they won’t be up to my standard but they are the next best thing.  I can make suggestions from their menu and I would also suggest that you get the invites out quickly like by this evening.  We are talking about queers…we need at least a day to shop and beautify ourselves!

 

                “Okay so who are these people and what do you recommend.”  She pouts.

 

                “Right.  Now you can send the invite from my office, just up there, I’ll start making the calls.  That is the last thing I am doing for you.  Okay.”

 

She smiles gratefully and heads upstairs, after about 10 minutes I call up to her. 

 

                “Lindz!  Can you come down here for a minute?  Need you to speak to them about wine and I am expecting a delivery at any minute.”

 

                “Oh sure.  I’m almost done with the invite as well.”

 

She hurries down and speaks to the caterers

 

                “Yes that’s the food and drinks sorted and the waiters!”

 

                “Great, that’s great.” 

 

                “You okay Emmett?” 

 

                “Huh just waiting for the delivery.  Look let’s go check your invite I’m sure that Mitchell will get to the door before me or Francine anyway.”

 

She pulls me upstairs excitedly and I take a good look at it and after making some adjustments to the font tell her just to send it as again it’s getting close to party date.  I hear the doorbell go and then Mitchell comes in to the office.

 

                “Miss Daph to see you sir, shall I send her up?”

 

                “No, we’ll come down thank you Mitchell.”  Lindz tells him

 

                “Master Emmett, shall I send her up?” 

 

I try not to laugh at the scathing look he gave her or the little twitch her eye made.

 

                “We’ll be right down.”

 

                “Thank you Master Emmett.”

 

We follow him down and Daphne is holding a package.

 

                “This came for you.  Laudree…very nice!”  She smiles.  “Hi Lindsay all set for Friday?”

 

                “Yes thanks, your invite should be with you shortly.  Look I have to go.  I have to speak to Mel and need to talk to Brian.  And I need to get an outfit and go to the salon, so much to do as the hostess!”

 

She dashes out and Daph and I exchange smiles.

 

                “Bubbles Master Emmett, Miss Daph?”  Mitchell asks.

 

                “Oh yes definitely bubbles!”  Daph giggles.

 

BROWNSTONE

 

LINDZ

 

                “Brian, its Lindz.  Are you okay you sound out of breath?  Oh okay.  Look Peter, you have hurt me.  I know that we got the tickets for San Francisco.  But for Mel to be given what she was in such a public way and me nothing was hurtful.  You do?  But it’s not ready yet, can’t you give me a clue?!  Oh come on just a little clue.  Okay I shall be a good Wendy and wait.  Love you Peter.”

 

BRITIN

 

BRIAN

 

I stare at Justin in disbelief. 

 

                “Did that just happen?  Did she actually call to complain about not getting a present?”

 

                “Yep.  You realise you can only stall her for so long.  It was a good save though.  Why not tell her that you’ve not got her anything?”

 

                “I’ve adopted Zee’s way of thinking, you lie to me I lie to you.”

 

                “Was speaking to Faal this morning and he’s been trying to work out what she’s up to and he says Zee reckons it’s something to do with Gus.  Maybe we should have the paperwork looked at again?”

 

He nods and goes to make a call.

 

                “Not just yet.”  He murmurs palming my cock through my jeans.

 

                “Yeah.  I guess it can wait for a bit.” 

 

I groan as he slips his hand inside my jeans and pulls me down for a kiss.

 

THURSDAY MORNING

 

DINER

 

LINDZ

 

I’m on my way to the salon and then I have to pick up my dress when I spot Ben sitting by the window.  My phone has been going non-stop with people accepting my invitation and thanking me for my generosity.  Let’s see you beat that Zee.  So far my 25 is now 42, I have been in touch with the caterers and bumped up the food.

 

                “Hey Ben.  How are you, mind if I join you?”

 

He indicates a seat and sits back expectantly.

 

                “Look I want to talk to you about Michael and the reason he’s delaying signing the papers….”

 

                “To make my life miserable?”  He replies curtly.

 

                “No, he wants you back.  He still loves you.  Is there any chance that you two can be reconciled?  This thing with Steve is it real or a kneejerk reaction?” 

 

                “It’s real.  I’m really happy.  Michael doesn’t love me, he had no problem being with David when I was single.  He only wants me back because there is no-one in his life.  Well that’s not going to happen, even if Steve and I don’t work out I will never go back to Michael.  I couldn’t do that to Hunter or myself.”

 

                “Okay, I understand.  Look I have to go to the salon, please don’t tell Michael I spoke to you.”

 

                “Oh don’t worry I make it my daily mission to speak to Michael as little as possible.  Look whilst you’re here, thanks, it’s a very generous gesture, not sure how you are going to pull off a mixture of teens and adults but Jenny’s looking forward to it.”

 

                “Looking forward to what?”  I look at him in surprise.

 

                “The cocktail party.  Although now thanks to you I have the joys of dress shopping.  Luckily Steve is coming with me, he can hold my hand during the trauma of it all.  I would rather go and get a clothes for Hunter but Faal got that one as he’s just as fashion conscious as Brian.  See you.”

 

                “Hun...”

 

                “Lindsay, how are you this morning, I am so looking forward to your little soiree tomorrow.” 

 

Jennifer’s cool crisp tones cut across my confusion.

 

                “Hi Jennifer.  I’m looking forward to hosting it.  Shame we couldn’t do it at Britin though.”

 

                “How on earth did you manage to get Emmett to agree to a split party?  You have some incredible powers of persuasion.”

 

                “Split...?”

 

                “Though I don’t recall a media room or anything like that at their house.  No matter I’m sure you’ve got it all in hand adults on one floor kids on another then merging together to ring in the New Year, can’t wait to see what you have for food.  Look I have to run, I have to go shopping with Debs for her cocktail dress.”

 

What the hell are they talking about?!  I head to the salon and heave a sigh of relief finally I get some pamper time to myself.  Another RSVP pings into my inbox.  Oh my fucking God I need to speak to Emmett!

 

                “Emmett is Lindz, there’s been a disaster and I need you to help me fix it!  Well it seems that somewhere along the line I managed to invite teenagers to my cocktail party and now it’s too late to withdraw the invite!  Please tell me that you at least have a pool table or something that can keep teenagers occupied!  I can’t believe that was on the invite, I don’t recall putting it there.  And of course this means that Gus will want to invite his friends and oh my God this is going to be a disaster!  And I need to speak to Brian again about getting Gus a tuxedo.”

 

EMMETT

 

                “Lindz, calm down, breathe and breathe!  Where are you it sounds like you’re in a wind tunnel…oh in the salon, I see.  Look how about you hire a karaoke machine, we have a games room by the poolhouse but the media room is out of bounds.  It has all of Drew’s footballing trophies and stuff in there.  Gus doesn’t need a tuxedo he’s going to be with his friends, he doesn’t need to be gussied up, oh sorry, for that!  See solutions found.  And no need to disturb Brian!  So please just concentrate on getting yourself beautified!   Now here’s the people for the karaoke hire…”

 

Having talked one lesbian out of our tree, I call my girls.

 

                “Our work here is done.  We now just have to let her little light shine…”