- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

almost the end of the story- just a few more chapters

"Mom, I'm hungry.  Can I have some money to go the snack bar?"

Lindsay opened her purse and dug around, but closed it without pulling out any money.  "I'm sorry, sweetie.  I don't have any money.  I must have forgotten to stop at the ATM."

J.R. looked at her mom with disdain.  "You never have any money!  Every time I ask for something you're always going on about how it costs so much."

Lindsay winced at J.R.'s observance.  "It costs a lot of money to raise two children.  We just don't have a lot of extra right now.  Gus' game is almost over.  When we leave here, we'll go straight home and have a big sandwich."

J. R. stomped her feet in frustration.  "Gus doesn't even live with us anymore, so we should have lots of money."  J.R turned quickly and ran toward Brian and Justin before Lindsay knew what was happening.

Lindsay sighed loudly as she watched her daughter, realizing that her secret was about to become public knowledge.

"Hey Uncle Brian,"  J.R. said as she hugged her favorite uncle. 

"How are you today?  Gus is playing very well.  I bet you're proud of him."

"I'm hungry and Mama doesn't have any money.  Can you buy me something from the snack bar?"

"Sure.  I bet she forgot to go to the ATM," Justin said.

"She must forget to go to the ATM a lot.  She never has any money."

"Well, we can't let you go hungry.  Let's see what they have at the snack bar."  Justin grabbed J.R.'s hand and they walked over to the concession stand, leaving Brian to talk to Lindsay.

Brian walked over to Lindsay, who was sitting by herself, away from the other parents.  "Where's Mel?"

"Working.  She's got a big case coming up."

"I see.  Let's take a walk, Linds."  Brian motioned and Lindsay got up to walk with him.

They walked for a few minutes, neither saying anything.  "What the fuck is going on?  Yesterday you start with Gus, and today J.R. tells me you never have any money."

"It's expensive raising children."

Brian didn't respond, just waited for her to continue.  He looked at Justin and J.R at the snack bar and saw that they were almost to the front of the line.

Lindsay looked surreptitiously around, making sure that no one was paying any attention to them. "Money is tight right now.  I thought that if Gus were living with you, it might improve our situation, but I was wrong."

"So this is all about money.  What the fuck!"

"About ten years ago, Mel and I took out a new mortgage on the house.  Things were going well.  We both had good jobs and you were helping with Gus' expenses, but it had a balloon payment to it and now it's due.  We're really trying to swing this, but things are tight.  Mel is working extra to pick up some additional billable hours, and I've been teaching several classes at the community college..." Lindsay felt her eyes well up and the tears threatened to spill, but she wiped her eyes before they could.

"So you thought you'd pawn your own son to lower your expenses?" Brian hissed at the disgust he felt.

Lindsay shook her head in despair, acknowledging her decision.

"I'm glad Gus isn't here to hear this."  Brian paced back and forth for a few minutes while his mind raced.  "How much do you need?"

"$10,000.  The balloon payment is $8,500 but we owe a penalty already, and if we don't pay it soon..." she trailed off without finishing her statement.

"Come to the office on Monday.  I'll have Ted write you a check.  There is a condition with this.  Gus stays with me.  No arguments.  No discussion.  No son of mine is going to be used as part of your games.  Understood?"

Lindsay wiped her tears and hugged Brian.  "Thank you."

"Don't thank me.  I'm not doing this for you.  I'm doing it for Gus.  He needs to know that he's wanted.  So does that little girl of yours.  I suggest you and Mel think long and hard about your parenting decisions."  He turned, not waiting for an answer to his decree. 

Returning to Gus' game, he arrived just in time to see Gus make a goal.  His cheers were louder than all the other parents combined. 

"Everything okay?" Justin asked as he looked at the frown on Brian's face.

"Everything is fine.  Gus will be going home with us tonight and there won't be any discussion about him returning to the Munchers," Brian declared as he put his thumb up for Gus to see his approval of his goal.

"That's great news.  How'd you manage that?" Justin leaned over and whispered in his ear.

"We'll discuss it later.  Right now I want to concentrate on Gus' game."

After the game, Gus came over to where Brian and Justin were sitting.  "Hey Dad.  Did you see me make that goal?  Wasn't it awesome?" Gus opened the cooler that sat at Justin's feet, grabbing a bottle of Gatorade.

"You were fabulous as always.  You're a Kinney after all.  Grab your gear, you need to shower and then we have some errands to run."

Gus frowned.  "Ahhh, I was hoping to see Sam this afternoon."

"He can join us.  Tell him to be ready in two hours.  That should give us time to go home, shower and come back into town. 

Gus ran toward his friend, Sam and whispered in his ear their plans for the afternoon.  Sam grinned and slapped Gus on the back.  Gus returned to where Brian and Justin were standing, grabbed his gear and walked with his fathers to their car.

Once seated in the car, Gus asked, "Dad, what kind of errands do we have to run?  I didn't think there was anything we had to do today."

Brian put the key in the ignition and started the car, pulling out of the parking lot.

"I had a little chat with your mother while you were playing today.  We agreed that you will be living with Justin and me permanently.  We need to go by the house and get the rest of your things."

"Brian, that's great.  I thought for sure Linds was going to change her mind."  Justin lay his hand on Brian's thigh for support.

"She agreed that it was best for everyone involved to let Gus stay where he is."  Brian turned around and looked at Gus when he stopped at the red light.  "Let's say we grab your gear and then Sam and you can join us for an early dinner.  You need to sleep tonight so you can win the tournament tomorrow."

"That'd be great."  Gus pulled his phone out and texted Sam the plans.   A quick bing announced his response.  Gus looked at the text and announced, "He can't wait.  He always hated going to my house.  Said the tension in there was so thick you could cut it with a knife."

"Well, you won't have to worry about that anymore.  The Munchers won't be telling you what to do.  I guess that leaves Justin and me for that chore."

"I always listen to you two, Dad.  You guys are great."  Gus smiled his Kinney smile and Justin's heart warmed.

"You're a great kid, Gus.  Congrats on the win today.  One more game tomorrow and you guys will have made a full sweep."  Justin turned around and high-fived Gus.

"Thanks.  I can't believe Mom changed her mind so easily.  I know she said I could stay with you guys a few weeks ago, but I really wondered after yesterday when she insisted that I come home.  Whatever you said must have been pretty persuasive."  Gus took off his soccer cleats, putting on his sandals.  "That feels better."  He wiggled his toes, allowing to stretch unencumbered.

"Don't leave your soccer cleats in the car.  I don't want the car smelling like sweat,"  Brian reminded him. 

"I thought you like the smell of sweat," Justin teased.

"Hey guys... impressionable kid in back."

"Just checking to see if you're paying attention," Justin kidded.

"Dad, after we pick up my gear, can we go out to dinner?  I'd love to hang with Sam for a while."

"I'm sure that can be arranged.  What did you have in mind?"

"Actually, I've been telling him about the diner. He's never been to Liberty Avenue and I thought he'd like the diner."

Brian groaned.  "It's bad enough I have to eat there during the week, but on weekends too."

"It's okay.  We can go somewhere else," Gus said, trying to hide the disappointment in his voice.

"Gus, your Dad is just kidding.  He can eat anywhere he wants during the weekdays, but he chooses to eat at the diner a few times a week.  I know he eats his breakfast there most days and hangs out with the guys."

Gus grinned and bounced in his seat a few times.  "This will be so cool.  Sam will get to see my old room at the Mom's and then see Britin and get to eat at the diner.  Do you think Grandma Debbie will be working?  She's been after to me to bring him to meet her."

"I don't know if she'll be working tonight, but since you're living with us now, I'm sure we can arrange to have Sam go with you to the diner when she is working," Justin informed him.

"This is so cool.  I'm having the best weekend."

They arrived at Britin, and Gus went upstairs to shower, dropping his soccer uniform in the wash and leaving his cleats in the garage.  Brian went into the media room, sitting down on the couch, and Justin joined him.  Brian bit a corner of his lip and lay his head back on the cushion of the couch. 

Looking at the exasperation on Brian's face, Justin whispered, "Are you going to tell me what happened at the ball field?"

Brian listened until he heard the shower come on before answering.  "Money.  It's all about fucking money.  The Munchers took out a new mortgage with a balloon payment and it came due, except they didn't have the money to pay it."

Justin turned toward Brian and gently massaged his temples.  "Huh?"

"I stopped giving them money directly when he started high school, agreeing to pay his tuition at St. James.  It seems that they were counting on my money to pay the payment.  The money is due and they don't have it."

"I still don't understand."  Justin leaned over giving Brian a soft kiss on his lips.

"In their 'infinite wisdom'". Brian made quotations with his fingers.  "They figured if Gus wasn't living with them, they could get a few more dollars in their bank account and pay some of the payment."

"That doesn't make any sense.  Gus doesn't cost that much."

"He eats more than you do and he's always needing something for school.  They probably could save a few thousand a month if he lived with me."

"How awful, pawning your own kid off so you could save a few bucks."  Justin stopped his massage and gave Brian a hug.  "So what did you do?"

"I fucking told Lindsay that I would give her the money, but she was not to say another word about Gus returning to their house."

"Shit.  I hope Gus never hears about it."

"Exactly.  I also told her that she should watch her parenting with J.R. I wonder if she would have pawned her off on Michael and Ben."

"I just can't believe them.  There is a silver lining.  We get to have Gus live with us."  Justin walked over to the bar and grabbed a water.  "Want anything to drink?"

"I'd love a drink, but I don't think you and I are thinking the same kind of drink.  A water will do for now."

Justin grabbed two waters and brought them to the couch.  "You're a good man, Brian.  Don't forget that."  Justin kissed him and Brian returned the kiss.

As they were kissing, Gus came downstairs.  "Cut it out, you two.  Please don't embarrass me in front of Sam this afternoon.  It's bad enough that you two can't stop joking about your sex life, but do you have to grope each other all the time?"

Brian and Justin pulled apart as they laughed at Gus' indignation.

"We'll try to keep our 'groping' to a minimum.  As for our sex talk, we'll try but your Dad has always teased everyone about that area of our life and it will be a hard habit to break."

"I beg your pardon.  You seem to enjoy me hard,"  Brian said, tongue-in-cheek.

Gus rolled his eyes at his fathers.  "Can we leave now?  Sam is waiting and I can't wait to show him everything.

Brian grabbed the keys and they drove into town.  They picked up Sam before they went to Mel and Lindsay's house.

"Big guy, you finally get to see my room."  Gus play hit Sam on the shoulder. 

"I didn't think you lived in a cave.  Of course you show it to me, now that you're moving out to the middle of nowhere."

Everyone laughed at Sam's playful banter.  "I'm not moving out to nowhere.  It's just West Virginia and I'll still be going to school everyday.  I bet Dad will let me drive soon and come and get you.  You could 'spend a day in the country, getting lots of fresh air and enjoying the grounds'," Gus said in a fake
sophisticated voice.

"Geez, Gus.  We're just ordinary people, not some rich hoity toity millionaires," Justin said.  "Although... your Dad did say he bought Britin for his prince.  So I guess I'm a prince."

"Dadddd.  Tell me you did not say that to Justin.  He's pulling my leg, right?"

Brian grinned at the exchange.  "Sonny Boy, I hate to break it to you, but Justin's right.  I did buy Britin for my prince to show him that I would do anything to prove to him that I loved him."

"I think I'm going to puke.  I can't believe you said that shit to Justin.  That sounds like dialogue right out of some romance novel like the girls are always reading at lunchtime."

"Your Dad can be ridiculously romantic at times.  You'd be surprised."

"Enough, you two.  You promised," Gus reminded them as he turned toward Sam.  "So did you see my winning goal?  I can't believe Harkness was able to get the ball right to me."

"Of course I saw your goal.  I was watching you the whole time.  Love you in your uniform."  Sam leaned over to kiss Gus on the cheek and as he got closer, Gus pulled him in for a mouth kiss. 

"They're way cooler than the Moms about stuff like that.  They're two gay men.  So come on and kiss me properly," Gus said softly.

Sam leaned over and kissed Gus and Gus kissed him back, enjoying the dueling tongue of his boyfriend.

"We're here.  Stop the tonsil hockey, Gus, and get your ass up to your bedroom.  I'd like to stay as little in this house as possible."

"Sure Dad.  Come on Sam.  You finally get to see my room, but my space at Britin is way cooler."

Gus and Sam went up to his room and started packing the boxes that Brian had bought on their way over to the house.  Justin and Brian followed the young men up the stairs and packed the books and clothing, leaving the knick knacks to Gus and Sam.  With the four of them packing, they were able to complete the job in a few hours. They brought the boxes to the car, and when they were putting the last box in the car, Lindsay returned with J.R.  

J.R. raced out of the car to hug her brother.  "Mom says you're not going to live here anymore--that you're staying with Uncle Brian and Uncle Justin all the time now.  Is that true?  Cause if it is, I don't want you to go."

Gus sat on the curb and motioned for his sister to do the same.  He turned toward her and gave her a big hug.  "I'll miss you too, but I need to live with my dad and Justin. I'll see you, and maybe Mom and Mama will let you come see me on weekends.  I'm sure Dad or Justin will come get you.  They're always in the Pitts.  You can come see me at Kinnetik too.  Maybe Dad will let me drive his car some afternoon to come and pick you up.  And of course you can call me anytime you want."

She nodded her head.  "Yeah, but it really sucks that you won't be here.  Of course I might see you more now that you're living with Uncle Brian and Uncle Justin.  You weren't here a lot these last few months."  She hugged him and the two siblings stood up.

"Okay Dad and Justin.  Let's get this show on the road.  Can we go to the diner now?  I'm starving."

Brian laughed and Justin grinned at Gus.  "Of course you are.  You may not be related to Justin by blood, but you sure have his metabolism.  He's always hungry.  Come on you two, get in the car.  The diner is calling us."  Turning toward Justin, Brian lamented, "Fatherhood.  Remind me why I thought this was a good idea.  My food bill's going to triple."

Justin rolled his eyes and Sam and Gus laughed at Brian.  Brian parked in front of the diner and they all got out to eat.

As they opened the door and the bell jangled, Debbie looked up from the cash register.  "Brian.  Sunshine! Gus!"  She eyed Sam and said, "And you must be Sam.  Gus talks about you all the time."  Turning toward Gus, she said, "You're right, he's a cutie.  That blond hair and cute bubble butt... reminds me of Justin a little.  Guess you Kinney men are attracted to blonds with cute butts."  Waving toward the booth in the back, she told them, "Your booth is empty.  Take a seat and I'll be there in a minute to take your order."

Sam blushed at Debbie's remark. "Is she always like that?"

"That's Grandma Debbie.  Tact is not in her vocabulary, but everybody loves her.  We better sit down and figure out what to order.  The menu is pretty big but I've been looking at it since before I could read, and I could probably quote it in my sleep."

They sat in the back booth and everyone took out the menu.  "I thought you said the menu doesn't change and you knew it by heart?"

"Sure I do, but I still like to look.  Sometimes certain things call to me.  Be sure to save room for dessert.  The diner has the best lemon bars."

They ordered and their food arrived quickly.  Sam and Gus were hungry, as teenage boys always are, and ate without much interruption.  Brian and Justin watched the two young men as they ate their meals a little slower.  Brian stole a few fries off Justin's plate as Justin conveniently turned his plate to give easy access to the fries.

"Why do you do that, Dad?"

"Do what, Sonny Boy?"

"Eat Justin's fries instead of ordering your own.  Everyone knows that you eat Justin's fries and he even turns his plate toward you.  It's silly.  Why not order your own?"

Justin laughed at Gus' question.  "If he ordered them, then he would have to admit that he wanted them.  By eating mine, he doesn't have to admit that he's eating them, so it doesn't count."

"That's just stupid.  Dad, I don't understand you sometimes."  Gus returned to his hamburger and ate his fries. 

"Thank you for dinner, Mr. Kinney.  It was good."

Brian nearly choked on the piece of chicken he was chewing.  "Do not call me Mr. Kinney," he brandished.  "That is my father!"

Sam looked at Gus for guidance.  "What should he call you, Dad?"

Brian thought for a minute and looked toward Justin for guidance.  "How about Mr. K and Mr. J.  That   doesn't sound too old," Justin said.

"Still too formal, Justin.  I'm only Mister when I talk to an intern.  I like BK and JT.  What do you think, Justin?"

Justin shrugged.  "Sounds okay to me.  BK and JT it is."

"Can we go now?  The afternoon is burning and I still want to show Sam Britin."

Brian threw some money down for a generous tip, then took the bill to the counter and paid it.  He ordered a dozen lemon bars as well.  They returned to the car and Justin held the precious lemon bars on his lap.

They drove to Britin and unloaded the boxes from the car.  Brian and Justin took up the clothing and placed the books in the media room. 

"Gus, you're responsible for shelving your books and DVDs by the time the weekend is over,"  Brian directed him. 

"No problem.  Can Sam help me unload my stuff upstairs or do we have to go back to the city now?"

"You can unload your stuff for two hours, and then we've got to take Sam back.  You've got an early game and need your sleep."

"You sound just like the Moms.  I'm seventeen and practically an adult." Gus reminded them.

Justin laughed and turned toward the media room with Brian close behind.  They settled on the couch, with Justin leaning against Brian's chest.  "This is really nice being able to lean against you without any barriers."

Brian nuzzled his neck and kissed him several times on his temple.  "Your broken arm was a real pain for both of us.  Glad you got rid of your sling.  I can't wait to go on our trip."

"Me too.  I'm wiped.  Can I close my eyes and take a little nap while Gus and Sam are upstairs?" Justin asked as he felt his eyelids closing.

"I think I'll join you.  Let the youngsters play for a while."

Brian and Justin fell asleep on the couch, and that is where the boys found them several hours later.

TBC