- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This is dedicated once more to Meriam Maaatje...enjoy my dear friend.

I have taken some legal liberties.

CHAPTER 43 – YEAH…YOU REALLY SHOULDN’T HAVE DONE THAT

 

LINDZ

 

                “Don’t be so fucking stupid Zee you can’t stop us from making a call!”  I repeat

 

                “Yes I can.”  She smiles coldly.

 

                “What are you omnipotent?”

 

                “No and nor do I have a God complex I leave those delusions to you…”

 

                “Ouch.”  Alice quips.

 

                “Try.”  Zee suggests smirking

 

                “Oh I’m not silly enough to come up against you physically…”

 

                “Shame it would be over quicker but be just as painful.”

 

                “I don’t have such a problem.”  Michael snarls.  “I’ve had it with you interfering in our lives!”

 

Everyone looks at him then back at Zee, who again smiles and then takes off her watch and hands it to Daphne.

 

                “Blood and cartilage is a bitch to remove from small crevices…”

 

                “Um Michael I don’t…”

 

                “No Lindsay she brags about a lot of shit let’s see her prove it…”

 

Zee steps into the driveway and gets within about a foot of Michael.

 

                “You sure, remember that you want this.  So let’s do it and Michael take two things; a good look at Jenny as she might be the last kid you will ever have and a good first swing…”

 

Michael looks at me and smirks before whirling round to punch her.  But Zee ducks down grabs his ankles and yanks them upwards, effectively slamming Michael on his back.  He ends up winded with Zee’s boot on his crotch.

 

                “What part of ‘good swing’ didn’t you get?”  She asks pressing down slightly.

 

                “You fucking bitch!”  He gasps out.  “You’ve most probably broken some ribs!”

 

                “Nope, you’re just winded.  It’s all about control Michael.  And as you have demonstrated, you don’t have any…ah-ah-ah, don’t move Manolo’s or not I shall stamp your dick into the driveway.  Now as I was saying, you’re not calling a cab from here.”

 

                “Holy fuck!”  Gus breathes.

 

                “You need to help him up Lindsay and start walking.” 

 

She tells me as she slowly steps back from him, keeping her eyes glued to him at all times.  I rush to help him up and dust him down.

 

                “And as I said you can’t stop us from calling a cab and that’s what I’m going to do.”

 

                “No you’re not because…”

 

                “Because what you’re going to take our phones away?”  I snap.

 

                “Phone, singular.  Michael’s is broken.  But no I don’t need to do that as I have a signal scrambler, one of the perks of the security services, is the little toys we get to play with.”

 

She pulls something out of her pocket and twirls it in her hand.

 

                “Allow me to demonstrate.”  She pushes a button.  “Right check your phones everyone, how many have a signal, there should be only two people.  Michael your phone is mostly over there, seems it hit one the urns.”

 

I look at my phone and sure enough no signal.

 

                “You owe me a new phone!”  He yells at her as I pick up the remains of his phone

 

                “So those with a signal put your hands up.” 

 

Only she and Faal raise their hands and he blows her a kiss.

 

                “And I can select a radius of many, many, many miles…for many, many, many minutes, days and hours.  If you don’t believe me, check everyone else’s phone…all it takes is for you to come closer.”

 

                “Michael can you walk without assistance?”  I ask him.

 

                “Are you kidding me its miles back to the road?”

 

                “What other choice to we have!”  I snap.  “Oh and Jennifer my parents will be dropping you as their realtor when I tell them about this!”

 

                “Like Michael’s phone I’m all broken up about that.”  She mocks.

 

                “You will be when nobody else will hire you.”

 

                “You should be worrying about what your parents are going to say to you considering daddy wasn’t happy to have to collect you from prison.  Remember Lindsay a WASP lockout works both ways!”

 

                “So we can take it you’re not coming to New York with us right?”  Justin calls out.

 

We both glare hatefully at him and start walking

 

                “See you Wednesday Lindsay.”  Brian calls out but I just ignore him.

 

CHARLES

 

I stare in awe at Zee who keeps her eyes on them as they make it down the drive.

 

                “Jesus Christ Zee, he could sue you for millions!”  Alice worries.  “Look what he did to me.”

 

                “Actually, no as he made it clear that he wanted the fight and attempted to hit her first it would be self-defence.”  I reassure her.  “And I have to admit that that was magnificent!”

 

                “I’ve sent Phil to keep an eye on them.” 

 

Vince tells us as we make our way back inside to the lounge.

 

                “Um Zee can we have signal back please?”  Jennifer asks.

 

                “Vince, babe, is there any chance that the smackdown was recorded?  If so do you think you could send Matt a copy?”  Daph asks smirking at Matt.

 

                “Sure.  Do I want to know why?”

 

                “Oh you run mom a close second in evil!”  Matt cackles

 

                “I know I do.  We hellcats have got this.”  She takes a sip of brandy and raises her glass to Zee.

 

                “Oh yeah signal, all done.  I feel sorry for them.”  Zee says having helped herself to brandy.

 

                “Sorry for them how can you feel sorry for them?”  Mel demands.

 

                “Those shoes are going to get so fucked up.”  She replies.

 

LINDSAY

 

We’ve been walking for ages and my feet are beginning to hurt.

 

                “Michael wait I need to take my shoes off!”

 

He stops and then starts waving frantically, thank God it’s a cab.  We sink into the seats and I massage my feet.

 

                “First thing we do when we get home is put a call into my family lawyer and get these papers checked out.”

 

                “And then a lawsuit for assault for that fucking bitch!”  He grumbles.

 

I hide the smirk behind my hair as I replay him flying up in the air and the dull thud of him landing in my mind.

 

                “How are your ribs and back?”

 

                “I wouldn’t be surprised if I was black and blue.  These papers Lindsay are they serious about them?”

 

                “I’m not sure let’s see what he says.  Oh great we must be out of her scrambler range I’ve got signal.  Hi Phil its Lindsay, you need to come to Shadyside today, well if it wasn’t important I wouldn’t be calling you would I?  Great, we’ll be there in about half an hour!”

 

I sit back and smile.  Let the battle commence Zee, you have no idea what you are up against.

 

BRITIN

 

LOUNGE

 

JUSTIN

 

                “Mom, will you be alright work wise?” 

 

                “Oh don’t worry about that, the Petersons aren’t as powerful as she thinks and she’s definitely not.”

 

                “Oh that reminds me.  Good afternoon, may I speak to Millicent Foster Brown please?  Yes its Zaden Stark, thank you.”

 

Mom’s eyes pop out of her head and she gapes at Zee.

 

                “Millicent, how are you, I’ve very well thank you.  Please accept my apologies for the delayed response to your email but I was conducting business out of state.  Faal and I would love to come to lunch with you on Monday, but could you possibly tell me what brought the invite about.  Yes I did, how did you find out about that?  Ah I see, well no our realtor handled the sale with the utmost discretion so I know it wouldn’t have come from her, oh that would be Jennifer Taylor, I almost lost out on it but her actions saved me from major disappointment and she got it for under $30K off of the asking price.  I can check with her but I’m sure she can do lunch too.  And since we’ve caused the delay, it’s on us.  No I insist; please just pick a place and we’ll meet you there, no tomorrow will be fine.  Look forward to it, bye Millicent.”

 

                “Oh my God, Millicent Foster Brown called you!”  Jennifer gasps.

 

                “Yep, and she wants to meet us for lunch so wear your best pearls.”

 

                “Okay what have we missed?”  I ask.

 

                “She’s the Queen of Pittsburgh, you get an in with her nobody will touch you.”  Jennifer frowns.  “Do you know what the lunch is about?”

 

                “Said she would tell us tomorrow but it is nothing bad said it could be beneficial to both of us.  And since she’s the queen then that closes off a few avenues for Lindsay right?   And as she hates me with a passion, combined with a thirst for revenge maybe she will do the one thing I’m hoping she will do to get back at me.”

 

                “Oh God.  I knew you were too quick to say yes to your Uncle.”  Faal groans.

 

                “You don’t think…”

 

                “Oh I hope so Brian I really hope so.” 

 

She smiles the same smile she had just before she put Michael on his ass

 

SHADYSIDE

 

LINDSAY

 

I am pacing waiting for Phil to turn up, Michael is moaning about his phone but seems to have recovered from his tussle with Zee.  Finally, I see him coming up the path and dash to the door.

 

                “What kept you?!”  I demand.

 

PHIL

 

                “My daughter was rather disappointed I had to leave her tea party early…”

 

                “So here is the paperwork we were laughingly served with today.  What can we refute, sling out or whatever the terminology is?”

 

No it’s fine, dealing with the tears of an upset six year old was great thanks for the sympathy.  I start to read through the paperwork and frown.

 

                “Okay let’s start with the easy things.  Mr Novotny are you willing to sign the dissolution papers?”

 

                “What happens if I do?”

 

                “As it says in the paperwork you will no longer be his father so no longer responsible for him in anyway shape or form…”

 

                “What about the college fund money I put aside for him?”

 

                “What college fund money, there is nothing mentioned here and it would be mandatory to have all assets provided by you to be listed.”

 

                “Well I didn’t exactly get the money but when I asked for a loan from my best friend he set that up.”

 

                “And are you paying him back for that?”

 

                “No they gifted it to him.”

 

I squeeze my eyes shut and sigh as I realise who he is, he’s that Novotny!

 

                “Unless you gave it to him you can’t take it back.”  I reply as calmly as I can.  “So can we just get this signed and witnessed by Lindsay and move on?”

 

He sighs petulantly but signs the papers as does she.

 

                “Next the defamation of character suit for Daphne Chanders, what evidence do you have to support your assertion?”

 

                “Well she made it clear that she was interested in him.”

 

                “And.”

 

                “And what?”

 

                “Do either of you have any proof to show that she did in fact act in the manner you claim?”

 

                “Well, Vince took me home before then…”

 

                “Yes and I was in bed with a headache but she was all over him.”  Lindsay adds

 

                “All over?  Just a minute, back up, Vince, the man who you claim she slept with, took you home how did that come about?  And when you say all over what do you mean exactly?”

 

                “He’s part of Brian’s staff.  He took me home because I didn’t call a cab, I thought it would give me more time there but he said he had ‘prepared for this’ and…”

 

                “You’re losing me, what does a cab have to do with this?”

 

He goes on to explain what happened with Lindsay adding her version of events.

 

                “I would settle out of court, as you really don’t want to be cross examined.” 

 

I tell them, although some people might want to watch for the amusement value I think to myself.

 

                “How much?”

 

                “For what she’s asking so the full $10,000 from both of you, I’m surprised he’s not suing you as well.  Now the other defamation of character papers in regards to David Cameron, how did that come about?”

 

Ten minutes in I want to cry tears of pity for his children if they inherited his brains.

 

                “Do you have any paperwork to support your claim that you didn’t ‘give’ him the money?”

 

He goes and gets them and I look from them to him and back again.

 

                “Who served you?”

 

                “Charles.”

 

                “Charles who?”

 

                “His partner.”

 

                “Mr Novotny things will go a lot quicker if we avoid the question ping pong.”

 

                “Charles Phelps-Gordon is David Cameron’s partner and he came over from Portland and served the papers today.  Oh and I want to do something about his kid who tricked me into buying stocks some years ago, well he didn’t exactly buy them but he said he was going to but didn’t just put the money in a high yield account and tried to give me the money back to apologise but I ripped up the check along with his apology.”

 

                “Settle, just settle.”  I tell him.  “And leave the kid alone, it will come across as bullying and pettiness especially as he made efforts at restitution and you rebuffed it.”

 

                “Now Lindsay the dissolution of your civil partnership on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour and infidelity can this be proven?”

 

                “No.”

 

                “Did you check the link?”

 

                “What link?”

 

At this point I can understand why there are bad lawyers in the world…well almost.

 

                “This link here, did you see what it lead to?”

 

                “No.”

 

                “Do you have a laptop so we can see?” 

 

For the next 10 minutes we watch the video and then I read the paperwork again, including the statement from her former lover.

 

                “Is any of this contestable?”

 

                “What you need to understand Phil is that…”

 

                “So no then.  Right the emancipation papers, these are going to be tricky.”

 

They both look at me.

 

                “It’s your word against theirs.” 

 

Silence.

 

                “The reasons for their requests are quite compelling.  Wait a minute…”

 

I grab my briefcase and go through some other papers.

 

                “So Lindsay when I asked you if any of the things in the breach of promise suit was true why did you answer no?”

 

                “Because it wasn’t, as far as I am concerned…”

 

                “But what you are concerned with is irrelevant did you actually read the paperwork they provided?”

 

                “As I said to daddy, I just threw the lot away, treated it like the garbage it is.”

 

                “Threw it away?”  I echo.  “As in put it in a bin or threw it away as in shredded it?”

 

                “Shredded it of course, I’m not stupid!”

 

It.takes.everything.

 

                “Okay let’s just stop right now.  Can either of you refute the statements that they have made as to why you are unsupportive parents?”

 

                “Yes.  We support them in every way, except when they do dangerous things like roller derby and now apparently dirt bike racing.”  Michael snipes

 

I feel like I am living the scene in Hannibal when he ate the guy’s brain whilst he was still alive.

 

                “Roller…no you misunderstand.  They have an extensive list of their grievances that you need to refute, I mean counter, and you need to counter each and every one can you do that?  Both of you?”

 

                “Yes.”  Lindsay says emphatically whilst he nods in agreement.

 

                “Right first I need proof of your support payments for Jenny from both of you.”

 

                “Why should I pay support, I was living with her.”  Lindsay asks.

 

                “But you are not her parent, well biologically I mean, so you would need to prove you provided support and…”

 

                “Here’s my support payments.”  Michael hands me some papers.

 

                “Why did you stop paying support?  And that reminds me, what about the petition for physical custody should I still go ahead with that?”

 

                “Oh absolutely, once this stupid emancipation one is thrown out.”  Lyndsay asserts

 

                “Okay, so for that I need you to provide me with evidence of your earnings, where they would live…”

 

                “I stopped because I was running out of money and I don’t have a job at the moment.”

 

                “And as for living arrangements, my parents have a property portfolio so we could pick a place from there.  And then of course there’s the support payments that his father makes…”

 

                “And the payments from Ben, he’s my ex-husband, we’ve got to factor them in as well.” 

 

                “Could live?  You need to provide evidence of where they will live and since you are seeking physical custody.  You couldn’t possibly live here.  And I would assume that the support payments from the father, your ex and your soon to be ex would stop unless court mandated.  So I need your proof of income…wait you don’t have a job at the moment and what do you mean you were running out of money?”

 

He goes on to tell me the history of the loan and seems to mistake the look of incredulity on my face as me being impressed, and then Lyndsay hits me with the fact that she has been removed from the home so can’t produce any documentation until such time as she gets her personal belongings back.

 

                “So living here is a short term thing?”

 

                “Oh yes, I lived in the Brownstone in the city before this all happened…and I fully intend to be living back there until this is settled, we may have to live on separate floors but so be it.”

 

                “When was the last time you saw your children, I mean apart from today?”

 

                “Why are you asking all these questions?”  She demands.

 

                “This is what their lawyer will ask so when was it?”  I tell her just keeping my temper in check

 

                “A few days ago, we had a little bit of a problem last weekend, which meant we couldn’t go outside for a few days.”

 

                “What was the problem, this is what the lawyer will ask, and during that time did you speak to your children?”

 

                “We were arrested for trespassing after going into the wrong garden by mistake, we tried to explain to the neighbour and the police but they wouldn’t listen and got covered in some coloured water that stained and we knew the kids were alright so we didn’t speak to them…”  He tells me

 

                “I tried to speak to Mel but she wouldn’t return my calls, wouldn’t answer the door to me or see me at her office.”  She adds

 

                “But you didn’t contact your children directly during this time?”

 

They shake their heads and I sigh.

 

                “What we’re going to do is put this on hold until you get your personal affects back or return to the Brownstone, then look at this again.  And I know I’m most likely going to regret this but I’m going to ask anyway…why haven’t you actively sought employment?”

 

                “I still have money left and…”

 

                “Which is not going to last forever.  You need to be gainfully employed Mr Novotny.  Now is there anything else because I need to get back to my family?”

 

                “I want to sue for assault and for a new phone.”

 

Why didn’t I just run when I had the chance, why did I ask that stupid fucking question!

 

                “Who are you suing and what evidence is there of the assault, like an arrest report, I take it your phone was damaged during this assault?”

 

                “Yes, Zee Ugerstacht assaulted me.”

 

                “Zee Ugerstacht?  Who’s that and witnesses?”

 

                “I was there I saw the whole thing, it was after we were thrown out of the ‘house’ of Justin Taylor and Michael finally had enough of her interference in our lives, it was she who put them up to this.”

 

                “Her and Boy Wonder.”  Michael snarks bitterly.

 

                “Boy Wonder?  Okay talk me through it.”

 

By the time they’ve finished I’m stunned.

 

                “No, just no.  You demanded a fight, you threw the first punch…in front of the family one of whom is a serving police officer.  Now I’m going home to my family, I shall speak to you on Monday Lyndsay…and this will be billed as double time.”

 

Before they can say anything I almost run out of the building. 

 

                “Phil!  Phil Mitcham?!”

 

My heart is lifted when I see Joshua Smalling waving at me and head over to him.

 

                “What are you doing in this neck of the woods, do you want to come in?”

 

                “Just visiting a client and if I could please so I can call a cab at least.”

 

He leads me back to his house and Carrie offers me a coffee, which I almost inhale.

 

                “Thanks.  Do you have a local cab company number?”

 

                “Here, you look very stressed out, never had you down for a working at the weekend type of guy anything I can help with?”

 

                “No, but thanks for the offer.  You ever had a client that is so demanding, entitled and stupid that you just want to throw them to the wolves?  And then write a dissertation on them to warn future lawyers?”

 

He nods knowingly

 

                “Well one of those interrupted my weekend and I’ve got to see them again on Wednesday, this is going to be a bad week I can tell.  But enough about work, how are you both and how’s little Sarah?”

 

BRITIN

 

BACK GARDEN

 

MEL

 

It smells so nice out here, or maybe it’s because I am finally free, everything is fucking done and I can breathe.

 

                “Penny for them?” 

 

I’m startled by the arrival of Leda but gladdened by the glass of brandy in her hand.

 

                “It’s over, well it’s the beginning of the end.”

 

                “Can I ask a really personal question?”

 

                “Why did I stay for so long?”

 

She nods.

 

                “Fear.  If I’m brutally honest with myself I was scared and as Alice would say too damn prideful.”

 

                “Don’t let Alice hear you use that word or she will recommend a punishment like she did with Justin.”

 

                “Huh?”

 

                “You don’t know about this?  Well cast your lawyer mind back, because I know you remember everything, to the time before Justin’s show at Uptown and Brian was stuck in Chicago.  He was all alone in here and had a bit of a meltdown so Alice told Brian that some people deserve a spanking for being so prideful and…”

 

                “Oh my goodness she didn’t!” 

 

                “Now do I tell Alice about you being prideful and get a punishment suggestion for you?”

 

                “You could but I will speak to Zee about ways of defending myself!”  I take a sip of brandy.

 

                “Wasn’t she awesome?  And notice that Debs didn’t do a thing to stop her.”

 

                “Mmm, though that side of Michael is a little worrisome, but plays into our hands I suppose.”

 

She nudges my shoulder.

 

                “There isn’t a judge in the world that would give them custody.”

 

                “There wasn’t supposed to be a judge that would give 500 hours community service for attempted murder and look what happened?”  I sigh sadly.

 

                “That was then…”

 

                “And it could still be now.”

 

SHADYSIDE – SUNDAY MORNING

 

MICHAEL

 

There’s a knocking on the door, I look across at the time and its seven forty five this had better be good!

 

                “Can I help you?”  I ask the man outside

 

                “Is a Lindsay Peterson here?”

 

                “Hold on.”

 

I close the door and knock on her room.

 

                “What is it Michael?  Who’s at the door?”

 

                “Someone for you?”

 

                “Did they look like a court official, I mean did they have an envelope?”

 

I shake my head and she follows me out.

 

                “Can I help you, I’m Lindsay Peterson.”

 

                “Delivery for you ma’am.  Okay boys unload it!”

 

Racks of clothes in suit bags and box after box comes in and she beams with excitement.

 

                “Duchene Deliveries, very glamorous, ooh this could be Brian’s Christmas present to me.”  She purrs

 

                “Sign here please.  Thanks have a nice day.”

 

                “Well what’s he got you Lindz?”

 

She unzips first suit bag and then tears open a box and her look of excitement is quickly replaced with one of fury.

 

                “Nothing.  These are my clothes, everything that I owned in the Brownstone.  Oh I can’t wait to speak with daddy on Tuesday!”

 

TREEHOUSE

 

ZEE

 

Okay I know I was a bitch to use Duchene to get her stuff delivered because she would think it was something else but she’s worked my last fucking nerve for the last fucking time…incremental torture is the name of the game here.

 

                “This is Zaden.  Oh hello Millicent, I’m very well thank you how about yourself?  That’s great. Have you settled on a place?   Oh marvellous I’ve always wanted to go there; what time, right we’ll see you there.”

 

I smile and scrunch my nose up at an eyebrow quirking Faal.

 

                “Hey Jen it’s Zee, just heard from Millicent, lunch is on for 1230, so get your best pearls and your game face on.”

 

THE TWISTED FRENCHMAN – MONDAY LUNCHTIME

 

ZEE

 

                “Good afternoon reservation for Millicent Foster Brown party of four.”

 

                “Of course follow me please?” 

 

We get to the table and there sits an elegantly attired Millicent Foster Brown fiddling with her glass of water, it would seem she’s a little sad and keeps checking her phone.

 

                “Zaden and Faal how lovely to meet you, you must be Jennifer?”

 

                “Likewise and yes this is Jennifer Taylor.  Have you ordered anything to drink?”  I ask.

 

She shakes her head and sighs.

 

                “Is everything okay Millicent, if you would rather we reschedule we’re happy to do that?”

 

                “Uh would you..?  No, no let’s continue whilst we are here.  It’s silly.”  She protests

 

                “Millicent.”  Faal reaches across and takes her hand startling her in the process.

 

Tears start to form in her eyes, okay this is not what I was expecting. 

 

                “My dog is sick and I’m waiting to hear from the vets, they think it might be cancer.”

 

                “Oh I’m sorry to hear that.  That’s it, we’re done here, as you’re not in the right frame of mind.  Excuse me waitress is there a bill for this table?  Okay, unfortunately, we are having to leave due to a family emergency.  Hopefully, we will be back soon.”  I tell her.

 

                “Wait my lig, Millicent, please come with us I know just what you need.”

 

TREEHOUSE

 

MILLICENT

 

“This place is incredible and you built it Zaden?”

 

“Well designed it but did do the picture windows.  Red or white?”

 

“Oh it’s too…”  I start but then she smiles and pulls down four glasses and waits.  “Okay red please.  Wait, the picture windows, you mean you do glass blowing?”  I’m incredulous.

 

I have heard about her from a financial point of view but know nothing of her personally, I was surprised when Sydney mentioned he knew her very well and she catered his retirement party at the Clayton.  Her knowing Jennifer Taylor is also a surprise but a good one as the property in Squirrel Hill is gorgeous and we all know what a gossip Bernadine is and she would’ve lorded it all over us if she knew who bought her house.

 

                “Millicent, meet Storm and Claude.”  I turn round to Faal and almost burst into tears.  “Oh they are gorgeous, how old are they?!”

 

                “Just over four months, okay they’re not dogs but they are very affectionate and love to snuggle, so have a loveseat seat and get yourself some pussy loving.” 

 

                “Faal!”  Jennifer gasps but is starting to smile

 

                “What she knew what I meant, it was your filthy mind that went there wouldn’t you agree Millicent?”

 

I can’t help it but I burst out laughing and it takes a few minutes for me to collect myself.

 

                “I needed that thank you.  Is that my phone?”  

 

Jennifer hands it to me quickly and it’s the vet, I bite my lip and sniffle as he tells me my little Duke is going to be just fine.

 

                “Good news tears I hope?”  Jennifer asks.

 

                “Yes he’s going to be fine, just an infection that will be cleared up with antibiotics.  So relieved.  Now the reason for the lunch.  You and I have a mutual friend and I wouldn’t say enemy but would say pest in common who is vying for something that I want in Lawrenceville and she is hellbent on acquiring it, but she doesn’t know that I want it too”

 

                “So who’s who in this nest?”  Faal asks.

 

                “Faal!”  Jennifer hisses

 

I have to smile at his bluntness and chuckle when Zee cuffs his ear and he pokes his tongue out.

 

                “Sydney Bloom and Nancy Peterson respectively, she was after Squirrel Hill for ages and for you to sweep in and take it like that was impressive, she didn’t take that well.  She heard from…”

 

                “Her daughter Lyndsay by any chance?”  Jennifer asks me.

 

                “Oh yes that little madam, if ever there was a person who should’ve been told no more as a child it’s her, well her and her sister but at least Lynette has the decency to not stomp about like she owed something.”

 

                “So Lawrenceville which property is it, not the McHaigh Estate?”

 

                “The one and the same, now I know you can’t tell me exactly how close she is but can you give me a rough idea of what she’s bidding.”

 

                “Oh you noticed that in Lyndsay did you?  As for McHaigh she’s nowhere near, but she’s no longer my concern as I’ve upset Lyndsay and she will make her drop me as their realtor.”

 

                “Really?  So say by this time tomorrow, you could represent, say me and look after my property portfolio instead?”  I ask.

 

There is a stunned silence.

 

                “Are you serious?”  Zaden asks.  “I mean it if this is a WASP thing to fuck her over I will not be happy!”

 

                “Zee for heaven sake!”  Jennifer protests

 

                “What I protect my own and will have no problem…”

 

                “Calm yourself Zee, may I call you Zee, I have no intention of fucking Jennifer over.  I want the McHaigh Estate and this is the lady to get it for me.   But if it is reassurance you want, then the moment Jennifer feels slighted then you can come after me with everything you’ve got.  How about that?”

 

                “I own a security company and we have guns you might want to rethink that offer.”  She grins at me.  “You have a deal Millie, if I’m Zee to you then you’re Millie to me.   Now how about we finish off the wine, open another bottle and we order from…”

 

                “Nakama.”  Faal and Jennifer say at the same time.

 

                “OFO!”  She grunts at them.

 

                “OFO?  Oh-oh I see.”

 

                “So you like lobster?”  Faal ask.

 

                “I’m a WASP what kind of a question is that?”

 

PETERSON RESIDENCE – TUESDAY MORNING

 

RONALD

 

                “So let me understand this, you want us to drop Jennifer Taylor as our realtor because of an issue in your private life?”

 

                “Yes, she’s siding with Melanie in a personal issue and…”

 

                “What issue?”

 

                “As I said daddy it’s personal between Melanie and I but Jennifer has interfered…”

 

                “Okay darling, we will do, nobody hurts a Peterson and gets away with it.  Now the other issue you had that you needed Phil for how is that going?”

 

                “Oh he expects that to be thrown out tomorrow at the preliminary hearing.”

 

I frown at her.

 

                “Preliminary hearing?  I thought this was a spurious action that’s what you said.”

 

                “It is daddy, this is just to get it thrown out once and for all.”

 

                “Okay darling, what time is the hearing?  Oh actually, the Twisted Frenchman is near there we can grab a late lunch or even better an early dinner.”

 

She grins and throws her arms round me.

 

                “Now let me make a call.  Jennifer its Ronald Peterson, some disturbing news has reached my ears.”

 

JENNIFER TAYLOR REALTORS

 

MILLIE

 

                “Well?”

 

                “Bear with me.  Hello, my name is Jennifer Taylor of Jennifer Taylor Realtors I represent Millicent Foster Brown and she is interested in purchasing your property.  Yes I’m aware of the current bidding process but as I said I represent Millicent Foster Brown who is willing to pay the full asking price immediately.  Yes sight unseen, though I have shown her the structural reports.  What would it take for this to be locked down and taken off the market?  Ah I see.  Let me confer with her and call you back, can you give me an hour of verbal lockdown time meaning you don’t speak to anyone else?  Thank you, I’ll call you within the hour.”

 

Millie looks askanced.

 

                “What did you do that for, we can just pay now?”

 

                “Trust me, just wait.  Now what say we go and have a coffee?”

 

Thirty minutes later her phone has been ringing on and off and she keeps putting it to voicemail with a smirk. 

 

                “I think that’s time enough, let’s go back.”

 

                “Hello Mr McHaigh.  Yes I’ve spoken to her and those terms are acceptable, so could you send the papers across now and we’ll sign off.”

 

Ten minutes later I have it and Jennifer signs a contract to look after my entire property portfolio from start to finish.

 

                “Now what say we celebrate?  I think a lunch tomorrow is doable, will that work for you?”

 

                “It might have to be an early dinner, I have to be in court, nothing to do with me just for moral support.”

 

                “That’s fine, I’ll book from say four?  And I will bring my husband and a few people I think it might be in your interest to meet.”

 

PETERSON RESIDENCE

 

NANCY

 

                “You did what?  Why on earth would you fire Jennifer without talking to me first?”

 

                “She hurt Lyndsay and…”

 

                “Ronald at the risk of sounding obvious, you answer to me about this not your daughter.  Despite her opinions.  This had better not backfire on us you know, but at least you’ve saved us commission as we can go to McHaigh directly.  It’s a shame really as Jennifer was very good.”

 

BROWNSTONE

 

LINDSAY

 

I make my way up the path and glower at the neighbour who had us arrested as he comes out of his home.

 

                “She’s not there.”  He tells me.

 

                “I would rather see for myself thank you.”

 

I can hear someone is in and lean on the doorbell, finally the door is opened by Matt.

 

                “What do you want?”

 

                “To speak to Mel.”

 

                “She’s not here…”

 

                “Told you.”  The neighbour says.

 

                “Don’t you have something else to do other than interfere in other people’s business?”  I fume.

 

                “So Matt what time should we send them round and what time is it going to finish?”

 

                “Around nine and should be done latest by one.  Luckily I can just pour him over the fence if needs be at least you won’t turn the sprinklers on your son.  We’ll try and keep it down.”

 

As I turn to say something he shuts the door in my face.

 

                “What’s going on?”  I demand.

 

                “House warming party.  Should be good for the kids.”  Mattias replies smugly.

 

                “We’ve been here since December why throw a party now?”  I rail.

 

                “Because this is his house now.  Mel, Gus and Jenny have moved out.”

 

                “Moved…”

 

                “Aren’t you glad I interfered now or you would never have known…and might have got another dousing as you didn’t have the wherewithal to count the buildings back from the road the last time so I assume you would repeat your mistake?  Since your repeated visits without entry don’t seem to be getting through to you…excuse me.”

 

I stand there in shock, but that is soon replaced by anger.  I know exactly where they have gone and make my way back to Shadyside, once I get there I decide against going to Britin to see them this evening, this will count in my favour with the physical custody, she’s keeping my children from me. 

 

COURT 6 ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE – WEDNESDAY LUNCHTIME

 

USHER

 

                “All rise for Judge Meriam Maatje presiding over the case of Emily Mitchell vs Lindsay Peterson.”

 

JUDGE MERIAM MAATJE

 

                “Thank you, please sit.  This is a preliminary hearing to decide whether or not that this should go to full trial.  Are all parties in attendance?”

 

                “Yes your honour.” 

 

                “Fine, Mr White you may proceed.”

 

                “Your honour in front of you, you have documentation showing that Lyndsay Peterson had made a verbal and written promise to persuade her friend Brian Kinney to be the father of Emily Mitchell’s baby…”

 

There is a noise from the defence table.

 

                “Is there a problem Mr Mitcham?”

 

                “No your honour, apologies, frog in her throat.”

 

                “I suggest a glass of water.  Continue Mr White.”

 

                “Knowing she only had the one chance to become a mother.  She made this promise of her own free will without any persuasion or coercion from Ms Mitchell, who admittedly had expressed an interest in Brian Kinney being the father but had not approached him directly.”

 

                “Objection.”

 

                “On what grounds?”

 

                “Speculation.”

 

                “Explain that to me.”

 

                “There is nothing to indicate that this was in fact that case…”

 

                “And there is nothing to indicate that it wasn’t.  Overruled.  Continue.”

 

                “Thank you.  Ms Mitchell had at Ms Peterson’s requests provided cash to Ms Peterson to take Mr Brian Kinney out for dinners and such to persuade him to come round to the idea and…”

 

                “Objection, there is no evidence to support that.”

 

                “I shall come to that in a minute your honour.”

 

                “Make it a quick minute.  Overruled.  Barely.”

 

                “Although she did not use that for the purpose it was intended.  I have a sworn statement from Brian Kinney, page 17 of the documentation, to say and I quote ‘Lindsay has never taken me for a dinner I haven’t paid for’.”

 

I struggle to hide my smile at that one.

 

                “Your honour?”

 

I look up in surprise as the defendant appears to be speaking directly to me.

 

                “Mr Mitcham why is your client speaking?”

 

                “She’s not au fait with rules and protocol of the court.  Lindsay please stop and wait until you are asked to speak.”

 

                “But…”

 

                “Wait until you are asked to speak.”  He admonishes

 

                “Continue Mr White, without any further interruption that isn’t from me, the usher of this court or counsel.”

 

                “To continue.   She gave Ms Mitchell hope that she was trying to persuade Mr Kinney to become the father to her child when in fact she was persuading him to become the father to her child, hereinafter referred to as Gus Marcus Kinney, originally referred to in previous submission as Gus Marcus Peterson.”

 

                “Why has the name of the child been changed?”  I ask.

 

                “There is a separate issue pertaining to that, which has no reflection on this case.”  Mitcham states.

 

                “As the judge, I will make that decision.  The name change?”

 

                “Papers have been submitted for emancipation by Gus Marcus Kinney from Lyndsay Peterson, but this was a retaliatory act brought about by undue external influences after Ms Peterson applied for physical custody of him.”  Mitcham explains.

 

                “Let me be clear, there is an emancipation case and a physical custody case?  Interesting.”

 

                “And who submitted on behalf of Gus Marcus Kinney?”

 

                “His father Brian Kinney as he’s a minor.”

 

                “Why didn’t his other legal parent, I believe a Melanie Marcus submit on his behalf?  Or why not wait till he’s 18 so as to avoid all this legality.”

 

                “Your honour with all due respect we are getting a little off track here, this is a breach of promise trial the emancipation and physical custody cases are not relevant.”

 

I sit back in my seat and think whilst he might be right, this is Adam White in front of me and I know his reputation.

 

                “Mr Mitcham, why didn’t she submit or he didn’t wait?”

 

                “I’m not sure.”

 

                “Because she’s under the power of…”

 

                “Ms Peterson, you are neither me, the usher nor counsel so be quiet, the next interruption will have you removed from my court”

 

She sits back down huffily and glares at me and I unblinkingly glare back until she is forced to look away by a swift jab by Mitcham.

 

                “Well I suggest you find out in time for the hearing in that particular case.  Continue Mr White.”

 

                “Thank you, your honour.  Ms Peterson then went on to tell Ms Mitchell that Mr Kinney would not be willing to father her child because he told her that the ‘only person he would want to have a kid with is you’ when in fact he had never been asked by Ms Peterson to father Ms Mitchell’s child.”

 

                “Mr White, how and when did your client find out about Ms Peterson’s pregnancy?”

 

                “She and Ms Mitchell lost touch and it wasn’t until after the child was born that Ms Mitchell found out, she was invited to the baby shower.  And the Bris.  In fact that only time she socialised with Ms Mitchell was specifically to do with her child.”

 

I see Mr Mitcham look across at his client and they have a quick discussion, seems he didn’t know that.

 

                “Is that all your submission Mr White?”

 

                “Yes your honour.”

 

                “Thank you.  Mr Mitcham.”

 

                “Your honour.  My client refutes each and every accusation in this spurious action…”

 

After about a minute of silence I have to prompt him.

 

                “Why Mr Mitcham?”

 

                “Because we feel that this is a case of simple jealousy on behalf of Ms Mitchell who resents the life that Ms Peterson has built for herself.  She feels that...”

 

                “Objection.  Ms Mitchell is much more successful both financially and in her personal life that Ms Peterson was then and is now.”

 

                “Your honour that is patently not true as…”

 

                “Your honour, Ms Peterson has been issued dissolution papers for her civil partnership and as the court has already heard her son wishes to be emancipated from her.  Ms Mitchell’s relationship is solid with no infidelity and she has a strong family base, something that can’t be said for Ms Peterson.”

 

                “Sustained.”

 

He shifts his papers about and she grits her teeth.

 

                “As I was saying.  This breach of promise is too archaic to be seen in a modern court of law and therefore…”

 

                “Objection.  The wording is archaic the action is not.”

 

                “Sustained.”

 

                “It would be detrimental to all concerned if this was dragged through the courts, especially to the child.  I would seek that this spurious action be dismissed.”

 

I take a breath and look through the paperwork and sigh.

 

                “Having reviewed the documentation on both sides, I feel it would not be in the best interest of anybody if this went to full trial.”

 

There is no reaction from Adam White, but she looks smugly across at Ms Mitchell who sighs.

 

                “But only because there is a child involved who should not be subject to the lurid details of his conception being in the news.  I understand Mr White that you offered to settle out of court with a written apology?  Why was this offer not accepted Mr Mitcham?”

 

And judging by the look on his face it seems he didn’t know about that either.

 

                “My, my client didn’t feel she had done anything to apologise for apart from in her words do something that Ms Mitchell is incapable of and that’s not her fault.”

 

Ouch!

 

                “I see.  In ordinary circumstances I wouldn’t do this but the courts here have enough to deal without this coming across the desk.  Mr White would your client be happy to put the out of settlement offer back on the table?”

 

                “But I…”  Ms Peterson begins once more.

 

                “Bailiff please remove Ms Peterson from this court.”

 

                “Ma’am please stand and follow me, quietly.”

 

She slowly stands and casting another filthy look at me and storms out.

 

                “As I was saying, would your client be amenable to that?”

 

They confer and she nods and he hands the offer over to him.

 

                “Mr Mitcham you have 15 minutes to confer with your client, I would strongly advise that she settles because if she doesn’t, I won’t be so patient with her.”

 

USHER

 

                “Court is in recess, please rise.”

 

PHIL

 

I find Lyndsay and it takes everything not to drag her to a room by her hair.

 

                “Why didn’t you tell me about the offer?!”  I storm

 

                “Like you said I’ve done nothing wrong so I ignored it.”

 

                “But I should still have been told about it!  And you’ve not endeared yourself to the judge or to be honest to me, you made me look like a fool out there!  Now I think you should settle…”

 

                “No I don’t want to…”

 

                “Listen to me Ms Peterson, you’re coming across as spoilt and unsympathetic.  Judge Maatje has already had you removed from the court and I cannot and will not risk my reputation live in court because you think you can do what you please.  I suggest you settle or find another lawyer!  You have five minutes to make up your mind!”

 

                “What do you mean live in court?”

 

                “Well the press are always there especially for an Adam White trial.”

 

                “So this would become public knowledge?”

 

                “Of course and he will use everything in his arsenal to prove his case and this infidelity, was the Canada affair the only one?”

 

                “Well Mel and I both had affairs during our relationship and…”

 

                “Mel is not on trial here.  Your previous affair who was it with?”

 

                “It wasn’t an affair as such it was a mild flirtation that involved…”

 

                “Who was it?!”  I have reached the end of my rope.

 

                “Samuel Auerbach.  But we only slept together once.”

 

Before I could say anything the usher knocks on the door.

 

COURT 6

 

USHER

 

                “All rise.”

 

JUDGE MERIAM MAATJE

 

                “Mr Mitcham have you and your client come to a decision?”

 

                “Yes your honour.  Would it be possible for my client to return to the courtroom?”

 

                “Return Ms Peterson please.”

 

She comes back looking a lot less cocky and a lot sourer than she did earlier.

 

                “And what have you decided to do?”

 

                “We have decided to accept the settlement offer on the proviso that proceedings…”

 

                “Proviso?”

 

                “Apologies your honour, with the request that these proceedings remain sealed as you have pointed out it is not in the public interest and would cause undue distress.”

 

                “Hmm.  It is so ordered, but if this is not settled within 2 weeks of this date it will go to trial.  Agreed?”

 

                “Agreed your honour thank you.” 

 

                “Agreed Mr White?”

 

                “Agreed.”

 

                “Court is adjourned.”

 

                “All rise.”

 

Part of me is relieved that is over and I don’t have to see her again, well I hope not, but another part wishes that we did go to trial so I could have the supreme joy of throwing her in jail for contempt of court.

 

LINDSAY

 

                “So now what happens?”

 

                “You get out your best pen and paper and write the letter and then speak to daddy about the settlement, oh and my bill.  Goodbye Ms Peterson.”

 

I watch him storm away and it is then I notice Brian sitting quietly in the back with Jennifer and Justin, I stalk towards them ready to give them a piece of my mind but he beats me to it.

 

                “I could’ve done both you know.  But you had to make it about you and only you, I can’t believe you were that cruel.”  He rebukes me quietly.

 

                “You wouldn’t have wanted two children.”  I tell him.

 

                “Unless it was with you or Mel, you wanted me to impregnate her remember?”

 

                “That was different we already had Gus.”

 

                “You really don’t see that you’ve done something so hurtful do you?”  Justin exclaims quietly.

 

                “No, I really don’t but I am doing Gus a favour and settling this so he doesn’t have to read the…”

 

                “Oh bullshit!  Phil threatened to walk if you didn’t settle.”  Adam’s voice startles me.

 

I close my mouth and feel the heat dousing my face.

 

                “We look forward to receiving your letter Ms Peterson.  Now Emily, go call Francine, I have a hearing in 30 minutes, well done.”

 

He leads her out without a backward glance.

 

                “Right I have a meeting too, so I have to run.  Where are we this weekend?  No matter I’ll ask Debs.  We have got to nail down the guest list for the wedding, this weekend without fail.  See you later.”

 

                “Oh Jennifer, sorry about my parents dropping you but you understand of course.”

 

She snorts and just walks away.

 

                “Before you go Brian, I want to see Mel and the children, so I will be over on Friday evening.”

 

                “They’re not a Britin Lindsay.”  Justin tells me.

 

                “Oh come on where else would they be.  Oh of course with her new best friend and confidant, I will call her later then.”

 

I turn heel and walk away from them.

 

BRIAN

 

                “You do know she thinks that they are with Zee right?”

 

                “Oh dear.  I would love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation.”

 

TWISTED FRENCHMAN

 

NANCY

 

Oh this is a nice place.  I’ve heard nothing but good things about it.

 

                “So what made you pick here Ronald?”

 

                “Can’t I treat my wife and daughter to an early dinner without it being questioned?”

 

                “No of course not.  Oh here’s Lindsay now.  Wait isn’t that Millicent Foster Brown over there?”

 

He looks across and nods going back to reading the menu.

 

                “Hi darling, how was your meeting?”  He asks.

 

                “Productive, everything is sorted out.”  She smiles at him

 

What meeting?

 

                “Before you sit down let’s go say hello to Millicent since she’s just over there.”

 

                “Of course mother.”

 

As we head to the table, the dining companions are impressive as well as Millicent, there’s her husband Harold, Diane and Patrick Smethwick and Carolyn Porter Brown, a veritable who’s who in society.

 

                “Millicent good afternoon, hello everyone, hope you are all doing well?  You remember my daughter Lindsay don’t you?”

 

They all nod and smile.

 

                “Ah here’s one of our guests, just another two to come.  Excuse me a moment Nancy.  Jennifer how lovely to see you again.  I hope you’re well, everyone this is Jennifer Taylor, I’ll make the formal introductions in a when everyone else arrives but this is the woman who got me the McHaigh Estate yesterday afternoon and normally I don’t discuss numbers but it was under the asking price as well.”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review constructively and kindly.  Thank you.