- Text Size +

CHAPTER 32 – PORTLAND PART TWO…REVELATIONS

 

ZEE

 

                “Aunt Zee can we go explore the maze?”  Gus asks heading out with Matt and Hunter.

 

                “Yeah sure, take your phones though.” 

 

They wave them at me and head out.

 

                “Maze!  You are talking about mazes when I only have…how long do I have…oh God mom come on!  Auntie Ems you too!”

               

I chuckle as Jenny pelts out of the room and yelling for Mel to follow and quickly.  She grins and rushes after her, followed by Emmy Lou.

 

                “When you catch up with her, you might want to tell her that they’re not getting here until half five and it’s not even 1100 yet?”  I call out and shake my head at the cuteness.

 

                “And why weren’t we consulted about this?”  Lindsay demands

 

                “Why should I consult you about that?  Last time I checked this was our house and…”

 

Lindsay snorts and smiles tightly.

 

                “Something amusing?”  I glower at her.

 

                “No nothing at all, at least nothing I’m finding funny.” 

 

                “So what’s with the snort?”  I sigh.

 

                “Before you answer that Lindsay, it would do you well to remember whose Brownstone you’re living in…until April.”  Carl points out tartly. 

 

                “So she gets to do whatever she wants, to control my actions and words by holding that as a threat?”

 

                “Nobody is threatening you, I don’t know where that has come from.  As I was about to say, this is our house and who comes and goes in it is our business not yours.  I had forgotten they were coming to cook for us with the week we had for which I apologise for that and only that.  But, if you…”

 

                “Oh you don’t think that’s not a threat!”  She growls back

 

                “No you are being given options, either stay or go, I can put you up in a hotel, either way they are coming tonight.”

 

                “Lindsay, she’s right this is their house, we are their guests, come on we’ve got a first date to prepare our daughter for.”  Michael tells her pulling her out of the room.

 

Even the kittens stop moving and look at the door they’ve just gone through.

 

                “Okay seriously what the fuck?”  Brian demands.

 

JENNY’S ROOM

 

JENNY

 

                “Oh God mom, what am I going to do?”

 

                “About what honey, not sure where this panic is coming from?”

 

                “You don’t understand where the panic is coming from?  Auntie Em, help me out here, what’s the date?”

 

                “The 13th sweetie.”

 

                “Of which month?”

 

                “February of…oh my!”  Auntie Ems cries.  “Be right back!”

 

                “Now do you see?!”  I cry as he dashes out.

 

KITCHEN

 

TED

 

                “Okay I have no idea what just happened there, did Michael…”

 

                “It’s Valentine’s Day tomorrow!”  Ems cries screeching to a halt by the table.

 

He times his arrival perfectly with the arrival of the boys, who look frustrated.

 

                “Couldn’t get passed the first bend huh?”  Zee chuckles.

 

                “That thing is impossible!”  Hunter gripes.  “We got round the first bend but kept coming back on ourselves!”

 

                “Excuse me major romantic holiday, Valentine’s Day to.mor.row!”  Ems repeats

 

                “Yeah I know I’m all set.”  Matt replies and then watches as Hunter’s face drains of colour.

 

                “Okay let’s get a car sorted for those who need to go into town.  How many of you need to go?”

 

Zee asks and then grins as almost half the hands go up, including Blake’s!

 

                “You forgot?!”  I gasp.

 

                “No, just think it needs something else and if people are going into town…”

 

                “Right.  Emmy Lou go upstairs get the girls and Michael and everyone goes into town, gives you a chance to explore the area and grab something for lunch if you like.”  Zee decides

 

                “Uh we don’t need to go into town.”  Brian calls out.  “We have a bath to test out come on Sunshine.”

 

Within 20 minutes a mini coach is here and we are off with Zee and Faal deciding to remain at home too to keep an eye on Taylor.

 

COACH INTO TOWN

 

LEDA

 

                “No prizes for guessing what they’re going to be doing.”  Lindz’s lip curls in derision.

 

                “Who?”  I ask.  “Oh you mean Brian and Justin, well considering they were doing it on the plane I’m not sure why you are upset.”

 

                “No Zee and Faal, keep an eye on Taylor indeed, as if that’s to be believed.”  She snorts

 

                “Mom, why don’t you like Aunt Zee?”  Gus asks.

 

The coach goes quiet.

 

                “Yeah Lindsay why don’t you like her?”  I ask

 

                “What makes you think that Gus?”  She asks

 

                “You get ‘that face’ when you talk about her.  She’s been great to us letting us stay in her house but you always seem to want to pick a fight with her, I don’t get it.”

 

                “Some people just don’t get along that’s all.”  Lindsay replies brusquely.  “Let’s not discuss this anymore.”

 

                “But you could at least try.  She never starts the fights with you.”  Gus mutters to himself

 

                “Be careful Lindz, when she starts to fight she doesn’t stop until she wins.”  I murmur

 

DAVID & CHARLES’S HOUSE

 

CHARLES

 

                “Charles speaking.  Oh hi Zee, how are you?  Great, glad you landed safely.  Yes, yes we know its Valentine’s Day tomorrow, we spent most of Friday evening trawling round shops after a certain teenage boy.  So we’re getting to you for half five to give us prep time, no, no we’ll take a…right okay, if the car can get here for say quarter past four that should be enough time.  Okay see you later.”

 

I have to try really hard not to laugh at Hank who has tried three times to wrap this present for Jenny having been reassured four times that it’s not too much.  He’s also got a present for Sarah, who adores him now that they’ve got to know each other better.

 

David is a bit nervous of seeing Michael again but I’ve told him legally he’s got nothing and definitely fidelity wise he has nothing, it will be interesting if he tries to bring that up.

 

STORM ROOM BATHROOM

 

BRIAN

 

                “Okay so where are we going to put it when we find out where they got it from?  Not next to Gus’s room that would be too creepy when he’s there.” 

 

                “Definitely.  Oh wait what about the small back lounge we don’t use it…”

 

                “Sunshine, turn round and let me kiss you for that excellent idea.”

 

                “How about you kiss me and I take a seat?”  He mumbles against my lips.

 

                “Even better.”

 

KITCHEN

 

FAAL

 

                “Come here my lig, come here.” 

 

She snuggles into my arms and sighs.

 

                “What did you tell Uncle Luc?”

 

                “That we’ll say nothing for now but when needed we will.  Full disclosure.”

 

`              “Okay let’s not talk of that anymore.  Thank you for them.” 

 

I smile at the kittens who are curled up in the armchair asleep.

 

                “Don’t thank me, I didn’t get them.  What you going to call them?” 

 

                “That honour goes to you.”

 

                “Storm and Claude?”

 

                “Perfect.  What time do you think they’ll be back from town?”

 

                “It’s what half twelve now, so about three, which will give Jenny enough time to have a meltdown, calm down and then get ready.”

 

                “What do you think Michael is up to?”

 

                “Oh didn’t I tell you about his theory about Joshua and Charles?!”

 

COACH RETURNING FROM TOWN

 

JENNY

 

                “Mom do you think we’ve got enough time to do my toenails?”

 

                “Uh yes I guess, um are you planning on be barefoot?”  She asks confused

 

                “No, but I’m starting to feel naked without nail varnish.” 

 

Mom just blinks at me for a while before she smiles.

 

                “Fine, we will, um make sure that you are properly dressed before he arrives okay?”

 

                “Great!”

 

GUS

 

                “Did she just say she starting to feel naked without varnish?”  I ask Auntie Ems.

 

                “Yes I do believe she did.  So my handsome boy did you buy anything for anybody on our little sojourn?  Actually, let me correct that to save you from thinking of a lie, whom did you buy that little thing for during our little sojourn?”

 

I blush and suddenly I wish I wasn’t sitting next to him anymore he notices far too much.

 

                “Just someone I know.”  I mumble.

 

                “Okay, well I hope, hmm I’m going to go with he, likes it.  And don’t worry I won’t say a word.”

 

He pats my hand and smiles to himself.

 

LINDZ

 

I’m so cross that Michael took her side earlier and then Gus and Leda asking me those questions.  It’s very simple, I don’t like Zee because she uses Faal’s money to big-up on everyone else.  Okay he gets her stuff and they become ‘hers’ but she acts like it’s her money in the first place. 

 

That being said, it is a lovely house, I wonder how it became theirs?  I wouldn’t have pitched such a hissy fit like she did about the kittens either, I have much more class and breeding.

 

We’re back at the house and Jenny knocks on the door.

 

                “Hang on!  Do you have them?  Seriously do you have them?” 

 

Zee opens the door and we see Faal holding one kitten and Justin holding another.

 

                “How’d it go everyone get what they needed?  Oh Steve, Taylor is down for her nap.  Seems running after Storm and Claude took it out of her.  Come on we’ve got bubbles and snacks if you’re hungry did you eat whilst you were in town?  Wait, first go dump your stuff and then come back and tell us about your trip into town.”

 

                “Storm and Claude?  What lovely names.  Take it Claude is the grey?”  Jennifer asks

 

                “Yep!  Lig is great at naming things, like this place for example it’s now call the Glass Cube…”

 

                “Glass Cube?”  Tucker queries

 

                “Cube spelt Qube.”  He grins happily.

 

We all exchange confused looks.

 

                “I’ll show you when you guys get back down, meet us in the lounge, we’ll leave the door open so people don’t get lost.”

 

Twenty minutes later I head back down to find almost everyone in the lounge and what a lounge it is.  Again it is pure glass as the external wall.  There are five sofas surrounding the fire place in dark blue, royal blue, sky blue, baby blue and cobalt, with contrasting cushions and throws, the huge rug has all the colours of the sofas in it.  And a glass table sits on top of it.  Above the fire place is a massive TV and in the corner is a dining table that seats six.  A glass cabinet in the corner has various drinks in it and it looks like they are floating.

 

                “Oh my goodness Faal this is a gorgeous room.”

 

                “Yep, here have some champagne.”  He hands me a glass and I go to sit down.

 

                “Momma be careful!”  I jump out of my skin and end up spilling the champagne down my dress.

 

                “Jenny for heaven sake what’s the matter with you, look what you made me do!”  I snap

 

                “You were going to sit on Claude mom.”  Gus points behind me and I look down.

 

                “Oh I didn’t see him there.  Excuse me I have to go change.”  I mutter and head out.

 

BRIAN

 

Okay, Jenny looks angry and upset and I sense a full on pitbull moment coming, this is not conducive for a first date.

 

                “Excuse me.  Be right back.  Lindz wait up!” 

 

I close the door behind me and catch her up at the stairs.

 

                “Brian I have to get changed and…”

 

                “Fine, but when you come back down try to be nicer than you have been since you got here.”

 

                “Nicer!  I have been nice it’s…”

 

                “Lindsay you’ve been a harping bitch.  And you would’ve noticed Claude if you weren’t making eyes at Faal ass.”

 

                “I was not don’t be ridiculous!  It’s just, just that I worked really hard for years in that gallery and nothing not a word of thanks.”

 

                “What are you talking about now?”

 

                “Sydney, not a word of thanks for all my hard work and for Lydia to move Mel instead of me and then for…”

 

                “Wait, let me get this straight, all this is because Sydney didn’t say thank you on Thursday and you’re pissed because Mel was moved from your table which had your ex-fuckbuddy on it?”

 

                “Well…”

 

                “In that case you should be pissed at me for Mel being moved because I asked Lydia to do it.”

 

                “Why would you do such a thing?”  She gasps

 

                “Would you want the woman she fucked sitting opposite you during dinner?”

 

                “Of course not but that’s different!”

 

                “Why because it happened to you?  Because it was with a woman?  Cheating is cheating no matter who it is with.”  I take a deep breath.  “Look just go and change and try to be nicer for the rest of the weekend that’s all I’m asking.”

 

I head back to the lounge and slide behind Justin and sigh into his hair.

 

                “Do you think you got through to her?”  He mumbles.

 

                “Not in the long term no, but for now I think she’s going to be Little Mary Sunshine.”  I murmur

 

                “Well I think it’s time for a certain someone to start getting ready for dinner.”  Emmy Lou trills.

 

MICHAEL’S ROOM

 

After the ride into town I decided to have a nap, I want to be on my game when David and Charles arrive.  I think a shower is called for.  I can’t believe the size of this house.  Zee is very lucky that Faal is a rich man, but if it’s a bequest why do they have it now, surely they have to wait until death to get that.

 

JENNY’S ROOM

 

                “Hey baby how you feeling, better after your shower or still cross?”  Mom asks.

 

                “A bit but I’m more excited now.”

 

My phone beeps and it’s from him and I grin.

 

                “Okay, you don’t get to smile like that and not dish!” 

 

Auntie Ems says from where he’s painting my toenails in YSL.

 

                “Okay he’s asked me what I’m wearing…”

 

                “What?”  Mom gasps.

 

                “Yeah, cos the last time we met, we exchange clothing stories, I told him what I was going to wear when you changed my mind and he told me he was going to wear a suit and a bowtie.”

 

                “To a pizza place?”  Mom giggles.

 

                “Uh huh.  I really hope that momma’s in a better mood by the time they come.”

 

                “Me too but enough of that, let’s get you sparkling and date ready!”  Mom laughs.

 

JENNIFER & TUCKER’S ROOM

 

JENNIFER

 

                “Well I can safely say I wasn’t expecting that?  Were you?”  I call out to him.

 

                “What the tenancy extension?  Kicking them out would play perfectly into victim Lindz”

 

                “True.  But till April was a surprise…oh excuse me darling.”

 

I pick up my phone surprised to find it’s Nancy Petersen.

 

                “Nancy how are you, is everything okay?  Oh, right of course, yes I will deal with that on Monday not a problem.  No, thank you.”

 

                “What’s that about?”  He wraps his arms round me.

 

                “They’ve sold the Shadyside property to a private buyer and they want me to increase the offer on the Sewickley place to lock that down.”

 

                “Wow nice!  Okay why the frown?  Wait isn’t the Shadyside place the one that Michael’s in?  This is not going to be pretty.”

 

                “No it’s not, I pity the person who tries to get him out of there.  Come on let’s get ready.”

 

DEB’S & CARL’S ROOM

 

CARL

 

                “Red, you know there is going to be a shitstorm tonight or maybe tomorrow.  Michael was too agreeable.  But I have to say the way Dee handled him was impressive.”

 

                “I know right?  Funny though I never thought about it, his arm folding as anything other than sulking.  I’ve got to get her to teach me that glare.”

 

I chuckle to myself, I’ve always known that he was basically telling her “fuck you” whenever he did that but she would never believe me, now she knows and hopefully it will stick with her, it’s baby steps but I see her slowly but surely walking away from the mama bear must protect her cub at all times persona.

JOSHUA & CARRIE’S ROOM

 

JOSHUA

 

                “Josh, you okay, you’ve been a bit off since you came back from the jog this morning?”  Carrie asks

 

                “Yeah just things on my mind and I think I’m getting a headache…”  I mumble

 

                “For a lawyer you are one of the worst liars I’ve ever met, out with it.” 

 

She demands giving me a head massage, I groan and then look up at my beautiful wife.

 

                “Michael, he’s been giving me that creepy smile again.”

 

                “Josh, try to remember that I know about the affair between you and Charles, the one that’s going on in Michael’s head alone, so let’s try again.”

 

                “I’m worried that now David’s getting his practice back that he’s going to…”

 

                “Petition for partial physical custody of Sarah?”

 

I drop my head and try to blink back tears, I love that little girl more than anything and to think of her all the way over here is just heartbreaking.

 

                “Josh, honey, I don’t think he would do that…”

 

                “How can you be sure?”

 

                “I’m not but how about we just bite the bullet and ask him tonight?”

 

LOUNGE

 

FAAL

 

Storm and Claude have curled up in front of the fire and everyone is upstairs getting ready.  David just called to say that the car has arrived and they are on their way.  It will be a supreme act of idiocy even for him to allude to an affair between Josh and Charles…but this is Michael we’re talking about he still thinks that he’s Brian’s best friend.

 

Tomorrow should be good.  All plans to show them the house went out the window when they went into town.  So she’s going to give them a tour of the house and the grounds in the morning and then let them loose in her kitchen to cook whatever romantic meal they feel appropriate, she’s called in some of Uncle Luc’s boys to set up tables in the maze and put heat lamps in just in case it gets very chilly.

 

As for us, we asked David to recommend somewhere to eat and he suggested Yard House so we’re going there and then we fly back at six. 

 

JENNY’S ROOM

 

JENNY

 

                “Mom!  You’re not helping…this top or this top?”  I hold out the two tops we bought earlier

 

                “Perhaps I could help?”  Momma calls from the door.

 

We both look up at her and I sigh.

 

                “Mom can I speak to momma privately for a minute?” 

 

She nods and heads out.

 

                “Jenny…”

 

                “No momma, you need to listen to me please?  Tonight is very important to me, I’m nervous enough as it is.  Can you, just be my momma and not the person who’s jealous of what Aunt Zee has…”

 

                “Jenny, I’m not jealous of Zee…”

 

                “Momma, I’m 15 and a raging mass of hormones and emotions.  Of course you’re jealous, who wouldn’t be?  She’s got beautiful home, I mean homes, a gorgeous husband who loves her to pieces, great friends and family.  She’s beautiful, kind, generous and brave, it takes a lot of courage to walk away from your father but she did and I admire her for that.  We live in her Brownstone for heaven sake!  So can you please just leave Aunt Zee alone?”

 

She nods and then picks up a top.

 

                “I think what you’ve just said is ridiculous, but I will avoid Zee tonight.  As for tops this one, I think would be best.”

 

                “Thanks.”

 

                “Shall I go get your mom?”

 

I nod and as she leaves; I think to myself you’ve just lied to me again.

 

CAR SERVICE

 

CHARLES

 

                “Hank for heaven sake relax.  It’s going to be fine, you’ve been speaking and emailing since your date and…”

 

                “But this is Valentine’s Day weekend what if she expects…”

 

                “What?  What could she possibly expect from you in a houseful of her family?”  David smiles.

 

                “Maybe they won’t like me, I know Michael doesn’t.”

 

                “Hank, you don’t like him so you’re even.  And what’s this sudden fear of them not liking you, you’ve met them already…three times!”

 

                “Oh, oh yeah, sorry nervous!”

 

                “Really couldn’t tell.  We’re here now come on.”

 

He practically falls out of the car and I have to bite my lip to stop from laughing.  We take the meal out of the boot and head to the front door and it is pulled open before we could knock.

 

                “Welcome!  Come in come in!”  Emmett cries. 

 

                “Hi Emmett.”  David laughs as he’s swept into a hug.

 

                “First come put your food stuffs in the kitchen and then we retire to the lounge for bubbles and pretend not to watch Jenny and Hank have a date…”

 

                “Auntie Ems quit it!”  Jenny calls out from the stairs.

 

                “Hi Jenny, you look enchanting.”  David kisses her cheek and she goes bright red.

 

                “Hi Mr Cameron, Mr Phelps-Gordon…hi Hank.”

 

                “Hi Jenny.  You look…”

 

                “Hank!”  Sarah yells.  “Daddy David, Uncle Charles!”

 

                “Sarah stop, we’ll come to you.” 

 

David sweeps her into his arms and I smile but notice Joshua looks a little strained.

 

                “Hi Carrie, Joshua are you both well, it’s so great you are here.”

 

Josh’s eyes are darting between David and Carrie. 

 

                “Come on Emmett, Jenny, can you show David and Hank to the kitchen.”

 

As they follow him through the door, I pause and smile at Josh.

 

                “You know Josh, we like to visit Pittsburgh as we’ve made new friends.  And I have a very cute little step-daughter who lives there with her mother and Daddy Joshua and who will remain living there with her mother and Daddy Joshua until she decides otherwise.  My house is big enough for two and that’s the way we like it.  Now remove that haunted expression off of your face and let’s have a good night shall we?”

 

He nods and wipes his eyes.

 

                “Sorry I just...”

 

                “Now that’s sorted out let’s go see how stupid that man really is.”

 

KITCHEN

EMMETT

 

                “So what are you boys cooking tonight, I shall be on commis duty.  But first libations and they’re in the lounge.  So come along.”  I order.

 

                “David, Charles come have a drink.  Was the journey okay?”  Faal greets them like the host he is.

 

                “Fine not a problem, thanks again Zee for letting us thank you.  You’re looking wonderful, hi everyone.”  David smiles

 

                “Not a problem.  Do you need me to show you where things…”

 

                “Ah-ah-ah Zee, you’ve done enough, besides Emmett has already volunteered to be our commis.”

 

                “So what are we having?”  Jennifer asks.

 

                “To start white bean soup with vanilla candied bacon, slow cooked shin of beef with vegetables and guinness and cassis cupcakes.  Don’t worry Brian we’ve got plenty of salad stuff.  And Hank is cooking for Jenny.”

 

                “What?  Absolutely not!  We’ll cook together.  Since we’re both going to be eating it.”

 

                “That’s my girl.”  Mel raises her glass.

 

                “Our girl Mel, remember I had a hand in it too.”  Michael calls out smugly.  “David, Charles how nice to see you again, Hank you remember me don’t you?  How are those shares in TalonMotor we invested in hmm?”

 

Hank blushes and Jenny looks between them in confusion.

 

                “So Hank what are you cooking for Jenny?”  Lindz simpers

 

                “Hot dogs, with toppings, fries and Bakewell mug cakes.”

 

                “Hot dogs?  Oh that’s not very…” 

 

                “Difficult to cook at all.”  I interrupt.  “And sounds delicious.  Oh do you have a deep fat fryer Zee?”

 

                “Yep.”

 

                “Right so let’s get started Charles, David, um do Hank and Jenny need to come now or can they play catch up?”  I ask

 

                “No they can catch up, it’s just a matter of doing the fries and the dessert and putting everything together.”  Charles replies.

 

                “Oh this is ridiculous.  We’re all going to go into the kitchen and leave you two in here, there’s movies set up, Faal can you switch it on for them, and when it comes to dinner, you are eating at that little table over there, so let’s leave them to it…come on its bad enough with their folks here without the rest of the family trying not to gawk and failing dismally!”

 

Zee starts herding us out of the room earning a grateful beaming smile from Jenny.

 

KITCHEN

 

DAVID

 

                “This is a gorgeous kitchen Zee and that fireplace is incredible but who are those little ones?”

 

                “Storm and Claude, presents from my uncle and aunt for Faal.”  Zee smiles.  “Who I think might provide a distraction…hang on a minute, Sarah can you come with me sweetheart?”

 

She scoops them up and heads out of the kitchen with Sarah skipping behind her and after two minutes she comes back smiling.

 

                “Toyger and baby sister power to the rescue, hopefully they’ll relax a bit now.  Right so what do you need help with?”

 

                “Who had 5 minutes?”  Brian calls out.

 

                “That would be me…hand over the pot.”  Ted waves.

 

Zee grins and ties an apron round her waist.

 

                “Pot?  Not sure I understand?”  Charles looks round.

 

                “Em and Zee are brilliant cooks and every time we say to them you are not cooking, we take time bets on how long it takes them to get involved.”  Drew explains chuckling

 

                “Ahh I see.  Wait, is that the Em&Zee’s House of Delights that you told us about Carrie?”

 

                “That’s the one.  Not that it wasn’t great to see you but I was gutted we couldn’t go.”

 

                “Melody was crowing when she came back from her friend’s party last Thursday.”  Charles groans.

 

                “Melody as in Melody Reichmann?”  Lindsay looks between me and Emmett

 

                “Yes we’re doing her husband’s birthday party.  She insisted on being our first booking, I mean insisted as in put a deposit down when I called her Friday morning.”  Emmett explains checking tubs

 

                “Do you know who Melody Reichmann is?”  She gasps.

 

                “A person who likes art who knows Sydney.”  Zee sniffs as she chops onions and rosemary.

 

                “Clearly, but she’s also one of the leading patrons of the arts, she’s on many boards, this party has to be perfect.” 

 

                “And it will be.”  Emmett tells her.

 

                “So what can I do to help?” 

 

                “Um, well you do the vanilla sugar for the candied bacon…” 

 

                “No not that!  The party how can I help with that, firstly where are you hosting it, how are you going to prepare for it?”

 

                “You’re not.  Now David the candid bacon how can I help with that?”  Emmett grits out

 

                “But Emmy Lou this is could open up new avenues for you…”

 

                “Let’s discuss this tomorrow shall we, this is David and Charles’s night.”  Faal cuts in.

 

Lindsay glowers at Emmett but doesn’t say anything else.

 

                “So Charles, as a lawyer can you explain to me how a living bequest works?”  Michael asks

 

Charles frowns but takes a sip of his wine and clears his throat.

 

                “Well, it’s basically a bequest that has been given whilst the person giving the bequest is still alive.  I’d have thought it was self-explanatory.”

 

He nods and then goes back to his wine.

 

                “How did you two meet, you and David I mean?”  He asks.

 

                “At a mixer coincidentally held by Melody, it was spring of 2009.”

 

                “Almost 6 years, wow that’s a long time.  And Josh how long have you and Carrie been together?”

 

                “Since 2010.  And before you try to do the maths, Sarah was already, if you pardon the pun, cooking but that didn’t stop me from wanting Carrie or her in my life.  And now I have the best of both worlds…”  Josh coos

 

                “I’ll bet you do.  So Charles how does it feel to have a boyfriend cheat on you so early in the relationship, was that why you decided to cheat back?”

 

                “Michael what the hell are you talking about?  This is hardly the time or place for that kind of conversation!”  Debs snaps

 

                “I’m talking about Charles and Joshua.  And about Hank…”

 

“Ah yes, this is from him for you it’s a letter of apology…”  Charles hands him the envelope

 

He takes it and quickly tears it into pieces.

 

                “I don’t want anything from him, nothing at all.  Now I’m going upstairs to my room because I don’t like being the company of liars, cheats and David, a thief.”

 

                “Now Michael…”  Charles begins

 

                “And whilst I’m up there I’m going to be trying to work out how to tell my daughter what your son did and…”

 

                “He’s already told me.”  Jenny is standing in the doorway holding Sarah’s hand, who trots to Josh.

 

                “Wh-what?”  I stammer.

 

                “He’s already told me and I have to say that it’s the funniest thing I’ve ever heard!  Okay at first I was pissed that he tricked you but then I thought it takes a certain amount of chutzpah to pull that off and he’s made restitution, is that the right word mom, and written a letter of apology, which I think is enough as it was years ago.   So you got your ass handed to you by a kid get over it.  I like Hank dad and you’re not going to stop us from being friends or whatever we want to be so don’t even try.  Mr Cameron can you let us know when we can come in here and start cooking, Sarah wants to eat with us, she’s so sweet.”

 

                “Of course Jenny we’ll just finish the prep and you can have the kitchen.”

 

                “Thanks.”

 

She heads back to the lounge giggling.

 

“Now Michael, you can’t say you weren’t warned about making false accusations against my partner and how litigious that makes me, so I shall prepare papers for defamation of character and…”

 

        “Charles, honestly that’s not necessary…”

 

        “You using honest in the same sentence there’s a laugh.”  Michael snorts.  And your son is a liar like you, he’s not made restitution to me not even attempted to!”  He barks

 

        “Ah that’s the thing you see, Michael, included in that letter of apology was a check for $3,000.  Hank did put the money in a high yield savings account and over the years it earned over $1000 worth of interest, he never touched it and felt it was only fair that you have the entire sum, but since you’ve made it clear you don’t want it, then we can consider the matter closed.  If you don’t believe me do feel free to put the check back together again.”

 

        “You cheated me again!  You never…”

 

        “Okay, Charles he’s all yours.”  I shrug.

 

        “Michael didn’t you say you were going to your room?  I suggest you do so as nobody wants to be round a mealy mouthed idiot like you, now go!”  Carl snarls.

 

He looks round the room for a few minutes before stomping off upstairs leaving the room in stunned silence before it Zee, Josh and Carrie burst out laughing.

 

Charles and I look at each other in confusion as titters start amongst certain people.

 

        “Faal you can come out now!”  Zee is wiping her eyes and Faal comes out of the larder.

 

        “Epic that was epic!”  He chortles.

 

        “Can someone explain to me what is going on?!”  Lindsay demands.

 

        “For reasons best known to himself Michael thought that Charles and Joshua were having an affair and used this trip to confront with it.”  Justin giggles.

 

                “How could you do that to him?  He’s our friend.  How would you feel if someone did that to you?”

 

                “Lindsay were you in the same room as us, nobody was bandying around the accusations but Michael nobody made him do anything.”  Blake points out

 

                “Well I’m going to see how he is.  Debbie I’d have thought as his mother that would be something you would be doing.” 

 

She flounces out without a backwards glance.

 

MICHAEL’S ROOM

 

LINDZ

 

                “Michael are you okay?”

 

He’s lying on the bed glowering at the ceiling with his arms folded. 

 

                “No I’m humiliated!  How could they have let him talk to me like that, nobody did anything to defend me?!”

 

                “I know I called them out on it and I think it’s time the chief protagonist knows how that feels.”

 

                “Which chief protagonist?”

 

                “Why Zee of course, the moment you left she burst out laughing, Faal was ever the gentlemen and was in the larder.”

 

I pat his hand it’s time Zee knew how it feels to be stung by this wasp.

 

KITCHEN

 

HANK

 

                “So you’re really not mad at me?”

 

                “If you ask me one more time then I will be.  It’s done now come on we have fries to do, though I think it’s best if maybe we get a grown up to…”

 

                “Coming!”  Emmett almost falls through the door.

 

                “Subtle Auntie Ems real subtle.”  Jenny grouses.

 

                “Moi I’m the soul of discretion, now the fries.  This won’t take long.”

 

And it doesn’t, 15 minutes later dinner is ready and we’ve swapped rooms again, we’re now in the lounge and I sense the hand of Emmett with the flowers.  Sarah doesn’t last past the hotdog before Carrie comes to get her and takes her bed.  So it’s just us.  In the room.  Alone.

 

                “Oh here I got you something for, you know tomorrow.”  I hand her over the box

 

                “Oh me too, here.” 

 

Slowly we unwrap each other’s presents and she gasps and I think she hates them.

 

                “Oh they’re lovely!  Now just to be sure, these are crystal earrings right?  Uncle Faal got Aunt Zee some crystals that turned out to be diamonds, I have never put something back so carefully in my life.”

 

                “No definitely crystals I’m glad you like them and thanks for the Blu Ray of Slapshot, um do you want to watch it now?”

 

                “Yeah that would be nice, with our Bakewell mug cakes.  I’ll get Uncle Faal to set it up you sort the puddings.”

 

We head to the kitchen and they all stop talking.

 

                “Could those smiles be any larger, what do you need?”

 

                “Uncle Faal can you help me set up the Blu Ray and say nothing else please.”  She begs

 

                “Of course, lead the way.”

 

                “Ready for dessert?”  Dad asks smiling

 

I nod and he shakes his head.

 

                “Go sit down I’ll bring it in.”

 

I head back to the lounge and I glower at the snickering back of my dad as he leaves.

 

                “Right ready for the movie?”  I ask.

 

                “Yep, ooh this is good, ouch hot but good!” 

 

                “Um you’ve got a bit just there right at the side of your mouth.”

 

                “Seriously?  You could just ask if you could kiss me.” 

 

She sighs and then blushes when I swipe my finger to show her the evidence.

 

                “So Jenny, can I kiss you?”

 

                “Please.”

 

KITCHEN

 

LINDZ

 

Well Zee, let’s see how you like to be humiliated.  I couldn’t persuade Michael to come back down but at least I will let him know word for word how it went down.

 

                “Lindsay you’re back, how’s Michael?”  Blake asks.

 

                “As well as could be expected under the circumstances.”  Is my tart reply.

 

                “Shall we set up a tray for him?”  He asks.

 

                “No, he wants to eat he comes join us or he waits till we are done to eat by himself.”  Debs states

 

                “So how’s the date going?”

 

                “Well judging by the giggles pretty well.  They’re watching Slapshot.”  Drew explains.

 

                “Oh my God I love that movie, Paul Newman…hubba-hubba!”  Debs cackles

 

                “So David, Charles are we ready to eat?”  I ask.

 

                “Ask the chefs, they’ve taken over completely.” 

 

Charles laughs as Zee and Emmy Lou busy themselves at the range.

 

                “Like that was a struggle, the moment we said can we suggest…you guys flung yourselves on the chairs and didn’t move!”  Emmy Lou chides him

 

                “It’s true, I will hold my hands up to that.”

 

The rest of the family chatter amongst themselves.  And I sit and wait for my time.

 

JENNIFER

 

Oh she’s biding her time whatever she’s got planned this is not going to be good.

 

DAVID

 

                “So can we plate up our dinner?”

 

                “OFO and get on with it.”  Zee giggles.

 

                “OFO?  Oh right!” 

 

                “So David what exactly are we thanking Zee for?”  Lindsay asks.

 

                “She and Faal gave me some advice about a problem I was having with Hank and it helped me reconnect with him.”

 

                “And what was the problem exactly?”  She asks.

 

                “A family matter.”  I reply smoothly. 

 

I grab the bowls and we serve the soup, the addition of the sherry vinegar is a nice touch and the candied bacon is delicious.  And then the main course comes, the shin of beef is tender and fall off the bone with the fixings its just divine.

 

                “So you are definitely doing Melody’s party for her husband?”  I ask Zee who nods

 

                “Charles we need to start sucking up now, I want an invite!” 

 

                “Faal, where does Ugerstacht come from, I mean what region of The Netherlands?”  Lindsay asks.

 

                “It doesn’t as I’ve said it’s South African, from the Stellenbosch.”

 

                “The vineyards.  Well that explains your wine appreciation.”  I raise my glass

 

                “What can I say it’s in my blood?”  Faal raises his glass back.

 

                “So, Zee, how did your aunt and uncle get this place, win the lottery?”  Lindsay smiles tightly.

 

                “Nope first company dividend 10 years ago.  They wanted to move out of New York so they bought this and the land and slowly built it up to what it is now.”

 

                “How nice for you that you can finally contribute to the Ugerstacht coffers.”  She sniffs.

 

                “Contribute?  Lindsay do you know who Zee is?”  Charles chuckles.

 

                “Well apart from Faal’s wife.  Should I?”

 

                “Have you heard of Stark Securities?”  Charles asks.

 

                “Of course, it is one of the top security firms in the States, what about it?”

 

                “Seriously, you really don’t know?”  Brian is astonished.

 

                “What?”  She demands.

 

                “Zee is short for Zaden as in Zaden Stark, president of and CEO of Stark Securities.  She’s richer than Faal by about a billion dollars.”  He explains.

 

                “But…but she’s an Ugerstacht…”  Lindsay’s face pales.

 

 

                “Married name.  Work wise, I’m a Stark.  So people, dessert, Lindz some humble pie?”

Chapter End Notes:

Please review constructively and kindly.  Thank you xx