- Text Size +

CHAPTER 21 – TRUTH GOES IN ONE EAR AND OUT THE OTHER WITH SOME FOLK

 

BEN & HUNTER’S – FRIDAY EVENING

 

BEN

 

Ah here comes the losers.  Oh just the one.

 

                “Michael, what are you doing here?”  I sigh.

 

                “May I come in?  It’s about Jenny, I’m worried about this Hank situation…”

 

I see Eli and Monty coming out of their house with Steve who was helping them bring over the beer, he looks over his shoulder and on seeing them has a small smile ghost over his face.

 

                “We’ll go round the back.”  Steve says.

 

                “So what about it?”  I ask.

 

                “I would rather not discuss this on the front porch.”  He presses.

 

                “Then we can meet at the diner or even better the Brownstone and talk then.”

 

He beams and nods.

 

                “What time?” 

 

                “Um, how about 1200 at the diner, that’s the only time I have so take it or leave it, now I have guests.” 

 

I shut the door in his face and head back to the lounge.

 

                “Okay out with it.”  Steve sighs.

 

                “He’s wants to talk about Jenny and Hank.”

 

                “Should we postpone, if you want to talk privately?”  Monty suggests.

 

                “No, let’s play poker, Michael isn’t going to ruin our evening.  We’ll talk about this tomorrow okay babe?” 

 

I glance at Steve and feel relieved when he nods and starts to open beer.

 

BRITIN

 

LOUNGE – LATE EVENING

 

JOSHUA

 

                “This is my partner in the firm Richard Stewart and the stenographer Christine Gale.  So Brian what I want you to do is tell us exactly, well as far as you can remember it, how you came to be the father of Gus Marcus Petersen.”

 

SMALLING, STEWART & VINE – SATURDAY MORNING

 

JOSHUA

 

                “Hi Emily, thanks so much for coming in at such short notice, did Mel tell you what this is about?”

 

                “She said that you needed me to make a statement about what I told her about Lindsay…”

 

                “Well not quite, let me introduce you to my partner in the firm Richard Stewart and the stenographer Christine Gale.  I know this sounds like a weird question but can you remember any email addresses you had round about that time?”

 

                “It was almost 18 years ago.  But I’m a creature of habit and haven’t changed mine for 15 years!”

 

                “Oh that’s good.  I’m going to show you a list of addresses do you recognise any of them on there?”

 

She scans the list but shows no sign of recognition and hands them back to me.  My heart sinks.

 

                “Wait, can I have that back?”

 

I give it back and she stares and then grins.

 

                “Oh my goodness, I had forgotten all about that!  It was the first email address I got when I met Francine.  When you’re in the first flush of love you do silly things with us it was email addresses.”

 

                “Can you point out which email address you are referring to?” 

 

My heart is hammering in my chest now.

 

                “Yes this one emmetfc_05062007.com, it’s the day we met hers was fcmetem_05062007.com and…”

 

                “Yes, yes fuck yes!”  I shout and fist pump.

 

Three pairs of astonished eyes look at me.

 

                “Sorry, sorry about that.  Having recognised this email address, do you recognise this correspondence?”

 

I hand over a raft of papers and feel my heart breaking for her as she reads it and tearfully nods.

 

DINER – SATURDAY LUNCHTIME

 

BEN

 

If he’s not here in 5 minutes I am going, I have better fucking things to do with my time!

 

                “Ben sorry I’m late, I had somethings to do.  You look nice, the smart casual look suits you.  Can I get you a coffee or anything?”

 

                “No.  What do you want to talk about?”

 

                “Going anywhere nice?”

 

“Michael…”

 

“Okay, this dating thing with Jenny and Hank…”

 

                “Date.  As in singular.  And besides he lives in Portland so it’s not as if they’re going to see each other every week.”

 

                “Yes I know but still I don’t want it to interfere with her schooling.”

 

                “Again, Portland.”

 

                “I know, I lived there!  So you don’t have an issue with this, despite the behaviour of his father?”

 

                “Just because his father allegedly wronged you doesn’t mean that Hank will treat Jenny the same.  And from what I’ve seen of the emails and texts, there is nothing malicious or subversive, it’s just two teenager who like-like each other and…”

 

He looks stunned and folds his arms glowering…pouting 101 in effect.

 

                “You’ve seen them?”

 

                “Yes she’s shown them to me.”

 

                “Well she can show them to me too then!”

 

                “Why?”

 

                “I’m her father and…”

 

                “Only when you remember or want to prove a point.  Look, take this on board, don’t try and interfere in this in some misguided attempt to get back at David.  If you fuck this up for Jenny, she will never forgive you.  Now I have better things to do than tend to your ego.”

 

I head out leaving him simmering and call Mel.

 

                “Hey, just met with Michael.  He’s not as happy as he made out about Jenny and Hank, so be prepared.”

 

I hang up and head to meet Hunter.

 

UPTOWN

 

HUNTER

 

                “Hey dad, give me two minutes.” 

 

He nods and looks round the gallery, whilst I pack up my desk.  Whilst I said I would take us all out to the Twisted Frenchman for dinner I wanted to something just dad and I and I know he will like this, I wave goodbye to Scott and usher dad out.

 

                “So where are we going that I had to be dressed like this on a Saturday?”

 

I smile and hail a cab and hand him the address.  It doesn’t take us long to get to there.

 

                “Well, dad, welcome to Hop Farm Brewing Company, I know how much you love beer and I wanted some one on one time with you and I love burgers so here we are.”

 

He grins at me, opens the door and I sweep majestically inside.

 

BROWNSTONE

 

LINDZ

 

                “Gus may I talk to you?”

 

He looks up from his book.

 

                “Talk or shout?”

 

                “Talk.  I behaved abominably to you, I shouldn’t have shouted or threatened you with a grounding.  The reasons are irrelevant, I had a bad week and I took it out on you, it will never happen again.”

 

He continues to stare at me.

 

                “Fine.”  He goes back to his book.

 

                “So am I forgiven lambskin?”

 

                “Did you apologise?”  He asks without looking up.

 

                “I thought I just did…”

 

                “No, mom, you told me what you shouldn’t have done, how you behaved, reasons for it and that it would never happen again, which is not an apology.  An apology contains the words “I’m sorry” and those words don’t mean that, but in order to lift this for-shit atmosphere let’s move past this okay?”

 

                “Thank you lambs…”

 

                “And stop calling me lambskin, I hate it, just like J hates Honeybun, we’re teenagers not five.”

 

With that he stalks out almost running Mel over.

 

                “Now what have you said?”  She sighs.

 

                “Nothing I apologised to him and…”

 

                “No you didn’t but we’re moving on from it!”  Gus calls down and then bangs his door shut.

 

She stares at me with something unreadable in her eyes, I shift under her gaze.

 

                “So what plans for the rest of the day, I think you and I need to reconnect.”

 

I reach for her to try to kiss her but she pulls back and sighs.

 

                “Lindz, you need to give me time.  You didn’t see you what we saw, it was horrid like Jenny said.  Let’s just have a nice weekend, we’re going to the Treehouse tomorrow so that will be good.”

 

                “Mmm, I suppose, though I hope there’s not a messy fest again, I just hope they can get the stains out of my twinset, by rights I should send Zee the bill.” 

 

                “It’s funny, whenever something bad happens it’s Zee’s fault but whenever something good happens Faal’s the hero.  Get this straight, oh the irony of that word, you need to let this fixation you have with Faal go.  He doesn’t want you, he never will want you and you’re a married lesbian as you just tried to prove.  Zee is not Justin, she will only take so much crap before she starts to fight back and no amount of waspish upbringing will save you from her.”

 

                “That’s ridiculous…look I don’t want to argue, we’ve done enough of that this week, like you said let’s just enjoy the rest of the weekend.”

 

She puffs out a laugh and leaves.

 

                “Oh Mel do you know if they are sending the service for us?”

 

                “Yes Zee is as she always does.”  She calls back.

 

BOYD HONEYCUTT HOUSE

 

DREW

 

I come downstairs to find Ems pouring over kitchen catalogues putting stickers on everything he likes and humming to himself.

 

                “So how much have you spent so far?”  I ask putting my arms round him.

 

                “Ooh not much but I do feel we should do a launch party for our past clients refresh their memory of my, now our, fabulousness, what do you think?”

 

                “I think anything that puts that smile on your face is good enough for me.”

 

                “Great!  Do you realise how much she’s had done did I show you the pictures?”

 

I chuckle and nuzzle his neck, he’s been getting daily photos from Baz and I can always tell when he gets one he does this particular squeal.

 

                “Yes, you have but show them to me again…um Ems do you know that Zee’s favourite colour is purple?” 

 

I say looking down at the pictures of ranges and tap one in particular.

 

                “Oh she’s going to love it!” 

 

And there’s that squeal again.

 

TREEHOUSE

 

LOUNGE

 

ZEE

 

                “So that’s okay, you’re sure?  You do realise that there’s going to be about 14 of…I know I keep forgetting.  Okay so the week Valentine’s Day weekend it is…I know, again I’m so used to it being your house.  Is he about?  Hey Uncle Luc, anything at all?  Didn’t think so, okay consider me told, I shall leave you to your digging.  Love you both.”

 

                “Do I need to sort out a flight plan?”

 

                “And a pilot, unless you want to fly to Portland?”

 

                “Nope, I would like to take advantage of the room at the back though.  Although I think we will have to fight Brian and Justin for it.”

 

                “Actually let them have it on the way out, last time they were on there, Justin shared with his mom and Emmy Lou, just remind me to have the plane cleaned when we land!  And to make sure the sounds machine is in place and extra bedding.”

 

I frown at her.

 

                “What?”

 

                “You were a raving dervish yesterday now you an oasis of calm and gentility, what’s going on?”

 

                “Come, come see, more importantly come taste.”

 

She drags me to the kitchen and pulls out what looks like a medium square block of filo pastry.

 

                “Cut into it.” 

 

I do so and out pours a rich gravy and cubes of meat and what looks like mash, tasting it I sigh happily.

 

                “Guess.”  Her eyes are shining.

 

                “Beef but a tender cut?”

 

                “Nope”

 

                “Oh wait, goat?  With, wait, let me taste again.  Oh lamb and the mash…no absolutely not!”

 

                “Hey cool your jets, this is dinner tonight.  Now go pick the wine”

 

                “Oh thank God!  Though I do think after Thursday that we could…”

 

                “Already done.”

 

SHADYSIDE

 

MICHAEL

 

Yet again I’m invited for lunch tomorrow, my plan is working perfectly.  I shall be back by Brian’s side as his proper best friend in no time.  Ma is so wrong about Justin being his best friend, he’s just his fuck buddy and will cheat again on him no doubt.  Speaking of cheating, I’ve not seen much of Joshua for the last few days.  I have to plan this carefully, I still can’t remember that idiot’s surname…oh but I think I can get it out of Jenny tomorrow.

 

The door knocking surprises me as I don’t have many visitors.

 

                “Ma, Carl!  What a surprise!  Come in.”

 

I stand aside and she bustles into the lounge.

 

                “Nice place, though I would’ve preferred to have been invited instead of pitching up and hoping you were in.”

 

                “Well I’ve been busy what with the appeal and everything.  What are you doing here?  Do you want coffee?”

 

They both nod and settle themselves on the sofa.

 

                “So these are them then?”  Carl asks nodding his head at my collectibles case. 

 

                “Yeah…”

 

                “So how much do these things go for?  Roughly?”

 

                It depends on how old they are, but they appreciate in value the longer you keep them like I said.”

 

I put the tray down and frown at ma, she’s not said much.

 

                “Ma you okay?”

 

                “Uh yeah, I’m just wondering how much she’s worth to you?  You’re not paying support because of the tax bill, no don’t even go there, but you’re buying toys that will appreciate in value and you will be the only one benefitting from that.  And yet you’ve got the goddam fucking nerve to try and guilt me into helping you with the tax bill by using Jenny as bait.  I’ve coddled you, people are right, you’re spoilt, manipulative and just so self-centred without a shred of remorse for all you’ve done.  I’m curious what would you have said if Alice hadn’t cracked you across the face, what would you have said that Jack should’ve done to Brian?”

 

                “Uh Red…”  Carl looks stunned.

 

                “I’m not done!   Answer me!  What would you have said?”

 

                “I don’t remember, I was upset, I wasn’t…”

 

                “Fucking bullshit!”

 

                “Ma I don’t know where this has come from…”

 

                “You Michael it has come from you and your actions!  You bring this out of me!  And believe me it’s been a long time coming!  You call yourself Brian’s best friend…”

 

                “I am!  More than Justin!”

 

                “Really!  Do you know the difference between you and Justin when it comes to Brian?”

 

                “I’m a true friend to Brian…”

 

                “No!  You’re not!  A true friend would want him to be happy.  A true friend would accept his relationship and step back and let it nurture and grow and let them deal with the obstacles that came their way, not create them...”

 

                “What are you talking about now?!” 

 

I’m confused, I’ve never been on the receiving end of a tongue lashing from ma like this before

 

                “How did Brian find out about Ethan?”

 

                “I told him because he needed to know…”

 

                “No you told him because you knew exactly what he would do, he’d push Justin away and then he’d be what you wanted him to be.  Alone!  Needing you!  You could put him back in his little box and play with him when you wanted but have Ben at the same time.  Same as the cancer, oh you think I don’t know about that, you told Justin to respect his wishes and not mention it but the first available opportunity you went to him blubbering about how this would affect you!  What did Justin do?  Tell me Michael what did he do?  He called him on his bullshit, told him he was being a motherfucking bastard for not telling him and made him fight to live, he helped him, cleaned up after him and made him want to live.  And with Stockwell, the one thing that pissed me off when we gave him the check in Woody’s was how you and Lindsay were twittering round him but did either of you give him what he needed, like food, words of comfort no you just got on with your lives.  When you ran off with Hunter who did you run off to get help from…Brian…he had nothing but you still ran to him!  You left him without a car and then brought it back looking like it had gone through a swamp…but its okay, its Brian he doesn’t mind but he did mind, he minded a great deal!  You’ve taken him for granted for so long because of some misguided notion that he owed you…how did you get the store, how did you get the deposit for your house, how did you get through school?  I’ll tell you how Brian helped you.  And not once, not fucking once, did you say thanks or help him in anyway.  Oh wait my mistake, you went to China town with Justin…ooh big sacrifice!”

 

She takes a sip of coffee and clears her throat.

 

                “Well I’ve said my piece.  I understand you are there tomorrow, I will see you then.  You ready Carl?”

 

                “Uh yeah.”  He stammers

 

She goes over to the collections cabinet and looks at them carefully.

 

                “These are worth more than your daughter huh?”

 

I’m too shocked by her outburst to say anything and watch in silence as they leave.

 

BRITIN

 

KITCHEN

 

BRIAN

 

After Joshua had gone I had called the Treehouse and ended up chatting to Zee as Faal was out.  I tried to get her to tell me what she found but she refused.  Justin has been painting all day and although Alice had left us some tuna steaks, we weren’t in the mood.

 

                “What do you fancy?”  I ask him.

 

                “Apart from you?  I don’t know just not that.  Let’s pull out some menus.”

 

Just as we are about to do that, Vince comes in with a cool bag and a smile.

 

                “Evening gents.  Dinner is served.  Good night.”

 

We exchange confused looks and open the bag, inside is a note, cooking instructions and even wine recommendations.

 

An hour later, I’m watching a Justin almost lick his plate clean.

 

                “That was just what I needed.”  He sighs rubbing his belly.

 

I nod and raise my glass to him and we clear up before heading to the lounge and curling up on the sofa.

 

                “Shall we take the tuna tomorrow do you think?” 

 

                “Mmm, no, didn’t she give you the recipe for the tartare, maybe we can make that tomorrow and we can have it for lunch on Monday.”

 

                “Good idea.”

 

We stare into the fire in silence.

 

                “What are you going to do about Lindsay?  I mean when it’s all over what are you going to do?”

 

                “Nothing...”

 

                “What?  Why?  I want to peel her like a grape, roll her in salt, spit roast her over open flame and then kill her!  How can you want to do nothing?!”

 

                “Let me finish oh tempestuous and scarily psychotic one.  Nothing but marry you and live my life happy because she will no longer be in it.”

 

                “That’s what you said about Michael and he’s making a comeback.”  He grumbles.

 

                “No that’s only at for Jenny’s sake, he’s not involved in the rest of my life is he?”

 

                “Suppose not but you know he’s going to keep trying.”

 

                “And he’s going to keep failing.  Now all this talk about former friends is making my dick soft and we wouldn’t want that now would we?”

 

I waggle my eyebrows and slip his hand into my pants.

 

SUNDAY MID MORNING

 

TREEHOUSE

 

ZEE

 

I’m humming away having done eggy bread sandwiches for my boys, leaving them to warm whilst they finish up in the pool.  I’m going through the menu for today relieved that I’m cooking not cheffing here now and speaking of cheffing

 

                “Hey Emmy Lou.  You have a special ring tone of course.  Uh lunch as usual at two why?  Oh great no come earlier that’s perfect, okay see you doll!”

 

                “What’s perfect?” 

 

Faal asks coming in with Matt, Hunter had stayed with his dad after their lunch.

 

                “Emmy Lou wants to show me the appliances he’s picked out so he’s coming over earlier.  Eggy bread sandwiches in the oven.”

 

                “Yes!”  Matt dashes to the oven and in his haste almost forgets the mitts.

 

                “So what’s for lunch?”  Faal asks almost getting away with stealing some of Matt’s sandwich.

 

                “Well since the only people to benefit from it last time were Daph and Justin, crispy aromatic lamb, creamy asparagus soup with bacon crumbles or winter kale salad, duck tagine with clementines and chocolate pepper cookies…that do you?”

 

                “Definitely the salad, you know what Brian, Drew and Ben are like.  Luckily Taylor is with her mom today so Ben can have his meal without little hands in there, never eats off of Steve’s plate you notice.  Have you done the soup?  Okay then we can have that tomorrow with anything else that might be left…what it’s possible in another universe somewhere…”

 

Whilst Matt is laughing at his father the doorbell goes and there are Emmy Lou and Drew.

 

                “Where were you when you called?”

 

He has the good grace to look embarrassed.

 

                “Down the street…I couldn’t wait to show you.  Look!”

 

He spreads out the page and I gasp.  Faal comes over and grins.

 

                “So since we’re getting a new stove what’re we going to do with this one?”

 

SHADYSIDE – LUNCH TIME

 

JOSHUA

 

                “Right Carrie do you have everything?  I know this sounds bad but I’m kinda glad Sarah’s with your mom and that there’s a service, we can have more than one glass of wine each.”

 

                “Ooh two glasses of wine, let’s go crazy!  So what are Faal, Zee, Brian and Justin like?  I have to admit to being nervous.”

 

                “Don’t be, from what I saw of Faal and Zee they are good people.  And I wouldn’t represent Brian and Justin if they weren’t.  Don’t worry you are going to be fine.  Ah looks like the service is here.”

 

As I look across the street, I’m relieved not to see Michael’s car there, he is one very annoying man!

 

BROWNSTONE

 

LINDZ

 

                “Jenny your dad’s here!”

 

She comes down the stairs with Gus and they are deep in conversation.

 

                “Hi dad.”

 

                “Hi Honey…”

 

                “Dad, we’ve talked about this.”

 

                “Jenny, Gus how are you both, looking forward to lunch?”

 

                “Always.  Shotgun!”  Jenny yells as her phone beeps.

 

                “Hey no fair, we do that at the car!”  Gus objects.

 

                “Oh I thought we do it when we see the car…”  She looks guilty.

 

                “Wait your phone beeped!  Is it Graham?  Aww come on J, let me ride up front please!”

 

                “But I might be tired on the way back!”  Jenny protests as she follows him outside.

 

                “Ah it’s Graham I take it?”  Mel comes in grinning

 

I nod and roll my eyes, Michael looks confused.

 

                “What’s so special about Graham?”  He asks.

 

                “He always drives a stick and he lets them practice their gear changes.”  I explain.

 

                “What!  Jenny’s not old enough to drive!  That’s so dangerous!”  He cries and dashes outside.

 

                “Had to go with the truth there didn’t you.”  Mel sighs and follows him out.

 

                “I said no Jenny now get in the back.  You too Gus, you are not doing this whilst I’m in the car!”

 

I’m taken aback by that remark but soon it is forgotten as I lock up and we head to lunch.

 

TREEHOUSE

 

ZEE

 

Emmy Lou has great taste, we’re ahead of schedule on the refit and it looks like we should be able to open, by next Monday, the boys will be getting a bonus, subject to final inspection.  And on top of that I get a purple stove for here, result, but he’s right what the hell do I do with this one!

 

The doorbell going stops my musings but may have brought me a solution to my problem.

 

                “Debs darling girl!”  I cry enveloping her in a hug.

 

                “Okay, before you start on the soft soaping I need a drink.” 

 

I look across at Carl and he mouths Michael.

 

                “Okay what’ll it be?” 

 

                “Anything with an ABV above 12%.”

 

                “Debs you wound me, as if I would have such cats piss in my humble abode, 13.5% minimum in here for the wine and 7% for beer if you please!”

 

I pour her a glass of rich merlot and hand Carl a beer. 

 

                “Have a look at this.” 

 

I show her the page of ranges, Emmy Lou has already ordered the ones for the test kitchens, mine is purple his is light orange and show her my soon to be new stove.

 

                “Uh they’re very nice honey…”

 

                “This leads me to a small but very shiny problem.”  I tell her turning her to my stove.

 

It takes her a few minutes to realise what I’m suggesting.

 

                “You want me to buy this?  We can’t afford to buy this from you even at cost!”

 

                “Uh Red, I think she’s giving it to you.”  Carl looks at me and I nod and smile.

 

She looks at me in shock.

 

                “You’d be doing me a huge favour…”

 

                “But that would stand out like a sore thumb!”  She protests stroking it.

 

                “Faal!  I want to offer Debs our stove but she thinks it will clash with the current décor…”

 

                “Then redo her kitchen!”

 

                “Thanks geliefde!”

 

I turn back to her and Carl and she’s sobbing in his arms.

 

                “Of happiness I hope?”

 

She sniffles and nods.

 

                “Emmy Lou, you need to come help Debs choose a kitchen!”

 

Within seconds they are pouring over appliances, counter tops and I’m making a call to Baz.

 

The next to arrive are Jennifer and Tucker and they take them and the catalogue to the lounge.  Ben and Steve arrive with Hunter, then Joshua and his wife Carrie, I introduce them to everyone and explain we are waiting for just a few more people.

 

Alice comes in snickering with George carrying Lilah and Milo, shaking his head.

 

                “They making out?” 

 

                “Mmm, they could be a while.”  She replies.

 

Lilah and Milo dash into the back kitchen and immediately tuck into their food, before making their way to their usual spots in the lounge.

 

Brian and Justin come in and snag a glass of champagne each and grin like schoolboys, I tell him that Joshua has arrived so he goes to see him.

 

And finally, Mel, Lindz the kids and Michael arrive.  But the kids do not look happy.

 

                “Hey sonny boy…”  Brian queries, he ruffles his hair.  “You okay what’s happened?”

 

                “Him.”  He glowers at Michael and then leads Jenny out calling for Matt and Hunter.

 

                “Um?”  I ask Mel

 

                “They had to sit in the back.”  She explains.

 

                “Why I asked for Graham, I always ask for Graham when it’s you guys, didn’t they send him?”

 

                “Oh yes, they sent him.  But, unfortunately, Michael refused to let either of them sit up front.”

 

                “Why?  I ask him.

 

                “Because it’s dangerous for them to change gears whilst another person is driving obviously.”

 

                “Ordinarily I would agree but that’s the point of Graham he has a dual stick shift, so they just copy what he does, it doesn’t affect the car at all.”  Brian snaps.

 

                “Well I didn’t know that, as once again nobody told me!”  He snaps back.  “This is what I mean, I should’ve been told about this!”

 

                “Well now you know and one other thing, you exert what little authority you have with your kid not mine.”  Brian stalks back to the lounge without a backward glance.

 

                “Brian wait, I need to talk to you!”  Lindz calls out and follows him.

 

                “You can use the office!”  I call out.

 

                “Thanks Zee.  Come on let’s get this over with, so I can enjoy the rest of my day.”

 

OFFICE

 

BRIAN

 

                “So?  What do you want Lindsay?”

 

                “To apologise?”

 

                “For what?”

 

                “The way I treated Gus, I know how disappointed you were in me and I want to assure you that I would never disappoint you again, I can’t bear for you to be angry with me, please Peter please.”

 

                “Did you apologise to Gus?”

 

                “We’ve agreed to put it behind us.” 

 

She puts her hand on my arm and I fight the temptation to wrench it away.

 

                “Fine then I will do the same, but if it happens again.”

 

                “It won’t Peter, I promise you, I promise.”

 

                “Then let’s go enjoy the rest of our day W-Wendy.”

 

She grins at me and I let her out first.

 

I head back to the kitchen and find that Ted and Blake have just arrived.  As I help myself to another glass of merlot having decided to give myself tomorrow off, Joshua comes in.

 

                “I can’t get away from that fucking man!”  He gripes and pours himself a large glass of wine.

 

                “Uh Josh?”

 

                “I feel like I’m being fucking stalked!”  He mumbles seemingly unaware that he has company.

 

                “Earth to Josh!”  I say louder.

 

                “Brian!  Sorry.  Oh we have to have a meeting again need to show you some…”

 

                “Hi Joshua, what a small world this is!”  Michael exclaims bringing Carrie along with him.

 

                “Brian, I would like you to meet a couple of my neighbours, this is Joshua and his lovely wife, Carrie, this is Brian, Brian Kinney he runs Kinnetic Inc.  One of the top advertising agencies in Pittsburgh.  Tell me how you know Zee and…”

 

Right on cue Zee comes in ladened with a drinks tray.

 

                “Zee, I was just saying to Brian, Joshua and Carrie what a small world it is.  How did you come to meet Joshua, he’s my neighbour.”

 

                “He handled a private matter for me and we became friends from there.”  She explains.

 

                “Ah I see.” 

 

He settles down on the stool and this reminds me of when he came in to buy back his store, just then Carl comes in the front door with Faal and a tape measure.

 

                “What are you doing and where have you been?”  I ask glad of the interruption.

 

                “Measuring the stove to compare sizes, hah I told you, $20 please!”  Faal crows

 

                “Excuse me Faal we have to measure both across and along…dammit here.”  He hands him a $20

 

I indicate to Joshua and he follows me out bringing a relieved Carrie with him, he ushers her into the lounge and I pull him into the office signalling Justin.

 

OFFICE

 

BRIAN

 

                “What the fuck was that about?”  I demand.

 

                “What the fuck was what about?  Somebody want to catch me up?” 

 

Justin asks looking adorably confused but still managing to be eating an eggy bread sandwich, I look hopeful and he gives me half.

 

                “That’s my idiot neighbour Michael something Bruckner, how the hell does Zee know him?”

 

                “His last name is Novotny now.  And he’s Jenny’s dad.  She and Mel live in Zee’s condo with Lindz and Gus.”  I explain.  “And he’s only here because Jenny wants him here, wait, is he the Michael you were telling me about the one that thinks you’re having an affair with a man?!”

 

                “The one and the same, and he keeps giving me this creepy smile, makes me want to heave!”

 

Justin and I start to laugh. 

 

                “As a matter of interest who’s the guy you are supposedly cosying up with?”  I ask.

 

                “Charles, he’s the partner of his ex, David,   What?  Why do you look like that, do you know either of them?”

 

                “Yep, they were both at our engagement dinner and Michael had a run in with both of them apparently.  And Jenny is in like-like with Hank, David’s son.”

 

                “Fuck!”  Josh breathes out and then grins.

 

                “Come on let’s go back out.”  I chortle at Michael’s continued stupidity.

 

KITCHEN

 

ZEE

 

                “Michael, earth to Michael.  You okay, you zoned out there for a bit.”

 

Frankly I was relieved that he wasn’t speaking but that smile is creeping me out.

 

                “Huh, oh yeah, um why are you measuring the stove though?”

 

                “We’re getting the kitchen done…”

 

Before Carl could finish, Debs come bustling in.

 

                “Well will it fit?”  She asks excitedly.

 

                “Like a glove Red.” 

 

                “Great!  Look, what do you think of these countertops with those cupboards and splashbacks?  Ems said about splashbacks.”  She flicks quickly through the pages.

 

                “Oh so you can get the kitchen done but you can’t help your only son and grand…”

 

                “You’re going to shut up now Michael.”  Debs clips out.  “We are not having this conversation here, you want to discuss that then you come to the house.  Now Carl, what do you think?”

 

                “I think maybe the red splashbacks to go with my beautiful wife.  Zee are you…okay, okay forget I was going to ask!”  Carl holds his hands up in mock surrender in face of my glare.

 

Faal wraps his arms round me and mutters in my ear; I grin and nod.

 

                “Right everyone that is not helping me cook get out of my kitchen.”  I order.

 

Soon I’m alone with Debs.

 

                “And that was about?”  I ask quietly.

 

                “Him as usual.  Look, can we not talk about this, I just want to have a good time okay?”

 

I nod and give her a squeeze, she goes back to flicking through the catalogue, and I have to admit to being surprised at her restraint colour wise, with the splashbacks being the only flash of colour.

 

                “Flooring.”

 

                “Oh yes I want to floor him right now, he fucking deserves…”

 

                “No I meant, kitchen flooring, I think laminate might be good?”

 

She cackles and heads back to, no doubt, find Emmy Lou.

 

There is a soft knocking at the front door and I open it shushing them and pushing them into the back kitchen and shutting the door.  Heading the lounge I’m happy to find that everyone is in one place, and I nod at Faal. 

 

                “Jenny honey, can you come give me a hand for a minute?”

 

                “Wait!  Is there going to be tasting of food involved?”  Justin demands

 

                “No, Justin, there is not, can I take her now?”  I tease him.

 

                “You may.”  He replies settling back into Brian’s arms.

 

                “Can I help instead?  Leave Jenny with Milo, is it, who looks very comfortable right now” 

 

Carrie calls out, she’s been corralled by Lindz and is looking somewhat desperate.

 

                “Sure come on.”

 

Once we’re back in the kitchen, I waved the bottle at her, she nods vigorously.

 

                “How do you know Lindz?”  I ask as I set up the glasses for the bubbles.

 

                “Know her parents and her sister.  Have for years…”

 

She looks over her shoulder.

 

                “Such pretentious twits.  And I don’t wish to speak ill but she seems to…”

 

                “Have a keen eye for Faal, yeah I’d noticed.”  I sigh.  “When you take the glasses in, can you put them on the table by the cart?  And can you send Jenny in for me.  Ooh one more thing, if you want to avoid a corralling, ask her about how she spent New Year’s Eve.”

 

She frowns but heads out.

 

                “What can I do for you Aunt Zee?”  Jenny bounces in, looking happier.

 

                “You can get drinks from the back kitchen for me, some beers, get about 10 bottles a mix okay?”

 

She nods and heads in her scream is immediately silenced.  Quickly I follow her in and shut the door.

 

                “Okay.  Jenny, you have 5 minutes of quiet squealing and then you go back there as if nothing has happened understand?  Do not say a word to anybody.  I need you to contain yourself okay?”

 

                “Mmmm!  Mmmm!”  She’s wriggling and bouncing at the same time, how is that possible?

 

I grab the beers and take them in.  Five minutes later she’s back in the lounge and heads straight for Debs to give her opinion on the kitchen.

 

                “Ladies and gentlemen, grab a flute, Emmy Lou and I have an announcement to make, hence the good stuff bubbles and beers if you prefer.”

 

Once everyone has a drink, I clear my throat.

 

                “As you, well most of you know, Emmy Lou and I are doing catering together, well we’ve bought some space at the top of Liberty Avenue to use as a base, three lots, one of them being the Fienman Gallery.  The reno is done, well pretty much done, and we hope to have the refurb done by next Friday and launch party the following Friday.  To which you are all ordered to come, so I want you to raise your glasses to our new catering home…uh what are we calling it?” 

 

                “Shit!  In all of that we hadn’t thought of a joint name!”  Emmy Lou giggles.

 

                “You’ve got a week, you two beauties will think of something.  To Emmy Lou and Zee’s whatever the fuck it’s called!  Congratulations and cheers!”

 

                “Congratulations and cheers!”  They all toast us.

 

                “Why did you buy the Fienman Gallery?  That space could’ve been used for showcasing great art?” 

 

Lindz asks petulantly.

 

                “Are you saying that only paintings should be regarded as art Lindz?”  Ted asks.  “Art comes in many forms, paintings, music, film, everything, and with these two it’s food, you could give them three random ingredients and they would make something exquisite.  And that’s an art, a skill and something I wish I had…though they have given me 5 core recipes that I can now do without their help, well not all the time…”

 

The room is silent, waiting for Lindz to say something, Ted doesn’t say much but when he does watch out!

 

                “Theodore Schmidt, defender of caterers everywhere.  To Theodore!”  Brian calls out

 

                “To Theodore!”  We raise our glasses.

 

I find myself blinking back tears and giving Ted a smile, he raises his flute to me and smiles back.

 

                “Right time to eat methinks, to the dining room!”  Faal calls out.

 

DINING ROOM

 

FAAL

 

Again she’s done wonders with the table, going with a Moroccan/Chinese theme in honour of the dishes.  Everyone takes their usual seats, with Michael right down the end opposite George.

 

                “So the dishes are creamy asparagus soup with bacon crumbles, winter kale salad, crispy aromatic lamb with pancakes, duck tagine with clementines and for dessert chocolate pepper cookies with Amarula liqueur.  It will be served family style, be right back.”

 

The room buzzes with low conversation and she comes in with her helpers and then Brian smiles and nudges Justin who was talking animatedly to Emmy Lou.

 

                “What?”  He asks turning immediately to Brian.

 

                “Check out the waiter, hot piece of ass…”

 

                “Brian, you can’t…Daphne!” 

 

He yells and dashes down the room almost knocking her over.

 

                “Brian when did you do this?!  Can everyone move down please!  And Vince you are fired!”

 

Everyone burst out laughing and shifts down, with Vince taking his seat opposite Michael.

 

                “Not me, I had nothing to do with this.”

 

                “Actually it was us, we figured you needed a smile so here she is.”  I tell him.

 

                “How long are you here for?  When did you get here?  Where…”  Justin gabbles

 

                “Tuesday.  Saturday night.  With Vince…not one word…and we can catch up on the rest later, let’s eat!”  Daphne grins.

 

                “Hang on a minute.  Zee is that why you called in Jenny?”  Mel giggles.

 

                “Indeed, we had to get this little firecracker contained so sorry Justin she saw her first.  Now come on people dig in!” 

 

                “Ah that explains her almost vibrating on the sofa then.”  Ben teases her smiling.

 

                “Papa! I do not vibrate!”

 

                “Uh J, yeah you do!  And you had that Cheshire cat/Mona Lisa smile thing going on.”  Matt adds.

 

                “Mom a little help here!”

 

Laughter erupts and we start to eat, the meal passes without incident, no need for “breathing” orders either. 

 

                “Oh gosh, as per usual you have done me proud my liefling vrou…and yes they’re in the car Justin before...” 

 

                “Uh sorry, this is our first time here so we don’t quite…”  Joshua interrupts.

 

                “Oh of course, sorry.  Emmy Lou, Zee, Alice and Debs are the cooks of this little family.  But when it comes to Zee’s cooking she always makes extra for Emmy Lou and Justin, Emmy Lou for work critique and Justin because he would pout if he didn’t get it…”

 

                “And I don’t want that, trust me.”  Brian calls down.

 

                “So every dish she cooks she gives it to them?”  Carrie is amazed.

 

                “No sadly, not every dish, there are family ones that no amount of begging, pleading, crying or saying I will turn down my flame will get me…and speaking of which the pie had better be in there!” 

 

Emmy Lou turns to me and I nod, he claps his hands happily.

 

                “There’s one more thing…as you most of you know after Hunter’s oh so very successful hosting my Aunt and Uncle were here and they gave me a bequest of a place in Portland and someone suggested that we all go there and I wondered if you guys were serious because we have a couple free weekend in February, Valentines and the weekend after and we would love it if you came with us…”

 

                “You don’t celebrate Valentine’s Day?”  Lindz is surprised.

 

                “Not during the day no.  We see it as any other day, as we know we love each other very much.  Valentine’s Day night though, I bring out the big guns.”  She grins at me.  “And he tends to need another day to recover.”

 

                “Mom!”  Matt groans.

 

                “So what do you guys say, there’ll be no flight costs and it seems the place can easily accommodate us all?”

 

                “All?”  Michael echoes.

 

I see the quick grimace as she realises what she’s just done.

 

                “Contingent on behaviour being acceptable in the run up, then yes.”

 

He smiles across at Joshua and Brian shakes his head.  Jenny is beaming and vibrating.

 

                “Well since we are announcing stuff, it’s our turn.” 

 

Brian stands bringing a blushing Justin with him.

 

                “We’ve at least settle on a month, well months, to get married.  We just need to find a venue but block off the last weekend in March and the first two weekends in April.”

 

                “Oh my God sweetheart that’s wonderful!  I’m so happy for you!”  Jennifer cries hugging Justin.

 

                “Oh my goodness, we need to start planning rehearsal dinner, bachelor parties and pampering weekends.  Daph you and I are in charge of that!  Wait let me get my diary!”  Emmy Lou squeals

 

                “Guess we’ve found our wedding planners Sunshine.”

 

                “But I thought you were going for a summer wedding.”  Lindz pipes up.

 

                “We changed our minds.”  He shrugs.

 

                “I hope that the last announcement of the day as I can’t take any more excitement!”  Debs laughs.

 

                “Kids are on table clearing and then we do pud, a bit later, as I don’t know about anyone else but I’m stuffed.”  Carl orders and heads to the lounge.

 

Before we get there, Brian calls Zee and I into the office, ten minutes later we come out and she’s grinning.

 

                “Joshua and Carrie may I have a word?”

 

OFFICE

 

JOSHUA

 

                “Zee, its fine obviously you didn’t mean to include us in that announcement so…”

 

                “Are you kidding me?  After what Brian’s just told me you are coming end of discussion.  Ben and Steve have a little girl called Taylor so Sarah will be fine.  Besides, you wouldn’t deny me the opportunity to watch Michael make a berk out of himself would you, I thought you were my friend?”

 

                “Uh berk?”  Carrie asks.

 

                “Yeah, it’s not a compliment, doesn’t mean you’re an idiot and is rhyming slang, google Berkshire Hunt, but most folk just say berk.  See you back there.”  She grins and leaves us to it.

 

                “Oooohh!”  Carrie squeals and blushes.

 

LOUNGE

 

MICHAEL

 

“I can’t believe they are getting married earlier.  Well that is not going to happen, I said at the time they announced this farce and I will say it again, not going to happen what do you think?”

 

“I agree, this wedding can’t happen then.”  Lindz replies.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review constructively and kindly.  Thank you xx