- Text Size +

BRIAN 

 

Justin smiles as he leaves the bedroom, but I now had hope that we could work to make a better relationship than the one we had. It was time to face Uncle Max. Walking into the kitchen, I noticed the kids weren’t there.

 

“Where are the kids?” I ask them.

 

“The marvelous Jewel is trying to convince Aidan that Teddy isn't a jackass. She told Teddy he had to play with them. By the way, I'm in love with your children. I might have to convince them to run away with me.” Max tells us. 

 

“That’s Jewel, wanting everyone to love each other.” Emmett tells us. 

 

“It would help if Teddy didn’t look like he has a stick up his ass. I mean look at the man he landed. I'd be like a baboon, shaking my ass for Blake.” Max tells us. 

 

“Baboon, really?” Emmett asks him.

 

“Honey, they shake their asses at everyone. Since we are childless and I can finally say what I think. Explain to me how none of you were able to find Jay? He’s been in the arts section of the papers, so it’s not like you couldn’t have stumbled on him.” Max tells us.

 

“If I saw an article with Justin Taylor listed, I would have been at your gallery the minute I saw it.” I tell him.

 

“Yet you bought his painting, but never wanted to meet the artist?” Max tells us.

 

“You bought one of my paintings?” Justin asks me.

 

“Yes, but no one could locate you at the gallery before I had to leave.” I tell him.

 

“Which one?” Justin asks me.

 

“Haunted.” I tell him.

 

“Why?” He asks me.

 

“It was what I became, a man looking for something. You haunted me.” I tell him.

 

“OKAY, so I’ll let go that you weren’t looking. Emmett and Mom filled me in on the whole ‘sperm heist’. Why aren’t they in jail? Not that anyone would care that they stole jizz, but I just want them to suffer for causing Jay to have to live thinking he was alone in the world. Are they going to be a problem, because I have all sorts of lawyers on speed dial and they would make mincemeat out of the besties.” Max tells us.

 

“They aren’t allowed near the kids, not that Michael even cares about Jewel. Lindsay is the one we have to constantly fight.” I tell Max.

 

“Why? You have custody, or is that a problem?” Max asks me.

 

“I have custody, but courts like her, she can put on a show that makes her seem so innocent. When she remembers Gus, it’s back to court, until she finds something new to do, then she drops it like she never caused all the grief.” I tell him.

 

“She’s one of those. You know Max, like Liddy, one minute pretending we are all just marvelous friends, then shit talking about me behind my back.” Justin tells Max.

 

“Yeah, she’s a cunt. She comes to New York, fucks with Justin and sleeps with another artist in a show with Justin. Then tries to get the other guy or girl to spread shit about Justin around. I finally had to tell the other artists that if they help Liddy, they were out of the show. They know what side their bread is buttered on because Justin is a main attraction at the shows, and only helps their careers.” Max tells us.

 

“Well Lindsay is the same way. She get’s Deb and Michael to help her make me sound like a bad father. Then just vanishes when she knows she isn’t going to win.” I tell them.

 

“Just say the word, I have people who can pull every skeleton out of her closet.” Max tells us.

 

“I guess we need to talk about how we are going to work at being fathers to the kids.” Justin tells me.

 

“We adapt to changing how we were doing it. I’m off all week, so whatever works for you will work for me.” I tell him.

 

“Emmett and I can watch the kiddies, if you two want to go out and get to know each other.” Max winks at Emmett.

 

“Grandma can watch the kids, because you and Emmett would need adult supervision, while the kids would get an education that I’m not ready to explain to my grandchildren.” Mom tells Max.

 

“I’m a very responsible person, ask Jay. Aidan survived without a scratch when I watched him.” Max tells her.

 

“Only because Aidan was asleep when I left him.” Justin tells Max.

 

Just watching Justin and Max talk put my fears to rest, they were like Emmett and I, close but not too close.

 

Maybe having Max around when I can’t be will keep Justin safe from the others, that would be a good thing. Although, Justin doesn’t seem to need it. He seems to handle things as they come, and he’s got a tougher side to him. He's not the kid who left here.

 

JUSTIN 

 

I honestly don't give a shit about the people who caused my life to change. As long as they leave my family alone, I'll spare them from the massive shit storm I can rain down on their heads. I'm not a homeless guy, praying for salvation from that life, I'm a survivor. I'll use anything in my power to make them wish they never met me, because my children won't be in the middle of a war zone.

 

I was just glad we were over the explanations, because I hate talking about it. I have a great life and wishing for ‘what ifs’ is a waste of time. I have better things to do, like getting to know Gus and Jewel.

 

“Daddy, are you going to live here?” Jewel asks me. 

 

“I live in my own house, but it's near Ted. So I'll be close by.” I tell her. 

“But parents are supposed to live together.” She tells me. 

 

“Jewel, it’s like our other parents, they don’t live here.” Gus tells her.

 

“That's cause they don't like us.” She tells me. 

 

“Honey, they just don't know how to be parents.” Mom tells her.

 

“Aunty Daph isn't a parent, but she loves us and so does Aunty Mol.” She tells Mom.

 

“Yes honey, but not everyone is like them.” Mom tells her. 

 

“You care, Aidan says you’re the best Daddy. Right Aidan?” She asks him. Aidan nods because his mouth was full of cookie.

 

“You'll like Dad cause he loves us to pieces, he tells us all the time.” She is really trying to convince me.

 

“I like your Dad because he loves you and Gus.” I tell her. 

 

There was a rapping at the door, and I look to see Brian rubbing his face, and my mother didn't look happy to hear it either.

 

“I'll try to get rid of her. In case I can't, maybe Justin and the kids should go to another room.” Emmett tells Brian.

 

“Who’s at the door?” Max asks them.

 

“Hopefully just Deb, but who knows with her.” Emmett tells him. 

 

“I'd like to meet the woman.” Max tells him.  

 

“I wish I didn’t know the woman, but if you want to meet her, we'll let you get the honors.” Brian tells him.

 

“Justin, it would really be easier to get rid of her if you weren’t here.” My mom tells me.

 

“Kids, want to show me your rooms?” I ask them.

 

“Anything if we don’t have to deal with that woman.” Gus and Jewel say together.

 

“Is she mean?” Aidan asks. 

 

“We just don’t like what she says to Dad.” Gus tells him.

 

“Dad, does she hurt you?” Aidan crawls into Brian’s lap and moves his hands from his face.

 

“No Aidan, she just wants me to be nice to her son.” He tells Aidan.

 

“Do you want me to tell her to go away?” He asks Brian.

 

“I can handle it, but you made it better.” He smiles at Aidan.

 

I get the kids gathered up and headed to their rooms in the back of the house. Brian came in the hallway and told the kids to go ahead and I would be there in a minute.

 

“Look, no matter what you hear, keep the kids out of the room. Deb doesn’t understand that she hurts them by saying the shit she says.” He tells me.

 

“I’ll keep them safe.” I promise him.

 

Brian puts his hand behind my head and leans down until we are just a breath away. I wanted it so I sealed my lips to his. The kiss felt like he was using it for the strength to deal with what was coming. We separated and he nodded then opened the door and walked out, closing me behind it.

 

MAX

 

I wait for them to bring the woman they all seem to dread into the room. I was texting a friend to see about some issues he could help me with, but if I need him he’ll come here. What I don’t get is why they are letting her in.  Really, kick the bitch out if she causes so many problems. I mean why put up with her? Emmett returns with who I assume is Deb from the way she walked in like it was her right, and some bible holding gray haired woman. Deb is looking around the room, she looks at me but rolls her eyes and spots Brian coming back into the room.

 

“Brian, I brought your mother to talk to you. It’s not right that we aren’t allowed to see our grandchildren. Maybe you’ll listen to her, if no one else.” She yells at him. This Bitch needs to lower the volume. 

 

“Brian, you need to consider the children's souls, you're raising them to think this lifestyle is okay. I want to save my grandson from the eternal fires.” So this is Brian’s mother.

 

“Too bad you couldn’t save me from you and Jack.” Brian tells her.

 

“Brian, Debbie and I are here to convince you to let us raise the kids in the way God would want.” She continues. But what did she and Jack do to Brian?

 

“So God wanted me to have a lush for a mother and a father who thought nothing of breaking my arm because he was having a bad day, while you pretended we were the happy Kinney’s.” And now I need to get rid of Bitch number two, because no one beats a kid.

 

“Brian, I deserve to see my grandchild. Jewel doesn’t belong to you, she’s Michael’s.” Deb tells him.

 

“So Mom, did Deb tell you her son is a queer too, or did she just tell you that your son is a heathen? How about the fact that your grandson was conceived in a sperm bank, because I won’t go near a pussy. My children are being raised to believe in a God who doesn’t judge people, unlike you. So take your bible and get the fuck out.” Brian tells her.

 

“Don’t talk to your mother like that.” Deb tells him.

 

“How could the President of PFLAG stand next to a woman who believes all faggots are going to burn in hell? Did Deb forget to mention that to you too Mom?” Brain taunts them.

 

“I’m leaving, and until you repent don’t call on me.” Brian’s mother tells him. She glares at Deb, I guess standing up with a woman who supports gay men, wasn’t on her to do list. Deb waits till Brian’s mother leaves to start on Brian again.

 

“I talked to a lawyer and he told me that he would help me get custody of Jewel. Michael deserves to know his child. Why couldn’t you put aside your anger and allow Michael and I to see our baby?” She tells him.

 

“Did you get Michael to agree to sue with you?” I ask her.

 

“Who the fuck are you, and my son will do what I tell him. Tell the trick to stay out of this.” She tells Brian. Well, let me show her a trick.

 

“I just ask because no state considers grandparents as having rights to a child, unless the parents allow it. Since Michael signed his rights over to Brian and Jen, you would be shit out of luck lady.” I tell her.

 

“Not according to the lawyer I met at the diner this morning.” She tells me.

 

“According to my lawyer, if Michael gave up his rights and didn’t financially support his child in any way, he would have a hard time convincing the court to give him two minutes with said kid. Being a grandmother isn’t going to get you anywhere. My lawyer went to Harvard, where did yours go?” I ask her smiling. 

 

“Brian, you owe…” Brian was obviously done with her.

 

“I owe you nothing after you showed up in court and tried to convince them that I would hurt my children. That I was a drugged out loser who lead your son on so that caused him to do something so out of character for him. Instead of telling the truth, that your son is a fucking piece of shit who expects his mommy to make everything better, no matter what shit he causes. You tried to turn me into an asshole who would beat his kids.” Brian tells her.

 

“Michael didn’t kick Justin out, you did, don’t blame him for you being a dick to Sunshine, you did that all on your own.” Wow, ‘hit him where it hurts and watch him bleed’ should be on her T-shirt or ‘I'm a dick’, instead of ‘Got Dick’. Brian needs to build a better fuck off system, because she got to him.

 

“While your son sat there and didn’t tell Brian the truth, that he was the one who left the door unlocked.” Jen hisses at her.

 

“Look at the way he treated Justin, Michael was scared of Brian. You know he almost hit Justin that day.” She tells Jen. What is she expecting, Jen to side with her. Jen looks like she would stomp Deb into dust if it would get rid of her.

 

“Your son steals, lies, and whines like a two year old. Why would we want the children to be around someone who teaches them everything is fine, as long as St Deb can excuse it?” Jen asks her.

 

“Fuck you, Jen. You were a shitty mother to Justin, he had to stay with me to see what unconditional love was.” She tells her.

 

“How much did I pay you for the unconditional love you showed my son? Sorry, but your bullshit doesn’t fly with me.” She tells her.

 

“Deb, why don’t you follow my mother and get the fuck out of my house. If you decide to take me to court, I hope you plan to tell your son about his father, because the gloves are coming off. Wonder if Michael can forgive you for lying to him all his life?” Brian tells her.

 

“Brian don’t ruin Michael’s life because you're a selfish asshole.” She tells him, wincing a bit at his words. 

 

“If you don’t leave you’ll find out how big of a asshole I am.” He tells her.

 

Guess Deb realized she wasn’t going to get her way, because she finally shut her mouth and stomped to the door, making sure to slam it hard enough to rattle.

 

“Can I ask a question?” I ask them.

 

“Go ahead.” Brian tells me.

 

“What’s with the wig and the make-up? Is she testing out how to be a Drag Queen?” I ask them. I guess it was enough to relieve the tension in the room, because they all seem to relax.

 

“No, the Drag Queen was Michael’s father.” Jen tells me. Man they really should tell me these things, I could have had all sorts of things to say to that.

 

I turn to see Justin staring at Brain, and Brian needs to worry because Deb just made Justin’s shit list, and Justin won't let this go. 

 

Brian walks over to Justin and I watch as Justin gathers him in his arms, like he knew Brian needed him. I mouth that we’ll watch the kids, and after nodding he takes Brian away to another room.