- Text Size +

TED

 

Blake told me to snap out of whatever fog I was in. I just kept thinking there was no way I heard Emmett right. It’s been five years. I have to be honest, I believed he was dead.

 

“Ted, we need to get over to Emmett’s.” He tells me.

 

“Did he tell you he was at Justin’s house?” I ask him. 

 

“Yes, and I told him we would be over there, so come on.” He tells me.

 

“I hope he has a good reason for leaving everyone worried.” I tell Blake. 

 

I had to watch Brian blame himself because Justin disappeared. Brian changed with every report that came in saying there were no leads. Every call from an unknown number became Justin for him. The disappointment when it wasn’t Justin, was devastating to watch. In my mind, Justin being dead was the only excuse for not letting someone know where he was. 

 

“Ted, at least give him a chance to explain before you judge him.” Blake tells me. 

 

“It better be good, because if he thinks we'll just forgive him for the devastation he left behind, fuck him. Unless I like what I hear, he’s not going near Brian.” I tell him. 

 

“I'm so glad you’re keeping an open mind about this.” He tells me. 

 

“You didn’t see Brian during that time, he was a wreck. Barely sleeping because he was afraid he’d miss a phone call, one that never fucking came.” I tell him. 

 

We pull up to one of the largest houses in our neighborhood. Emmett was standing on the porch waiting for us.

 

“Did he tell you where the hell he's been?” I ask him. 

 

“New York. Before you stick your foot in it, the reason he never contacted anyone was he doesn't remember us.” Emmett tells me. 

 

“That’s convenient, or a fucking excuse.” I tell him. 

 

“Trust me, the Justin I just met, isn't the guy we knew.” Emmett tells me. 

 

Emmett leads us into the fucking manor. Whatever happened, Justin seems to have come out well off. I had to reign in my inner asshole, because Emmett seemed to be protecting Justin. We get to the living room and there he sits, just as beautiful as he had been.

 

“Justin, this is Teddy and Blake.” Emmett tells him.

 

He looks at us and I start to believe Emmett. He stares at us like we are strangers.

 

“It’s nice to meet you, unless we’ve already met?” He asks us.

 

“I met you once, but I was a bit messed up at the time, so we never really talked to each other.” Blake tells Justin.

 

“Emmett told me that you guys might be able to help us decide on the best way to approach Brian, I want to meet my daughter.” Justin tells us.

 

“You told him about Jewel?” I ask Emmett.

 

“I told him the whole screwed up story, including the donation.” Emmett tells me.

 

“Do you think Brian would be open to letting me see her?” Justin asks me.

 

“I need to know if this amnesia thing is bullshit. Brian doesn’t need you fucking with his head, he’s been through enough. You seem to have landed on your feet, so if you're just trying to squirm your way back into his life, do him a favor and go back to where ever you were.” I tell him.

 

“You can call my agent Max Forester, he knows the whole story. Up until today I was going by Jay Thomas.” I tell him.

 

“Jay Thomas, isn’t he like a big artist?” Blake ask me.

 

“I’m an artist, and I do well.” Justin tell him.

 

“Isn’t that the painting…” I interrupt Emmett before he can tell Justin, Brian has the painting.

 

“Yes, it is.” I tell Emmett. 

 

“Um, if you don’t mind, can we get back to figuring out how I can meet my daughter?” Justin ask me.

 

“It might be better to get Brian to come here first. He is going to want answers from you, before he lets you near his daughter. Yes, I said his daughter, because Brian is that kid’s father.” I tell him, still not sure I believe what he is saying.

 

“Daddy, who are all these people, and why is that man angry at you?” I hear from the doorway.

 

I turn to see we have an even bigger mess than I first thought. 

 

“Is he?” I ask Justin.

 

“Emmett thinks he is.” Justin tells me.

 

“You don’t know?” I say, then realize if he had amnesia he wouldn’t. “Have you showed him Brian or Gus?” I ask Emmett.

 

“I should have thought of that, see that’s why I called you. I would have been rushing Justin into a car and we would have probably killed Brian and Jen with the shock of it all, if it were up to me. I tend to think in the minute you see… and nobody cares about that, right.” Emmett shrugs and takes out his phone to show Justin the picture. The kid climbs on Emmett’s lap to look. Guess he and Emmett became friends.

 

“Look daddy, I’m with the man in the picture.” The child tells Justin.

 

“No Aidan, that is Gussy and his dad Brian. You just look like him sweetie.” Emmett tells Aidan.

 

“Aidan? Have you told Justin?” I ask Emmett.

 

“Can you not speak in code? What should Emmett tell me?” Justin asks me.

 

“Baby, Brian’s middle name is Aidan.” Emmett tells him.

 

“Oh, I just liked the name, it was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw him.” Justin tells us.

 

“Look, I’m going to Brian’s house and talk to him. I’ll bring him here, if he is willing. Justin just don’t expect open arms from him.” I warn him. I’m afraid that Brian won’t care, if it means seeing Justin again.

 

“I don’t expect anything, but can you tell him about Aidan too. I don’t want him here if he isn’t going to welcome Aidan.” Justin tells me.

 

“Daddy, you aren’t bringing Kevin here are you? Cause he’s not nice.” Aidan tells Justin. 

 

“No, this is a friend of Emmett’s” Justin tells Aidan.

 

“You have nice friends don’t you?” Aidan asks Emmett.

 

“Auntie Em will protect you from all the meanies.” Emmett tells Aidan and starts tickling him.

 

BRIAN

 

I was outside with Jewel and Gus when Ted called me. He told me he and Blake were coming over to talk to me. Ted was smart enough to tell me it wasn’t the launch, because I wanted him to succeed, so I could take time off without worrying about Kinnetik.

 

“Everything okay?” Jen asks me.

 

“Ted just called to see if he and Blake could come over.” I tell her.

 

“If you need to go in, I’m free all day. I don’t mind staying with the kids.” Jen tells me.

 

“Hopefully, he just wants me to approve of his plans.” I tell her.

 

“Get the kids, I finished lunch.” Jen tells me.

 

I go outside to find Gus and Jewel, they were playing on the swing set when I left them. 

 

“Dad, Gus wants to play soccer.” Jewel tells me.

 

“First lunch with Grandma, then we’ll see.” I tell them. 

 

“Which means someone is coming over.” Gus tells Jewel.

 

“Uncle Ted and Uncle Blake are on their way.” I tell them.

 

“You promised to stay home this week.” Jewel tells me.

 

“I still plan on it, and just like I promised, you and Gus get to do what you want and I will suffer through it.” I tell her.

 

“I think we should make Dad take us to the mall.” Gus smirks at me.

 

“Why not just kill your father?” I ask them.

 

I turn and wait for the kids to follow me in. Jen had their sandwiches and drinks on the table. The kids sat with Grandma, and I went to answer the door. Ted was talking the minute I opened the door.

 

“Brian, I need you to stay calm. I just don’t know how to tell you this.” He tells me.

 

“How about taking a breath and spitting out whatever has you so worked up.” I tell him.

 

 

“Shit, um… you… Blake you tell him.” Ted tells Blake.

 

“Brian, is Ted okay?” Jen asks as she comes to see why Ted was fumbling with whatever was bothering him.

 

“Jen, um, well, she needs to know too.” He tells me.

 

“I’m sure she does, but since you haven’t said anything that makes sense yet, I couldn’t tell you.” I tell him.

 

“Emmett found something you’ve been looking for.” Blake tells me.

 

“Where is Emmett, and what was I looking for?” I ask Blake. This is worse than talking to Emmett.

 

“Can we sit down, I think you are going to need to.” Blake tells me.

 

“Can you get to the point before my vacation is over?” I ask them. It’s like pulling teeth.

 

“Just tell them.” Blake tells Ted.

 

“I’m going to be so bad at this, Emmett found Justin.” Ted announces.

 

“WHERE?” Jen yells.

 

“As strange as this sounds a block from my house.” Ted tells her.

 

“Get in the car.” I tell Ted.

 

“Brian, before you rush off, we need to tell you about him.” Ted tells me.

 

“I don’t fucking care, I… is he okay?” I ask.

 

“Yes and no, he’s physically fine, he just doesn’t remember his life here.” Ted tells me.

 

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?” I ask him.

 

“Justin doesn’t even go by Justin. Emmett told us that Justin has amnesia, he only remembers his life in New York.” Ted tells me.

 

“He doesn’t remember me or Brian?” Jen asks Ted.

 

“Jen, he looked at me like I was a total stranger. I didn’t want to believe the amnesia thing but you’ll see when you meet him.” Ted tells her.

 

“There is something else Ted needs to mention.” Blake tells him.

 

“Brian, he has a son.” Ted tells me.

 

“You want to tell him the rest, because Aidan isn’t just Justin’s son.” Blake tells Ted.

 

“The child, Aidan, well unless Justin found someone who looks exactly like you to have the kid with, Aidan has to be yours.” Ted tells me.

 

“Justin knows about Jewel too, and he asked to meet her. He told me to tell you if you can’t welcome Aidan, don’t come to his house.” Ted tells me.

 

“What’s the address?” I ask him.

 

“Brian.” Ted says.

 

“Either we go now or you give me the address. I’ve waited five years for Justin, don’t make me wait any longer.” I tell him.

 

“Do you want me to stay here with the kids?” Blake asks me.

 

“I need to see my son.” Jen said with tears streaming down her cheeks.

 

“Brian, it might be better for you not to have to worry about Gus and Jewel.” Ted tells me.

 

“How are we going to explain about Jewel to Justin?” Jen asks, she had gone back to check on the kids when Ted mentioned that Justin knows about her.

 

“Emmett already did that for you.” Blake tells us.

 

I’ve had enough of waiting on them to get me to Justin. “Blake stay with the kids, and Ted get in the fucking car.” I tell him.

 

I go to the kitchen to tell Gus and Jewel that I have to go see an old friend, not work. Then grab Ted and start shoving him out the door, Jen is already waiting by the car. I will finally know what happened all those years ago.