- Text Size +

CHAPTER 39 – SEX + HONESTY + LIES* + MICE** = SUNDAY KABOOM!

 

AUNT D

 

                “You are, well isn’t that nice.”  I have to cover the dead silence that greeted that remark

 

                “Are you kidding me, when did that happen?”  Mel’s incredulous and maybe not in a good way.

 

                “Seems that the Peterson name is something in the Reichmann circles, I was as surprised as you are now when I received it?”  She twitters.  “Oh on Tuesday and I…”

 

                “Tuesday and you’re only mentioning it now?”  Emmy Lou frowns.  “After all the enthusiastic meddling last time I’d have thought you’d have rushed to us with that little tidbit of news?”

 

                “Wait, how did you get it on Tuesday there was no mail?”  Jenny pipes up

 

It was quick but there was a flicker of annoyance from our little WASP.

 

                “Firstly, Emmy Lou I was not meddling I was merely making suggestions, for the correct protocol for dealing with people of Melody Reichmann’s social standing, she expects things to be done a certain way and…”

 

                “I don’t get it.  I mean how does it work?”  Jenny looks round.

 

                “Don’t get what and how does what work sweetheart?”  Luc asks.

 

                “This social standing sh…I mean stuff, is it like cliques that we have at school like jocks, nerds, cheerleaders and goths that kind of thing?”  She queries

 

                “Well kind of.”  I reply and wait.

 

                “So how does it work when you leave school then and why does it?”  She looks round expectantly

 

                “Well for some people the richer you are the more ‘above folk’ you are and they use that to exert undue influence and misguided authority and snark.”  Luc explains.  “And for some folk even when they don’t have money they want people to know they have the influence albeit misguided in some instances.”

 

                “And that leads to the snark right?  But you guys are rich and you don’t do that.” 

 

                “No because our mom and dad would’ve tanned our hides until we couldn’t sit down for a week grown or not.  And taught us a powerful lesson as Zee’s dad found out.”  Luc smiles at her

 

                “What?”

 

                “Excuse me if we could…”  Lindsay tries to interrupt.

 

                “Wait momma, I want to hear this what lesson did he get taught?”

 

                “See the person within not the colour without.  As you know he wouldn’t accept Faal and he was sure that Zee would fall into line but when she didn’t he threatened her but forgot one itsy bitsy little detail…in order to leave her without a penny had to have them to leave.” 

 

Jenny frowns and looks round.

 

                “In other…”  Steve begins.

 

                “Wait Uncle Steve, let me try and work it out.”  He nods and grins so sweetly at her

 

                “Her grandfather didn’t leave him any money in his will, is that right, he gave everything to Zee?  I mean Aunt Zee?”  She’s bouncing in her seat

 

                “Close he gave the company to Zaden and Zander with minority stakes to the others, who thought the same.”

 

                “Serves him right then.  But she doesn’t seem like that, they both seemed really nice so I don’t understand momma why you think Auntie Ems needed help to work with her.”

 

Lindsay frowns and then looks round the table.

 

                “Um Jenny who are you talking about?” 

 

                “Melody and Franklin they were at the drinks, okay I couldn’t stay awake through to the end but she seemed to be enjoying herself.”

 

                “It’s Mr and Mrs Reichmann to you.  And what drinks?”  She bristles

 

                “Why to me?”  Jenny bristles back.  “Is this one of those social standing rules?”

 

                “Yes it is.”

 

                “Well you should tell her because she said the kids could call them Melody and Franklin.”  Luc smirks.

 

                “Oh in that case that’s alright then.  But anyway, isn’t it exciting most of the family travelling to New York for one of the social events of the year?”

 

                “Speaking of events, there are a lot of family things coming up has everyone got them in their diaries, I know this is an obvious question but have they?”  Zee interjects.

 

                “Shall we get Daphne on?”  Justin asks.

 

                “Yeah let me get my iPad.  Faal where’d you put the bag?”  Zee gets up looking round.

 

                “Lounge by the fireplace, let’s clear the table first and then co-ordinate yes?”

 

                “And then dessert in the lounge, kids you are on clear up and then go watch some TV.”  Leda orders before looking round the kitchen.  “Um Zee is there a dishwasher in here?”

 

                “3rd from the right of the oven.”  Zee replies coming back in.  “Hey girl, you good, look we’ve got so much coming up in the next few weeks we need to make sure diaries match up, got a few?”

 

For the next forty minutes, diaries were matched up and locked down.

 

                “What about the lunches and dinners shouldn’t they go in too?”  Michael asks

 

                “These are as and when, if it’s happening we’ll call and let people know.”  Brian replies

 

                “Right is everyone happy with calendars now?”  Zee asks.

 

Everyone nods but I see a look exchanged between Brian and Justin.

 

                “Okay you two what is it?  And don’t tell this lady nothing what are you not happy about?”

 

                “I think I know what it is?”  Emmy Lou sighs.  “You don’t want stag dos do you?”

 

There’s a beat of silence.

 

                “No, we really don’t.”  Brian replies.  “But you guys feel free to go ahead and celebrate on our behalf, we don’t mind that.”

 

                “Why don’t you want a stag do?  It’s your last ‘night’ of freedom go wild!”  Lindsay teases

 

                “We don’t want a stag do because we’re…”  Justin begins to explain

 

                “Yeah bring the Stud of Liberty Avenue out to play for the last time why not?”  Michael snickers.

 

                “Because we’re monogamous.”  Brian leers at Justin.

 

                “So it doesn’t make a difference unless you get so drunk you can’t control yourself.”  Michael teases

 

                “No matter how drunk I got I still wouldn’t fuck you, so control is not the issue.”  Brian sneers

 

                “You still tried a few times.”  Michael snipes smugly.

 

                “And still you remain unfucked, which says a lot for his control…and his taste.”  Justin replies.

 

                “He wasn’t always drunk!”  Michael hisses.

 

                “But he wouldn’t fuck you sober either!”  Justin snarks back.

 

                “Uh boys.”  Leda tries to calm the situation.

 

                “You don’t know anything Justin!”  Michael sneers.

 

                “I know, and you know that Brian doesn’t lie, and he’s given me full disclosure about you.  So unless you want me to share with the rest of the family we are going to end this conversation now!”

               

                “Bullshit that’s total bullshit, the only thing you know is about the handjob that ma interrupted!”

                “Michael stop baiting!”  Leda snaps ready to throw his ass out as is George

 

                “No people, let them have it out it’s been a long time coming.”  Carl orders.

 

“So let me see Michael, the times he tried drunk, after his dad’s funeral for one.  As for sober, there was the time after you found out about him and Ben at the White Party; he went to your comic book store and you were very responsive...but the worst kisser he said, too much tongue.  But no matter how many times he ‘went’ for you he always took me home, me, all the time!  He’s never crossed that line with you now get a clue and fucking fuck off!”

 

The room is completely silent apart from the heavy breathing of Justin as he tries to calm himself down, he looks at Brian who is smirking at him.

 

                “Bed.  Now.”  He orders and drags Brian, unprotestingly, upstairs.

 

                “Thanks for the trip down memory lane Michael that was really special.”  Ted snickers.

 

                “Wait.  If they’re monogamous that means no condoms right?”  Leda asks

 

                “Yes Leda, that’s generally what it means.”  Lindsay snipes.

 

                “They, not me, they are putting the sheets in the machine before they go!”  She gripes.

 

We all laugh before we are silenced by a loud cry of “oh God, I’m gonna, oh God”.  We all look at each other and smirk, then there’s sounds of quick footsteps and a door shutting followed by slower steps and Gus chuckling.

 

                “Justin just has to make a show of everything doesn’t he?”  Michael bridles.

 

                “That’s Hunter.”  Zee remarks putting the coffee on.

 

                “Okay, I know I shouldn’t ask but how the hell do you know that?”  Mel chuckles.

 

                “Hunter invokes God but Justin’s a screamer and invokes God.”  Faal laughs and Zee nods

 

                “How can you be so blasé about it?”  Lindsay demands.  “They’re having sex!”

 

                “Which is a bad thing why?”  Zee asks confused.

 

                “Are you trying to tell me you’ve never had sex in your parents’ house?”  I ask astounded.

 

                “No!  And this isn’t his parents’ house.”  She replies smugly

 

                “But this is our house and the person he’s having sex with is our son so it’s all good, besides let’s face it Hunter’s a born again virgin.”  Faal starts to pour coffee.

 

Michael snorts and rolls his eyes, causing Ben to glower at him.

 

                “What’s the eye roll for Michael?”

 

                “A born again virgin him, he was a…”

 

                “Exactly he was that, through no fault of his own, and now he’s not.”  Ben bluntly reminds him.

 

                “And he has Lindsay to thank for that!  And has he shown gratitude, no of course not!”  He bites back

 

                “Uh how?”  Mel looks puzzled.

 

                “What do you mean how, I encouraged him…and he would’ve come to Bloom if Uptown hadn’t hired him first and I would’ve encouraged and mentored him there.”

 

                “When and mentored him the same way Martine, or the whelp as you called her, before you found out who her aunt was?  The only time you’ve encouraged him that I’ve seen was earlier and that wasn’t encouraging that was lecturing and hectoring.  And hired him as what?”  Mel demands

 

                “A trainee curator of course, what else would they have hired him for?”  Lindsay replies

 

                “Oh dear Lindsay dear, oh dear indeed.”  Jennifer chuckles.                “Receptionist.  He was hired to be the receptionist at Uptown, much like Cara is at Bloom.  But he got interested in the art, at Uptown, not at the Treehouse, not at the Loft and definitely not at the Brownstone but at Uptown he asked questions and Lydia saw potential.”

 

                “Receptionist?”  She echoes

 

                “Oh that reminds me, I understand Ted that you are the money man of this family?”  Leda asks

 

                “Uh well I look after the finances of a few family members?  And so far no complaints.”  Ted boasts

 

                “Good I know you aren’t working right now but could you look at a letter I got, seems like I’m being audited.”  She replies grimacing.

 

                “Not a problem, who’s the letter from?”  Ted sips his coffee

 

                “Oh a Toby something or other.  Wait, it’s in my pack, be right back.” 

 

She heads out and is back in minutes and hands the letter to Ted, who nods his head knowingly.

 

                “Tobias Schenk is that the guy’s name Ted?”  Michael asks.

 

                “Yep Tobias Schenk, he’s…”

 

                “A fucking mean bastard!  He garnished my residuals and that reminds me…”

 

                “Now that sounds painful.”  Luc chuckles

 

                “It was financially!”  Michael grumbles

 

                “Well Leda you’ve got nothing to worry about.  These kind of letters only mean good news, seems you are due a rebate, want me to work out roughly how much?” 

 

Just then Hunter and Matt come back in and head straight for the coffee.

 

                “So how’d you want it Hunter?”  I ask smiling at him.

 

                “I believe he’s already had it.”  Faal snickers

 

                “Twice.”  Matt adds smugly

 

                “Matt!  How do I want what Aunt D?”  Hunter flops into a chair.

 

                “Finders’ fee, pay it direct to your bank account, want a check or some other method?”  I reply

 

                “Oh you’re serious about that?  If so then it has to be split.”

 

                “Of course we’re serious, you found them for the gallery, trust me that little heathen over there wouldn’t have opened the door.  However, if it was labelled gun room she would’ve been in there like Flynn and who you splitting it with?”  Luc winks at her

 

Zee shrugs and pokes her tongue out at Luc before taking out the cheesecake to bring to temperature.

 

                “Justin.”

 

                “What about me?”  Justin asks as he and Brian come back in.

 

                “I’m splitting the finders’ fee with you.”  Hunter replies looking longingly at the cheesecake.

 

                “It’s too cold, give it another 10 minutes.”  Zee moves it out of his eyeline

 

                “Justin why the fuck are you splitting it with him what about Lindsay?”  Michael demands.

 

This gets Hunter’s full attention and he glowers at Michael.

 

                “Because he confirmed them as Kirkidan that’s why and what about Lindsay?” 

 

                “She was there too and watch your tone with me Hunter, I’m still your father!”

 

                “Oh so she should be paid by association should she and you stopped being that a long time ago but seemingly have remembered now there’s money involved!”  Hunter snaps back.

 

                “What’s that supposed to mean?” 

 

                “Well for the last few weeks you’ve not even said hi to me, but all of a sudden you were there to see me twice just to check how I was ‘you know after’.  Well as you are quick to throw back in my face I was a hustler but I was a smart one and I know bullshit when I smell it, and danger signs when I see them, you are not getting a fucking penny daddy dearest, not a fucking penny!”   He storms.

 

                “How am I getting a penny when you’re giving it to Lindsay?”  He points out folding his arms

 

                “That’s the point I’m not giving a penny to Lindsay either she looks at me like I’m the dirt beneath her shoe.  Oh Lindsay before you even think of mudslinging me to Melody she knows absolutely everything about me including my past.”

 

                “I wouldn’t do that Hunter.”  Lindsay simpers.  “That would be unfair and unprofessional.”

 

The look on Zee’s face speaks volumes, she looks murderous and Luc is up and wraps his arms round her.

 

                “Now little one the cheesecake.  I would love a slice, I think it’s warmed up enough now.” 

 

                “Didn’t stop you in San Francisco though did it?”   He looks coldly at her.

 

You could hear a pin drop as all eyes turn to Lindsay and Luc stops Matt with a look.

 

                “Pardon?” 

 

                “Did you tell her about my HIV status whilst you were in San Francisco?”

 

                “No of course not!  Who told you that?”  She reaches for her wine with a shaking hand.

 

                “A friend described someone who looks remarkably like you talking to Melody and saying things about me.”

 

                “Just because they look like me doesn’t make it me.  How could you think such a thing?”

 

Hunter shrugs coolly looking back at the cheesecake.

 

                “True.  And it’s the way you treat me.  What I’ll do is call Melody when she’s back from her holiday to find out who told her, she’s back next Friday, so this is all cleared up.  Come on it must be warm enough now!”

 

                “And besides if I had behaved in such an unprofessional manner I, I mean we, wouldn’t be invited to the party would we?” 

 

                “We’ll see.”  Hunter drawls

 

                “So how did you get the invite momma?”  Jenny asks again zeroing on the cheesecake.  “Oh what’s that, looks like cherries?  Or very small plums?”

 

                “It was delivered to my parents’ house as Melody didn’t know my address, so I passed there to get it, now let’s have some cheesecake it looks scrumptious.”

 

TED

 

                “So Leda, Mel how would you like the news?  Rip off the bandage or gentle teasing?”

 

                “Rip it off Ted.”  Leda sighs

 

                “Rebate of about $16K to you, covers the last 10 years of overpayments and then there’s the rebate due to you and Mel when you jointly submitted…”

 

                “Jeez are you sure?  Of course you’re sure that’s great.  When would I get it?”  Leda is bubbling

 

                “What about momma?”  Gus asks over the hubbub

 

                “I’m coming to that.  Leda and Mel you jointly submitted tax returns correct?  Well it seems that once again you overpaid and you are due a rebate for that of $5,000 each.”

 

                “But that was years ago.  Are you sure?”  Mel gasps.  “Sorry Ted sorry but I’m just so surprised.”

 

Not apparently as surprised as Lindsay is and I can smell her avarice from the other side of the table.

 

                “Leda you will get yours by say the end of the next week once you reply as for the joint one you need to submit that together and again say in about 2 weeks’ time.  Now I don’t want to impose or be presumptuous but I can recommend some stocks and shares for you Leda if you wish and as for Mel I don’t need to...”

 

                “Mom you can use that for New York!”  Jenny exclaims.

 

                “Yes Mel, we could it would be nice to go shopping before the party.”

 

                “Not then mom, J that’s brilliant, she means before the wedding you can get the wedding outfit!”

 

                “No sweethearts I’m not going to blow that much money in one weekend, it’s foolish…”

 

                “So you don’t want the YSL tuxedo that Zee was wearing at the party for Sydney, which would be totally appropriate for our wedding you were drooling over?”  Brain drawls quirking an eyebrow

 

                “Zee and Mel are the same size, surely Zee can loan her the…”

 

                “Mom, I’m putting my foot down now.  Because of you being so brilliant that they wanted you we are here, now you are going to take that money and you are going to buy that suit when we get to New York or I am going to get Uncle Ted to release some money from my college fund and buy it for you.  And of course, you will feel so guilty about it that you will put the money back in my fund, either way you are getting that suit and anything else that blows that five grand you wouldn’t have had in the first place for once put yourself first!”

 

Mel takes a deep breath and looks at the combative posture of Jenny.

 

                “Okay, I’m transferring five grand to you Brian.  And no matter how much I beg.”

 

                “You won’t get it back.  I promise.”

 

                “You two come with me let’s get these rebates sorted out.”

 

                “But Mel what about Gus?”  Lindsay calls out.

 

                “What why the hell should Brian get it?”  Michael glares at him.

 

JUSTIN

 

                “Because he won’t give it back.  And speaking of giving Hunter, I really would rather you kept the money, it’s not as if I need it.”

 

                “I know but, oh wait, I know exactly what I’m going to do with it, well half of it.  Matt come with me!  Dad you too!” 

 

Hunter is dragging him out the room before returning and grabbing another slice of cheesecake.

 

                “Seriously just not fucking fair!” 

 

Brian grumbles as I pull him to the loveseat so we can share a slice of cheesecake.    About ten minutes later,

Hunter comes back grinning and hands Gus and Jenny a piece of paper each and sits back waiting for their reaction.  At first Jenny opens her mouth, then closes it again before dashing round the table in floods of tears to hug him and Gus does the same.

 

                “What’s just happened?”  Carl demands

 

Tearfully Jenny hands him the paper and he hands it to Debs who hugs all three of them tightly.

 

                “You are such a good boy, such a good boy.”  She mumbles

 

                “What?”  Steve asks Ben

 

                “Motocross bikes, he bought them one each and everything that goes with them.”

 

                “Absolutely not!”  Michael shouts.  “It’s bad enough she does roller derby she’s not doing that as well!  You people seem to think forget that I am her father and I get a say in what happens to her and what kinds of gifts she’s allowed to receive and this is not one of them.”

 

                “You jizzed in a cup eventually, don’t pay support, barely come to see her, never invite her round to see you and the only time you play the ‘father card’ is when someone pays her attention!”  Debs bellows.

 

                “Debbie really!”  Lindsay admonishes

 

                “What?  Don’t sit there as if you didn’t complain about him not ponying up on demand!”

 

                “Ma!  Jenny doesn’t need to hear that!”  Michael objects

 

                “I know how I was conceived for heaven sake!”  Jenny huffs

 

                “Which reminds me have you…”  Zee begins.

 

                “Leave it, I mean it leave it.”  Faal demands.

 

                “But…”

 

                “Leave it alone.”  He repeats.

 

                “Fine.”

 

                “I never had you down as being obedient Zee.”  Lindz crows

               

                “Obedient?”  Zee grits out

 

                “You know like a…”

 

                “Careful Lindsay there are more Starks than there are Petersons.”  Aunt D warns

 

                “Darling, go ahead.”  Faal kisses her temple.

 

                “Cleared up the misunderstanding for Gus and explained exactly what you meant by ‘gave in’ to him when it came to Justin and Aunt Daph.”

 

I quickly look at Vince who just winks at me and I breathe.

 

                “I don’t know what you’re talking about?  And I don’t think this is an appropriate discussion for…”

 

                “What misunderstanding?”  Luc asks Gus who goes slightly pink.

 

“Uh I don’t think dad would be…”

 

                “No son, I’ll be fine, I know where my ‘home is’ and with this family well…”

 

                “Mom told me that dad and she slept together and I thought it was to get me but…”

 

                “What?!”  Mel bellows

 

                “But!  It was a mistake, not a mistake in that sense, I mean they slept together before but not to conceive me I misunderstood!” 

 

                “And what do you mean you know how you were conceived who told you?”  Lindz asks Jenny.

 

                “Mom told me.”  Jenny digs into her cheesecake.

 

                “Mel!  Why would you tell her such a thing?”  Lindz demands

 

                “She asked and I wasn’t going to lie or have her misunderstand something.”  She barks back.

 

                “And as for me not ponying up on demand?  It was a difficult time back then what with Hunter coming into our lives and Ben’s steroid abuse…”

 

                “Oh you are not blaming me for that!”  Hunter objects.  “You knocked Mel up before I arrived.”

 

                “What steroid use?”  Steve looks at Ben in surprise.

 

                “Oh, was that a little secret I let out Ben, sorry about that.”  Michael smirks.

 

                “Yeah you look all broken up about that.  It was after my ex died and I…”

 

                “By ex he means the guy who infected him.”  Michael supplies helpfully

 

                “I know who he was Michael!  So you bought into the myth about the roids, you must have been so scared.” 

 

                “Fucking terrified and angry above all else I was angry.”  Ben confesses.  “And waiting just waiting for it to happen.”

 

We all go quiet and wait for him to continue.

 

                “What made you stop?”  Steve cards his fingers through his hair

 

                “Me, he stopped because of me.”  Michael smiles smugly.

 

                “Partly.  It was foolhardy of you to make the point the way you did.  But deep down I knew I was doing something stupid and amazingly enough it was hurting Brian.”

 

                “Hurting Brian when did you hurt Brian?”  I demand and his arms tighten round me.

 

                “He tried to point out the error of my ways and I almost stuffed him into a locker at the gym, not my finest hour I will admit and I was a bitch to him too.  Every time I went to the gym and saw that dent…”

 

                “But it took my actions to get you to stop finally.”  Michael says proudly.

 

                “Like I said it was partly that but above all else it was Hunter.”  Ben smiles at him.

 

                “Hunter?”  Michael echoes

 

                “I didn’t stop completely after your actions I merely hid it better but then Hunter came into our lives and I wanted to help him and I couldn’t keep taking it and help him at the same time, so I stopped.”

 

                “I remember you coming to find me with that godawful coat.”  Hunter whispers.

 

                “Worked though didn’t it, you’re my son and I couldn’t be prouder.  And Steve, I’m sorry…”

 

                “Stop.  I would’ve preferred to hear it from you instead of your crowing bitter ex but I understand your reasoning, worst thing I ever took was roids.  I was too afraid to go to sleep for about 3 nights and ended up breaking my toe when I dropped a weight on it.”

 

We’re silent for a while before Lilah comes in chirruping and leaps into my lap before head bumping my chest to curl round Brian’s neck.

 

                “Now that I just don’t get.”  Debs chuckles.  “How Brian ended up with a living scarf.  Did she just decide that’s where I’m going to be and you didn’t object.”

 

I snort and he jabs me in my ribs and gets a bop on his head from Lilah.

 

        “Alice you want to take this one?”  I call out.

 

        “Simple, one day he was wearing his Armani cashmere and silk scarf and Lilah decided she wanted it and as a joke he draped her round his neck on top of it and there she’s remained.”

 

                “Wait so you are pussy whipped dad!” 

 

                “Only by the feline kind sonny boy only by the feline kind”

 

                “Lindsay?”

 

                “Yes Hunter?”

 

                “About Melody’s party which one are you going to?”

 

                “Which one?”  Lindz looks confused.

 

                “Yeah, there’s two.  The one on Saturday night, which they are catering and the one on Sunday lunch one which is at some fancy place but we’re not going to that we’re going to The Cecil in Harlem, which we have ordered the entire menu for.”  Luc explains.

 

                “The entire menu?  Why?”  I ask.

 

Chuckling Luc hands me his phone and I look at him.

 

                “Oh good call!  Can we pre-order, I think we need at least two of the oxtail right.”

 

                “What difference does it make?”  Lindz asks.

 

                “I have to be back in court on Monday.”  Mel advises her.

 

                “Well then since you will have to go home Sunday I will need to organise a car for you to take you to the airport.”

 

                “Excuse me you are all talking in riddles!  Why can’t we all come home on Sunday?”  Lindz snaps.

 

                “Because the rest of us aren’t coming home until Tuesday night, we have meetings until then.  So you will have to make your own way home.  I’m not sending the plane out unnecessarily, don’t take this badly Mel, but as much as I love you airplane fuel is fucking expensive!”  Zee winks at her.

 

                “I’m hurt but I understand.”  She chuckles.

 

                “I thought you said you weren’t meeting anybody in New York Hunter?” 

 

                “No I said I wasn’t meeting anybody that Melody wanted me to meet in New York, I’m going with Justin and Lydia to meet his New York agent.  Anymore cheesecake?”

 

                “Well why can’t I come to those meetings?” 

 

I take a careful bite of my cheesecake and look at Brian, who shrugs.

 

                “She wants to meet Hunter and Lydia, she’s considering replicating the show with Lust and The Kiss and you weren’t involved in that.”

 

                “If it wasn’t for Lindsay you wouldn’t have got to go to New York remember Justin.  And this is how you repay her by trying to shut her out?”  Michael berates me.

 

                “Yes we’re all aware of the great Lindsay Peterson hand in my career Michael but nobody apart from Brian and I know how fucking miserable we were without each other!  In the first 9 months I was out there not one gallery wanted to see me, I got nowhere!”

 

                “But you’re a success now and I had something to do with that!”  Lindz interjects

 

                “No, you had nothing to do with that!  The reason I got better was because of one phone call.  I called Brian and begged him to let me come home, he said no but he would come and see me for one weekend just one.”

 

                “So he came to your rescue for one weekend as you couldn’t hack it…”  Michael sneers

 

                “He came and things got better and after a year I got my first showing and…”

 

                “Oh my goodness, you did that for baby?”  Emmy Lou smiles tearfully.  “So proud of you.”

 

                “What did what?”  Faal asks.

 

                “Jesus Brian.”  Mom gasps with admiration.  “And you never said a word Justin!”

 

                “He said he would leave if I did.”  I mumble

 

                “You have got to be kidding me?”  Mel just stares as the penny drops.  “I knew something was off!”

 

She smiles and raises her glass to Brian and me

 

                “Someone tell us what it is that has Emmy Lou proud and Jennifer gobsmacked?”  Luc demands

 

                “My one ‘failure’, was trying to set up Kinnetic in Chicago but it wasn’t a failure as I wasn’t doing that, I was in New York with Justin.  And when he got his first show and then his second I came home and waited for him to do the same.” 

 

                “You were in New York with, with him!”  Michael stammers.

 

                “Yes with his partner imagine that.  Giving him the support he needed.”  Ben crows

 

                “But what if Gus needed you!”  Lindz demands.

 

                “You lied to me all that time you lied to me!”  Michael blasts.   “How could you?”

 

                “You were his best friend not his lover and you had Ben at the time remember!”  Carl blasts back.

 

                “And this reaction is why you don’t have him now!”  Steve adds hotly.

 

                “You stay out of it!”  Michael screeches

 

                “Brian what else haven’t you told me about Justin’s time in New York!”  Lindz blusters

 

                “What difference does it make mom, he’s back now it was years ago!”  Gus adds

 

                “Yeah Lindz, over reacting much, I can understand Michael because he’s well him, but you?”

 

                “Be quiet Mel, this is between Brian and me!  Well Brian what else is there?”

 

                “You don’t speak to my mom like that!”  Jenny hollers

 

                “And you can shut up the fuck up as well you uppity little madam!”  Lindz snaps at Jenny

 

                “Uppity little madam!  That’s rich coming from you!”  Jenny spits back.  “Uncle Brian owes you nothing not a damn thing then, now or in the future about his relationship with Uncle Justin!”

 

                “Yes he does!  I am the mother of his child!”

 

                “Who is a lesbian; but is acting like a jealous housewife over something that happened years ago for fuck sake!”  Leda shouts.  “He was where he needed to be for the person who he needed to be with!”

 

                “Leda, with all due respect…”

 

                “Respect that’s another rich one!”  Hunter barks.  “Well I don’t know about you guys I’m done listening to the deranged ramblings of a jealous mind, gonna watch some TV who’s coming.”

 

Faal, Matt, Gus and Jenny follow him out with Jenny giving one last hateful look to Lindz on her way.

 

                “I saw that look Jenny Rebecca!”  Lindz calls out sharply.

 

                “Get used to them they’re the only ones you’re going to get!”  She calls back

 

                “You are grounded and you’re not going to New York!”  She blasts back.

 

                “No she’s not and yes she is!”  Mel shouts.

 

                “Well thanks for backing me up there Mel, once again I can rely on you to undermine me at every time!”

 

                “Did you even listen to what you said to Jenny?”  Aunt D asks

 

                “Aunt D you don’t know what it’s like to have children, so until…”

 

                “No my lig!  Stay there!  Stay right there!  Listen to me, listen to me!  Not worth it, not worth it!”

 

With supreme effort and with her eyes locks on Faal she sits back down.

 

                “Get out!”  Leda shouts.

 

                “Whilst I don’t normally condone people throwing out their landlords I think in this instance it’s totally just…”

 

                “Not her, you stupid bitch!  You!  You and him out of my house!”  She yells pointing at Michael.

 

Lindz and Michael look round the table when George and Vince both stand up.

 

                “Fine!  Mel you and I will be having a little chat when you get home!”  She hisses

 

                “Oh yes we will indeed!  Along the lines of you finding somewhere else to stay!  In fact why don’t you do that now and move in with Michael!”

 

Lindz goes pale and her mouth drops open in shock.

 

                “Mel?”

 

 

                “You had better be gone by the time we get home!”  She snaps.

Chapter End Notes:

Acronym meanings:

*LIES = Lindsay is extremely stupid

**MICE = Michael's intentions clearly exposed

Please reveiw kindly and constructively.  Thank you.  xx