- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The correct version of this chapter.  The only thing that has changed is the Emily part with the will reading.  Not sure what I was thinking when I posted it the first time...anyway this is the correct one.

CHAPTER 47 – YO IDIOTS DON’T ANNOY A JUDGE, LAWYER’S WIFE, BOSS OR THE WASP QUEEN

 

TED

 

                “How can you be so sure?”  Mel starts to pace.

 

                “Because I got Michael audited and to this day he doesn’t know, and he was someone I actually thought was hot.  So what do you think I have done to someone I don’t and have never liked who has fucked over two very dear friends of mine?”

 

I scoop up some more tartare and sigh happily and silently acknowledge Brian’s small tilt of his glass in my direction with my own.

 

                “You never liked Lindz?”  Mel is so surprised she stops pacing.

 

                “Nope, she always looked sideways at me and especially after I got back with Blake.  I mean I can understand it from the point of view of what I did the college fund but she seemed to forgive me but then had that ‘you are something I’ve stepped in look’ when she thought no-one was looking.”

 

                “Wait you got my son audited?”  Debs is in awe.

 

                “Yes and then after he got the Rage residuals I let them know and they whipped that away from him very quickly.”

 

                “What Rage residuals?”  She’s glowering now.

 

                “Didn’t he tell?  Okay seems he didn’t.  When they finally closed up the accounting for Rage we both got some money from it, he was going to use that money to go to New York but…” 

 

Justin replies warily.  At first Debs is speechless and then starts to laugh.

 

                “Oh I’m so very glad I’ve done what I’ve done.”  She chortles

 

                “Which is what Red?”

 

                “When the bill first came in he came to me saying he would need help with Jenny’s support and I agreed to use $15000 of our tax rebate to help him…”

 

                “You did what?!”  Carl shouts.  “Red you and I need to have a private talk!”  He heads to the door.

 

                “No we don’t!  I agreed to send him money on a monthly basis on the proviso that he got Jenny a key to his place and the monthly payment is one penny, starting from the end of March.”

 

                “A penny?”  Martha looks bewildered.  “Why would you help him at all?” 

 

                “To get him to stop bothering me, he would have kept pestering and pestering, so I let him think he had his own way once more he doesn’t know the amount I’m giving him.  There was no way, no way Carl, he was getting more than that.”

 

                “Why not tell me when you did it then?”  Carl kisses her temple.

 

                “Because he will tell you…and I wanted your reaction to it to be like this and then I would hit him with how much I was sending him.  But when he does remember and trust me he will, you can tell him.  In fact it will be better coming from you.”  She replies.

 

                “Back to Canada.  How can you stop Lindsay from returning?”

 

                “We can’t…but like I said worry not.  All will be revealed when it needs to be dear Steve when it needs to be.”

 

                “Audited…seriously?”  Leda murmurs

 

                “Yes a dear friend of mine called Tobias Schenk…and you’re welcome!”  I smile at her

 

                “What do you mean?” 

 

                “Well when I was making sure that Mel was secure I found the submissions from when you two were together and called in a favour.”

 

                “I bow down!”  Mel chuckles.  “No seriously bowing down!”

 

                “Want me to get it Zee?”  Hugo calls out when the phone rings.

 

She nods from the stove where she has finally regained control of her kitchen and is happily doing the bisque.

 

                “Uh Zee there is a very angry screaming lady who I can’t understand on the phone says her name is Mil or something?”

 

Zee reaches up and punches the kitchen line.

 

                “This is Zee…?”

 

ZEE

 

                “Zee its Millie!”

 

                “Hang on, everyone shush!  Millie you okay?”

 

                “No I am not okay, I am fucking furious.  Hush Harold it is my house and I can swear if I want to.  Is Jennifer there?!”

 

                “Yes I’m here, what’s happened?”

 

                “Well I’ve just got off the phone with Gretchen.  When she told me what happened last weekend to reduce her to tears that was bad enough.  But for them to turn up at her house after her father had the temerity to give out his personal address in such a blasé fashion that is the limit!  I will not have this Jennifer, I will not!  Now is there anything I can do?”

 

We’re all looking at Jennifer who is looking a cross between surprised and furious.

 

                “Uh Millie, its Zee who the hell are you talking about?!”

 

There is a deep breath and after a minute or two she clears her throat.

 

                “I’m sorry Zee and anyone else that is listening.  Lindsay and someone called Michael turned up at Callie’s house today and interrupted her time with her father again…”

 

                “Who’s her father?”  Faal asks absentmindedly having been tasting the bisque

 

                “Philip Mitcham.”  Millie replies impatiently.

 

                “Who’s Philip Mitcham and who’s Callie?” Ben queries

 

                “Lindsay and Michael’s lawyer.  And Callie is my goddaughter.”  Millie replies somewhat calmer

 

The grins that appear on Brian and Justin’s faces are instant and the smile on Jennifer’s face deepens.

 

                “I need to take the rest of this call in private.  Millie I’ll call you back in a couple of minutes.  Now you two.”  She looks at Brian and Justin.  “Don’t ask me just let me handle this okay?”  They nod.

 

                “Uh Jennifer…”  Tucker begins.

 

                “Darling I’ll explain later.  Hello Millie…”

 

COURTYARD HOTEL SUITE

 

MICHAEL

 

                “Lindsay your phone is ringing shall I get it?”

 

                “Who does it say it is?”

 

                “Bloom Bitch?”

 

                “Oh let that go to voicemail.  Shall we order room service or go down to the restaurant?”

 

                “Room service definitely, I just want to slump in front of the TV for the rest of the day.  Tomorrow we try the Treehouse again but this time slightly earlier.”

 

TREEHOUSE – LATE EVENING

 

FAAL

 

I think I have died and gone to heaven.  Apart from the fact my parents are here, which I still can’t believe, and they bought our blessing wine for this year.  Papa was so cross when he heard about that.  He actually bought a case for us to share with the family…from before we were married…so one went to each home apart from Ted and Blake’s of course but he got them some wonderful cordials instead.

 

I have eaten enough to stuff a baby rhino.  And despite his constant refrain of not eating carbs after seven, it was funny to watch Brian and Justin get into a fork fight over the dessert, which Brian won by whispering in Justin’s ear which stunned him so much that he was able to snag the last piece.  And then Justin and papa had a square off as how much of the remaining dessert he was able to take.  In the end Zee gave Alice the recipe and he made her promise to make it before the end of the week.

 

The house is nice and quiet, Matt and Hunter have taken them to the Brownstone at Zee’s behest, when I asked her why she said that there was a good chance that the idiots would come over tomorrow and she wanted to make their holiday as pleasant as possible.  They are going to Britin tomorrow because they want to discuss the honeymoon with them and wanted to do that in private; at least Justin will find out why he won’t be cooking.

 

Zee is dozing with Claude on her hip; I will never understand animals you get them the best possible thing to sleep on and still they sleep on you, it didn’t take long for them to wheedle their way into the bedroom.

 

                “You okay?”  She mumbles sleepily

 

                “Yes, shall we go up?”  I brush my fingers through her hair

 

                “Mmm, oh reconnect the bell please?  Claude up.”

 

She stands and stretches and rubs her face tiredly.

 

                “Need drops.  Eyes are itching like fuck.”  She grumbles after a huge yawn.

 

                “Why am I reconnecting the bell again, we can just a nice quiet day after today.”

 

                “Good point leave it off.  Justin is so easy.”

 

                “He is why?”  I ask as we head upstairs and she smiles tiredly at me.

 

                “He said milking time to get the last piece.”

 

                “Mil…oh!”

 

EMILY & FRANCINE’S – SUNDAY MORNING

 

EMILY

 

Adam called me just now to find out how the will reading went, it wasn’t too bad, he left what I thought he would leave to who I thought he would but it’s what he left us that surprised us.   He left us one wish that we should have the courage to try to go for a child not think about the way Lindsay behaved. 

 

It wasn’t her yearly invites, yes hers never from Mel, although we didn’t go after the bris but still she kept inviting us.   It was the little asides when we were in social situations, not noticeable to anyone else but us.  How lovely a father Brian is.  How he provides for her and Gus.  The family Christmas card.  But Francine is convinced that it was and maybe is a parental jealousy thing, mine are accepting of me and Francine hers not so much…so she saw an opportunity and took it but then she lied and lied until she got pregnant before dropping off the face of the earth and then popping up with Gus.

 

                “Well what do you think?”  I hedge.

 

                “What harm can it do to investigate, we don’t have to go for a baby as such…”

 

                “Okay let’s honour his wish, but I’m so fucking scared, one of our ‘sisters’ did this to me.”

 

                “The world has changed and it’s not run by them so much.”

 

                “Oh God I hope so.”

 

COURTYARD HOTEL SUITE

 

LINDZ

 

This is the third time she’s phoned me why not take the fucking hint that I don’t want to talk to you, oh wait ah yes Bloom is now back open and rumour has it that some more of the Stark collection has come in. 

 

                “Lindsay Peterson speaking.  Oh hello Lydia, what can I do for you?  Yes I’m available tomorrow for a meeting, what time, right I’ll see you then.”

 

Michael looks up from his comic.

 

                “What was that about?”

 

                “Someone realising that they need me.”  I boast.

 

                “So what time are we going to the Treehouse?” 

 

                “We’re not.  I don’t feel like dealing with them today.  I need to prepare for tomorrow and I want to look my absolute best when she grovels.”

 

CHARLES & DAVID’S – LUNCHTIME

 

HANK

 

I spoke to Jenny last night, I still can’t believe where we are!  My room is so cool and the fact that we’re opposite Uncle Josh and Aunt Carrie is awesome.  Jenny should be here soon with her mom, Leda and the dogs, we’re going to take them for a walk before lunch.

 

                “Hank, Jenny’s here and I think you are going to love Butch and Sundance.”  Dad calls up.

 

I take a deep breath and check my outfit, not too geeky or overblown.

 

                “Stop mirror checking and get down here!”  Jenny hollers.  “As long as it’s not a suit and tie its fine!”

 

I snort with laughter and make my way downstairs and stop and stare.

 

                “Yeah that look is not for me.  Aren’t they awesome, the one with the red collar is Butch and blue is Sundance; so are we walking them or not?”

 

Taking Sundance we head out.

 

                “Lunch will be at two.  See you later.”

 

                “Bye everyone.”

 

DAVID

 

                “Oh that look was definitely for her.”

 

                “Uh huh!”  Leda said as she and Mel fist bumped.

 

After about 90 minutes they come back, holding hands and we all pretend not to notice that the goofy grins on their faces.

 

ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE – MONDAY MORNING

 

PHIL

 

Whoo hoo a postponement, life is good, well life would be better if I didn’t have to deal with the Petersons and Novotny but you can’t have everything, I can’t wait for them to be out of my life.  I’m definitely cancelling their retainer it was a huge breach of confidence and privacy for him to do that. 

 

                “Mr Mitcham, Mr Mitcham a word please?”

 

I turn and am surprised to find Judge Maatje’s court assistant trotting quickly to catch up with me.

 

                “I’m sorry to hold you up but there’s been a change in her schedule and we need to pull your settlement hearing to this week?  Can you advise your client, are you available on tomorrow in the afternoon at two or three thirty?”

 

I look at my schedule and I can do both.

 

                “Let’s go for three thirty.”

 

                “Thank you enjoy the rest of your day.”

 

                “Thanks you too.”

 

I wonder what brought that about but at least it gets one less Peterson thing to deal with.

 

                “Malory, its Phil.  How’s it been?  Ah I thought they might call what time did you put them in for?  Oh right can you move them to tomorrow at two as we’ve got her settlement hearing at three thirty make sure she knows why – I know I don’t have to tell you but record every conversation you have with them and set up a recording for the meeting…sorry, yes sorry I know but they get me in such a knot I don’t want an out for them.  Also we’ve got a postponement on the Raft trial but I’m going to work from home so get me on my home office number in about thirty minutes.”

 

BLOOM GALLERY – MID-AFTERNOON

 

LYDIA

 

I’m so impressed with the ideas for lighting that Justin had, they always say if you want the lighting right in a gallery ask an artist.  The guys at Uptown are so pleased to get their funky gallery back, not that they mind Renaissance work but we had five showings in the first week and then we had to shut them down as Justin didn’t like the lighting in there as much as he thought but that was a quick job and they were back in business in a few days.

 

Rumour has it that they have christened both premises, they do make me laugh those boys.

 

LYNDSAY

 

Wow whoever did the refit in here has done a superb job, it looks so much better and I did take a quick look in Uptown and it seems they’ve had money spent on them too.  I can understand the frostiness of Hunter but Martine and the others I don’t understand I never said anything about them.

 

                “Good afternoon Cara, Lydia is expecting me.”

 

                “Lydia, she’s here.  Sure.  Follow me.”

 

I bridle at the ‘she’ but say nothing.  As she leads me through I notice one of the Cast paintings hanging in a grouping with a Matten, a Wolf and a Van Meer…and give a low whistle whilst pausing to have a look.

 

                “Lyndsay, Lydia’s on a back to back schedule today…”  She prompts

 

LYDIA’S OFFICE

 

                “Ah Lyndsay have a seat, do you want a drink or anything?”

 

                “No, but Cara if you could take my coat.” 

 

I hand it to her with a small smile, which she doesn’t return as she closes the door a little firmly, I take a seat and put my phone on her desk.

 

                “Is Cara alright?” 

 

                “Yes, yes she’s fine.  How have you been?”

 

                “I’ve been keeping busy…”

 

                “So I’ve heard.”

 

                “The place looks great…whoever had the idea about the Cast grouping is very good…”

 

                “Make sure to tell her that before you leave.”

 

                “Who?”

 

                “Cara, she’s an absolute doll.  Now the reason for this meeting.”

 

I sit up straighter and pick off a piece of lint from my skirt and slowly look up; just like Zee did to us on Friday.  Although I’m loathed to admit it, as her gaze crawled up us and locked on our faces and she just blinked it was very effective.

 

                “Are you going to faint?”  Lydia looks alarmed.

 

                “No, I’m fine, why?”

 

                “The way your eyes rolled into the back of your head I thought…anyway, with regards to the suspension, the whole point of it is to provide a period for reflection of your actions.  See what steps you would take to do things differently…”

 

                “Which I have taken…”

 

                “So you’ve apologised to Hunter then?”

 

                “Well no not yet but I will when I’m back in the office…”

 

                “Lindsay you’re not coming back.”

 

                “What?” 

 

                “Effective, immediately your employment within Bloom Gallery is terminated…”

 

                “On what grounds!  Because of what I said about him, I’ll…”

 

                “Not just that, it is being terminated because of your previous behaviour and now you’re bringing the name of the gallery into disrepute and…”

 

                “How did I bring it into disrepute?” 

 

                “That’s all you heard.  Let’s start with your insubordinate attitude before the suspension, you were already on probation when I took over.  You didn’t want to do the tasks required of you, for example cataloguing.  The lack of remorse over disclosing details about Hunter.  As for the disrepute, you getting arrested for trespassing, instances of you being disruptive at your partner’s place of work and the final coup de gras being ejected from a court for what could only be described as contempt.”

 

                “How did you find out about the last two, they have no reflection on Bloom…?”

 

                “As I have often said the art world is very small and how can you say that?  Of course it reflected on us, it makes people question our judgement to still keep you employed and having discussed it with my partners…”

 

                “I can speak to them and explain the extenuating circumstances, I have been under a lot of pressure and…”

 

                “No, they are very busy people and have put me in charge of handling day to day stuff.  Against my better judgement I will, if a reference is requested; say that your work was good but felt it was time to move on.”

 

                “I have a right to be heard Lydia!”

 

She reaches for the intercom and we are both startled when my phone rings.

 

                “Bloom Bitch.  Well isn’t that special.”  She remarks dryly cutting that off.  “As for your right to be heard, not here and no longer.”  Reaching again for the intercom she calls Cara.  ““Cara Ms Peterson is leaving soon, could you make sure everything is in order.”

 

                “Lyndsay please return all Bloom property the keys, business cards if you have them and anything that could remotely connect you with Bloom.”

 

I search my bag and pull the keys off my ring and hand them to her, I snatch up my phone and glower at her.

 

                “Thank you.  This meeting is now over.”

 

                “Oh this is far from over.  And what about my final check?”

 

                “Read your letter of suspension Lindsay, it clearly states that your salary will restart once your suspension is complete and since that is not going to happen, your last payment was your final one and you agreed to that.”

 

                “You will regret this Lydia, not only will I sue and win, but you don’t know who I know in the art world”

 

                “I look forward to receiving the papers.  And as for regretting this, I won’t and knowing people in art world is one thing.  Getting them to help you in your hour of need is something completely different.  Goodbye Lyndsay, I wish you luck with your future endeavours.”

 

I stand up and push back the tears of shock and frustration threatening to fall and walk out.  Cara is waiting for me with a box and my coat, she shoves them into my hands and pulls open the door.

 

                “Good riddance to bad rubbish.”  She declares.

 

BRITIN – EARLY EVENING

 

STUDIO

 

JUSTIN

 

I have been trying to get out of mom what she spoke to Millie about but she said that I would be told when I needed to be. 

 

I have been painting all day, admittedly my hand is cramping a bit but I have managed to get Daphne down on canvas, it’s when Brian kissed her temple and the smile on her face, he’s somewhat in shadow pulling back so she’s the main focus.

 

It’s funny the things that I remember, him stroking the lapel of my jacket such a little thing but it means so much.

 

                “Hey.” 

 

I smile as he pokes his head round and would run to him but I’m in my smock, but then I change my mind when he steps inside and he’s very naked.  Twenty sweaty minutes later, we untangle and come down from an intense orgasm.

 

                “Wow!” 

 

I gasp and try to sit up but my bones are like jelly, chuckling he helps me to sit up and pulls me between his legs and we share a bottle of water.  He’s staring at the picture with a sweet smile on his face.

 

                “Is it right?”  I ask shyly.

 

                “Yes.  She smiled just like that.”

 

                “Brian, please promise me a couple of things.”

 

                “Anything.”

 

                “We need, need to talk to someone about this can, can we do that?”

 

                “Yes and the other thing.”  He kisses the side of my neck licking at my pulse point.

 

                “Forgive yourself, please forgive yourself.”

 

He stiffens, then sighs and gives a small nod.

 

                “I will, it will take time but I will.”

 

COURTYARD HOTEL SUITE

 

LINDSAY

 

I’m glad that Michael has decided to go to see Debs so I can fucking process what has happened without a litany of questions. 

 

I cannot believe that bitch has fired me!  The first thing I need to do is find out who those owners are and explain the extenuating circumstances of what has occurred, with my connections I will be back there in no time with her grovelling at my feet, begging me to come back.

 

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK!  BLOOM GALLERY OWNED BY JUSTIN TAYLOR!  HOW?  WHY THAT FUCKING INGRATE!

 

DEBS & CARL’S

 

MICHAEL

 

I can’t believe my fucking mother did this to me!  I march up to the door and lean on the bell.

 

                “Michael would you like to come in?”  Carl drawls sarcastically.

 

                “Yes I would!  I’m going to collect the rest of my collectibles if you don’t mind!”  I snap

 

He gives me this look.

 

                “No I don’t mind at all help yourself.  Red!  Michael’s here he wants the rest of his stuff so I said he could go upstairs and get it.”

 

                “Okay honey!” 

 

Okay honey!  O-fucking-kay honey!  I storm upstairs and march into my room and then march right out.

 

                “Mother!  Get up here!”  I scream.

 

She comes upstairs sipping her coffee.

 

                “Problem?”

 

                “Problem!”  I splutter.  “What the fuck happened to my room!” 

 

                “Nothing since this is not your room.  What has happened to my spare room is that I have redecorated it and I think it looks great.  And the kids are happy to stay here now.”

 

                “But the wallpaper, the curtains where are they?”  And where are the rest of my collectibles?!”  I shriek

 

                “The wallpaper is under there somewhere as for the curtains, I sold them.  And you have bought all...”

 

“NO!  How could you do that to me!  What about the comic books in the basement as well as other collect…?”

 

                “So that’s what those were.  When Baz and the boys did the decking and storage they found some boxes that were virtual mush and we had no idea what it was so we slung them.”   Carl replies calmly

 

                “What about the ones in the attic!”  I shout.

 

                “All gone to either you or other people who wanted them.  I had told you for some time to collect your stuff or I would get rid of them, you were given a choice…”

 

                “Well I want the money for the ones you sold to other people!”

 

I put my hands on my hips and glower at them, which for some reason makes them smile.

 

                “Taylor does it better but at least she’s growing out of it.”  Carl comments.  “Red do you need me for anything else?”

 

                “No honey, I’ve been handling him for years, you carry on.  As for you and the money request, I’m afraid you can’t have that as it is tied up in funds…”

 

                “Oh yes, whose fund?  And I just want to check mother that you will stand by your promise to help me with the tax bill, you know the $15,000 you agreed to give me.” 

 

I try to keep the smile off my face when Carl stops leaving and turns back to us frowning.

 

                “What’s this about Red?”

 

                “Didn’t you tell him about that mother…?”

 

                “Oh wait is that the monthly payment plan one?”  He asks her

 

                “Yeah honey that’s the one.  As for the fund it’s been split between Jenny and Hunter’s college funds, it’s about time a Novotny made a contribution don’t you think and as for that…”

 

                “Ooh as Jenny would say…burn!”  Carl guffaws

 

                “You don’t seem unduly upset Carl about mother giving me $15,000 of your money after all you’ve made it clear that I should come second in her life now that you are in it.”

 

                “Why should I be upset?  The payment of 1 penny a month is not going to affect me in any way.”

 

                “A penny?” 

 

Ma looks at me with something verging on disgust.

 

                “Yes it starts in March remember, now actually speaking of starting, the QVC sale is due, go set us up honey and Michael we’re done here.”

 

She holds open the door and I stumble out of the house in shock.

 

COURTYARD HOTEL SUITE

 

LINDSAY

 

I have been pacing for the last 10 minutes fuming.  I have spent the last few hours trying to speak to Justin but he’s not picking up and for the last couple of hours Brian hasn’t picked up his phone either.

 

I jump slightly when Michael storms in the room with a face like thunder.

 

                “You are not going to believe this but my mother, the traitor, has not only sold all of my stuff but she’s turned my bedroom into so fucking spare bedroom and… what’s wrong with you?”

 

                “Guess who owns Bloom Gallery?”  I demand.

 

                “That Lydia Glen something…”

 

                “Yes but guess who else…I’ll give you a clue, blonde, fat assed and likes to fuck with our lives!”

 

                “Boy fucking Wonder!  Does Brian know!  When did that happen?”

 

                “And guess what he’s had me fired!”  I bellow.  “Well he’s not getting away with this, I’m going to sue him for unfair dismissal.  I don’t think Brian knows or he would’ve told me.”

 

I wrench open the mini bar and pull out a whisky and quickly drink it. 

 

                “We need to hit the bar bad!”  I tell him firmly.  “That ingrate is not going to know what hit him!”

 

BRITIN – EARLY MORNING

 

JUSTIN

 

I’m watching Brian sleep.  I can always tell when he’s feeling bad about something because he gets this little sleep frown but right now he’s sleeping like Lilah does when she’s very comfortable and basking in a sun spot.  My phone beeps and I reach over for it and scroll through the calls, Lyndsay seems to have called about 50 times. 

 

                “You’re holding the wrong thing in your hand.”  He mumbles sleepily.  “It’s down here, attached to me and need of your attention.”

 

I giggle and drop a kiss on his forehead.

 

                “Do you know why Lyndsay has phoned me so much last night?”  I call out from the bathroom.

 

He pads in behind me and starts to brush his teeth whilst nodding, I wait patiently for him to complete his routine and start the shower.

 

                “Lydia fired her.”

 

MITCHAM & HARE ATTORNEY’S AT LAW – TUESDAY LATE MORNING

 

PHIL’S OFFICE

 

MALORY

 

                “Sorry still no response, do you want me to keep trying?”

 

                “No don’t worry, I’ll do it.  Here’s the Benson file all done.  Thanks.”  He sighs.

 

Poor man has aged about 20 years since he took on those people.

 

PHIL

 

I’m going through my papers for today and we’ve been calling Lindsay all morning as I want to check her letter and make sure she has the check ready before we go to court.  And amazingly enough she picks today to go to ground.  I try one more time.

 

                “Ah Lyndsay.  Are you alright, you sound a little hoarse.  Oh okay, well I just wanted to make sure you bring the letter and the check for the meeting this afternoon.  Great, well I’ll see…sorry what did you say, you want to do what?  Unfair dismissal suit…we’ll discuss that later then.”

 

Jesus Christ, I get rid of one thing and she brings me afuckingnother!

 

WHITE & SULLIVAN – 40 MINUTES BEFORE THE HEARING

 

ADAM’S OFFICE

 

                “Hi Emily, Francine how are you both feeling?”

 

                “Nervous, I can’t understand it.  I mean we’ve been vindicated but I still feel nervous about reading that letter, especially as I know she won’t mean it...”

 

I like Emily, she could really have gone after Lindsay and some people knowing the father of her child would’ve done but she just wanted an acknowledgement of her pain and an apology, it’s why I take cases like this. 

 

                “She doesn’t have to mean it she has to say it and that will stick in her craw.  And another thing, the threat of a trial will make her behave somewhat, well that’s the theory.  Now come on let’s walk across.”

 

ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE – OUTSIDE COURT ROOM 4

 

PHIL

 

I can’t believe what she brought me, she wants to sue Justin Taylor for unfair dismissal fine but doesn’t seem to understand that he’s not in charge of the day to day running of the gallery, he may own it but he doesn’t have a say in the HR side.  I managed to get a copy of the ownership agreement and it clearly states that Lydia is in charge of that and he only gets involved in the gallery itself like shows etc.  Of course she didn’t want to hear that and now wants me to sue him privately. 

 

She said that I didn’t need to see the letter and despite my insistence she refused to show it to me saying that it was between her and Emily.  Which I can somewhat understand as it would be humiliating for her for people to know the contents of it.  However, she did show me the check, though we had to get a cashier’s one instead of a personal one.  I hid the smirk at her affronted expression that her financial integrity was being questioned.  Thankfully, she also came alone, we left Novotny at the office.  Right show time.

 

USHER

 

                “All rise for Judge Meriam Maatje.”

 

                “This is the settlement hearing in the case of Mitchell vs Peterson.”

 

JUDGE MERIAM MAATJE

 

Please God let this go quickly and painlessly.

 

                “Please be seated.”

 

I look through the paperwork and then up at counsel and take a breath.

 

                “Mr Mitcham has your client prepared her letter and is the check present?”

 

                “Yes your honour.”

 

                “Well let’s proceed.”

 

He has to nudge her a little until she grudgingly hands over the two envelopes and he passes them over to Mr White, who opens the first one.

 

                “This is the cashier’s check for the settlement your honour.  Would you like me to sign for the receipt now or at the end?”

 

                “At the end please Mr White.  Now Mr Mitcham your client may proceed.”

 

                “Proceed your honour?”

 

                “To read her letter out loud.  I have to say I’m surprised she memorised it given the…”

 

There’s a snort from Mr White and his client is shaking her head, they confer for a minute and he squeezes her arm and nods.

 

                “Problem Mr White?”  I ask

 

                “No your honour.  If that’s all, can we conclude this…?”

 

                “Please hand me the letter Mr White.”

 

I see Mr Mitcham pinch the bridge of his nose and look at her.  The usher hands me the letter and I open it.

 

                “Mr Mitcham have you seen the letter?” 

 

                “No your honour she insisted that it would…”

 

                “Sorry.”

 

                “I said no your honour she…”

 

                “No Mr Mitcham that’s the full content of the letter, one word sorry.  Do you think that is an adequate apology?”

 

                “No your honour.”

 

                “Me neither and the fact that you signed it Lindsay Peterson and then in brackets ‘mother’ shows the depth of your contempt not only for Ms Mitchell as a person but for this court.  Now I am not a vindictive person so I am going to give you one more chance Ms Peterson.  Mr Mitcham you have 10 minutes to come up with a…”

 

                “Uh your honour…”  Mr White speaks up.  “My client just wants this to be done, no matter what she writes she’s not going to mean it so why…”

 

                “Because she has to say it Mr White, Ms Peterson has to make amends to my satisfaction.  Excuse me, sorry for my tone Mr White that was not directed at you, it was a reaction to the needless behaviour.  So what is it going to be a rewrite or trial Mr Mitcham?”

 

He confers with her and reluctantly she nods.

 

                “If we could just step…”

 

                “No you will remain here.  I have had you in my court many times Mr Mitcham and you’re a man of great integrity but every man has his limits.”  I look at him knowingly.

 

                “Yes your honour.”  He gives me a grateful but quick smile

 

                “Please pass these to Ms Peterson and your ten minutes start from now.”

 

She takes the pen and paper and starts to write, there is the odd sharply muttered word from him and a glower from her but it is finally done.

 

                “Are we ready Mr Mitcham?”

 

                “Yes your honour.”

 

                “Ms Peterson, you have to stand and read.”

 

Slowly she stands up and her face is white with fury, clearing her throat she begins.

 

            “Emily, please take this letter as an acknowledgement and apology for what I promised and deliberately sought to do the opposite of, which I achieved for my own ends. My behavior was extremely inappropriate and immature towards you and Francine, considering the delicate nature of what you asked of me.  My behavior since then has lacked the respect your feelings, it was undeserved and I acknowledge that it was malicious and cruel.  During this hearing I’ve learned that nobody appreciated my poor behavior including the father of my child who I also manipulated and lied to.  I have every intention of curbing my thoughtless actions and will learn to adjust my behavior so that I think of others before myself.  Again, I am sorry for my actions and I hope that we can put this matter behind us.  I also hope that the settlement, which can’t replace what I deliberately took from you, goes some way to assuaging your feelings.  Sincerely Lindsay Peterson.”

 

                “You may sit Ms Peterson.  Mr White, Ms Mitchell would you like to confer for a few moments?”

 

                “No your honour though Ms Mitchell would like to address Ms Peterson directly?”

 

                “Proceed Ms Mitchell.”

 

                “Lindsay I know you didn’t mean a single word of that but I’m so fucking…sorry your honour…glad that you had to say it.  Now, when I leave this court I’m going to go knowing that I will be the one thing you will never be and that’s happy.”

 

                “Not a problem at all Ms Mitchell.  Are all parties satisfied with this outcome?”

 

She starts to say something but one sharp look and tug on her arm shuts her up.

 

                “The matter between Mitchell vs Peterson is so settled.”

 

USHER

 

                “All rise.”

 

MITCHAM & HARE

 

PHIL’S OFFICE

 

MALORY

 

Well whatever happened earlier put a spring in Phil’s step and a shit in her sandwich.  Her cohort has been popping back and forth like he has ants in his pants but they are now in his office.

 

                “Sorry, sir may I help you!”

 

                “Not a problem whatever you were thinking of surely made you happy.  My name is Vine, Ivan Vine, I understand I can find a Michael Novotny here?”

 

                “Yes, take a seat in that room over there I won’t be a moment.”  I wait for the door to close and hit the intercom.   “Sorry to interrupt Phil but can you step out for a moment and bring Mr Novotny with you?”

 

                “What’s going on?” 

 

                “An Ivan Vine is here wanting to see him.  Conference room 3.”

 

PHIL

 

For crying out fucking loud!  I look at him and he looks as puzzled as I do.  We head to the conference room.

 

                “Mr Vine, I’m Philip Mitcham this is Michael Novotny how may I help you.”

 

                “Gentlemen, I represent Hunter Bruckner in the matter of the dissolution of foster care and adoption order that…”

 

                “I’m not signing that I want to remain his father…”

 

Seriously why can’t those two just be quiet!

 

                “Yes I’m aware of that, I’m also aware that the subpoena was issued for you to attend court last week in March, unfortunately, due to extenuating circumstances this has to be moved to tomorrow, I thought I thought I would do you the courtesy of attending in person to advise you of this and to ask if there is any way Mr Novotny you would reconsider this course of action, nobody wants their dirty linen aired in public.”

 

What the fuck is happening?!

 

                “No I’m not changing my mind!”  He folds his arms across his chest.

 

                “Very well.  See you in court ten am sharp.  Good day gentlemen.”

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

If you want to review the Emily bit, please do so but if not then happy reading C48 hopefully.  Thank you.