- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This is a bit of a biggie so it's long.

CHAPTER 16 – THE SHOW, FAMILY SURPRISE, THE DATE, THE GAME & BRIAN GETS MESSY!

 

SHADYSIDE – WEDNESDAY MORNING

 

MICHAEL

 

Well they didn’t waste any fucking time sending that letter?  How the fuck do they work out that I owe them $22,400 there had better be an appeals process!

 

And I can’t believe that Ben divorced me just like that.  Well he and I are going to have words about it, there is no way I’m paying for his fucking freedom!

 

                “Ben its Michael, well congratulations on your freedom!  You can now fuck your stud muffin free and clear but make no mistake I’m not paying for it!”

 

I sink down on the sofa and ponder how my life ended up like this, why am I so unlucky.  And on top of that Mel has made it clear that she is backing Jenny in continuing with roller derby.  I’m brought out of my funk by my phone ringing its Ben, I put him on speaker.

 

                “Benjamin the free man to fuck he wants Bruckner what can I do for you?”

 

                “I got your message.  Duly noted…”

 

And then his phone cuts out.  What the fuck?  Duly noted what does that mean?  I call him back and he picks up and again I put him on speaker.

 

                “Went through a tunnel as I was saying…”

 

                “I’m not sure what you mean by duly noted Ben but you do realise that now we are divorced that you don’t get to play an active part in Jenny’s life…”

 

                “You don’t get to decide that Michael, this is down to Mel and…”

 

                “I still have my rights as her father and I get to decide who is in her life!”

 

                “You can decide that if you wish and alienate your daughter in the process and of course you will have to pay all her support costs.  But whatever happens Jenny will never be out of my life, she’s promised me that and she never breaks her promises.  Oh and before you go running to her with your version of events she’s aware about the divorce as I’ve answered any questions she’s had.  Now I suggest you take this time to reflect on your past actions and consider your future ones.  I don’t want post-divorce ugliness.”

 

                “You started this Ben!  There would be no ugliness as you put it if you hadn’t started proceedings…”

 

                “Hang on let me pull over.”

 

I hear his engine cut out and him take a deep breath.

 

                “There would be no divorce if you hadn’t had borrowed the money from Brian and Justin against my wishes, loved me less than Brian, lied to me about you paying it back as well, treated Hunter like shit, tried to interfere in Brian and Justin’s relationship from the very start and behaved like a two year old whenever you don’t get your way.”

 

                “Well you weren’t exactly fucking perfect!”  I snarl.

 

                “Okay, let’s have it then.  What great disservice did I do to you during our relationship, name one thing that I did wrong?!”

 

                “You put Hunter first!”

 

                “Oh come on Michael, that’s bullshit and you know it.  You were jealous of the time that Hunter and I spent and spend together, but that again was on you because you didn’t try!  So what else?!”

 

I’m quiet whilst I think and it isn’t until a few minutes later I realise he’s hung up.

 

BRITIN

 

JUSTIN

 

My mouth is currently wrapped round the only cock in the world I love.  And the owner of said cock is promising me anything as long as I don’t stop.  I’ve been a brat and a bitch to be around for the last few days and I need to make it up to him.  I had called Daph to check her flight arrival and ended up telling her about how stressed I’ve been and how Brian is getting an itchy hand and she told me what Zee told her in the car.

 

                “Unh!  Oh baby don’t stop, don’t stop.  Mmm!”

 

He’s currently almost in a u-shape and grabbing at air, and as I swirl my tongue into the slit, he yells out

 

                “Ní gá leanbh stop nach stopann riamh!”

 

Apart from the word ‘stop’ I have no idea what he just said but it sounds like he wants me to continue.

 

                “Turn over and get on your knees.” 

 

I murmur kissing a trail up his stomach and sucking on each nipple.  He arches his back again and pulls at my hair to get me to look at him.

 

                “But…”  He pants.  “Why’d...”

 

                “Please?”

 

Ten minutes later having repeated the actions that I did on his dick on his ass, he shoots across the bed with a scream and collapses shaking, his cock is twitching and then he’s still.  After about five minutes he’s not moved so I shake him gently and still nothing and then I realise he’s fainted!

 

I sit there in stunned silence and look at his passed out form before getting up and doing a happy dance.  I clean him up as gently as I could and cover him with a duvet and head to my studio.

 

I’m working on my speech when the door opens; he comes in and drops on the futon next to me.

 

                “So…”  His voice is a little croaky so I get some water.

 

                “Mind telling me where the hell you learned to do that?”

 

                “Zee told Daph and Daph told me…shit it’s a secret so don’t share.  Let’s go back to bed.”

 

                “In a minute, it took everything for me to get here without falling over or crawling.”

 

                “That good?” 

 

                “I fainted, what do you think?” 

 

                “Oh what did you say?”

 

                “Hmm?”

 

                “You said something just before I got you to turn over, something like ‘Ní gá leanbh…’ and I can’t remember the rest.”

 

                “Oh that’s Gaelic, I was begging you not to stop.  Okay I think I can walk a bit better now.  Come on Master of the Tongue Universe, I need sleep!”

 

ROLLER DERBY TRACK – THURSDAY EARLY EVENING

 

JENNY

 

We’ve got a game plan.  I’m fairly confident that we can win this, as long as our pivots and blockers do their thing I should be fine.  Though Mary Jane is my friend when it comes to Sunday its all-out war!  Uncle Drew has been coming to the practices and giving us ideas about how to approach this with a footballing mindset, I don’t think I have ever seen Miss Leach, our coach, look so star struck.

 

Finally, it’s the end of practice and we head to the car.  Unfortunately, mom couldn’t come to practice as she was stuck in court but I have just called her to say we are on our way home.

 

                “Uncle Drew, do you think we can win this?”

 

                “Yep I do think you can.  I’m so looking forward to the game.  Okay we’re here sweetie, get plenty of rest on Saturday night you understand?”

 

                “Yes Uncle Drew, I will and thanks for coming today.”

 

                “Any time.”

 

BROWNSTONE

 

MEL

 

                “Hi baby, how was practice?  You hungry?  I’m not in the mood to cook so it’s take out but best wait for momma to come home, which should be soon.”

 

                “Hey J, how was it, do you think you can win it?”  Gus asks

 

                “Yeah it was good.  Where’s Hunter and Matt?  Hi momma.”

 

                “Hi everyone, what a long day it has been.  What’s for dinner?”

 

                “Take out, we’re just checking where…”

 

                “Take out?  Can’t you cook something healthy?”  She moans.

 

                “I could except I have just got in myself and like you am tired…”

 

Before it could escalate into yet another row, Matt comes in with a large take-out bag.

 

                “What’s this?”  I ask.

 

                “We were on Penn Avenue and decided to try Trams Kitchen, so thought we would do dinner.  That okay with you guys?”

 

I’ve never been so happy in my life! 

 

To say that we’ve had a long and tough week is an understatement.  I’ve had two cases that have had to go back to court, we narrowly avoided a mistrial on one.  Lindz has been bitching all week about having to do her actual job whilst mentoring the whelp as she’s taken to calling Martine.  She’s still trying to persuade Jenny to drop out of roller derby and that’s causing friction.   We’ve had Michael moaning about his audit.

 

And of course, then there’s the divorce.  Turns out that Ben owes Debs big, he had asked her to pass a message about the petition being submitted and she didn’t.  She confided in me that she did it deliberately as she knew he would continue to delay the divorce, I promised to keep it a secret after saying I would’ve done exactly the same thing.

 

He pulls out some food before heading to the front door.

 

                “Uh Matt where are you going?”  Lindz asks.

 

                “To the loft, Hunter wants to practice some more.  See you.”

 

                “I could’ve helped Hunter with his speech.”  Lindz grouses whilst taking some food.

 

                “Uh mom, maybe he wants to do this by himself.”  Gus offers

 

                “He needs all the help he can get after all he…”

 

                “What’s that supposed to mean?”  Gus is straight in to defend his best friend.

 

                “Nothing at all lambskin, I just mean he doesn’t have the artistic background that I have so I could help him…”

 

                “Nice save.”  He mutters before taking his plate to his room.

 

                “Gus wait up!”  Jenny calls and scurries after him.

 

                “What on earth was that about?”  She demands.

 

                “You figure it out Lindsay, I’m going to sit down.”

 

TREEHOUSE – FRIDAY LATE AFTERNOON

 

FAAL

 

                “Is there anything at all I can help you with?”

 

Zee and Emmy Lou exchange glances.

 

                “I can even whistle whilst carrying the trays.”

 

                “No thank you geliefde, you go do some work in the office.”

 

I give them both a kiss goodbye and head back to the office and haven’t even taken my seat when she sends me a text…back kitchen second shelf behind the eggs, love you…I was there within five seconds.

 

FOOD TRUCK

 

ZEE

 

                “So where’d you leave Drew’s?”

 

                “Lower kitchen.”

 

                “We’re pathetic you know that right?”

 

                “Not pathetic we just love our men.”

 

We giggle and then fall silent.

 

                “Don’t even go there Miss Doubt, it is going to be fine, more than fine it will be fabulous.”

 

UPTOWN GALLERY

 

LYDIA

 

Justin will be here soon with his pictures.  I still can’t believe that that wee man Hunter has pulled this together.  Now all I need to do is pull out his damn confidence and let everyone see how great a curator he can be.  He’s so nervous bless him.  Right time to shut up shop, put up the curtains and prep for the show.

 

BLOOM GALLERY

 

LINDZ

 

                “Uh Martine, what will you be doing this evening?  I…”

 

                “Going to the Justin Taylor Showing, I can’t wait, I’ve always admired his work.  Why was there something you needed me to do?”

 

                “Oh no, nothing just making conversation.  Actually, I’m a bit hungry I’m going to grab something to eat won’t be long.”

 

I head outside the cold air cooling my temper a bit, of course she’s going to the showing!  As I head to the diner, I see that people are coming out of the Uptown Gallery, I stop one of them.

 

                “Is there a problem?  Why are they closing?” 

 

                “Oh they are setting up for the show tonight.  The Justin Taylor Showing, have you heard of him?”

 

                “Yes, yes I have.  Thank you.”

 

Once I get to the diner I’m relieved that Debs is not about.  I don’t think I could listen to another barrage of Sunshine this and Sunshine that. 

 

                “Hey Lindsay what will it be?”  Kiki asks.

 

                “Oh a coffee and a BLT please.  Thanks Kiki.”

 

                “Coming right up.”

 

                “Hi Lindz.” 

 

I’m startled out of my daydreaming by the arrival of Michael.

 

                “Hi Michael how are you?”

 

He sighs dramatically and rolls his eyes. 

 

                “Okay I guess, you?”

 

                “The same.  Don’t suppose you’ll be going to the showing tonight for Justin?”

 

He scowls and vehemently shakes his head.

 

                “Absolutely not, why would I?  It’s…”

 

                “Oh of course you don’t know.  Hunter’s co-hosting it.”

 

                “What?  Why on earth would they let him do that?  Does he even know about art?”

 

                “My thoughts exactly, I wanted to help him but no he wants to do it all by himself, I just hope he doesn’t embarrass himself or anyone else for that matter.”

 

                “Actually I might go just for the laughs.”

 

I know I shouldn’t giggle but I do and for the first time in a while Michael smiles.  I have to change my order to go when I look at the time.

 

                “Seriously, are you going?  I’ve got an event at the Bloom Gallery tonight so I can’t.  Jenny will be there and of course it will give you an opportunity to talk to Brian as Justin will be too busy showing off his talent to do anything to stop you…”

 

He smiles wider at that but then his face falls.

 

                “I don’t have a ticket and Boy Wonder won’t exactly put me on the list.”

 

                “I have some sway, let me see what I can do.  Oh it will be jacket and tie.  I’ll call you.”

 

We head out and go in our different directions.

 

KIKI

 

I’m frozen to the spot in fury.  How dare they speak of Hunter that way?  He’s come a long way…ooh I could just scratch their eyes out, but no I have a better idea…you’re not the only one with sway girlie, not by a long way.

 

UPTOWN GALLERY

 

LYDIA

 

                “Okay one more time and try not to look down at the floor so much.  Ah wait, here’s an idea, excluding Matt who makes you feel good about yourself?  Okay so use your dad, keep him in your eye line at all times, think of him as a security blanket, don’t stare at him just give him a quick look so that it centres you and remember to breathe and think before you answer a question.  I will be there for you but only for pointers and stuff you really can’t answer, you brought Justin Taylor here, you bring him home.  So to speak.”

 

He gives me a nervous smile and goes through his descriptions of the pictures again, this time using Justin as his marker and he’s much better.

 

BLOOM GALLERY

 

MARTINE

 

                “Yes Mr Bloom…”  I reply to him calling my name.

 

                “Now Martine we have discussed this already, please call me Sydney.  Do you know where Lyndsay is?”

 

                “She went to get something to eat.  Oh she’s back.”

 

He goes over to her and they chat about something, not sure what and I care even less.  She’s not a very nice person but at least she’s not treating me like trash anymore, not sure why.  I can’t wait for the show tonight.

 

                “Uptown Gallery how may I help you?  Oh that’s a shame but we still have places, of course, I can do that for you, who are they?”

 

They have stopped talking now and I head to Sydney.

 

                “Um Sydney, Miss K Saunders called she’s had to cancel but wants to put some friends on the list and I said it would be fine is that okay?”

 

                “Of course, I had been expecting her call.”

 

I love living near Liberty Avenue.

 

LINDZ

 

Sydney and I are going over the plans for the showing tonight.  Thanks to Sydney, I’ve managed to get Michael on the list for Justin’s showing and have let him know.  Mel and the kids are coming in here first tonight before they head over.  I couldn’t persuade Sydney to close without me, he seems determined to keep me away from it.

 

SYDNEY

 

I like Hunter, I have heard nothing but good things about him from Lydia, there’s no way she’s ruining his night. 

 

FOOD TRUCK

 

ZEE

 

                “Is it normal to feel nauseous?” 

 

                “Yep.”

 

                “Okay I’ve decided as well as our usual kit we must have a hip flask constantly full…in fact one each that way…”

 

                “Zaden Zion Ugerstacht!  Stop this immediately!”

 

                “Someone has been talking to Faal I see.  Sorry Emmy Lou but it’s my first one and I don’t want to fuck it up.”

 

                “Yes I have and no you won’t, you’ve got me okay.  Now let’s get the waiters in position, I always like to do a run through.”

 

BROWNSTONE – EARLY EVENING

 

WALK IN

 

JENNY

 

                “Mom are you absolutely sure you mean this dress…this beautiful dress here on the rack…which is Prada, you mean it seriously?”

 

                “Yes now come on get said dress on we have to be at Bloom and then make our way across to Uptown.  Gus how close are you to being ready and by ready I mean have you done your tie?!”

 

Gus pokes his head round the corner.

 

                “I’m done.”

 

                “Uh huh, I would like to see the rest of you...”

 

Reluctantly, he comes in the room with one of the worst tied ties known to man.

 

                “Text your father and give him a heads up…now come on both of you, we need to be out of here in 20 minutes.”

 

TREEHOUSE

 

FAAL

 

                “Hey lig, how’s it going…oh he used your full name did he, did it work, well then that’s all that matters.  I’m leaving in about 30 minutes, are you going to leave the truck there afterwards?  Good, you will be fine my love, just fine.  Look I’ve got to go someone’s at the door.  See you later, love you.”

 

I head to the door and gasp when I open it.

 

                “Heilige moeder van neuken!”

 

                “That’s not Dutch for hello is it?”

 

I’m asked before I’m swept into a bone crushing hug.

 

BLOOM GALLERY

 

SYDNEY

 

This is going very well.  I have to admit that I was slightly jealous when Lydia said she has Emmett Honeycutt doing the catering and he’s got a new partner.  She was an absolute sweetheart and dropped over some of the samples of the cold appetisers.  I had to keep popping into the office so that nobody would see me eating them, they were delicious. I think I put on ten pounds just looking at the bread.  We are definitely booking them for the Surrealist show in August.

 

                “Um are you quite sure you have the right place?”  I can hear the hostess asking.

 

                “Yes we are, can you check our names please, would you like to see ID?”

 

I glance at Lyndsay and she heads to see what the issue is.

 

LINDZ

 

Okay who the fuck are these people?

 

                “Can I help you at all?”

 

What is standing in front of me can only be described as rejects from the leather ball. 

 

                “Grizz, James Grizzwall but everyone calls me Grizz, see right there that’s me.  And these are my guests…we were invited by Miss K Sanders, sadly she can’t come but wanted us to take her place, you know to make up the numbers.  Ooh whores doo-vres don’t mind it we do!”

 

I watch as they make their way through the gallery and look apologetically and helplessly at Sydney, who shakes his head and makes his way to me.

 

                “Lyndsay what inspired guest selection, you must make sure they come to every opening, superb, opening the art world to everyone, just superb!  Now please introduce me to them.”

 

I quickly snatch up the guest list and follow him to our new patrons.

 

SYDNEY

 

I hide my smile.  Oh Miss K, you wicked thing you.

 

BRITIN

 

BRIAN

 

I let out a bark of laughter and am given baleful looks by Lilah and Milo who have taken up their positions, yes their positions at in front of the fireplace in the bedroom.  We’ve still not figured out why he suddenly decided to be an indoor cat but he sits with Justin whilst he’s painting and has been keeping him calmer for the last couple of days and that’s all that matters.

 

                “What’s so funny?”  Daph calls out

 

                “Gus.  He’s been ordered by Mel to get me to tie his tie before he gets to the showing.  No matter how many times I show him he just is all thumbs.”

 

I leave the door ajar and we head downstairs.  Vince is looking very dapper in his suit and is not on duty tonight.  I have ordered two return service cars for us, because trust me I want to make out with Justin on the way home and I suspect Vince and Daph want to do the same.

 

It doesn’t take us long to get to the Uptown and immediately Daph is swept into hugs.  I look round for Gus but then remember they are going to Bloom first.  I look round for Justin and he’s doing his final check, I call Hunter over and redo his tie.

 

                “Thanks.”  He murmurs quietly.

 

                “Okay, Hunter, come on showtime in 20 minutes.”  Lydia calls out

 

BLOOM GALLERY

 

LINDZ

 

Finally they are here!  What the hell is wrong with Gus’s tie, Mel just shakes her head at me.

 

                “Where have you been?”  I whisper hoarsely.

 

                “Traffic was a bitch and the service was late.  How’s it going?”

 

                “Well apart from rejects from the 1999 Leather Ball turning up it’s been great!”  I snap.

 

She looks round and almost chokes on her drink. 

 

                “Well at least they fit in with the theme of the artist…”

 

                “Not helpful Mel!”

 

I look at Jenny who still has her coat on.

 

                “Sweetheart why don’t you take your coat off and have something to eat…”

 

                “No thanks, Gus and I are going to Uptown as he needs to get his tie done and I need to speak to Aunt Daph and besides these pictures are a little creepy.”

 

And with that they dash out.  Two minutes later, Mel finishes her drink and follows them out.  Great there’s nothing like family support and that was nothing like it!

 

UPTOWN GALLERY

 

 BRIAN

 

                “Sonny boy, next time I do this at least tape it or something.  There perfect.”

 

He scowls at me and snags a glass of champagne on his way to talk to Hunter.  Daph and Jenny are in deep conversation and judging by the grin on her face she’s pleased with the way Vince’s hand keeps drifting to Daph’s waist. 

 

I grab a glass of champagne and hear the one voice I don’t want to.

 

                “Can you check again, my name should be there?  Novotny, Michael Novotny.”

 

I head to reception, but before I get there, Lydia stops me.

 

                “You support him I deal with this.”

 

LYDIA

 

                “How may I help you sir?”

 

                “I want to attend but your receptionist can’t seem to find my name, it’s Michael Novotny.”

 

                “Ah yes, I’m aware.  Your name was added to the reserve list, but we’re at capacity so unfortunately Mr, uh, Novotny, you can’t come in presently.  If you’d like to wait for say another 30 minutes you can try again but not right now.”

 

                “So I just sit here is that what you are saying?”

 

                “Um not quite as you can see there are no seats, but I’m sure there’s a coffee shop you can sit in.  Actually to save you coming back and forth, why don’t I take your number and we can call you?”

 

He writes it down and stalks out.  I throw his number in the bin and smile at the ‘thank you’ Hunter mouths at me as I head towards him.

 

                “Okay Mr Curator.  Showtime!”

 

HUNTER

 

                “Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention please?  Tonight we are showcasing the works of the artist Justin Taylor.  He’s a Pittsburgh native…”

 

I make it through the introduction and only have to find dad four times.  By the time I am talking to actual patrons, I’m not so bad, though I did get a date wrong, but Lydia just corrected it without making a big deal out of things.  Auntie Ems is signalling me for the food and I look at Lydia and she nods.

 

J has set me up a plate and is guarding it for me.  Zee said she’s not coming out, she would leave that to Auntie Ems.  Finally, Faal has arrived with two other people and going by the expression on Matt’s face this is a good thing. 

 

                “Now ladies and gentlemen again your attention please.  For tonight only there are two other pieces of work by Justin Taylor that we are showcasing, they are called Lust and Kiss and although the titles are explanatory once you see them, Hunter will tell you how he discovered them and how they came to be back where they belong.”

 

I take another deep breath and lower the cloth.

 

                “I was cataloguing one day…”

 

When I finish, having almost stared at dad the entire time, there is silence, then Justin takes the mike from me.

 

                “Well after that all I can say is that I couldn’t have talked about those pictures and the others tonight better myself and I painted them.  There is nothing more for me to say, except thank you Lydia, the Uptown Gallery but especially Hunter and I hope you all had an excellent night due to him.  I just painted them, he brought them to you.” 

 

Then Lydia steps up. 

 

                “As you can tell this is a remarkable and diligent young man, who is a credit to the art world.  Who I have no doubt will be a brilliant curator in time and if I have anything to do with it there’s no way in hell we are letting him go!  Brilliant job, absolutely brilliant, well done Hunter, so proud of you!”

 

I keep looking at the floor and try to rub away the tear that splashes on my shoes.  She leans over to me and whispers.

 

                “So very fucking proud!  Now head up, smile, leave the stage, and go join your family, you’ve earned it.”

 

I head to the nearest waiter and inhale a glass of champagne. 

 

                “So Mr Curator how’d you feel?”  Grandpa asks embracing me in a hug. 

 

I tighten my arms round him and burst into tears.

 

                “That good huh?”

 

KITCHEN

 

ZEE

 

                “I can’t wait to watch this…Emmy, Emmy Lou what’s wrong for fuck sake?!”

 

                “So proud of my Littlest so very proud, even Brian had a tear in his eye.” 

 

He is snivelling into a napkin.

 

                “Jesus, don’t do that, I thought there had been a disaster.  Okay let’s get this place cleaned up.” 

 

                “Need a hand little one?”

 

I drop the plate I am holding and turn round and fly into the arms of my Uncle Luc.

 

                “What the hell are you doing here?!  Where is she?!”

 

                “Out front being charming, of course.  Let’s leave her to that, she’s taken that young man under her wing and is getting as many cards as possible, I do believe she and Lydia may be gearing up for a battle.”

 

                “Uncle Luc stop!  Is everything okay, it’s not back is it, promise me?”

 

                “Everything is just fine, no it isn’t, we’ll talk about why we’re here in the morning but it is nothing bad, I assure you.  Now introduce me to this fine upstanding but seemingly over emotional man.”

 

                “Emmett Honeycutt, or Emmy Lou as I call him, this is Lucian Charles Stark, or Uncle Luc as I call him.”

 

                “Pleased to meet you uh…”

 

                “How about we start with Emmett and Lucian until we get comfortable with nicknames?”

 

Uncle Luc rolls up his sleeves and in no time the kitchen is cleared the food truck locked down and the waiters sent home with the remains of the food.  I’m blushing and internally cursing as Uncle Luc regales Emmy Lou with tales of my childhood.

 

I look into the gallery and there are just the glasses to clear but we can do those in the morning, I watch Aunt Dee work the room with Lydia and Hunter who looks a little bewildered by this dynamo.  There are a few patrons left but after about 10 minutes they start drifting off and finally the doors are shut.  Leaving the family, David, Charles and Hank behind.

 

                “Now where is my niece?  Get yourself over here!”

 

I dash across the room barely managing to see her through my tears.

 

                “Oh come now, hush, stop baby girl, stop, it’s all fine, it’s all fine.”

 

                “Did you know?”  I look accusingly at Faal.

 

                “No he didn’t in fact when he opened the door his first words were holy mother of fuck.”

 

Faal looks mortified.

 

                “I make it my mission to find out the swear words in most languages.”  She chuckles.

 

Suddenly there is a banging on the door.

 

                “Ah it must be Lindz.”  Mel sighs and goes to check.  “Actually no it’s not its Kiki from the diner.”

 

Lydia lets her in and kisses her on both cheeks.

 

                “How was it, he asked if it would it be possible to see a recording.”

 

                “Of course darling, he did brilliantly like I knew he would.  Tell him I will email it to him okay?  And his event went well I take it?” 

 

                “Oh yes.  Now I have to go, have a lovely evening and weekend all.”

 

Lydia grins and Kiki swishes out with a smile.

 

                “Um Lydia…?”  Ben begins.

 

                “Best you don’t know.”

 

                “Alright I don’t know about anyone else but I’m ready to go home and maybe sleep for four days!”

 

I snuggle into Faal’s chest.

 

                “Okay, cars are on their way.  Mel are you waiting for Lindz?”  Faal asks.

 

“Let me just call to see how she’s doing?” 

 

Two minutes later she sighs heavily.

 

        “She won’t be finished for another hour or so.  Sydney had to leave for a family emergency, so I guess we’re going over to Bloom.”

 

        “No why not let the kids go home with Hunter and Matt, then drop of David, Charles and Hank and they can send the car back and it will wait for you, which should take about an hour to do.”  I suggest

 

Mel nods and then everyone makes their way to their cars.   The moment I get in lean against Faal but before I drift off, I mumble

 

                “Remember to say overnight to me tomorrow…”

 

BROWNSTONE – SATURDAY MORNING

 

LINDZ

 

I’m exhausted it’s been a long week and after the horror show from last night and Sydney abandoning me to deal with them…I was furious but at least I didn’t have to battle to find a cab to get home.  Apparently, the service was provided by hers truly.

 

                “No jogging today?”  Mel mumbles from her pillow.

 

                “No, I deserve a break.”

 

                “Mmm.”

 

I decide to take her lead and fall back asleep.

 

After what feels like twenty minutes later I’m jolted awake by the door knocking, Mel waves me back down and I gladly close my eyes again and drift back off to sleep.

 

MEL

 

                “Hey honey what’s wrong?”

 

                “It’s ten o’clock, I only have two hours!”  Jenny whispers urgently at me.

 

It takes a while for the reason for her urgency to register.

 

                “Oh shit, let’s get moving!”

 

TREEHOUSE

 

MASTER BEDROOM

 

FAAL

 

She is still sleeping, we ended up staying up until gone two this morning, talking to them and polishing off a bottle of wine.  I gently extricate myself from her grip and get dressed and head downstairs.

 

                “Morning.”  Uncle Luc mumbles.  “Point me in the direction of coffee or at least some fizzy water.” 

 

I guide him to the kitchen.

 

                “My liver ain’t up to that kinda shit no more.”  He moans from the counter. 

 

                “Uncle Luc…”

 

                “It ain’t nothing bad, would you two calm down.  I promise you it’s all good, well from our point of view she might not think so at first.”

 

                “And why’s that?”  Zee asks rubbing her eyes sleepily and fumbling for coffee.

 

                “Overnight.”  Uncle Luc says.

 

                “Thanks.  Anyone know where my phone is?”

 

                “Charging in the lounge.”  Aunt Dee comes in and kisses us all good morning.  “Now I’m on breakfast, not a word, and then we will talk.”

 

An hour later we are sitting eating bacon, scrambled eggs and roasted tomatoes with homemade bread that Aunt Dee insisted on starting last night after about the 3rd glass of Gigondas.

 

                “Okay, now sit, listen and don’t argue you understand?”  Uncle Luc instructs.

 

                “Wait shouldn’t we wait for Matt?”  Zee nibbles on her thumb nail.

 

                “No this is to do with you so, again sit, listen and don’t argue.  There is nothing wrong with me or your aunt, we are both healthy happy and fine.  We have decided to give our bequests whilst we are still alive to watch you enjoy them.  We’ve done the boys already and we wanted to save the best, my little one, till last.  We, Lucian Charles Stark and Deidra Xanthe Stark hereby bequeath to Zaden Zion Stark our house in Portland and the all the contents contained therein.  Should she reject this bequest through bullheaded stupidity, the house and contents will be sold and the money placed in trust to her but we would really rather she took the house and its contents.”

 

Zee just looks at them stupefied and then explodes.

 

                “Ben je uit je ooit liefdevolle helemaal gek!  You can’t be serious, tell me you’re not serious, where are you going to live if you do this, you can’t do this!”

 

                “We are going to live in our house in New York to be close to your mom and dad.  Well for as long as we can before we kill each other.  And yes we are serious.  Honey you were always, I mean always, going to get this, this way we get to see you enjoy it, now please Faal translate what she just said, I know that fucking was in there somewhere but as for the rest…”  Aunt Dee asks

 

                “She asked ‘are you out of your ever loving fucking mind’ and judging by your faces you’re not.  Lig I don’t see what the big deal is, I think it is a lovely thing they are doing and...”

 

                “Hang on be right back.”

 

She comes back in with her iPad and brings up some photos of a beautiful circular building with a garden in the centre.  She shows me some pictures of the rooms, they are gorgeous light and airy and all of them have a glass wall facing the garden.

 

                “That’s the house.  This is where I got the idea from for the rooms here, you can see out but not in.”

 

                “Jezus Christus neuken.”  I breathe. 

 

                “Well no need to translate that.  So if you accept you just need to sign here, here and here and get this witnessed do you know a lawyer that can read this over for you, just because we’re family it don’t mean nothing.” 

 

Aunt Dee hands her the paperwork.  

 

“Please honey just accept it in the spirit in which is meant with love and devotion and a wee bit of spite, that grasping bitch sister-in-law of yours was gunning for that place and I thought no fucking way…abso-fucking-lutely not!”  Uncle Luc grins evilly.

 

                “I need to call Mel.”  She mutters.

 

BROWNSTONE

 

MEL

 

I’m really trying hard not to laugh but currently Jenny’s room looks like a bomb has hit it, everything that was in her wardrobe is currently outside it and she’s dressed like a cross between a nun, with the turtleneck and a snood, a snood really, and a disco queen with the glittery skirt and Mary Jane patent heels.

 

                “Um honey, you know you are just going for pizza, maybe this top, this jacket, that nice fur scarf, gloves and jeans with the boots Aunt Daph brought from New York for you.  Oh actually maybe the trainers, if you are thinking of walking or taking the bus there because you’ll be coming back with papa and Steve right?”

 

                “I’ve spent the last 20 minutes channelling dad and queening out haven’t I?” 

 

She plonks down on her bed, I wince slightly and nod.

 

                “Why didn’t you stop me?”  She wails pulling off her outfit.

 

                “Would you rather queen here or there?”  I point out.

 

                “Good point.  So how much money do you think I will need to take, I want to go halves obviously.”

 

                “Good I’m glad to hear it.  I would budget on say $30.  And remember no booze you’ve got a big game tomorrow!”

 

I’m blaming her nerves for her aim being off with the pillow.

 

BRITIN

 

BRIAN

 

Okay its official, I’m owned by cats and a certain blonde.  Cats and a certain hot blonde rule this roost. 

 

Apart from Justin being curled into my side, Lilah’s behind my head purring into my skull and Milo’s stretched across both Justin and I curling his paws into the air whilst I rub his belly and I’ve no desire to move whatsoever.  Justin lets out a little giggle.

 

                “Tell anyone and I’ll never blow you again.”  I murmur

 

                “Zipping definitely zipping.”

 

                “So all that queening and being a brat was for naught, it was a great success.”

 

                “Yeah it was.  I’m sorry I was a brat.”

 

                “As long as you make it up to me like you did the last time brat away.” 

 

I kiss the top of his head and hear my phone go.

 

                “Hey Faal, you okay you sound a little off.  Uh yeah we’re still coming to Jenny’s game of course.  Oh okay, not a problem we’ll see you later then.”

 

                “What’s up?”

 

                “Most probably nothing, but we’re overnighting as the track is over that side and it makes more sense, they’re calling round everyone that’s going to the game…”  I sigh

 

                “It is their decision Brian, let them face the consequences of it, don’t take on unnecessary shit, especially theirs.”

 

SHADYSIDE

 

MICHAEL

 

I have been trying Lindsay for the last hour but she’s not picking up.  I spent almost an hour waiting for that woman to call before making my way back only to be turned back again and I couldn’t get into Lindz’s event as that was full too, so I ended up going home having got dressed up for nothing.

 

I’ve tried Jenny a couple of times but I think she’s still mad at me because we told her that she can’t do roller derby anymore, Lindz didn’t tell me how that discussion went but as we are the parents she has to listen and do as she’s told.  It’s a shame she’s going to miss the game tomorrow after all the effort she’s gone through but our decision is final.

 

GIOVANNI PIZZA & PASTA

 

STEVE

 

“Okay can you see their table?” 

 

“Table sighted locked and loaded sir!”

 

“Will you take this seriously, it’s her first date and…it would appear that Hank had the same idea.”

 

“Huh what do you mean?” 

 

I point at another table where sit Charles and David.  I head in their direction and after a quick discussion they join us.

 

                “I’m so glad it’s you and not…”

 

                “Yeah David, us too, I’m not sure she’s told him yet, so get ready for a brat attack when he does.  Not that Jenny will allow him to run her life that way, should they want to bring this further, I mean, if they want to you uh, I uh…”

 

                “Smooth Steve smooth.   Oh here they come act nonchalant.”  Charles stage whispers…badly.

 

HANK

 

                “Oh God they’re all sitting together, now what do we do?”

 

Jenny looks carefully over her shoulder and groans.

 

                “We should move to another table where they can’t see us maybe?”

 

I nod and attract the attention of the waitress and Jenny explains the situation and with a grin she moves us to a booth out of their line of sight.

 

                “So did you enjoy the show last night I thought it was excellent and…”

 

                “Wow I thought I was nervous!  I spent all morning with my mom turning my wardrobe inside out and my first outfit of choice was a turtleneck, a snood…wait it gets worse…a glittery skirt and heels.  What was yours?”

 

                “A suit with a bow tie.”

 

She snorts into her milkshake and I think that’s nice. 

 

                “So explain roller derby to me.  I love ice hockey, there’s this classic movie called Slap Shot you should see it.”

 

                “Oh you are kidding me that’s one of my favourites, when the guy runs the stick across the opposing teams’ faces…pure classic.  You should see Whip It, it’s about roller derby by Drew Barrymore.  Our team is in the final tomorrow…shame you can’t make the game.”

 

        “Yeah I would’ve liked to have seen you in action.  I mean with roller derby not se…I mean!  Are you ready to order?  I’m starving I was so nervous I couldn’t eat much this morning.”

 

        “You too.  So should we share a starter and then a pizza or do you want your own?”

 

        “Actually, I’m not really a fan of pizza but that was the only thing I could think to invite you to, I would much rather have a hoagie, I love hoagies.”

 

        “Oh for goodness sake!  Time to be a Marcus.  Hang on a minute.”

 

        “What…uh where you going?”

 

I watch in bewilderment as she gets up and heads the hostess desk, she speaks to the same waitress that moved us who looks back and grins again before coming up to the booth with her following behind smiling.

 

                “Good afternoon sir.  Your guest Miss Jenny Marcus Petersen is here.  May I take your coat miss?”

 

                “Thank you that would be most kind.” 

 

                “You’re nuts you know that.”

 

                “Yeah, this from the boy who invites a girl on a date for pizza and he doesn’t like pizza!  So hoagies it is then.  Can we share wings, they won’t be as good as Aunt Zee’s nothing beats them, and I really want the eggplant parm hoagie with fries, what about you?”

 

                “Yes to the wings and I’ll have hot sausage hoagie, how big are the fries do you think we should share?”

 

                “Our hoagies are quite filling sir I would share the fries.”  The waitress smiles.  “And I will ask the chef to cut the hoagies just in case you want to share those too.”

 

I grin and Jenny giggles, she has a nice giggle.

 

We ended up sharing our hoagies, good call by Sarah our waitress, when it came to the bill it turns out that our dads had settled it.  Her papa had sent her a text to tell her to let her know when and where to pick her up.  We headed to the park and after she sent the text we ended up waiting on a bench for him.

 

                “So did you have a good time?”

 

                “Yep, once we got over our stupid nerves it was great.  I really enjoyed it.”

 

                “Great.  So um, now what?”

 

                “Well I do this.”

 

And she kissed me!

 

BROWNSTONE

 

LINDZ

 

I’ve slept all morning, only getting up to eat something before going back to sleep.  Jenny had gone out with a friend and Gus was working on the car.  I have to admit to being hurt that he’s shared his secret with Mel and not me but I will get it out of him soon enough.  I know which buttons to push.

 

I look at my phone and discover that I have missed nine calls from Michael, I was just about to call him back when Jenny bustles in.

 

                “Whoa where’s the fire?”  I ask.

 

                “No fire I need to collect my things before we go to the Treehouse.” 

 

                “Hey Jenny you’re back did you enjoy yourself?” 

 

                “Yeah it was great, gotta pack my gear.  What time is grandpa coming?”

 

                “He’s not.  Now don’t worry.  They are sending the service, they have a surprise for you.”

 

I look between Mel and a surprised Jenny.

 

                “What’s going on?”  I demand

 

                “It’s a surprise.  Now get yourself packed you have 30 minutes.”

 

Jenny dashes upstairs.

 

                “Mind telling me what’s going on?”

 

                “Drew has arranged a little surprise for Jenny ahead of the game tomorrow…”

 

                “So she’s still going to play tomorrow then?”

 

Mel nods and heads to the lounge and I follow.

 

                “Mel…”

 

                “Lindsay, she’s made her mind up and made a commitment she’s determined to honour and Ben and I will back her up on this.  Now if you excuse me I have to get my stuff together too.”

 

I sigh in resignation but will lose this battle to win the war.

 

                “Okay, let me call Michael and tell him where to meet us tomorrow.  Or is he allowed to overnight in the exulted Treehouse?”

 

She stops what she’s doing and looks at me.

 

                “Us what do you mean us?  You two decided that you didn’t want to be at the game so she gave your tickets to Zee’s aunt and uncle.  Turns out she was quite a jammer in her youth.”

 

                “What exactly are you saying Mel?”

 

                “I’m saying that you’re not coming tonight and you two are not coming tomorrow.  Don’t put this on anyone but yourselves.  Now excuse me, I have a bottle of whatever the fuck it is called to collect and then I have to pack.” 

 

She heads upstairs to pack and I snatch up my phone.

 

                “Michael fancy coming over for dinner tonight.  Turns out that because we think of the safety of our daughter we are parental pariahs this weekend.  Okay great see you in half an hour.”

 

When Mel come back downstairs I make show of taking out the menus.

 

                “Michael is coming over for dinner soon, we’ll take in a movie and reflect on some people’s life choices…”

 

                “As long as you start with your own then enjoy.  Oh one more thing, once Michael gets here tonight for your pity party make sure he leaves, they will know if he stays here, trust me, which will put us in breach of our lease and you wouldn’t want that would you?”

 

I hear the beep of the car horn.

 

                “Jenny come on the car’s here!”

 

Jenny thunders down the stairs and after a quick yell goodbye is gone.

 

                “Have a good evening Lindz.”

 

CAR SERVICE

 

MEL

 

                “Well?!”

 

                “It was great!  He doesn’t like pizza so we ended up with hoagies and fries.  We talked about films, he likes Slap Shot, and we ended up in the park just sitting on a bench and I kissed him and it was just nice!”

 

I smile at the happiness on her face and hope and pray that Michael especially doesn’t fuck this up for her when he finds out.

 

TREEHOUSE

 

DREW

 

The door goes and I line everyone up and nod.

 

                “Oh my God what are you guys doing here?!”  Jenny screams when she sees her teammates.

 

                “Well I thought that you could have a team sleepover, come on you’re in the basement for the night.”

 

She beams that smile of hers and we head downstairs, it takes them a few minutes to recognise the Steel City Roller Derby Team Steel Hurtin’ standing by the pool and then the screaming really starts.

 

                “So ladies I can leave them in your capable hands?”

 

                “No problem Drew, we’ll make sure these gals come back with the trophy.” 

 

S’Frya calls out and waves me upstairs.

 

MEL

 

                “No matter what happens tomorrow, you may just have made their weekend.” 

 

I tell Drew when he comes back waggling his finger in his ear presumably to clear the ringing.

 

Before I can even get to the lounge Zee and Faal call me into their office.  Waiting in there is her aunt, her uncle and Ted.

 

                “What’s going on?”  I ask him.

 

                “No idea.  Was just asked to wait here.”

 

                “Sorry to drag you away from the family but I need you to read this for me.”  

 

She hands me some papers and I read them in amazement.

 

                “You seriously want to do this?”  I ask them

 

                “Yep.  If it were you would you sign it?”  Aunt Dee asks with a smile knowing my answer.

 

                “In a fucking heartbeat!  And then go and see my new house!”

 

                “Can there be an amendment?”  Zee asks.

 

                “No my lig no…”

 

                “Jy sal nie dieselfde doen?”  She asks him.

 

                “In 'n hartklop.”  He replies kissing her

 

                “In English please?”  Aunt Dee demands.

 

                “She asked if I would do the same and I said in a heartbeat.”

 

                “We thought you would say that but in Dutch, here’s the one leaving it to you both.” 

 

Uncle Luc smiles and hands over another document to me and I read it again.

 

                “You two just sign the damn thing!”  I demand.

 

With tears in their eyes they sign and Ted witnesses it.  After hugging it out her aunt, uncle and Ted go back to the lounge.

 

                “Now Brian and Justin need to be told about Emily.”  Zee groans.

 

                “Been thinking about that.  I think it would be best to get a sworn affidavit from Emily so maybe arrange an appointment with their lawyer to get that done and then go through the paperwork?”

 

                “Okay, but maybe, I know it is stalling, maybe we meet at Britin and you tell us all then and then get the ball rolling with Emily.  This weekend has been good why ruin it for them now?  Besides Brian is going to be grumpy enough with the messy fest tomorrow!”

 

                “True enough but it has to be done by Monday latest Tuesday.” 

 

I’m determined that they know the truth, it won’t change the love they have for Gus but at least they will know.

 

By the time we get back to the lounge his aunt and uncle have told everyone about the house and she ends up showing them pictures and by the end of the evening the entire family has arranged to go to Portland in mid-February, Jenny will hopefully be pleased.

 

SUNDAY AFTERNOON ROLLER DERBY TRACK POST-GAME

 

JENNY

 

I am covered in bruises, am aching and emotional but we won!  We actually won!  I scored three points and the loudest cheers came from my section.  It helped that we had the Steel Hurtin’ girls there.  But we won!  Miss Leach hasn’t stopped crying and I think that Auntie Em is getting a little annoyed that she is draped across Uncle Drew.

 

                “Oh my God my darling girl you were brilliant!” 

 

Mom is croaking as she’s been screaming herself hoarse the entire time.

 

                “When you slammed that whatshername into the wall, just pure jam technique!” 

 

Gus is squealing, yes my brother is squealing. 

 

                “And then the way you skidded under that blocker’s arms wow just wow!  That’s my granddaughter, people my granddaughter right there!” 

 

Nana Jen shouts pointing at me.

 

                “Didn’t I tell you that would work, the old ones are usually the best.”  Aunt Dee smiles at me.

 

                “Okay people let’s get this champion home, I think a nice Jacuzzi soak and then messy fest is called for!” 

 

Aunt Zee says squeezing me tight.

 

TREEHOUSE

 

KITCHEN

 

ZEE

 

I look round and make sure the coast is clear before hauling Faal into the back kitchen.

 

                “Here?  Are you sure, we can go to…”

 

                “Not that!  Though maybe later depending on how messy we get.  No, I owe you an apology and please bear in mind I was ever so slightly drunk.”

 

                “Brietling?”  He smiles and cocks an eyebrow.

 

                “Who…”

 

                “Brian mentioned it early this morning when he had his fourth brandy.”

 

                “I’m sorry sweetheart it just…”

 

                “Stop it my lig, I don’t care but I am a little jealous.” 

 

                “Huh?  Jealous why?”

 

                “Justin made him faint.”

 

With that he kisses me on the nose and leaves.

 

                “Faint, fuck me that boy and I need to have words.”

 

I head back to the kitchen and start to pull out the food for the fest.  I wanted to do this by myself so despite the protests of my commis I’m prepping and listening to music.  Everyone is downstairs lounging by the pool, I’m glad that we had her team over last night, doing a messy fest with a gaggle of over excited girls would not be my idea of fun!

 

                “Okay little one what’s got you bothered, I know it ain’t the bequest, so what is it?” 

 

Uncle Luc slides onto a stool.

 

                “A niggle maybe two and I can’t quite reach them.”  I sigh.

 

                “Niggle have a name?”

 

                “Lyndsey Petersen and maybe Michael Novotny.”

 

                “Lyndsey is that the same Lindz whose been trying to get in Faal’s pants the moment she met him?  What in hell is Mel still doing with that hound, she seems a strong woman and more deserving than that if what I’ve been told is true.”

 

                “It is and she is but love tends to make you weak.” 

 

                “Only if you let it.  You think you two would’ve survived as long as you have if your love wasn’t strong?”

 

                “Faal and I are different to Mel…”

 

                “Bullshit.  That’s bullshit little one and you know it.  Love is love no matter what but it has to be respectful, tender, kind, nurturing and above all honest.  Want me to have a looksee?”

 

                “You most likely won’t find anything but…”

 

                “Consider it done.  Now that we’ve had this conversation let him back in he’s getting antsy down there, I’ve never seen a man so pitiful!”

 

                “Emmy Lou a little help please!”  I bellow and within seconds I hear the pounding of footsteps.

 

                “Right first things first…bubbles!  And…promise not to ever do that to me again!”  Emmy Lou pouts

 

I kiss him on the cheek and pour him a brandy Bellini and everything is right with his world.

 

                “You get to watch not help deal?”

 

                “Deal.”  He claps his hand happily.

 

An hour or so later I’m calling them into the dining room.

 

                “Burlap oh this is not good.”  Brian grumbles.

 

                “Honey child, have you not done a messy fest with these people yet?”  Aunt Dee asks.

 

                “Nope.  Thought I would start genteel and sophisticated and work my way down to dark and dirty.” 

 

                “Oh you are in for a treat, need some help serving up?  Come on Luc let’s show these folks how the Starks get messy.” 

 

I grin as they follow me to the kitchen, we come back in rolling in trolleys ladened down with: corn chowder, cheese bread, crab gratin with brandy, avocado temkai, julienned vegetable salad, assorted hotdogs…NYC deli, all day breakfast, Bombay spice, Tokyo, Souk and Tex Mex…Chinese style pork ribs, brown sugar and chilli chicken wings and for pudding salted peanut and honeycomb rock road.

 

Brian pulls Justin back down and then wrestles him into his lap so we can put the mains on the table.

 

                “Okay have at it!”  I call out

 

And as is the tradition in the messy fest there is no cutlery but plenty of napkins and water bowls placed down by the side of the tables should it get just that tiny bit too messy.

 

LOUNGE

 

                “Well that went down well.”  Carl grins rubbing his belly.

 

                “Who won?”  I ask.

 

                “Won?”  Blake asks looking confused.

 

                “There was a bet as to who would go first, Brian and Justin, Daph and Vince or Matt and Hunter.” 

 

Jennifer explains earning a glare from Daph, who despite her glare has not left Vince’s side all day.

 

                “And?”  Aunt Dee prompts.

 

                “I won of course, Brian and Justin with the salad.  Give me my money people!”  Uncle Luc guffaws.

 

BROWNSTONE

 

LINDZ

 

Last night was the most boring night in the world ever.  All he did was moan about his divorce, his audit, how unlucky he was and how he couldn’t get into the art shows.  He drank a bit too much and wanted to stay but I persuaded him to take a cab home, so he’ll come collect his car tomorrow.  I’m sure they can’t tell if he stayed but I’m not taking any chances, I will reluctantly admit that it’s a much better fit for us than Britin for now and I’m in no hurry to leave, she does have exquisite taste as well as a husband with money, lucky cow!

 

 

I’ve not heard from Mel or the kids since this morning when they called to say they were on their way to the game; I’m feeling lonely and neglected, why are they treating me this way?  

Chapter End Notes:

Please review constructively and kindly.