- Text Size +

"Oh Brian," Debbie greeted her surrogate son and attempted to give him a hug. Brian stiffened his body and didn't return the hug. Debbie noticed but didn't call him on it. "How are you feeling?"

"Like I was hit by a car. Oh wait, I was hit by a fucking car," Brian snarked.

Debbie stepped back and looked him over. She noticed his clean sweats and silently wondered if Jennifer went home to bring them to him, but then realized that she wouldn't leave the hospital. How can I worry about such trivial things as what Brian is wearing when Michael and Sunshine are...

"Any news?" Jennifer asked the group.

"The nurse came and talked to us a few minutes ago. Both of them are out of surgery and in recovery," Melanie informed them.

"Thank God," Jennifer said softly. "Did she say what kind of surgery?"

"Michael had pins and screws put in his leg and Justin had surgery on his arm and hand. The docs also said he broke some ribs," Mel informed them.

Brian gasped. Justin hurt his drawing hand. Shit! Brian slumped in the chair, hanging his head in his hands and blocked out the chatter of the group around him. I need a cigarette. Where are my fucking cigarettes? He felt around his shirt, remembering that Jennifer had bought him the clothing in the gift shop, his clothes ruined in the accident. Shit, I need to buy a pack of cigarettes. Getting out of the chair, intending to walk toward the gift shop, he remembered. Justin would kill me. I haven't smoked in three months. I promised after my last cancer check up that I would quit. Damn the blond. He won't know. Besides, he would understand.

Brian got up again, walking to Jennifer. "I'm going for a smoke and then I'll head up towards Justin's room. Do you want to come?"

Jennifer smiled at Brian's thoughtful request. "Thank you. I'll be up in a bit. I know you'll want to see him and the nurses will want to limit his visitors." Jennifer grabbed Brian's hands and squeezed them in hers, kissing him on the cheek as he walked away.

Brian walked to the gift shop and searched for the wanted cigarettes, but couldn't locate them.

"Where are the fucking cigarettes?" he demanded of the middle-aged woman behind the cash register.

She bristled at his abruptness and language, but answered in a calm manner, "Sir, we don't sell cigarettes. It's a hospital and smoke-free."

Brian shook his head and repeated ‘It's a hospital and smoke free' under his breath as he walked out of the shop. Vaguely he remembered Justin saying something about that when he was here after his incident. Shit, that seems a lifetime ago. I guess maybe it was.

He walked out the door and down to the corner drugstore, where he bought a pack of cigarettes. Lighting one as he left the store, he inhaled, savoring the feel of the nicotine coursing through his body. He still smoked an occasional joint, but there was something unique about cigarettes that always relaxed him. Maybe I could convince Justin that smoking really isn't that bad. And pigs will fly. When did I become so whipped? He finished his cigarette before entering the hospital, and stopped at the gift shop to buy some mints, hoping to hide the smell on his breath.

Making his way to the admission desk, he asked what room Justin had been given and was told that he would be on the fifth floor. Brian pushed the button for the fifth floor and made his way to room 514. Fucking Déjà vu. He didn't knock, but entered the room, stopping to take in the familiar layout. Justin was lying on the bed, his skin almost the same alabaster white as the blanket that covered him. He was hooked up to an IV and his arm was in a cast from the top of his elbow down to his fingers. Yep-Déjà-fucking-vu alright. Only difference was he didn't fall in the damn shower while jerking off. Instead, his cast is compliments of yours truly. Brian leaned down, gently kissing Justin on the forehead and moving his bangs away from his eyes. Brian looked around for the chair and pulled it close to the bed, sitting down in it and reaching out for Justin's hand. Placing his hand in Justin's, he caressed the soft skin of his lover as unchecked tears ran down his cheeks.

Jennifer made her way up to the fifth floor, inwardly groaning at the familiarity of the place. This was the second time Justin had been in this hospital and she really didn't want to deal with this again. At least this time, it wasn't life threatening and she was thankful for that. Making her way to Justin's room, she realized that this was the same room Brian had been in when he was in the hospital after his incident. She marveled at the love her son and his partner had, and was glad that she had chosen to accept their relationship. Arriving at the door to the room, she walked in softly, not wanting to disturb Justin, and saw Brian sitting by his side. Again, she wanted to hug him and tell him it would all be okay, but she quietly stepped outside of the room, choosing to wait in the visitor's lounge until he left Justin's side. She'd seen Justin and that was enough for now.

Brian yawned, the long hours of the previous day and the even longer night catching up to him. Leaning forward, he lay his head down across Justin's abdomen and fell asleep.

Jennifer went to the admission's desk and inquired about Michael, finding that he was on the fifth floor as well, just in a different hallway. She walked down and found Mel, Ted, Emmett and Debbie in the waiting area. She stopped at the coffee pot to pour herself a cup before joining them in their small corner of the room.

"Has he woken up?" Jennifer asked no one in particular.

"No. The doctors say his leg was badly damaged in the crash and they have him pretty sedated. He should wake up in the next hour or so; he'll probably be out of it for a few days," Ted explained quietly. "How is Justin?"

"He broke his collar bone, and his arm as well as some ribs. They can't do much with the collar bone and the ribs- just a sling for the collar bone, but they don't tape ribs anymore. The doctor said that it constricts the patient's breathing too much. He's got a cast from just above his elbow to the middle of his fingers. The doctor says he should recover. " I hope his hand is okay; his art is his life. She frowned deeply, hoping that her worries were unfounded.

"Justin is strong. I'm sure he'll be just fine," Em stated matter-of-factly.

"Did they keep the stuff from Brian's accident? The ramp and the shower chair? Michael could probably use those when he gets out." Ted inquired, although he wasn't sure Jennifer would know the answer to those questions.

"I'm not sure, but maybe we can look in the storage area of the loft. It would be stored there rather than at Britin," Jennifer reasoned out loud.

"I've got keys to the loft. I'll look when I leave here. If I can't find it there, I can always look at Britin," Ted volunteered.

"Thank you. I'm sure Brian isn't thinking about any of that right now. He just wants to see Justin awake," Jennifer explained.

Several hours passed and Jennifer wanted to see Justin and talk to him if he was up to it. She walked down to the room, feeling that Brian should have had ample time to compose himself, but saw the two sleeping men. She sighed softly, walked over to Justin, kissed him lightly on the forehead and brushed his bangs, and then whispered softly "I love you," before walking out the door.

Returning to the waiting area in front of Michael's room, she sat down, yawning and closing her eyes as she lay her head back against the wall.

Ted spied Jennifer and lightly tapped her on the shoulder, "Let me take you home. I assume since you're already back that Justin is still sleeping. Brian is there; he's not alone. Come back after you've showered and rested."

Jennifer started to shake her head in resistance, but sighed loudly instead. "I think that would be good. Thank you." She walked over to Debbie and gave her a quick hug. "Ted's taking me home. I've been here for hours and Justin still hasn't woken up, but Brian is there with him so he won't be alone. I'll be back this afternoon."

Debbie gave Jennifer a big hug and replied, "You do that, honey. Thanks for calling me. Can't believe that asshole Brian didn't call me, but he called Ben instead. I'm Michael's mother," Debbie chastised Brian, but no one was listening.

Ted and Jennifer left the hospital, and he drove her to her condominium where she was met by Tucker.

"I didn't expect you for hours. The seminar got out early and I stopped here to change. I was just heading out to the hospital," he briefly explained his presence at their home after giving her a quick hug and kiss. "Is he okay? Can I get you something to eat?" he asked solicitously. Holding his hands out, he grabbed Jennifer's hands in his own, squeezing them to show his support.

"Justin has a broken arm, broken collar bone and some broken ribs, but he is going to be fine. Brian is with him and I came home to shower and rest. I'll go back this afternoon. I'm not really hungry, but a cup of tea would be really appreciated," she said quietly and then placed a quick kiss on his cheek. "I'm going to shower. Why don't you brew the tea and bring it to the bedroom. Hopefully it will help me sleep," she directed. As she started up the staircase she turned, addressing Ted, "Thank you for taking me home. Will you be going to the loft to see about the ramp?"

"You're welcome. I'm headed there now. Brian is more than my boss and I'll do anything to help him and Justin out. I'm just sorry to see them having another medical issue to deal with." Ted shook Tucker's hand and left the condo.

"I'm sure he appreciates your friendship. Loaning Michael the ramp and chair would be a great help. Brian always wants to take care of everything," Jennifer commented as she watched Tucker go into the kitchen.

Jennifer showered and changed into a light nightshirt before getting into bed. As she was arranging the pillows, Tucker brought her tea and placed the mug on the night stand. She picked up the cup, blew on the hot liquid and took a small sip. Smiling, she enjoyed the warmth it brought her chilled body. "That's perfect," she said after drinking two thirds of the cup. Replacing the cup, she snuggled into the blankets and Tucker gave her a soft kiss on the lips.

"Sleep. I'll be here when you get up. I took the liberty of calling Molly and she said she would stop at the hospital on the way home from work.

Jennifer closed her eyes and fell asleep quickly. She slept for four hours, and when she woke it was three in the afternoon. She stretched, luxuriating in the feel of the soft sheets and warm blanket surrounding her. When she glanced at the clock and saw the time, she was confused as to the reason she would be sleeping at that time of the day. She sat up and glanced at the cup of tea, and the memories came flooding back. She got out of bed quickly and dressed in clean clothing, and then made her way downstairs to find Tucker balancing the check book.

"Ahh, you're awake. Feel better?" he asked as he got up to kiss her.

"I'm rested, but I really need to go back to the hospital. Surely Justin is up by now, and I don't want him to think that I wasn't there for him," Jennifer chastised herself.

Tucker wrapped his arms around her, giving her a big hug. "Shh. I just got off the phone with Justin. He didn't want to wake you so he called my cell. He says he's fine and for you not to worry. He's got Brian there and he'll see you whenever you get there." Tucker led Jennifer to the table, motioning for her to sit down. "You need to eat and then we can go down to the hospital." Tucker made Jennifer a sandwich, and Jennifer ate a few bites.

"I'm so glad that he has Brian. I remember... the first time... He was all alone--in a coma... and then..." Jennifer stammered as she started to cry.

Tucker went behind the chair and hugged her as he attempted to calm her. "That was a long time ago, Jenn. Brian and Justin are a couple today and have been there for each other for almost eight years. He's not alone anymore," he whispered as he placed soft kisses in her hair.

She grabbed the napkin and dried her tears as she clutched Tucker's hands. "I know. I'm so proud of both of them. I'm just being..."

"You're being a mom and Justin and Molly are the luckiest kids in the world. Now let's go down and see Justin. Regardless, everyone always wants to see their mom."

Jennifer stood up and hugged Tucker, kissing his neck and mouth with lots of quick pecks. "I love you. Thank you."

They drove to the hospital, going directly to the fifth floor. "Did I tell you that Justin is in the same room that Brian was in a few years ago when he had his accident? It's a little creepy," Jennifer informed Tucker as they walked off the elevator.

They came to the room and knocked before entering, as Jennifer had witnessed more than she cared to with those two men. They heard both Brian and Justin yell ‘Enter', and they walked into the room.

"Oh sweetheart," Jennifer cried as she hugged Justin.

Justin winced at the movement, but tried to make light of it, "Mom, I only broke my arm, my collar bone and a few ribs. I'll be fine," Justin admonished.

Jennifer stood up and dried her tears again, finding a chair to sit in. "I'm sorry. It's just... you look so vulnerable there in that hospital bed."

"Mom, I'm fine. Really. The doc says I'll have a few days of therapy and then I can go home. Wonder if Jose is still here? Wouldn't it be ironic if I had to have therapy with him?" Justin asked as he looked at Brian.

"There's nothing funny about therapy, Justin. It's a bitch and having a cast is hell," Brian stated emphatically. Brian was restless in his seat, crossing his legs back and forth and fiddling with the Kleenex box. "Why don't you visit with Mother Taylor while I go out for a bit? I've seen enough of this room for awhile," Brian announced as he walked toward the door. Stopping before he walked out, he turned around, bent down and kissed Justin on the lips as he whispered, "Later," to him.

Justin smiled at their familiar address and returned the salutation, "Later."

"Is everything okay, Justin?" Jennifer asked solicitously, recognizing the agitation in her son-in-law.

Justin smiled, assuring his mother, "Everything's fine. He's just tired. We had a really long day at the convention, and then the accident, and then the waiting. It's taken its toll on Brian. He'll be back in a little while. Besides, he probably wants to see Michael, but hasn't wanted to leave me alone. You know how protective he is," Justin explained.

"I suppose you're right. Do you remember the accident?"

Justin shook his head as he sat up in bed. Attempting to rearrange his pillows to support his ribs and his cast, he motioned for his mother to hand him another pillow that was at the edge of the bed. "This thing is really heavy and it's a bitch to move when breathing hurts. The collar bone break doesn't help any. At least the break on the collar bone is on the same side as the broken arm. Otherwise, I'd be hard put to move." He rested on the pillows and took a deep cleansing breath. "Thanks. No, I don't remember the accident. I was tired and Brian told me to rest while he drove home. I think I was probably sleeping when we were hit by the car. Brian told me that we were at a stoplight when the other car hit us."

"Well at least you won't have flashbacks," Tucker said hopefully.

"Probably not, since I was out of it at the scene and didn't wake up till they got me in the room. At least this time, Brian won't be trying to help me remember," Justin said wistfully.

"Oh Justin," Jennifer exclaimed. "I know the b..."

"Mom," Justin said gently, grabbing her hand in his. "You can say it. It's okay. I remember most of the bashing and I recovered from it. This broken arm will be inconvenient, but it's not life threatening. Just think, Brian will have to wait on me this time." Justin smiled as he thought of the prospect. His stomach growled and he placed his hand over the area. "What time is it? I'm starving."

Jennifer smiled at Justin's words. "So you're going to make my son-in-law wait on you. This I have to see. Brian Kinney at your beck and call." She looked at her watch. "It's 5:30. They'll probably be bringing your dinner soon."

Justin frowned. "Unless the food has vastly improved, I'll still be hungry afterwards. Do you think you could go to the little diner across the street and bring me a burger and fries?" Justin asked, batting his eyelashes.

Laughing out loud, Jennifer answered, "Of course, sweetheart. Do you think Brian would like anything? I could bring him back something too."

"Don't know. He probably went down to see Michael. Why don't you try his room? I'll be fine," Justin assured her.

Jennifer and Tucker left Justin's room, returning to the part of the 5th floor where Michael's room was located. They looked at the waiting area in that section and found it empty; then they tried Michael's room. Knocking on the door, they were told to enter and they found Debbie, Ben and Hunter gathered around Michael's bed.

"Hi Jennifer, Tucker," Debbie greeted them.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to intrude. How is Michael?" Jennifer asked quietly.

"He woke up a little while ago, but he's in a lot of pain so they've got him dosed up pretty good. The drugs put him out pretty quickly. We were all just getting ready to leave. The nurse said he'll be out for another three hours at least. We're headed to the cafeteria for dinner. Do you want to join us?" Debbie motioned to the group as they walked out of the room.

"Um thanks, but Justin wanted me to get him a burger from the diner across the street. He seems to remember that the food here isn't the best." She smiled a fake smile. "Actually, have you seen Brian? I was going to see if he wanted anything."

‘No, can't say that I have seen him. I just assumed he was with Sunshine. Don't tell me he's running away again. I'll kill that little asshole," Debbie remarked, the anger obvious in her voice.

"I'm sure he isn't running away. He stayed with Justin all night and all day. He said he was going out. Maybe he remembers the food and went to get himself something to eat," Jennifer theorized.

Debbie shook her head in agreement. "I'm sure that's what happened. Well, we've got to be going. Don't want Michael to wake up all alone," Debbie replied as she turned and walked toward the elevator that would take her to the cafeteria.

Jennifer shrugged and turned toward Tucker. "I hope Debbie isn't right and Brian isn't running away. It would just kill Justin." Jennifer and Tucker went to the diner where they ordered Justin's food and a salad for Brian. They picked up small sandwiches for themselves as well.

"I'm sure there is a logical explanation for Brian's absence and he'll be there when we get back," Tucker assured her as he glanced at his watch. "It's been almost an hour and half since he left."

They returned to Justin's room, but Brian was no where to be found.