- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

It's a biggie...

CHAPTER 26 – AN EVENTFUL WEEK…

 

BROWNSTONE – MONDAY MORNING, SAME TIME

 

LINDZ

 

                “Lindsay Petersen speaking.  Oh hi Sydney.  I’m fine thanks, are you sick, oh good, no it’s just that this is your home number.  Oh I see, okay I will see you this afternoon at five.”

 

Judging by that tone he’s realised the error of his ways.  Well I think I will take this morning off, now to make some phone calls.

 

                “Hi Michael its Lindz, how are you?  What are you doing this morning, do you feel like coming over and planning our New York trip?  Great, how about in an hour.  Okay see you soon.”

 

ENGLISH LIT

 

GUS

 

I’ve not had chance to speak to J about yesterday!  When she said that they could come I think Uncle Justin wanted to cry but then kapow she hit them with the ‘pay for yourself’ line, I hope that’s enough to put a stop to it, but somehow I think they will get the money from somewhere and be there, so fucking annoying as I don’t want them there either.  It was pure genius and on top of that the way Uncle Blake reamed Uncle Michael out, just legendary. 

 

Her attitude to mom has really changed over the last few weeks, it’s like she doesn’t like her anymore and I can’t figure out why.  But she’ll tell me soon enough.  Seriously sonnets are the dullest things in the world to listen to…no wonder my mind drifts!

 

KINNETIC – LATE MORNING

 

BETHANY

 

                “Jennifer, I mean Mrs Taylor. What a surprise, how are you?” 

 

                “Bethany, Jennifer is fine, fine thank you and you.  I was doing a viewing and I thought I would drop by on the off-chance Brian is free.”

 

                “Actually, he’s in a meeting, oh wait the door’s opening, yeah it looks like they’re finished.”

 

Ted waves at her as he heads back to his office and Justin looks surprised.

 

                “Mom!  What are you doing here?”  He kisses his mom’s cheek

 

                “Hello darling, actually I’m glad you’re here too, let’s go back to Brian’s office.”

 

JENNIFER

 

                “Hi Mel, how are you and dare I ask how is Lindsay?”

 

Mel immediately breaks into a grin.

 

                “Well she just went to bed when we got home.  Never said a word.”

 

                “So where the hell did that come from?  Did you plan it Brian, between the two of you?”

 

                “No that’s the thing it was all her, like Mel says she’s a Marcus.  Now not that it’s not a joy to see you but what brings you to this part of town?”

 

I sigh and rub my temple.

 

                “I want to do my bit to stop the entitlement express before it speeds to New York...she’s a wasp and a determinedly entitled one.”

 

                “We’ve already set plans in motion that she can’t use Gus’s support account.”  Justin tells me.

 

                “She wouldn’t do that!”  I gasp.

 

                “Well just in case she tries.  She won’t get the money from me.”  Mel explains.  “So that leaves her parents, who she will most likely be able to get the money from, depending on the spin she puts on it.”

 

                “Thought as much.  When will she have to start paying out?”  I ask formulating a plan.

 

                “For the spa, flights and everything else fairly soon, why do you want to know mom?”

 

                “Brian, can you call her now and tell her the rough budget for the “treats” you have planned for us and that she has to get that money to you today, you will book them but she will have to send you the money first.”

 

He nods and dials her number…and puts it on speaker.

 

                “Hi Brian, how are you?  Oh and how’s Justin?”

 

Justin rolls his eyes and gives the phone the finger.

 

                “Great just great look about New York.”

 

                “Yes, what about it.  You’ve changed your mind, we don’t have to pay?  Michael and I are here just going through the choices for the spas booking the hotel.  What room type did you get for everyone?”

 

                “King Studio and you still have to pay.”

 

                “A King Studio let me look, oh…oh I see…”

 

                “Obviously you don’t have to get that one but the reason I was calling is because of the surprise stuff we are doing, I need to book the tickets and I need you to send me the money for it by close of business today.  Would that be a problem?”

 

                “No, no of course not how much are the treats and can’t we have a little clue, after all we won’t tell, we’ll act surprised, we’re your oldest and dearest friends after all.”

 

Justin does a gagging motion and Mel rolls her eyes.

 

                “Yeah Bri, come on tell us.”  Michael’s voice jars across the room.

 

                “No then it wouldn’t be a surprise then would it?  Okay the total for that would be $6725.”

 

                “Oh that’s…”

 

                “Remember this is each so that’s $13450 by 1800 today then?”

 

There’s a brief silence.

 

                “Yes, um, yes that’s fine.  With the spa is it the standard package that everyone’s going for?”

 

                “We’ve gone for the Full Harvest Ritual for everyone and then up to $500 for anything else that they want.  Look Lindz I’ve got to go to a meeting in 10 minutes so I have to prepare so I’ll start booking the events, oh but one other thing you can’t have the Ritual on the Saturday, we took up all the spaces, so it will be Sunday and it’s 4 hours so you’d best get that booked quickly.  Now really I have to go.”

 

                “So how was that?”  He asks still looking confused.

 

                “Perfect.”  I smile at him.

 

Picking up my phone, I scroll through and dial a number and signal them to be quiet.

 

                “Petersen Residence.” 

 

                “Nancy, its Jennifer Taylor.  How are you today?”

 

                “Fine Jennifer just fine.  Is there news about Sewickley, Lawrenceville or maybe McCandless?”

 

                “Yes, you know that the investment property you were interested in the one McCandless Township, the block of apartments, well the seller has come back to me and want to accept your offer.  They’ve said if you can put half down today it’s yours.”

 

There’s a silence.

 

                “Jennifer its Ron, that’s fantastic news!  We’ll have the money to you within the hour, in fact to secure it, we’ll pay for it now, is it the same price?”

 

                “Yes and the same terms.”

 

                “Perfect, I’ll get right on it.  Thanks Jennifer thanks so much!”

 

                “You’re welcome Ron, it’s been a pleasure.”

 

They all stare at me in confusion.

 

                “I don’t quite understand what’s just happened…”  Mel begins.

 

                “You’ll see.”  I smile at them.  “Now I have to go.  I’ll see you later.”

 

                “Mom!  Mom come back and explain!  Mom!”  I close the door on Justin’s indignant shouts.

 

BROWNSTONE – MID-MORNING

 

LINDZ

 

Michael and I exchange looks.

 

                “Wow he’s really gone all out and that’s the just the treats.  I bet Justin has been talking in his ear.  So what happens now, can you get that kind of money together today.  I know I can’t!” 

 

Michael huffs, I pat his arm and smile.

 

                “Michael, don’t worry like I said your displacement in the hierarchy of Brian’s friends it is temporary and of course I have a way to get the money.  Now let’s start booking the spa treatments.  Actually let’s get something to eat first and order in, I don’t fancy cooking.  I’ve got to go and see Sydney at five.”

 

                “Oh what about?”

 

                “He’s about to make a grovelling apology to me for the way he spoke to me on Friday.”

 

E&ZHoD

 

ZEE

 

                “So what are you getting her even if it doesn’t work?”

 

                “Hmm sweetie?” 

 

                “Jenny what are you getting her?  Faal is getting her a car, I’m doing the condo and you are…”

 

                “Oh I see!  Oh my God wasn’t she fabulous!  When she said that they could come I think the bottom dropped out of everyone’s world!  And then bam and the way she delivered it like it was the most logical thing in the world.  And then Blake banning, yes banning, Michael from the store for life that was the icing on the cake for me!  Do you think diamond earrings are too much?”

 

                “She’s 14 of course not!”

 

JENNIFER TAYLOR REALTORS – EARLY AFTERNOON

 

JENNIFER

 

I’ve had a productive morning and managed to sell another house.  I’m hoping my little subterfuge has worked and with a fervent prayer I open our escrow account and there it is, all $360K of it! 

 

E&ZHoD – MID AFTERNOON

 

ZEE

 

                “Well that has been a good day don’t you think?”

 

Emmy Lou nods and smiles.

 

                “And on that note I think we should close up for the day don’t you?”

 

                “Indeed.  Oh excuse me.  Hey Hunter, how you doing?  Yeah we were just closing up, yeah I can come now.”

 

                “Everything okay?” 

 

                “Yeah, apparently Lydia wants to see me and since I was going to go see Cara anyway, might as well take this, can I leave you to it?”

 

He kisses my cheek and waves me off.

 

UPTOWN

 

HUNTER

 

                “Lydia she’s here!”

 

Zee strolls in with a box in her hand and pauses at Cara’s desk and her eyes light up.

 

                “Was this what you meant?”  She asks.

 

We all crowd round.  Inside the cool box is what looks like a pearlised chocolate box

 

                “Take off the lid.”

 

She does so and it is filled with bags of candies, tubes of macaroons and favour little bags of praline clusters.

 

                “Oh my God Zee!  That’s beautiful!” 

 

                “The only things she can’t eat are the packaging for the macaroons, the bags for the candies and clusters and the lid, which I can inscribe for you and maybe bead it with pearls and it can be made to hang or stand when she’s finished with it.  The clusters are almonds, hazelnuts and pecans, the tissue paper is sugar sheets."

 

Cara is just sitting there staring at it.

 

                “When the hell did you do that?!”  I demand.

 

                “Oh she asked me a few months ago so have been working on it…in stages.”

 

                “Zee, how lovely to see you again, can you step into my office, and Cara I would suggest you go home with that now or your friend will never see it.  In fact, everyone we are closing early today, so take advantage of my good mood and scoot.”

 

Zee and I exchange looks and just as I was going to pack up Sydney comes in.

 

                “Mr Bloom, sorry but we’re closing in about 5 minutes.”

 

                “Hunter, my dear boy, please call me Sydney.  Actually, I’m here for a meeting with Lydia.”

 

                “Sydney, come in come in.  Hunter get going see you tomorrow.”

 

                “Good night Lydia, Sydney.”

 

I wonder what that is about but all is forgotten when Matt calls and tells me has some honey dust he wants to try.

 

LYDIA’S OFFICE

 

SYDNEY

 

                “You are most likely wondering what we’ve called you in for Zee.  Well Lydia and I are, despite being gallery rivals, close friends, and having seen what you did for James I wondered if you would consider affording me the same courtesy…”

 

                “Can I just clarify that I did not set his building on fire to buy it dirt cheap.”

 

Zee smiles and we all relax a bit.

 

                “But I want what he has, I want to retire and spend my remaining days with my wife and enjoying my grandkids.  So as I said we’re close friends and Lydia wants to buy it from me but doesn’t have the complete asking price and…”

 

                “I was wondering if you could lend some sway in persuading someone to enter into a partnership with me to buy Bloom Gallery.”

 

                “Uh huh.”  Is her response

 

                “I know, I know it’s a terrible, terrible cheek but its first refusal and I would take the minority shareholding if that’s what it takes.  Look, where the gallery is situated covers two prime spots on the corner of the art district, he’s got an established history, and a customer list to die for.  But I just don’t have the capital.”

 

She does look embarrassed and then Zee grins and pulls out her phone and dials a number.

 

                “Hey, you good?  You owe me $50.  Wait let me put you on speaker.  Okay go.”

 

                “So Sydney, Lydia, its Brian Kinney.  Let’s talk numbers and for a while keep secrets.”

 

By the end of the conversation a deal had been struck, I can announce it on Wednesday but not mention his involvement.  Rather kindly they agreed to keep the name Bloom and they would leave Lydia as the face of it until such time as Brian would present it to his husband as his wedding present.

 

Feeling a million times better, in mind as well as money, well eventually, I head back to my soon to be ex gallery to have my meeting with Lyndsey.

 

BLOOM GALLERY

 

LINDZ

 

                “Martine have you seen Sydney?”

 

                “No, he’s not been in today, are you feeling better?” 

 

She sounds a little frosty but quite frankly I don’t care.

 

                “Yes thanks.  How have things been going here?”

 

                “Busy-busy-busy.  Sydney’s back.  Good night Sydney see you tomorrow.”

 

SYDNEY

 

                “Goodnight Martine, have a good evening.  Such a lovely girl.  Shall we?”  I wave her to my office

 

Closing the door I smile at her.

 

                “Lyndsey, what I said on Friday about you being fired, I retract that…”

 

                “Sydney, I knew…”

 

Oh no lady, you don’t get to run this show.

 

                “I have decided to issue a written warning instead.  You will be placed on probation for the next 2 months in the hopes that your attendance and attitude improves.  As for last week’s non-attendance and today’s you can either take it is holiday or not be paid for it.  Which will it be?”

 

        “But Sydney I was…”

 

        “Or you…”

 

                “I will take it as holiday.”  She quickly cuts in.

 

                “Good now that we’ve got that matter sorted.  Goodnight Lindsay have a good evening, see you tomorrow bright and early!”

 

BROWNSTONE - EVENING

 

LINDZ

 

To say I’m pissed off is an understatement!  How dare he treat me like this after all I’ve done for him, I’ve carried that gallery it was nothing before me!  Now I have only got 4 days holiday left.

 

I was just pouring myself a glass of wine when my phone goes and it’s Brian, dammit.

 

                “Hi Peter, how are you?  I know, but Wendy had a meeting that overran can I get the money to you tomorrow, if you just buy them and I…oh why not?  I know that and I know what I said Brian but I’ve had a busy day too you know.  Fine, I will get the money to you tomorrow and then you can get the treats how’s that?  Good fine, bye.”

 

I just don’t understand why he can’t just pay for them and I pay him back.  Mel isn’t due for another hour or so as she’s got a deposition meeting so that gives me time to make that all important call, heading to the lounge I take a big sip of wine and dial the number.

 

                “Daddy, its Lindsay, how are you?”

 

                “I’m in excellent health honey how about you?  How’s everything Mel and the children?”

 

                “Fine thanks daddy, thank you for asking and how’s mom?”

 

                “She and I are both well and happy, expanding our property empire as we speak.”

 

                “Oh that’s great to hear, but daddy I need a tiny loan to cover an expense that has come up.”

 

                “Oh, we’ve just completed a purchase on a set of apartments in McCandless and the bulk of our money is tied up until at least May.  How much did you want, we can’t lend you much, what with our living expenses and then the renovations on the apartments…”

 

                “Sorry, daddy…”

 

                “Darling, there’s no need to apologise, I know you weren’t always good with money.  And to be honest we’ve spoilt you, both you and Lynette.  Now how much is it?”

 

                “No daddy I wasn’t apologising for asking I was saying sorry as in excuse me, you’ve done what in McCandless?”

 

                “Bought an apartment complex.  Now how much did you need to borrow?”

 

                “$25,000.”  I reply and I hear him suck in a breath.  “Well I need $13K now and then the rest later.”

 

                “And what’s it for?”

 

                “Like I said it’s for an expense, a personal expense.”

 

                “I see, well if you could be a bit more specific…”

 

                “Daddy, you’ve paid for 3 of Lynette’s weddings without an issue, why are you questioning me?”

 

                “Because that is a proven expense, admittedly a very expensive one but proven nonetheless.  So again what’s it for?”

 

                “I don’t feel comfortable…”

 

                “And I don’t feel comfortable with your entitled tone Lindsay!”  Mom’s voice comes over the speaker.

 

                “I do not have an entitled tone mother, I…”

 

                “When would you pay the money back?”  She asks.

 

                “Uh…”

 

                “Well we would need it back before the end of February for our McCandless investment portfolio can you guarantee that?”  He asks.

 

                “You never asked Lynette to pay the money back for her weddings…”

 

                “No we didn’t but that was generally because she kept the jewellery afterwards.  As I was saying can you guarantee that?”

 

                “N-not really, I could maybe pay it back end of March or April…”

 

                “No that’s too late, I’m sorry Lindsay we need a commitment for February not maybe March or April, so the answer is no.”

 

                “But mother!  Daddy that’s not fair I would pay it back eventually!”

 

                “Eventually is not good enough, I’m with your mother on this one, sorry but the answer is no.  Now let’s put this unpleasantness aside and tell me how’s things at the gallery, your new Brownstone what’s that like, when can we come over?”

 

BRITIN

 

LOUNGE

 

BRIAN

 

                “Okay she’s not got the money can you please explain what you did!”  I demand.

 

Jennifer takes a measured sip of her wine and smiles.

 

                “The Petersen’s see themselves as property magnates and have been trying to get into McCandless for months, I was holding out for a better price so I could earn more commission…”

 

                “Mom…”  Justin growls.

 

                “You want to know or not?”  She asks.

 

                “Ignore him Jennifer carry on.”  Mel rolls her eyes at Justin.

 

                “As I was saying; I was holding out but then Jenny dropped the New York bomb and after finding out what she’s been up to I knew the only place, realistically she could go was mommy and daddy, and like I said they are wannabe property magnates and are apt to bragging, so I know a lot more about them than they think…”

 

                “Jennifer Taylor you devious woman you.”  I chuckle.

 

                “Nope still not getting it.”  Mel gripes.

 

                “Mom how could you?”  Justin gasps grinning.

 

                “Seriously not getting it!”  Mel growls.

 

                “Yeah we’ve heard.”  Justin snickers and get flicked the bird.

 

                “So you tied up their money by bringing the sale forward and sacrificing your commission?  How do you know it will work?”  I ask

 

                “Because it will they want McCandless more than they want to help her and knowing Lindsay she won’t tell them what the money’s for.  Rumour has it that Lynette was fishing round for finance for wedding number 4 and was knocked back hard.  Trust me she’s not getting that money from mommy and daddy and you know what they say in our esteemed circles?”  She looks round at us and smiles.

 

                “What do they say Jennifer?”

 

                “It takes a wasp to kill a wasp.”

 

 

KINNETIC – EARLY TUESDAY MORNING

 

TED’S OFFICE

 

TED

 

I’m just staring at Brian.  I look down at the paperwork and then back up at him again.

 

                “I cannot begin to tell you how small the pieces of your chopped up balls will be if he finds out before I want him to.”  He threatens

 

                “Zipping, zipping.  But I don’t, I mean, wow he’s going to love it, but when did this happen?”

 

                “Remember on Friday night Sydney Bloom was speaking to James Fienman and Lydia Glendale, well turns out that Zee is a bit of a people watcher and…oh that underhanded!”

 

He suddenly shouts and bursts out laughing.  After five minutes he’s still laughing and I’m starting to worry about his sanity.

 

                “Brian, you okay?”  I ask.

 

                “Yes, Ted, I’m okay, don’t worry.  Now back to this, we need the money transferred by close of business this afternoon.  Sydney wants to make the announcement tomorrow.”

 

                “Okay I’ll get on it.” 

 

“And Ted, you do realise that this will most likely set off the Niagara Falls of allergies…”

 

                “Yes.”

 

                “So it’s your duty as best man to have lots of tissues on hand during the New York Pamper Weekend, as that’s when I’m going to tell him.”

 

                “I shall start investing in Kleenex.”

 

He smiles and salutes me on his way out.

 

PHOENIX RIVERSIDE

 

NORM’S OFFICE

 

KIP

 

                “So what do you think?”  I ask.

 

                “The board’s perfect, well…”

 

                “Thanks.  But I meant about the phone call on Sunday?”

 

                “I think whoever thought this up is genius and you passed first stage with flying colours.  Given your history…”

 

                “You mean it was a test?”

 

                “Of course, given your history it must have been, for the record I wasn’t aware of it but HR always do these things.”

 

                “Wow the guy was really good!  So what do I do about his number and stuff?”

 

                “Oh don’t worry about it, just go back to doing the good work I know you’re capable of.”

 

I beam at him and head back to my desk.

 

                “Oh and Kip?  Remember I said you’ve only passed first stage one of the test.  There’ll be more stages to come.”

 

I nod and once at my desk, I shred Mitchell’s details, delete him from my phone, ask IT to block his number and tell Reception if anyone called Mitchell comes to ask for me to tell them I’ve left…there that should do it.  There is no way I’m fucking this up to get even with a man who doesn’t even remember my name.

 

BLOOM GALLERY – EARLY LUNCH TIME

 

SYDNEY

 

I still don’t like the placing of the Matikka next to Rauthman, it just jars horribly. 

 

                “Scott have you seen Lyndsey?”

 

                “She’s in the basement cataloguing I think.”

 

                “Cataloguing?  Lindsey?”  I’m incredulous.

 

                “That’s what she said she was doing.”  He snickers

 

I head to the basement and am surprised to find that she is in fact cataloguing.  But is also on the phone.  I wave at her to attract her attention.

 

                “Yes Sydney?”

 

                “Can you stop doing this and help me with the Matikka and Routhman placings I just don’t like them?”

 

                “Now?”

 

                “Yes, see you up there in two minutes.”

 

I head back up and I know I’m being a bastard but hell she deserves every minute of it after the week we had last week, poor Martine was thrown in the deep end and ran ragged.

 

LINDZ

 

                “Hello?  Hello?  Damn it all to fuck!”  I snap.

 

I will have to call the credit card company back later as of course I can’t call from home as it is itemised billing and Mel will go through that with a fine toothcomb.  I will just have to visit an internet café and apply online for a card, it should be no problem, as long as Michael upholds his end of the bargain to share the bills, then we will be fine.

 

I head upstairs and paste a smile on my face.

 

CHASE, HAROLD & DRAPER

 

MEL’S OFFICE

 

MEL

 

                “Melanie Marcus speaking.  Oh hi Adam, how are you doing, listen sorry for, I know but I’m still.  Okay next time you feel like a breakdown you can sob on my Gucci.  Oh my goodness, poor Emily, when did it happen, oh it was expected then?  It’s still awful when a parent dies.  Look we’ve got time, oh she does, oh I see, right then, well really I would prefer this not to be done at the Brownstone, the kids are there and they’d only ask questions.  Yes, the Bloom Gallery the art district off Liberty Avenue.  Thanks for the heads up, yeah bye Adam.”

 

I sit back and sigh.  I can’t do this, I just can’t do it.

 

                “Jennifer its Mel…”

 

SPEAKEASY – AN HOUR LATER

 

JENNIFER

 

                “Okay what’s happened?”

 

                “Emily’s father died, it was expected, but she still wants to do this, even after that she still wants essentially revenge.  It’s one thing to talk about doing it but to actually have the…”

 

                “Don’t look at it like that.  Look at it as justice.  She took that away from her Mel and are you really trying to say that if she came to you with this case and it wasn’t Lindz you would leave it be?  Has she mentioned to you about the parental letter, has she mentioned to you about the extra support Justin is paying, has she stopped trying to sit on Faal’s face, has she stopped trying to interfere in Brian and Justin’s lives, has she stopped living on the past glory of being the great discoverer of Justin Taylor.  If you can answer yes to one just one of those questions then I would say reconsider but you can’t realistically can you?  And one more thing, and I want an immediate answer, taking the kids out of the equation this is purely on how you, Melanie Marcus, feel about a person, if you had to choose between Lyndsey and being alone which would you pick?

 

                “Al…I mean.”  She sighs and looks sadly at me

 

                “Now put the kids back in the equation who would you pick?”

 

                “Lyndsey simply because…”

 

                “No, how do you feel, you’re picking her for the children.  So the answer to that, honestly, is alone right?

 

She nods and I see the fire start to come back a little.

 

                “Now if you had to put in order Lyndsey, alone or…for example…with Leda, what order would they go in?

 

                “Alone, Leda then…oh God what I mean is”

 

                “What you mean is you would rather be alone than be unhappy but if that little hot number was to drift back into your life…”

 

                “Hot number, Jennifer Taylor are you drifting?  Should I be warning Tucker?”

 

                “No, but I do appreciate beauty and she’s a beautiful woman.  There’s no denying that is there?”

 

                “No there’s not.”

 

                “Good, now I’m going to make you cringe and smile at the same time?”  I grin at her

 

                “Oh how’s that?”

 

                “I’m getting casted on Friday night.”  I giggle and blush a bit.

 

                “Casted?” 

 

                “Uh huh, Zee has finally managed to find an evening when Faal won’t be in to be helpful!”

 

It takes a few seconds before she’s roaring with laughter and waving for another drink.  And she’s back!

 

INTERNET CAFÉ – LATE LUNCHTIME

 

LINDZ

 

Finally that is the application filled out, I’ve texted Michael and can now just waiting for the approval. 

               

TREEHOUSE – EARLY EVENING

 

KITCHEN

 

FAAL

 

Hmm my lig has that look on her face, she has a secret!

 

                “You shouldn’t keep secrets from your husband it’s bad for the relationship.”

 

                “I wouldn’t have to keep secrets from my husband if said husband could keep said secrets.”

 

                “Oh come on!  When have I ever given a secret away?”

 

                “Well recently Brian and Justin’s honeymoon destination.”

 

                “Okay I will give you that but I haven’t told Matt we’re getting him a car for his grad…”

 

                “You’re getting me a car!”  Matt shrieks.

 

                “Faal!  For fuck sake, see what I mean!”

 

                “How did I know he was behind me, when he walks like a ninja?”

 

                “Excuse me.  Back to the car part of the conversation…you’re getting me a car!” 

 

Zee turns the full glare on him and he wisely takes the hint and says he’s going back to the loft.

 

                “Well this is awkward.”  I mutter.

 

She shakes her head and turns back to the stove. 

 

                “Lig, I’m sorry I really am.  But please, please, please tell me what you know, I promise to try extra hard not to say anything!”

 

                “No.”

 

                “Please.”

 

                “Faal.”

 

I move the stool to beside her and watch her stir the pot and start to tug on the hem of her shirt with each tug I say please, this normally works, today it doesn’t.

 

                “Tell me something Mr Ugerstacht would you rather know or would you rather eat?”

 

I frown at her and then look in the pot and it looks like bisque.

 

                “With roasted prawns, scallops, and a rouille drizzle…”

 

                “That’s not fair!  That’s one of my favourites!” 

 

                “I know that’s why I’m making it so you’ll forgive me.”

 

                “Forgive you for what?”

 

                “Well for not being able to tell you, if I could I would and you know that, but also for the other thing I’ve done.”

 

I take the spoon away from her and turn off the stove at the mains.

 

                “Zaden Zion Ugerstacht what have you done?”

 

                “I really didn’t mean it, it just happened I wasn’t concentrating…”

 

She sighs and indicates I should follow her, and she leads me to the garage, my heart sinking.  There’s one thing there I hold dear and it’s my Can-Am Spyder ST.  My heart plummets when she bites her lip and doesn’t look at me as we get closer.  She presses the remote for the garage to open and when it does I’m staring at a Harley Davidson Road King Classic in silver and black and the family…what the fuck!

 

                “Happy birthday.  I knew you’d forget because you were concentrating on me and I had a word with our favourite petrol head and she helped.”

 

                “But.  When?  How?  I don’t…I would’ve known.”  I stammer

 

Brian comes over and hands me a glass of champagne. 

 

                “Got admit it’s a beauty.  Happy birthday.” 

 

                “Come on everyone let’s leave the two of them alone.”  Carl chortles.

 

                “See you inside geliefde.  I love you.”

 

I just stand there staring at it, how the fuck did she manage to do this whilst everything was happening.

 

ZEE

 

I heave a sigh of relief and check the bisque and take out the rib roast, another of his favourites.  We had to do most of the cooking in the workshop so he wouldn’t suspect anything.  Emmy Lou and Justin had the time of their lives, Alice and Debs did the sides and Matt and Hunter played their part…when everyone got there and the bike was in place, Hunter texted Matt who came downstairs and waited for his cue, though I am still pissed that he blurted out about the car, I expected him to say something else, and voila here we are.

 

And here is the birthday boy.

 

                “How just how?”

 

                “I’m a very resourceful woman, now go into the lounge and finish off the champagne…go…no touching just go!”

 

I hear them cheer him and smile and head to check the table and make a few adjustments.

 

                “Mom come on!”  Matt bellows.  “We’re opening the good stuff now!”

 

I head the lounge and attempt to go past him.

 

                “Oh no you don’t.  How did you do…do…th…this?” 

 

I hear the crack in his voice and nudge him muttering.

 

                “Kom op Grote; kerel houden het samen.”

 

                “What does that mean?”  Gus asks.

 

                “Come on big guy keep it together.”  Matt replies.  “And…he’s gone.”

 

                “Come with me.” 

 

I take his hand and pull him outside and close the door whilst he tries to get himself under control.

 

                “He’ll be back in a minute.”  I say coming back in

 

Five minutes later he’s back and comes and wraps his arms round me. 

 

                “Dank u mijn liefde.”  He sighs.

 

                “Ooh I know this one, I think!”  Emmy Lou squeals.  “Liefde means love right, so am going to go with thank you my love?”

 

Faal nods and hi-fives him and then we hand round the champagne. 

 

                “And now for the present!”  Ben calls out.

 

Faal looks down at me and I try and largely fail to look as if I know nothing.

 

                “But this present comes special delivery.”  Ben continues.

 

                “Where is that man of mine?!”  A voice calls out.

 

It takes a few seconds for him to register that she’s standing in front of him with a box.

 

                “Leda!  What the fuck?  When did you get here?!”  He cries looking at me and then at her again.

 

                “Last night been hiding out in Jennifer’s condo.  Come here you two!”

 

She sweeps us into a hug and then I notice the expression on Mel’s face, she looks truly shocked but…happy to see her.  Lindz on the other hand not so much, she’s been distracted all evening constantly checking her phone and weirdly avoiding Brian.  There’s no Michael and Jenny is feeling no pain about that at all.

 

                “So do you want to know?”  She waves the box at him.  “It’s totally a petrolhead thing.”

 

                “What is?  What’s in the box?”  He tries to reach for it.

 

                “Patience no grabbing.  Stunt driving experience.” 

 

                “Are you fucking with me?!”

 

                “Nope, a whole day stunt driving on Friday.  Here see what they have to off…ouch snatch burn!  And not in a good way!”

 

He pours over the documents and within minutes most of the boys except Justin and Emmy Lou are booking online.  

 

                “So that takes care of you lot, what are the rest of us going to do?” 

 

Jennifer calls out, there’s devilment in her eyes.

 

                “Well I’m going too.  They have a stunt motorcycle experience as well.”  Leda smiles

 

                “What?”  Mel gasps.  “Let me see that!  Oh that looks fantastic, I wish I could go.”

 

                “Why can’t you?”  Jenny asks reading the booklet.  “Mom, you’ve got to do this, you just have to!”

 

                “Oh but I can’t really, I’ve only just started there.”  Mel argues

 

                “Oh don’t be silly, momma’s taken loads of time off and she’s only just started work…tell them you’ll make it up the hours I’m sure that’s what momma had to do?  Right momma?”

 

                “Huh sweetheart, sorry I wasn’t listening.”

 

                “Never mind.  Come on you’ve earned a treat, you bought us home to our dads, and you’ve not done anything for yourself since we’ve been back.  You.know.you.want.to.   Remember arguing with me is like arguing with yourself…”  Jenny adds.

 

Screwing up her eyes tight, she reaches into her tote and hands Jenny her wallet.

 

                “Do it now!”

 

                “Yes!”  Jenny grabs her card out and between her and Gus they book her on.

 

My phone chimes.

 

                “Right to the dining room everyone, I’m about to serve up.”

 

DINING ROOM

 

FAAL

 

We take our seats, initially she was going to serve alone but Carl vetoed that and we’re having the roasted seafood bisque, it is delicious and spicy and I’m still in shock.  The bike, Leda, the stunt driving day.  She’s totally spoilt me. 

 

She and Alice are exchange looks and nods.  What else is going on?

 

                “Faal, what’s your favourite fish.  I mean your absolute favourite fish?”  Alice asks.

 

                “Monkfish.”

 

                “And how do you like it?  In an ideal situation?”  She asks

 

                “Roasted or…car…no Zee, you didn’t?”

 

                “Well I couldn’t do everything…and I know you won’t mind sharing with Brian and Justin.”

 

                “What?  Sharing what?”  Justin calls down.

 

                “Monkfish carpaccio dressed with white wine, shallots, ginger, chilli flakes and garlic.”  Zee replies.

 

Brian gets up and moves to my end of the table.

 

                “You stay there Justin, this I want to eat without having to bat your hands out of my plate or my lap!”

 

                “Brian!” 

 

Lindz admonishes, it’s the first time she’s spoken since she’s sat down as she’s been constantly checking her phone.

 

                “Lindsay, what’s ruder, his little joke or you checking your phone all the time?”  Jennifer asks.

 

That gets her attention and she puts her phone away.

 

                “Apologies, I’m waiting on a decision on a painting we’re trying to secure.”

 

The next course is oh my goodness, rib roast!  And there’s two of them and Brian moves back next to Justin.

 

                “Carl, you do one and I’ll do the other okay?”  I ask.

 

He nods and we start slicing, it is perfectly cooked, and the vegetables and the red wine gravy and then there’s pudding of caramelised lychees with ricotta pancakes.

 

As Debs, Alice, Mel and Leda clear away we decide to stay in the dining room for coffees and brandies

 

                “I’m going to miss this table.”  I sigh.

 

                “You’re getting rid of the table?”  Ted asks.

 

                “Hmm, you guys won’t be able to eat on it anymore.”  I tell him

 

                “Why on earth not?”  Ted is looking at the grain of the wood.  “It’s gorgeous.”

 

                “Because I fully intend to fuck her brains out on it when you’ve gone.  And she won’t let me keep it after that.”  I leer at her; as she snickers and face palms.

 

                “Maybe we can sand it?”  Blake suggests.

 

                “No!”  Ted barks.

 

BROWNSTONE – WEDNESDAY EARLY MORNING

 

KITCHEN

 

MEL

 

                “So did you get a decision?”

 

                “Decision?”  She replies absently.

 

                “Yes the painting, did you hear anything?” 

 

                “No not yet, hopefully this lunchtime.  How’s your week looking?”

 

                “Busy, I’ve got to cram three days into two, but luckily Harry is picking up the slack so I can enjoy Friday without too much guilt.”

 

                “Friday, what’s happening on Friday?”

 

                “My goodness you were distracted.  I’m going stunt motorcycling with Leda and the boys.”

 

This time she puts her phone down and looks at me.

 

                “Leda and the boys?”

 

                “Yes Lindz, Leda and the boys, they are doing cars we are doing motorcycles.  What painting is this a Degas, you barely conversed with anyone last night.  Except to tell Brian off of course, which by the way did not go down well.”

 

                “Never mind that.  So what am I supposed to do?  Just wait for you to come home from your butch dike day and have dinner prepared!”

 

                “Wow bitch much!  You will be at work all day.  The kids will be in school.  They will fend for themselves as usual and then I will come home and hope my wife is in a better fucking mood!”

 

I pick up my case and head out ignoring her calling my name.

 

LINDZ

 

Shit, shit and double shit!  That’s all I need!  Brian has already texted me to say that the price of the treats has now gone up to $7115 each and it will keep going up, I can’t deal with that now.  Sydney is watching me like a hawk, I will just have to deal with that later and if needs be Michael can sell a toy, I’m determined to get us to New York!

 

I head to work and make it just on time.

 

BLOOM

 

SYDNEY’S OFFICE

 

SYDNEY

 

I’ve told everyone that I don’t want to be disturbed, they’ve promised that the call will come at 1000 and I have another 20 minutes until the entire transaction is complete.  Lydia’s money has arrived, I wonder how she’s feeling.  I want to call but I don’t want to jinx it.

 

KINNETIC

 

TED’S OFFICE

 

BRIAN

 

                “Theodore, can we just go ahead and do it already?” 

 

                “Brian.  Please let me do my job please?”

 

It’s the third time he’s checked the figures, the contract and the inventory, I’m starting to twitch. 

 

                “How about you wait in your office and then we press the button from there, your twitching is making me nervous!”

 

                “We press at 0955 and not a minute later!”  I snap and stalk out.

 

UPTOWN

 

HUNTER

 

Something is definitely up, Lydia’s been pacing round the gallery and when she’s not doing that she’s been in her office pacing in there.

 

BLOOM

 

MARTINE

 

Jesus what’s wrong with Sydney, he’s so jumpy this morning, for a man who doesn’t want to be disturbed he’s been in and out of his office like a jack in the box.

 

TREEHOUSE

 

DINING ROOM

 

FAAL

 

We’re currently looking at dining room tables and after about 10 minutes we have settled on one, which can be delivered on Friday.

 

                “You know we could keep this one?”  She suggests.

 

                “My darling, we only have one dining room…”

 

                “No its something that Blake said, we can sand it right down, and then treat it with the sealant and stuff and put it by the pool outside?  And maybe do a glass top and get some chairs…mmmph!”

 

I look down at my stunned Zee and smile.

 

                “What was that for?”  She gasps.

 

                “Because.” 

 

KINNETIC

 

BRIAN’S OFFICE

 

TED

 

                “Brian, I can’t press the button until you unlock your pc!”

 

He saunters over from the sofa cool as you like and slowly types his password.

 

                “What’s your hurry Theodore?  The transaction isn’t due till 1000 and its only 0954…”

 

I scowl at him and login to the system and sigh.

 

                “You can press any time now.”

 

                “There, I don’t know what you were getting so tense about.”  He smirks at me.

 

I shake my head and head back to my office smiling, I don’t know how Justin puts up with him!

 

BLOOM

 

SYDNEY’S OFFICE

 

SYDNEY

 

                “Norma, I’m officially retired, the money’s here!  Start booking my darling start booking!”

 

Twenty minutes later a Martine is knocking on my door with an envelope.  Tearing it open it’s the contract, I am now retired.  I call Lydia.

 

UPTOWN

 

LYDIA’S OFFICE

 

LYDIA

 

                “Lydia Glen…Sydney!  Well, oh fuck really!  Okay!  Fuck me, yes we’re coming over now!”

 

I do a little happy dance before straightening myself out and asking all of my staff to come with me and we head to Bloom.

 

BLOOM GALLERY

 

SYDNEY

 

                “Ah can I have everyone’s attention please?  I have an announcement to make, just waiting for some other…ah Lydia, everyone come in.  Cara would you mind locking the door and turning the sign please?  Gather round, gather round please thank you.”

 

Everyone looks at each other.  I pull Lydia to my side.

 

                “Well, here goes.  This will be short but bittersweet.  After many, many years in the business working with some lovely people, the time has come for me to retire.  Now, now, don’t panic, I’ve been assured that your jobs are safe by your new boss and my dearest friend Lydia Glendale.”

 

Lydia steps forward and smiles.

 

                “Look we know each other as friends and faux rivals but now we are friends and colleagues.  There will be some immediate changes, for example, I will be coming over here.  But name Bloom will remain, we couldn’t have that change.  With regards to Uptown, Scott, I mean my Scott will take over as manager all other changes will be announced by next Monday.”

 

                “Now I won’t be going immediately, I have to hand over to Lydia and of course there’s the little matter of my retirement party to plan…”

 

                “I can ask…”  Hunter begins

 

                “And that’s exactly what I was going to ask you my boy, could you ask them if they could cater it for me?  It would be up to 300 people so we would need a venue, actually Lydia, do you think you could spare Hunter and I spare Miranda and they organise this for me?”

 

                “Really, seriously you’d let us do that?”  Miranda gasps.

 

We both beam at them, they’ve become good friends and we trust them.

 

                “Of course!  I think that’s an excellent idea.  Now don’t let your other duties slack off mind you.  Understood?  Now everyone back to work, I mean the Uptown lot back to the gallery and Scott you’re in charge for the day okay?”

 

We head to my office and embrace each other, she rifles in her handbag and pulls out a small bottle of champagne.

 

LINDZ

 

Oh my God!  I did not see that coming, I will be working with the great Lydia Glendale!  I’m so excited.  I think a little chat with my new boss is called for.  I head to Lydia’s office and knock twice and enter.

 

                “Lydia, Sydney may I have a word?”

 

They look up me in surprise.

 

                “I did knock.”  I point out.

 

                “Yes but it’s customary to wait for permission to enter before doing so.”  Sydney rebukes me.

 

                “She’s here now, let’s get this over with.  What can we do for you Lindsay?”

 

Get this over with?

 

                “I just wanted to know what my role would be under your tutelage.”

 

                “Tutelage?  Lindsay you are already the gallery manager, I don’t need to teach you anything per se but you do need to prove to me that you should remain in that position.  Now excuse us we have things to discuss.”

 

I head back to my desk feeling a little shell-shocked.  Prove myself, why the hell should I have to prove myself! 

 

                “Lindsay your phone is buzzing.”  Scott tells me.

 

I look down and it’s a text from the credit card company…I’ve been declined!  Fuck!

 

THURSDAY MID-MORNING

 

DINER – DOWNTOWN PITTSBURGH

 

MICHAEL

 

I’ve been waiting for 30 minutes now and still no Kip.  And then I realise something I don’t actually remember what he looks like, and it’s not as if I can ask Brian, whose ass I’m trying to save, or Boy Wonder.  I decide to try his number and I get the message that the number is no longer in service.  I decide to try the agency itself and get the message that the number is temporarily out of service.  Since I have time I head down there.

 

PHOENIX RIVERSIDE RECEPTION

 

MICHAEL

 

                “Hi I wonder if you could help me.  I have a meeting with Kip Thomas my name is Mitchell.”

 

                “Kip Thomas, Kip Thomas, I’m sorry sir but he no longer works here.”

 

                “Oh but I spoke to him on Sunday.  Can you tell me when he left?”

 

                “I’m sorry but that’s privileged information and I can’t give that out.  Perhaps you could try his cell.  Have a good day sir.”

 

I stomp out and head home.

 

BRITIN

 

LOUNGE

 

JUSTIN

 

                “Shit fuck and dammit!”  I scream after reading the email.

 

I quickly find Brett’s number and call him.

 

                “Brett its Justin.  I’ve just been emailed to say I’ll be getting a residuals payment by close of business today?  Why?  Oh I see, wait so this means it’s backdated?  Fuck!  I don’t suppose you could let me know if Michael Novotny will get one too.  He will.  No, nothing to worry about never mind.”

 

SHADYSIDE – LATE AFTERNOON

 

MICHAEL

 

                “Hey Lindz, what’s up you sound upset?  Oh I see, look maybe I can get the money from ma.  Oh shit!  Holy fuck, wait, you don’t need to worry about that, I’ve just got a residuals payment for Rage, we are going to New York!”

 

WOODY’S EARLY EVENING

 

JUSTIN

 

After I called Brian, he said he’d meet me for a drink and a game of dirty pool to cheer me up.  I arrived first and grabbed a table and ordered a triple beam straight up each.

 

                “Hi Justin, Brian’s just coming.”  Ted’s voice interrupts my thoughts.

 

I smile and nod and then sigh as I catch sight of the smug face of one Michael Novotny and grind my teeth as he makes his way determinedly to the table.

 

                “Hi Justin, guess what happened to me today?”

 

I shrug and say nothing.  His smug smile gets broader.

 

                “Oh I see, well that means it only happened to me.  I got a residuals payment from Rage.”

 

Brian arrives just as he says that and slides into the seat next to me.  He gives my thigh a quick squeeze.

 

                “Brian, I was just saying to Justin that I got a residuals payment from Rage, looks like he didn’t get one.  Such a shame, I guess it’s a writer’s perk.”

 

                “That’s nice for you Michael.  How much is it?  If you don’t mind me asking?”  Brian asks.

 

                “Not at all, Brian you know I don’t keep secrets from you.  Well its $23,000, so to thank Lindsay for her generous support and friendship I will be paying for her to come to New York with us.  Isn’t that great?”

 

                “Yeah Michel that’s great, just one little thing don’t you think the money would be put to better use, like, oh I don’t know repaying the money you owe us for example?”  He asks.

 

I see the twitch in his jaw and think good.

 

                “Brian, clearly you know nothing about the film industry, the residual checks will keep coming, so I can use the next one to pay you back.”  He replies airily.  “Now to celebrate, I’m going to get some champagne, I would be pleased to share it with you.  Be right back.”

 

It takes both Arnold, who was standing nearby, and Brian to wrestle me back into the seat.

 

                “I want to pull his fucking eyes out!  Brian, I can’t!  I can’t have him in New York!”

 

                “I know baby but what can we do, he can afford it now.”  He kisses me gently.

 

                “Give me a minute Stud, just need to make a quick phone call.”  I slide out and head outside.

 

OUTSIDE WOODY’S

 

                “Hey Brett it’s Justin, I’m still a bit shocked but good.  No I’m happy to receive it.  I just wanted to know if that would be it.  I see thanks.  Lucas is doing great according to Ted and Blake.  Are you still set to come to the workshop?  Great.  Yeah take care too.”

 

I head back inside feeling much better.

 

                “Ah Justin, we’ve got just enough for a small glass for you.” 

 

Michael is so close to having that glass shoved in his neck.

 

                “It’s okay Michael, I’ll get another one after all you’re not the only one celebrating.  Do you want another beam stud, we can do beamosa as Faal christened them.”  I wink at him.

 

                “Okay.  Oh wait, maybe not we’ve got that driving day tomorrow…”

 

                “No you have the driving day and an evening with the boys, I have painting in the studio and an evening with the girls.”

 

                “Driving day, evening with the boys…?”  Michael questions.

 

                “Yes part of Faal’s birthday present from Zee, he got a Harley Davidson and a stunt driving day.  I’m looking forward to it, how about you Ted?”

 

Ted had been absent after Michael’s smug announcement but was now back clutching a cranberry juice.

 

                “Yeah Bri, definitely, I am looking forward to tomorrow.”

 

                “Oh Michael, I just checked my bank and I did get the residual payment as well, but for $58,000 seems that being the creator of Rage as well as the artistic director on the film beats being the, oh what did Brett call you, oh yes part time dialogue scribe.  But sadly that’s the last of them, unless Rage is resurrected.  Which it won’t be.  Now if you’ll excuse us, I’m going to take my fiancé home and fuck him into the mattress.  Good night Ted.” 

 

I take Brian’s hand and pull him outside, as I look back I see the stunned expression on Michael’s face and snicker.

 

TED

 

                “Well goodnight Arnold thanks so much for your help on Saturday.”

 

                “No problem Ted.  It was very interesting.  Are you going to do some more of those kind of events, be happy to help you out again?”

 

                “Yes there is a Brett Keller event coming up soon.”

 

                “Give me a call.” 

 

                “I will do.  Goodnight.”

 

As I head out to hail a cab, I hear Michael calling me but mercifully I’m in luck and I manage to get cab before he can catch up with me.

 

BROWNSTONE – FRIDAY EARLY MORNING

 

LINDZ

 

I can’t believe it we’re going we’re actually going!  This has taken the edge off my bad mood over the credit card rejection and Lydia’s snarkiness earlier.  Now all I have to do is get Mel to talk to me, she didn’t even say goodbye to me when she went out this morning

 

TREEHOUSE

 

OFFICE

 

ZEE

 

I’m trying to work out the logistics of the Portland weekend.  Uncle Luc and Aunt Dee are going to be there, so it will be great to see them.  They’ve said that the place has changed a bit since I last had pictures and there are two additions but they’ve refused to say what they are.

 

Faal comes in with a cup of coffee and some toast and jam.

 

                “Hey gorgeous, we’ve moved the dining the back lot and you can work on it there.  What, what’s wrong?”

 

I look up and smile and shake my head.

 

                “Nothing.  I’m just pleased you liked your presents.”

 

                “Speaking of which…”

 

                “Am I amending or cancelling?”  I poke him in the ribs

 

                “Amending to Sunday lunchtime instead?”

 

                “Fine.  But if they can’t do that, we just do Speakeasy and order take out?”

 

                “Deal.”

 

I give him a kiss but we are interrupted by my mobile, I look down in surprise, and it’s David Cameron.

 

                “Hi David.  How are you everything okay?”

 

                “Hi Zee, yes everything is fine more than fine actually.  Listen a little bird told me that you and Faal amongst others are going to be in Portland in a couple of weeks and I wonder if I could persuade the two of you to come to dinner with Charles and I and, ahem, bring Jenny?”

 

                “Uh that would be great for me and Faal but I’m not so sure daddy dearest would be happy with us bringing Jenny without him tagging along…don’t ask it was a rookie mistake on my part.”

 

                “Ah I see.” 

 

                “Unless you came to us?  I’ve inherited a house and we could easily meet there, and contain any potential embarrassment.”

 

                “Michael embarrassing, whatever do you mean?”  Charles’s voice come across the line.

 

                “Okay, if you don’t mind, in fact we will do that and we will cook, we insist.”  David chuckles.

 

                “So what’s the reason for the invite?”  Faal asks.

 

                “Two fold, one I got my licence back and have found premises to restart my practice, a few of my former patients are coming back and two, to thank you…”  He trails off.

 

                “Thank me?  Look all I, I mean we did, was give you another perspective to your problem with Hank and it…”

 

                “No, thank you for not saying anything to Michael about the insider trading fine.”

 

                “What…uh.  Fuck it when did you realise?”

 

                “He didn’t it was me.  I was curious about you, not in a bad way and when he mentioned you were part of Stark Securities, I asked a few friends and one told me what name you work under outside of that…why didn’t you say anything?”

 

                “The more I got to know you the more I realised you just made a mistake and got greedy, threatening me was not good, but you were making amends or at least trying to, so we misjudged you based on past experience so sorry about that.”

 

                “Yes that wasn’t my finest hour and I unreservedly apologise for that.”

 

                “Don’t sweat it, besides it’s not as if I didn’t threaten you back.”

 

                “That’s true being told you would tie my balls round my neck whilst they were still attached to me has always stuck in my mind, I…”

 

                “Jesus!”  Charles gasps

 

Faal snorts into his coffee.

 

                “So we’re good then?”  David asks.

 

                “Yeah we’re good, we’ll talk later about arrangements.  See you soon.”

 

I hang up and look sheepishly at Faal.

 

                “In fairness…”

 

                “No, there’s no fairness in that!”

 

SHADYSIDE

 

MICHAEL

 

I’m so fucking pleased that we’re going to NYC, last night Lindz and I were up booking the flights, the spas, everything and I even wired $8,000 to Brian for our treats, Lindz is going to do her part later today.   Although I’m pissed that Boy Wonder got more money than me and especially what he said that Brett called me, though that is most probably a lie!

 

Ooh the confirmation emails are starting to come…wait that’s not a confirmation that’s a cancellation, what the fuck is going on?!

 

I check the emails and they are all saying that the bookings have been cancelled due to insufficient funds!  Quickly, I check my bank and there is a withdrawal of $13555…what the hell?!  I call the bank.

 

                “Hello this is Michael Novotny, there is a massive withdrawal on my account and I want to find out what that is about as I have…yes these are the details”

 

I pace the room with my heart hammering in my chest.

 

                “Yes!  I’m still here!  It’s what, what but…okay thank you!”

 

I dash to my desk and rifle through my papers and find what I’m looking for, putting it on speaker I dial the number.

 

                “Schenk, how can I help you?”

 

                “Mr Schenk this is Michael Novotny!  Can you explain to me why the IRS has taken money out of my account without my permission?”

 

                “Ah Novotny, Novotny, bear with me a moment.  Ah yes Mr Novotny, your tax bill was reduced you must be pleased…”

 

                “Pleased?  Why would I be pleased that you essentially stole from me!  I didn’t give you permission to withdraw that money and I need it back!”

 

                “We don’t need your permission Mr Novotny.  And it would do you well to stop shouting at me.”

 

I take a breath.

 

                “Okay Mr Schenk why don’t you need my permission?  The last time I checked you don’t…”

 

                “We do actually, if the next words out of your mouth is ‘have the right’, we have a special power that allows us to garnish any funds from a citizen and to quote the exact ruling 5.3.4 subsection D, in the handbook I gave you at my last visit; in the event of an appeal should during that time monies come into the possession of the citizen that that citizen does not notify the IRS of, the IRS has the right to garnish those monies and hold them in a non-interest bearing account until such time as the appeal decision is reached.  Once the appeal decision has been reached and the final figure settled upon the IRS will return any such balance due to the citizen.  It just so happened that the appeal decision and the red flag came the same day.”

 

I stare at the phone in shock.

 

                “Mr Novotny, Mr Novotny are you there?”

 

                “Yes so you’re saying that you’re not giving me the money back?”

 

                “It’s not yours Mr Novotny.  We merely took what was due to us.  Now I’m a very busy man.  Good day.”

 

TREEHOUSE - LOUNGE

 

TED

 

We’ve got another 30 minutes before we need to set off to the stunt driving venue, I’m hoping the call comes before then.  Mel and Leda are at Jennifer’s so they are meeting us there.

 

                “Ted do you mind explaining to us why you are pacing a hole in the carpet?”  Brian asks.

 

                “Waiting for a phone call.  Ah here he is!  Tobias let me call you back!”

 

I quickly dial his number and put him on speaker.

 

                “Well!”

 

                “Well Teddy, all done. Sometimes it pays to know a bitchy queen of an IRS man doesn’t it?”

 

                “It does indeed!  Listen, you and Darius have got to come round for dinner, maybe next week?”

 

                “Yes that would be good, give me a call over the weekend.  Ted that was the most fun I’ve had in a long time, what an odious man he is and what’s with the toys?”

 

                “Long story will tell you over dinner, speak to you later.”

 

He hang up, sinks into a chair, closes his eyes and heaves a sigh of relief.

 

                “Ted?”  Justin prompts.

 

Ted opens his eyes and smiles at us all.

 

                “He’s paid his tax bill.”  He replies.  “Albeit unwillingly.  Oh and also paid down some of his loan”

 

Blake starts to smile back at him.

 

                “Ted.  You didn’t!  And oh my!”

 

                “Oh yes I did!”

 

They all look between the two of us in confusion.

 

                “What?  What did you do?”  Justin asks

 

                “Somehow the IRS found out about the residual payment.  And they invoked a special power.  So unless he wins the lottery, there is no way in fuck he is coming to NYC.  And you when he calls you to explain he can’t go to NYC, you just say that you are going to use that $8K to pay down some of his loan instead of….mmmpph!”

 

                “Justin!  Unhand our accountant!”  I yell.  “Now come on boys let’s get this day started!”

 

BLOOM – FRIDAY MID-MORNING

 

LINDZ

 

Martine has been flitting between Uptown and here all morning under the pretence of organising Sydney’s retirement party, I don’t see why she and Hunter were given that task, since I know Sydney better and would know the best people to invite.

 

Because of this, we’re picking up the slack that she’s been hired to do, I’ve been in the basement cataloguing for the last hour and have been doing that since yesterday afternoon. 

 

                “Lyndsay there’s someone upstairs for you.”  Scott calls down.

 

Sighing I brush the dust off my clothes and wish I had worn something other than my Karen Millen dress.  I head to the front desk.

 

                “Can I help you?”  I ask the gentleman.

 

                “Lindsay Petersen?”

 

                “Yes.”

 

                “Can you sign for this please?”

 

I sign and take the envelope from him.

 

                “You’ve been served.”

 

I stare at the door in shock.  Luckily there was nobody on the front desk when the courier came in.  I take the paperwork to the bathroom to read it and feel sick to my stomach, Emily is suing me for breach of promise, what the fuck!

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

So will Lindsay tell Mel, will they get another chance to go to NYC...

Please review constructively and kindly...thank you xx