- Text Size +

CHAPTER 4 – RESOLVE IS WEAKENING…THEN SHE CAME ALONG!


 


NOVEMBER 2014


 


TREEHOUSE – SATURDAY LATE AFTERNOON


 


FAAL


 


I watch the truck back up and dump more ice in the pool.  It is coming along nicely and if this cold weather holds then Justin will get his wish and will be ice skating at Christmas.  He’s such a big kid…but I have to admit that I am looking forward to it too.  And I know that Ben and Hunter are as well.  And it will be something for Hunter to teach Matt, he’s always been afraid the ice would break or he would slice his fingers off.


 


I head back to join the family and wink at Emmy Lou and nod at Brian and Justin.


 


                “So Justin, I was wondering what you think of this?” 


 


Emmy Lou asks and hands him a piece of paper.


 


                “What exactly is it?”  He frowns keeping his head down.


 


                “A glass, a champagne coupe in fact, so from an artist’s point of view what do you think of the style and form, do you think it flows?”


 


                “It does, I guess but maybe you could change it slightly?”


 


                “How so?”  He hands Justin at pencil.


 


                “Well you could make it a bit deeper, the one thing I have always found is that coupes are just that tiny bit too shallow, it’s like one sip and it’s empty.  What do you think Brian?”


 


                “Uh, oh yes, sorry miles away.  Champagne coupes, always too shallow and too delicate, if only they could be made slightly thicker and…”


 


                “Okay let’s skip the foreplay and cut to the fuck.  What do you want?”  Zee sighs.  “Your acting is appalling.”


 


                “You to make our wedding glasses just a set for the family.  I’m only doing this once so it will be a reminder of a momentous occasion…”  Justin rushes out.


 


I watch her face, the incredulous and touched expression is priceless.


 


                “Let me see that.” 


 


She indicates the paper and Justin and Emmy Lou start to sniffle and squeal and sit next to her.  She holds out her hand as if holding a glass, looking thoughtful.


 


                “We could have a longer and thicker stem and maybe a second lip before the actual cup so that when you’re holding it, the champagne doesn’t get too warm or…”


 


                “Ooh I like the sound of that.  Warm bubbles bad…”  Emmy Lou nods sagely.


 


Suddenly she smiles and starts to scribble furiously, then looks round at all of us.


 


                “What, what is it?”  Justin demands excitedly.


 


                “Not sure but I have a glimmer of an idea.  Right no more of this, or it won’t be a surprise!”


 


She pulls me into the kitchen.


 


                “I love you.”  She whispers before kissing me softly and going to put on the coffee.


 


I head back to the lounge with the dopiest smile on my face, it gets bigger when she curls into my lap and wiggles to make herself comfortable.  We sit in companionable silence just watching the fire when suddenly Emmy Lou giggles.


 


                “What’s so funny?”  Brian asks.


 


                “Not that I am knocking this, but there was a time when I would just be waking up after a night, or actually morning, in Babylon and trying to find a way to either get rid of a trick or cure a hangover.  Or even both.  Now look at us all.”


 


                “Jeez, I can’t remember the last time I went to Babylon to dance.”  Ted chuckles.


 


                “Uh Teddy, I was there what you were doing was not dancing.”  Emmy Lou teases.


 


                “What’s it like?”  Zee asks.


 


Pairs of astonished eyes look at her.


 


                “What do you mean what’s it like?  You’ve never been?”  Blake gasps.


 


                “I have heard stories of your legendary, now retired happily, antics.”  I tease Brian.


 


He snorts and nuzzles Justin’s neck.


 


                “Oh God do you remember the King of Babylon contest that David entered?!”  Emmett gasps.


 


                “David as in David Cameron David?”  Jennifer giggles at the image of him dancing.


 


                “Yeah I entered him, much to Michael’s embarrassment and annoyance, because I was being an asshole but Justin won.”


 


                “He won?  What kind of dancing was it?”  Jennifer asks.


 


                “Pole dancing, with lots of air fuc…thrusting.  And I do believe there was a little evening delight after that wasn’t there?”  Brian teases an embarrassed Justin.


 


                “So why don’t we go?  I’ve not worked up a sweat on the dancefloor for ages.”  Zee suggests.


 


We all exchange glances. 


 


                “And by we, I mean everyone in this room, we can do it on one of our weekends, which would make it either the weekend before after Thanksgiving…” 


 


                “Oh no I don’t think I could…”  Carl blusters.


 


                “Nonsense, I’ve always said you’d make one hell of a bear, I think it’s an excellent idea!  Oh come on Carl, you’d love it, we’ll keep you very safe.”  Emmy Lou is wheedling.


 


                “We can book a stretch hummer, the ones with the TV set to the sports channel.  So if it gets too much for you Carl you can always go back to the car…”  Zee is now batting her eyes at him.


 


                “TV, sports channel and beer and…I can bail when I want?”  He looks pointedly at Emmy Lou.


 


                “I will even provide nibbles so that you don’t get hungry.  I promise.”  He crosses his fingers.


 


                “So we are going to go dancing in Babylon?”  Tucker asks.


 


                “Looks like it.”  Brian drawls.


 


                “Well here’s to that then!”  I raise my glass.  “If you think her pool is good…”  I smirk at him.


 


SHADYSIDE RESIDENCE


 


MICHAEL


 


I finally feel settled here, well apart from the Breeders.  Joshua seems a nice guy and his wife, Carrie, and kid, Sarah, are okay I suppose. 


 


I haven’t seen much of the gang lately and now that I don’t have my store I don’t have much to do.  I have been surfing for collectibles mostly. 


 


And it seems they have been in touch with my ex-accountant as they called me to ask why I hadn’t told them I no longer had the store.  I said I forgot.  He told me that as the new owners they had the right to look at the books so it would’ve saved him having to sit through an embarrassing phone call.  I hung up on him.  He’s no longer my accountant so he doesn’t get to speak to me like that. 


 


The rent on this place isn’t too bad, think Lindz got me a special deal.  With the money I still have left of the loan, I can live off that for a while.   I should really save that and look for a job but it’s too cold to trudge out for interviews for jobs I most likely won’t get. 


 


I had heard and seen the mailman earlier so head out to collect it.  As I look across the street I could’ve sworn I saw Hank, no must have imagined it.


 


There’s the bill from the lawyers but nothing more.  So Mr Smarty Pants Lawyer was wrong about them issuing another writ for the food bill, maybe he was wrong about other things he said too. 


 


Just as I’m about to make a cup of coffee my phone rings.


 


                “Michael Novotny Bruckner speaking.”


 


                “Hello, this is Paula, I am from Pittsburgh Fine Foods. I was given your contact details by a Ted Schmidt with regards to an outstanding bill.”


 


                “Who and what outstanding bill?”


 


                “It seems that there was some charges placed erroneously on the account of Kinnetic Inc and these should be billed to yourself.  I am calling to settle the account as it is long past due.  We need this paid today so as to avoid unnecessary litigation.” 


 


                “I don’t…”


 


                “Mr Novotny Bruckner, there are emails that are from you ordering the food, whilst you had authority to order certain items up to a certain date our records show that you ordered extra items and past the authorised date.  And these were delivered to another address on occasion.  As I said to avoid unnecessary litigation this needs to be settled, you would hate to pay court fees on top of the $5,000 you already owe now wouldn’t you?”


 


Twenty minutes later I have $5K less in my bank and need a friendly voice.


 


                “Hi oh Jenny, hey Honeybun how are you?” 


 


                “Mom!  He’s on the phone!” 


 


I can hear Mel asking who he is.


 


                “Michael.  How nice of you to finally call.  Is this about the non-arrival of your part the support payment?”  She coldly asks.


 


                “Where’d Jenny go I wanted to talk to her?  Wait what?  My part?”  


 


                “She doesn’t want to talk to you Michael?  Yes your part you still have to support your daughter, Ben is doing his bit, you have to do yours, so I expect it by Monday.  Now if you don’t mind.”


 


                “No wait, can I speak to Lindz instead then?”


 


                “Lindz?  Uh no, she’s out.  Won’t be back until later.”


 


                “Oh right, can you get her to call me back then?  Thanks bye.”


 


MEL & LINDZ HOUSE


 


MEL


 


I look at the phone in confusion, since when have Michael and Lindz been speaking buddies?  My thoughts are dragged from that by the sound of an annoyed huff and muttering.


 


                “So what did he say?”


 


                “Oh hi Honeybun how are you?  No sorry nothing!  If he had just made an effort and he’s not even called Hunter to apologise to him. I’ve checked.  Whenever he sees him he goes in the opposite direction, Hunter not him, he’s so upset.  I’ve made up my mind for sure, I am going to ask papa to formally adopt me but…”


 


                “As much as he’s hurt you and Hunter, you don’t want to disown him?”  I ask gently.


 


                “Not yet.  I want to give him just one more chance.”  She says in a small voice.  “But if he fucks up then we’re done!”  She growls.


 


                “There’s my girl!” 


 


We fist bump and hug.


 


                “What are you two happy about?”  Lindz voice startles us.


 


                “We’ve come to a decision about Michael.”


 


                “What does that mean exactly?”  She asks.


 


                “Sorry, client attorney privilege.  Oh speaking of Michael, he phoned, wants you to call him back.”


 


                “Yes I will do that later, it’s good for him to know he still has a friend.”


 


FORTY MINUTES LATER


 


LINDZ


 


                “Hi Michael it’s me Lindz?  How’s everything going?  You all settled in now?   Ah yes I had forgotten how family centric that place is.  What do you mean Mel reamed you out, what for?  Oh I see, just make sure you pay it on Monday.  And I think there is going to be good news about this adoption nonsense.  Look I have got to go, I will call you later in the week okay?”


 


I sigh and head downstairs, luckily the kids are in their rooms.


 


                “Mel, Michael is having enough problems at the moment, couldn’t you have been a bit gentler with him?”


 


                “In what respect was I not gentle?”  She looks confused.


 


                “About the support payments…”


 


                “Oh well how come Ben can gets his here on time and Michael can’t?  I’m not sure what you are up to Lindz but it worries me that you seem to be more interested in being Michael’s friend than Jenny’s mom.”


 


                “I’m not it’s just…”


 


                “You realise that he still has the money he got from Brian and Justin, he has no excuse!  That hotel must be costing him a fortune to stay in…”


 


                “He’s not in the hotel, he’s in my parents prop…”


 


                “What!  You have got to be fucking kidding me!”


 


                “No, I was going to tell you, but only when I knew what was happening with him and Jenny.  And now that seems to be sorted, he’ll have somewhere for Jenny to stay when she visits…”


 


                “I’m not visiting him!  Not until he makes things better if he even wants to!”  Jenny shouts.


 


We both whirl round in surprise.


 


                “Everything is on him now!  He’s got to try and he’s not bothered yet!”


 


She stomps back upstairs to her room.


 


                “Bullshit!  This is total bullshit!”  Mel snaps and storms upstairs.


 


MEL & LINDZ’S HOUSE – NEXT DAY


 


MEL


 


Jenny and Gus are out, he wanted to cheer her up after yesterday.  So this should give Lindz and me time to talk, but of course she flounced out this morning so I am sitting here waiting for her return, when my phone rings.


 


                “Melanie Marcus speaking.”


 


                “Hi Melanie, its Harry Chase from Chase Donaldson and Harper how are you?  I hope you don’t mind me calling you on a Sunday?”


 


                “Oh hi Harry.  I’m fine how about you, you’re not disturbing me.”


 


                “How’s Toronto treating you?”  He asks.


 


                “Well the winters are a bitch but I can’t complain too much.”


 


                “Well I’ll come straight to the point.  I’ve always admired your tenacity and fighting spirit when I faced you in court, hence you leading me 5 to 1.  And since I would rather fight with you than against you, there is a partnership vacancy coming up at the end of the year and I wanted to give you first refusal.”


 


                “What?”  I gasp.


 


                “Obviously this would mean moving back to good ole Pittsburgh but would you give it some thought at least?”


 


                “Uh yeah.  I will.  Thanks, oh wait when do you need a decision?”


 


                “Before Thanksgiving, or latest the first week in December, which would give us time to sort out the paperwork before you, hopefully, start in the New Year.”


 


I hang up and stare at my phone.  What the actual fuck!


 


UPTOWN GALLERY – WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON


 


MATT


 


                “Hey.” 


 


Hunter leaps about 10 feet in the air and immediately hangs up.


 


                “Hey.  What, what are you doing here?”  He looks distinctly uncomfortable and guilty.


 


                “Lunch?  We arranged to go at one.”  I remind him.


 


                “Oh yeah, sorry forgot, things on my mind.”


 


                “So are we going?”  I nod towards the door.


 


He nods and we head out.  It turns out to be one of the worst lunches ever, he’s barely talking or eating.  I try and think about what I have done or anything that’s worrying him and when he practically runs back to the gallery I have a bad feeling about this.  He’s been like this for the last week.


 


My gut feeling gets worse when he cancels on me last minute.  I know the signs and this is not good.


 


TREEHOUSE


 


MATT


 


                “What no date with your boy?”  Dad teases.


 


                “No.” 


 


Dad turns my face to him and I try to blink back the tears. 


 


                “What is it?”  He asks gently.


 


                “I don’t know!  He’s being secretive!  He’s been on the phone a lot and he hangs up when I come in and now he’s cancelled on me on the last minute without a good reason, other than he’s tired!  I think he’s going to dump me!”


 


The one thing I love about dad is that although he has a robust sense of humour and I complain about his lack of boundaries, he does actually know when to stop.  Pulling me into his arms, he lets me cry, rubbing my back until I stop.


 


                “Have you asked him if there is a problem?”


 


                “No, too scared!”


 


                “How can you deal with a problem if you don’t know what it is?”


 


I sniffle and know he’s right, but would never tell him that. 


 


                “Call him and explain your worries and see what he says.”


 


                “Yeah but not today.”


 


I head upstairs and shake my head at mom when she looks at me.


 


FAAL


 


                “What’s up with Matt?”  Zee asks.


 


                “He thinks Hunter is going to dump him.”


 


She sighs in frustration.


 


                “I told him to be honest.  I told him not to do it this way.  But did he listen, nope, well now look what’s happened?!”


 


                “What do you mean, you know what’s happening?”  I demand.


 


She nods and calls for Matt, it takes him a full 10 minutes to come down.


 


                “Sit down.  And listen, do not say a word, just listen.”  She orders and then dials a number.


 


                “Hey.”


 


                “Hey Hunter.  How you doing?”


 


                “Um okay I guess.  Struggling with the pears.  I don’t know if I’ve got it quite right it looks a little lopsided.  And I think there’s too much sugar.  Fuck!”


 


                “Hunter, sweetheart can you tell me again why you are doing this?”


 


                “Because I love your son, it’s his favourite dinner and I want to get this meal right.  He almost caught me ordering the goose legs today, when can you show me how to confit, yeah confit, them…”


 


                “Sweetie I know my son.  He will be imaging all kinds of shit right now if you start acting differently.  So you guys going to the Brownstone tonight?”


 


                “Um…”


 


                “Oh what’s with the um?”


 


                “I kinda cancelled last minute on him.”


 


                “Hunter!  How is that helpful?  Look, don’t you think it would be better to let him help?  It will make it more special for you both?”


 


                “I guess.”


 


There is a long silence, we all exchange looks.


 


                “Matt?”


 


We all jump when he says his name.


 


                “Wanna come over and I tell you why I’m doing what I’m doing?”


 


                “Yeah, where are you?”


 


                “At home.”


 


                “Okay see you soon.”


 


                “Okay.  Uh Zee?”


 


                “Yep.”


 


                “Nicely done.”


 


                “That Hunter speak for thank you?”


 


                “Yeah.  Bye.”


 


BEN & HUNTER’S HOUSE – 35 MINUTES LATER


 


HUNTER


 


I open the door and before I could say anything he captures my mouth and after 10 minutes he lifts his head.


 


                “So this dinner then?”


 


                “Sometimes Jenny makes a lot of sense, with the 3 month thing…”  I mumble embarrassed.


 


                “Yes, yes she does.”  He replies before kissing me again.


 


SHADYSIDE RESIDENCE – THURSDAY MORNING


 


MICHAEL


 


I have a bitch of a headache having been shouted out by Mel for the last 10 minutes.  I forgot to send the support payment and then she had to remind me again, it’s not totally my fault Ben always handled these things if he had reminded me of the date it was due.


 


I head to the park to clear my head, although it is cold there is sunshine.  I’m brought up short when I see David with Carrie and Sarah, I storm over to them.


 


                “What the hell are you doing here David?!”  I bellow.


 


                “I could ask the same of you Michael.  Shouldn’t you be in the store?” He replies coolly.


 


                “What’s going on here, I could hear you clear across the park Michael.”  Joshua demands.


 


                “You should keep you and your family away from this charlatan.”  I warn.


 


                “What are you talking about?”  Joshua snaps.


 


                “This man is a liar, whatever you do guard your money, and don’t believe anything he says!” 


 


I shout and smile when Joshua turns to David and frowns


 


                “David, what is he talking about?”


 


My smile wavers, David looks totally calm.


 


                “As you are aware Joshua, I’m bisexual.  Well, I made the mistake of restarting a former relationship with Michael, one I regret deeply.  He gave me some money and after I ended the relationship he wanted it back, naturally I refused as I considered it a gift.”


 


                “Bi…”  I splutter.


 


                “And not that it’s any of your business Michael, but since you seem to live round here and we run the risk of bumping into each other, I am here to visit my daughter Sarah.”


 


                “I think now would be a good time to go back home.”  Joshua mutters and they leave.


 


Bisexual?  Daughter?  What?!


 


DINER


 


KIKI


 


Ah the yellow bellied asshole has crawled out of his lair.  Debs starts to head towards him but I shake my head.


 


                “Yes can I help you?”


 


                “I’m waiting for ma.” 


 


                “This is my section, her section is busy so again can I help you?”


 


                “I need a coffee, double espresso.”


 


I tap the toe of my velvet pump until he looks up and I quirk a perfectly manicured brow.


 


                “Please?”  He asks begrudgingly.


 


I nod and head to sort out the miscreant’s order.


 


Once served, I keep a careful eye on Debs, he keeps looking at her morosely and the only thing he doesn’t do is start crying.  I know she’s going to cave and I can’t stop her all I can do is be there for her when the inevitable shit hits the fan.


 


DEBS


 


I know Kiki means well but he’s still my boy but I can do this I can!


 


                “Michael what are you doing here?  Shouldn’t you be looking for work?”


 


                “I’m too traumatised to do that!  Besides I still have some money left from them to live on.”  He gripes


 


I know he’s waiting for me to ask what’s wrong but I don’t.


 


                “So I understand you are now in Shadyside?  It…”


 


                “Wow he got to you quickly didn’t he?  Did he gloat about it?”


 


Kiki edges closer ready to come to my aid if needs be.


 


                “Look Michael, I don’t know what you are talking about.  The reason I know you are in Shadyside is because you…”


 


                “Saw David and he took great pleasure in rubbing it in that he is bisexual, regrets restarting our relationship, doesn’t have to give my money back and oh guess what has a daughter!”  He snarls.


 


                “No actually I was going to say, that you told Ben your new address.  An address I would’ve preferred to have gotten from you directly I might add.”


 


                “It’s not as if you’ve been in contact!”  He snaps.


 


                “Contact works both ways Michael!  And again with the mouth!  Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to cover my section!”


 


As I turn to walk back I see Carl at the counter, he nods, smiles, then blows me a kiss.


 


BEN & HUNTER’S – WEDNESDAY EVENING


 


STEVE


 


I really like the new layout.  Thank fuck they’ve got rid of that ugly unit.  Hunter and Matt took great pleasure in smashing it to smithereens, no prizes for guessing who picked it out.


 


With the open plan style of the place it looks more homely.  And the massive TV that he has on the wall is a great focal point.  We pooled together and got him that, he was so touched.  It has this special feature that when it’s not being used for watching you can set a screensaver to whatever you want, currently he has a slide show of Tibet.  It’s very soothing.  He’s decorated upstairs, everything just looks so fresh and new.


 


                “So you ready for our fight?”  He asks holding the remote.


 


                “What fight?  Oh yeah bring it on!”


 


He switches on FoodNetwork and within 10 minutes we are having a healthy debate over who got Chopped!


 


                “There’s no way he should’ve gone!”  I argue swiping the last of the dumplings.


 


                “Oh please the sauce split and he didn’t even try to fancy up his dessert, Taylor with her eyes closed could’ve done better!” 


 


I snort and then burst out laughing.


 


                “Yep you’re right he was awful!  Who the hell puts mackerel with strawberries?!”


 


                “Ha!  Travel Channel or National Geographic?”  He asks.


 


                “Actually, I know it’s really lame and you would most likely feel your brain cells run out in horror but Say Yes to the Dress?”


 


He looks at me.  I feel the blush creeping up my neck.


 


                “I know I know!  But the trailer for this week’s is really good and I forgot to set it to record and…”


 


                “I know it’s scripted but there are times I’m screaming at the screen that you aren’t fucking wearing it!”


 


                “You too!”


 


He switches to the programme and for the next couple of hours we wince, shout and roll our eyes at the screen. 


 


                “More wine sir?”  I ask heading to the kitchen


 


                “Actually my lectures start at 1200 but I still have some papers to grade, so I better not.”


 


I hadn’t realised how close behind me he was until I turned round and we were face to face. 


 


I’m not sure who moved first but first it was an arm around a waist.   Then it was hands in hair stroking softly and gently.  The first kiss was almost chaste, wondering how far we were willing to go.  The second kiss involved gently entwining our tongues and then it melded into the third and fourth kiss. 


 


Our breathing grew heavy and laboured and I started to gently push him back towards the sofa not once did we break contact until we were lying down gazing at each other, each stroking fingers through each other’s hair.


 


                “I should go.”  I mumble against his lips.


 


                “Yeah, it’s getting late.”  He murmurs back


 


                “So next Wednesday still on?”  I whisper in his ear


 


                “Yeah.” He whispers back in mine.


 


                “Good.”  I sigh.


 


TREEHOUSE – SATURDAY EVENING


 


FAAL


 


I’m so excited, I haven’t danced at a disco with my lig for ages!  We dance at home all the time but when it is a dance floor, there have been times we’ve not made it home before I pounce or the other way round!


 


Must remember not to call it a disco or the guys will have my balls.


 


I can hear Debbie cackling upstairs with the rest of them, we’ve not been allowed to see what our partner is wearing until we head to the car, it’s a silly ritual Zee and I have, that way we just have to go in what we are wearing.


 


Alice and George, despite our best efforts declined to come with us but we promised full disclosure on Sunday when they came round for lunch.  Hunter and Matt were practising their cooking skills in ahead of their anniversary dinner on Sunday so we wouldn’t see them this weekend.


 


Okay I hear the clack of heels on wood floors…its show time!


 


As they come down appreciative whistles abound, everyone pretends not to notice how Ben and Steve look at each other.


 


But it is when Justin comes down that things start to get interesting.  Brian actually stops talking and slowly looks him up and down.  He’s wearing a silver blue lambskin tee and dark blue suede pants and a heavy belt.


 


                “First stop the office.”  He murmurs and pulls him into his arms.


 


Emmett is next wearing a dove grey shirt and sprayed on leather pants that do everything for him.  Drew clears his throat.


 


Tucker’s eyes pop out of his head when he sees Jennifer.


 


                “Right we need to have a brandy before we go!”  I cry and turn to the cart to pour them.


 


                “Uh Faal…”  Blake calls out.


 


I turn round and freeze.  Zee is wearing a fine chain mail shirt in chocolate brown unbuttoned from the middle, a pair of skin tight jeans in dark tan with milk chocolate thigh high leather boots with a low heel, from a distance she looks naked.


 


                “Ek kan nie wag om te skil dat julle afgewentel [1].”  I breathe.


 


                “Ek sal jou vashou aan wat [2].”  She replies with a wink.


 


                “Told you so.”  Emmy Lou chirrups at her.


 


                “So uh brandy.”  Carl prompts grinning wolfishly at Debs who blushes furiously.


 


We quickly drink our drinks and head to the car. 


 


                “Fuck.”  Ben breathes.  “I know I am all for the environment but that is awesome!”


 


                “And green too!” I point out and then groan as Zee bends down in front of me to talk to the driver.


 


                “God gee my krag [3]!”  I mutter and shove her in the car.


 


When we get to Babylon we head to the front of the line and once inside it parts like the Red Sea to let Brian through to the bar, he speaks briefly to the barman and then leads us to the private area.  He and Justin promptly disappear, with Emmy Lou calling out that they should remember the dry cleaning bill before they get too carried away.


 


                “I have the feeling that Carl won’t be watching sports tonight!” 


 


Emmy Lou yells in my ear as we watch Carl and a leather bear get into an animated conversation about cuffs and I think he was asking where he got his waistcoat from!


 


Soon everyone is enjoying themselves and Brian and Justin are back until Justin bends down in front of Brian and they disappear again but not for as long.


 


                “Enough fucking let’s dance!”  Zee demands pulling Justin and Emmy Lou along with her.


 


For the next 2 hours we work up a sweat.  At one point we lose Deb who has to go and reunite a couple.  Jennifer comes rushing back beet red having asked for directions to the bathroom and was directed to the backroom and refused to go anywhere without Tucker for the rest of the night.  Brian and Justin were superglued to each other from the crotch up.  Ben and Steve dance up a storm with Emmy Lou and Drew.  Ted and Blake smiled indulgently at our antics and occasionally made out on the sofa.


 


                “Can we request a song?”  I yell in Brian’s ear.


 


He nods and when I tell him he looks perplexed.


 


                “Trust me!”  I yell.


 


He heads to the DJ who shrugs and nods


 


                “He says he’ll play it in about 10 minutes.”  He tells me.


 


Zee and Justin are still dancing up a storm and when the song Remember Me by Babybird came on, at first the crowd didn’t like it but one by one they started to look at them.  Marvelling at how even though their moves are slightly different they are both undulating and swaying with their eyes closed, lips parted and heads back, totally lost.


 


                “Who is that and is she seeing anybody?”  I hear a woman ask.


 


                “Jesus.”  Brian mutters. “What’s that called again?” 


 


When the song stops, Zee looks up and grins at me, I wrap my arms round her and pull her to the bar.  Brian and Justin start making out.  When they finally come up for air, she is grabbed back by Justin and Emmy Lou for more dancing and before we know it, it is gone four.  We round up the troops.  Carl and Deb had called it a night about two with Carl looking embarrassed when the leather bear insisted on giving him his phone number.  The rest of us staggered back to the car and flopped inside.


 


                “Definitely a PJTO day!”  Zee mutters into my chest before falling asleep.


 


DINER – TUESDAY LUNCHTIME


 


DEBS


 


It may have taken about 2 days but we have finally recovered from our night in Babylon.  Although Carl and I hardly danced I think he enjoyed it and he’s made a new and interesting friend in the leather bear Grizz.


 


I look up as the bell goes and Michael comes in.  I haven’t spoken to him since the last time he was here.  Rumour has it that he’s still trying to find a law firm that will take his cases, why he doesn’t just drop this is beyond me. Ben’s been getting frustrated because he’s been slow to respond to his lawyers, clipping him upside his head must have done more damage than I thought, but if he wasn’t so stupid sometimes I wouldn’t have to clip him.


 


I’m so looking forward to Thanksgiving in a couple of days.  The girls and Gus are coming down.  Which makes me sad about what Michael is going to be doing.  Nobody has said anything but I can’t bear the thought of him spending it by himself, if he would just make the first fucking move at some form of contrition.


 


The boys come in and immediately head to the back booth without looking in his direction.


 


JUSTIN


 


He’s sitting at a table by himself.  I know I hate him with the strength of a thousand suns but Debbie’s heart is breaking and we can all see it but she won’t ask, she won’t put Brian in the position of having to say no.


 


DEBS


 


                “So how have you been Michael?”


 


                “Fine, humiliated but fine.” 


 


I sit down opposite and hold his hands, he smiles a small smile.


 


                “Oh for crying out loud!  Would you stop with the pity party already!  All this shit, all of this is your doing!  No don’t you open a mouth on me!  Stop this craziness with the lawsuits and let Ben have his divorce!”  I snarl quietly at him.


 


                “But…”  He begins to whine.


 


                “No Michael just do it.  What’re you doing for Thanksgiving?”  I ask cutting across him.


 


                “Not sure spending it by myself I guess.”  He says quietly.  “Though I would like to see my Honeybun.”


 


I shake my head at him and sigh.


 


                “Have you spoken to her?”


 


                “I’ve tried but she doesn’t want to speak to me.  But Lindz says that…”


 


                “Debs can we order?”  Brian calls out.


 


I get up and head to the table.


 


                “What’ll it be boys?”  I paste on a smile but inside I am crying and screaming.


 


                “Get Michael.”  Brian says quietly.


 


                “What…”


 


                “Don’t make me say it again.” 


 


I gesture to Michael and he practically sprints to the booth.


 


                “I am going to say this one time.  Lunch and only lunch, once you finish eating you fuck off.  The only person who wants you there is ma and the only reason you are going to be there is because she didn’t ask.  You so much as breathe wrong…”


 


                “I understand.”  Michael beams.  “You’ll send a…”


 


JUSTIN


 


                “You’re starting to breathe wrong…”  I growl not looking at him.


 


                “All I was going to…”  He begins


 


                “Take a fucking cab dumbass!” 


 


 


                “Daphne!”  I scream

Chapter End Notes:

1 - I cannot wait to peel that off you

2 - I will hold you to that

3 - God give me strength