- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Post Lindsay's soiree reverberations, last at least few days...

CHAPTER 12 – PROMISES OF THE PAST & PAYBACK IS A…WELL READ ON!

 

POOLHOUSE – NEW YEAR’S DAY 2015

 

BRIAN

 

We’re sitting on the sofas now, Justin is still giggling and wiping his eyes, sipping champagne and listening in disbelief at their sins.

 

                “Wait so how did you persuade her to invite the kids, I wouldn’t have thought she would’ve wanted them there.”  Justin asks.

 

                “She wouldn’t and that’s why Emmy Lou was ‘away on business for two days’.  We wanted a shorter time frame as possible for everything to have to be done, so by the time she realised what had happened with the invite she couldn’t back out.  And we didn’t exactly persuade her…”  Jennifer is beginning to grin.

 

                “Mom what did you do?”

 

                “Nothing I did nothing!  I just suggested a teeny amendment to the invite to say ‘Teens warmly welcome’.”

 

                “Yes but how did you get it done?”  I ask.

 

                “Emmy Lou let her use his office to send the invites, I was hiding in the cupboard and when she went down I added that bit.  Then Mitchell helped me sneak back downstairs so that I would be at the front door with a box of macaroons.  When they went back up again, Emmy Lou said he would check the invite and after minor tweaking urged her to send it…and she did and the rest is the stuff of legend!”

 

Daph raised her glass and slung back the rest of her champagne.

 

                “Okay, so you did all of that why Emmy Lou.  What do you mean she was coming after your girls?”

 

Emmy Lou sighs.

 

                “Remember Christmas and you were all outside having a great time?  Well she’d just finished off telling Gus off and she saw Daph and picked up a snowball and threw it at her…”

 

                “Daph is a big girl Emmy Lou, she would’ve taken care of Lindz after that no problem.”  I tease

 

Emmy Lou takes off his jacket and lowers his shirt, there is a bruise on his arm, fading but it’s there.

 

                “She was holding Taylor at the time and this is what happened when the snowball hit me…can you imagine…”  He trailed off.  “She blathered about not knowing that she was holding Taylor but even so…”

 

“Lindz wouldn’t have thrown it if she knew about Taylor.  She is a lot of things but she would never knowingly hurt a child.”  I sigh.

 

                “I know.”  Emmy Lou concedes.  “And also the way she belittles and discounts Zee gets on my tits!

 

                “Zee can take care of herself too.”  I tell him softly. 

 

                “She may be ex-military and whatnot but she’s my girl and she’s got a heart of gold…and she’s...”

 

                “What is it Emmy, why does she mean so much in such a short space of time?”  Justin asks gently.

 

                “Because she does, I mean they do.  She and Faal are just so giving with little things.  When you got hurt, the first thing they did was use their private plane to get us there.  Justin wanted to ice skate at Christmas so they freeze their pool.  She didn’t have to give them the Brownstone to live in, but she did…just to save you from having to put them up even though you would’ve done.  And hated every minute of it.”

 

                “And because of her you have your living scarf called Lilah.  And they’re going as far as to soundproof your room…”  Jen laughs.

 

Daph suddenly stands up and gasps.

 

                “Shit someone did get Michael out of the pool…right?”

 

We dash outside and indeed someone had managed to get Michael out of the pool, luckily he popped up by the side and it was a case of dragging him out without the need for anybody to get in the pool to rescue him.

 

Tucker comes over with a big grin on his face and shaking his head.

 

                “For all the wrong reasons that was an awesome soiree!  Now can I steal away my lady as she’s going to tell me how she out buzzed Lindsay.”

 

We head back towards Faal who was talking to Matt.  Almost all of Lindz’s guests had taken off with some having left cards for Emmy Lou.  Francine and Emily are still here along with Vince, David and Charles.

 

Debs was looking very subdued.

 

                “Hey ma, it’s not as if he drowned.”  I teased her. 

 

                “Huh, oh no honey I just wonder where Zee is, she’s been gone a long time.”

 

Faal, Justin, Emmy Lou and I wander into the house and find Zee cleaning up the kitchen and packing up the catering kit with the help of Leda, Jenny, Gus and Hank. 

 

                “This is why.  She could’ve left it for Lindz to do later…like I was going to.”  Emmy whispers. 

 

                “Hey guys.  You didn’t have to do that.  We would’ve…”  Mel’s voice startles us.

 

                “Uh, kids why don’t you hit the games room?”  Zee suggests and they are gone.

 

Leda wipes down her hands and pulls a shaking Mel into her arms.

 

                “Aw sugarlips, I’m so sorry this all happened…”

 

Mel starts to shake harder.

 

                “I’m not.  It’s been one of the best evenings of my entire fucking life!”  She roars with laughter.

 

We all gawp at her, as she wipes her eyes.

 

                “She’s sulking in the bathroom helping Michael dry off.  I need, ahem, I need to find out if anyone got a shot of him going in the pool.”

 

                “Oh I do, in fact I got a shot of the entire thing, including the kissing technique advice.”  Emily giggles.

 

                “Emily, what is your beef with Lindz, you’ve been needling her all evening?”  Zee asks.

 

Emily sighs and sits down.

 

                “She made a promise and couldn’t follow through.  She keeps saying it’s not her fault it didn’t work out but she tried her best, but part of me thinks…look okay logically I can’t really blame her but sometimes the way she lords it over me because she has something I don’t…”

 

                “What is it that she promised?”  Faal asks gently.

 

                “To help me have a kid.  I mean it was years ago but it still hurts as that was my one chance.”

 

                “What.  How the hell was she going to do it?”  Mel is flabbergasted.

 

Emily shrugs and starts to weep.  Francine is immediately by her side

 

                “Emily, come on now.  You’ve got a great life with me, Helbert and Fuchsia and you got to see Miss Snooty Knickers completely humiliated because she thinks she’s better than us, well she’s not.  And besides, we can spread that video amongst our friends, who would just love to see it…”

 

Emily hiccups a giggle.

 

                “Sorry guys, it just stabs me in the gut sometimes.   Time for me to take my weepy ass home…oh and Helbert and Fuchsia are our cats.  Maine coons and spoilt rotten.  It really was nice to meet you, goodnight.”

 

We watch in silence as Francine gently steers her to the door and out of the house.

 

                “Well that’s an interesting titbit.”  Faal mutters.

 

                “To say the fucking least!”  Mel grimaces.

 

BATHROOM

 

LINDZ

 

Well on a scale of one to 10 on the absolute mortification and humiliation scale I reckon this evening was about 200!  I am tired and all I want to do is go home and sleep.  Michael has finally passed out and he and I will be having words about his comment about my kissing technique.  I’ll have him know I am brilliant at kissing!

 

I might as well go down and say goodbye to my guests.  Shoulders back, head held high and smile, once I get downstairs it is only the family, Vince, David and Charles there.  I look round in confusion.

 

                “Where is everyone?”  I ask.

 

                “Gone home.”  Brian replies tiredly.  “Which is where we are going.  How did you guys get here by the way?”

 

                “Zee called the service for us, once Matt told her about the kids.  And she’s just calling them now.” 

 

Deb replies starting to get ready to leave.

 

                “Of course she did!  Little Miss Perfect Zee…” 

 

                “Uh Lindz, take a look around the room what do you see?”  Emmy Lou barks.

 

I look round and shrug.

 

                “A kitchen with people sitting in it.  What am I supposed to see?!”

 

                “Shit loads of plates, stemware, cutlery, catering kit…any of that ringing a bell.”

 

                “I don’t know…”

 

                “Of course you fucking don’t!  There’s nothing for you to see because Zee rallied Leda and the kids and got it cleaned up for you.  I’m so mad at you and her right now!”

 

                “Emmy Lou…”  Faal warns.

 

                “Only in a ‘you stole my fun’ way as far as Zee-Zee is concerned. As I wanted to tell you, Lindz, to start washing when you deigned to grace us with your presence!  But since I don’t get to do that I’m telling you here and now, stay away from me for a while okay sweetie!”

 

With that Emmett storms out and upstairs. 

 

                “Ladies and gents the party’s over.  Time for everyone to go home.”  Drew orders.

 

CAR SERVICE – TO BRITIN

 

JUSTIN

 

                “We really need to have the paperwork looked at and quickly.” 

 

Brian nods and looks pensive.

 

                “And we also need to speak to Emily and Francine, find out when this little promise was made and who she had in mind for it.”

 

                “And we have to find a way of getting them together before she goes back to NYC.” 

 

I whisper nodding at Daph and Vince, who are sleeping on opposite ends of the seat but with their feet touching.

 

                “I think Jenny is ahead of you on that score Sunshine.”  He whispers back.

 

CAR SERVICE – TO DEB & CARL’S

 

CARL

 

I want to talk to Red about what I thought I saw in the kitchen, Mel looked gutshot, but Michael’s in the car with us and he is not fooling me with that ‘sleeping’ routine.

 

CAR SERVICE – TO BEN & HUNTER’S

 

BEN

 

                “Well I think that qualifies as one of the best for us, and worse for Lindz, parties ever”

 

                “Yeah it was.  God it was dull at the start and these pants have itched all night!”  Steve gripes.

 

                “Don’t worry I have some soothing balm to apply for you.”  I whisper before kissing him deeply.

 

CAR SERVICE – TO THE BROWNSTONE & JENNIFER’S CONDO

 

GUS

 

Well the rest of New Year’s Day is going to be fun.  They’re not talking to each other and Hunter and Matt have decided to go to the loft for the rest of the weekend.  Great just great.  J and I are hoping we can persuade grandpa that we really need to work on the car!

 

Nana Jen and Tucker are currently making out and mom isn’t amused.

 

CAR SERVICE – TO THE LOFT AND HILTON PLAZA

 

DAVID

 

                “Thanks for letting us share the service with you.  It was an interesting evening to say the least.”

 

                “Interesting, it was fucking epic!  I still say we should’ve won the contest but some audiences have no taste.”  Hunter scoffs

 

I look at this young man and think that Michael is a fool.  Hank is struggling to stay awake on Charles’s shoulder and I am so very grateful I took their advice.

 

                “I’m not sure what was funnier the slow disintegration of the evening, the bugging out of Lindz’s eyes during the contest or Michael going in the pool?”  Charles chortles.

 

We all look at each other.

 

                “Michael in the pool!”  We chorus.

 

CAR SERVICE – TO THE TREEHOUSE

 

FAAL

 

                “So Leda you have some ‘splaining to do!”

 

Leda blushes and chuckles.

 

                “Tomorrow, I will explain tomorrow!  She asleep?”

 

I nod and stroke her face covering her up more with the blanket.

 

                “Another person who has some ‘splaining to do is Debbie.”  I grumble to myself.

 

NEW YEAR’S DAY – EARLY AFTERNOON

 

BRITIN

 

BRIAN

 

Justin crashed out the moment he got to bed, not that I was in any state to have a celebratory welcome 2015 fuck.  The thing with Emily is really bugging me.  I need to speak to my lawyers on Monday, no point doing it now, and I think that we need to keep that bit of information to ourselves.  So will also be calling Faal later. 

 

                “Brian.  Get some sleep, we can’t do anything about it now.”

 

I wrap my arms round my Sunshine and snuggle him under my chin before covering us up with a blanket, the last thing I feel is Lilah curling up behind my head on the pillow, her purrs finally lulling me to sleep.

 

BROWNSTONE – SUNDAY MORNING

 

MEL

 

                “So how are you this morning?”  I warily ask Lindz

 

She looks balefully at me.

 

                “How do you think I feel Mel?!  I was humiliated and it’s all Zee and Emmett’s fault!”

 

                “Why is it their fault that you entered a pissing contest you were ill prepared for?” 

 

                “A piss…how can you say that.”

 

                “Emmett is a caterer, Zee loves to entertain and, please Lindz hear me out, more importantly is a natural chef and organiser.  And I hate to say this Lindz, you are used to having events like this being done for you not doing them.  A baby shower is one thing but that was way out of your league to handle on your own.  Now you need to own this failure and do some major sucking up especially to Emmy Lou, he is really mad at you, and you need to apologise to Zee for almost letting Debs at her.”

 

I get up and head downstairs leaving her to think about things, it won’t make a jot of difference of course since she’s always the wronged person not the person doing wrong. 

 

I put the coffee on and check my messages and try not to laugh out loud as I see the video of Michael falling into the pool after dissing her kissing technique.

 

Gus comes down and looks worriedly at me.

 

                “Is mom okay?  Is she coming down today do you think?”

 

Lindz’s methods of sulking are well known, she either flounces out or sulks dramatically round the house in her peignoir.

 

                “Why you need to talk to her?”

 

                “No…J and I are going to meet up with the guys and then go to grandpa’s lock up to work on the car with him, is that okay?”

 

I nod and he looks so relieved and after bellowing up for J they head out.

 

LINDZ

 

Well if Mel thinks I’m apologising any time soon to them she can forget it.  Besides Emmett told me to stay away from him and that’s what I intend to do.  I can’t believe Leda turned up like that and she knows them, yeah right that’s pure coincidence.

 

And as for Emily, the way she was bitching at me all night was uncalled for, I must email Francine and find out what the problem was, because I haven’t done anything to her! 

 

SHADYSIDE

 

MICHAEL

 

So I took ma’s advice and took Advil before I crashed out yesterday and slept most of the day.  I want to see my Honeybun today as I didn’t get much time to spend with her during the party as she was with her friends, I also want to spend some time with Ben and put this divorce stuff behind us and try again. 

 

My phone is ringing and its Brian’s ringtone, I almost break my neck to reach it.

 

                “Brian!  What a surprise!  How…”

 

                “Brian?  No this is the restorers, we did your Captain Astro statue and our bill is still outstanding.”

 

                “I don’t have the statue anymore so you would have to speak to someone at Kinn…actually you need to speak to Zaden Stark, who bought the statue from me, she is…”

 

                “No, we need to speak to you since it was you that instructed us.  The bill needs to be settled by tomorrow or we’ll serve papers.”

 

                “Wait!  There’s no need to do that I can pay now, how much is it?”

 

                “$2,900.”

 

                “What, I was quoted $2,500 the last time…”

 

                “Yes but you delaying payment has caused interest to build.  So can I take the card details?”

 

I give him the information and hang up fuming.  I pull out my admin files and as I do so a bank book falls out, I had forgotten all about that!  I still have the bonds that I invested with Hank, time to cash them in I think, I will go to a brokers tomorrow or speak to Ted, yeah I will speak to Ted just so that I can rub it in!  Hah suck on that David, they must be worth something after all this time.

 

I head to the shower and feel a lot better about 2015!  When I get out of the shower I call Honeybun, but she’s out with her friends so decide just to head to Ben instead, but when I call the house phone, it says that the number is no longer in service…what the fuck is that about?

 

TREEHOUSE

 

KITCHEN

 

FAAL

 

                “But liefling…”

 

                “She apologised, she meant it sincerely, she promised never to do it again, leave it be.”  Zee is firm.

 

I huff a reluctant agreement.

 

                “But if she does it again…”

 

                “Have at her, if there’s anything left when I’m done.  Deal?”

 

We seal it with a kiss only to be interrupted by Leda coughing behind us.

 

                “Morning Leda.  Breakfast yes?”  I ask and she nods sliding on the stool.

 

                “So where do you want to start missie!”  Zee teases her.

 

Leda smiles and shakes her head. 

 

                “Not gonna give up huh?”

 

                “Nope.  So she’s that Mel?  Wow…sorry continue!”  I shut up under Zee’s glare.

 

                “So after we split.  I lived pretty much the way I wanted my life to be, doing what I wanted, who I wanted, when I wanted, but then I got the itch for my girl.  So headed to the Pitts to find out that she’s settled, has a kid, a wife and was drowning in boredom!  Long story short, they wanted to renovate their loft, they tried to do it themselves but fucked it up big time.  I sorted it, we got into a threeway, but I misread the signals and was gone.  By the time I came back to the Pitts again they were in Toronto so I just let it be until Friday night…”

 

Zee and I are staring at her in surprise.

 

                “Threeway?  You, Mel and…”

 

                “Lindsay yep.”

 

I barely suppress the shudder and Zee winces.

 

                “So what you going to do now?”  I ask her.

 

                “Nothing, she’s got her life with Lindz and the kids, can’t believe how beautiful Jenny is.   Luckily it seems she only inherited his eyes!  So I’m not going to interfere with that.”

 

                “How did you know about the party?”  Zee’s looking thoughtful.

 

                “Oh Emmett called me to say he was catering an event for…actually come to think of it how the hell did he get my number and how did he know I was going to be in town?”

 

                “Emmett called you?”  I repeat starting to smile as she nods looking confused.

 

                “Pure luck you think?”  I ask Zee and she shakes her head.

 

                “I think someone else has some ‘splaining to do too.”  Zee chuckles.

 

                “Emmy Lou.  How are you?  Fancy coming over for lunch?  Great, and bring your fellow conspirators with you…ah-ah-ah Emmy Lou just bring them, say for one, see you then.”

 

BOYD HONEYCUTT HOUSE

 

DREW

 

                “Ems baby, you don’t know that they are going to cancel the partnership, did he sound mad?”

 

                “He didn’t sound too mad but he didn’t sound happy!  What am I going to do?!”

 

He’s wringing his hands and pacing.

 

                “You’re going to do as he asks and face the music, let me know what happens okay.  Be brave my southern belle, be brave.” 

 

I kiss him gently on the lips and shake my head at the pair of them and their worried faces, they got themselves into this mess, however well-intentioned so they can get themselves out of it.

 

EMS

 

                “Girls we’ve been summoned.”  I babble.  “Lunch for one at the Treehouse.”

 

MITCHELL

 

                “Master Emmett, maybe if I say I did it all of it not just my part…”

 

                “No you will do no such thing, this was my idea so let’s face the firing squad together.”

 

TREEHOUSE

 

FAAL

 

I’m dying to see who else was on this venture but Leda said we should wait in the lounge and she would let them in, ah there’s the door.  I can hear Emmy Lou saying that it’s all his fault and telling whoever is with him to just let him speak.  As the door to the lounge swings open we are faced with, Emmy Lou, Daph, Jennifer and Mitchell.

 

                “Please sit.”

 

                “Now Faal if…”

 

                “No Emmett let me speak…”

 

                “He called me Emmett.”  He whimpers sadly and starts to cry.

 

                “So let me understand this correctly, you four conspired to ruin Lindz’s night through sabotage and fortuitous circumstances to what end, to avenge some slight that wasn’t directed at you, but at my wife.  Who is more than capable of defending herself, and if she can’t then I will do that.  This is my job as her husband, best friend and lover and…”

 

I pause and look at all four of them

 

                “For you to invade my privacy to take Leda’s number was bad.  But ingenious and we love you all for doing what you did.  She deserved every minute of it, especially the pool!”

 

At first there was nothing but then Jennifer smiled, then Daph started to giggle and Emmy Lou flings his arms round my neck before Zee smacks his ass and pulls him into her embrace mumbling her thanks.

 

                “That she did Master Faal.  I shall return to the residence Master Emmett, shall I inform Master Drew or will you?”

 

                “You can Mitchell see you later!”

 

                “So Emmy Lou…bubbles!”  Daph cries heading to the kitchen.

 

                “Who else knows about this?”  Leda asks after they tell her about the menu switch.

 

                “Brian and Justin.  Maybe we should invite them to the Lindsay Saboteurs Lunch as well?” 

 

Jennifer chuckles wipes her eyes, Zee nods and goes to make the call.

 

                “They’re coming, said they’ll be here by two.” 

 

                “Seriously, you’re not going to cancel the partnership are you?”  He looks so worried.

 

                “Absolutely not!”  Zee snorts.

 

This leads to a fresh round of tears.

 

THE LOFT

 

MATT

 

                “Hunter, what exactly are you doing?”

 

He’s been on his laptop most of the day since we woke up.

 

                “Huh?  Oh I’m trying to splice the videos together from the party…Daph sent the ones she took upstairs.  Dad sent me the ones of the karaoke and I got the one of the pool and various others, and here’s one of…oh my God check the background…”

 

                “Yeah we need to have a word with your little sister.”  I gasp.

 

BEN & HUNTER’S HOUSE

 

MICHAEL

 

I am going to keep leaning on the bell until he fucking answers me.  His phone is rolling to voicemail as well. 

 

                “Ben!  Ben come and answer this fucking door!”

 

                “Michael!  What the hell?”  Eli shouts coming across the road.

 

                “I’m trying to get hold of Ben!  He’s not answering the door!”

 

                “Maybe that’s because he’s not in.  I saw him leaving earlier with Steve and Taylor.  Now if you wouldn’t mind taking this drama elsewhere.”

 

                “I’m not leaving until I see him!  And this is none of your concern Eli!”

 

Eli rolls his eyes at me and heads back into his house. 

 

CARL’S LOCK UP

 

BEN

 

                “Hey Eli…oh you are kidding me!  Thanks for the heads up.  Yeah see you.”

 

                “Let me guess, Michael?”  Carl mumbles mindful of Jenny. 

 

                “Apparently he’s camped outside having been leaning on the bell and yelling.  What am I going to do Carl, he won’t sign the papers but he won’t leave me alone either.  You know that according to Lindz he wants to get back with me.”

 

                “You wouldn’t though would you?”  Carl looks worried.

 

                “Oh no absolutely not, even if Steve and I don’t work out I couldn’t do that to myself or Hunter again.”

 

                “You don’t necessary have to have a signature to divorce you know?  Just file the petition and if he doesn’t comply let the courts handle it, you’ve been too nice over this Ben.  Well that’s just my opinion anyway.”

 

        “You think I’ve been too nice?”  I am astounded.

 

        “Yep, after all he’s done you still want to do it the right way, well fuck him I say…”

 

        “First thing tomorrow morning, I will file first thing tomorrow.  Right let’s get this car built.”

 

BROWNSTONE

 

LINDZ

 

I suppose I should get up and see what’s happening, I find Mel in the lounge reading through her case files.

 

                “Where are the kids?” 

 

                “Gone to grandpa’s lock up to work on the car.”  She replies without looking up.

 

                “I see.  What’s the plan for today then?”

 

                “I’m going to read my case files and…”

 

                “Did you invite her?”

 

                “Who?”

 

                “Leda of course!  Or should I say Le-le!”

 

She sighs and closes the file she’s reading.

 

                “No Lindz, I didn’t invite her.  As she said, she’s here for friends, which turned out to be Zee and Faal.”

 

                “Hmm.”

 

                “And since we’re on party questions, what is going on between you and Emily?”

 

                “I’m not sure to be honest.  She’s blown hot and cold with me for years, but she was particularly vicious and it was unprovoked.”

 

                “You can’t think of anything that would cause such animosity?”

 

                “No all I did when they came down was introduce her to Gus and Jenny and the rest of the family, who she hadn’t met.”

 

MEL

 

There is just something in the way she said it, it was a little flash of something.  Brian called earlier and said to keep what Emily said between us for now but he does want me to be available for the meeting with Joshua to go over the paperwork with a fine toothcomb

 

BEN & HUNTER’S

 

MICHAEL

 

It’s getting quite cold now, I hope he won’t be much longer I’m getting hungry.

 

STEVE’S HOUSE

 

BEN

 

                “Do you think I’ve been too nice to Michael over the divorce?”

 

                “Honestly, yes I do.  But that’s just your nature you’re a fair man.  What made you ask?”

 

                “Carl said that about me, so I’m going to get my petition filed and say fuck him!”

 

                “Good!  Now come on we have trash TV to watch!”

 

MONDAY MORNING

 

MICHAEL

 

I spent about 2 hours waiting for Ben before finally coming home.  I was cold, hungry and pissed off! 

 

However, I am on my way to the diner for breakfast before, maybe, going to see Honeybun.  Oh isn’t that just perfect, David is here with Charles and their brat Hank.

 

                “Good morning Ted, David, Charles and Hank.  How are you on this fine morning?”

 

They all look puzzled, good let them worry.

 

                “Hi mother, please may I have a coffee to go?”

 

                “Uh Michael are you okay, sure you don’t have some water sloshing around in there?”

 

I roll my eyes and smile and then even better, Ben comes in and waits by the counter.

 

                “Here you go Michael.”  Ma hands me the coffee still with a puzzled expression.

 

                “What’s got you so chipper?”  She finally asks.

 

                “Nothing just feeling good today.”

 

                “Michael whilst you’re here I just thought I would let you know that…”  Ben begins.

 

“Sorry Ben, I haven’t got time for you right now.  I will be in touch, have an appointment with my brokers this week.  See you later boys.”

 

I crow and head out smiling.

 

HANK

 

                “Dad you don’t think?  Seriously he’s wouldn’t go to someone official and…”

 

                “Yeah, yeah he really would.”  Dad says dryly

 

                “That’s what the internet is for, you know to save you from embarrassment!”  I giggle

 

                “You’ve met Michael right?”  Charles replies.

 

I look at dad worriedly, thinking how he was with the money that dad gave him.  Charles pats my hand reassuringly.

 

                “You will be fine.  Don’t worry.  And if he tries to do anything he has to come through me.”

 

DEB

 

I have a feeling that my son is about to make an idiot of himself.  Whipping out my phone, I put in a call.

 

                “Michael whatever it is you are going to do, don’t do it!”  I warn him

 

                “Mother, you don’t know anything about the stock markets, I have more experience than you.  So thank you for your advice but it’s not needed.”

 

He hangs up and I look across at Ben.

 

                “What did he say?”  He asks.

 

                “He has more experience in the stock market than me and so my advice is not needed.”

 

                “You tried.”  He reassures me

 

Despite myself I start to find myself smiling and before long we are roaring with laughter.

 

                “So what can I get you Ben?”

 

                “Well since it is going to be a bad news week for Michael, can you let him know that I have filed my petition for the divorce?  I don’t need his signature on the papers, his unreasonable behaviour will count in my favour.”

 

Whilst I’m sorry that it has come to this, he has brought it on himself. 

 

KINNETIC

 

BRIAN’S OFFICE – TUESDAY LATE AFTERNOON

 

BRIAN

 

                “Oh my God!  Mmm!  Yes!  Oh!”

 

I am writhing on my desk chair grabbing the headrest, the armrests, his hair…anything…frantically and jerking my hips into Justin’s warm mouth and feel him humming.  He slicks his fingers and slides one then a second one into my hole and I almost hit the ceiling. 

 

                “Fuck!  Yes.  Right.  Right there!  Harder.  Faster please baby faster!” 

 

I can feel the tingle in the base of my spine and Justin rutting against my leg.

 

                “Gonna come baby gonna come!” 

 

My back bows, I explode into his mouth and my eyes roll back in my head.  I feel him shuddering against my leg and I know he’s come hard too.  I sink back into my chair and grin down at him.

 

                “That was amazing!”  I pant.

 

He’s looking a little dazed and still trembling slightly so I wait for him to regain his composure.  After putting myself back in my pants I helping him to his feet.

 

                “You okay baby?”

 

He nods and grins at me before pulling me down for a kiss and I can taste myself mixed with the coffee he had just before he swallowed me down.   I deepen the kiss until we’re moaning and grinding against each other and I slip my hands into his cargos.  I walk him backwards to the couch and lay on top of him, rutting gently until he starts to whimper.  I feel his legs start to wrap round my waist and his fingers tighten in my hair, before he shudders again and moans into my mouth. 

 

We are jolted out of our post orgasmic glow by the buzzing of the intercom.

 

                “Sorry Mr Kinney, but there is a Michael Novotny here to see you he’s most insistent!”

 

I groan and peel myself off him.

 

                “I cannot wait for Bethany to come back from holiday.  She can handle the fucker almost as good as Cynthia.”

 

Leaving him to recover on the sofa, I sort myself out and buzz Ted.

 

                “Michael’s in reception.”

 

                “Be there in two minutes.”

 

                “Thanks Ted, take him to a conference room and give me another two minutes.”

 

                “Okay.”

 

TED

 

I head to reception where Michael is pacing and flicking disdainful looks at Roger.  Poor Charlotte, Bethany’s temporary replacement, is looking mortified.

 

                “Charlotte is conference room 2 available?  Good can you let Brian know that’s where we are?   And run the usual facilities?  Thanks.  No, don’t worry you’ve done nothing wrong, it’s just some people have no manners.  Michael with me.”

 

When we get inside I gesture for him to sit.

 

                “I would rather stand.  Where is Brian?”  He drawls smugly.

 

This is a new side to Michael, wonder what he’s up to.  Just as I was musing this Brian comes in and sighs.

 

                “Well?”  Brian drawls.

 

                “I want buy back my store.”

 

                “You want to do what?”  I gape at him.

 

                “I want to buy back my store.”

 

Brian and I look at each other.

 

                “And how do you intend to do that?  Where would you raise the capital from?” 

 

                “I have some stocks that I can liquidate and with the remaining money I have left from your loan I will easily be able to cover the $40K you say it was valued at.”

 

He walks round the table trailing his fingers.

 

                “What do you say Brian, you don’t want the store really…”

 

Out of the corner of my eye, I can see Brian clenching hard onto the table.  Michael decides to sit and rests his feet on the table.

 

                “Ahem, Michael, if you had stocks to liquidate then not use them instead of coming to us for the money in the first place?”

 

He shrugs and smiles that weird ass smile he got at the engagement party dinner.

 

                “I had forgotten about them, and just recently found the certificates.  I have run the numbers and it’s doable from my end.”

 

                “And which stock is that?”

 

 I ask hoping against hope that it is who I think it is and he’s not just got fucking lucky on us.

 

                “A little government bond called TalonMotor invested it years ago.  I’m going to my brokers today…”

 

                “Have you looked up TalonMotor government bonds?  And what numbers have you run?”

 

                “Michael.  You do realise that…”  Brian begins

 

                “Teddy, Teddy, Teddy, yes to the first question and my numbers my business.” 

 

Michael talks over him, he bridges his fingers and looks over at us quirking his eyebrow, I think he’s trying for the Blofeld look…it’s not working as he looks like he has a twitch

 

                “Okay Michael, you raise the capital then you can have the store back at market value, including inventory…”  Brian replies.

 

                “Pleasure doing business with you gentlemen.  It will be good to have the store back in the hands of its rightful owner.”

 

                “I will pass your details to the current owner and they will get in touch with you.”  I tell him

 

Michael’s sauntering is stopped cold.

 

                “Current owner?  What current owner?”

 

                “Well like you said, we don’t want a comic book store so we sold it, Kinnetic retain a 20% stake but we sold it.  Don’t worry the money has been put in Jenny’s college fund, though the new owner did insist that Hunter gets a share too.”

 

Brian is enjoying every minute of this and to be honest so am I, I have always hated the way he was treated but he wanted to bite back himself and payback is a bitch!

 

                “I never knew he had an interest in it, so when he approached us and wanted to buy it, we couldn’t refuse.”

 

Brian opens the door

 

                “And who is the current owner?”  Michael demands.

 

                “Blake.  Blake Wyzecki.”

 

BROWNSTONE – WEDNESDAY MID AFTERNOON

 

MEL

 

I am so excited!  I know I shouldn’t be but this is Gucci and Prada and Louboutin and Manolo!  And even better Daphne is coming with me.  She was supposed to go home at the weekend but she managed to get another week off. 

 

                “What are you up to today?”  Lindz comes into the kitchen

 

                “I told you I have my fittings today.”

 

                “Oh yes, I wish I was the same size as you.”  She sighs wistfully

 

                “Ahh well people come in all shapes and sizes, which is what makes us individual.” 

 

I know her game and she’s not getting a single thread not a single heel tip.

 

                “I’m going to be going to galleries today, I would love a new suit.”  She tries again.

 

I hear a horn beep.

 

                “Well, why don’t you go shopping, the kids will be fine.  See you later.”

 

I kiss her on the cheek and am gone, it took everything not to cave but I know if it were the other way round, I wouldn’t get a stitch.  As I come outside I am astonished to find a stretch Humvee waiting for me.  Lindz gasps as she comes up behind me.

 

                “Well Brian has certainly gone all out for you.”  She simpers.  “But no matter, he said that my present is still being made, I wonder what it is?  Enjoy your shopping.” 

 

Despite her attempt at jollity I can tell she’s seriously fucked off.  Good.  I get inside and am astonished to find not just Daph, but Jennifer, Emmy Lou and Zee inside. 

 

                “What are you guys doing here?!”  I think I almost squealed as I hugged them all.

 

Emmy Lou hands me a glass of champagne.

 

                “Hello shopping queens here!  We have to get wedding outfits sorted out for the rehearsal dinner, the bachelor parties, the wedding itself and Jennifer is representing Brian and Justin and feeding back our choices and since Daph is here we take advantage to get her fitted too!  So the rest of the wedding party is going to feed off our choices and we go from there isn’t this exciting!”

 

I sip my champagne and smile.

 

                “She tried didn’t she?”  Jennifer asks.

 

                “Oh I wish I was the same size as you.  I’m going to galleries and I would love a new suit.  The thing is I almost caved…”

 

                “Only an idiot would give up Gucci, Prada, Louboutin or Manolo to the undeserving!  And you are not an idiot, well not anymore anyway.”  Emmy Lou snorts.

 

                “So how was Sunday?  You know she asked if I invited Leda.”

 

Emmy Lou snorts into his glass and suddenly everyone was finding something interesting outside and Zee was grinning.

 

                “Oh fuck what did you do?”  I demand.

 

                “Don’t look at me, I had nothing to do with it!”  Zee holds up her hands.

 

By the time we hit the stores my sides ache and they promise to invite me to the next LSL, which I suspect will grow in members as time goes by. 

 

Once inside we are taken to the private fitting area, where more champagne is given and the first suit is pooh-poohed as being too frumpy, by everyone, turns out that the sales representative was mouthing no at them furiously.  I wanted pant suits and structure, in the end I was told to sit down and let them handle it.

 

Five hours later we were happily shopped out.  Brian had only vetoed three outfits for the wedding party and two pairs of shoes for Emmy Lou, but he got the shoes back in after promising on video not to wear them to any part of the wedding including the bachelor parties.

 

                “Hey you are really quiet, you okay?”  I ask Zee.

 

                “Yeah fine, well no actually I’m not.  I’m worrying about something, nothing physical it’s just I’m not sure about it and I want a second opinion but not Emmy because God love the man but he can’t keep a secret to save his life and I know he will tell…”

 

                “Zee.  What is it?”

 

Sighing she takes out her phone and shows me a picture of a glass.  It is a champagne coupe but not as we know it, the stem is silver twisted branches, the cup is wider and in seagreen and sapphire swirls at the base intertwined before swirling up to gold to the top of the cup.  She shows me another picture of the inside of the cup, where she has etched “It was love to me” on one side and “I will do anything” on the other.

 

                “These are just their glasses.  The others will be the same but without…”

 

                “Oh my God!”  Jennifer sighs. 

 

We are startled as we hadn’t noticed her come up beside us.

 

                “Zee it’s, it’s…”

 

                “Passed the mom test.”  I whisper.

 

She grins happily. 

 

                “Shit, I’ve just thought where the hell am I going to put everything?”  I gasp.

 

                “Basement.”  Zee replies after instructing the driver to our new destination.

 

We all look at her in surprise.

 

                “Faal is more of a label queen than Brian so we have wardrobes in the basement for all his clothes, okay some of mine but mostly his.  So stick them in there.  He took to putting his best clothes down there to save them from the wandering hands of Matt.  Wardrobes come with codes.  Like I said label queen.”

 

The car pulls up and I am surprised to find us outside Avenue B.

 

                “What are we doing here?”

 

Zee grins at me and pulls me inside.

 

                “Wedding party duties.  We need to test places for rehearsal dinner and since Daph goes on Saturday, sniffle, one of the places on their list is this place.”

 

                “Ah but I’m not in the wedding party…”

 

                “Neither is Vince or Leda…”  She winks at me.

 

She gives the hostess our reservation name and we head to the table.  Where we find Brian, Justin, Faal, Hunter, Gus, Ted, Jenny, Ben, Leda and Vince waiting for us.

 

                “Hi mom.  Now Uncle Brian says I’m in charge of seating and since we are going to be talking about wedding stuff, you can sit with Aunt Leda, Aunt Daph and Uncle Vince at that table and we can sit at this table. Okay?”

 

I have to hide my smirk at Jenny’s obvious matchmaking attempts with Daph and Vince but since they seem to like each other anyway I just sit down and enjoy the rest of our evening, we end up joining the tables together and then watching a waving dick contest between Faal and Brian as to who is settling the bill.  An argument swiftly settled by Zee whispering something in Faal’s ear that gets him to concede quickly.

 

As we head to the car, I hear Justin ask what she said to Faal, she whispers in his ear and I don’t think I have ever seen Justin go so red.