- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I've taken a few, well actually a lot, of legal liberties.  

CHAPTER 52 – EMANCIPATE YOURSELF FROM LINDSAY & MICHAEL NONE BUT THEM SHALL FEEL THE KABOOM!

 

BRIAN

 

I know I can feel Gus and he’s shaking.  Justin is sobbing in Jennifer’s arms.  And Mel and I, we’re just staring at each other in shock, the noise around us is deafening.

 

                “Wh…?”

 

                “Everyone shush!  Let’s let the parents take this in for a minute.”  Solomon booms and there’s quiet.

 

                “Wh…di…did we just win?”  I manage to stutter

 

                “Yep, how’s it feel?”  Adam asks grinning.

 

                “But…they…he…I mean she.”  Mel’s stammering too.

 

                “Lost?”  Adam supplied

 

                “Okay people, here’s my time honoured remedy for a situation like this.”  Solomon advises

 

                “Hey yuck!  What the fuck did you do that for?”  I shriek as I feel his wet finger in my ear.

 

                “Ah there’s the Brian Kinney my cousin told me about, though he said nothing about the girlie shrieking.”

 

I grab the tissue Jennifer’s holding and clean my ear before grinning ruefully at him.

 

                “Thank you, just thank you.”  I stumble out.  “Though those words can hardly justify…”

 

                “What for, I turned up, asked questions and they fucked themselves.  The person you should really be thanking is Ted.”

 

                “Ted!  You come here!”  Carl demands

 

Ted is pulled into a bone crushing hug by both Carl and Debs.

 

                “And…and Aunt Zee.”  Jenny hiccups from Ben’s lap.

 

                “I didn’t do anything.”

 

                “Bullshit, if it wasn’t for you saying to her parents about the place in Canada, they could…” 

 

Justin trails off and stars to cry again.

 

                “Parent singular.  And no, they couldn’t.”  She replies bluntly. 

 

                “So what do we do now?”  Ted has pulled himself free of Debs’ chest.

 

                “What time is it?”  Mel has finally regained the ability to speak.

 

                “Twenty past twelve.”  Adam replies beaming.

 

                “Holy fuck Solomon!  You were talking for almost 2 hours.”  Leda gasps

 

                “Why do you think they call me the Dump Truck?”

 

                “The Dump Truck?”  Carl looks confused.

 

                “Yeah I just run them over and dump their shit back on them!  Now come on, you guys go home or wherever to take this in properly and for God sake celebrate tonight.  Tomorrow is a piece of cake but I’m going for total annihilation and then with the last case be prepared Mel, she has nothing to lose – and she’s a nasty ass broad.”

 

He winks at George and strides out.

 

                “Kiki can you go back to the…Jesus Christ Kiki is that you?  You look…you look…”  Debs stammers.

 

We all look at her, as we were so engrossed in the hearing that nobody looked anywhere else and she looks so much better than she usually does.

 

                “Wonderful is the word you’re looking for there, right Blake?”  Zee asks

 

Blake is just staring but now starts to blush.

 

                “Yes, yes she does.”  He nods.

 

                “So as I was saying.”  Debs is walking round Kiki in awe.  “You go back to the diner and tell everyone the news and I’ll meet you there.”

 

                “No, Kiki comes with us.  It’ll get back to Liberty with the help of everyone else, right?  So the family back to the Treehouse and Emmy Lou and I will try and find somewhere for dinner at short notice and…”

 

                “Um Aunt Zee…”  Gus interrupts.  “Can we just stay in and have Nakama instead please?  I don’t know about J but I just want to…”

 

He starts to cry again and this time I join him.

 

                “Everyone, let’s leave them be for a bit.”  Faal starts to gently but firmly herd people out.

 

OUTSIDE COURT ROOM 5

 

LINDSAY

 

No, this did not just fucking happen!  I look at Mitcham who is staring ahead and then at my parents, my mother looks furious and daddy is talking to Bernadine and Arnold.  We’d been sitting here for about 15 minutes when that Solomon guy came out and he just smirked at us as he left, fucking bastard!!

 

I hear the door opening and they crowd out and start to go to the exit.

 

                “Congratulations Zee you win for now, but there’s the emancipation hearing tomorrow and that you won’t win!  We will still be their parents and there is nothing you can do about that!”

 

                “Lindsay for the last time get this through your stupid little head.  Zee has nothing to do with this, you are channelling your anger against the wrong person…”  Carl tells me

 

                “And who should I be channelling that at.”

 

                “Look in a mirror you dumb ass broad!”  George snarls.  “Right people enough of hanging round roadkill let’s get out of here.”

 

                “I’ll wait here for them and we’ll meet you by the car.”  Carl tells them.

 

Nobody says a word for a while.

 

                “Why couldn’t you leave it alone?”  Carl asks me.

 

                “He’s my child, I have the right to…”

 

                “No, this was not about Gus this was about you and Michael, you were prepared to make the children miserable just so you could have your own way, why?”

 

                “I…”

 

Before I could say anything else the door opens and they come out.

 

                “Gus, Jenny wait!”  I call out and at first I think they are going to ignore me but they turn back.

 

                “Unless you are going to say sorry for hurting us we don’t want to know.”  Gus tells me

 

                “I…”

 

                “Is the attorney for Michael Novotny here?”  A man calls out.

 

                “That would be me!”  Mitcham stands up waving.

 

                “Two different judges have sent him down…he’s all kinds of dumb right?”

 

                “Yes.  Come on let’s go get your friend...and this is the last time.”  Phil pulls on my arm.  “Next time he runs his mouth he stays overnight!”

 

I gather my things and turn to speak to Gus but they are already making their way down the corridor and they don’t look back. 

 

OUTSIDE ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE

 

MICHAEL

 

My wrist fucking hurts, I’m going to sue that fucker.  Lindsay’s parents and their friends have gone, I’m just waiting for Lindsay and Phil to come out.  I can’t believe we lost, there must have been some bribery involved.

 

                “So what do we do now?”  I ask when they join me.

 

                “Do now?”  Mitcham echoes.  “Well you and her go home and I go prepare for tomorrow.  I would suggest that you learn to rein in that temper Mr Novotny.  And quickly, try to go for her again and I think the judge will let her husband have you.”

 

He stalks away and gets into a waiting car.  The silence between Lindsay and I stretches on.

 

                “Okay it wasn’t my finest hour…”

 

                “Wasn’t your finest hour, Michael you tried to assault her in front of a judge!”

 

                “I know I was there, but I was so mad at her smug face, you didn’t see her smirking at me all the time, it was deliberate she was doing it deliberately.”

 

She sighs and pulls me into her arms.

 

                “Of course she was, look tomorrow is another day, let’s go back to the hotel and rest.”

 

PHIL MITCHAM’S CAR SERVICE

 

PHIL

 

                “I hope there’s a video of that because I want to submit it to Dumbest Criminals or whatever it’s called.”

 

Aunt Millie is still chuckling.

 

                “First why would you do that in front of a judge, secondly in front of her husband and thirdly when said husband has about 70 pounds on you and that is pure muscle?” 

 

                “Did I mention that they are dumb?”  I sigh. 

 

                “Phil?”

 

                “Aunt Millie can you tell me that you’ve not influenced or impacted this case in anyway?”

 

She’s silent for a minute and sighs.

 

                “No I can’t.  But what I did wasn’t illegal, I just pointed some people in the right direction.”

 

                “Is tomorrow going to be bad?”

 

                “Yes.”

 

                “Will I need to move homes?”

 

                “I’m sure it won’t come to that but if it does I have the perfect place.”

 

TREEHOUSE

 

LOUNGE

 

FAAL

 

A formality but with annihilation I am looking forward to tomorrow!  I can’t believe that weasel went for my lig, how fucking dare he!  I know what the judge said about a restraining order and I will get one even if she doesn’t think it’s necessary. 

 

I head to the office and make sure the blinds are down and wait for him to connect.

 

                “Hey, I’ve heard nothing but love for your friends and I can’t wait to see the place, where are you?  Is that your office?”

 

                “Yes, listen I need a favour.”

 

KITCHEN

 

ZEE

 

Now that the reality has sunk in, we’re on food until Nakama delivers.  We’ve decided that everyone is staying here so it makes it easier tomorrow morning.  Kiki is perched on the love seat like the Queen of Sheba with Storm curled up in the pleats of her dress dozing happily. 

 

                “Okay, now that we’re up one to zip, tell us exactly what you did.”  Tucker demands.

 

                “Right, as you know I let ‘slip’ to Ronald that Lindsay had a place in Canada apart from your former place, which is in negative equity.  Obviously I wasn’t there for the auction but Uncle Luc…”

 

                “Wait, what auction and what does Uncle Luc have to do with it?”  Matt gasps

 

                “Matt!”  Hunter chastises him.

 

                “As I was saying, Uncle Luc let me know they were in Canada and flew down to…”

 

                “Why would Luc know about them being in Canada?”  Debs asks.

 

                “Same way we found out about Rita Montgomery, he’s been having them followed since I got antsy about them.  Anyway, so he flew down for the auction, the house was sold and with any balance of the negative equity covered by daddy dearest and…”

 

                “So where’d they get the money from to pay us off?”  Daph asks from the screen.  “Vince babe as much as I love you can you put me somewhere I can see everyone and not your chest?”

 

He looks embarrassed and puts her on the counter.

 

                “Love?”  Brian questions.

 

                “Zee you were saying!”  Daph squeaks.

 

                “Yeah, uh where was I, oh yes, sadly she actually came out with a bit of money, so mortgage paid off.  But dad insisted that they settle the lawsuits with the money with any outstanding balance being paid by daddy dearest and of course Michael paid or should I say played his part too.”

 

There’s a stunned silence.

 

                “Blake, you may want to call Stuart.  And make sure we can hear him.” 

 

                “Red Cape Comics, this is Stuart how may I help you?”

 

                “Stuart this is Blake, I’m with Zee and the family and…and I’m not sure what I’m supposed to ask next…”

 

                “Hey Stuart its Zee, you good?  Have you had any big collections come in lately?”

 

                “I’m well thanks.  Um yes we did, but we sold most of them on quickly, actually managed to make a profit.”

 

                “Can you tell Blake who the sellers were alphabetically?”

 

                “Yes, bear with me a minute.” 

 

He runs through a list of names and I watch to see their reactions

 

“Wait did you say Ronald Peterson?”  Kiki exclaims.  “I have to admit I’m a bit surprised he’s a collector.  Doesn’t look the type.”

 

                “Yes and that’s what I thought but he had lots of them, those were one of the lots we made a profit on.”

 

                “Thanks Stuart, bye.”

 

                “Bye.”

 

                “Oh my goodness.”  Jennifer chuckles.  “Kiki he’s not the collector Michael is!  So daddy made Michael sell his collectibles as part of his contribution to the bills.  That’s priceless!”

 

                “And the rest was all Ted.”

 

                “I can’t believe you two managed to do this without us suspecting a thing.”  Justin says in awe.

 

                “Why didn’t you tell me my lig?”  Faal pouts

 

                “Who told them about the honeymoon suggestion?”

 

He shifts somewhat uncomfortably.

 

                “Me.”

 

                “Who told Matt about his car?”

 

                “Me.”

 

                “And who told me about your folks coming to Brian and Justin’s wedding?”

 

                “Me…wait what?”

 

                “I couldn’t have done this without you just being there.  So I asked for two more places.”

 

He beams before attempting to kiss me unconscious.

 

                “Faal let her breathe, I have another question!”  Carl rebukes him

 

I snuggle back into his chest and grin once I catch my breath.

 

                “Why did your Uncle go to Canada surely if he’s having her followed they could just have reported in?”

 

                “That’s just the way he works.”  I reply smoothly.

 

                “Aunt Zee…”  Gus is looking at me carefully

 

He looks at Mel and then back at me.

 

                “He didn’t, did he?”  Gus asks

 

                “Jesus you really went all out didn’t you?”  Mel breathes

 

                “I had nothing to do with it, what he does is his business.”

 

                “Fuck me!  Sorry kiddies.”  Emmy Lou demurs.  “Your Uncle Luc bought her house didn’t he?”

 

                “Apparently it needs a bit of work…and he wanted to watch her face as it was sold.”

 

                “Okay, seriously never ever fucking crossing you or any member of your family!”  Brian snickers.

 

ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE – WEDNESDAY MORNING

 

OUTSIDE COURTROOM 5

 

SOLOMON

 

I’ve got to ride solo on this one, Adam had to be elsewhere and like the judge said it’s a formality but I still want to make sure that the judge comes down on our side by hitting her with everything we’ve got.  I had her yesterday today I get him.

 

I spot Jenny pelting down the corridor and brace myself for impact.

 

                “Hi!”  She beams at me and then tucks her arm into mine.

 

I’m glad that they took my advice and left the cheering section behind, this really does need to be family only.

 

                “Okay guys, you ready?” 

 

                “Yes absolutely.”  Gus replies firmly

 

Good I think, this is much better than yesterday.

 

                “Now kids, listen, I’m going to try and keep you off the stand, if we are lucky they’ll help me do that.  But if not when you get on the stand be honest and look between me and your parents, don’t look at them or embellish just say your truth.”

 

They both nod and we all head in, taking our seats in a slightly more relaxed fashion and no Kiki, but there is a gentleman on their side at the back who I don’t quite recognise but looks familiar.

 

They’re coming down with their swag on and oh my lord tell me that he’s not wearing what I think he’s wearing!  There’s dumb, there’s stupid and then there’s him…bring it!

 

Suddenly Faal gets up and stops Michael from proceeding.

 

                “Michael, I want you to look to the back of the room.  You see that man there, well he really loves Zee.  He’s my insurance policy on your behaviour and my reaction to it, well until I get a restraining order; do I make myself clear?”

 

We all look back and the man stands and smiles before advancing down the aisle, smiling and sweeping a stunned Zee into his arms and Matt is just gaping.

 

                “Faal!”  She cries out in annoyance.

 

                “So Michael.  Look at me.  I’m going to sit right here, nice and comfortable behind you and this person.  Have to be in grabbing distance.”  He drawls.

 

                “Sorry everyone, where are my manners?  This is Menno, Zee’s brother in law.  We’ll do proper introductions later.  No my lig, no he’s done this twice, no.”

 

We take our seats and I look at Brian and he nods and he’s never wrong!

 

The usher comes in and sighs heavily, eliciting smiles from our side and scowls from theirs.

 

USHER

 

                “Why don’t you all just move in?  Okay, all rise for Judge Meriam Maatje.”

 

JUDGE MERIAM MAATJE

 

                “Please be seated.”

 

                “Your honour this is, yet again, a case of Peterson and Novotny vs Kinney and Marcus in the case of the emancipation of the children Gus Marcus Peterson and Jenny Rebecca Marcus Peterson from Lindsay Peterson and Michael Novotny.”

 

                “Thank you, Mr Mitcham please proceed.”

 

PHIL

 

I get up and sigh, part of me just wants this done and dusted, it’s a formality after his stupidity yesterday, but the other part of me wants to know what the Dump Truck is going to do with him.

 

                “Your honour, Ms Peterson and Mr Novotny feel that the emancipation order is unfair and unjust and this hearing should be postponed until they have had the result of their appeal against the physical custody hearing.” 

 

Solomon doesn’t flinch but there are worried looks and gasps amongst his side, which makes that bitch smile.

 

                “Have they lodged papers for their appeal, I don’t seem to have them here.” 

 

                “No I was only told of their decision this morning your honour.” 

 

She looks at our side sternly.

 

                “Well until I have paperwork about the appeal I can’t take it into consideration, postpone request rejected.  Mr Mitcham you may proceed”

 

They whisper furiously with each other but I refuse to look at them, I told them when they called at six a fucking clock this morning that it was too late to submit and they should’ve factored in losing and had me prepare the paperwork, but no they were so sure.   And despite my arguments, they insisted I try for a postponement saying that the judge would see the sense of their argument.  Nothing says sense more than paperwork I wanted to scream at them!  And as for their other idea well…

 

                “I call Mr Novotny to the stand.  Mr Novotny can you tell the court why you should remain the father of Jenny Rebecca Marcus Peterson and dependent on the result of this hearing share parenthood and become legal guardian to Gus Marcus Peterson. Result of the physical custody appeal notwithstanding.”

 

There are stunned gasps but again Solomon doesn’t flinch but Justin Taylor looks like he wants to crawl down Novotny’s throat and not in a good way

 

                “Just a moment Mr Mitcham are you saying that your client wishes to apply for legal guardianship of Brian Kinney’s son?”

 

                “Yes your honour.”

 

Even the usher is looking at me with pity now.

 

                “Thank you, you may proceed.”

 

                “I’m Jenny Rebecca’s biological father and I haven’t unlike Brian, given up my rights.  I have supported Jenny in everything she’s done, we both have, and as for the legal guardianship, as has been mentioned my best friend has changed and not for the better.  I feel that the influence of Justin Taylor will spread to Gus and I want to stop that happening by being the voice of reason.”

 

                “Thank you Mr Novotny.”

 

                “Mr Sullivan you may proceed.”

 

                “Thank you your honour.”

 

SOLOMON

 

                “Mr Novotny how long have you known Mr Taylor?”

 

                “Since we were teenagers in high…sorry who did you say…Justin Taylor?”

 

                “Yes, Justin Taylor, Brian’s fiancé, how long have you known him?”

 

                “Since they met…”

 

                “Were you happy that they met?”

 

                “I didn’t have feelings either way.”

 

                “Hmm.  You say that Justin Taylor has influenced Brian negatively how has that impacted on his son to the extent that you want to become his guardian?”

 

                “Brian has always been my best friend and always supported me now that Justin has become a supposedly permanent fixture in his life that has changed.  He’s not supporting Gus as much and…”

 

                “How do you know that, has Gus come to you to express discontent?”

               

                “No but…”

 

                “So this opinion has come about because of something you have witnessed happened to Gus that caused him distress?”

 

                “I don’t live with Gus.  But I’ve heard of episodes when he was distressed.”

 

                “It’s odd that you say that Gus is distressed, were you aware that he had a letter drawn up requesting the reinstatement of his father’s parental rights and that Ms Peterson was supposed to have told Mr Kinney of that letter but didn’t?”

 

                “I-I uh, was aware of it and since the distressing the incidents I’m glad that she didn’t let him know as…”

 

                “Nice try.  So what distressing incidents were they?”

 

                “I, I don’t think it would be prudent to mention that here.” 

 

                “This would be the best place to mention it since it would add weight to your lie, I mean application for guardianship.  Let’s move on from there.  Do you have a good relationship with Gus, I mean do you talk regularly, hang out that kind of thing?”

 

                “We don’t talk on the phone as much as we could…”

 

                “That seems to be a trait with you.  I mean you didn’t talk on the phone with your adopted son Hunter and look what happened there.”

 

                “Objection, inflammatory comment.”

 

                “Your honour, just because the comment is contentious or inflammatory doesn’t make it less true, he didn’t contact his adopted son and he has been removed as his adopted father because of other actions, this can’t be denied.”

 

                “Overruled, just, try to stay on this side of polite.”

 

                “Yes your honour.  To continue Mr Novotny, you said supposedly permanent fixture with regards to Justin Taylor, care to elaborate?”

 

                “They are supposed to be getting married but he’s left him before and will leave him again when he doesn’t get his own way over flowers or something ridiculous.  He always leaves and we, myself and Lindsay, have to pick up the pieces.”

 

                “Uh huh.  Do you resent Justin Taylor for coming into your lives and stealing Brian from you?”

 

                “He hasn’t stolen Brian from me he’s still mine, I mean my best friend.”

 

                “I see.  Now let’s get onto the matter of Jenny Rebecca how would you say your relationship with her is?”

 

                “At the moment with everything going on it’s not the best.”

 

                “Mr Novotny, the laws on perjury still apply.  I ask again; how your relationship with Jenny Rebecca is?”

 

                “As I said, Mr Sulliman it is not the best with everything going on but before it was fine.”

 

I hear Phil almost whimper at the guy’s attempt at sass but hey whatever brings you down.

 

                “Fine, so why was Jenny mad at you at Christmas, I believe you had a row where she expressed the wish for you no longer to be her father, can you tell me what that was about?”

 

                “That was a misunderstanding about…”

 

                “You calling Hunter a diseased bastard and lying about why you got the money from Brian and Justin, and before you start to bluster please remember that this is the judge that ruled in your dissolution hearing…”

 

                “Mr Sullivan.”

 

                “Your honour.  Did she or did she not accuse you of lying to her Mr Novotny?”

 

                “Yes she did but I wasn’t given chance to explain.”

 

                “Why was that?”

 

                “Excuse me?”

 

                “Why weren’t you given a chance to explain to Jenny what had happened?  Was it because on that evening you were cast out from Brian Kinney’s life?”

 

                “I’m not cast out of his life, I’m…”

 

                “Trying to use this spurious legal guardianship attempt to stay in his life by using his son as a link to him to keep him in your life.  So this support you give to Jenny how does it manifest itself?”

 

                “I support her activities and make sure that…”

 

                “Activities like after school stuff?”

 

                “Yes.”

 

                “Like roller derby?  If you were so supportive of this why weren’t you at the final which her team won and how come you’ve been trying, along with Ms Peterson, to get her to stop roller derby?”

 

                “Okay there are some things I don’t like her doing but she’s still doing roller derby.”

 

                “Only because you had to keep your promise to let her do another season is that correct, you were willing to make her go to school and resign from the team until she reminded you of that promise and said that you would have to effectively drag her there to get her to resign.  Correct?”

 

                “I had…”

 

                “Mr Novotny why have you stopped paying support for Jenny Rebecca?” 

 

                “I haven’t been able to find employment…”

 

                “Unable to find or unwilling to look?”

 

                “Unable to find work and had to cut back on expenses and this was with the agreement of the parents, I do not include Ben Bruckner in that statement.”

 

Bitch please!

 

                “Why not he’s not once missed a payment for Jenny and in fact I believe that is another reason that led to your separation from Mr Bruckner…”

 

                “Objection, relevance.”

 

                “Will become clear.”

 

                “Overruled, and again get there quickly.”

 

                “Has Mr Bruckner ever missed a payment for Jenny Rebecca’s support?”

 

                “I don’t know you would have to ask him or her mother.”

 

                “I have and the answer is no, not only that but except for the two payments his missed last year towards her college fund, which we will come back to, he’s not missed a payment for those either.”

 

I hear frantic rustling.

 

                “Now the college fund for Jenny, this came about as a result of the loan from Mr Kinney.  Your honour can I stick with Christian names for the duration, we’re all on a first name basis by now?”

 

                “You may.  And behave Mr Sullivan.”

 

                “Thank you your honour and I will.  So the loan from Brian and Justin; you were required to make monthly payments to repay that correct and it went into a college fund for Jenny?”

 

                “Ye…yes.”

 

                “And Ben agreed to pay the same sum as you to contribute his share correct?”

 

Silence.

 

                “Mr Novotny, you need to answer the question.”  I prompt him.

 

                “Yes.”

 

                “So he paid and you stopped…why?”

 

                “Because I couldn’t afford to pay it back.”

 

                “Did you tell him that?  Oh excuse me your honour, Mr Novotny, my apologies, may I speak to my colleague?”

 

                “You may.”

 

I head to the back of the court and take the disc from him

 

                “Apologies, again can we have this disc placed in evidence as exhibit 1B?  I’m aware of the lateness of this evidence for which I apologise but it is pertinent to our…”

 

                “Yes Mr Sullivan.  As long as Mr Mitcham and his clients have the right to watch before submission?”

 

                “Thank you your honour.  Now Mr Novotny, where were we, ah yes did you tell Ben that you couldn’t pay it back?”

 

Silence.

 

                “Mr Novotny did you tell you then husband Ben that you couldn’t afford the payments?”

 

                “No.”

 

                “And yet you could use the money from the loan from Brian and Justin to buy collectibles, to live on when your lost your store…the reasons why are not pertinent at this time…to stay in a hotel, to rent a house and pay the rent for a year, for a year Mr Novotny.  And then when you got some residuals payments from Rage, a comic that you wrote with Justin, which was going to be turned into a film but sadly didn’t come to fruition, still you didn’t pay support to Jenny.  Why did you work with such a Machiavellian character that you purport Mr Taylor to be?

 

                “Huh?”

 

                “On Rage, if he was such a bad person why did you work with him?”

 

“It seemed a good idea at the time.”

 

“So it suited you just fine to work with the devil himself as long as he was bringing in money to your coffers, why did you stop working with him?”

 

“The movie was cancelled.”

 

“Yes but you attempted to continue the comic, where this started why did you stop?”

 

“He left Brian again to go to New York and it wasn’t sustainable?”

 

“Sustainable?  Isn’t the truth that Justin was too busy to work on Rage as his art took off and in the end he bought you out of the partnership to the tune of $20,000?”

 

“His scribbles and doodles took up…”

 

“Scribbles and doodles you call them.  Bitter much?  Why did you pay a year’s worth of rent?”

 

                “So that she could, I mean I had a secure base and she could come and visit me.”

 

                “Very noble, so how many times did she come to visit you?”

 

                “Once but I saw her more than that.”

 

                “Ah yes at the lunches at the weekends at various family members houses?”

 

                “Yes.”

 

                “And what did you talk about at these lunches?  Did you catch up on her school, her social activities, her romantic life, her…”

 

                “She doesn’t have a romantic life, especially not with him.”

 

                “Who him?  Do you mean Hank Cameron?”

 

                “Yes, yes I do, he’s another bad influence.”

 

                “Uh huh.  Do you love your daughter Mr Novotny?”

 

                “Of course I do very much!”

 

                “Yet you ignore her when you are in her company, don’t support her but want to make decisions in her life, try to get her to give up stuff she loves, don’t call her when she moves home…we’ve checked the phone records…and then you do this.  Your honour may we play the disc that is referred to as document 1A.”

 

                “You may.”

 

It’s the disc that Adam gave me, and I gave to Phil just as I came in with sweet apologies, which shows him raging in the cells after the Judge had ruled against him in the dissolution hearing and Lindsay agreeing with everything he said.  I’m sure that Phil loved to hear about his behaviour being described as cuntish and their threat to take him to the bar association. 

 

The look of horror on the faces on my side is nothing compared to theirs and the look of fury of the judge and the usher, Malcolm, as Phil is a particular favourite of his.

 

                “How did you injure yourself Mr Novotny?”

 

                “Where did you get this?”  He whispers

 

                “How did you injure yourself Mr Novotny?  How I appropriated the disc is irrelevant it is admissible as agreed by your lawyer, you know the one you called cuntish.”

 

                “Mr Ugerstacht attacked me after I…”

 

                “Tried to hit his wife, this is not the first time you’ve done this is it? 

 

                “I’ve…”

 

                “Your honour, may we go to recess so that Mr Mitcham and his clients have time to look at documentation exhibit 1B?”

 

                “There’s no need for that your honour, let’s just watch it now, I’m sure he can come up with some kind of defence for his behaviour.”  Phil grits out.

 

I sit back down and scoot closer to Jenny who looks traumatised at seeing her father like that.  She almost crawls into my lap, seriously she is adorable, just how can he speak of his kids like that?  I look at Gus who has gone from nervous to furious and he too has moved closer to Jenny.  I hear a hiccup then a whimper and my heart breaks.  It’s all been too much for her and I feel her grabbing at my arm.

 

                “Stop the disc.”  Judge Meriam orders, we’ve not even begun.  “Jenny do you need a moment?  We can have a recess now if you wish?”

 

                “C-ca-can I go with papa?  Just for a few minutes?  I ju-just need papa.”

 

                “Of course, go with Malcolm, he’s the usher, he will take you to my chambers.”

 

She nods and she and Ben leave and we wait for about 10 minutes and when she comes back she looks better.

 

                “Can papa and mom sit with me your honour?”

 

I see Novotny roll his eyes…dude seriously!

 

                “Yes of course, Malcolm can you get extra chairs, Gus do you want anybody with you?”

 

                “My dads’ if that’s okay.

 

This elicits a huff of annoyance from Lindsay, there is a few minutes whilst chairs are got and seats taken.

 

                “Restart the disc.”  Judge Maatje orders.

 

I settle down to watch, I know blueblood knows what he’s doing but he’s taking an awful risk with this.  And then again maybe not!

 

                “Damn!” 

 

Malcolm exclaims as we watch Zee put Michael on his back and then grind her heel.

 

                “Ahem, you may proceed Mr Sullivan.”

 

                “Eh-hem.  Thank you your honour.  So this is not the first time you’ve raised you fist in anger against a woman, which makes me worry that you would do this to Jenny should she venture an opinion that you don’t like.”

 

                “Oh come on!  Those were obviously manufactured tears at the orchestration of…”

 

                “Justin Taylor!  Zaden Ugerstacht!  Hell even the devil himself!  But the only people at fault, the only people who were willing and wanting to make their children who they purport to love and care for so miserable is you two.  What did you hope to gain from getting guardianship of Gus?”

 

                “As I said to save him from…”

 

                “Did you watch Gus and me during the temporary break in this hearing?”

 

                “No why would I?”

 

                “Because you should have done.  Because whilst you were checking your nails and looking at Ms Peterson, Gus was writing something down.  Malcolm can you pass this to the judge?”

 

He hands it to her and she reads it and she takes a deep swallow, before handing it back to Malcolm.

 

                “Your honour may I read it for the court?”

 

                “You may?”

 

                “If I agree to go with them can you get them to leave J alone?”

 

                “Oh Gus!”  Justin sobs.

 

                “May we continue your honour?”

 

                “No.  I have seen many things in my court.  But I have never seen such callous cold heartedness as you two.”

 

Lindsay stands up and goes to speak.

 

                “Sit!  Sit down or I will put you in that seat!  You Mr Novotny go join her I can’t bear to be this close to you.  As I was saying, you two are not thinking of anyone but yourselves.  And how you can inveigle, finagle and just downright fuck your way into the life of Brian Kinney.  But in a pinch for you Ms Peterson Faal Ugerstacht will do!  I have never been so angry in my life!  The fact that your son, Ms Peterson, is willing to sacrifice his happiness so that his sister is happy and that registers nothing is abhorrent to me!  How can you say nothing to that?!”

 

                “Your honour you are being blinded by the machinations of…”  Lindsay starts to protest

 

                “Shut the fuck up!  You can take me to every bar association, judicial body whoever the fuck you please to try and get this reversed, but I will just show them this video and they will give me the congressional medal for services to childcare and humanity!  The emancipation of Jenny Marcus Peterson and Gus Marcus Peterson is so ordered from Lindsay Peterson and Michael Novotny and…”

 

                “You’re not serious how can you come to that conclusion!” 

 

                “Silence in my court.”  I channel my devil voice and everyone is quiet.

 

I signal Malcolm and we confer.

 

                “Court is recessed for 10 minutes all parties to remain!”

 

PHIL

 

                “Cuntish?  Really you thought I was being cuntish?”

 

                “I was angry about what…”

 

                “That’s the thing with you two you’re always angry…”  I growl

 

MALCOLM

 

                “Mr Sullivan, Mr Mitcham and Ms Marcus the judge would like to see you in her chambers.”

 

They make our way to the room and I keep an eye on everyone in court just to make sure that every stays where they are supposed to but part of me hoping he doesn’t.

 

                “All rise for Judge Meriam Maatje.”

 

JUDGE MERIAM MAATJE

 

                “Apologies for my break in decorum.  However, the ruling still stands.  The emancipation is so ordered.  Now Mr Brian Kinney, Mr Justin Taylor and Master Gus Marcus Peterson please step forward.”

 

They do so with trepidation.

 

                “Mr Sullivan and Mr Mitcham can you step forward and Ms Marcus can you stand to the left.”

 

                “Now I understand that, you Mr Taylor wish to adopt Gus Marcus formerly Peterson as your son?”

 

                “Yes your honour.” 

 

                “Ms Marcus I understand that you wish to relinquish your parental rights thus restoring the rights of Brian Kinney but retaining legal guardianship thereby allowing Mr Justin Taylor to legally adopt Gus Marcus formerly Peterson.  Is this so?”

 

                “Yes you honour.”

 

                “And you do this without any coercion, threat or doubt or for monetary gain?”

 

                “I do your honour.”

 

                “What will be the new name of Gus Marcus formerly Peterson?”

 

I have never seen men as dumbstruck as Brian Kinney and Justin Taylor.

 

                “Mr Kinney, Mr Taylor?  What is your son’s surname to be?”

 

                “T-Taylor Kinney.  Gus Marcus Taylor-Kinney.”  Brian eventually replies.

 

                “Brian!”

 

                “Silence Ms Peterson or I will have you thrown out of here so hard!”  I snap.

 

She sits down but has a look on her face I itch to slap.

 

                “It is so ordered, please could you sign the papers and the witnesses thereafter.”

 

With shaking hands the papers are signed and witnessed by Solomon and Phil.

 

                “Please take your seats Mr Kinney, Mr Taylor and Mr Taylor-Kinney.  Can Mr Benjamin Bruckner and Ms Jenny Rebecca Marcus formerly Peterson please come forward.”

 

                “Mr Benjamin Bruckner it is my understanding that you wish to adopt Ms Jenny Rebecca Marcus formerly Peterson?”

 

                “Y-yes, your honour 100% yes.”

 

                “Ms Marcus it is my understanding that now the parental rights of Michael Charles No…”

 

                “Excuse me your honour?” 

 

I was all prepared to rip Peterson a new one when I realise it wasn’t her.

 

                “Yes, um Mrs Horvath isn’t it?”

 

                “Yes, I need to correct that man’s name.”

 

Okay this is new.

 

                “What is his correct name?”

 

                “Michael Charles DeVore, he no longer has the privilege or honour of calling himself a Novotny, your honour.”

 

                “Okay but for the purposes of this hearing can we stick to his original surname?”

 

                “Yes of course I just wanted it out there that he doesn’t get to use it any more, you better start changing your name because you’re a disgrace to every God fearing good decent…”

 

                “Mrs Horvath.  Would you mind ripping him a new one later?”  I smile at her

 

                “Oh no, not at all!  Thank you your honour.”

 

                “As I was saying…”

 

And I stop because Jenny is holding her dad’s hand so tightly and he’s trying not to cry.

 

                “All of you please just sign it.”

 

I notarize the documentation and peruse it twice.

 

                “I will get this indemnified by another judge but as of today, Mr Brian Kinney and Mr Justin Taylor are the legal parents of Gus Marcus Taylor-Kinney, with guardianship status to Melanie Marcus, and Mr Benjamin Bruckner and Ms Melanie Marcus are the legal parents of Ms Jenny Marcus Bruckner, I do believe that’s what you wanted your name to be?”

 

                “Yes your honour.”

 

                “Court is adjourned.”

 

MALCOLM

 

                “All rise for Judge Meriam Maatje.”

 

SOLOMON

 

In all my years as an attorney I have never seen that!  As we all file out in stunned silence I shepherd them to one side away from the protagonists.  We are all contemplating what has just happened when Michael steps towards Justin, who is standing by himself reading the papers, immediately Brian, Menno, Faal and Zee approach too.

 

                “So Boy Wonder you think you’ve won?”

 

                “Michael just go away and leave us alone.” 

 

                “Or what?  What is a cripple handed piece of blond boy ass going to do to me?”

 

I was about to say something when there is the sound of crunching bone and a yelp; and I watch Michael crumple to the floor holding his face.

 

                “What the hell just happened?”  Brian demands pulling Justin into his arms.

 

                “I didn’t touch him I swear Brian I didn’t touch him!”  Justin protests

 

Michael is writhing on the floor and Justin looks pale.

 

                “Brian take him to the Humvee.”  Zee tells him.  “In fact everyone go with except you three.”

 

Without argument they all leave, leaving Zee, me, Faal and Menno.  Lindsay has long since departed with Mitcham no doubt to work on Friday’s case.

 

                “He thucking hith me he broth my dose!” 

 

                “What did he say?”  I ask

 

                “He said ‘he fucking hit me he broke my nose’ that about right Mikey boy?”  Faal asks

 

                “Cam sthimbdy help me up, I feel thick?”

 

                “Yeah it’s called the wall, slide on your yellow belly and scooch yourself on up.”  I tell him.

 

We watch him manoeuvre himself slowly along and Zee has come back with a police officer.

 

                “What happened here gentlemen?

 

                “That blonde bathard hith me, broth my dose.” 

 

                “What blonde?”  He asks.  “You see anything Solly?”

 

                “Nope just heard a crunch and he was on the floor, we’d just been in court and he lost.”

 

                “Can you walk sir?” 

 

                “I wan goo preth charthes.”

 

                “Okay let’s first get you to hospital and then we go from there.  I got this Solly; you and your friends can go.”

 

We watch as he helps him away and we head out to join the rest of the family.

 

                “I’m not going to ask but whichever one of you it was, you’ve got to teach me that.  See you, well hopefully you Menno Friday evening, when this shit is all over.”

 

TREEHOUSE – EARLY AFTERNOON

 

MEL

 

We’re in shock, happy shock, but shock nevertheless, it’s over for Gus and Jenny this is over. 

 

                “Mel, did you want a brandy or whisky?”  Emmy Lou has finally stopped crying.

 

                “Whisky please.”

 

                “Seriously what the fuck happened in the corridor?  One minute he was bitching then next minute he was on the floor holding his nose.”  I ask.

 

                “Cripple handed piece of blond boy ass.  That fucking piece of shit!  Whoever it was that hit him thank you!”  Brian states vehemently.

 

We all turn to Faal and Menno, who are looking at each other

 

                “Wasn’t me.”  Menno says.  “And it wasn’t you?”

 

Faal shakes his head

 

                “You’re welcome, now come on let’s get some food down people’s necks.”  Zee smiles

 

                “You!  But-but how, you were behind me!”  Justin gasps.

 

                “A lady never tells.  So food?”

 

                “Lig, you threw an ice rock at him didn’t you?”

 

                “Yeah, I have good aim, such a shame he was so close and I was so annoyed.”  She grins

 

                “Aunt Zee can I have an ice rock?”  Jenny asks hopefully.

 

 

                “No!”  Ben and I shout.

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively.  Thanks xx