- Text Size +

CHAPTER 25 – THE ADVENTURES OF PAPA BEAR, PITBULL, BLAKE & TED

 

MEL

 

                “What!  Seriously what!  You’re kidding me!”

 

I look at Brian and Justin and they are grinning and judging by the expression on Jenny’s face this is the first she’s heard about it.

 

                “Oh mom!  You get to come too, I’m so pleased!”

 

                “And there is one more thing…”  Brian adds.

 

CARL

 

                “No there’s no more thing.  Look, these two have had a long day and are very tired.  We can pick this up tomorrow but right now, everyone goes home.   Remind me where are we tomorrow and is it an overnight?”

 

                “I think it’s us.  Yes it’s us, because it was supposed to be Britin last weekend but then it was PB&Q. So let’s start fresh.  With us and an overnight, but come late afternoon yes?”  Faal replies.

 

                “Great.  I think I can see at least 3 service cars out there, Faal and Zee take the first one, Emmy Lou and Drew take the second and…”

 

I look at the pained expressions on my grandkids faces then Faal catches my eye and winks.

 

                “The kids had a busy day too, why not let them come with us?”  Faal suggests

 

                “Right that’s settled then.  As I said, the second car is for Emmy Lou and Drew and ah it seems the rest of the cars are here.  So let’s get this cleared up properly, not you two, and everyone go home.”

 

Everyone, albeit a reluctant Michael and Lindz, helps with the close down.

 

                “Oh actually, I do have a couple of things to say.”  Zee announces.  “One we are getting a phone for the fucking larder and two what or who the hell is PB&Q?”

 

                “Papa Bear and Queen.  And that’s our cue, come on kids when she can’t get acronyms you know she’s tired, see you guys tomorrow!”  Faal calls out and they’re gone.

 

                “Michael how did you get here?” 

 

                “Took a cab.”

 

                “Right in that case you can ride with us and then the car takes you home.  Mel and Lindz can you share with Ben and Steve?  Everyone else okay to sort themselves out, great, goodnight and see you tomorrow!”

 

CAR SERVICE TO BEN & HUNTER’S & THE BROWNSTONE

 

LINDZ

 

                “Good night guys see you tomorrow.”

 

                “Good night Mel, Lindz see you tomorrow.” 

 

Ben smiles and closes the car door, I watch a little enviously as he walks hand and hand with Steve to his house.

 

The rest of the journey to the Brownstone is in silence and once we get indoors, I turn to her.

 

You must be feeling pretty pleased?”  I turn to Mel.

 

                “Yeah, the evening was a great success and I’m happy for them, but I sure as fuck didn’t know about the weekend in New York.  Now before you spin this into a row, it’s late, I’m tired and I’m going to bed.  Goodnight Lindsay.”

 

She goes upstairs leaving me alone to brood on that and my meeting with Sydney on Monday. 

 

CAR SERVICE TO DEBS & CARL’S

 

DEBS

 

                “Hey Matthew, how have you been, haven’t seen you in a while?  Can you drop off at Shadyside first please?”

 

                “Sure Mrs H.  Did you have a good evening?”

 

                “Yes it was excellent very good.  How’s Billy did you get a second date?”

 

                “And a third, fourth and fifth.  In fact we are officially a couple.”

 

                “Remind me who’s Billy again?”  Carl asks.

 

                “Six foot, leather queen works the doors at Meat Hook.”  I reply.

 

                “Oh the friend of Grizz?”  He asks.

 

                “That’s him.”  I chuckle.  

 

                “We’re here Mrs H.”

 

CAR SERVICE TO TED & BLAKE’S

 

BLAKE

 

                “What’s bothering you?”

 

                “I don’t know I just have a horrible feeling about this weekend.”

 

                “I’m sure you just over tired.”  I kiss him gently.

 

                “I hope so Lieutenant Burn, I hope so.”

 

BRITIN

 

KITCHEN – SATURDAY MORNING

 

ALICE

 

I’m flicking through my cookbook trying to work out what to cook for tonight that can carry over till tomorrow and decide to call Debs.

 

                “Hey it’s Alice.  Oh you too, I was hoping you would have some ideas.  After last night’s veritable feast I’m not quite sure what…sorry what did Carl just say.  No, no, that’s it that’s perfect!” 

 

I quickly hang up and hope and pray that Larry and Patrice have some

 

                “George, I need you to go to the butchers and fishmongers pick up the orders I’ve just placed.”

 

                “Finally got inspiration then?”

 

                “Yes, amazingly enough it was Carl talking about Michael that inspired me!”

 

TREEHOUSE

 

MASTER BEDROOM

 

FAAL

 

Now that is one tired out chef, she insisted on making hot chocolate for the kids before bed and much to their delight they got a tot of choice as well. 

 

I can’t begin to describe how proud I am of her and Emmy Lou, she wasn’t going to speak last night but once Emmy put her on the spot she had no choice.  She’s right about one thing though they are getting a phone for inside the larder, I was so fucking frightened!

 

                “Faal?”

 

                “Mmm.”

 

                “You do realise that by saying overnight you’ve also invited Michael?”

 

                “Oh mother of fucking shit!”  I cry.  “My lig, I didn’t think, I’m sorry!”

 

                “Don’t worry about it, I fucked it over Portland remember?”

 

She clambers over me and pulls me to the bathroom, whilst brushing her teeth she rubs her eyes tiredly.

 

                “Ouch, let me get you some drops.  And then straight back to bed with you.”

 

Although she goes back to bed, she reaches for her new work phone and starts to scroll through emails, despite my growl of impatience.

 

                “You can always go downstairs and make breakfast…”

 

I head downstairs and am surprised to find Gus and Jenny already up talking excitedly about something.

 

                “Too much energy.”  I grumble and earn a dig in my ribs from Gus for my trouble.

 

                “We’re teenagers what do you expect!  She still sleeping?”  He asks.

 

                “No.  So what you buzzing about?”

 

                “We get to cook in here this evening with grandma, Nana Jen and Alice and…papa bear!”

 

I almost choke on my juice.

 

                “Papa bear!  He’s going to cook?” 

 

                “Yep and…”

 

Whatever Jenny was going to say was cut off by the doorbell.

 

        “Drew, Emmy Lou what are you guys doing here?” 

 

I let them in and although Emmy Lou looks tired, Drew looks pissed off.

 

                “Despite him needing to get some rest he’s been up early morning making appointments...”

 

                “Emmy go upstairs, she’s been at it too.”

 

Emmy Lou claps his hands and dashes upstairs calling her name.

 

                “You sure this partnership was a good idea?”  He grumbles.

 

                “You don’t think it is Uncle Drew?  I thought it was a great success.”  Jenny looks worried.

 

                “Of course I do sweetheart, I was just teasing, I just don’t want them overstretching themselves.”

 

She nods happy with that answer and then grins.

 

                “So you just don’t want them to work before Monday?”  She asks.

 

We both nod.

 

                “I think I have an idea.  Uncle Faal I don’t suppose you have the number for Joshua who we met the last time we were here?”

 

                “Yes why?”

 

                “May I have it please and you’ll see.”

 

BROWNSTONE

 

LINDZ

 

                “Michael, its Lindz.  I’ve been thinking, we don’t need to worry about the weekend in New York, no hear me out, Brian said that they could take a guest, well it’s obvious isn’t it?  Gus will take me and Jenny will take you.  I know I’m so excited!  Have you been looking online, I’ve already got the massages planned out.  Look I’ve got to go, see you later.”

 

Mel pads into the kitchen.

 

                “What time are we supposed to be there?”  She asks

 

                “Where?  Oh the Treehouse, I’ve no idea, suppose I should call Faal and find out.”

 

                “You should but you won’t.  Faal, it’s Mel, I know it was great, listen ah okay, right, no problem I’ll give him a call.  See you later.”

 

                “Well?”

 

                “Justin is sorting out the cars, you need to speak to him.  Oh what did Sydney want?”

 

                “Huh?  When?”

 

                “Last night, you and he went outside for a bit, what did he want?”

 

                “Oh right.  Well I wanted to announce it tonight, but he wants them to do the catering for the surrealist show in August.”

 

                “What!  Are you kidding me; that’s fantastic!”

 

                “I know, obviously I will co-host with him, I thought I would suggest them you know to give their little business a boost, I had no idea he would want them for that.  Now I need to put in a call to Justin and then call Faal.”

 

                “Why do you need to call Faal?”  She asks.

 

                “Well I need to know what to pack for tomorrow, is the cashmere pyjamas or…”

 

                “No, it isn’t.  If it was that he would’ve said last night.  All he said was overnight.  Look just call Justin and sort the cars out.  I’m going to pack for the kids…I’m so proud of them for all they did last night.”

 

SHADYSIDE

 

CARRIE

 

                “Smalling residence.  Yes this is she, it’s…oh hi Jenny; how are you sweetheart?  How was the launch last night, we were so disappointed we couldn’t come.  Oh that’s very sweet you didn’t have to save us goodie bags!  Yes, I can recommend several types of massage but I think you…oh for Zee and Emmett!  I should think a destress one would be perfect in fact I know someone that does home visits, he and his wife do Joshua and I.  Let me call them and call you back.”

 

SHADYSIDE

 

MICHAEL

 

Finally, life is going my way for a change!  I’ve been given a date for the result of my appeal and I’m so excited for April, first Portland and now this!  I have been trying to get ma to swap display cases with me this morning but she’s refused, saying that her collection needs it more than mine, what she fails to realise is that my collection won’t always be this small. 

 

RED CAPE COMICS

 

STUART

 

Blake came in this morning with Ted to go over the books and they are very pleased.  We’ve had to take on a new member of staff and some of his ideas have been incredible.  One of them is today, when he suggested it to Blake I almost fell over and today’s the day!

 

                “Oh hello again, its Michael isn’t it?”

 

                “Yes.  How have you been Stuart any relapses?”

 

I frown at him.

 

                “Relapses?”

 

                “Yes but everyone deserves a second chance don’t they.  Birds of a feather flock together as they say, I doubt with your history anybody else would hire you.”

 

                “I’m not sure what you are talking about but in about 15 minutes the store is going to be closed for a private function, so if you could make your purchases quickly or leave.”

 

                “Now, now Stuart, you mustn’t get testy, I just want to look upstairs and as the customer I can take as long as I want.”

 

MICHAEL

 

I head upstairs and realise where I saw the display cases that mom has, they were here!  I dash downstairs.

 

                “Stuart the collectibles that were upstairs where are they?!”  I demand.

 

                “We’ve sold them.” 

 

                “What do you mean you’ve sold them, all of them?!”

 

                “Yes.  Now what did you mean about relapses?”

 

                “Never mind that now.  Who did you sell them to?!”

 

                “A private collector, he took the lot and I can get you the information to you on Monday, now unless you have a ticket you really must leave.”

 

                “Ticket, why the hell would I need a ticket?”

 

I take a deep breath and paste a smile on my face, whilst trying not to exercise my Vulcan/Darth Vader death grip…yeah I’m a total geek!

 

                “For the private event I mentioned earlier.  Ah Mr Byrne and Mr Lee, it’s a pleasure to meet you, thank you for coming.”

 

                “Stuart, right?  Well you can call me John and I’ve known him long enough to say you can call him Jim.  Where do we set up?”

 

I stand there in shock.  John Byrne and Jim Lee, two of the greatest comic book illustrators are standing in front of me!  Stuart comes round the counter and shows them upstairs, two minutes later he’s back down grinning.

 

                “Can you believe it, they’re here they’re actually here!  Now really Michael you have to go.”

 

                “But...it’s…”

 

                “Stuart is there a problem?”

 

I cringe and turn round to face Arnold, one of the bouncers from Babylon.

 

                “What are you doing here; didn’t have you down as a comic book fan.”

 

                “I’m not.  I’m here as a favour to Ted and Blake, now as Stuart said, you need to be going now.”

 

                “I can buy a ticket right now!”  I beg.

 

                “Michael, the teach-in with John Byrne and Jim Lee was sold out within about 2 hours.  However, you can buy an online ticket at $10…”

 

                “And go upstairs…”

 

                “No, the line outside the door get to go upstairs, the online ticket means…

 

                “I know what it means Stuart!  Can’t I watch it from your laptop or office?!”

               

                “No clearly you don’t know what it means.  The online ticket only works from 1800 tonight.”

 

                “Tonight?”

 

                “Yes, obviously they have to protect their works, their copyright and can’t have any recordings, now please leave, if you don’t I shall ban you from the store for 2 weeks.”

 

                “Ban?  You can’t ban me this is…”

 

                “He said leave, you leave.  Now do you want help or can you manage?”  Arnold asks.

 

                “I can manage!” 

 

I stomp out and take a look at the queue and it is huge as I walk down I spot Phil.

 

                “Phil!  Hey how are you, I didn’t know you were coming to this!”

 

                “Isn’t it great, I can’t believe they are here, such a coup isn’t it?”

 

                “Mind if I wait with you?”

 

                “No of course not.  Man I can’t believe it, I got a ticket.  Which you choose?”

 

                “Choose?”

 

                “Yeah your entry tattoo, what did you choose?”

 

My heart sinks there is no way I can get into it even if Arnold was distracted. 

 

TREEHOUSE

 

UPPER LOUNGE

 

DREW

 

                “You’re lucky you’re married and straight, I know that face on him!  And you’ve only done his feet!”

 

                “Well instead of watching why don’t you come do?” Tony points out.

 

After Jenny spoke to Carrie, she recommended Tony and his wife Melissa for destressing massages for Zee and Ems. 

 

                “Seriously?”  Faal and I say together.

 

                “Yeah we can tandem massage.  What that means is that your hands go under our hands and we guide you?  Want to try?”

 

                “Say no and I will divorce you and send you your motorbike piece by piece.”  Zee mumbles.

 

                “Okay first let’s see where we need to work.  Jesus what did you guys do last night.  I’ve never felt such knots!”  Melissa asks.

 

                “Emmett is just as bad.  Were you guys on the phone a lot this morning, you seem to have mobile neck and that’s not a compliment.”  Tony grouses

 

                “Oh last night they had the launching of their catering company just off Liberty Avenue and…”

 

                “Wait.”  Tony peers at Ems again.  “Not Em&Zee’s House of Delights?”

 

                “Yeah that’s them.  How’d you know?”  Faal asks

 

                “We were there!  We came with friends.  Oh my God the food!  The confit bao bun, I would turn up for that alone!”  Melissa smiles.

 

                “For me from a purely holistic point of view the chickpea and kale salad but from a caveman point of view, I think I cleared half the wings by myself.”

 

                “At the risk of sounding like a needy queen, less talking more tandemming!”  Ems grumbles.

 

BRITIN – MID AFTERNOON

 

BRIAN

 

                “Justin, will you please stop sulking over this?”

 

                “I’m not sulking!  I just don’t see why we can’t have some now.”

 

                “Simple.  Because you won’t have ‘some’ you will have all.  And besides we have to go soon, Debs has prepared other appetisers to soothe that beast of yours”

 

                “But…”

 

I love this man with all my heart but when it comes to food, especially food that Emmy Lou and Zee cook he can work my last nerve, to quote Alice, currently he’s bitching about not being able to have the escabeche of mackerel that didn’t make it to the menu last night.

 

                “It will still be here when we get home.  Now come on!”

 

I tug him firmly out of the kitchen and shove him to the front door.  I turn and wink at George, who nods and quickly heads back to the kitchen, this way I at least get to have more than a forkful and when he realises tomorrow night I can say that it needed more curing time.

 

DEBS & CARL’S

 

                “Red you ready!” 

 

                “Yeah, let’s do this.  Jen’s got the veggies, you’ve got whatever the fuck that concoction is and Alice has the pork knuckle, you know I’ve never had that.  Seriously Carl what is that, it looks like…”

 

                “Sludge with bits of rock?”  I suggest

 

She winces and then nods.

 

                “You’ll see.”  I smile.  “Car’s here, oh I agreed to share with Mel and Lindz just to…”

 

                “Oh that’s good, what just on the way there or the way back as well?”

 

                “Back as well.”

 

TREEHOUSE

 

ZEE

 

I’m currently in a state of bliss, Emmy Lou and I have been poured onto the sofa, top to tail, in our cashmere PJs and matching socks and I don’t even care that they’ve taken our phones away.

 

I hear the door go and then Brian’s voice

 

                “Jesus Christ what happened to you and I mean that in you-look-well-fucked way?”  He laughs.

 

                “Tony and Melissa tandemming with Drew and Faal happened and it was heaven.”  I answer.

 

                “Who knew you could feel so good when someone pulls your toes.”  Emmy Lou sighs.

 

                “Okay…uh Faal are they high?”

 

                “No they just had a destressing massage from people that were recommended by Carrie and are feeling no pain.  Lig do we have a salmon poacher?  Alice wants to know.”

 

                “Okay I’m up.”

 

                “No you’re not, you can simply answer the question and then tell me where it is, I mean it you are not cooking this weekend…and that includes helping!”

 

                “Yes and it’s in the back kitchen bottom drawer.”

 

I watch them go out and leave us in ‘peace’.

 

                “Emmy Lou?  Emmy!”

 

                “What’s up sweetie?”

 

                “Tandem toenail painting?  Now that is guaranteed to keep us anchored to the sofa and I have a whole set of Chanel and…”

 

He sits bolt upright, rips off his socks and heads to the door.

 

                “Where, where are they?!” 

 

KITCHEN

 

ALICE

 

                “What the hell was that noise?  It sounded like a herd of elephants just now.”

 

                “Let me go check.”  Drew heads to the lounge.

 

                “We have a runner!”  He calls out.  “Going to find him.”

 

5 minutes later, he has a giggling Emmett over his shoulder clutching a box and a vanity case.

 

                “What is in there?”  I ask.

 

                “Chanel nail varnish in here and this is her mani-pedi case, we are going to paint our toenails…Drewsie can you put me down please.”

 

                “Toenails you’re going to do your toenails?”  I can hear the hopeful tone in Jenny’s voice.

 

                “Yes…ooh bubbles, can you put a bottle and a couple of glasses on a tray for us please Gus…it seems that your Aunt Zee treated herself and has the entire selection so since we are tasked with relaxing this is what we are going to do.  Now come-come young manservant.”

 

Gus giggles and follows him out, Jenny’s eyes follow as do Justin’s.

 

                “If you two promise to help tomorrow you can scoot?”

 

                “Promise!”  They both yell and are gone.

 

                “You spoil him Alice.”  Brian chastises me.

 

                “Uh huh, and what colour were his nails last weekend?”  George asks.

 

                “Brian Kinney!”  Drew gasps.

 

                “What can I say; Sunshine has pretty feet.”  He shrugs.

 

Just then the door goes and Faal lets in Ben and Steve.  Then the rest follow in rapid succession until everyone is here, except Michael, Ted and Blake.

 

                “So we’re waiting for Michael again?”  Drew asks.

 

                “No, he’s not coming, he’s got a previous engagement.  Didn’t he tell you?”  Mel asks Faal.

 

                “No.  Is he coming tomorrow?”

 

                “Yes, definitely tomorrow.  I’m sorry Faal, I told him to call…”

 

                “Mel, he said that it had slipped his mind and asked us to pass on his apologies.”  Lindz jumps in.

 

                “Why couldn’t he do that himself, it’s not as if he doesn’t have the number!”  Carl grouses.

 

                “He was in a rush.”  Lindsay replies.  “Where are the hero and heroine of last night?”

 

                “Lounge having a Chanel party.”  Brian replies.  “Excuse me I do believe the first coat is needed.”

 

And with that he saunters out with another bottle of bubbles.

 

                “A Chanel party?”  Lindsay looks confused.

 

                “Yeah, currently Justin, Jenny, Emmy Lou and Zee are doing pedicures, the base coats have been applied and now it’s just a question of picking a colour.”  Faal advises. 

 

As Faal was talking I notice, Mel take advantage of her Faal-struck wife to slip by her…catching my eye she winks.

 

LOUNGE

 

MEL

 

                “So young lady what colour do you want?”  I ask Jenny.

 

                “I don’t know there’s so many to choose from?”

 

                “Why not pick a range, say like red but have contrasting big toes?”  Justin suggests.  “Brian!  Paint don’t tickle!  Or I will call Debs on you.”

 

                “Okay mom, can I have the range of blues please?  And maybe a green big toes?  What about you what are you having?”

 

                “I’m fine sweetheart, I’m more an YSL girl.”

 

                “Oh you too?  Faal always teases me about my love of varnish, says my pretty toes bring out my ass kicking abilities beautifully, he’s lucky I love him.”  Zee chuckles and looks up

 

                “Same place, Emmy Lou second shelf down.” 

 

                “Now before I go is there any other items of beauty that you need to tell me about?”

 

                “Not where it concerns our toes no.”

 

                “Be right back!  Drewsie…for heaven sake I’m just getting varnish!”  He squeaks.

 

Within five minutes he’s back.

 

KITCHEN

 

LINDZ

 

                “Oh where’d did Mel go?”

 

                “Lounge to do Jenny’s I suspect.  Alice are the nibbles ready, I suspect that nail colour will only contain Justin for so long.”  Faal replies.

 

                “That’s a good point, here, take this its arancini…with mushroom risotto…that should help contain him.”  Debs laughs.  “Oh and the bruschetta.”

 

                “Faal let me help you.”

 

                “If you must.”  He replies.

 

LOUNGE

 

FAAL

 

                “Ah I see you have found her stash Emmy Lou?”

 

He beams up at me.

 

                “What’s that?”  Justin demands.

 

                “Mushroom risotto arancini and bruschetta.  Oh that colour my lig, I like that one on you.  Now Justin, I want you to hold, I repeat, hold this dish, whilst I move the table.”

 

Placing my dish down and taking the tray from Lindz, I start to head back to the kitchen to help Alice.

 

                “Oh I remember Christmas when we had the pedicuring contest, I never did get to see which ones were yours.”  Lindz says picking up bottles and holding them against her nails.

 

                “None, we didn’t enter, we had to fix the furnace.”  I reply. 

 

                “Oh is that what it’s called these days, fixing the furnace, I bet you managed to stoke that fire perfectly.”  Brian smirks.

 

I was about to say something when I caught the expression on Lindz’s face, she looked sick.

 

                “You okay Lindz, you’ve gone a bit pale.”  I ask.

 

                “No, I’m fine.  Excuse me I just need to go to the bathroom.”  Her voice is brittle and she sweeps out.

 

                “Anybody?”  I ask.

 

They all shrug and I head back to the kitchen. 

 

KITCHEN

 

Alice was just basting the pork joint when the doorbell went.  I open the door to Ted and Blake, who don’t look happy.

 

                “Sorry we’re late we had to deal with an issue at the comic book store.”  Blake says.

 

He reaches over and grabs a glass of wine.

 

                “Um where’s Michael?”  Blake asks tightly.

 

                “He’s not here, he had a previous engagement he’ll be here tomorrow though.”  Tucker and I exchange a look.  “You okay Blake?”

 

                “Oh fine, why do you ask?” 

 

                “It’s just that’s merlot you’re holding.” 

 

                “Yes I know, I’m not going to drink it, I just want to hold it for a while.”

 

                “Blake, why don’t you guys go to the upper lounge, Ben and the rest of the guys are playing with the Wii, and I think it’s the boxing game.”

 

                “Boxing?”  Blake’s eyes light up.

 

                “Thanks Faal, I think that’s a great idea.”  Ted takes his hand and they swiftly disappear.

 

                “Wonder what he’s managed to do this time.”  Debs sighs.

 

Happily the evening passed without any further incident, the roasted pork knuckle with garlic mash and winter greens was heavenly. 

 

Though there was a minor skirmish when it came down to the crackling, as well as the one on the knuckle she did extra, and in the end George took it away saying that nobody was having anymore until tomorrow for brunch and if it was touched before then he wouldn’t let Alice share the recipe for perfect crackling with us either.  For some reason everyone was looking at Justin.

 

Even better whatever had Lindz so bothered meant she wasn’t simpering after me and had an early night!

 

TREEHOUSE – SUNDAY MORNING

 

MEL & LINDZ’S ROOM

 

MEL

 

                “So what was that about?”  I ask

 

                “What?”  She mutters.

 

                “Well one minute you’re little Miss Mary Sunshine and the next you’re Miss Mary Go Fuck Yourself?”

 

She snaps her head up and glowers.

 

                “I just felt a little funny that’s all.  Once I splashed my face with water I was fine.  Are we helping Alice today, by we, I mean you as you were too busy having your nails done to help yesterday?”

 

I raise my eyebrows at her tone and frown.

 

                “Isn’t it opposites day today?”

 

                “Oh I see, no not this weekend, it’s every pitches in except Zee and Emmy Lou.”

 

                “But…”

 

Whatever she was going to say was cut off by knocking on the door and Jenny pokes her head round.

 

                “Come on we’ve got to get breakfast sorted out.  Mom I just love my toes!

 

                “You go ahead, we’ll be down in a minute.”

 

SHADYSIDE

 

MICHAEL

 

I can’t believe I missed the opportunity to see meet with Jim Lee and John Byrne, they got signed autographs as well.  I’m hoping that one of the packs that Phil was telling me about comes up on eBay, as I want it really badly.  I could’ve sworn I was on their mailing list.  I think I will have a quick look in my email…fuck and double fuck!  It went to my spam folder!

 

I settle down to read their emails and find out that there’s another event like the one yesterday in three months’ time and it will be with Brett Keller, how the fuck did they manage that wonder what Boy Wonder had to do to find a break in his schedule!  Seriously, what the fuck?!  They’re no longer showcasing collectibles no prizes for guessing whose idea that was…I think I need to explain to Blake how to run a comic book store properly.

 

But at least I finally managed to find Kip Thomas and have left a couple of messages for him.  I think I will leave another one in a few minutes.

 

TREEHOUSE

 

KITCHEN

 

BEN

 

                “So what are we having for breakfast Alice?”

 

                “Fruit, Eggs Benedict, savoury waffles with bacon and tomatoes.”  She replies from the fridge.  “Some of the pork knuckle in rolls for brunch and for early dinner mutton curry with rice, fried plantain and roti.”

 

                “Yeah, we’ve definitely going to need to add another run this week.”  Steve tells me

 

                “Or maybe two.”

 

                “Morning papa, Alice, Unc, I mean Steve!”  Jenny chirrups.  “What can I do?”

 

Steve froze for a second and blinked a few times, I nod at him.

 

                “Well you can call me Uncle Steve and help me with the fruits.” 

 

                “Great!  So with the fruits are we doing a platter or in bowls?”

 

BRIAN & JUSTIN’S ROOM

 

BRIAN

 

My sleeping beauty is flat on his back with a pillow partly covering his face.  We were up till late last night with the rest of the guys trying to hash out a partnership agreement with Kinnetic and E&Z’s.  I wasn’t kidding when I said that.  I think we are pretty much there.

 

I pull down the sheets and see his impressive morning wood and grab some stimulating lube, after preparing myself, I slowly lower myself onto him and then clench gently.

 

                “Oh Brian.”  He mumbles sleepily.

 

                “What is it?”  I whisper in his ear lifting the pillow slightly

 

                “Sssh, having this great dream that you’re riding me, need to go back to sleep now.”

 

                “Really, how does it feel?”  I murmur nuzzling his neck.

 

                “So hot and oh so good.  Stop talking need to get back to it.”  He pulls the pillow further over his face

 

I start to move gently up and down then reach behind me and gently stroke his balls.  His hips cant up and I gasp.

 

                “Yes baby.”

 

The pillow is flung away and his eyes pop open.

 

                “Oh fuck feel so good right now…”  He pants.

 

                “Can I move now?”  I groan.

 

                “Yes!  Move fucking move!”  He yells.

 

                “Guys put the sound machine on!”  Zee shouts from outside the door.

 

KITCHEN

 

FAAL

 

We’ve decided to let the kids eat first and they are outside having decided to go for a walk round the grounds.

 

                “They’re going to be late I take it.”  I ask her when she comes down grinning and nods.

 

                “I don’t know how you allow them to do that!”  Lindz mutters.

 

                “How do you suggest we stop them?”  I ask her.

 

                “Tell them they can’t simple as that.  The only people who should be doing that in your home is you.”

 

                “Why?  I don’t understand your logic here.” 

 

                “Well it’s disrespectful to you as the homeowner to know that that is going on.”

 

                “No, it’s not, it’s a compliment in a way, for you to be relaxed enough in our home to want to do it.  You’re trying to tell me that you’ve never fucked whilst you’ve been here?”

 

                “Of course not!”

 

                “Well it seems that you’re the only ones.  Next time just go for it and if like Justin you’re a screamer…pillow bite.

 

Mel almost chokes on her coffee.

 

PHOENIX RIVERSIDE ADVERTISING - DOWNTOWN PITTSBURGH

 

KIP THOMAS

 

                “What’s wrong with the board this time?”  I grouse.

 

                “Same thing that was wrong with it on Friday, you’ve not listened to what I’ve said.  Now do it again the way I asked you to do it.”  Norm says and stalks out of the department.

 

I glower at Norm’s retreating back, fucker I think, he gets on my fucking nerves.  I fling board to the floor, luckily I’m the only one in today but it was my own fault.  I’m lucky to be here after the shit I pulled over the years.

 

                “Kip Thomas.”  I bark into my phone and put it on speaker

 

                “Oh hello Kip, my name is Mich…Mitchell, I’ve left a few messages for you…”

 

                “Yes I know what can I do for you?”

 

NORM’S OFFICE

 

                “Have you done the board yet?”

 

                “No, but I’ve just had the weirdest phone call.”

 

SHADYSIDE

 

MICHAEL

 

Today is going to be a great day I can feel it!  Lindz has just called to say the car service will be at one, so I’ve got a couple of hours I can’t wait till Thursday.

 

TREEHOUSE

 

KITCHEN

 

ALICE

 

                “Morning boys, nice of you to grace us with your presence, grab some fruit now you can either have Eggs Benedict or waffles with bacon and sausage, I’ve curry goat to prepare and that is what I’m focusing on, as some people want to learn how to cook it.”

 

                “Including me, so can I just have the fruit, we’ve got the pork from yesterday still haven’t we?”  Justin asks, already tying an apron round his waist. 

 

                “Yeah just fruit for me too, I had my protein earlier.”  Brian smirks.

 

                “I wouldn’t let Lindsay hear that.”  Debs cackles coming out of the back kitchen.

 

                “Why what did we miss?”  Justin asks.

 

                “Debs you are terrible!”

 

BACK GARDEN

 

CARL

 

I’ve just called the kids to come on back, it’s starting to get colder again.  I’ve promised to make them hot chocolate when they are back, ah I can see them well and they look very cold indeed.

 

                “Come on kids hurry up!  We’ve banked the fire in the upper lounge and you can warm up in there okay?”

 

This gets them moving quicker. 

 

                “I’m going to help Alice with the curry grandpa.”  Jenny chatters.

 

                “Once you’ve had your cocoa you can do that and remember you’re helping me with dessert, admittedly it looks a little weird at the moment but wait till you taste it.”

 

She looks a little dubious about that but I know it will be fine.  An hour of later, they are nicely warmed up, Jenny is in the kitchen with Justin, Alice and Debs and everyone else is in the lounge, except Ems and Zee, we told them to lie in but they insisted on getting up and dressed.  So we said to go upstairs and work there but they must stop by 1230.

 

ZEE & FAAL’S BEDROOM

 

EMMY LOU

 

                “Right so how do you want to play this?  It looks like we have a good few weeks’ worth of work here.”

 

                “I know it’s exciting but nerve wracking.  But you know, let’s just not do this today.  Let’s actually take the time off whilst we can and just enjoy the calm before the storm…”  Zee suggests.

 

                “Too right.  Now I believe I we need bubbles and what goes better with bubbles than say watching someone else cook?”

 

                “Now you’re talking…let’s go.”

 

KITCHEN

 

                “I knew it, I knew you couldn’t resist.”  Alice chides us

 

                “We’re not coming to cook we’re coming to watch” I tell her.  “Now what are you cooking?”

 

Zee inhales and peers in the pot.

 

                “Alice please tell me that’s not mutton curry?”

 

                “Okay I won’t.”

 

                “Alice!  You are wonderful!  Let me get a blanket and we will sit on the window seat and not say a word.  Be right back!”

 

And true to her word she was but less true to our words, we were helping within 10 minutes. 

 

                “Mom!”  Justin calls out.

 

                “Yes sweetheart?”  She pokes her head in.  “Oh that smells so good.”

 

                “Tell Ben he won the pool.”

 

                “Okay I will, you two couldn’t have waited another five minutes!”  She gripes.

 

We giggle and go back to helping Alice.

 

Twenty minutes later there goes the doorbell and George opens it to Michael, he doesn’t say a word to him, they’ve not spoken since Christmas Day and how I wish that was the case for all of us!  He’s got that creepy smile again, oh lord what stupidity has he come up with this time.

 

                “Afternoon, how is everyone?”

 

                “Fine.  Everyone else is in the lounge.”  Debs says.

 

                “Oh, okay.”

 

That smug smile was wiped off his face and he went to join the others.

 

                “Right this little lot will take about another hour or so shall we join the others.” 

 

                “Is this a multiple choice question?”  Zee asks hopefully.

 

We all troop reluctantly into the lounge, where of course Lindz and Michael have cliqued up, but amazingly enough the atmosphere isn’t too bad and we end up having a very nice wait until dinner.

 

The kids did help Carl with dessert, which is top secret apparently, and judging by the grin on their faces this is a good thing.

 

DINING ROOM

 

ALICE

 

                “Right everyone, this is a recipe from my mother, it’s called mutton curry and…”

 

                “Is it spicy?”  Lindsay asks.

 

                “No but there is an option to spice it up should you feel the need with some hot sauce.  As I was saying, it’s mutton curry and…”

 

                “What’s mutton?”  Michael asks

 

                “Lamb that’s been allowed to grow older before it’s slaughtered, do you have any more questions you two?”  Carl asks.

 

They shake their heads, I smile at Carl for ruining their fun.

 

                “With plantain, which is fried banana and roti and rice.  Now help yourselves.”

 

                “Oh this is good, really good Alice.”  Tucker smiles at me.

 

Everyone else murmurs and nods and pretty soon dinner is done and the kids clear up, we head back to the lounge for the brandies.

 

DEBS

 

                “So come on papa bear, where is it and what’s it called?”

 

                “It’s called Thundercrack and I’ll be right back.  Kids we’re having the thundercrack now!”

 

A herd of elephants charge down the stairs and to the kitchen.

 

                “Thundercrack, seriously?”

 

They come in a few minutes later with a platter of what looks like rocks, chocolate covered rocks.  We’re not convinced by this.

 

                “Really it’s so nice, you only need a little bite, can I tell them what’s in them Uncle Carl?”  Matt asks.

 

                “Go right ahead.”

 

                “Its honeycomb, praline, popping candy and marshmallow all mixed together and dipped in milk and dark chocolate.”

 

                “Um, I like my teeth whole thanks, you’re not selling me on the crack part.”  Drew tries to decline

 

                “In this house we have to try everything at least once.”  Faal reminds him and reaches over for a piece.

 

We all watch him warily before he shares it with Zee.

 

                “Oh my God, Carl where the heck did you come up with this, it’s gorgeous!”  Zee demands.  “Seriously, Emmy Lou you have got to try this!”

 

Ems takes a nibble and his eyes light up.

 

                “Before we borrow this from you for one of our events we cannot call it Papa Bear’s Thundercrack!”  Ems guffaws.  “You’ve to think of another name for it.”

 

                “Speaking of events, Michael and I would like to continue the discussion from Friday?”  Lindz starts.

 

                “Okay.  But I don’t think there’s much to add to it.”  Brian retorts

 

                “Actually there’s something I’d like to discuss too with Michael.”  Blake cuts in.

 

                “Actually, Blake whatever you want to discuss can wait.”  Michael rebuffs him tersely.  “Continue Lindsay.”

 

                “We just wondered who Gus and Jenny were taking to New York with them.”

 

Gus looks round helplessly, and out of the corner of my eye I see Justin start to seethe.

 

                “Uh we’ve discussed it and we think that it’s okay for you two to come.”  Jenny states.

 

Everyone looks at her with an expression of surprise mixed with horror, apart from Lindsay and Michael who exchange smug smiles.

 

                “But you do realise that we will be discussing mostly wedding stuff and doing boring shopping and stuff?”  She continues.

 

                “Oh that’s fine, we’re part of the wedding party…”  Michael begins

 

                “Um how do you know we’ve not the invites out yet, which reminds me we must look at invites soon Emmy Lou, okay?”

 

Ems nods as he’s too shocked to say anything.

 

                “Brian, we’re family of course we’re part of the wedding party…”

 

                “Alice and George are part of the wedding party but they’re not coming to New York.”  Justin adds.

 

                “Well of course they’re not.”  Lindsay grinds out.

 

                “And why not mom?”  Gus asks.

 

                “Well they will be looking after Britin of course, it’s the weekend before the wedding after all.”

 

                “Nice save.”  Ted mutters and I nod.

 

                “As I was trying to say.  This trip is because we are doing something wonderful, which is a great honour, for Uncle Brian and Uncle Justin and they are thanking us for it, which is so nice of them!  And we’re flying premium class on Liberty Air, have the deluxe package at the spa, dinner reservations and we’re going to stay at the Chambers Hotel, which Uncle Brian swapped to when he saw it had an art gallery…”

 

                “It sounds wonderful sweetheart.”  Lindz interrupts.

 

                “Yes it is and if you still want to come, you have to pay for yourselves.  I don’t think it’s fair for you to come without actually doing anything for the wedding.  Uncle Justin can email you all the details about the flights, the spa, the hotel and the cars.”

 

The expression on their faces was priceless.

 

                “But, but, you mom isn’t doing anything for the wedding and she gets to go free!”  Lindz objects

 

                “No that’s not true, she is going in Uncle Vince’s place, if he wasn’t working then she wouldn’t be going, isn’t that right Uncle Brian?”

 

                “Absolutely, that’s correct.” 

 

                “So that’s agreed then.  Dad you can sell some of those toys to put towards what is going to be a once in a life time weekend.”  Jenny beams at us.

 

Lindz and Michael resemble guppies, but then she pulls on her inner wasp and smiles tightly.

 

                “Justin can you tell me roughly how much it would cost?”

 

                “Uh Brian is that okay?”  Justin asks.

 

                “Sure, they need to know what to come up with after all.”  He kisses him on the temple

 

                “$12,000.”  Justin tells her calmly.

 

                “For the weekend, you really are going out Brian!  But I think it’s doable, we can do this can’t we Michael.”

 

They both nod and smile at each other again.

 

                “Each.”  Justin adds.

 

                “Each!”  They gasp.

 

                “That includes the other activities which we want to be a surprise.”  Brian smiles at them.  “And whilst we’re speaking of this, Zee and Faal, we know what you’re thinking and the answer is no, it’s our wedding and we want to pay for it, so don’t even think of offering, let us treat you.”

 

They both nod their acceptance.

 

                “Now Uncle Blake I believe you wanted to say something.”  She prompts.

 

                “Oh yes, uh Michael can you tell me what possessed you to go to my comic store and start talking to Stuart about relapses, birds of a feather and questioning his employability?”

 

                “What?  What are you…?”  He stammers.

 

                “How could you invade someone’s privacy like that?!  Thankfully there was only Arnold there at the time.  Luckily for you we managed to calm him down and persuade him to stay on, thanks in no small part to Lucas’s suggestion”

 

                “Lucas?  Who the hell is Lucas?” 

 

                “Lucas Keller-Stone, he’s Bret Keller’s nephew.”  Blake snaps back.

 

                “And what was his great suggestion?”  Michael snarks.

 

                “Banning you.”

 

                “Right so I’m banned from the store for 2 weeks, Stuart already threatened that, I’ll just…”

 

                “No for life and your name has been removed from our database, so you’re banned online too.  You will just have to find somewhere to go.”  Blake tells him calmly.

 

                “You can’t do that!”

 

                “Um yes I can it’s my store, but if you want to buy it back from me at its current value of $75,000 that includes the inventory and fixtures and fittings, then do feel free to call me.”  He replies.

 

KINNETIC – MONDAY MORNING

 

BRIAN’S OFFICE

 

Justin, Ted, Mel and I are sitting here trying to recover from the memory of the ass whipping Blake handed out to Michael and the semi-stop that Jenny put to their plans to come to New York.

 

                “So how was the journey home?”  Justin is wiping his eyes.

 

                “Quiet, mostly because I think Michael had gone into catatonic shock and Lindz is too waspy to say anything especially as we were sharing with Jennifer and Tucker, the kids went with Debs and Carl.”

 

                “Sadly you know she’s just going to use Gus’s support fund to pay for them so they will most likely end up coming.”   Justin gripes.

 

                “Fuck!”  Mel groans.

 

                “We were this…”  I grumble

 

                “She can’t.”  Ted interjects.

 

                “Close to almost a…what did you say Ted?”  I demand.

 

                “I said she can’t.”

 

                “Why not, she’s the only one who has access to it, so she can pretty much do what she wants with it?”  Mel reminds him.

 

Ted takes a deep breath and looks somewhat embarrassed.

 

                “When I first set this up, I made it a restricted withdrawal account.  Which means you can’t withdraw cash, make a one-off payment or do any transfers, the only way money moves is via direct debit and they have to be approved by me first.”

 

We look at him in stunned silence.

 

                “Theodore Schmidt, I had no idea when I hired you that you could see into the future.”

 

                “I’m not clairvoyant I just wanted a safety net for you just in case.”

 

                “Ted we trust you implicitly or you sure as fuck wouldn’t be our personal accountant let alone our business one!”  Justin rebukes him gently.

 

                “Yeah but at the time I didn’t trust myself.”

 

He gives a small smile and a shrug.

 

                “So in other words unless she persuades mom and dad to give her $24K for a weekend in New York or however she will spin it…”

 

                “…they’re not coming!”  Justin cries.

 

                “Like I said, she’s a Marcus!”

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively.  Thank you xx