- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Okay so this is the lead up to the party...

CHAPTER 29 – DELUSIONS, CONFUSION & SOLUTIONS…AND A BIT OF GONE WITH THE WIND

 

BROWNSTONE – EARLY MONDAY MORNING

 

KITCHEN

 

JENNY

 

All of us, and I mean all of us, are in the kitchen trying to get breakfast sorted and us out the door on time.  Normally, this would be a cinch but momma has decided to help.  And she’s getting in the way.

 

                “Momma, could you excuse me, I’m trying to do the toast?” 

 

                “I can do that sweetheart.”

 

                “I know but it’s quicker if I do it.  I’ve got it down pat.”

 

                “Shall I pour the juice then, what does every one want?”

 

She turns to look at us all and I can see mom’s jaw going.

 

                “Orange juice, orange juice for all would be fine, right guys?”

 

We nod and smile and then she takes the glasses out, then she takes out the juices and reads the carton.

 

                “With or without bits.”

 

                “It doesn’t matter mom, just, just pour the juice.”  Gus smiles tightly.

 

She pours them and then settles down on the stool.  Once she’s out of the way, we quickly snap back into our routine, mom on eggs, Gus doing our snack boxes, mom’s travel cup and bagel for when she gets to work.

 

                “Mom, I think you need to change totes this week, it’s getting a little scratched, what protector and polish did Uncle Faal say you should use?”

 

                “Dammit I knew I meant to ask him something…”

 

                “I can ask him for you.”  Momma chirps

 

                “No mom it’s okay, I’ve got to ask him something anyways.  Mom the eggs are ready to turn.”

 

                “Let me get the plates out for you.”  Momma starts to get up.

 

                “No its okay they’re already in the oven keeping warm.  Lindz, could you just sit down please, we’ve got this.”

 

                “I just wanted to help out, if you don’t want me to then I won’t in future.”

 

And that’s it for Gus.

 

                “Mom it’s too early for dramatics.  You had all weekend to help and watch our routine, but instead you stayed in bed whilst yet again we got breakfast ready…”

 

                “Gus…”

 

                “Sorry mom, I agree with Gus.  But let’s not have this go into a full scale row, if you want to know our routine, momma, then when we get home tonight we will tell you and write it down that way you’re not in the way tomorrow morning.  Right Monday Money Day please and your MetroCard is on the side in the walk in.  Just grab it I’ll lock up.”

 

                “Okay, I’m done, remember to text Uncle Faal and here’s the shopping list.  Love you!”

 

                “Love you too.”  Gus and I call out.

 

Momma is sitting there brooding picking at her eggs; I head downstairs to lock up and when I get back she’s still in the same position, Gus just shakes his head and drains his juice.

 

                “I gotta pee.”  Gus says and dashes out.

 

                “Momma please don’t sulk.  You’ve got to see it from our point of view.  Look if you want to help take the stew out of the fridge and put the oven on cool, then set the timer to start cooking from three before you leave.  Gus come on I can hear Tag’s jalopy of an engine cranking down the street!  And remind me to speak to grandpa about that!”

 

                “Yep, will do.  Bye mom.”

 

                “By momma.”

 

She doesn’t say a word just continues to brood and poke at her eggs.

 

                “Hey guys, how you doing?”  Tag asks as we get in.

 

                “We’re getting the silent treatment this time.”  Gus sighs.

 

                “Jeez, who the fuck is the grown-up you two or her?”  Niche asks

 

                “Us!”  We chorus and that lightens the mood.

 

BROWNSTONE

 

LINDZ

 

I dump the eggs into the bin and decide to go to the diner for breakfast.  I head upstairs and get ready, I’m going to go shopping on the way home as I need a new dress for Thursday.  I can’t wait to host this party although Sydney has kept the guest list very close to his chest, I don’t see why though, it’s not as if I don’t know the patrons or the art circles he travels in. 

 

SHADYSIDE

 

MICHAEL

 

I’m still pissed off that Carl lied about sending me the email about there being no family lunch, I’m going to have a word with him face to face about that in front of ma.  I’m going to go to the diner for breakfast and then I have to go to the GLC to get what I can on the Brett Keller event.

 

DINER

 

DEBS

 

I’m so glad we had this weekend to ourselves, I love going there and the Treehouse but it was nice just for it to be us.  Carl said not one person, except Michael of course, complained about it.  I might make a suggestion about the weekends now we’ve got three places to host it, I still can’t believe what they did, then we can all have one weekend at home alone.

 

Oh Christ here comes the two maelstroms of misery, so much for my good mood.

 

                “Kiki can you do me a favour?”  I nod in their direction

 

                “With pleasure darling.”  She replies as I scoot out the back until they are seated.

 

KIKI

 

                “Morning Michael, morning Lindsay, we have a table just over there if you want to take that.”

 

They nod and sit down. 

 

Carl comes in and frowns at me and I send him to the counter and then he spots them and nods in understanding.

 

                “So what can I get you?” 

 

                “Two coffees please Kiki, no Debbie today?”  Lindsay asks

 

                “Yeah she’s working the counter today, is that it just the coffees?”

 

                “Oh I’ll have a bacon sandwich, what about you Michael, okay two bacon sandwiches please.”

 

I nod and head off to the kitchen and shield Debs as she makes it behind the counter without them noticing.

 

MICHAEL

 

                “So how was your weekend?”

 

                “Well apparently I was too busy being lazy according to my children!”

 

                “What does that mean?”

 

                “Well I was trying to help with breakfast this morning when I was told that my help wasn’t needed because they had a routine down pat but if I want to help tomorrow, they can write down what they do in order they do it.  Since, they have a routine they can stick it, I shall simply come to the diner to eat until they apologise.”

 

                “Damn right they should apologise, they have to remember who the parents are.  What did Mel say?”

 

                “Hah Mel, nothing, she said nothing.  And after that unprovoked attack by Leda when she did nothing I’m not surprised.”

 

                “Do you regret coming back?” 

 

                “Oh no!  Of course not, I just regret the attitudes they seem to have picked up since they’ve been back.”

 

                “Purely coincidental that their attitudes changed with the arrival of a certain someone…”

 

                “Yes, I mean Faal is a complete gentleman but I just don’t get how Zee fits into his world.  Like I don’t understand the attraction that Brian has for Justin…it can’t just be about the sex, surely?”

 

                “That’s the only thing he’s got going for him and once that’s gone and no doubt he cheats again, you and I will be there to pick up the pieces as usual.”

 

                “Of course, which is what friends are for.  So what did you do?”

 

                “I had a row with ma about Carl saying he sent the email saying that the weekend’s lunch was cancelled, why did he send it anyway?”

 

                “I sent it because I was asked by Brian to send it and I did send it to you Michael, for better or worse you are in the family distribution list.”  Carl interrupts

 

I look up in surprise as I hadn’t seen him come in.

 

                “I can assure you Carl I didn’t receive it.”

 

                “Look I don’t know much about technology so that’s why I had Gus set it up, this your email address correct, right and he set it up that there is a received and read receipts, it shows you received it but haven’t read it, not my fault.”

 

                “Did you check your junk mail folder…no offence Carl?”  Kiki asks

 

Sighing I scroll through and there it is in my junk folder, the moment I touch it to delete it, Carl’s phone beeps.

 

                “Now you’ve read it.  I suggest you move me to your safe addresses list so that this won’t happen again.  Red, I’ll see you later!”

 

TREEHOUSE

 

OFFICE

 

FAAL

 

                “This is Faal.  Oh hi Drew, how are you.  I know it’s awful that they aren’t talking but I’m not getting in the middle of this, we have to let them sort this out themselves, especially when they are both right.  It was a for shit week last week, mercury must have been in retrograde or some such.  No, no of course not, she’s not going to do that.  Okay we’re agreed they sort it out themselves, but if they aren’t speaking by this tomorrow we lock them in the larder and cut off the phone until they are!”

 

E&ZHoD – MID-MORNING

 

EMMY LOU

 

                “Good morning, how can I be of…”

 

My mouth drops open and I stare in shock at the man in front of me who is holding the most beautiful vase of flowers I have ever seen.

 

                “Emmy Lou Honeycutt?”

 

I nod.

 

                “You are a very lucky man sir, please sign here, I was almost tempted to keep them myself.  Whoever got you these must love you very much.”

 

With shaking hands I sign and then take the vase.  There are Black Jack lilies, violet tulips with white edges, purple and blue roses, dark red amaryllis and burgundy and purple gerberas.  And the note says…”it’s too quiet, sorry Zee”

 

Sniffling and just about able to see the table, I place the vase gently down and go to see my girl, she looks up from reading the menu.

 

                “They’re as beautiful as the girl who gave them to me…come here.”

 

I’m almost knocked to the floor as she barrels into my chest and we almost break each other’s ribs hugging so hard.

 

                “Promise me we will never fight like that again, promise me?”  She sobs

 

                “Oh no, no fucking way are we doing that again, it was horrible, I spent most of Friday night crying!  And then when the email came on Saturday, thinking you were going to dissolve the partnership!”

 

                “So are you keeping them here or taking them home?” 

 

                “Home of course!  But I didn’t get you a sorry present, I will fix this.  No I will fix it understand?”

 

She nods and we both burst out laughing and then wipe our eyes.

 

                “So this week we’re concentrating solely on Sydney’s party.  We need to test the food so I think a lockdown on Tuesday is called for and fine tweaking on Wednesday.  What do you think?”

 

                “I think we need another papa bear email don’t you?”

 

                “Indeed, let me call him.  But first I need to send a picture of these to Drew and ask him to come pick them up.  You’ve set the benchmark for apology flowers, I hope he takes this on board!”

 

BOYD HONEYCUTT HOUSE

 

DREW

 

                “Fuck me she knows how to say sorry, they are gorgeous!”  I tell Mitchell after I show him the picture.

 

                “She does indeed Master Drew.”

 

Wait he wants me to get her what?!

 

URBANOWICZ JEWELLERS

 

BRIAN

 

Fuck I can’t believe how nervous I am about this.

 

                “Good morning sirs, how may we help you?”

 

                “Yes we’re here to look at wedding bands, well one in particular and we need them engraved by the end of March.”

 

                “Of course, my name in Seth, now which one was it?”

 

                “It’s CF228013S14K11 and do you do ear piercings?

 

                “Ah that is a most beautiful ring, and yes to the piercings.  Now sir may I see your engagement ring?  Oh yes that would complement it perfectly the rose gold picking up the red diamond, we could make that a little darker and take down the shine on the white gold, would that be something you would like to consider.  Please sir take my handkerchief, I have plenty.  Now with regards to the piercing.  Oh are these the same as the engagement ring, a novel and original spin, let me take you through to Martha, she’s our piercer and she can get the placing right for you.  In the meantime I can give you an idea of what your rings could look like and get some fonts for you to look at, though we may have to go with a wider band depending on the font.”

 

I follow him through pulling a sniffling Justin with me and 5 minutes later it’s done, we head back to Seth and pick fonts and wordings but we have vowed not to show each other until the wedding day.

 

                “Come on stop, it’s supposed to be a happy time.” 

 

I pull him into the back of the jeep and let him cry for a good 10 minutes.

 

                “I-I’m so fucking happy you wouldn’t believe it.”  He hiccups.

 

                “No you wouldn’t judging by the state of you!  Do I have to take you home and fuck your brains out to stop you from crying?”

 

                “Yes absolutely!”

 

BLOOM GALLERY – EARLY AFTERNOON

 

LYDIA

 

I’m finally in charge, well for the time being.  I hope that Justin likes what I’ve done, I can’t believe that Brian and Zee bought the Uptown as well in the end.  It will be a wrench to go back to the Uptown but at least I have a stake in it too, when I suggested it to Richard he leapt at it. 

 

                “Um Lydia may I have a word?”

 

                “Ah Lindsay, come in, I meant to talk to you on Friday but you went before I could.  You first.”

 

She sits down and straightens her skirt.

 

                “I just wanted to know a couple of things, one what will my role be within Bloom and Uptown and…”

 

                “Let me stop you there, you’ll only work here, for now, why would you think otherwise?”

 

                “Well I have experience in the renaissance field and I was mentoring Martine…”

 

                “Yes but Uptown is going to be showcasing newer artists as I said on Friday, so therefore your, ahem, strength lies here.  As for your role here, it is the same as it was before but in a joint capacity…”

 

                “Joint?”  She blanches slightly

 

                “Oh don’t worry none of your pay and benefits will be altered but now we are pure renaissance and classics here it doesn’t seem fair to have it all on your shoulders.  And also I have brought over one of my practices from Uptown, a shared diary only for when you are out of the office of course.  And of course we will have Cataloguing and Rehang Fridays, which between you and me was the only way I could get Richard to agree to dress down, I hate all this stuffiness that sometimes come with art…”

 

                “Cataloguing and Rehang Fridays?”  She echoes.

 

                “Yes, actually, it was Martine’s idea via Hunter, we never open to the public on Fridays at Uptown.  That’s the day we would do cataloguing and change the pictures, check for anything that needed fixing, catch up as a team and the like so we could start fresh on Monday.  And your second question?”

 

                “Uh, um, yes, about Sydney’s party.  I wondered what capacity my role would be, after all I’m one of Sydney’s most loyal and longest serving employees.”

 

                “Of course, I understand, we you like most of the people there would be a guest, a valued one but nevertheless a guest.  Sydney has decided that myself, as one of his closest friends, Hunter and Martine as the organisers will be hosting it, it’s only fair after all the hard work they’ve put in.  I know there are going to be speeches and if you want to make one you would need to speak to Norma who has a list.  Now I have a call to make so if there’s nothing else and could you update the shared diary by the end of the day, thank you Lindsay.”

 

As she leaves, I think to myself now that my dear is your ass put in place Lydia style!

 

LINDZ

 

I head back to my desk and fume.  How dare she dismiss the importance and significance I have in Sydney’s life art wise?  Guest, I am more than a guest! 

 

                “Morning Lindsay how’re you today?”  George asks

 

                “Fine George fine.  You?  Oh where are you off to?” 

 

                “Great I’m off to The Williams Estate sale, it’s in the diary.  See you later.”

 

I smile tightly at him and watch him scurry out.  Sighing, I open up my pc and the first thing to load is the staff diary.

 

                “Okay that’s new.”  I mutter

 

                “It a new thing from Lydia, makes life so much easier.  It’s standard across Bloom, when you log in the first thing that loads is the diary.  You’re khaki.” 

 

Cara tells me pausing before she heads to Lydia’s office loaded down with paperwork.  I look at the diary and my temper rises, not only has George gone to the Williams Estate but Jonas is going to the auction in Lawrenceville and Lydia is going to three in Squirrel Hill and we have two showings this week together.

 

I head back to her office and knock sharply.

 

                “Come in.  Lindsay oh good, I was about to buzz you.  Right if you can get those flights and hotels booked for us that would be great.”

 

Cara nods and flashing me a smile heads out.

 

                “Sorry Lindsay, I meant to tell you who you would be joint gallery manager with it’ll be Scottie, he was in Uptown and since there’s already a Scott here and he doesn’t mind he’s now Scottie.  And what I wanted to talk to you about is San Francisco, you and I are going to be there for two days next week because of an auction and the Barker-Rosen Estate sale.  I know its short notice but I hope you can make it.”

 

                “But of course, I can when would we fly out?” 

 

                “Great!  That would be around lunch time on Monday back on Thursday evening.  Two days of auctioning and then the rest of the trip on the sale and trying to generate swaps and making new contacts.” 

 

I am stunned and a bit smug and head back to my desk and smile across at Scottie.

 

BROWNSTONE

 

KITCHEN

 

JENNY

 

“What a bitch of a day that was.  Did we get everything on the list?” 

 

Gus looks at the oven and gives a small smile and then starts to unload the shopping

 

                “You’ve got to be fucking kidding me!”  He barks when he opens the fridge.

 

                “What?  What did we miss, it can’t be that bad, and I can simply go back out again?”

 

He points at the oven and shakes his head.

               

“What’s the matter, the oven’s on.”  I tell him

 

                “Yeah it fucking helps if she put the stew in!”

 

                “Okay let’s go do our homework.”

 

                “But J!”

 

                “No Gus if we put the stew on it absolves her of blame, this is one row I want them to have!”

 

I am so fucking cross!

 

                “Hey Aunt Zee, its Jenny…”

 

UPTOWN

 

MAREK

 

                “Hunter and Martine, may I have a word please?”

 

As they come into the office looking so nervous I haven’t got the heart to string this out.

 

                “Relax, you’ve done nothing wrong!”

 

They relax and I can almost hear Hunter sighing with relief.

 

                “Now it’s about next week, we think it’s important that you get some auction experience and there happens to be a couple of days of auctions coming up as well as other things I think we should look at and consider for Uptown.  Now the first things we need to do, obviously is get business cards sorted out, you will be making lots of contacts.  You need to pack for at least one or is it two, no it’s one reception and a dinner.  Normally this would be something a senior curator would do but you’re doing excellent jobs and organising the party too so consider this a bit of a reward.  Any questions?”

 

They stare at me in surprise and then shake their heads.

 

                “Are you absolutely sure there’s nothing you need to ask me?”

 

They look at each other and then me and shrug.

 

                “How about where you are going?”

 

I have to laugh at the realisation that dawns across their faces and have to remember that they are still young and this is their first proper job.

 

                “Well where are we going Marek?”  Miranda asks.

 

                “San Fran.  Home of the Golden Gate.”

 

DINER

 

DEBS

 

I’ve had a long day and am so glad to be going home now, Carl is coming to pick me up in 10 minutes.  I rest my head against the booth and sigh.

 

                “Debs, it’s not you, it’s him.  It always has been him so stop this Italian mother routine of guilt.”

 

I smile at Kiki who’s placed a cup of French roast in front of me.

 

                “Don’t let Tony see that.”  I tell her.

 

                “Who do you think bought it?”  She smiles.

 

                “Look, you are my friend and sometime confidante but you need to know some things about your son.  Just because he’s not been taught to accept the consequences of his actions, hear me out before you rip my head off, doesn’t mean he can’t learn to and until he wants to learn then he will always be reamed a new one and not in a good way.”

 

I take a sip of my coffee and think about what she’s said and then I get good and mad.

 

                “Hey Red, you ready?”  Carl slides into the booth next to me and squeezes my hand.

 

                “That presumptuous little asshole!  How dare he tell me what I can and can’t do and how dare he think that it’s routine for him to turn up for lunch.  Carl, call Zee!  Do you want me casted?  Yes?  Good then I’m doing it!”

 

GLC

 

MICHAEL

 

There is a bit of a queue at reception but finally I’m seen.

 

                “Hi I want to buy a ticket for the Brett Keller Talk and Workshop.  No just the one, that’s great thanks.  Is there a programme that comes with it?  Oh I see, once again thanks.”

 

I head back to my car with my precious ticket in my hand, suck on that Boy Wonder and Crystal Twink*!

 

TREEHOUSE

 

FAAL

 

I’m staring at them and they are staring at me and I just don’t quite understand what Emmy Lou was thinking but at least he’s got us everything we could possibly need.

 

                “Hey geliefde I’m ho…what the hell are they?!”

 

                “Not sure but Emmy Lou sent them.”

 

She stares at them again and then digs her phone out of her bag.

 

                “Hey Emmy Lou can you and Drew come over for dinner tonight, seems we need to have a little chat.  Okay in about an hour, order from Tako good for you, seriously this week I’m cooking nothing.”

 

                “Any ideas as to why?”  I pull her into my arms and chuckle

 

                “None whatsoever, I got him flowers for heaven sake!”

 

90 MINUTES LATER

 

FAAL

 

                “Hey guys, come in, uh let’s go to the lounge bubbles okay?”  I ask trying not to smile.

 

                “Oh yes, my girl and I have had a day of it.  Did you guys hear, Michael was bitching about not being…”

 

Emmy Lou is stock still and staring at the basket in front of the fire.

 

                “What are they?”  He breathes approaching so quietly so as not to scare them.

 

                “What do you mean what are they, they’re what you asked me to get gold and cream Havanese puppies.  Man they are cute!”  Drew joins him at the basket.

 

                “No I never asked you to do that, oh their fur is like silk!”

 

Zee and I exchange looks.

 

                “Yes you did, here see.”  He hands over the phone.  “Can I pick one up?”

 

                “Sure.”  I nod.

 

                “Uh Drewsie, didn’t you think it was a little odd that I would ask you to get puppies for two of the busiest people we know.  Why didn’t you double check with me.  I’m so cross with you.”

 

He chides him quietly so as to not scare them, then turns to look at us with tears in his eyes.

 

                “They have to go back don’t they?” 

 

                “Yeah, sorry sweetheart we just can’t have them, they need attention and it’s not fair on them.”

 

He takes a heaving sob as the one in the basket licks his hand.

 

                “But, but they’re here now you can’t send them back, it’s a reputable guy, they are house trained, don’t take much training for commands and…” 

 

Drew trails off, it hasn’t gone unnoticed he’s not put the puppy down, who is burrowing into his neck, I wink at Zee and she winks back.

 

                “We don’t have the time Drew nor the staff to look after them in our absence…”

 

                “We do, we have the staff and Drew has the time, no they are not going back, no!”  Emmy Lou virtually stamps his feet.  “And maybe, maybe they can sit and watch us work and it will give us an opportunity to get out whenever we get tense with each other, we say ‘going to walk the dog’ is our cue that we need space!”

 

                “Please?”  Drew begs.

 

Now who could resist a 6 ft 2 ex-ironman with a puppy licking his neck?   I find myself in the vice like grip of Emmy Lou before he drops to his knees and the puppy tumbles into his arms.

 

BROWNSTONE – EARLY EVENING

 

LINDZ

 

I had an excellent evening’s shopping, I think I have found the perfect dress.  And I can’t wait to tell them about my San Francisco trip. 

 

                “Hi guys, how was your day to…Mel what’s wrong?”

 

                “Was this payback for not letting you help this morning?”  Mel asks heatedly.

 

                “What are you…?”

 

                “Care to check the stew?”

 

I take the oven mitts down and open the oven door and…oh fuck!

 

                “Mel, you’ve got to believe me this wasn’t deliberate.”

 

                “Of course not!  Which is why I found the eggs we cooked dumped in the bin and heard from Debs that you were at the diner this morning having breakfast!  Which apparently you are going to continue to do until we apologise to you!”

 

The doorbell goes and Gus dashes to answer it.  He comes back in with a takeaway bag.

 

                “Ooh Tako!  And the big board yes!  J come on!” 

 

Jenny comes down the stairs and barely glances at me.

 

                “At the risk of sounding right, but since you have food what is the fucking problem?”  I demand.

 

                “At the risk of also sounding right if you had done what you were fucking asked to fucking do we wouldn’t have to have a fucking take away in the first fucking place!”  Mel bellows.  “I swear to God Lindsay Petersen, not one more fucking thing out of your mouth unless it is I’m sorry!”

 

I have never seen Mel so angry, her face is white with fury.

 

                “Mom.  Which one do you want?”  Jenny asks quietly.

 

                “The duck confit please.  Gus can you get some juice out and Jenny can you pour me a glass of red, think there’s some from Sunday.  Your Uncle Faal went all out, I think you could take these for lunch tomorrow.  Oh actually, that’s a point, got an email from your grandpa…”

 

                “I’m sorry.  Mel, guys I’m sorry.  Can the stew be frozen?  I’ve got a showing with Lydia tomorrow and Wednesday night, then the retirement party for Sydney, maybe we can have it on Friday.  I would like to eat it with you guys.”

 

Gus looked at me and frowns.

 

                “We can’t on Friday as we’re going to be at the Treehouse remember, we go to Portland first thing on Saturday, still can’t believe we are flying from their house here to the house in Portland!”

 

Damn I had forgotten about that.

 

                “Maybe we can take it with us?”

 

                “Nope, they’ve already ordered food from Kaya, have you put your order in momma?”

 

                “Yes Lindz please put your order in, we don’t want a repeat of Sunday do we?”

 

TUESDAY MID-AFTERNOON

 

E&ZHoD

 

ZEE

 

                “Emmy Lou, please take her out!”

 

                “Why Miss Scarlett is the epitome of class and refinement and is just watching you work.”

 

                “Uh huh, come this side and watch what happens.”

 

He comes behind the counter and the moment I start to chop up the meat and start to fry she cocks her head and then turns on the full-on puppy eyes.

 

                “Okay, good point I’ll move her in a bit, I’ll stay here and make sure you don’t weaken.”

 

                “Thank you.  How the fuck have they become such divas after only being with you two for less than two days?”

 

Emmy Lou chuckles and sighs.

 

                “Drewsie, he spent most of Monday night when we got home with them carrying them from room to room telling them where they could and couldn’t go.  Though that being said Mitchell is in deep smit with Miss Scarlett already but Rhett is Drewsie’s little boy.”

 

I shake my head and smile and hear the doorbell go and judging by the excited yips it would appear that daddy has arrived.

 

                “Ems you here!  Why is he all alone?”  Drew calls coming in with Rhett in his arms

 

                “Drewsie, honey, he’s not all alone and he has legs, which he is capable of using, now put him down and let him walk from place to place when you’re in his presence.”

 

Drew puts him down and Rhett joins Miss Scarlett on their day bed, seriously how does he get stuff ordered so damn fast?

 

                “So everyone’s coming for the lockdown tasting tonight right?” 

 

Drew asks pinching a piece of meat from the skillet and heading to the puppies

 

                “Drewsie either eat it or put that back, this is a place of work, they can’t be fed human food here!”

 

                “Why don’t you take them both for a walk Drew?”

 

He looks sheepish and pops the steak in his mouth and makes a face of happiness, gathers the puppies and is gone.

 

                “I think everyone’s coming, except Lindz who has a showing, according to Mel.  Oh that’s what I was going to tell you before we got puppified, last night.  Apparently, Michael was pissed that there was no lunch over the weekend and that he was told via Carl and not Brian, turns out Carl’s email went to his junk folder, I’m hoping that this is the case for tonight as I could do without his presence.”

 

                “Why does he think he has the right to come over, we only have him over for Jenny’s sake, doesn’t he realise that none of the hosts like him?”  I snort and adjust the seasoning for the steak.

 

                “Apparently not.”  He giggles.

 

KINNETIC

 

BRIAN’S OFFICE

 

TED

 

                “So our projections for this quarter are that we should see an increase in profits of 12% on last quarter and you can use the tax write off for last quarter for the wedding.”

 

                “We got our rings yesterday.”  Brian’s voice is so quiet and awestruck.

 

                “Are you having second thoughts?”  I ask worriedly.

 

                “No, of course not, I want to marry him but I don’t have the words for the rings.  I can sell anything in the world but I don’t think I can sell myself.”

 

                “Bri, you don’t have to.  He already bought you hook line and sinker when he was 17, 17 for fuck sake he kept coming back no matter what you did or said he kept coming back.”

 

                “True, I still feel guilt over the prom…”

 

                “Well you can stop that shit right now, the only person who should feel guilt and doesn’t is that cunt Hobbs.”  I growl

 

                “Oooh Theodore the c-word how vulgar, yet appropriate.”

 

                “I have my moments of eloquence.”

 

                “I rise and set with him, he’s my sunshine and I can’t…” 

 

The catch in his throat is unmistakable, quietly I get up and pour a beam and hand to him.

 

                “That’s it Brian, you found the words.  I’ll be in my office if you need me.”

 

                “Thank you Theodore.”

 

BLOOM

 

LYDIA

 

                “Lyndsay, how’s the set up for tonight’s showing going?”

 

                “Oh fine, fine, it’s a shame that we couldn’t get Emmy Lou to cater but…”

 

                “These things and all that.  Oh, it’s that how you’re going to show the Degas?”

 

She looks at it and then at me.

 

                “Why is there a problem?”

 

                “You mean apart from the glare, I think the lights need adjusting and it’s a bit too high.  And I think we need to swap the Monets over as well.  Oh who does the flowers for the showings?”

 

                “Bridgetown Flowers, we’ve used them for a while now, they know what Sydney likes.”

 

                “Ah I thought so, I recognise the foliage, are they doing tomorrow’s as well?  Are they on a retainer of some sort?”

 

                “Yes they are and I believe we pay by event.”

 

                “Okay, I’ll get Cara to double check that.  I don’t really like them, we used to use them at Uptown but I found their presentations a mite old fashioned, so we swapped to Helbert & Fuchsia Florals, they have a much more modern approach.  I think for the shows next week we could try them.”

 

                “But Sydney…”

 

                “Is no longer here, I know that change takes getting used to but change has come and it will continue to come so let’s move forward together shall we?”

 

Her smile does not reach her eyes and the anger is pouring off her in waves.

 

                “Of course Lydia, you have my support all the way.”

 

                “Great.”

 

DINER – EARLY EVENING

 

DEBS

 

The kids are currently doing their homework, I gave them something light to eat.  Everyone else is meeting us here so that we can walk to the tasting.  Carl told me what Michael accused him of and I was furious and speak of the devil.

 

                “Hi ma.  Hey Jenny, Gus what are you guys doing here?”

 

                “Waiting for mom and the rest of the guys before we go to the tasting.”  Jenny replies

 

He sits down opposite her and frowns.

 

                “What tasting?” 

 

                “The tasting for the party they’re hosting on Thursday.”

 

                “Who’s hosting?” 

 

                “Michael they are trying to do their homework, come and sit over here.” 

 

                “So whose hosting what tasting for Thursday?”  He asks sitting down sulkily.

 

                “Ems and Zee are and we’ve been asked to taste it, it’s their first big party.”

 

I busy myself wiping down the counter and wait for the inevitable.

 

                “I didn’t know about that.”

 

                “Why would you?”  I ask.

 

                “Because.  And now I can’t come tonight, I’ve got other plans.”

 

                “Oh what are you up to?”

 

                “Going to Lawrenceville for a collectibles swap.”

 

                “Well then you couldn’t have come anyway…”

 

                “No it’s okay I can go another to Lawrenceville any time I can…”

 

                “No, you can’t let the people down who you’ve already made plans with it wouldn’t be fair would it?”

 

He thinks for a bit and then reluctantly nods.

 

                “Okay I better be off, I actually came in for some lemon bars, so can I have a couple of them for the trip?”

 

                “Here.” 

 

                “Great, see you kids, see if you can grab a doggie bag for me.” 

 

                “Michael you’ve forgotten to do something haven’t you?”  Kiki calls out.  “I believe it’s called saying thank you and paying.”

 

He pauses and then comes back and puts down some money and mumbles thanks and leaves, Kiki returns the thumbs up from Jenny with a wink.

 

MICHAEL

 

As I head back to my car, I check my emails, nothing from Carl about the tasting.  I get in and have one of the lemon bars and decide to give Lindz a quick call.

 

                “Hi Lindsay it’s me, how are you, you sound a little distracted.  Oh okay, no we’ll speak later then.”

 

I start the engine and head to the swap meet.

 

BLOOM

 

LINDSAY

 

                “The showing is going well isn’t it?”  I ask Scottie who nods whilst nibbling on a canapé

 

I look round for Lydia and can’t see her.

 

                “Have you seen Lydia?”

 

                “Mmm, she’s had to pop out for an hour or so?  Yeah she’s gone to the tasting for Sydney’s party.  I can’t wait for Thursday.”

 

                “Tasting where?”

 

                “At Em & Zee’s, she said she’s be back in time to say goodbye to the patrons.  Oh excuse me, I’ve been trying to speak to Mrs Dember all night and she’s finally free.”

 

E&ZHoD – TASTING EVENING

 

EMMY LOU

 

I swear I’m going to kill that man of mine.  He’s only brought them with him.  And now everyone is cooing over them, I thought Jenny was going to explode when she saw them.  Mel has already been on the receiving end of pretty please looks from her and Zee is of no help whatsoever.

 

                “Aunt Zee would let us have dogs wouldn’t you?”

 

                “Well there isn’t a no pet policy currently in place…”

 

                “Zee!”  Mel admonishes, whilst burying her nose in Miss Scarlett’s fur

 

                “Gotta admit Boyd they are kinda cute.” 

 

Brian sips champagne whilst admiring from a safe Armani distance.

 

                “Come on people let’s get tasting and no they can’t come in Drew!”  Zee calls out.  “So Sydney wanted a French theme for the dinner and semi-French for the pre-dinner cocktails and canapés.  Right first things first are the cocktails, he wants raspberry and blueberry ones.  The first one is Late Night Club, this has raspberry sugar syrup, gin, pineapple and lime juice and rosewater in the coupe.  And the second is Blueberry Lemonade, made with blueberry vodka, lemonade, lemon slices and blueberries in the hi-ball.”

 

                “Not sure about the blueberry one it tastes a bit…”  Lydia stalls for a minute.

 

                “Boring?”  Zee prompts.

 

We all nod. 

 

                “Okay, here’s another blueberry one.  Blueberry Martini, instead of lemonade, there’s lemon and lime soda, and also Cointreau.

 

                “Oh this is much better, much better.”  Jennifer smiles.

 

                “Wait, where are the jars?”  Justin asks.  “And what happened to the cash from the last time?”

 

                “No jars this time and went to our respective charities.”  Emmy Lou explains winking at Zee.

 

                “Okay now for canapés: scallop and truffle carpaccio, eggplant caviar, chilli duck kebab and mini beef and Dijon sandwiches. We’re not sure that the duck kebab fits so we’ve also done mini chicken and tarragon puff pie.

 

                “Ditch the duck.”  Carl calls out.  “As in cut from the menu, I’ll take the rest home!”

 

                “Get in line papa bear!”  Justin retorts.

 

                “As delicious as they are, they don’t work with as well as the pies do.”  Martine nods.

 

                “Um one other thing, I think you might need another vegetarian canapé.”  Ben suggests

 

                “Yeah we thought that too, so mini mushroom omelettes and to make it an even six can we add griddled asparagus wrapped in Bayonne ham?” 

 

They taste them and they’re in.  And now for the main event, she’s taking a deep breath, I know she’s nervous about it.  Even though we both did the desserts, I did the vegetarian starter and main but she’s done the main meal.

 

                “Okay the vegetarian course first.” I hold my hands up for the groans. “I know I know but it has to be done, the starter is as Shirred Eggs, baked in cream, cheese and sprinkled with chives and parmesan and for main vegetarian cassoulet with garlic bread.” 

 

                “Oh this is good.  But I would lose the garlic bread, it’s a bit too heavy with the beans.”  Steve says.

 

                “Or maybe have the bread with the eggs instead?”  Lydia suggests.  “And served under the eggs, like a French Eggs Benedict?”

 

                “Ooh girl I like that, okay we’ll make that adjustment, and it works better to balance out the starter and main that Zee has done.  And speaking of which, take the floor you!”

 

                “Okay the starter is mini lobster thermidors and the main is lamb Provencal with honey.”  Zee sighs.

 

As they dig in there is silence and we both know we’ve nailed it.

 

                “Oh this is not bad, not bad at all.  Maybe make the lobster chunks at little chunkier but do absolutely nothing with the lamb it is perfection.”  Brian groans.  “Baby seriously just no.”

 

                “And so to puddings, plural…”

 

                “Yes the good bits…I mean the rest was okay, I mean…I’m being quiet now.”  Jenny trails off blushing

 

Everyone laughs at our little pitbull and we bring out the desserts.

 

                “Blueberry soufflé and chocolate fondant.” 

 

                “Seriously Justin go down the other end or Carl can I have your handcuffs!  What is it with you and eating off my plate when it’s their food?”

 

                “It taste better off your plate and besides it’s after seven and you don’t do carbs…”

 

                “I can’t work it off if I don’t eat it.”  Brian asserts standing up.

 

                “Good point.”  Justin mutters only just conceding.

 

                “So it’s a yes for everything except the duck kebabs then?”

 

                “Oh what about the wine?”  Debs calls out.  “Don’t think we haven’t seen those bottles over there.  And since some of us aren’t coming to this shindig we should at least have some wine!”

 

Zee shakes her head and enlists the help of Tucker, Ben, Faal and Lydia to open the wines whilst the rest of us clear the table, the kids are looking a little tired so we send them to sit on the sofa and despite their protests cover them with a blanket.

 

                “Oh shit, sorry guys I’ve got to get back to the showing!”  Lydia gasps.  “Lyndsay is going to be, for once, understandably pissed off I’ve been gone so long!”

 

BLOOM

 

LYDIA

 

                “Lyndsay, I’m sorry I took so long I had a tasting for Sydney’s dinner to attend.  How’s it been?” 

 

                “Busy, but I managed.  Scottie had to go early too so effectively I was on my own.”  She replies.

 

                “Did we sell anything?”  I’m going to ignore that tone for now.

 

                “A couple of pieces.  So how was it?”

 

                “Huh 0h the tasting, very nice, very nice indeed.  Look why don’t you go I’ll close this down.”

 

She sighs dramatically and nods.

 

                “Thanks, I’ll just give Mel a call and let her know I’m on my way home.”

 

                “Mel’s at the tasting…”

 

And as soon as I said it, I knew that I shouldn’t have, her face darkens and she grinds her jaw.

 

                “Of course she is.  I had forgotten.  Well, I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

 

Once she heads out I grab my phone and quickly send Ems, Zee, Hunter and Miranda a text and hope that one of them gets it before Lyndsay gets there.

 

E&ZHoD

 

DEBS

 

                “Okay so what are we going to do with any leftovers?”  I ask Ems

 

                “Huh?  We only made enough for one…oh shit!  Mel come read this quick!”

 

Mel reads his phone and her head drops.  I have a quick look and groan.

 

                “Oh well let’s hope she can contain herself until we get home at least.”

 

She looks across at the kids who have dozed off with the puppies on top of them, they are jolted awake by the harsh rapping at the door heralds the arrival of Hurricane Lyndsay.

 

                “Let me handle this.”  Faal waves Hunter away from the door.

 

                “This should be good.”  Zee smirks.

 

                “Why?  What’s he going to do?”  Miranda asks.

 

                “Take one for the team of course.”  She replies and sips her wine. 

 

He opens the door and beams at her.

 

                “Lindsay!  Come in come in, please have a glass of wine, red or white?”

 

                “Red please.  Mel could I…”

 

                “I apologise unreservedly…”  Faal continues to talk over her

 

                “You do what for?”  She looks confused.

 

                “Delaying Lydia when she wanted to go back earlier and for not letting you know about the tasting in the first place.  After Mel said you had a showing, I just didn’t send you the email, forgive me and Lydia, it was entirely my fault.  Please, don’t be angry with anyone but me.”  

 

He drapes his arm round her shoulders and kisses her cheek and I think she’s going to faint, out of the corner of my eye I see Justin roll his eyes and Blake hides his smile behind his coffee mug.

 

                “It, it was an easy mistake to make, though I was a bit upset.”

 

                “I know but you can’t stay angry with me for ever, can you?”

 

She flicks her hair and smiles at him and then sighs.

 

                “Of course not.”

 

                “Good now go and greet your lovely wife, whilst I get back in the good graces of mine for almost causing a silly little row.”

 

As he comes towards Zee and I he rolls his eyes and makes a gagging face, he pulls her into his arms and I hear him whisper.

 

                “Leda gets to come on Saturday deal?”

 

                “Deal.”

 

I smile and head over to Carl tell him what I overheard, he bursts out laughing and says that it’s definitely going to be an interesting weekend!

 

SHADYSIDE – THURSDAY MID-MORNING

 

MICHAEL

 

Well Lawrenceville was a bust.  I went all the way over there and the guy didn’t show.  Turns out there was another event at Red Cape and he went there instead, fucking Crystal Twink banning me like that!  I might as well go to the diner for breakfast.

 

RED CAPE COMICS

 

LUCAS

 

                “Hi Uncle Brett, do you ever sleep!  No I haven’t had breakfast yet, why, what you’re where?!”

 

I dash outside and there is my favourite Uncle leaning against his car.

 

                “What the hell are you doing here?”

 

                “Have some business to attend and I thought I would stop off here on my way.  So are you going to show me around?”

 

I pull him into the shop, just in time for Stuart to come out from the back; he stops and then stares in shock.

 

                “Brett Keller?  The Brett Keller is standing in front of me…”

 

                “Yes indeed, and you must be Stuart, thanks for giving my nephew a chance, he’s come a long from where he was.  Uh, you’re kinda leaving me hanging here…”

 

                “Stuart!”  I hiss at him and that brings him round.

 

                “Sorry!”  Stuart quickly shakes his hand and blushes.

 

                “Come on Mr Starstruck let’s show him round.”  I tease him.

 

We spend the next 20 minutes showing Uncle Brett the place and he nods approvingly.

 

                “Michael has made some great changes since the last time, to be honest it was a bit of a dump.”

 

                “Oh no Michael Novotny doesn’t own the store anymore, it belongs to Blake Wyzecki and Kinnetic.”

 

                “Kinnetic as in Brian Kinney?”

 

                “The one and the same, he and his partner, sorry fiancé, Justin Taylor have a 20% stake in it.”

 

Uncle Brett chuckles and reaches for his phone.

 

                “Justin Taylor soon to be Kinney.  What are you up to right this second?  Great can you meet me at, somewhere my nephew is taking me to eat, so we can discuss this event my nephew has talked me into.  I haven’t got long though about 2-3 hours.  Hey in the film world that’s not long!”

 

He hangs up and looks thoughtful.

 

                “Come on let’s go…actually I think this conversation would be better held here, can you get a to-go order instead?  Let me call Justin back.”

 

                “I can get it and then leave you guys in peace?”  Stuart offers.

 

                “That’s great thanks Stuart.  Hey Justin, change of venue, can we meet at the comic book store instead, great see you in about 15 minutes.”

 

DINER

 

DEBS

 

Well Faal’s taking one for the team worked. Not sure how she’s going to feel about Portland and I wonder if Leda will be staying overnight like the rest of us…should be interesting having them both under the same roof for the next few days.

 

                “Hey Stuart, how you doing honey?” 

 

                “I’m fine can I have two bacon sandwiches, one salmon and cream cheese bagel, toasted and that’s to-go.”

 

                “You sure you’re okay you’re looking a little nervous.”

 

Just then Michael comes in and scowls at Stuart.

 

                “Whatever you’re going to say don’t!”  I tell him firmly.

 

He sits down and waits for me to pour him some coffee.

 

                “What can I get you?” 

 

                “Bacon, eggs, over easy, toast and hash browns.”

 

Stuart really does look nervous and keeps checking his watch.

 

                “Is it going to be much longer Debs?  I really have to get back.” 

 

                “Another 2 minutes, honey you sure you’re okay.”

 

                “Okay I need to tell someone, can we go out back?”  He mutters.

 

DINER OFFICE

 

STUART

 

                “You remember Rage the movie that wasn’t?  Did you ever meet Brett Keller?”

 

                “Knew all about the movie, Michael wrote the original comic you know but never met Brett Keller though why?”

 

                “He did?  I didn’t know that, explains a lot.  Anyway, he’s sitting in the comic book store.” 

 

I nod slowly.

 

                “And I’m having a major fan girl moment have you seen the guy he’s gorgeous!” 

 

                “Oh I see, well let’s see if we can get this order hurried along shall we?”  I grin at him.

 

When we come out I find myself staring at the back of Kiki. 

 

                “Um Kiki, what’re you doing?” 

 

                “Oh just stopping people getting lost on their way to the bathroom.”  She smiles tightly at Michael.

 

                “Debs order up!”

 

I hand over Stuart’s order and he dashes back to the store, as I start to fill up empty coffee cups I cuff Michael on the back of his head on the way back round the counter.

 

                “What was that for?”  He gripes rubbing his head.

 

                “For trying to put your nose where it doesn’t belong!”

 

BLOOM – EARLY AFTERNOON

 

LINDZ

 

                “Lydia about this evening, what time should we get there?”

 

                “Well cocktails are to be served from six thirty so any time from then onwards, dinner is at seven thirty.  I still can’t believe they got the Clayton for this.”

 

        “No, I meant I could help check that the ambiance of the evening is in order, many hands make light work as they say…”

 

                “Do they?  Now can I have everyone’s attention please, we’re shutting up shop in 20 minutes so that you can go home and get your fancy duds on.  Cara, can you come with me apparently I need an ambience checker, Lyndsay I’ll leave you to lock up and set the alarm.  See you all later.”

 

I nod and smile as she and Cara scurry out, I follow behind to lock the door.

 

                “Lydia, what’s an ambiance checker?”

 

                “Fucked if I know darling, maybe we’ll find out whilst we’re getting our nails done!”

 

I shut the door sharply behind them and wave as they hail a cab.

 

BROWNSTONE – 1 HOUR LATER

 

MEL

 

She’s been railing against the unfairness of not being to be on the “committee” since the party for Sydney was mooted and when she told me what Lydia said to Cara I was biting my tongue so hard I could taste blood.  The problem with Lindsay Petersen is that she never knows when to stop pushing.

 

                “Well I’m determined to make my presence felt this evening, she’s not going to push me aside in her quest for glory!”

 

                “In her quest…”  I repeat incredulously.

 

                “Yes!  Now I’m going to have a nap and then get ready, I hope the boys haven’t used all the hot water!”

 

                “No they were getting ready at the loft.”

 

                “They?”  She turns to face me.

 

                “Yes, just like you are bringing me, Hunter is bringing Matt.”

 

RED CAPE COMICS

 

JUSTIN

 

                “So once we’re done at the GLC then we come back here for a perspective of your works?  Okay?”

 

                “Perfect absolutely, perfect.  So how did you come to hold a 20% stake in this place?  And what is Michael doing now?”

 

                “Sure you want to hear this?”

 

                “Would love to but really do have to get back to LA this evening and…”

 

                “Shit is that the time, I’ve got to get ready for a party I’ve got to go too, look I’ll catch you up on this when you’re back in the Pitts and you’re staying with us you understand?”

 

                “Absolutely!  I want to see the infamous Britin!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*apologies, don’t worry though when he says it he finds out exactly what Blake’s snapping point is

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively.  Thank you. xx