- Text Size +

Justin was seated on Brian's left side, and he leaned into his chest, enjoying the closeness of his partner. They watched the movie in relative silence, even though both men had already seen it. Justin purred and Brian turned his head toward him.

"What's with the noise? It sounded like a cat?" Brian said lazily.

"I'm no cat, just content. It's nice leaning against you, watching a DVD with no interruptions. Everybody is still visiting Michael and content to leave us alone. It's just really nice to have you all to myself," Justin explained.

"I see. So you want me all to yourself?" Brian said mischievously.

"Brian, I love you and we have a great life, but sometimes I want to get off the merry-go-round and sit and smell the roses. When I was a kid, my mother used to read me a story called "Ferdinand the Bull". It was about this bull that was bred for the bullfights, but all he wanted to do was sit in the pasture and smell the flowers. He wanted to enjoy the little things in life," Justin said as he leaned forward to give Brian a quick kiss.

"So I'm ‘the little things in life'," Brian teased.

"You know that nothing on you is little. I'm just saying...," Justin attempted to explain.

"I get it, Justin. Our lives are very full. You have your painting and the frequent trips to attend the various openings and art showings that are a part of your world. I have Kinnetik and the numerous meetings, both in town and out that are required in my business. We also have a large extended family who requires we attend their many functions, from school plays to soccer tournaments, and there isn't a lot of down time. Do you want our lives to be different?" Brian asked sincerely.

Justin thought for a few moments before answering, "Maybe. No. I don't know," he stammered.

"Well Sunshine, for the next few weeks it will be very different. You won't be going anywhere but these four walls, or rather this half acre. Maybe after spending that much time not going anywhere, you'll sing a different tune," Brian answered, tongue-in-cheek. "Shall we finish the movie or are you ready for bed?"

"Finish the movie. I've only seen it three times, and I need to know how it ends," Justin teased Brian regarding his love for watching the same movie numerous times. "I'm feeling good right now and I'd like to stay up as long as possible."

They watched the end of the DVD, then Brian put it back in the case, and placed it on the shelf. Gathering the dirty dishes, he brought them to the kitchen, placing them in the sink for Rosa to wash tomorrow. He checked the locks on the doors and set the security alarm, then grabbed Justin's pills and several bottles of water, and returned to the media room.

"Ready for bed?" Brian inquired.

"I'm beat. Who would have thought that watching TV could be so tiring?" Justin said, attempted to get up but couldn't use his arm for leverage. "Bri, a little help, please."

Brian wrapped his arm lightly around Justin and helped him up.

"Thanks," Justin said as he let out his breath. "At least I can use the railings on the stairwell for leverage," he commented. Justin walked up the stairs and into the bedroom. "Think I can take a shower? I feel really gross," Justin said hopefully.

"Sure. Let me get the plastic wrap to wrap your cast. At least your arm is so much smaller than my leg. Pull your good arm out," he directed. With Brian holding the shirt out, Justin pulled his good arm out with little difficulty. Brian pulled the shirt over Justin's head and then slid it down his broken arm.

"That was easy. Where'd you learn that trick?" Justin inquired.

"Remember broken collar bone? Liberty Ride? Ahh, that's right. You left for Hollywood shortly after my little fiasco. Well, you learn a lot of survival techniques when you have to," Brian commented without judgment. He brought out the plastic wrap and wrapped Justin's arm, turning on the water for the shower. "At least you can stand in the shower. I never felt clean when I had to use the shower chair."

Brian helped Justin take off his pants and stripped off his own clothing as well. They stepped in the shower and Justin stood under the spray.

"Ahh, heaven," Justin sighed.

"And here I thought I was heaven," Brian teased. "Turn around so I can get your back," Brian directed. Brian grabbed the body wash, squirting some on the sponge and washed Justin's back. He kissed his neck, giving light kisses to the exposed flesh. He washed his arms next and then put the sponge on the shelf and grabbed the shampoo. He poured some in his hands and began washing Justin's hair.

"I love when you wash my hair. It gives me tingles all over." Justin shivered as Brian kissed his neck.

"Turn around so I can rinse your hair out." Brian reached over Justin and rinsed his hair. When he was finished, he kissed his blond on the lips.

Justin moaned his pleasure into Brian's lips. He wrapped his hands around Brian's waist, but felt his collarbone shift and his ribs protested the movement. "Ahh," he yelled, the pain searing through him. He dropped his arms immediately and attempted to take a few shallow breaths, his face turning ashen white.

"Easy, easy," Brian urged. "We're almost done. Let me wash the front of you and then you can take some more pain pills." Brian quickly washed Justin's torso and groin area, not lingering as he usually would in that sensitive area. He grabbed the shower hose, unhinged it from the holder and ran the water quickly over Justin. "You're done." He reached behind Justin and turned off the water, opened the shower door and grabbed a towel from the warmer.

He gently dried Justin, patting down his torso with bare touches to avoid any additional pain. He draped the towel around Justin's shoulders and tied a second one around his waist to keep him warm. He grabbed a towel from the rack and quickly dried himself. Justin walked to the bed and Brian took the towels off him, pulled back the duvet and Justin carefully got in bed. He remained sitting up until Brian handed him his pills and a glass of water. After taking his medication, he lay down and closed his eyes. Brian shut off the light and returned to the bathroom with the wet towels. He hung up the towels, brushed his teeth and combed his hair, and joined Justin in their bed. Justin lay on his back, the easiest position for his injuries. Brian draped his arm across Justin's torso, the closest action he could provide to holding him. They slept the entire night without waking.

*******

Debbie came to the hospital after her early morning shift. "Hi, Michael. How are you this morning?" she asked as she leaned down, giving him a large kiss on the cheek and then smearing off her lipstick.

"I'm fine, Ma. I had my first session with Jose, the therapist, this morning."

"That's wonderful. So when are they letting you out of here?" she asked as she opened the blinds and grabbed one of his plastic wrapped cups. "These plants need watering or they'll die. I'll be right back," she informed Michael and she disappeared into the bathroom and returned with a cup filled with water. She poured water into the plants, returning several times to the bathroom for more water. "There, that's better," she proclaimed.

"I'm going to see Justin when I leave here. I understand that asshole Brian left the other night and didn't come back. It's not right. He should be here with his partner," she informed Michael.

"Ma, don't get involved. Brian and Justin are grown men and they'll be fine. Besides, Justin went home this morning. Brian came to see me while they were waiting for the doctor to sign the papers."

"Sunshine went home! That's wonderful. I'm sure Jennifer is relieved." She walked to the bed and gave Michael a big kiss on the cheek.

"Ma," Michael said exasperated. "Jennifer's relieved, but I'm sure Brian is very happy not to have Justin here. Did you know that he was in the same room that Brian was in after his incident?" Michael informed her.

"No shit!" Debbie paused for a moment. "Well, I'm ecstatic that he's home. I'll have to make some tuna casserole and take it over. Lord knows Brian isn't going to cook for Sunshine."

Michael rolled his eyes, but chose to keep quiet. "So, how's Carl?" Michael asked, trying to change the subject.

"Carl's fine. He's been working a big case. Did I tell you that he's talking about retiring?"

"I hope his retirement isn't going to be like yours. I don't think anything more can fit in your place," Michael jested.

"Michael Charles Novotny, I'll have you know that I had the Goodwill out just last month to pick up a donation," Debbie defended. "We're talking about buying a Winnebago and driving all over the country. He's always wanted to travel." Debbie walked around and looked at the cards in each of the arrangements. "Who is Peter? I don't know any Peter?" she questioned Michael.

"Peter's our publisher. When he heard about the accident, he was really upset. He called me and Justin to find out how we were. Personal calls, not his secretary."

"That was nice. I'm glad you have other people besides the family who care about you." Debbie continued to look at the cards. "This one is from the girls and JR. Gus didn't sign it?"

"Gus gave me the balloons. He told me that he didn't like flowers or plants and that hospitals were gloomy enough, so he thought balloons would cheer me up. He brought it by yesterday afternoon."

"He's a good boy. The girls have brought him up well," Debbie said.

"Brian's a good dad, too. He has a lot to do with how Gus is turning out. And to think he didn't believe he would make a good dad," Michael defended Brian as he was used to doing.

"I guess he is. I never would have believed that Brian Kinney would make a good dad, but I guess you are right. Did the asshole come to see you?"

"Yes. I told you he came by this morning."

"I guess I didn't hear you. Do you want anything? I'm going down to the cafeteria to grab some lunch. The food isn't nearly as good as the diner, but I gotta eat."

"No thanks. I'm not hungry and Ben's going to stop by before his afternoon class to bring me a burger," Michael explained. "Ma, why don't you go home and rest? I'm fine, and Jose will probably be back in a little while for more therapy. I think I'd like to take a nap," Michael said in an attempt to get Debbie to leave.

She got up and kissed him on his cheek again, wiping off the lipstick. "If you're sure? I am a little tired. I had to be at work at 5:30 this morning. Carl is always trying to convince me to work just the lunch shift. He's so good to me. I hate that I met him because Jason died, but I guess everything has a reason."

"Bye Ma. Say ‘Hi' to Carl for me," Michael offered as his mom left the room. He closed his eyes and rested for a while until Jose returned for his afternoon session.

After his session, Ben came by with the promised hamburger and fries. He placed them on the tray and pushed the tray to the bed. Michael picked up the burger and bit into it with relish. "This is so good. Thanks. I now really appreciate all the food that Justin used to bring Brian. Speaking of Brian, have you been by the loft?"

"Not yet. I planned on going after my class. I'm going by the house and picking up your toiletries, some clothing for both of us and my lecture notes. I know we'll be there for a while, so I want to have as many of our things as possible. Is there anything you want me to bring?"

Michael was quiet for a few minutes while he did a silent inventory of his home. "Yeah, can you bring me my current story notes of Rage? This accident will make a great story line. Rage saves Zephyr and JT from the evil car accident," Michael mocked.

"Don't you think you should discuss that idea with Justin and Brian? It may be a little close to home," Ben urged.

"Nonsense. If Rage could save JT from a bashing, surely he won't mind a car accident. Besides, we're both fine, if a little worse for wear," Michael assured his partner.

"Okay, Michael. You've known Brian longer than any of us," Ben acquiesced.

"He's my best friend. Of course I know him better than any of you. I'm just glad that he and Justin worked it out. I wasn't too sure about them at first and I really didn't think Justin would stick around after Brian's incident, but I'm glad I was wrong."

"Me too. Justin and Brian have a great relationship now, and Brian even admits it's a relationship these days," Ben remarked as he remembered the first years he knew the two men. "They've come a long way. I'm sure Brian having Justin as his Medical Proxy and giving him Power of Attorney made a huge difference."

"Justin doesn't care about that stuff, but I guess it probably did make a difference. I know it made me realize how much Justin meant to him, even if they weren't together. I'm glad they figured it out," Michael commented. "What are your plans for the evening, besides going to the house?"

"I figure that will take most of the evening. I promised Hunter I would stop by and see the plans for the extension to the Center. He's really done a great job with it. I'm so proud of him." Ben smiled with fatherly pride.

"Who would've thunk that Hunter would be where he is today--head of the Youth Center," Michael agreed, smiling with pride.

Ben leaned down to give Michael a hearty kiss on the lips. "I've got to get to class. I'll call you tonight. Love you," he said as he walked out the door.

The place was quiet. I can really appreciate Brian's comments about the hospital. It is a revolving door; between therapists, nurses, doctors and family, I haven't had twenty minutes to myself.

The aide brought Michael his dinner and he ate most of it. He flipped on the television and watched The Simpsons and Family Guy before the nurse came in to give him his evening pain medication.

Several days later, Michael was released from the hospital. Ben had borrowed Drew's SUV to bring him home from the hospital. The trip was pretty uneventful as Brian had briefed them on the intricacies of getting into the loft. Michael used the wheelchair without complaining and was settled in the loft by mid-morning. Brian had come to assist, but found that his help wasn't needed.

"The fridge is stocked and the cleaning lady is scheduled to come by twice a week. If you need her more often, just tell me and I'll tell the service," Brian reminded Michael and Ben.

"Brian, we're perfectly capable of cleaning up after ourselves. We don't have a service at the house," Ben reminded him.

"Professor, the service comes regardless so don't complain." He pointed out the ramp that was placed over the few steps leading to the bedroom. "It's hard to roll up that ramp, Mikey. Better let the professor push you up."

"Brian, thanks for all your help and letting us use your home, but I think we have it covered. Don't you need to be getting back to Justin?" Ben suggested.

"He's fine. Rosa is there with him. After I leave here, I'm going to Kinnetik for a few hours. Make sure that Theodore hasn't sold all my assets," Brian said, tongue-in-cheek.

"Okay. Thanks for coming. Are you bringing Justin tomorrow for Sunday dinner? Ma's bringing her lasagna and I know Justin will probably want to get out by then." Michael reminded him.

"You kidding? Justin is not about to miss Debbie's lasagna. I'm sure he'll have cabin fever by then. See you, Mikey, Professor." Brian opened the heavy door and walked to the elevator.

He spent a few hours at Kinnetik and then returned home to West Virgina. "Sunshine, I brought you a present," he called out when he entered the home.

Justin walked into the foyer and looked at Brian. "Where? What'd you bring me?" he asked eagerly.

Brian brandished a bag from behind his back. "Lemon bars. I stopped by the diner and got a dozen for you."

Justin smiled and took the bag from Brian. "Thanks. Rosa said dinner would be ready in an hour. I'll put them in the kitchen. Want to join me in the bedroom before dinner?" Justin waggled his eyebrows.

"Sounds like the best offer I've had all day," Brian said as he licked his lips.

They walked up the stairs, closing the door behind them. "You sure, Justin? I don't want to hurt you," Brian said hesitantly.

I haven't had any pain pills in two days and it's been a week since the accident. The doctor said I should let my body be the judge of my actions, and my body is horny. I want you to suck me off. Maybe I can give you a hand job with my good hand. Sorry, real intercourse is still a ways off," Justin apologized.

"Sorry's bullshit, Justin. Now come here and let's figure this out. How about you lay down on the bed, and I'll suck you off?"

Justin undid his pants, stepping out of them easily. Brian helped him remove his shirt and he lay down on the bed. Brian got undressed quickly and joined him. Brian licked his lips in anticipation. "You sure?" he asked one more time.

"Yes," Justin hissed in anticipation. "Come on."

Brian leaned down, sticking his tongue out to lightly lick Justin's crown. He laved the head with flat swipes of his tongue. Slowly he licked around the edges, swirling his tongue to give Justin immense pleasure. He heard Justin's moan of "mmmm" as he licked down to the bottom of the shaft. Justin spread his legs, giving Brian access to his balls. Brian held the balls, fondling each as he continued to worship Justin's cock.

"Ohh. So good. Yes, Brian, Brian...," Justin moaned in pleasure.

"Enjoy it, Justin," Brian urged. "I want to make you come so hard," he whispered. Brian felt Justin's balls tighten and heard his breath come in short, sharp inhales. He sped up his ministrations, using his hand to pump the shaft as his mouth suckled the crown. Justin arched into Brian's mouth, shooting his load into Brian's mouth.

His breathing was short and he continued to pant afterward. Brian looked up, seeing Justin's ashen face lie against the pillow as the tears fell down his cheek.

"Justin!!!" Brian yelled. "Shit, Mother-Fucker. Justin!!"

Justin continued to cry, the pain of his chest almost unbearable. His breathing was labored. Brian grabbed the phone and dialed 911. He tossed his sweats on and ran down to the door to greet the paramedics.